NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   BakeWare Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/2467-bakeware-question.html)

RathyKay 10-02-2006 01:16 PM

BakeWare Question

Three weeks ago, I took Tom to a DAN! doctor. (DAN! is Defeat Autism Now! Tom is not technically autistic, but he has responded positively to the autistic diet - GFCF.) Last night, I was actually writing up a HUGE summary of it to post on Child Neuro and reference over here, then I got distracted by OBT coming to life.:o

A lot of what the doctor told me, I was already familiar with, thanks in large part to this board. He told me I needed to get rid of my teflon pans, which I knew... just hadn't actually done yet. Then, he said get rid of my aluminum! My aluminum bakeware is my "good stuff." He recommends cast iron, stainless steel, and if you have the money... Le Creuset.

Right now, as a compromise, I'm using cupcake liners in my muffin pans. I saw that Pampered Chef carries stoneware muffin pans (I think they were $33 each:eek:), and cookie sheets and loaf pans. I bought a pyrex loaf pan... haven't used it yet (it was $5... affordable). Another site carries stainless steel cookie sheets (forgot to check out loaf and muffin pans).

Before I go sinking a fortune in this, do any of you have experience baking with pyrex or stoneware or stainless steel? I'm interested in cupcakes/muffins, breads, cakes, and cookies. I'm pretty much covered for other types of cooking. Do you have a preference and why? I keep thinking if you bake with glass, you have to lower the temperature 25deg and bake longer. Is that true? What about stoneware and stainless? Any help is appreciated.

jamietwo 10-02-2006 02:02 PM

I've been shopping for stainless steel muffin pans and cookie sheets forever! I finally found some on-line, but the "really nice" muffin pan (tri-ply) costs $31.00!:eek: We don't do much with muffins at the moment, but I too am using liners when I do. It is so hard to find anything that is not coated or made with aluminum! Sorry I wasn't any help - just thought I'd commiserate!:D

RathyKay 10-02-2006 02:14 PM

Sounds like stoneware and stainless are about the same price. Ugh. Since Tom can't have rice, I've been baking all the bread he eats. The first sandwich bread recipe I found actually said to drop it in a muffin pan. He's not a big fan of cereal, so I've been making muffins for breakfast. So, I've actually used my muffin pans a lot lately. I'm still operating under the "small is better" principle for GF baking (not such a big deal if it doesn't rise, won't crumble or crack as badly, etc.)

I'm also kind of thinking of this as my Christmas present from my parents and in-laws. They're always wondering what to buy for me and appreciate it when I can tell them what I want. (And, I like getting something I like.) Just need to figure out which is the better way to go.

myst 10-02-2006 02:47 PM

I heard somewhere (food network maybe?) that pyrex/glass bakeware shouldn't be used for breads. When the bread rises, it needs to kind of stick to the sides, and pyrex is so smooth it doesn't offer the dough anything to climb on. (Same as with things like angel food cakes - anything that needs to rise a lot, and even when whipping egg whites or cream.) I don't know if that's true, but I've wondered if that's one of the reasons I have so much problem with bread loaves - I have only a pyrex loaf pan. Someday I'll get a stainless steel one or something and attempt an actual loaf of bread. I'm pretty happy with my sandwich buns, tho, thanks to Cara. :)

myst

orthomolecular 10-02-2006 03:10 PM

For muffins why not use those new silicone bakeware products? You can't use silicone stuff on the stove but you can get the inserts to use on the cookie sheets. They make bread pans out of silicone.

They mean less fat needed because they won't stick.

http://www.noveltybin.com/Product.asp?PID=40015

Scroll down for an article on silicone bakeware. But this site mentions other materials and what you need to look for when buying them.

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?category=Food

KimS 10-02-2006 03:47 PM

I don't have much to offer on this front either but for a couple of small things:

I've baked Cara's bread in a clear, glass bread dish and it came out perfectly every time.

Dark glass will give a dark 'crust' on the outside. Clear class will give a light 'crust'. I found this out every time I made a pie crust with a dark purple, clear, glass pie dish and another crust in a clear pie dish. I finally realized that it wasn't a 'placement in the oven' issue but a 'colour of the dish' issue.

We had a whole thread on silicone at obt. It was enough to convince Karina that she didn't want to use it... and enough to convince me that I still did want it for Christmas baking... but wouldn't settle for anything 'cheap' because it would start to break down at lower temps. I did end up getting a couple of flat grey silicone sheets that can be heated to 600 F before beginning to break down... so I figure my cookies are pretty safe every Friday. :)

I don't know what I'd use for our family birthday cakes... we all enjoy having angelfood cake and the only pans I've ever seen are aluminum.

I'd also like to know what people think about stone.

diamondheart 10-02-2006 06:29 PM

How about other non-stick cookware?

I know that aluminum is bad stuff to cook with, and I usually don't. I don't usually cook with Teflon either, but what about all the other non-stick cookware? How about anodized pans (not bakeware usually)? I don't bake much, but I usually use the non-stick stuff. It's not Teflon, but something else. Thoughts?

Claire

RathyKay 10-02-2006 11:34 PM

Thanks for the input. Kim, that's interesting about the dark vs light glass. I knew that about dark and light metal pans; didn't realize it applied to glass. Along with the bread not rising as high due to less cling on the sides, that's some of the info I'm interested in.

I do vaguely remember the silicone discussion. Wish I remembered it more (or is it that I paid more attention to it? I was happy with my bakeware back then.) My gut is silicone bakeware hasn't been around long enough for us to know. And, I don't know if Tom has problems with heavy metal and other toxin excretion. So, at this point of the game, I don't think it's a wise decision for me to bake with silicone.

As far as Teflon versus other non-stick... I guess I kind of lump it together. I checked my notes, and I didn't write it down. So, I'm not sure if he said no Teflon, or no non-stick. So, once again, I'm thinking none of the non-stick options are good for Tom. A "better safe than sorry" approach.

jamietwo 10-03-2006 08:51 AM

I too avoid silicone and any type of non-stick coating. Call me a skeptic!:p

Back in my bread-baking days, I used ceramic/glass bread pans with great results (maybe because of all the vital wheat gluten I added:eek:).

Good or bad, I don't know, but I have also used parchment paper (from my nfs) over old <unknown> metal cookie sheets.

myst 10-03-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimS (Post 18295)
I've baked Cara's bread in a clear, glass bread dish and it came out perfectly every time.

Guess my bread problem must be me. :o :p :)

myst

KimS 10-03-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamietwo (Post 18792)
I too avoid silicone and any type of non-stick coating. Call me a skeptic!:p

Back in my bread-baking days, I used ceramic/glass bread pans with great results (maybe because of all the vital wheat gluten I added:eek:).

Good or bad, I don't know, but I have also used parchment paper (from my nfs) over old <unknown> metal cookie sheets.

Parchment paper is covered with a light coat of silicone. That's why I switched over to silicone sheets... they don't break down as easily as the silicone on parchment paper (unless it's 'real' parchment paper made out of animal hide... but somehow I don't think that's what you'd be using Jamie. :) )

jamietwo 10-03-2006 01:47 PM

Oh my gosh, Kim! I just looked into this, and you are so right! Apparently I am using silicone via my parchment paper.:eek:

concerned lady 10-05-2006 11:11 AM

pyrex works with gum-free recipes for me

Hi all!

When I use a brown rice bread recipe with no gums in it, and when I oil the entire pyrex bread loaf baking pans, using olive oil or sesame oil (organic), my home made breads don't stick at all.

When I used Pamela's bread flour mixes (gluten-free), which do contain gums-- even with oiling the pyrex baking pans, there was major sticking of the bread loaves, to the pyrex loaf pans.

I haven't tried a rice-free recipe, so I don't know how this would work, regarding sticking, when being baked in a pyrex baking dish/loaf pan, etc.

I totally avoid all non-stick cookware, because of possible harmful health effects of silicone, teflon cookware, etc., (molecules of these can migrate into the food).

I totally avoid aluminum cookware, aluminum canteens, aluminum cups, because aluminum can and does migrate from the cookware into the food, and aluminum can cause brain damage, including Alzheimer's, etc.

Stainless steel cookie sheets work well, when oiled with olive oil or sesame oil(American made is said to be safer--less bad/heavy metals in American made stainless steel).

Since so many women had awful auto immune problems, from silicone breast implants migrating around, in their bodies, I am suspect, regarding silicone in foods.

In fact, my acupuncturist once told me that many acupuncture needles are coated in silicone (to make needles more slippery--to go into the skin more easily), and I've noticed a few scars, in several places that I had acupuncture needles placed!

Now, I am wondering if regular injection needles might also be coated in silicone, and what bad effect this might have on people.

Carol
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

MotherMoon 10-05-2006 02:37 PM

I would love more information on the silicone. That is what I use almost exclusively except for my pyrex. Can we get pyrex mini-muffin pans. I bake mini-muffins several times a month (sometimes a week.)

jamietwo 10-05-2006 03:41 PM

I wish pyrex would make muffin pans! I e-mailed them about it once (pyrex or corning - don't they have the same parent co?), and they said they didn't and had no plans to do so. Maybe if enough people contact them, they would consider it!:D

turner 10-05-2006 04:01 PM

I use pyrex for baking banana bread and it slides out perfect. As long as I leave it to cool first.:)
I thought that parchment paper was ok, now are those little muffin paper cup things made of parchment too!!!:eek:
I look at buying bake ware as an investment, its a one time thing to buy, your children should inherit them.:D Really when you think about it, I know my husband wouldn't think twice about a special tool he needed. Why do us women think we can do with less:rolleyes:
Just a thought, Patricia:)

turner 10-07-2006 09:31 PM

Ok, don't want to be the thread stopper:D
I was thinking about those muffin tins and then I thought about those little ramikin pots. I don't know what ramikin is:o But I do know that Wal-mart sells them in a few sizes, little tiny ones and then the regular size. I think pyrex puts them out. Maybe a person could buy a dozen of those to bake muffins in. I think there resonably priced. They would each get there own little muffin cup:D
Just a thought, Patricia:)

mistofviolets 10-07-2006 11:52 PM

Ooohhh...I've never seen little tiny ones?

I've made mini cakes in custard cups (which are essentially ramekins), hmmm...I wonder if the little dollar shop ones are safe to use on a regular basis? Of course...that size means each "muffin" is worth two.

The Oriental Trading Company sells cast iron novelty muffin pans for fairly reasonable, actually (under $10 for a pan of 6), but I don't know what the pre-seasoning mixture might be. (Corn, probably...my other poison)

I did see that Amazon sells stoneware muffin cups, for a price (of course).

RathyKay 10-08-2006 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turner (Post 22131)
Ok, don't want to be the thread stopper:D

You know, I always think of *myself* as the thread stopper. But, since I started this one, I guess it's okay.

I've wondered about small dishware (ramekins or whatnot). On the downside, when I go to the effort of making muffins, I like to do a bunch since the kids go through them so quickly. Usually 3 pans of 12 muffins. Much easier to pop in three pans than 36 ramekins, or to refill 12 of them several times. Although, I guess I could make giant muffins and see if the kids will still eat them.

Thanks for all the info. I did buy a pyrex loaf pan. I need to try it, to see if I like it. I fully understand "investing" in bakeware. I actually own two baking sheets my grandfather used when he owned a bakery. (They're aluminum, of course.) I just have to figure out which way I want to go. I don't want to invest the money and wish I had bought something else. I'd like to find a Pampered Chef party to crash and actually touch and feel stoneware muffin pans.

And thanks for the headsup on parchment paper. I've never used it, and it looks like I won't.

diamondheart 10-08-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistofviolets (Post 22166)
The Oriental Trading Company sells cast iron novelty muffin pans for fairly reasonable, actually (under $10 for a pan of 6), but I don't know what the pre-seasoning mixture might be. (Corn, probably...my other poison)

I was wondering about cast iron myself. Doesn't anyone use this anymore? I remember making corn bread in my cast iron pan, that is when I used to be able to eat corn. I would think you could wash the seasoning off and then re-season with your own oil?

Also, since I figure like minded people will be reading this thread, what about using microwave ovens? Anyone have any information about any negative side-effects of microwaving your food?

Claire

mistofviolets 10-08-2006 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondheart (Post 22291)
I was wondering about cast iron myself. Doesn't anyone use this anymore? I remember making corn bread in my cast iron pan, that is when I used to be able to eat corn. I would think you could wash the seasoning off and then re-season with your own oil?

Also, since I figure like minded people will be reading this thread, what about using microwave ovens? Anyone have any information about any negative side-effects of microwaving your food?

Claire

Well...I know its porous, and you aren't supposed to use soap b/c then food will taste soapy forever more :P Someone mentioned sanding...but of course, for the cute novelty pans, you'd have to sand away their features.

As for microwaves...I've heard all sorts of bad stuff :P

We got rid of ours a long time ago. Dh said the food tasted a lot better when it was made on the stove, even if we were just reheating it. I use a toaster oven a lot like a microwave though. It takes much longer, but things get that crispy top, (in a good way). I can also use it to make small batches of almond bread sunbutter fudge without heating up the whole entire kitchen.

diamondheart 10-08-2006 04:52 PM

Cast-iron skillets

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistofviolets (Post 22326)
Well...I know its porous, and you aren't supposed to use soap b/c then food will taste soapy forever more :P Someone mentioned sanding...but of course, for the cute novelty pans, you'd have to sand away their features.

Check out this website I found on cast-iron pans, or the "everything you wanted to know about using a cast-iron pan but were afraid to ask"!

The Irreplaceable Cast-Iron Skillet

They talk about how to properly wash a cast-iron skillet. Also, there is an interesting page on how to clean cast-iron using the self-cleaning oven. I would think this would work on your muffin pan.

This is the motivation I need to unearth my cast iron pan that I haven't been able to find since I moved a couple of years ago. I hope I didn't give it away :eek: .

Claire

MotherMoon 10-09-2006 11:03 AM

I use cast iron all time. I have skillets, griddles, etc. I would try muffin pans but my girls prefer mini-muffins. They won'd finish one regular muffin but will eat 4 mini-muffins. Hmm.

Michelle

mistofviolets 10-09-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherMoon (Post 22653)
I use cast iron all time. I have skillets, griddles, etc. I would try muffin pans but my girls prefer mini-muffins. They won'd finish one regular muffin but will eat 4 mini-muffins. Hmm.

Michelle

LOL, my 4 y/o finished off a whole dozen mini popovers...but if I make full size ones, I find pop-over half moons in random places. I bet thats the *real* reason so many mainstream companies started making bite sized snacks...not to save people calories...b/c they knew we'd need more boxes!

mistofviolets 10-09-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondheart (Post 22395)
Check out this website I found on cast-iron pans, or the "everything you wanted to know about using a cast-iron pan but were afraid to ask"!

The Irreplaceable Cast-Iron Skillet

They talk about how to properly wash a cast-iron skillet. Also, there is an interesting page on how to clean cast-iron using the self-cleaning oven. I would think this would work on your muffin pan.

This is the motivation I need to unearth my cast iron pan that I haven't been able to find since I moved a couple of years ago. I hope I didn't give it away :eek: .

Claire

Now...if you burn off the previous seasoning, does that remove the allergen issue? Does anyone know? I had the idea that sterile corn (or gluten) was still corn (or gluten); but...I'm not a scientist. (Good thing, too, since corn allergy in particular seems to baffle them.)

MotherMoon 10-09-2006 11:17 AM

I removed the seasoning from mine (which had been seasoned for eons) with brillo pads and HOT water. Then I reseasoned them. We have not had a reaction. But, not much gluten was in ours prior to going GF. Cornbread would have been the main thing. Oh, and pancakes. Noodles were cooked in stainless and bread in a breadmachine I got rid of.

mistofviolets 10-09-2006 11:23 AM

I'd like to get some of these
http://www.orientaltrading.com/appli...MAN+MUFFIN+PAN
(Just look like fun. :) )
But, am afraid of the pre-seasoning. I think Brillo pads might scrath off the features? If I could get into all the nooks and crannies *sigh*. Maybe I should sweet talk the company into sending me some before the seasoning process LOL.

KimS 10-09-2006 12:36 PM

If memory serves me correctly... gluten turns to carbon, somewhere between 500 and 600 degrees F.

You can also 'kill it' with a really strong alcohol solution... something like 90 or 95% alcohol.

There are scientific documents that proved this. I had posted them on obt.

Those snowman muffin pans really do look fun! :)