NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Community & Forum Feedback (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/)
-   -   How can we let people know about the new BT2? (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/740-people-bt2.html)

ConsiderThis 09-13-2006 01:17 AM

How can we let people know about the new BT2?

I wish that everyone who misses BT could find BT2 and get connected to people again.

How do you think we could let people know?

stevem53 09-13-2006 08:00 AM

Im kinda surprised that people havent simply done a google search

Chemar 09-13-2006 08:25 AM

Hi Consider This and Steve
yes, Google will pick up a lot here and hopefully many will be directed to BT2

But, as surprising as it may seem to us who use Google or other search engines so much, for many people, all that they use on their computers is bookmarked sites or sites that someone sends them a link to. So where Google will bring in many old and new members, there is still the large group who are just going to that blank page for BT1 and leaving disheartened

That is why I think it is so important for all of us who have any email addys from friends at BT1 to email them and also to post links to here on other forums we may frequent. Also, those who have personal blogs etc...post the link there too, and anywhere else where it can be picked up by the search engines, and/or seen by other people

If each of us just does what we can, even tho we cant reach everyone who needs BT, yet we can reach some, who in turn can reach others.........:)

lindylanka 09-13-2006 09:26 AM

What it really needs is a simple web page with braintalk communities in it's meta tag data that will give a link to this site. It would need to be pushed to the top of the ranking so it appeared right up there with the hastypastry site.
Also in the meta data 'braintalk survivors' as well as a good friendly message in a bottle.....

search engine stuff is not my forte, but perhaps someone is good at this stuff....

Lindy :D

Jomar 09-13-2006 09:41 AM

when BT1 first went down I did searches for other forums - but none were as good - didn't feel like "home".

so I just kept checking my bookmarked link and using the flash chat til it went down too.

A forum friend sent me the link to BT2 by email, that's how I got here.

I think many are just checking the BT1 link and waiting......especially since the online date was mentioned as Sept5?? and still no new message there.

ConsiderThis 09-13-2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 5430)
Hi Consider This and Steve
yes, Google will pick up a lot here and hopefully many will be directed to BT2

But, as surprising as it may seem to us who use Google or other search engines so much, for many people, all that they use on their computers is bookmarked sites or sites that someone sends them a link to. So where Google will bring in many old and new members, there is still the large group who are just going to that blank page for BT1 and leaving disheartened

That is why I think it is so important for all of us who have any email addys from friends at BT1 to email them and also to post links to here on other forums we may frequent. Also, those who have personal blogs etc...post the link there too, and anywhere else where it can be picked up by the search engines, and/or seen by other people

If each of us just does what we can, even tho we cant reach everyone who needs BT, yet we can reach some, who in turn can reach others.........:)

I didn't think about that, about only using bookmarked sites. Even though I too rely on them a huge amount. (I hate change because I get so confused and it's never fun to feel awash in confusion.)

That's a really good idea about posting the link.

Do you think it would help if we had links to helpful web sites here, the way BT did? (When I was first starting my site a little girl's dad started telling me how to get my site noticed by Google, and one of the things was to have links with other sites -- back and forth... I got a list of directories and submitted my site to about a hundred, or more. I don't know if that's how come so many people come to my site ... I seldom see one of the directories listed in my stats showing where people came from... but maybe the search engines send more people because of the directories...)

I really understand very little about this... about the web...

ConsiderThis 09-13-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylanka (Post 5462)
What it really needs is a simple web page with braintalk communities in it's meta tag data that will give a link to this site. It would need to be pushed to the top of the ranking so it appeared right up there with the hastypastry site.
Also in the meta data 'braintalk survivors' as well as a good friendly message in a bottle.....

search engine stuff is not my forte, but perhaps someone is good at this stuff....

Lindy :D

See, you sound VERY VERY knowledgeable... VERY.

What I was thinking, because I'm unclear on the meta tags, was that maybe if we posted enough in that first forum, using the words we would ordinarily use about the problems, then....

But see, I'm really unclear on how it works.

Wheelin Rev 09-13-2006 10:42 AM

FWIW, somebody appears to have registered www.neurotalk.org as of Septemeber 10, 2006 according to NetworkSolutions' webpage. You will see it if you click on the hypertext link in the previous sentence for NeuroTalk.

artist 09-13-2006 10:46 AM

Google has already picked it up, so no need to do all that - and anyway it must be done by the webmaster (I'd be astonished if DocJohn hasn't already drenched the site in meta tags, keywords et al). Anyone searching for Braintalk will find, about a third of the way down the first page, the following entries - so it's quite easy to find if you're searching. We've just got to let everyone know by email, postings wherever possible and be patient. It's growing pretty quickly now.
all the best.

What Happened to the Braintalk Communities? - World of Psychology
On July 20, 2006, Braintalk.org seems to have gone offline and hasn’t been seen ... I was an active member of BrainTalk on the Gluten Sensitivity board, ...
psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2006/ 08/11/what-happened-to-the-braintalk-communities/ - 53k - Cached - Similar*pages

Comments on: What Happened to the Braintalk Communities?
Isn’t it interesting that the original braintalk is broken, but the other parts of the hastypastry server are running just fine? ...
psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2006/ 08/11/what-happened-to-the-braintalk-communities/feed/ - 12k - Cached - Similar*pages

Brain Talk 2 Communities
A place for people to find support for neurological and brain disorders.
forums.braintalk2.org/index.php - 57k - Cached - Similar*pages

ConsiderThis 09-13-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelin Rev (Post 5487)
FWIW, somebody appears to have registered www.neurotalk.org as of Septemeber 10, 2006 according to NetworkSolutions' webpage. You will see it if you click on the hypertext link in the previous sentence for NeuroTalk.

I think there was discussion about... see I can't remember names, but I think there was discussion about how someone here had done that earlier on...
take a look on the name threads...

ConsiderThis 09-13-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artist (Post 5490)
Google has already picked it up, so no need to do all that - and anyway it must be done by the webmaster (I'd be astonished if DocJohn hasn't already drenched the site in meta tags, keywords et al). Anyone searching for Braintalk will find, about a third of the way down the first page, the following entries - so it's quite easy to find if you're searching. We've just got to let everyone know by email, postings wherever possible and be patient. It's growing pretty quickly now.
all the best.

What Happened to the Braintalk Communities? - World of Psychology
On July 20, 2006, Braintalk.org seems to have gone offline and hasn’t been seen ... I was an active member of BrainTalk on the Gluten Sensitivity board, ...
psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2006/ 08/11/what-happened-to-the-braintalk-communities/ - 53k - Cached - Similar*pages

Comments on: What Happened to the Braintalk Communities?
Isn’t it interesting that the original braintalk is broken, but the other parts of the hastypastry server are running just fine? ...
psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2006/ 08/11/what-happened-to-the-braintalk-communities/feed/ - 12k - Cached - Similar*pages

Brain Talk 2 Communities
A place for people to find support for neurological and brain disorders.
forums.braintalk2.org/index.php - 57k - Cached - Similar*pages

Wow, you found all those? Great. I think you must put in better search words than I do.

:)

Jaye 09-13-2006 10:50 AM

OMG yes, linking back and forth

That's a big one! To find all the sites that have links to braintalk1, type in the google search box:

link:www.braintalk.org

It won't work to click here, you have to put it in the google box.
No space.

Also try the hast-pastry address.

WITH DOCJOHN'S PERMISSION we could notify all these sites that a new board exists with many members in common with BT! and ask them to link with this address or to post a notice.

Yes?

Jaye

Chemar 09-13-2006 11:08 AM

yes, DocJohn has been proactive (as he seems to be in everything he does :p ) in getting the word out about BT2, and infois already showing well on the SE's

I believe it was reveretti (?) who has registered neurotalk.org in case this site's name has to change

I have posted an update on the Latitudes TS forum that I moderate and also have links running here from it's other forums

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/inde...62&#entry11862

hey Curious.............time to put on an extra pot of the hazlenut coffee and get baking yer choccy delights cuz more company is coming :D

Junie 09-13-2006 11:10 AM

I found this place because I am a bit lazy and only typed in braintalk:)

ConsiderThis 09-13-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junie (Post 5508)

Oh, that's very encouraging.

:)

That's VERY encouraging!!!!!!

artist 09-13-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelin Rev (Post 5487)

Yes, Reverett123 registered it, he posted in the name discussion thread - he'd already nabbed it for a PD forum but has, incredibly generously, offered us it if we want it. People can be so darn nice, ya know? :)
all the best

Curious 09-13-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 5506)
yes, DocJohn has been proactive (as he seems to be in everything he does :p ) in getting the word out about BT2, and infois already showing well on the SE's

I believe it was reveretti (?) who has registered neurotalk.org in case this site's name has to change

I have posted an update on the Latitudes TS forum that I moderate and also have links running here from it's other forums

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/inde...62&#entry11862

hey Curious.............time to put on an extra pot of the hazlenut coffee and get baking yer choccy delights cuz more company is coming :D

good thing i have a HUGE convection oven and jo's coffee urn.

back to the kitchen i go....i got a great recipe from jingle...

Curious 09-13-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junie (Post 5508)

welcome junie!

Chemar 09-13-2006 11:20 AM

Hi Junie :) and welcome!

paula_w 09-13-2006 11:26 AM

Anyone who has a personal site or knows someone else who does - put the link and a brief description. I wlll put it on http://grassrootsconnection.com and http://pdpipeline.org

Paula

Junie 09-13-2006 11:44 AM

Hi everyone,
I mainly posted in the chronic pain and spinal disorders and went in to have a level 2 lumbar fusion and when I came back from hosp 10 days later site had crashed.....and I was so much in need of help since I had so many complications with my fusion. Glad to have found this place since I am still having problems.....just waiting on those forums to get a bit busier!:)

Wittesea 09-13-2006 07:29 PM

another idea is to hang out in the chatroom for the original BT to make sure that anyone who visits there knows of this forum...

The chat doesn't always work, but it's up often enough to at least make the effort to log in to inform the people there that there is a forum available.

You do need to know/remember your original BT username and password to log in

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/chat/flashchat.php

ConsiderThis 09-14-2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wittesea (Post 5725)
another idea is to hang out in the chatroom for the original BT to make sure that anyone who visits there knows of this forum...

The chat doesn't always work, but it's up often enough to at least make the effort to log in to inform the people there that there is a forum available.

Gosh, that is a really nice thing to do.

Takes patience... and caring.

JoJo6 09-14-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wittesea (Post 5725)

Morning Liz. You have a great idea there, but before anybody actually does that be sure you have your thick hide on.

Before I found out about BT2 I hung out there a lot. There were no rules against it that I knew of but if you said anything, even hinted about another place you were in heap big trouble.

It is wrong for them to treat anybody the way they did, but it didn't stop some of the Mods from doing it. Things like getting bumped off site etc. Some are so blinded by the attention the Mods give you if you're a good little boy or girl they can see nothing wrong with how others are treated.

I would go in at odd times and usually a few old friends would drop in. A Mod would come in and ask if Mod So & So had been in that day, they growled and said they would be in big trouble.

Just a carry over of the underhanded ways the Mods ran the forums. I have heard others call them Hitler:rolleyes: Can't say that I didn't think the thought too at times!

So Liz, its a great idea, but don't want others to get hurt. I don't care what they threaten me with, my hide got thick a long time ago:D If you do this make sure you remember we are hear for you and will welcome you back with no banning;) Jo

dorry 09-14-2006 08:21 AM

Quote:

Morning Liz. You have a great idea there, but before anybody actually does that be sure you have your thick hide on.

Before I found out about BT2 I hung out there a lot. There were no rules against it that I knew of but if you said anything, even hinted about another place you were in heap big trouble.
haha I was in ZS chat last week by my lonesome and mod #1 (whoever that is) came in and told me there were ppl in BT1's chat room and I should go there. I did a naw, don't think so - not in the least bit interested, so he split.

So, if mods can try to recruit, then you certainly can :D

vigdis 09-14-2006 08:24 AM

Google did it for ME

Wow - have not visited BT for years.

Then... when I needed it... gone.

I really feel for those who depended on the OBT (as I used to), I'm sure it was a lifeline for some. I hope they find their way here.

Used to lurk in 'Neuromuscular'.

Thank you DocJohn.

Wheelin Rev 09-14-2006 09:24 AM

Hmmmm... Progress?

http://forums.neurotalk.org/

:) Dave

anonymous_no_more 09-14-2006 03:43 PM

current BT2 "meta" info

<meta name="keywords" content="braintalk,brain,talk,brain talk,community,forums,forum" />
<meta name="description" content="A place for people to find support for neurological and brain disorders." />

The above is in the current Braintalk2 code, and a search of any of these keywords should return Braintalk2 (and does) in a search results page.

Word of "mouth" isn't a bad thing either.:D

ConsiderThis 09-14-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous_no_more (Post 6043)
<meta name="keywords" content="braintalk,brain,talk,brain talk,community,forums,forum" />
<meta name="description" content="A place for people to find support for neurological and brain disorders." />

The above is in the current Braintalk2 code, and a search of any of these keywords should return Braintalk2 (and does) in a search results page.

Word of "mouth" isn't a bad thing either.:D

Especially when it's a happy mouth like your little green grin. :)

artist 09-17-2006 03:12 AM

...bump...:)

Ellie 09-17-2006 03:17 AM

Working hard, I promise!!

(Two times for the bump)

Jaye 09-17-2006 07:13 AM

Caffeine

Hi Ellie,

I just thought of something you might want to ask your doc about. You mentioned seizures connected with the withdrawal of caffeine. Surprisingly, researchers have found that people who drink coffee are somewhat less likely to develop Parkinson's Disease (PD), and that caffeine works on one kind of "A" receptor cells in the brain. They set about finding a drug for PD that would work on similar receptor cells, and sure enough, if you block the A2A receptors (name of the brain chemical or neurotransmitter is adenisone), the overall level of dopamine (which we lack) in the brain goes up. There's an experimental drug called istradefylline (or KW-6002 as its experimental name) which is an A2A receptor antagonist (blocker, sort of). I have been on istradefylline for about 2 years as a participanat in the clinical studies, and at least in my case, it has a moderately beneficial effect on my ability to move. I was thinking your doc might have a clue as to whether something like this would help you, and if not, maybe ask another neurologist.

Hmmm... I just searched PubMed ( www.pubmed.org ) on "A2A receptor antagonist and seizure" (without the quotes) and found several articles showing that they're trying out this type of drug on rats at NIH (National Institutes of Health). Also just googling on the same phrase yields some very interesting results.

Hope this is of interest.

Jaye

ConsiderThis 09-17-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaye (Post 7186)
Hi Ellie,

I just thought of something you might want to ask your doc about. You mentioned seizures connected with the withdrawal of caffeine. Surprisingly, researchers have found that people who drink coffee are somewhat less likely to develop Parkinson's Disease (PD), and that caffeine works on one kind of "A" receptor cells in the brain. They set about finding a drug for PD that would work on similar receptor cells, and sure enough, if you block the A2A receptors (name of the brain chemical or neurotransmitter is adenisone), the overall level of dopamine (which we lack) in the brain goes up. There's an experimental drug called istradefylline (or KW-6002 as its experimental name) which is an A2A receptor antagonist (blocker, sort of). I have been on istradefylline for about 2 years as a participanat in the clinical studies, and at least in my case, it has a moderately beneficial effect on my ability to move. I was thinking your doc might have a clue as to whether something like this would help you, and if not, maybe ask another neurologist.

Hmmm... I just searched PubMed ( www.pubmed.org ) on "A2A receptor antagonist and seizure" (without the quotes) and found several articles showing that they're trying out this type of drug on rats at NIH (National Institutes of Health). Also just googling on the same phrase yields some very interesting results.

Hope this is of interest.

Jaye

Oh! This is such a brilliant post!!!!!
I wish you would post it under General. I think visitors who came here and read this post might be very happy with the new information.

Please woiuld you think about doing that?????

Ellie 09-17-2006 12:29 PM

Maybe we can kick up a clinical study thread? Post what we know and if anyone is involved.

Jaye 09-17-2006 12:58 PM

Consider This and other caffeine heads

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConsiderThis (Post 7251)
Oh! This is such a brilliant post!!!!!
I wish you would post it under General. I think visitors who came here and read this post might be very happy with the new information.

Please woiuld you think about doing that?????

CT,

I have done as you suggested. Thanks. It's work, and this old work horse is getting very tired. I or someone should work up some lessons on how to find out medical things, I suppose, since it's been so useful in helping others and in keeping my docs on their toes ;) (LOL, mine are the finest). Here are some suggestions to start with:

You can learn to use the public medical library (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/) with simple tutorials they have there for free. You can look up words in a medical dictionary at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mplusdictionary.html.

Don't be medically in the dark. Learn and be in charge of your life (no one else is that into it, LOL).

I'm not in the medical field, but I can read.

Jaye

ConsiderThis 09-17-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaye (Post 7338)
CT,

I have done as you suggested. Thanks. It's work, and this old work horse is getting very tired. I or someone should work up some lessons on how to find out medical things, I suppose, since it's been so useful in helping others and in keeping my docs on their toes ;) (LOL, mine are the finest). Here are some suggestions to start with:

You can learn to use the public medical library (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/) with simple tutorials they have there for free. You can look up words in a medical dictionary at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mplusdictionary.html.

Don't be medically in the dark. Learn and be in charge of your life (no one else is that into it, LOL).

I'm not in the medical field, but I can read.

Jaye

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

((((((((Jaye))))))))

What a great work horse you are!!!!!

But you don't seem like a horse to me, At All!

I hope you are feeling happy today! (((((((Jaye)))))))

ConsiderThis 09-17-2006 01:19 PM

I just sent out an eCard to people who have written to me after visiting my site...

here's a link if you want to take a look at the eCard...

http://www.americangreetings.com/vie...7&source=ag992

If anyone wants to use it, and wants me to change the Sender's Name, let me know. :)