NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/)
-   -   FMS & Work (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/48641-fms.html)

warbelsnap 06-24-2008 07:46 PM

FMS & Work

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with dealing with work issues due to not being able to go to work because of pain? I missed 2 days last week and 1 this week. I'm worried I may loose my job. Sometimes it is just so hard to get up in the morning. My husband, a wonderful man, has been trying to be understanding, but can't when I say I hurt too bad. I went to the book store today and got "Fibromyalgia for Dummies". I've started reading it. So far it seems pretty good. Has anyone else read it? Would you recommend your spouse read it also? Thanks in advance.

DM 06-24-2008 08:25 PM

Hi~ Yes, give your DH literature on FM to read. I'm sorry you are having troubles at work, but I can understand it. I had to give up a job that I absolutely loved b/c I just couldn't take the fatigue, hours and stamina it takes to work. Just keeping up my home is exhausting.

Another good read is The Fibromyalgia Handbook. It's always on my bedside table. My DH did not read it, but he has researched FM on the net, so knows what I go through on a daily basis. Unfortunately for me, I have some other illness's going on besides the FM. Hope you can get some understanding at work and home. Maybe cut your work hours??? Good luck.

fiberowendy2000 07-09-2008 02:23 AM

Totally understand.....the last 3 weeks I have not worked a full week because of my FM or other "effects" from having FM like headaches or that general feeling of unwellness (is that a word?). I have been away from the boards for a while because of work and I feel that the stress of work is making me worse. But what can we do? We have to do something.
I hope you feel better soon.

warbelsnap 07-09-2008 02:50 AM

Thanks for the replys. My husband comes home in a little over a week from his parents house. I am going to discuss with him the option of cutting back my hours. Depending on what he says, I'll go talk to my bosses to get their take on this. It won't be forever just until we can get the right dosage of medicine. I know I'm still going to be in pain. However, if we can get it to a bearable point and I can function, then that is perfect. Good luck to you all.

Doody 07-09-2008 10:55 AM

Hi Warbelsnap. I have the same problems and I still drag myself to work. We have leave days for good reason and have every right to stay home when it's just too much!

I hope you and your husband are able to find a way for you to reduce your hours. Wish that I could but it's just impossible at this point.

Fibro sucks. :o

Much love. :hug:

warbelsnap 07-09-2008 07:10 PM

:grouphug:Thanks. You have a good point Doody about the leave. However, I have used all my leave. I've done my FMLA paperwork and the doctor gave me up to 6 months. FIBRO does suck. Good luck. :wink:

groundpounder 07-10-2008 11:09 AM

I've posted here several times about work issues. Even after supplying a document to HR about my limitations, I get "harrased" about working more than 40 hrs per wk. My doctor told me to ignore my management and leave after normal hours. I wish I had a way to fight it before I lose my job.

warbelsnap 07-10-2008 11:44 AM

I think some people just don't understand or better yet just don't want to. Companies are in it to make money. That is the bottom line. I do think that companies need to find a balance for making money and taking care of their people. I believe if they do the later that it takes care of the first. They just don't get it. I'm sorry you are having problems too. I sure wish there was an easy way to fix it all. Good luck and keep in touch.

Idealist 07-10-2008 10:47 PM

If I were you, I would educate my spouse while he's still sympathetic, and wants to understand. If not, then the day might come when he won't care, and then all the explanations in the world won't matter. I owned my own business when I became ill, so I was able to take it easier on bad days. But there still came a point where I couldn't work at all, and since I was the back-bone of the whole operation, I was forced to close a business of 18 years. Good luck, Warble. I hope that things turn out better for you.

warbelsnap 07-11-2008 08:39 AM

Thanks for all. I am having such a rough morning that I decided to talk to my husband over the phone about reducing my hours. The mornings seem the roughest for me as well as later evening. He agreed and said to do what I needed to do. I am going into work around 11am. I am going to discuss this with my bosses. I'll let you guys know what they said.

redheadjudy 07-22-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbelsnap (Post 319940)
:grouphug:Thanks. You have a good point Doody about the leave. However, I have used all my leave. I've done my FMLA paperwork and the doctor gave me up to 6 months. FIBRO does suck. Good luck. :wink:

I'm new to this site, have fibro, disc disease and some other things, so can relate to what you're going through especially w/work. I've also done FMLA, now am to a point where I just can't keep up the work schedule. My employer offers short to long term disability, is that an option with yours?

I'm only 57, physically feel 97, mentally feel 37, wish they'd all get together.
Hang in there.

warbelsnap 07-22-2008 06:47 PM

Yes they do. However, I just found out yesterday that by law I am only entitled to 12 weeks of FMLA a year. After that, my employer is legally allowed to get my benefits, etc. Also yesterday, they told me they would be cutting my benefits to include leave, etc. I was told they have been very patient with me and willing to work with me. I feel they have to a point. I have been with them for almost 8 years and I feel like that means nothing to them. I know they are in business to make money. However, I feel if you don't take care of your employees then the money is doesn't come in either. My customers love me and support me more than my company has and that is a darn shame. I talked to my husband and told him that I will work when and how much I can when I can. If the pain is too bad that day, then I won't be going in. I can only do what I can do. I have to accept that as so does my family. They are trying. However, unless you're actually are going through it or something similiar, then you really don't get it. Thanks again for all the replies. Good luck to all.

DM 07-29-2008 09:54 AM

Just popping back in to see how things are going for you. Like I said before, I can totally relate to what you are going through. I don't know what I would do if I had to get up and go into the work field on a day like today. I hurt all over, as it is so hot and humid out.

I hope you and your employers can work it out, so you can stay employed and they can keep a valuable employee on a more limited basis. Hope you feel better Warb!

Glad to see you back Wendy... I was wondering where you have been. Hope your load lightens soon and your'e feeling better.

warbelsnap 07-29-2008 10:35 AM

My doctor reduced my hours to 4-6 hours as day. However, my company isn't happy. I learned 12 weeks of FMLA is all i'm entitled to in a year. I have gone past that. They are now cutting my benefits and leave. I didn't have leave before and now I really don't. I've decided that I will work when I can and when I can't I won't. It is hard for my husband to except that. He is a worry wart. I am having a bad day also between the front that came through last night and the humidity today. One day at a time, and sometimes one moment at a time. That is all any of us can do. I just wish we could give our pain to someone for one day and see how they handle that. I do believe that my supervisors would change policies if that happened. Oh well such is life. Thanks for asking.

Doody 08-20-2008 06:23 PM

Hi Warblesnap and all.

I had an extra hard week last week and I don't know how I made it through the 3-1/2 days that I did work. Just hurt everywhere and now with the newly diagnosed arthritis, I've discovered that stuff can give you fatigue as well.

I was totally fatigued last week, a little better this week. The mornings are the worst. When I get up the stiffness is overwhelming. Even my feet hurt.

Anyway, last week I took thursday afternoon off to get my every-3-week massage. GOD I wish I could afford to see her every week. Anyway, I took the next day vacation as well because I just couldn't bear the thought of making it all the way through the week. On Friday morning I didn't wake up until after 10:30 a.m.!!!! I was more exhausted than even I knew.

People at work look at me and say, "Are you okay!?" I get really tired of telling them "I'm fine, thanks." Walk around like a really little old lady until my body can function. I usually try to take a short walk mid morning to help with the stiffness.

I hope you are doing okay.

And yes, so nice to see you again Wendy!!!

warbelsnap 08-20-2008 08:08 PM

It must be something in the air. I had a really bad week last week. My family came in this past weekend to visit. After they left Sunday, I slept for over 4 hours. I went back to bed around 11pm and didn't get up until after 10pm. I've been sleeping off and on all week. Tuesday I did 3 loads of laundry and felt like I had been working in the yard all day. My doctor told me I could not go back to work until after the Neurologist. I went there yesterday. More tests is what they want. My company is starting to get really upset at the amount of time I am missing. They called me last week in a conference call and sent me a formal letter today stating that I may have to pay them in order to keep what little benefits I have left. I go see my family dr tomorrow to discuss short term disability until we can figure what is making my symptoms worse. For the last 1.5 weeks, I have been in excutiating pain, severe muscle weekness (to the point I can barely walk to the bathroom), and shaking off and on all day. One day at a time is all we can ask right. I'll let ya'll know tomorrow how it goes.

Doody 08-21-2008 03:01 PM

Oh no dear, that sounds awful! And I'm so sorry about the work situation. It is frightening to have to take off work frequently. I've been where I am for 25 years now and you would think that I would have hundreds upon hundreds of sick leave built up.

Nope. I don't.

It really gets frustrating. I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble.

Oh, and your comment about last week! In fact, a co-worker of mine also has fibromyalgia and depression. She was really hurting last week as well. So, who knows. Maybe there was a global weather shift. :D

I think what bothers me more than anything is the fascia problem. You can touch me anywhere, ... anywhere on my body and it is sore. When I get my therapeutic massage, sometimes I am telling her wow...that HURTS! And she'll show me how much pressure she's using and it is so minimal I can't even believe my eyes. I adore her though, she is very experienced with working on fibro clients and can sense the most painful areas on me.

Let us know how you appointment goes/went, and I wonder what other tests they will do.

warbelsnap 08-21-2008 03:47 PM

My dr put me on 6 weeks of short term disability for now. He said if we have to adjust it he will. He is a good dr. Now, as long as my company can get on board. Thanks to all of you.

Doody 08-21-2008 04:31 PM

Ohhhhhh, I am crossing my fingers for you warbel !!!!!

Take some nice long hot epsom salt baths too. :hug:

warbelsnap 08-30-2008 10:57 PM

Just to let you know that my short term disability has been approved for 6 weeks. I just received the letter in the mail today. It should only take another 1 to 1.5 weeks to get my checks. One step at a time. At least they approved it. I was so worried that they would decline it. I'll be glad when it does come in, money is really tight right now. I went to Hobby Lobby today to get the stuff for my daughters Ag project and they already have their Christmas decorations out and up. I'm not ready for Christmas yet. Thank you all for comments and replies. I'll keep ya posted.

naja210 09-02-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbelsnap (Post 358180)
Just to let you know that my short term disability has been approved for 6 weeks. I just received the letter in the mail today. It should only take another 1 to 1.5 weeks to get my checks. One step at a time. At least they approved it. I was so worried that they would decline it. I'll be glad when it does come in, money is really tight right now. I went to Hobby Lobby today to get the stuff for my daughters Ag project and they already have their Christmas decorations out and up. I'm not ready for Christmas yet. Thank you all for comments and replies. I'll keep ya posted.

I hope all works out for you. I lost my job in April because of the Fibro. It took 2 months to get back on my feet. I am still not working and am trying for disability. But now I can walk and play. I need to nap alot and have to watch what I do. We are struggling financially, but I can't handle working anymore. My husband is trying to understand and I think the commercials are really helping. For me prayer, healthy eating and exercise is what helps. If you haven't already, try cutting out beef. For some reason that is a bad trigger for me and many others. Look for a support group in your area. They help alot. Good Luck!:grouphug:

warbelsnap 09-03-2008 12:07 AM

Naja...sorry to here about you losing your job. I do believe if the doctors can't come up with something besides narcotics to keep the pain to tolerable levels, then I will lose my job. My company has bad enough. I think the short term disability is their last attempt to make it look like they are helping. If that happens, then I will go collect unemployment til we can figure out what the next step will be. One day, one bridge at a time. Also, I don't eat alot of red meat...still haven't found the trigger per say. I do have an idea that it is my Dr Pepper, bread, pasta, and anything else that produces simply sugars. Good luck to you. I've looked a little bit for a support group in my area, but have not found one yet. I will keep looking. Good Luck to you. :grouphug: to all of us.

DM 09-03-2008 08:15 AM

Hello friends~ Warbs: so glad you got the disability approved for now. I hope you can get some of your energy back. I get so annoyed that FM is so misunderstood. I wouldn't wish the pain/fatigue etc etc on anyone.

Hello Naja and welcome to NeuroTalk. I'm sorry you are having to deal w/FM too.

It was a blow to me, the once most energetic person around, to have to leave a job I loved. But, it was literally taking me down in every way. The most debillitating thing, was the fact that I couldn't hack it anymore. My pride was hurt. But, alas, it was the best decision for me.

I too, am so glad there are commercials out there describing FM. I still maintain that you must live it to understand it. I also agree that they NEED to come up w/non narcotic pain meds. The Tramadol barely takes the edge off and does nothing for my leg spasms/cramps. Oh, but it's great at constipating me!!! *sorry* ARGHHHH! I find myself grabbing for the bottle and then saying Nah, what's the use???

The narco's are just too much for me. I don't like the side effects from them.

Take care everyone and I really think in "sharing" what we go through, we are helping others and each other.

sending hugs, but "gentle" ones.....

warbelsnap 09-03-2008 09:40 PM

Big thing is I'm just waiting on Aenta to approve my claim. I called today and the customer service person told me that the claim had been approved by my company but not them. :eek:They are in the processing of reviewing and then going to make the determination if they are going to give me benefits or not. I had this happen in Feb when I had my second surgery in 18months for scar tissue removal. The surgeon @ Emory put me out for 8 weeks but Aetna would only approve it for 6 weeks even though this was the second time in 18 months having the same surgery. I just don't understand how or why the insurance companies are allowed to override what the doctors say. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against nurses. However, they have a paid nurse on staff to review all claims that come in. Seems wrong to me. I also realize that insurance companies are in it to make money. That is also wrong when it comes at the health expense of a person and their family. I will let you know how things are progressing. Thanks for all your thoughts. :confused::(

Doody 09-13-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 360767)
I too, am so glad there are commercials out there describing FM. I still maintain that you must live it to understand it. ..

Oh, me too DM. Finally, prominent commercials that address Fibro. Never thought I'd see that.

Sometimes I wonder how I'm still working but I just have no choice. In the mornings, especially the last couple months, I've been having a hard time at work most especially in the mornings. I walk around like a really old woman in pain. LOL I am, what am I saying. I have trouble getting up and down from my desk all the time. And people look at me and ask, oh my goodness, what's wrong. Now I actually say, it's my fibro, not doin so good.

((Naja)) it's nice to meet you. I'm sorry for what you've been through and not being able to work anymore. It'll be okay.

((Warble)) I'm sorry to hear about the delay! Geesh, get with it people.

Oh, and Tramadol does nothing for me. I have a lot of trouble with with those types of drugsd because of my ulcerative colitis. I can barely take Advil. For whatever reason, they make the UC start to flare like crazy, and truth be told...I've been having a lot of flaring problems this past year. My annual colonoscopy is next month, Oh goody. :rolleyes:

Hugs and love. Time for me to soak in a hot epsom salt bath.

Doody 09-13-2008 07:13 PM

Come to th8ink of it, I've had a lot of my bodily problems going wrong lately. Even my migraines have come to the fore. I just wonder if the change in the weather has had something to do with it, I dunno. I dread any flareup of migraines or the UC. Too debilitating.

Anyone else really affected by the weather? I didn't think I was but maybe I am. But then, I've been more stressed than usual lately as well.

Guess it's time for me to really work on getting myself 're'-centered and get back to regular meditation.

warbelsnap 09-13-2008 08:02 PM

Doody, the weather does affect me a lot. I notice it more and more.

All...still waiting on the insurance company to approve my short term disability. At this rate, it will be time to extend it and the fight starts all over again. I just wish there was some miracle drug that would help us all. I've tried all natural and everything. I am taking all natural supplements for hair, nails and skin because my hair is coming out and breaking and just looks awfully. My nails and skin are just as bad. My husband has me taking B12 for energy along with all of the other medicines i'm on. I take roxicodone (15 to 30 mg) every 4 to 6 hours for pain plus cymbalta, zoloft, sleeping medicine, GERD medicine and thyroid medicine and they still barely help. For some time now, I have been having severe muscle weakness (have fallen down stairs 3 different times cause me legs gave out) and I shake off and on all day long. Been going to more DRs to figure out what is causing the extra. Just what I needed on top of all the pain.

Good Luck to all and keep in touch.

warbelsnap 09-23-2008 09:53 PM

Well...wanted to give ya'll an update. Aetna disapproved my claim stating the information submitted by the neurologist does not back up what my primary doc is saying. I tried to explain to the guy on the phone that there are no blood tests out there that can nail down the diagnosis. It is a process of elimination based on symptoms and blood test coming back normal. He said on my paperwork it states that I have low throid, but the test came back normal. I explained to him that I take thryoid medicine everyday and that is why it came back normal. I asked if he read the complete paperwork. He said yes. I told him the medication is listed on the paperwork. No answer then. He tried to tell me he understands what I am going through. At that point I kinda lost it. I told him he does not understand the pain, etc. as well as watching my family have to watch me suffer everyday, the things I use to enjoy doing I can't anymore, etc. No answer again. He just stated I would be receiving my denial letter in a few days. My husband and I are going to call a few attorneys tomorrow to find out what our options are (if we have any) and see what we can do. Eventually, this would have went into long term disability. So now thanks to Aetna, we may lose our home and everything else. I'll let you know what the attorney's say. Thanks all for listening.

warbelsnap 09-26-2008 12:04 AM

Had to contact an attorney. Attorney's office said I have a case. So we are going to go after them. I've also decided to try for Social Security. Since I can't work full or even part time them I need to get something coming in so we don't lose our home and everything else. thanks to all for your thoughts. Good luck all my fibro friends.

Doody 09-27-2008 11:33 AM

((Betty)) So sorry to hear about this, darn it. I would have been infurated. Keep us posted on what happens of course. I hope the attorney works fast and gets this taken care of. :hug:

Dmom3005 09-27-2008 09:59 PM

Sorry to read about this. Also wanting you to keep us updated.

Donna

warbelsnap 10-06-2008 11:02 PM

Hey all. Still waiting on Aetna. We have faxed over 50 more pages including a clarification letter from the neuro stating they found nothing wrong and test were normal neurologically only. I sure hope it works. However, they have had all of the info since last Wednesday. I know my case is not the only one. However, as long as it has been hanging around, you'd figure they would want to get mine out of the way the quickest. That is what I would do. It is the most reasonably and logically thing. However, reasonably and logically do not exist in insurance companies vocab or standard practice. Same as common sense. Maybe if they would use a little of all the above, then insurance companies would look so bad. They might actually look like they care. Thanks all for the thoughts. I'll keep you updated.

Doody 10-07-2008 08:39 AM

Aargh, I'm sure this happens a lot! I think that making people jump through the hoops is part of their strategy! :rolleyes:

((warbel))

warbelsnap 10-07-2008 11:49 AM

I wouldn't doubt it. Its all about the bottom line and forget the people who need it.

wendyoh 12-01-2008 11:57 PM

update?

hi i am new here and just read this thread. I only work p.t. due to disability from this stuff and can relate, am debating if should go for full disability at some point as even p.t. is getting harder....
what happened with aetna? i am familiar with them. I think they behave differently with different employers.

Gina0123 12-09-2008 10:10 PM

Me again

I would suggest getting family members to read up as much as they can about FM, it sure can't hurt. Also, there was a video that I showed my family. I think it was called "Fibromyalgia and You."

I would recommend trying to find the video. The local hospital had it hereand let me take it home.

warbelsnap 12-10-2008 11:15 AM

I'll have to look into that. My hubby talk to a lady at his work who has it. It gave him some new insite. He has now been trying to listen a little more. One day at a time is all we can do.

finz 12-17-2008 05:37 AM

I'm so sorry that you are having to wait for the money. I'm glad that you are working with an attorney......it's still a lengthy process for SSDI and to fight for disability payments. I found it gratifying just to know the lawyer believed me and thought I deserved disability. I was starting to feel like I was crazy.....how could WC and SSDI not "get it" that I am in pain all the time and miserable.

warbelsnap 12-17-2008 08:06 AM

We all understand. Thanks for the inputs. I will keep you guys updated on the status.

nicoleterese 03-01-2009 12:57 AM

myofascial pain

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbelsnap (Post 308863)
Hi all. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with dealing with work issues due to not being able to go to work because of pain? I missed 2 days last week and 1 this week. I'm worried I may loose my job. Sometimes it is just so hard to get up in the morning. My husband, a wonderful man, has been trying to be understanding, but can't when I say I hurt too bad. I went to the book store today and got "Fibromyalgia for Dummies". I've started reading it. So far it seems pretty good. Has anyone else read it? Would you recommend your spouse read it also? Thanks in advance.

Try looking up Myofascial Pain. It when your muscles swell and tighten up. It causes a lot of pain. Look at your body where you feel the pain and see if it looks different. I am going through this now. I thought that I had Fibromyalgia, but the doctor said it was Myofascial or (MPS) muscle pain syndrome. What you feel is real, and really painful. When I was working it hurt a lot, but I kept on going because I had to. Dont loose your job. Go to the doctor and get some type of pain medicine. Good Luck!