Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Medications & Treatments For discussion about medications and treatments for any disease or health condition, including issues of medication toxicity.

Basal Ganglia damaged by Risperdal

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
RisperMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Default Basal Ganglia damaged by Risperdal

Hi,
I took Risperdal (4 mg for one week, 2 mg for some weeks and 3 mg for three days) from early August to early September 2016.

This drug has damaged the Basal Ganglia of my brain, because I have cognitive impairment and anhedonia.

I wanted to ask: is there a way to "repair" the basal ganglia?
RisperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
kiwi33
Magnate
Community Welcome Team
 
kiwi33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 2,086
My Mood: Basal Ganglia damaged by Risperdal
Default

Hi RisperMan

Welcome to NeuroTalk - I hope that you find the community as knowledgeable and supportive as I have.

Have you discussed the things that you are experiencing with the doctor who prescribed Risperdal?

It could be that they are short-term effects of your brief use of Risperdal which will resolve with time.

Also, what you are experiencing does not necessarily reflect damage to your basal ganglia.

Your prescribing doctor should be able to discuss these things with you and (depending) suggest further investigations/options.

All the best.
__________________
Knowledge is power.
kiwi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
RisperMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Hi RisperMan

Welcome to NeuroTalk - I hope that you find the community as knowledgeable and supportive as I have.

Have you discussed the things that you are experiencing with the doctor who prescribed Risperdal?

It could be that they are short-term effects of your brief use of Risperdal which will resolve with time.

Also, what you are experiencing does not necessarily reflect damage to your basal ganglia.

Your prescribing doctor should be able to discuss these things with you and (depending) suggest further investigations/options.

All the best.
I am no longer followed by my prescribing doctor. Actually I'm going to sue him.
RisperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
kiwi33
Magnate
Community Welcome Team
 
kiwi33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 2,086
My Mood: Basal Ganglia damaged by Risperdal
Default

What procedures were used to diagnose your possible basal ganglia damage?

Are you currently seeing another doctor about your health issues?
__________________
Knowledge is power.
kiwi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
RisperMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
What procedures were used to diagnose your possible basal ganglia damage?

Are you currently seeing another doctor about your health issues?
I've seen an endocrinologist and he confirmed my problems are due to Risperdal.

Basal Ganglia damage cannot be diagnosed because there are no tests that could monitor the chemical imbalance of the brain.

I've come to the conclusion that my Basal Ganglia are damaged after knowing Risperdal affects them and they control learning, emotions, cognition and motivation, all of them have decreased after I took Risperdal so it's quite obvious my Basal Ganglia are damaged
RisperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
kiwi33
Magnate
Community Welcome Team
 
kiwi33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 2,086
My Mood: Basal Ganglia damaged by Risperdal
Default

The basal ganglia complex has been implicated in many neurological processes but it is not functionally nor anatomically independent of the rest of the brain.

Parkinson's Disease has been directly linked to damage to the substantia nigra which is part of the basal ganglia complex. Similarly, Huntington's Disease has been directly linked to damage to the striatum which is also part of the basal ganglia complex.

I don't know of any other neurological disorders which have been directly linked to damage of any specific part of the basal ganglia complex.
__________________
Knowledge is power.
kiwi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
RisperMan
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
The basal ganglia complex has been implicated in many neurological processes but it is not functionally nor anatomically independent of the rest of the brain.

Parkinson's Disease has been directly linked to damage to the substantia nigra which is part of the basal ganglia complex. Similarly, Huntington's Disease has been directly linked to damage to the striatum which is also part of the basal ganglia complex.

I don't know of any other neurological disorders which have been directly linked to damage of any specific part of the basal ganglia complex.
What about dyskinesia?
RisperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
kiwi33
Magnate
Community Welcome Team
 
kiwi33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 2,086
My Mood: Basal Ganglia damaged by Risperdal
Default

Dyskinesia is a possible side-effect of taking Risperdal but as far as I know its anatomical/physiological basis is poorly understood.

You might find the information here helpful in this context Risperdal - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses.
__________________
Knowledge is power.
kiwi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:35 AM   #9
Ruth Jerks a Lot
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 5
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisperMan View Post
Hi,
I took Risperdal (4 mg for one week, 2 mg for some weeks and 3 mg for three days) from early August to early September 2016.

This drug has damaged the Basal Ganglia of my brain, because I have cognitive impairment and anhedonia.

I wanted to ask: is there a way to "repair" the basal ganglia?

Hi Risperman, I didn't take Risperdal, but I know what it's like to have damage to the Basal Ganglia. My damage is in my hypothalamus gland. It's a very important part of the B.G. They can see a 5 mm lesion at the entrance to my pituitary stalk, but the neurosurgeon wouldn't tell me about it, so he said, "Your MRI results aren't back yet, but I'm sure you didn't have a stroke." I had an adverse reaction to an RX drug, called Gabapentin / Neurontin. Back to your question. Can they repair the Basal Ganglia? I really don't think so. Maybe time will slowly fix your problems, by rewiring. These stupid drugs can cause more harm than good. Sorry about your problems.
Ruth Jerks a Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
basal, brain, damaged, ganglia, risperdal

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diagnostics & Testing~~ for dorsal root ganglia and damage: en bloc PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments 38 09-25-2014 04:44 AM
Basal Ganglia and Neurological Disorders: Need some help figuring this out... b_l_k General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders 14 09-15-2011 06:58 AM
The importance of interactions between rhythms in the basal ganglia ZucchiniFlower Parkinson's Disease 1 04-10-2008 09:19 PM
Basal ganglia involvement in temporal lobe epilepsy Chemar Epilepsy 0 04-02-2008 08:19 AM
Role of the Basal Ganglia in Category Learning: How Do Patients With Parkinson's Dise Stitcher Parkinson's Disease 1 08-13-2007 08:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy