advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2024, 06:30 PM #21
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelinx View Post
I've used lidocaine creams too with some positive effect. I also use IcyHot ointment which is essentially menthol and methyl salicylate. Some might say it stings. For me I get a tingling icy effect, burning if on sensitive skin. It seems to overwhelm with neuropathy sensations, creating a numbing effect that for me tends to last for a while sometimes even canceling out the bothersome sensations.
I'll have to try the icy hot balm. Does it come in a roll on or is it just a cream/lotion? Would the icy hot no mess pain relief be just as good or is the hot balm better?
christinejarvis2010 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-06-2024, 11:10 AM #22
echoes long ago's Avatar
echoes long ago echoes long ago is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,581
15 yr Member
echoes long ago echoes long ago is offline
Senior Member
echoes long ago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,581
15 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinejarvis2010 View Post
What is small fibers neuropathy?
small fiber peripheral neuropathy involves the small nerve fibers that usually do not have a myelin sheath. Small nerve fibers in the skin subsume the sensations of touch and temperature. Damage to the small nerve fibers will not show up on an EMG/NCS Electromyography/ Nerve conduction study.


Your symptoms sound like small fiber peripheral neuropathy. A skin punch biopsy will show the amount of small fiber nerve damage you have and is used for a diagnosis. I have had it done. it was not painful and no complications afterwards at all.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:52 PM #23
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
small fiber peripheral neuropathy involves the small nerve fibers that usually do not have a myelin sheath. Small nerve fibers in the skin subsume the sensations of touch and temperature. Damage to the small nerve fibers will not show up on an EMG/NCS Electromyography/ Nerve conduction study.


Your symptoms sound like small fiber peripheral neuropathy. A skin punch biopsy will show the amount of small fiber nerve damage you have and is used for a diagnosis. I have had it done. it was not painful and no complications afterwards at all.
You really think my symptoms sound like this condition I totally thought it was allodynia because of my clothing issue with the fabrics. Who could I ask to do a small skin biopsy? Could I ask my dermatologist to do it?
christinejarvis2010 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:47 PM #24
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
small fiber peripheral neuropathy involves the small nerve fibers that usually do not have a myelin sheath. Small nerve fibers in the skin subsume the sensations of touch and temperature. Damage to the small nerve fibers will not show up on an EMG/NCS Electromyography/ Nerve conduction study.


Your symptoms sound like small fiber peripheral neuropathy. A skin punch biopsy will show the amount of small fiber nerve damage you have and is used for a diagnosis. I have had it done. it was not painful and no complications afterwards at all.
So, my skin sensitvity to the textures of clothes as well as the fittedness of clothes and my legs going numb and having a tingling feeling after sitting for a while. All of this could be small fiber neuropathy? Can I ask what you're symptoms were and did you end up getting diagnosed with it? Also, who did your skin biopsy, was it a dermatologist?
christinejarvis2010 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:17 AM #25
echoes long ago's Avatar
echoes long ago echoes long ago is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,581
15 yr Member
echoes long ago echoes long ago is offline
Senior Member
echoes long ago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,581
15 yr Member
Default

yes tingling and numbnees and your sensitivity to textures and clothes are common symptoms of those with small fiber neuropathy.

My skin punch biopsy was ordered by and done in a neurologists office.


I was initially diagnosed in the fall of 2003 with large fiber peripheral neuropathy via an EMG/NCS due to toxic exposures . My symptoms, which had started in late September 2001, were numbness in my feet and pain. The EMG/NCS showed that I had mild/moderate large fiber PN in my feet and mild PN in my hands. Over the years the areas of numbness moved up my legs to my knees and my lower arms. I now have severe large fiber damage in my hands, lower arms, feet and legs from knees down.

It is fairly common to have small fiber nerve damage also if you have severe large fiber nerve damage, but i did not do a skin punch biopsy when they first became avilable or for many years after because i didnt seethe point to it, since it wouldnt change treatment.

That changed for me in 2022 , when some health benefits I needed required that a diagnosis of small fiber PN be made. So I had a skin punch biopsy done in the neurologists office. I had no trouble getting approval and the procedure itself is simple, not painful and i had no side effects or complications.

Your situation is different in that your EMG/NCS showed no large nerve fiber involvement, so the next logical step, with your symptoms, is too test for small nerve fiber peripheral neuropathy. skin punch biopsy is a definitive test for small fiber pn.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:47 PM #26
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
yes tingling and numbnees and your sensitivity to textures and clothes are common symptoms of those with small fiber neuropathy.

My skin punch biopsy was ordered by and done in a neurologists office.


I was initially diagnosed in the fall of 2003 with large fiber peripheral neuropathy via an EMG/NCS due to toxic exposures . My symptoms, which had started in late September 2001, were numbness in my feet and pain. The EMG/NCS showed that I had mild/moderate large fiber PN in my feet and mild PN in my hands. Over the years the areas of numbness moved up my legs to my knees and my lower arms. I now have severe large fiber damage in my hands, lower arms, feet and legs from knees down.

It is fairly common to have small fiber nerve damage also if you have severe large fiber nerve damage, but i did not do a skin punch biopsy when they first became avilable or for many years after because i didnt seethe point to it, since it wouldnt change treatment.

That changed for me in 2022 , when some health benefits I needed required that a diagnosis of small fiber PN be made. So I had a skin punch biopsy done in the neurologists office. I had no trouble getting approval and the procedure itself is simple, not painful and i had no side effects or complications.

Your situation is different in that your EMG/NCS showed no large nerve fiber involvement, so the next logical step, with your symptoms, is too test for small nerve fiber peripheral neuropathy. skin punch biopsy is a definitive test for small fiber pn.
Thank you so much for your advice. Maybe in July when I see my dermatologist I'll tell her about even with the medication, the pain doesn't stop unless I use the lidocaine on my body. Because she said last time if the medication didn't work I might have to go see a neurologist.
christinejarvis2010 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:46 PM #27
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
christinejarvis2010 christinejarvis2010 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: California
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelinx View Post
I've used lidocaine creams too with some positive effect. I also use IcyHot ointment which is essentially menthol and methyl salicylate. Some might say it stings. For me I get a tingling icy effect, burning if on sensitive skin. It seems to overwhelm with neuropathy sensations, creating a numbing effect that for me tends to last for a while sometimes even canceling out the bothersome sensations.
How long does it take of consistently using the icy hot to make the pain go away without having to use the icy hot anymore?
christinejarvis2010 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
body, clothes, pain, sfn, shower

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full body scans Liftyourhands7 Peripheral Neuropathy 6 02-28-2013 06:49 AM
what is full body RSD? Lisa in Ohio Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 27 04-24-2010 08:34 PM
CRPS-throughout entire body, Allodynia, underlining Arthritis!! 17 yr old, HELP!! :( Kesryth Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 14 10-20-2009 11:48 AM
Do I have full body RSD now? WolfLarsen Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 6 10-15-2009 10:41 PM
need help, with IME Dr? I have full body RSD kelly6449ed Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 14 12-26-2008 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

NeuroTalk Forums

Helping support those with neurological and related conditions.

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only,
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider.


Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.