Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Parkinson's Disease Tulip

Pedaling for Parkinson's...and dystonia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Nan Cyclist
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 458
Default

Hi Laura,

I figured out the View column as soon as I posted the question. Thanks though. We used to live in Ann Arbor when my husband was in grad school. I graduated from Albion. My mom is in a retirement village in Traverse City. I'll be there from April 20-28, flying in and out of TC. I'll be giving the talks (same one twice) at the Community at Bay Ridge in TC at 11 and 1 on the 27th.

Jay made a poster that shows his research data in graphic form and includes parameters that make his research quite clear. It is too large to post on this website but if you send me your email, I'll try to send it to you (and others). I just hope 1,000 people don't respond!
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #32
Conductor71
Senior Member
 
Conductor71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
Hi Laura,

I figured out the View column as soon as I posted the question. Thanks though. We used to live in Ann Arbor when my husband was in grad school. I graduated from Albion. My mom is in a retirement village in Traverse City. I'll be there from April 20-28, flying in and out of TC. I'll be giving the talks (same one twice) at the Community at Bay Ridge in TC at 11 and 1 on the 27th.

Jay made a poster that shows his research data in graphic form and includes parameters that make his research quite clear. It is too large to post on this website but if you send me your email, I'll try to send it to you (and others). I just hope 1,000 people don't respond!
Nan,

Thanks. We have a way to private message each other through the forum right here. When you login, look at top right and notice you can link to your user name. Click on your name to access your inbox.

Thanks for your willingness to share.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #33
Nan Cyclist
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 458
Default

I note that quite a few people are keeping track of this thread and I wonder what experiences individuals are having. Are you trying cycling? If so, do you see or feel any difference in the way you either move or think, or both? I found that over time my cognitive functions returned, which thrilled me even more than having my body nearly back to normal. If you're cycling, are you going at the 80-90 rpm for at least 40 minutes three times per week or are you going more or less? What is the hardest and easiest part of the cycling for you? What do you think would help you out? Feel free to add anything else you would like.

My experiences with forced pace cycling are great, but it would be fantastic if these experiences or something close to them were replicated by lots of others. If you're shy about responding to the group, please contact me through the private message forum. I'll compile answers anonymously and report back to the forum.

Thanks.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
ScottSuff
Junior Member
 
ScottSuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 78
My Mood: Pedaling for Parkinson's...and dystonia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
I note that quite a few people are keeping track of this thread and I wonder what experiences individuals are having. Are you trying cycling? If so, do you see or feel any difference in the way you either move or think, or both? I found that over time my cognitive functions returned, which thrilled me even more than having my body nearly back to normal. If you're cycling, are you going at the 80-90 rpm for at least 40 minutes three times per week or are you going more or less? What is the hardest and easiest part of the cycling for you? What do you think would help you out? Feel free to add anything else you would like.

My experiences with forced pace cycling are great, but it would be fantastic if these experiences or something close to them were replicated by lots of others. If you're shy about responding to the group, please contact me through the private message forum. I'll compile answers anonymously and report back to the forum.

Thanks.
Nan Cyclist
I've been meaning to add to your post and just now getting to it.
Last year I got back on the bike and started training for the RAGBRAI as well. I wasn't sure how I'd do over the course of the week but was determined to have a small victory over PD and ride with my friends on the Air Force Cycle Team. I increased the miles slowly from Mar till Jul and had about 1150 miles in the seat by RAGBRAI time. I didn't have the same great results you had but I felt the best I had in a number of years. I found after I got morning meds in me and got rolling I could stretch out the afternoon meds. It was like the bike was producing dopamine for me in a way. I felt probably my best on century day and did it in about 6.5 hrs, which is good for me. Maybe I had some help in there with some paceline friends from time to time, but I can't admit to that.Ha! Riding here in the beautiful hills of East TN made the elevation gain in Iowa seem easy.
I've been spinning through the winter, not as much as I prefer. The wx hasn't helped and so it's mid Mar I have maybe 100 miles in the seat.It will get better! I'm still young in the battle with PD dx Dec03 symptoms 2 yrs before anyway, age 50, but I feel the bike plus the gym (weight training, yoga) is the best weapons I have in this long-term war. It would be great to compare notes from riding this summer. My neuro rides as well, and its always good to out climb him on a group ride. Don't know where you're located but we have some good local rides, so come on down!
ScottSuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #35
Nan Cyclist
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 458
Default

Hi Scot,
Seattle is a long way from TN, but thanks for the invite to ride! Actually a friend from Memphis heard about Jay's work and got me on this track, so we have a connection there. I was awestruck in RAGBRAI whenever the Air Force Cycle Team flew past me. Made me proud. Our group, Pedaling for Parkinson's, had on jerseys with a big brain on the front that says: "You don't need brain surgery" and the back has a head with a pedal in it that says: "Just Pedal!" We got a lot of comments. However, my favorite group name and logo was Team Soreassareus with a dinosaur sitting on a bike...all old guys as I recall. I got stronger as the week went by. Day three was the hardest with the long ride and wet roads. I was concerned about accidents and saw a couple, including one guy who cut right in front of the guy ahead of me and took him out. I jumped to the gravel and somehow didn't go headlong into a ditch. Got my heart rate up for sure. I was the slowest in our group, but found plenty of people to talk with along the way and I always felt good when I passed people on hills. (More passed me than I passed.) Are you doing RAGBRAI again this year? We are. It would be great to meet you in Iowa.

I think you're right that the cycling is producing dopamine or at least getting it through the barrier. Have you read Spark, The Effect of Exercise on the Brain? Well worth anyone's time.

Have a great day.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #36
Nan Cyclist
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 458
Default

Thinking further about replicating my experiences with forced pace cycling, I thought I would share with this group that several people have asked for help in setting up a program like Jay's. We're close to starting one here in Seattle with the support of a local hospital, bike shop and good people. I'm working on putting together a template for people to follow anywhere. Is there interest in that?
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
soccertese
Magnate
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,500
Default

i'm riding my recumbent but haven't achieved the 30-40min at 80+ rpm 3-4times/week yet and may never, it's not easy when healthy.
i'll be more motivated if another peer reviewed study validates the results of the 1st study.
so far no sig. benefit.
soccertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #38
Nan Cyclist
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 458
Default

Soccertese, you have a good point about the study. I asked Jay and this is his response: "outcomes have not been replicated yet...we are in the midst of the clinical trial...my gut tells me those that are pedaling faster will do better. so, best answer is replicating these things takes time and this is what we are doing...in the interim this appears to be a program that is effective...the only downside is improved fitness and other benefits associated with exercise (not a bad downside)."

I have also found personally that when I lower my resistance and pedal near 90 rpm, I feel better. Yesterday I did hills, going up and down a 4.6% grade for 43 minutes (4 trips). My rpm wasn't high, but I'm sure this helped my fitness. Now I'm headed out for a 25 mile pretty flat ride; most of it will be in the 85-90 rpm range.

It looks to me that people on recumbents have a harder time keeping high rpm.

Did you see that I sent you a private message?
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #39
tremorgrrrl
Junior Member
 
tremorgrrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
Thinking further about replicating my experiences with forced pace cycling, I thought I would share with this group that several people have asked for help in setting up a program like Jay's. We're close to starting one here in Seattle with the support of a local hospital, bike shop and good people. I'm working on putting together a template for people to follow anywhere. Is there interest in that?
Nan Cyclist, I would love to hear your ideas about setting up a cycling program. I'd also love to see the poster of Jay's research. Please send it if you can.

I am in San Francisco which, like Seattle, is a a huge cycling city. I have been a cyclist for years. I have to think it helped delay the onset of my PD symptoms.

I do a lot of endurance events. These are typically day long rides with long distances and big hills. My cadence is usually 60-70 rpm on huge hills and 90-100 rpm on flats. I try to keep at 60-80 percent of HR and try to go 60-90 minutes between rest stops during events. Super easy gears are the key to high cadence and mine are about as easy as you can get (I use a combination of mountain bike a road bike gearing).

Based on my own experience, I think the benefits may be highest with a combination of moderate to high rpm plus moderate to high HR plus time plus a consistent pace. The balance aspect of outdoor cycling is probably also beneficial.

I have both arm tremors and a crampy left foot. Once on the bike, they are pretty much non-existent. I do worry that i'll lose my balance and get hit by a car; that's why I like participating in events. The food and companionship are great (and motivating!) and often roads are closed or traffic is light. And since there are cyclists of all levels on the road, you never need to worry about being the slowest one.

Keep pedaling,

Anne
tremorgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #40
jeanb
Senior Member
 
jeanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: sonoran desert
Posts: 1,352
Red face Inspired!

Nan, you have inspired me to ride my recumbent tricycle harder & faster. Instead of leisurely cycling around the neighborhood, I am pushing myself to try & ride faster and longer each day. I don't know rpms but I'm increasing my mph. And I do feel better after every ride.

Jean
__________________
Jean B

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pedaling for Parkinson's Stitcher Parkinson's Disease 4 04-12-2017 11:47 AM
Oprah talks about dystonia and Parkinson's disease Stitcher Parkinson's Disease 0 03-30-2009 04:38 PM
Pedaling for Parkinson’s -- Full Length Doctor's Interview Stitcher Parkinson's Disease 2 08-15-2007 09:55 AM
'Pedaling for Parkinson's' group hits RAGBRAI Stitcher Parkinson's Disease 0 07-30-2007 09:18 PM
Dystonia - help? lou_lou Parkinson's Disease 8 09-24-2006 05:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych CentralMental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors • Community GuidelinesTerms of UsePrivacy Policy