Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Mystery electric jolts and twitches

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
mrsD
Wisest Elder Ever
 
mrsD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 33,515
Lightbulb

This is how Zika is tested for. The virus leaves antibodies behind after the infection. It is those that are tested for:
Diagnostic Testing


| Zika virus | CDC


You don't need to have symptoms of Zika to have it. The damage it does is internal and may not show clinically.
It is something to consider in your case... with a sudden onset.

Zika has been reported to damage the peripheral nerves, and in severe cases, causes Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS)which is a severe peripheral neuropathy. It also has been suggested to cause CNS damage and spinal damage.
Zika and Guillain-Barre Syndrome | Zika virus | CDC

There'''s More Evidence Zika Goes Straight to the Brain - NBC News

Each day there are new reports of the damage this virus causes, so one needs to keep up with it all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2k View Post
Thanks for bringing that up, mrsD, but although I suspect this could be viral (neurotoxic) in nature, I don't think it is Zika / Dengue / Chikungunya (prevalent in Puerto Rico) for the following reasons.

1. Zika is asymptomatic in 80% of infected people
2. Zika only lasts a week in the blood so getting a test now would be fruitless as my symptoms started months ago
3. Zika's primary symptoms in the 20% of cases are things like fever, nausea, skin rash, joint pain or swelling, none of which I have had.
4. There's no evidence of Zika causing fasciculations / muscle twitches / electric shocks in a person, which are my main complaints.

I wish it was as easy as identifying a virus and just waiting it out. Ciguatera is actually closer in nature to what I have -- a fish neurotoxin that affects the gut. But I haven't eaten any fish here so there'd be no way for me to get it, and I don't have the classic cold/hot reversal symptoms. However the idea of a neurotoxic virus makes sense to me since my symptoms did improve over time (with the exception of the current "flare-up" state).
__________________
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.-- Galileo Galilei

************************************

.
Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017


****************************
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (07-20-2016), glenntaj (07-21-2016), janieg (07-20-2016), midori (07-28-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
pinkynose
Member
 
pinkynose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 500
Default Thanks MrsD for this information!

2 potential cases of locally acquired cases have just been reported in my county. I will have to start using protection when I go outside since Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus bite mostly during the daytime. It's not like I can just avoid going out at night.
__________________
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Lewis Carroll
pinkynose is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (07-23-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
janieg
Member
 
janieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2k View Post

Out of curiosity what's your serum magnesium level showing? I've been at a steady 2.20 on a normal range of 1.5 - 2.5.
My serum magnesium came back 2.1 with reference range of 1.6-2.3.

I take two Mag 64 supplements daily.

Calcium 224 mg 22% RDA
Magnesium 128 mg 32% RDA
Chloride 374mg 11% RDA
__________________
Idiopathic, Full Body, Small Fiber Neuropathy since 11/2013. Symptoms include altered sensation in toes; constant tingling/vibrations in feet and lower legs; intermittent tingling in temples, scalp and face; full body "buzzing" in the morning (suspect mild dehydration); referred sensation in feet cause by touch; occasional bouts with severe cramping in my feet and legs; when flaring, full body burning.

Metabolic issues: FBG -88 A1C - 5.1 with glucose spikes near 300, can't metabolize alcohol, and salt consumption makes my neuropathy 100x worse.

Current treatments:
  • Omega 3's - Fish Oil (2400 mg EPA, 1200mg DHA), 200 mg Magnesium Threonate
  • 5 mg Meribin Biotin for low-normal biotinidase levels.
  • Low carb "back to the farm" diet, lots of water
  • Quell TENS unit, 5% lidocaine patches, magnesium cream, CBD oil
janieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
YaledMot
Newly Joined
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3
Default

This has been a fascinating series of posts. I have had the fasiculations mostly in my legs for 14 years. It started about the time I started developing the strange symptoms in my feet finally diagnosed as axonal loss polyneuropathy just last week after an EMG. My neurologist essentially blew off my years of fasiculations as "inherited, certainly not ALS." I knew they were not ALS, having had them for 14 years. Come on. I find the fasiculations "go nuts" after certain sorts of exercise and other times, like right now, just sit there and flutter at a low level. I am rarely without them, but I have never had them with "electric shocks" as mentioned in the initial post. I will leave that to my largely dead feet and ankles with the random electric shocks and zaps.
YaledMot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
slay2k
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaledMot View Post
This has been a fascinating series of posts. I have had the fasiculations mostly in my legs for 14 years. It started about the time I started developing the strange symptoms in my feet finally diagnosed as axonal loss polyneuropathy just last week after an EMG. My neurologist essentially blew off my years of fasiculations as "inherited, certainly not ALS." I knew they were not ALS, having had them for 14 years. Come on. I find the fasiculations "go nuts" after certain sorts of exercise and other times, like right now, just sit there and flutter at a low level. I am rarely without them, but I have never had them with "electric shocks" as mentioned in the initial post. I will leave that to my largely dead feet and ankles with the random electric shocks and zaps.
Yeah, I've more-or-less accepted that nobody else in the world has my symptoms, but I'm continuing to eliminate possibilities every week and keeping detailed logs of my experience with the hopes of helping someone else one day.

The jolts only happen about once a month now. The latest things bothering me have been a) "baby kicks" in my lower abdominal area, typically lower right quadrant and b) upper back pain that gets worse w/ driving and better w/ massage and c) feeling weak (not clinical weakness) / fatigue.

I was told by a reputable doctor that these "baby kicks" must be abdominal wall muscle and not intestinal spasms, because I can easily see them. They make it hard to go to sleep sometimes.

Speaking of which, I've finally taken a mag supplement and not gotten diarrhea, so there's hope in that approach and I will continue to experiment w/ various types (e.g. Magnesium Malate, Chelated, etc) to see how my body reacts.

Now wouldn't that be a nice and easy solution?
slay2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
Healthgirl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2k View Post
Yeah, I've more-or-less accepted that nobody else in the world has my symptoms, but I'm continuing to eliminate possibilities every week and keeping detailed logs of my experience with the hopes of helping someone else one day.

The jolts only happen about once a month now. The latest things bothering me have been a) "baby kicks" in my lower abdominal area, typically lower right quadrant and b) upper back pain that gets worse w/ driving and better w/ massage and c) feeling weak (not clinical weakness) / fatigue.

I was told by a reputable doctor that these "baby kicks" must be abdominal wall muscle and not intestinal spasms, because I can easily see them. They make it hard to go to sleep sometimes.

Speaking of which, I've finally taken a mag supplement and not gotten diarrhea, so there's hope in that approach and I will continue to experiment w/ various types (e.g. Magnesium Malate, Chelated, etc) to see how my body reacts.

Now wouldn't that be a nice and easy solution?
Hi Slay,
I just wanted you to know you are not alone with these symptoms. I also have normal magnesium levels and I've tried every form of high quality supplement and get no improvement. I have twitches, jolts, electric shocks. I won't go on with my list of everything else, because it's too long and my diagnosis is at a dead end right now. They know for sure that I have polyneuropathy due to finding nerve damage by biopsy and doing tilt table test. I also have the fascilations in my abdomen that are so strong that it does look like a baby is kicking.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
DavidHC
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Default

I also get plenty of fasciculations, including baby kicks. I also have various other symptoms. Had the baby kicks last night in fact. You're not alone.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
slay2k
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthgirl View Post
Hi Slay,
I just wanted you to know you are not alone with these symptoms. I also have normal magnesium levels and I've tried every form of high quality supplement and get no improvement. I have twitches, jolts, electric shocks. I won't go on with my list of everything else, because it's too long and my diagnosis is at a dead end right now. They know for sure that I have polyneuropathy due to finding nerve damage by biopsy and doing tilt table test. I also have the fascilations in my abdomen that are so strong that it does look like a baby is kicking.
Thank you for sharing that, healthgirl.

Can you tell me how long you've been struggling w/ this and if there's any correlation to an infection (or taking antibiotics) at the start of it? What do your jolts / shocks feel like and where / how-often do you get them?
slay2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
slay2k
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
I also get plenty of fasciculations, including baby kicks. I also have various other symptoms. Had the baby kicks last night in fact. You're not alone.
That's nuts. I'd love to hear about all your symptoms to see if we can find some more things in common (see the questions I asked Healthgirl above as well). What have you tried? What improves and worsens things, etc?
slay2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #20
DavidHC
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Default

If you search under my name, you'll find all that information. Here is the 'my story' bit, which might be useful: http://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-...sfn-story.html.

For me, a paleo (most of the time paleo ketogenic) diet and stress reduction are essential. Without the diet, I would not have been able to stop the progression or at least even slow it down. The moment I go off my diet I feel it. For example, for me gluten is poison and the symptoms just explode if I touch it. I basically have a diet akin to the autoimmune protocol described by the Paleo Mom, but something I really keep down or even out the fruit to achieve ketosis. I also use all sorts of supplements, some of which are vitamin D3, benfotiamine, natural vitamin c (not ascorbic acid), B12, NAC, digestive enzymes, folate and others.

Hope that helps!


Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2k View Post
That's nuts. I'd love to hear about all your symptoms to see if we can find some more things in common (see the questions I asked Healthgirl above as well). What have you tried? What improves and worsens things, etc?
DavidHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abdomen, day, electric, jolts, valium

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery electric jolts and twitches slay2k General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders 3 07-17-2016 07:54 PM
head pain from vibrations and jolts.. CSF leak? roffa13a Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome 2 08-02-2015 09:45 PM
Bumps, Jolts and Slaps after TBI AaronS Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome 7 05-05-2015 12:58 PM
SCS electric jolts, Urban Legend? Mims70 SCS & Pain Pumps 7 07-29-2014 09:15 AM
Head movement causes dizziness and jolts TBI/PTSD Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome 12 08-30-2012 05:10 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy