NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   To Do / Not To Do LIST (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/43220-list.html)

Friend2U 04-09-2008 07:37 PM

To Do / Not To Do LIST

Something I learned in my "Pre-MS Life" ;) is for everytime you add something to your TO DO list... also put something on your NOT TO DO list. I guess logically this is to keep things balanced out. :Trapeze 2: Well, being the over-achiever that I was... I can say this is really hard to do. Can anyone identify with me??? :wink:

Well... in an effort to get back the postitive attitude side of my character, I'm going to give it a try with the new "Post-MS" me. :p As many of you know, we had a lot of things planned to get done in our lives... and now have had the rug jerked out from under us. So my list is topsy turvey and it seems the NOT TO DO side is a whole lot longer.... let's try to do something about this! Okay? :hug:

So, now, for everything that MS has caused to be put on my Not To Do List... by golly :cool:.... I am going to add something to my TO DO side!!!

Anyone want to give it a try??? I'll go first.......... follow me!!!!!
:OuttaHere:

NOT TO DO: Finish my doctrine to teach at the college level.
TO DO: Spend more time smelling the roses... take up my love of drawing!

Don't be shy!!!! :Scratch-Head: Think hard!!!

Come On..... :Wave-Hello:

Erin524 04-09-2008 08:01 PM

I swept the garage out today. That was probably on my Too-Lazy-To-Do list before the MS, for some reason today it was on the Dont-Do-It-Stupid-You're-Going-To-Regret-It-Tomorrow list.

My back is killing me right now, my right wrist is sore and my hands hurt, I'm sure it's going to be worse in the morning.

Friend2U 04-09-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 255239)
I swept the garage out today. That was probably on my Too-Lazy-To-Do list before the MS, for some reason today it was on the Dont-Do-It-Stupid-You're-Going-To-Regret-It-Tomorrow list.

My back is killing me right now, my right wrist is sore and my hands hurt, I'm sure it's going to be worse in the morning.

Erin,
How true...how true! Awe, the things we used to take for granted. But don't be too hard on yourself. :o If you are like me, probably in the past when you blamed not doing things on "laziness", it was most likely the ms, and you just didn't know it. If you think back a long time ago, and if you were a very active person, liking to keep things clean and neat and tidy.... (like I was) as time went by your body may have been tiring out on you and you just didn't know. I used to think "Why am I getting so lazy?" But now I see it so clearly, I didn't become lazy... it was the ms setting in.

But, I took so many things for granted. What we wouldn't give to have just a day to fly in and get that house or garage cleaned top to bottom all in a day's work?! I hope you are not too worn out tomorrow. Get some rest tonight! :hug:

weegot5kiz 04-09-2008 08:25 PM

my to do list is on the back burner for now , going through relapse,:thud:

and I messed up this past saturday, doing anything let alone doing all I did and over did it now its come back to annoy me even more:Poke:

never tried this not to do mainly because there is always so much To Do.

but as far and ying and yang I understand the concept and balance of those two forces:Trapeze 2:

I have however gotten better at delegating authority, with the ever so helpful kids, didnt know they could find other things to do, I did find a way to get them out of the house ask them for help:OuttaHere:

even still I try to get something done each day, and yes it may seem like oh big deal you got nothing done,(to others) but as many of you klnow something simple can be a big deal on bad days

as long as I can find my keys in the freezer its ok:Ponder:

peace

karousel 04-09-2008 08:29 PM

Friend2U, I like this!

NOT TO DO: Do everything I can to make everyone else happy.
TO DO: Learn to say no and make time for myself. Relax and read a good book.

NOT TO DO: Continue to think about how I had to give up my career.
TO DO: Spend more time enjoying the outdoors with my family.

Friend2U 04-09-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 255255)
my to do list is on the back burner for now , going through relapse,:thud:

and I messed up this past saturday, doing anything let alone doing all I did and over did it now its come back to annoy me even more:Poke:

never tried this not to do mainly because there is always so much To Do.

but as far and ying and yang I understand the concept and balance of those two forces:Trapeze 2:

I have however gotten better at delegating authority, with the ever so helpful kids, didnt know they could find other things to do, I did find a way to get them out of the house ask them for help:OuttaHere:

even still I try to get something done each day, and yes it may seem like oh big deal you got nothing done,(to others) but as many of you klnow something simple can be a big deal on bad days

as long as I can find my keys in the freezer its ok:Ponder:

peace

Hi Wee,
Sounds like when you can manage to spend a little quiet time in the house, that is very worthy of adding that to your "To Do" list. I know we have to do some things everyday. I'm just trying to shorten that list.

Tomorrow is a new day. NEW DAY, NEW LIST. I'll say a prayer for you and lets try this together... okay! :hug: I'm am NO expert in this... just trying:wink: So when we wake up in the morning... we will say - "New Day, New List." What can you put on your to do list that is more reasonable than all you did Saturday? What can you put on your not to do list?

Let me know how you are doing! :)

Friend2U 04-09-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karousel (Post 255260)
Friend2U, I like this!

NOT TO DO: Do everything I can to make everyone else happy.
TO DO: Learn to say no and make time for myself. Relax and read a good book.

NOT TO DO: Continue to think about how I had to give up my career.
TO DO: Spend more time enjoying the outdoors with my family.

OH MY GOSH....DID I WRITE THIS????:eek:

.....DITTO!!!!....... :wink: Now, for tomorrow, can you be specific???? It sounds good in theory! ha! :winky: Can you make a plan for One Healthy To Do and One Healthy Not To Do???

I'm really talking as much to myself, honestly. Let me see... my tomorrow's list:

TO DO: Lie down and relax for 45 minutes right when I get home, and put some thought into what I will do around the house. Be more selective.
NOT TO DO: Leave for work at 6:00 to get an extra 90 minutes put in off the clock. Instead I will wait and leave at 7:00, which will get me there only 30 minutes early...much more reasonable)

You are a brave person to have given up your career. It is a hard thing to do. Let me know how tomorrow goes for you.

Take Care,
A Friend :hug:

karousel 04-09-2008 09:00 PM

Okay my plan for tomorrow:

TO DO: Enjoy the time with my daughter and her class at the museum since I am going as a chaperone.

NOT TO DO: Let it bother me that I cannot get the house work done because I need to rest.

How's that for being more specific? I can do specific if I really concentrate. :D

Friend2U 04-09-2008 09:05 PM

Kar,

Quote:

Originally Posted by karousel (Post 255283)
Okay my plan for tomorrow:

TO DO: Enjoy the time with my daughter and her class at the museum since I am going as a chaperone.

NOT TO DO: Let it bother me that I cannot get the house work done because I need to rest.

How's that for being more specific? I can do specific if I really concentrate. :D

Good thinking! :D GOOD FOR YOU! :wink:Now... tomorrow, WHEN, not if, you accomplish both of your lists... let's say "It was a really good day for me!" I am proud of you! :hug:

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow! Both at the museum and resting at home!:)

Erin524 04-09-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friend2U (Post 255252)
Erin,
How true...how true! Awe, the things we used to take for granted. But don't be too hard on yourself. :o If you are like me, probably in the past when you blamed not doing things on "laziness", it was most likely the ms, and you just didn't know it. If you think back a long time ago, and if you were a very active person, liking to keep things clean and neat and tidy.... (like I was) as time went by your body may have been tiring out on you and you just didn't know. I used to think "Why am I getting so lazy?" But now I see it so clearly, I didn't become lazy... it was the ms setting in.

But, I took so many things for granted. What we wouldn't give to have just a day to fly in and get that house or garage cleaned top to bottom all in a day's work?! I hope you are not too worn out tomorrow. Get some rest tonight! :hug:

I was always lazy, I just now have a better excuse to be lazy. MS does occasionally have it's benefits. Homeowner's association wants MY help to clean the trash out of the landscaping that's in the circle (at the top of the hill, and I never go up there) yeah...right...my MS is acting up, cant help. Sorry! :cool:

MSacorn 04-09-2008 11:56 PM

Ok, I'm all for balance being a Libra. Here goes nothing.

NOT TO DO: continue working for my degree in civil engineering

TO DO: stop worrying because what will be will be

:hug:

Victor H 04-10-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSacorn (Post 255418)

Ditto, my fellow Libra. (Except for me, replace the Degree issue with working for a butthead client)

-Vic

FinLady 04-10-2008 08:41 AM

Lessons learned for me recently, the hard way, LOL.

To Do: things I enjoy like gardening or painting
Not to do: push too hard even with these. can accomplish much with little breaks.

To Do: enjoy each good day as a gift
Not to do: push so hard on the good day that the next is definitely a bad one.

suzyqz_2007 04-10-2008 10:10 AM

Not To Do - No more thinking about what I used to be able to do and feeling guilty because I can't do them anymore.

To Do - Remember to pace myself and to not take for granted the things I can still do. ( and offer anyone the chance to clean my house if they notice it's messy!)

tkrik 04-10-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzyqz_2007 (Post 255602)
Not To Do - No more thinking about what I used to be able to do and feeling guilty because I can't do them anymore.

To Do - Remember to pace myself and to not take for granted the things I can still do. ( and offer anyone the chance to clean my house if they notice it's messy!)

Ditto for me, except . . .

To Do - Find something else that gives me that same satisfaction of accomplishment. (I will also accept any offer from anyone who wants to assist with tackling Mt. St. Laundry on a weekly basis. LOL)

Friend2U 04-10-2008 07:30 PM

To FinLady:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinLady (Post 255540)
To Do: enjoy each good day as a gift

What sound advice! Isn't if funny how we have re-defined "good"? :wink: You take care of yourself! :hug:

Friend2U 04-10-2008 07:42 PM

Beth,

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSacorn (Post 255418)

In honor of your "to do":D It reminds me of my recently adopted, most used saying: "It is what is is!"

I am sorry you had to quit working for you degree. It's tough coming to the realization. I know how you feel.:(

Someone talked about finding something to do to replace what you had planned. I think that is possible. I just haven't found it yet. It's all still new to me. But given time, I know things will seem better.

I hope you had a worry-free day! :hug:

Friend2U 04-10-2008 08:00 PM

Suzy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzyqz_2007 (Post 255602)

I so agree. Since energy is no longer a surplus, I am finding that all of that dwelling on what used to be is just SO draining. :crazy: I can honestly say I AM READY TO MOVE FORWARD.... take the other fork in the road. I have been learning so much from all of the kind and smart folks here at NT. :grouphug: Let me know how you overcome the issue of pacing yourself. That is still hard for me. But I am working on it! :wink:

Thanks for your response. If you think of another one, please share again!

Friend2U 04-10-2008 08:08 PM

Your too funny...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 255670)
Ditto for me, except . . .

To Do - Find something else that gives me that same satisfaction of accomplishment. (I will also accept any offer from anyone who wants to assist with tackling Mt. St. Laundry on a weekly basis. LOL)

:Thats-Funneh: Mt. St. Laundry! LOL! I have a Mt. St. Dishes!!!

The funny (weird) thing for me today though was... I had promised to make myself lie down for 45 min when I got home this afternoon. So I did it. AND... this is the funny/weird part, my daughter actually washed my big Mt. St. Dishes pile without me even asking! Oh my, could it be that my people would actually help me do things if I give them the chance!?!?! What an eye opener! :shocked:

the Bird 04-10-2008 08:36 PM

I love moving forward threads. Thanks for starting this one!

One thing I have learned is to make really really short to do lists. That way IF I finish the one or two items on my list I feel EXCELLENT!!!! :D

To Do: Take apart my mosaic bird and clean off malfunctioning glue.

That is my entire to do list for the morrow!!!

Not to do: Any cleaning!!!! :D

Friend2U 04-10-2008 09:34 PM

Bird,

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Bird (Post 255941)
I love moving forward threads. Thanks for starting this one!

One thing I have learned is to make really really short to do lists. That way IF I finish the one or two items on my list I feel EXCELLENT!!!! :D

To Do: Take apart my mosaic bird and clean off malfunctioning glue.

That is my entire to do list for the morrow!!!

Not to do: Any cleaning!!!! :D

I like the "SHORT LIST" concept!!!! Good for You!!!:wink:

Is the mosaic bird part of some kind of hobby. Sounds interesting! :smile:

suzyqz_2007 04-10-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friend2U (Post 255904)
I so agree. Since energy is no longer a surplus, I am finding that all of that dwelling on what used to be is just SO draining. :crazy: I can honestly say I AM READY TO MOVE FORWARD.... take the other fork in the road. I have been learning so much from all of the kind and smart folks here at NT. :grouphug: Let me know how you overcome the issue of pacing yourself. That is still hard for me. But I am working on it! :wink:

Thanks for your response. If you think of another one, please share again!

:hug: Oh I still have a lot of trouble with remembering to pace myself, but luckily and thankfully I have a very understanding dh. He leaves for work about 6am and sometimes doesn't get home til 6pm...if I'm in bed and the house is not straightened or the dishes are still in the sink he doesn't mind. He puts my health above everything and is always stressing the fact that I don't over do it. I've adopted the motto....the world won't stop turning if I take a nap. (Oh and Thank God for Provigil!) :D

We (dh and I) have this little system...I do what I can during the week while he's at work, being sure that I save enough energy for the weekends. Saturday and Sunday we spend our days out and about...going places we've not been before, cameras in tow. I guess you could say I live for the weekends! (and I don't even have a job! lol)

A lot of my depression was because I would dwell on the used to be...kind of like mourning. I do still find myself in that pity party mood every so often, it's only natural. But I try my best to focus on the now and the future. Not trying to preach a sermon, but I think it is so important not only for our mental health but our physical health as well that we, like others have said, move forward...being trapped in the used to be's can be a very damaging place to be.

Be thankful.....for what used to be....for what is and for what is to come....

..........stepping off my soapbox now :wink:

:grouphug:

tkrik 04-11-2008 09:33 AM

Suzy - very well said! Thanks.

To Do: Remember Suzy's post when I freak out that things aren't getting done. LOL. I have 2 speeds - stop and go. I do need to add a few more speeds in between and accept those speeds for what they are.

Not to Do: Get overwhelmed and feel like everything needs to be done at once.

TheSleeper 04-11-2008 12:14 PM

Do? sleep, I need the practice.

Do not do? climb ladders, stools to change light bulbs! Got kids? use them! I fall down go boom.

karousel 04-11-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friend2U (Post 255288)
Good thinking! :D GOOD FOR YOU! :wink:Now... tomorrow, WHEN, not if, you accomplish both of your lists... let's say "It was a really good day for me!" I am proud of you! :hug:

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow! Both at the museum and resting at home!:)

Hey two days later...I accomplished both that day and relaxed so much I haven't had time to go online!! :D

karousel 04-11-2008 10:48 PM

For tomorrow:

TO DO: Have fun ripping out my kitchen floor!!!

NOT TO DO: Keep going until it's too much.

Friend2U 04-11-2008 11:26 PM

Kar,

Quote:

Originally Posted by karousel (Post 256676)
Hey two days later...I accomplished both that day and relaxed so much I haven't had time to go online!! :D

:trampoline::Head-Spin::winner_first_h4h::Dancing-Chilli::Dancing-Chilli::Dancing-Chilli::Grin-Nod:

HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!! SWEET SUCCESS! :icecream:

Keep up the good "NON-work"! :hug:

Friend2U 04-11-2008 11:31 PM

Kar,

Quote:

Originally Posted by karousel (Post 256677)
For tomorrow:

TO DO: Have fun ripping out my kitchen floor!!!

NOT TO DO: Keep going until it's too much.

:Dancing-Chilli: GO KARO! :Dancing-Chilli: GO KARO! :Dancing-Chilli:

:Bow: :You-Rock: :Bow:

karousel 04-12-2008 04:22 PM

Update: I let my husband and father do most of the work, I just puttered around looking like I was helping! But I had a blast ripping out what I did!!!

MooseasaurusRex 04-12-2008 07:18 PM

I'm trying to lean away from To Do lists...

I like my Tah Dah! lists much more.:D

That's when I manage to pull something off without all paperwork and planning.

karousel 04-12-2008 10:55 PM

Tah Dah lists sound like a whole lot more fun!!!!!

Friend2U 04-13-2008 02:18 AM

Nice Concept!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseasaurusRex (Post 257181)
I'm trying to lean away from To Do lists...

I like my Tah Dah! lists much more.:D

That's when I manage to pull something off without all paperwork and planning.

Moose,
I may be working up to the the "Tah Dah" list. For now, the best I can do is a Tah Dah Wanna Be! :wink: The "old me" lived for lists, planning, and organization!!!

I just can't give up everything ALL AT ONCE!!! :p

You've given me another goal! :hug: Thanks! You're the coolest! :cool:

Friend2U 04-30-2008 10:02 PM

Set a Goal for this Week!

To Do: Next time someone actually offers to do something nice for me, I will actually let them without any arguing.

Not to Do: Not to volunteer to take on an extra task at work for the rest of the week!

....baby step! :icon_smile: