NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   approved for social security benefits (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/74558-approved-social-security-benefits.html)

weegot5kiz 01-28-2009 01:26 PM

approved for social security benefits

well folks it took two years a number of denials and one appeal hearing but I am approved for SS benefits, I got mixed emotions about it, glad its over yet sad cause it, I guess in a way solidifies the fact I got MS:Bang-Head:

I wanted to thank all who helped me and offered their support, thank you all very much:hug:

Blessings2You 01-28-2009 01:29 PM

Congratulations and condolences.
YIPPEE!! and I'm so sorry.
Bittersweet, like dark chocolate.

Debbie D 01-28-2009 01:43 PM

I said on Insights thread that I congratulate you, but I understand how it does solidify the reality of your disease...we're in your corner, guy!:grouphug:

just drea 01-28-2009 01:49 PM

upcoming ssdi hearing

I am 3 years waiting for my hearing to appeal denial. It is soon to be scheduled...i am anxious...and I feel for you on your recent ruling, but I hope you also can feel peace also.

DM 01-28-2009 02:01 PM

Just think of it as one more thing to put behind you, Franko!! No more appeals and wondering, eh?? I'm glad your ship finally came in.

kicker 01-28-2009 02:07 PM

Aw Frank, I got SSDI on my second try. I was glad then thought "I must be really bad!" Dark-chocolate sounds good. Congratulations and hope it makes life easier. They never told me kids still in High-school, if not, under 18 can get money. Do yours? If you got it, they get. Sometimes SS needs reminders. You got 5 right?

ewizabeth 01-28-2009 02:11 PM

I'm glad you were approved Frank! :) I can understand the mixed feelings though. I think about it all the time and know it will be a mixed blessing when/if it happens for me.

lady_express_44 01-28-2009 02:23 PM

Good job, Frank.

I cried any time I had to talk about it, before my approval. I was approved the first time, but I went through several appointments, all the form prep, etc. before it was approved. Every time I did anything relating to the approval process, it upset me. :(

I cried heaps that first day, but I have NEVER since. :)

I'm glad it is behind you, once and for all. :hug:

Cherie

sabimax 01-28-2009 02:38 PM

yeahhh and hugsssssssssss

NurseNancy 01-28-2009 02:40 PM

great news! and about time.

congratulations. i was very relieved when i got mine and i know this will decrease a lot of stress.

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-28-2009 02:59 PM

I am happy for you Frank. It takes a lot of perseverance to deal with the system! Kudos to you! :highfive:

Kitty 01-28-2009 03:15 PM

Congratulations....I'm sorry....what's the correct way to respond? :rolleyes: I was approved immediately.....and while I was glad it wasn't a long, drawn out process I thought gosh, I must really be in as bad a shape as I feel....:(. You're right, though. It does sort of put the final stamp of "disability" on things. I'm glad the process is over for you, though. Now....onward and upward! :hug:

weegot5kiz 01-28-2009 03:30 PM

yall are fantastic people, and i didnt get emo about this till I just read all the replies. thanks:hug:

SallyC 01-28-2009 03:31 PM

WaaaaHoooo Frank. You want something to really be depressed about. I have SS because of my age..:eek: :D

SandyC 01-28-2009 03:50 PM

Oh Frank, snap out of it. Come here so I can bend you over and give you a good swift kick. Oh wait, maybe Deb should do that. ROTF

Chin up, it's all good. Your approved and now you can shove that monkey off your back. The good news is you no longer have to worry about SS questioning your disability. The bad news is you stop earning points for more retirement money. (Did I just say that out loud?) :o:p

Feel better? :D

Welcome to your official retirement. Jim and I will look for a nice coffee cup for you. :p

:hug:*you know we care and just like giving you a hard time*:hug:

weegot5kiz 01-28-2009 04:06 PM

what truely defines a coffee cup the handle the saying the color or as I suspect the amount of the golden nectar that it can hold, so I figure anything under 24 ounces is a coffee shot glass:rolleyes: Thank you Sandy and I am pretty sure the bend over get spanked thing well lets just say deb would never allow me to.. I mean...... lol

I know its a weight off my back, a sad one but tomorrow will still be <pssst whats tomorrow thurs?> tomorrow will still be there as will I to greet it meet it and beat it

Sally, come here:hug: heres another one :hug: you made me smile, thank you

Jodylee 01-28-2009 05:49 PM

Congrats Frank AND Deb (I'm sure it's a load off of Deb's mind too) :). It's a relief and yet it sux at the same time. I was dx and on LTD in less than a year! I still haven't adapted to my new life yet. You guys all help so much though! I get day to day interaction with people like me :D. lol

Riverwild 01-28-2009 06:13 PM

Frank and Deb,
Glad to hear that the wait and uncertainty is over for you both! :grouphug:

Your case is a perfect example of why the disability process needs reform!

Now onwards and upwards! What are the two of you doing to celebrate tonight?? :D

Koala77 01-28-2009 10:47 PM

Congratulations Frank. I'm glad they finally came to their senses! :rolleyes:

Desinie 01-28-2009 11:19 PM

Congratulations,Frank! What a load off your shoulders,huh

weegot5kiz 01-28-2009 11:57 PM

Thanks again Deb and I went out for some lunch after the meeting

yes its a relief for us both yes the system needs correcting, waited two years of bs appeals for a 12 minute interview and nothing has changed since i applied there hasnt been any cures for MS since 2007 so why make someone appeal 4 times to look at docs note ask a few questions and approve it, is it a matter of hoping some will just say forget it, or what. is it a mere fact that its just their formula or procedure

again thanks folks

Victor H 01-29-2009 09:14 AM

I am glad that you got the SSDI.

Congrats!

-Vic

Vonn07 01-30-2009 10:08 AM

good for you, Frank ...

I haven't been on NT much, so I missed your announcement!! :( sorry!

you deserve it - now you can move forward!

Jappy 01-30-2009 04:36 PM

:)
I am glad that the waiting and anticipation is over for you.

This gov. has got to change their rules and regulations.

Myself I can't complain. When I applied for SSD I got it on the first try.

The only thing that was different my DH was put down as the payee for
me. The state dr. felt I wasn't able to take care of my personal needs and
that I would need help in handling the money.

My DS until he was 18yrs. old also got a check each month. Your
children that are under 18 will be eligiable also. I can't remember how we
applied for him. My DD was older then him.

Jappy

Jappy

doxiemama 01-30-2009 06:05 PM

Congratulations Frank. Social Security is starting to look at MS differently and hopefully it will be easier for people to get on disability. I used to determine social security disability for almost 15 years. It was so hard to go the process that all my clients went through. I had to ask others for help and my application wasn't totally finished. I ended up having the people at social security help me finish up all the paperwork and the person who handled my claim did some of the paperwork by phone and even talked to my husband. It was a humbling experience.

They had to send my case to Tallahassee because everyone knew me in Tampa.

It was hard to stop working (and I was even doing it from home by then and had dowgraded my work to a data entry clerk). It took a visit from a dear friend to tell me it was time.

I have no regrets, except my check is a fraction of what my salary was. It was a little hard at first, but I think back and remember how exhausted I was at the end of the day. I really had no quality of life. On top of that, I wasn't putting out the amount of work that was coming in. The hardest part has been the isolation, but my days are full (because it takes me so long to do things) and having NT has helped me through the hard times.

Doxie

oldsteve 01-31-2009 05:17 AM

Big handshakes to Frank.

Congrats buddy! I had to go through a couple of denials from the state run DDS who never checked with my neuro. They could only quote doctors that I had seen for issues not related to MS as their basis for denial. Even when I pointed this out, they just ignored me.

I finally had to get an attorney for it. Had an ALJ hearing, and got approved.

Yes, I know it's a bittersweet victory. But in the current economic climate, I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to look for a job with everybody else these days. So, anyway, congrats again.

By the way, this thing took me about 3 years to get through. It was kind of tough to realize that I had paid into the SS system since I was 17, and have to jump through so many hoops to get there.

weegot5kiz 01-31-2009 05:28 AM

im glad I dont have to look either its tough out there and folks being laid off left and right...doxie yeah i too would rather my old wages heck half of my old wages and i would be fine as wine, just have to plant a bigger garden this year and do what needs to be done

Niko 01-31-2009 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 455160)
well folks it took two years a number of denials and one appeal hearing but I am approved for SS benefits, I got mixed emotions about it, glad its over yet sad cause it, I guess in a way solidifies the fact I got MS:Bang-Head:

I wanted to thank all who helped me and offered their support, thank you all very much:hug:

Congrats! And you'll get used to the idea soon enough (I did) and then you'll get used to the paperwork that streams through the mailbox.

And you'll be very happy and relieved that you went through the process and didn't give up!

Congrats again!

Niko:cool:

Vonn07 01-31-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsteve (Post 457217)
I finally had to get an attorney for it. Had an ALJ hearing, and got approved.

hey OldSteve ... I'm in the 'waiting' mode too - what should one expect with/from an ALJ hearing?? I just got a letter telling me that I'll get another letter that will have a date (20 days out) from the letter for the ALJ hearing ...

yes - I have a lawyer ... so I hope I don't have to say anything ...

thanks!!

now Frank can become that famous, published poet that we all know and love!

thecatsmeow 01-31-2009 11:08 AM

I am not on here as much as I wish but I love seeing good news when I am. :) Congrats!

Joyce

Lady 02-01-2009 04:03 AM

Congratulations Frank. You did good! :):)

We work hard all our life, and pay into the system all the years. It shouldn't have to be that hard to get the money we deserve. Not like we are going to be cured like some injuries are. It permanent.:(

I don't know why people have to jump through hoops to get it. :confused: If your doctor says you have a disabling disease, you are disabled, period. This is how I think now when I look back.

I was approved on the first try and was surprised. I have MS 30+ years and worked most of them, fighting to get through the day, three kids. I thought you had to be half dead to get SSDI. When I got it I thought I must be half-dead then. :D

Everyone said don't bother to sign up for it, no one gets it. Their doctor (SS)thought different. I still live in denial. It's my comfort zone, my space.:) Keeps my happy.;)

oldsteve 02-02-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonn07 (Post 457448)
hey OldSteve ... I'm in the 'waiting' mode too - what should one expect with/from an ALJ hearing?? I just got a letter telling me that I'll get another letter that will have a date (20 days out) from the letter for the ALJ hearing ...

yes - I have a lawyer ... so I hope I don't have to say anything ...

thanks!!

now Frank can become that famous, published poet that we all know and love!

Vonn, in my case I had a vocational expert at the hearing who determined that I performed "heavy labor" in the past and could not be expected to continue doing so. He also ruled out so called sedentary jobs. I used to install large machines used in semiconductor manufacturing, so I get the "heavy labor" part. But I also knew electronics, so I was surprised that the dude ruled out sit-down jobs as well. But I wasn't about to object.

My attorney had told me not to volunteer any extra information or embellish anything that had already been said.

After my award, he also told me that the neuro's statements were some of the biggest guns in our arsenal. So I hope that your docs are all on board with you. I remember telling my neuro that I felt funny applying for SSDI and he said "Why? You've earned it." And that's true. I started paying into SS at age 17. Was dx'ed at 44. So, yes I did earn it.

So, just follow your attorney's advice and you'll probably be fine.