NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/)
-   -   New Epileptic paitent. (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/102605-epileptic-paitent.html)

tos8 09-08-2009 10:52 PM

New Epileptic paitent.

Hi. I was just dignosed with epilepsy about 3 months ago. When I had my first one it lasted for over 30 min and of course I landed in the hospital. I had an EEG done and it showed active seizures. I have partial complex seizures and they have been very hard to manage! I now thankfully havent had one for a week now that my meds keep getting increased. I was up to having them 4-5 times a week and it was taking a hard toll on my body. I have noticed that my thinking and speech is a bit slower and gets mixed up. It has been very difficult dealing with them as I also have thoracic outlet syndrome. The thing I hate the most is I have had a couple of them out in public and I get very embaressed by that. Anyone else deal with complex partial seizures?

Porkette 09-09-2009 06:19 PM

Hi tos8,
Welcome to the forum I've had complex partial and absence (petit mal) seizures for 37 yrs. now. I had 2 brain surgeries to help reduce my seizures. Take my word the best thing for you to do is to start taking vitamin B12 once a day 1000 mcg., and keep a journal of all our seizures write down what time they happen along with a discription this will help your neurologist and he/she might be able to see a pattern in your seizures. Also take note if your are going through hormonal changes because this can trigger seizures, bright lights can cause them for some people also.
Complex partial seizures are one of the hardest types of seizures to control and they can sometimes lead into tonic clonic seizures (grand mal). I found the best AED's (seizure meds) for me to take was mysoline, and Diamox, I also just recently started the drug keppra and since I got up to the drug level my neurologist wanted me on I haven't had a single seizure.
Stay away from diet soda and anything with nutra sweet in it because the nutra sweet (aspartame) can trigger seizures for people because it causes more electrical activity in the brain. Take note if you have seizures when there's a low pressure in the weather sometimes this can cause seizures also. The 2 main things that cause seizures are stress and lack of sleep. You are probably feeling a little tired because your body may not be used to the meds your taking yet. My best advice to you is to go to an Epilepsy Center which is often found at a University Hospital and ask to see an Epileptolgist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) I've gotten the most help from an Epileptologst, they are way ahead and understand the epilepsy much better, and they have had me on the least meds. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-09-2009 08:46 PM

Thank you so much sue for all the info! There have been many times I know when I am going to have one, have you ever exsperainced that? and if so how do you try to controle it from happening? Some of them I notice by what usally starts with my hand twitching and this can go on all day and then it leads to my whole body and vision change and loss of balance and then usally within the hour of my whole body twitching and all the other stuff I will have a seizure. Another is its like my brain doesnt feel right, its like its just all over the place. And then the times I dont know when im going to have one at all and it just happens. I am not aware when I do go into a seizure and I cannot get myself out of one unless some one is there with me and knows how to handle it. Some of them im in a deep stare and others my body is drawn up and still in a very deep stare. I cannot talk after I have them and then once I can my speech stays very slurred for hours. We have not been able to time the last couple of them because ive been by myself and the only reason I know ive had one is because I feel like a truck has hit me. I am on tegretol and my nuero doc feels thats the best med for me to be on for this type of seizure. All I know is its been very difficult!

Darlene 09-10-2009 12:34 AM

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. You will find a greart number of friends here to assist as they can.

Sue gave you some wonderful information on epilepsy. I have had epilepsy for 45 years. One of the many things I have learn is that you have to take a day at a time. What helps one in treatment may not help others. You need to have patience in the actions of treatments.

At this time I am on Lamital and Keppra, and I also have a VNS (vagal nerve stimulator). I am at this time at Parkland in Dallas going through some testings. Hopefully they can come up with a better treatment. I have absence (petit mal) seizures for a large length of time. I now have developed Tonic-Clonic Seizures.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Again welcome.

Darlene:hug:

Porkette 09-10-2009 05:53 PM

Hi tos8,
There have been many times over the yrs. that I get a nervous feeling in my stomach and I know it will lead to an absence (petit mal) or complex partial seizure. Back in the 1970's my neuro told me the moment I got the feeling I was going to have a seizure to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists for a few seconds by doing this it will sto the seizure and take my word it works great. Another thing you can do is put a cool washcloth on your face and the back of your neck this will stop the neurons in your brain from firing up and triggering a seizure. This is fairly new and I just finished working with Drs. on a medical study with this and it works great. Take my word the stare and not being able to speak is all part of a complex partial seizure, if you are having vision problems this is telling me that the seizure is starting from the optical lobe which is the back of your head where your eyesight is and if you can't speak it's also affecting the left temporal lobe of your brain where your speech is.
I'm no Dr.but it sounds like your complex partials are leading into clonic seizures where you can't control your bodies muscles twitching this is what happened to me and I used to take tegretol but after taking it for yrs. I broke out with a rash. I will tell you to stay away from grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on tegretol because the enyzmes in the fruit will mess up the tegretol. Also take note if you get sick with a cold or virus you might have more seizures because over the counter meds will slow down the drugs going through your blood and it can trigger seizures. You might want to look into taking phenobarbital, mysoline, or keppra for your seizures. Another drug that has worked great for me is diamox. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-10-2009 09:43 PM

Thank you sue! I do take tegretol. Im just up to 800 mg a day. Today I very much thought I was going to have one, but I do the cold water thing already, I did it one day while I was in church and thought I was going to have one and since then thats what I try to do, And it does help! Thank you so much for all this info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 564973)
Hi tos8,
There have been many times over the yrs. that I get a nervous feeling in my stomach and I know it will lead to an absence (petit mal) or complex partial seizure. Back in the 1970's my neuro told me the moment I got the feeling I was going to have a seizure to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists for a few seconds by doing this it will sto the seizure and take my word it works great. Another thing you can do is put a cool washcloth on your face and the back of your neck this will stop the neurons in your brain from firing up and triggering a seizure. This is fairly new and I just finished working with Drs. on a medical study with this and it works great. Take my word the stare and not being able to speak is all part of a complex partial seizure, if you are having vision problems this is telling me that the seizure is starting from the optical lobe which is the back of your head where your eyesight is and if you can't speak it's also affecting the left temporal lobe of your brain where your speech is.
I'm no Dr.but it sounds like your complex partials are leading into clonic seizures where you can't control your bodies muscles twitching this is what happened to me and I used to take tegretol but after taking it for yrs. I broke out with a rash. I will tell you to stay away from grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on tegretol because the enyzmes in the fruit will mess up the tegretol. Also take note if you get sick with a cold or virus you might have more seizures because over the counter meds will slow down the drugs going through your blood and it can trigger seizures. You might want to look into taking phenobarbital, mysoline, or keppra for your seizures. Another drug that has worked great for me is diamox. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Tiger_lilly07 09-12-2009 11:18 AM

Welcome to the forum!! You have come to the right place!! Here you find out the things your feeling or going through are like many of us here. There's such wonderful support here as you have come to find out. :-) Sue and Darlene are such wonderful people here and gave you some awesome advice!! I have had Epilepsy for over 20 years now. I have been on tegretol and the highest dosage I took was 2400. I have had three brain surgeries and I'm just taking my life one day at a time. Just remember that everyone's body reacts differently to meds and to let your doctor know what your going through. Pay attention to your body and eventually you'll start to figure out what makes you have seizures and what doesn't. As you know it's difficult and you'll get frustrated but that's another reason to come here!! There's always someone who will try to help you as much as they can!! You'd be surprised how many of us have either been there or have felt the same you have at one point. Come back and visit us soon!
God Bless!!

tos8 09-21-2009 12:34 PM

I had one of my "big" siezures yesterday in church! I hate having them out in public! I had been siezure free for 3 weeks after upping to 800mg of tegretol a day, thats the longest I have ever been with out a seizure these past 4 months. I went into my normal staring seizure that led into me tightning up and jerking hard. When I go into those it is VERY difficult for me to get out of. I knew it was gonna happen and there was nothin I could do about it and nobody was able to start helpin me until I started jerking because they didnt relise I was having one. I hate not being able to move or talk and its just pich black. It is like you are stuck in your brain. We are gonna see if my dr will put me on another med along with the tegretol because its obvisly not holding me over. These things are so frustrating and embaressing when your out in public!

lor 09-21-2009 05:15 PM

Hi tos8, They gave you some good information. You're going to like it here and I'm glad to see you. WELCOME

Lorraine

Porkette 09-21-2009 06:35 PM

Hi tos8,
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad sz. in church yesterday. If I may ask when you were having the sz. and jerking around were you aware of what was going on, another words were you conscious? The reason why I'm asking you this is because if you were conscious and realized what was going on you might have been having a clonic sz. and not a complex partial sz. This is what has happened to me after yrs. of absence, and complex partial sz. now I have clonic sz. where I will fall to the floor and only be unconscious long enough to hit the floor and then I'm conscious and just like you I'm jerking around and I can't speak. Since I started taking keppra this past August I have found that the clonic sz. and complex partial sz. have stopped I only have absence sz. now. You might want to speak with your neuro. and look into taking keppra I know it's done wonders for me. Also tell your neuro to order a drug level blood test for you because many times when my drug level was to high while taking tegretol it would trigger sz. for me. Be sure to stay away from grapefruit while taking this drug the enzymes in the fruit will mess up the tegretol and can cause sz. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-21-2009 10:19 PM

I kept going in and out. One minute I could hear what was goin on and then I was back out again. When I started with the staring one, its like I fell "asleep", I knew I was going to have it (my left hand started to spasm), but that all was black and I couldnt hear, it wasnt until I started jerking that I could start hearing again and then I could hear the person talkin to me for a moment and I would even try and tell myself to move or say somthn and I couldnt and then I was back out again, and then again I heard some one say "She has seizures all the time, dont panic" And I heard a couple of times them yelling my name and the person grabbing ahold of me and holding me, i remember feeling so comfortable and safe then. And I then again just kept telling myself to try and move or talk, open my eyes or for it to stop and I couldnt. And it was like even the times I couldnt hear them I could still think to myself. Does that make sense? Alot of parts I dont remember and then theres parts I remember very vividly. I just had a tegretol level a couple weeks ago and its at a perfect level. I do know when I hear everyone, if they panic then I panic and there were alot of people in there and alot of people that were freaked and panicked. But those voices were very distant hearing to me. The person that was holding me talking to me, she was loud but it was slower for me, like her talking was very drawn out. Does any of this make sense at all? Its very hard for me to explain, but I want to explain it to some one that understands. I am defently going to ask about the keppra! Thank you so much! Its great to talk with people that understand this! Also, when I have seizures they dont stop, the only way I can get out of it is if well my mother is there and irritates me and talks to me and I dont know what all she does, but like yesterday the other people that were tryin to help me, they couldnt get me out of it, and these seizures last for about 10 min and longer and the longest has been 30 min and thats when the ambulance had to be called. The only way I seem to get out of it is when my mother is there and works with me, its like I only recignize sp? her voice and its only ever been her that ive been able to stop, but even her the longer I stay in one the worst it is for her to try and get me out of it. I dont just stop on my own and nobody else can help me get out of it. Have any of you had a problem with that? Now thats only when I go into the jerking ones after ive already been into staring type. But thats my problem, nobody relises im having that type until they go to talk to me and then usally by then its to late. Sorry I have so many quistiones, Im just still trying to learn what my body is doing and going threw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 569110)
Hi tos8,
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad sz. in church yesterday. If I may ask when you were having the sz. and jerking around were you aware of what was going on, another words were you conscious? The reason why I'm asking you this is because if you were conscious and realized what was going on you might have been having a clonic sz. and not a complex partial sz. This is what has happened to me after yrs. of absence, and complex partial sz. now I have clonic sz. where I will fall to the floor and only be unconscious long enough to hit the floor and then I'm conscious and just like you I'm jerking around and I can't speak. Since I started taking keppra this past August I have found that the clonic sz. and complex partial sz. have stopped I only have absence sz. now. You might want to speak with your neuro. and look into taking keppra I know it's done wonders for me. Also tell your neuro to order a drug level blood test for you because many times when my drug level was to high while taking tegretol it would trigger sz. for me. Be sure to stay away from grapefruit while taking this drug the enzymes in the fruit will mess up the tegretol and can cause sz. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Porkette 09-22-2009 04:38 PM

Hi tos8,
Your sz. sound very similar to mine. I'm no neuro but what you are describing sounds a lot like my clonic sz. when you're in and out of it and can't do a thing what concerns me is when they last over 10 min. this is known as a status sz. and can cause more brain damage. I started to have absence status sz. a few yrs. ago when I was put on the drug neurontin for headaches from a concussion I got when I was in an auto accident. After I went off the neurontin the status sz. stopped completely. What I find interesting is how your mom can bring you out of these sz. with her voice, this may happen do to the sound of her voice. Some people with epilepsy have audio and visual sz. and that's when certain sound or lights can trigger sz. but in your case it's stopping the sz. be sure to mention this to your neuro and I would also look into taking keppra to see if it helps you.

I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-22-2009 10:21 PM

I am going to see my neuro tomorrow, so hopefully he can help me. The sz. are taken a toll on me, my speech now will slurr and its drawn out, like I have a hard time thinkin what I want to say and ill be in the middle of a word and ill get stuck half way in the word or I get my words mixed up. My neuro did tell us he wanted us to call 911 if ive been in one longer the 5 min, but my goodness we would be callin 911 all the time then! So we said thats impossible to do. My sz. started back in may and we are thinkin even befor that when I started takin tramadol for pain. So they stopped me from takin it, but my sz. never stopped. Yes we have notices certain noises will send me into a sz. we picked that up after like the 4th time of me being in one of the settings. Other then that I dont know what triggers them, They just happen and theres not a thing I can do about it. This is my second time have one at church! The first time being in service and then this last time being in sunday school, very very embaressing! The people in there are only from 18-30 so it scared them to death! 4 people saw me havin it, but they were so stunned and have never seen a sz. they didnt say anything! So the 2 people in front of me that I have explained to them what to do for me incase I would ever have one in there couldnt even help me right away because nobody said anything, and they didnt no until finally some one told them and by then it was because I was about to fall out of the chair. Nice huh? But im very silent when I have them, so like I said inless your talking to me or looking at me you would not know im having one. My staring ones, they even have trouble because I "look" at them, but im not really looking at them and the one time my brother was with me when it happend and he said I was repetitive, I kept saying "no", But I was not aware of it. Im not aware at all when I have those sz. Im sorry, its all just crazy tryin to figure out what my brain is doin and goin threw all of this. Thank you so much for talkin with me! Its really helpin me understand some of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 569479)
Hi tos8,
Your sz. sound very similar to mine. I'm no neuro but what you are describing sounds a lot like my clonic sz. when you're in and out of it and can't do a thing what concerns me is when they last over 10 min. this is known as a status sz. and can cause more brain damage. I started to have absence status sz. a few yrs. ago when I was put on the drug neurontin for headaches from a concussion I got when I was in an auto accident. After I went off the neurontin the status sz. stopped completely. What I find interesting is how your mom can bring you out of these sz. with her voice, this may happen do to the sound of her voice. Some people with epilepsy have audio and visual sz. and that's when certain sound or lights can trigger sz. but in your case it's stopping the sz. be sure to mention this to your neuro and I would also look into taking keppra to see if it helps you.

I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-23-2009 03:56 PM

I am being upped to 1200 mg of tegretol a day. He said he expects me to still be having seizures. He said we still havent ment my maximum level of tegretol yet and when I do and if I would still be having seizures then he will put me on a second med. Also we agreed if my sz. would last more then 15 min thats when we should call 911.

Porkette 09-23-2009 05:10 PM

Hi tos8,
Everyone has their own opinion but I don't like what this neuro is doing from 37 yrs. of sz. and 2 brain surgeries I know that if I were in your place I would see a different neuro or better yet an Epileptologist (epi) Dr. specializing in epilepsy. If this neuro thinks that one AED will control your sz. they are wrong especially with the types of sz. you have been having. It also shows me that the neuro isn't doing his/her job by just agreeing to call an ambulance if the sz. last over a certain amount of time. The neuro should be trying to stop these sz. with new AED's for you. Check your private messages for more info. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Porkette 09-26-2009 02:46 PM

Hi tos8,
I got you message and I think you are playing it smart keeping a record of everything. Take note if the sz. happens when you are under more stress,tired,sick, if there's bright light or loud sounds, or a low pressure in the weather these are all things that can cause sz. for many people also another thing that can trigger sz. is to much caffeine, and to much starch food and carbohydrates in a persons diet. Also if theres any heart problems or if a person using a cell phone it can trigger sz. also.
If you want to get a lot of info. check out the web page I mentioned and another one where you can learn a lot is brainmind.com

Here's wishing You well and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-26-2009 05:54 PM

Well I made it up to 1000mg of tegretol and I cannot handle that dose, it makes my vision go crazy and I feel icky with it. That is way to much medican for a person to take. I dont know how people go higher then that. We are calling my dr and he instead of him keep uppin my tegretol he needs to put me on another med with it.

Porkette 09-27-2009 09:35 AM

Hi tos8,

It sounds like your tegretol level has become toxic call your neuro IMMEDATELY and get a drug level blood test done along with a CBC (complete Blood count) If you're having double vision, having a hard time walking,or even standing get to the hospital emergency room right now! The drug level is to high and it's poisoning your system this happened to me a few yrs. ago and I was down and in bed for 4 days thanks to my former neuro who kept pushing the tegretol level higher and higher. You take it easy and let me know how you make out. Wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 09-29-2009 01:07 PM

Well I had called my nuero yesterday and he wanted me to try and hold out until thursday, was hoping it was just side affects. And yesterday was TERRIBLE! It made me so sick! I could hardley move because I felt so drugged and my vision was crazy and I slept for most of the day. And today I have no side affects at all. Nothing. No blurred vision no nothing. So we will see how tonight gos! I also had a huge gap into taking my meds last night from yesterdays morning dose, It was like a 17-18 hr gap. So I dont if thats playin a part in it. But ill no tonight because i wont wait 17hr in between to take my next dose like I did last night. I go and get blood work on thursday.

Porkette 09-29-2009 04:42 PM

Hi tos8,
I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you are going to get some blood tests done. You might want to call your pharmacist and tell them exactly how you felt I've found they know much more than many Drs. I've seen over the yrs. You take it easy and don't let the Dr. push you into taking to much meds. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Darlene 10-01-2009 02:38 AM

Nice to hear you are feeling better. If I may ask, did these effects happens just after a small time of taking your meds.

Why I ask is because at one time I was on tegretol and I had just about all the side affects you said. It only occur in my morning dosage, but as I took my night dosage I was going to bed. My neuro took me right off because of the effects it gave me.

I am happy to hear you are getting blood levels, hopefully your neuro see what is going on.

Thoughts and prayers.

tos8 10-01-2009 09:42 PM

Yeah after about 20 min of taken my meds I immedetly had those affects. I waited 3 days befor telling my neuro and then I let him no and he told me to try and hold off a few more days hoping it was just side affects and it was. He wanted me upped to 1200 mg but goin up to 1000 was enough for me to adjust to! I dont know if I would handle it to well to keep increasing it since this time just to get up to the 1000 mg dose was hard enough. The reason you have to watch with these side affects is because it can be a sign that your toxic on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene (Post 573032)
Nice to hear you are feeling better. If I may ask, did these effects happens just after a small time of taking your meds.

Why I ask is because at one time I was on tegretol and I had just about all the side affects you said. It only occur in my morning dosage, but as I took my night dosage I was going to bed. My neuro took me right off because of the effects it gave me.

I am happy to hear you are getting blood levels, hopefully your neuro see what is going on.

Thoughts and prayers.

Porkette 10-05-2009 06:14 PM

Hi tos8,

How have you been doing? When you see/speak to your neuro again you might want to tell them to do a DNA blood test on you so they can find out what AED's (sz. meds) will help you the most with the least side affects. Take my word a lot of Drs. have told me they know nothing about DNA blood tests but that's only because they want to make some extra money putting you on as many AED's as they can. Don't let the Dr. fool you they all know about DNA blood tests and my advice to you is to get one done to find what AED's will help you the most. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 10-05-2009 11:01 PM

Hi sue, Back to having those side affects again, not as bad as befor, but its still yucky. Im still waiting for my blood work results, hopefully in the next couple of days I will know. 2 times now in the past couple of days I can tell a sz. was about to start and we tried valium befor it did and that seems to work. Whats a DNA blood test? I will defently mention that to my dr when I see him in a couple weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 574727)
Hi tos8,

How have you been doing? When you see/speak to your neuro again you might want to tell them to do a DNA blood test on you so they can find out what AED's (sz. meds) will help you the most with the least side affects. Take my word a lot of Drs. have told me they know nothing about DNA blood tests but that's only because they want to make some extra money putting you on as many AED's as they can. Don't let the Dr. fool you they all know about DNA blood tests and my advice to you is to get one done to find what AED's will help you the most. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Porkette 10-06-2009 06:16 PM

Hi tos8,

DNA is what shows in our blood molecules of our genetics and other structures of our body it's hard to explain go to the medical dictionary and it will give a better explanation. The main thing that helps by having a DNA blood test done is it can match up our body chemistry to the right AED's (sz meds) to take with the least side affects. By doing this you don't have to keep trying different AED's to work to control your sz.
I'm happy to hear that the valium is working for you,take note if your sz. happen when there's a low pressure in the weather, your sick, or if your hormones are changing, also take note if you're under more stress and are more tired before the sz. these are all things that can trigger sz. for people. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 10-10-2009 02:08 PM

Whew these sz. are ruff! They are very hard on my upper body! I had a sz. last night, i was in the basement heading to my room to go to bed and as soon as i got down the stairs i knew right away i was going to have one so i sat down on the chair and it started out as a staring one that im aware, but i can never talk or move, and then next thing im on the floor, and thats when i could hear every thing and i was so hoping for some one to come, it wouldnt stop, i couldnt get it to stop. Finally my brother saw me when he looked down the steps, apprently i had been there a long time, my breathing was very heavy and fast and its never that way, im usally very silent. it was 1:30 am and i defently had went down there alot earlier then 1:30, time must have flown by faster then i thought when laying there. My neuro is out of town, so we havent been able to get ahold of him. I dont know what else i can do.

Porkette 10-10-2009 04:08 PM

Hi tos8,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had another sz. if this sz. lasted longer than 15 min. you had a status sz. which is very dangerous and can lead to more brain damage. If this ever happens again where you sz. lasts longer than 15 min. you need to go to the hospital ER and the Dr. will give you an I V of med to stop the sz. I'm wondering is your heart okay? You should see the neuro. whose on call for your neuro and get some tests done. My advice is to have a veeg along with an MRI by doing this he Dr. can see what's going on and what's triggering these sz. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

tos8 10-10-2009 05:19 PM

No one was there to call 911. My mother was about to call 911 and then i stopped. It was defently well over 15 min. It was probley more 30+ min. Im not always going to have some one around me, like last night. What do you all do when your alone? and even when your around people how do you make them aware of it? Because mine makes it so i cant move or talk, my neuro said thats just the areas that get affected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 576695)
Hi tos8,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had another sz. if this sz. lasted longer than 15 min. you had a status sz. which is very dangerous and can lead to more brain damage. If this ever happens again where you sz. lasts longer than 15 min. you need to go to the hospital ER and the Dr. will give you an I V of med to stop the sz. I'm wondering is your heart okay? You should see the neuro. whose on call for your neuro and get some tests done. My advice is to have a veeg along with an MRI by doing this he Dr. can see what's going on and what's triggering these sz. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

love2laugh 10-10-2009 07:04 PM

TOS---

When to call 911 varies from person to person and the TYPE of seizure the person is having.

You also have to factor in if the person is hurt, pregnant, has another seizure shortly after, etc.

IF in doubt, always err on the safe side and call 911 or go to the ER.

Having said that, over time you will learn what is "normal" for you in terms of length of seizures, severity, etc. It is not uncommon for my simple partial and complex partial seizures to last much longer than 15 minutes. However, in my case, this is not an emergency. But for some people, it definitely is.

Also, there are some medications you can take at home to help stop cluster or status seizures. They are known as Rescue or Emergency medications. I use Ativan as my rescue medication if start to have severe clusters, if my seizures last longer than normal, if have several without much of a break between them, or if they are in any way not my usual. Each doctor will have their own protocols, but its definitely something to ask your doctor about. Common rescue meds are Ativan, Diastat and Klonopin.

The most important thing is to communicate with your neurologist. Make sure he/she knows how long your seizures are lasting. Ask what his/her protocol is about ER's, if you can have a Rescue med, what things you need to watch out for, etc.

Hang in there !

L2L

tos8 10-10-2009 11:55 PM

I am supposed to go to the ER if they last longer then 15 min and my breathing would get labored. Most of mine last between 5-15 min and my breathing is ok. What worried my mother last night was my breathing was very heavy and fast, so she knew it turned into a status. There estimating i was down there for about an hour. We are goin to tell my neuro i need an emergency med and another med along with my tegretol because obvisly its not controling them on its own. Last night she gave me liquid valium and thats what got me to stop after about 10 min. I just hate not being able to get help when i know they are coming on! And i dont know what else to change that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2laugh (Post 576754)
TOS---

When to call 911 varies from person to person and the TYPE of seizure the person is having.

You also have to factor in if the person is hurt, pregnant, has another seizure shortly after, etc.

IF in doubt, always err on the safe side and call 911 or go to the ER.

Having said that, over time you will learn what is "normal" for you in terms of length of seizures, severity, etc. It is not uncommon for my simple partial and complex partial seizures to last much longer than 15 minutes. However, in my case, this is not an emergency. But for some people, it definitely is.

Also, there are some medications you can take at home to help stop cluster or status seizures. They are known as Rescue or Emergency medications. I use Ativan as my rescue medication if start to have severe clusters, if my seizures last longer than normal, if have several without much of a break between them, or if they are in any way not my usual. Each doctor will have their own protocols, but its definitely something to ask your doctor about. Common rescue meds are Ativan, Diastat and Klonopin.

The most important thing is to communicate with your neurologist. Make sure he/she knows how long your seizures are lasting. Ask what his/her protocol is about ER's, if you can have a Rescue med, what things you need to watch out for, etc.

Hang in there !

L2L

tos8 10-21-2009 02:16 PM

I saw my neuro dr today. He does not want me on a second med. He is taken me off tegretol and putting me on depikote. I told him my body has been having twitches and he is thinking its another type of seizure i must be havin. Im a bit frustrated. And again he said dont be suprised if i have a sz. during the med change, But i have them without med changes so whats it matter!!! And in a years time he wants to take me off my meds and see how i do. This is just getting irritating.

kcurf 10-22-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tos8 (Post 580893)
I saw my neuro dr today. He does not want me on a second med. He is taken me off tegretol and putting me on depikote. I told him my body has been having twitches and he is thinking its another type of seizure i must be havin. Im a bit frustrated. And again he said dont be suprised if i have a sz. during the med change, But i have them without med changes so whats it matter!!! And in a years time he wants to take me off my meds and see how i do. This is just getting irritating.

no offense or anything....I think it is time to switch to a different dr. I had to go through 3 before I found one that would take me seriously because I don't have daily grand mal's. My sz started once a week, every single one has been on a friday, why... I don 't know, and was told I will probably never know. My mother and husband are sure that I am having some other kinds of sz's and have been insisting this for years....my dr is just now starting to look into these weird episodes that I have around loud noise. Even the nuero I have now only really cares about the grand mals...but at least he will treat them.

RhiannonsMoon 10-26-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tos8 (Post 564279)
The thing I hate the most is I have had a couple of them out in public and I get very embaressed by that. Anyone else deal with complex partial seizures?

Hi Tos8,

Many of us have the same problems. But that quoted post above hit me the most.

I allowed it to get to me so much that I became agoraphobic. I've hardly left the house for over 3 years now. Only on very specific times will I go out. And that has had flow on effects to every other area of my life.

I'm trying to get over it, but to be honest I'm not getting anywhere. I think that if I go out to the gp every few months (which petrifies me), then I should be left alone. I did manage with a huge amt of medication, move from one state to another over 2000 miles away. I don't remember much of the trip now because the only way I could travel was unconscious.

PLEASE don't et your life get like mine. I have the best carer anyone could ask for, but his life is very liited because of mine. I hate that.

This is something you don't need to start happening. Please talk to the people over at PsychCentral, they're a great bunch and very supportive. You can ask one of the pdocs for some assistance with it now, before it becomes the issue that stops your life from moving past the front deck like mine,

Good luck with it and please keep us posted :hug:,

Rhiannon

tos8 11-06-2009 12:04 AM

I had been sz. free for 3 weeks! I was decreasing my tegretol to go off and went onto my depakote 1000mg a day and then this week i completly stopped the tegretol and just on depakote and tonight i had a big sz. and we think a couple small ones today because of repetitive talking, which that would obvisly be the complex partial sz. so emailed neuro tonight and going up to 1250mg of depakote and if that doesnt work then im goin back on the tegretol. I dont understand why he wont keep me on both, because for the last 3 weeks i have been on both and havent had a sz. at all. Looked into other neuro drs around here and they are even worse. So i just tryin to hold out for now.

tos8 11-06-2009 12:14 AM

I know its terrible! I dont go out much anyways, but i dont want to have to worry when i go out if i could have one. Church has been the biggest thing because ive had 2 there and one in my sunday school class and it scared them to death! And now when i go, you can tell they try not to look but they do. I dont like when everyone always ask me if im gonna have a sz. because may not feel the best that day or when im sitting down out to eat with my family and they always look over at me and ask of im ok. That all just really bothers
me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhiannonsMoon (Post 582953)
Hi Tos8,

Many of us have the same problems. But that quoted post above hit me the most.

I allowed it to get to me so much that I became agoraphobic. I've hardly left the house for over 3 years now. Only on very specific times will I go out. And that has had flow on effects to every other area of my life.

I'm trying to get over it, but to be honest I'm not getting anywhere. I think that if I go out to the gp every few months (which petrifies me), then I should be left alone. I did manage with a huge amt of medication, move from one state to another over 2000 miles away. I don't remember much of the trip now because the only way I could travel was unconscious.

PLEASE don't et your life get like mine. I have the best carer anyone could ask for, but his life is very liited because of mine. I hate that.

This is something you don't need to start happening. Please talk to the people over at PsychCentral, they're a great bunch and very supportive. You can ask one of the pdocs for some assistance with it now, before it becomes the issue that stops your life from moving past the front deck like mine,

Good luck with it and please keep us posted :hug:,

Rhiannon

RhiannonsMoon 11-06-2009 07:31 PM

I find that if my family ask if I'm ok then I am exhibiting symptoms which tell them I am not ok. So even though at times I react with exhasperation I do know that something they've seen in me is telling them I'm either having a complex partial or I'm going to have a cp or myo and very rarely a grand mal (tonic clonic). They are just concerned about you and want to make sure you are ok. We have the potential to hurt ourselves no matter what type of sz we have, so it's good to know we have angels on our shoulder so to speak...They love you, that's worth everything...

tos8 11-06-2009 08:54 PM

When i saw my dr a couple weeks ago i was also dignosed with myoclonic sp? Sz. along with the complex partial and if it gets to bad then it will turn into a tonic clonic, like yesterday, i guess because i had the 2 small ones that we were aware of by last night i was just pushed over the edge. I will have to start paying attention if they say somthing if my behavior is diffrent. But like tomorrow night i am supposed to go out and my family is hesitent of letting me go because there scared im going to have one while there not around and i even am worried because my friends are not going to know what they look or what to look for or even what i look like. So these type of situations i dont know how to handle and i may not just go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhiannonsMoon (Post 586958)
I find that if my family ask if I'm ok then I am exhibiting symptoms which tell them I am not ok. So even though at times I react with exhasperation I do know that something they've seen in me is telling them I'm either having a complex partial or I'm going to have a cp or myo and very rarely a grand mal (tonic clonic). They are just concerned about you and want to make sure you are ok. We have the potential to hurt ourselves no matter what type of sz we have, so it's good to know we have angels on our shoulder so to speak...They love you, that's worth everything...

tos8 11-08-2009 06:36 PM

Ok i had 3 seizures on thursday, 2 small complex partials and 1 big one and that took a toll on me, then friday night i had a big one when i was asleep and i woke up and i was so sick! I knew i had one because of the sympthomes that presented, i woke up so sick to my stomich and that horrible heavy feeling with my body heat pouring off of me yet i was so cold, i was in a great amount of pain and i felt so panicked because i had such a hard time calming my body down. It was terrible! I know for a fact i now need to be on 2 meds. The depakote stopped the myoclonic sz. but when he stopped my tegretol i went back to having the complex partials. These things are TERRIBLE! And i did go out last night after sleeping all day and then went to church this morning and i think i pushed my body to hard after all of this has
happend. I am sooooo tired, my body feels physically done. How do you all try to recover after your sz.?

RhiannonsMoon 11-10-2009 04:16 PM

Sleep Tos8...I sleep and sleep and rest and I try never to miss my meds.

If you're not happy with your GP ask to be sent to a physician, or a neuro. A physician has access to neuros and with one phone call can relay your symptoms and get advice on how to medicate you properly.

Make sure you are not taking any over the counter meds because they will interfere, as will antibiotics etc (feel like I've said this before but I don't remember where).

It's always harder at the beginning because you are facing an unknown enemy. Once you get into a "relationship" with your symptoms you will find that only the unusual symptoms (new ones) will throw you. Then you can come here and ask for support with that, as I did with the new cp seizures I'm having. But I'm used to them now so they only drive me nuts, they don't scare me any more.

You're not alone Tos8, take things one step at a time, and work on what you can each day. By overly stressing about it you can bring on more sz's, and that is something you just don't want or need.

Get yourself a little booklet like "living with epilepsy" carry it with you, read it get to understand it all. And educate your friends about it. You don't have to put them through a workshop, but you can say "Hey I have epilespy now and I have cp & other types of sz's". Explain each type you have so that they know what to do to help you to stay safe and ok. It's all about education, for ourselves and those around us. When people know and understand they are much less afraid of something, and can react with confidence instead of fear,

Keep us psoted on what your Dr does...you could insist on more than one med, but with some Dr's thats no use, so you may need an advocate or another Dr,

((((hugs))))
Rhiannon

tos8 11-10-2009 10:53 PM

Talked to my neurl today and he put me on both depakote and tegretol. He said if i still keep having them then hes gonna try me on lamictal sp?. I am still trying to figure out whats my normal and what isnt. The 2 main ones i notice are the one where i stare and im not aware of those and then the ones i can hear but cant see and hard jerking. The one where i was repetitive in saying a sentance i have never done. These things are just weird! I have had up to 4-5 sz. a week, but i have never had that many in less then 24hrs. and that took a huge toll on me. I already deal with alot of chronic pain from thoracic outlet syndrome and i guess between the both of them they just wipe me out.