Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Aimovig

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
BlueMoon1950
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 236
My Mood: Aimovig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey19 View Post
Tomorrow is my next shot of Aimovig 140 mg. The first 30 days at 140mg was a big improvement from 70mg. At 70mg I had several migraines and a lot of minor headaches. 140mg seems to have cleared that up. Iím reviewing with my neurologist next week. My prescription is for 70mg so I want to change to 140mg! My samples will be gone.
Hi godfrey ~ Wanted to reply, as I am on AIMOVIG, have been for 9 months now.

I went from 3-4 migraine a week to 1-2 since going on AIMOVIG. I had Migraine with Aura.

I am on 70 mg of AIMOVIG.

None of the preventatives worked for me, so went to Maxalt as an abortive but that never really worked either. Have had these migraine types since 13.

Found that if I don't give the shot within the 30 day period, migraine comes back with a vengeance and takes awhile to settle down. Have you found this?

I also heard on the AIMOVIG Facebook that in Canada, the AIMOVIG is only given out for one year. I will be calling AIMOVIG next week to re-order and also to ask about if there is a restriction on how many to dispense per year.

Soo glad to hear this is working for you.

Blue
BlueMoon1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
godfrey19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Long Beat
Posts: 17
Default Aimovig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon1950 View Post
Hi godfrey ~ Wanted to reply, as I am on AIMOVIG, have been for 9 months now.



I went from 3-4 migraine a week to 1-2 since going on AIMOVIG. I had Migraine with Aura.



I am on 70 mg of AIMOVIG.



None of the preventatives worked for me, so went to Maxalt as an abortive but that never really worked either. Have had these migraine types since 13.



Found that if I don't give the shot within the 30 day period, migraine comes back with a vengeance and takes awhile to settle down. Have you found this?



I also heard on the AIMOVIG Facebook that in Canada, the AIMOVIG is only given out for one year. I will be calling AIMOVIG next week to re-order and also to ask about if there is a restriction on how many to dispense per year.



Soo glad to hear this is working for you.



Blue


Blue,

You might want to try Aimovig 140mg to see if it knocks out the rest of the migraines. It made a difference for me. I believe the price is the same as the 70mg injection. I did not have any side effects from 140mg.

As for the 30 day cycle, you are correct. Around 27 days I can feel the headaches starting to flare up. Some people take a shot every 4 weeks.

Not sure about the reorder program in Canada. In the US I did not qualify for free shots under Medicare. However, my Neurologist gives me some samples when I visit. Also, I petitioned my insurance company for a discount since none of the preventative medicines worked that well. I pay $240 per injection.

Good luck!

Dan
godfrey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMoon1950 (07-13-2019), Wren (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
BlueMoon1950
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 236
My Mood: Aimovig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey19 View Post
Blue,

You might want to try Aimovig 140mg to see if it knocks out the rest of the migraines. It made a difference for me. I believe the price is the same as the 70mg injection. I did not have any side effects from 140mg.

As for the 30 day cycle, you are correct. Around 27 days I can feel the headaches starting to flare up. Some people take a shot every 4 weeks.

Not sure about the reorder program in Canada. In the US I did not qualify for free shots under Medicare. However, my Neurologist gives me some samples when I visit. Also, I petitioned my insurance company for a discount since none of the preventative medicines worked that well. I pay $240 per injection.

Good luck!

Dan
Hi Dan ~ Thank you for the helpful suggestion about going up to 140 mg. Glad for you that you found relief at that mg *smiles*. I'll ask about increasing the mg if I can ever get in to see my headache specialist. It's been a year and I can't seem to get an appointment with him. I did write him and he said he has no openings until Fall, which will make it over a year since I last saw him. Unfortunately he's the only headache specialist in my area. He did say he won't increase my mg up to 140 mg due to my age and the lack of studies on those over 65.

I did apply for, I think, the Bridge Program or the other program thru AIMOVIG and once approved, they are sending me the shots free. I filled out the application from the AIMOVIG website, had my neurologist fax in the needed information and within three weeks I was approved. I am even on Medicare, which I know won't pay for it, neither will my insurance company. So, I have to rely upon AIMOVIG for now. Hoping their campaign doesn't end or I'm back to weekly migraine.

Be sure to look up the application online, download it and get your neurologist fill it out and fax it in to get you off his samples.

Best,

Blue
BlueMoon1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #14
godfrey19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Long Beat
Posts: 17
Default

Thank you!
godfrey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMoon1950 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
BlueMoon1950
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 236
My Mood: Aimovig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey19 View Post
Thank you!
Good luck, keep me posted *smiles

Blue
BlueMoon1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #16
BlueMoon1950
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 236
My Mood: Aimovig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey19 View Post
Blue,

You might want to try Aimovig 140mg to see if it knocks out the rest of the migraines. It made a difference for me. I believe the price is the same as the 70mg injection. I did not have any side effects from 140mg.

As for the 30 day cycle, you are correct. Around 27 days I can feel the headaches starting to flare up. Some people take a shot every 4 weeks.

Not sure about the reorder program in Canada. In the US I did not qualify for free shots under Medicare. However, my Neurologist gives me some samples when I visit. Also, I petitioned my insurance company for a discount since none of the preventative medicines worked that well. I pay $240 per injection.

Good luck!

Dan
Godfrey ~ How did your neurologist appt go? Did you discuss going on the program that helps pay for this cost of AIMOVIG?

Going thru numerous migraines, one right after another in last 7 days and I just had my shot several days ago. Will call my headache doc and see about upping it to 140 mg.

Take care,

Blue
BlueMoon1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
godfrey19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Long Beat
Posts: 17
Default Aimovig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon1950 View Post
Godfrey ~ How did your neurologist appt go? Did you discuss going on the program that helps pay for this cost of AIMOVIG?



Going thru numerous migraines, one right after another in last 7 days and I just had my shot several days ago. Will call my headache doc and see about upping it to 140 mg.



Take care,



Blue


Blue,

Sorry to hear about your migraines. I experienced something similar and discussed with my Neurologist last week. I experienced repeat migraines on 70mg then tried 140mg with the same results.

On 70mg I had no headaches for several months then they started up. Maybe one a week with a lot of clusters. On 140mg the headaches went away for 6 weeks. Then I had what you described with two migraines and five clusters within a week. Maybe a little more intense than on 70mg.

The Neurologist didnít have an explanation nor did we discuss why. He wanted to verify if I had a migraine or clusters. We also verified that I am still taking 50mg of Topamax daily and eat a low tyramine diet.

He asked if I wanted to try Ajovy to compare results. I agreed. At this point I have to clear my system of Aimovig for 60 days then try the Ajovy. Unfortunately, Ajovy is not covered by United Health Care part D. So I have filed a case. Also I learned from this experience that 60 days on these drugs is to early to come to a conclusion.

Good luck,

Dan


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by godfrey19; 07-22-2019 at 06:32 PM.
godfrey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMoon1950 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
BlueMoon1950
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 236
My Mood: Aimovig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey19 View Post
Blue,

Sorry to hear about your migraines. I experienced something similar and discussed with my Neurologist last week. I experienced repeat migraines on 70mg then tried 140mg with the same results.

On 70mg I had no headaches for several months then they started up. Maybe one a week with a lot of clusters. On 140mg the headaches went away for 6 weeks. Then I had what you described with two migraines and five clusters within a week. Maybe a little more intense than on 70mg.

The Neurologist didnít have an explanation nor did we discuss why. He wanted to verify if I had a migraine or clusters. We also verified that I am still taking 50mg of Topamax daily and eat a low tyramine diet.

He asked if I wanted to try Ajovy to compare results. I agreed. At this point I have to clear my system of Aimovig for 60 days then try the Ajovy. Unfortunately, Ajovy is not covered by United Health Care part D. So I have filed a case. Also I learned from this experience that 60 days on these drugs is to early to come to a conclusion.

Good luck,

Dan


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Dan ~ I wanted to pass along some information for you should you decide to come back to AIMOVIG:

1. The enrollment for 2020 begins in October 2019 to submit an application for the AMGEN Safety Net Program for AIMOVIG, which is the free program I belong to.
2. I get 3 free samples every 90 days. I call 888-762-6436 for the Amgen Safety Net Foundation to send out samples from their pharmacy. You can also download the application per their instructions.

Can you define "cluster of migraine" more specifically for me? I have not seen my neurologist for 8 months now and if I am having more migraine like what you talk about, perhaps I need to try to get in sooner to see this doctor.

Oh, also, you could join the Facebook migraine group called CRGP Antagonst Migraine Preventative and Abortive Medications. It's very informative and has a large audience that participates. They discuss all the CGRP medications and the Ajovy that you are taking.

I am going on AARP Untied Health Care, Part D soon. So, this will not cover Ajovy? Hoping your case gets approved for an exception. If not, what are your options? If you come back to AIMOVIG due to restrictions with your current health plan, you might want to consider applying for the Safety Net Foundation Program. I have to notify the AMGEN Foundation when I change my health plan, so fingers crossed I will still qualify for their free samples thru the Foundation.

Keep me posted.

Blue
BlueMoon1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #19
godfrey19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Long Beat
Posts: 17
Default

Blue,

Lots of good information in your post.

A migraine according to my Neurologist needs to include: throbbing head pain particularly around the temples, eyesight distortion and nausea.

A cluster is a headache, more in the forehead and around the eyes. Very painful.

Different Neurologists might argue the fine details, but that is how he defines them.

FYI, my headaches have gone down since my last post. So Aimovig is doing itís job again. Iím going to go through the process of trying Ajovy to see which works better.

Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
godfrey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMoon1950 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #20
BlueMoon1950
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 236
My Mood: Aimovig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey19 View Post
Blue,

Lots of good information in your post.

A migraine according to my Neurologist needs to include: throbbing head pain particularly around the temples, eyesight distortion and nausea.

A cluster is a headache, more in the forehead and around the eyes. Very painful.

Different Neurologists might argue the fine details, but that is how he defines them.

FYI, my headaches have gone down since my last post. So Aimovig is doing itís job again. Iím going to go through the process of trying Ajovy to see which works better.

Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck, Dan. Keep me updated how Ajovy goes for you.

Thanks for the information

Blue
BlueMoon1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aimovig, checking, shot, taking, thereís

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central ē Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors ē Community Guidelines ē Terms of Use ē Privacy Policy