NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Been up for 3 or 4 days (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/179270-3-4-days.html)

Abel_in_Fl 11-05-2012 05:13 AM

Been up for 3 or 4 days

This is getting ridiculous, Im not tired either, what is going on? I lay down on my side and it feels like my nose is clogged up on one nostril I dunno if its making me have a harder time trying to breathe or what, I can't seem to get comfortable

Im calling my neurologist today to plead for some lunesta, although Im scared to take a sleeping pill due to the breathing and not sure If i have csa or not

for the past month Ive been laying down tossing and turning until 5 or 6 in the morning then I would think I was having a dream but would get up and it would only be 45 min or an hour since I looked at the clock and would do this 2 or 3 more times until 10 am or so, but now for the past 3 or 4 days Ive gotten no sleep at all

I can't stop my mind from racing when Im laying down either so thats probably not helping at all either

and to top its all off the last couple weeks Ive been having to urinate every hour or so, more noticeable at night, no matter how much water I drink during the day(I only drink water) making it even worse

sorry about the ranting this is just really bizarre, shouldn't I just get so exhausted I sleep automatically?

Mark in Idaho 11-05-2012 05:46 AM

What meds are you taking?

Stop trying to self diagnose. CSA is not very common. Plus, it take decades to it to cause a cumulative problem.

Your anxiety is your worst enemy.

I take gabapentin before bed. It helps my brain and body relax. It is an anti-seizure med and has very few side effects. I'd be asleep except I have peripheral neuropathy and my feet are burning up right now.

Go read a book and fall asleep.

Abel_in_Fl 11-05-2012 07:09 AM

im not taking any meds now, I wish it was that easy, Ive been wanting to sleep I just cant, I can never seem to get comfortable and I never get tired, I yawn sometimes but im never exhausted or anything,

ive tried melatonin and valerian, no effect, that temezapam a few weeks back didn't work by itself or with the wal-som, this has gotten me concerned I want to desperatley sleep but just can't is insomnia normally this bad?

kpc458 11-05-2012 08:41 AM

Abel...I think you need to just let your brain be quiet. I too suffer from pretty bad insomnia, but I think the more you stress over it the worse it gets. I just recently have slept through the night (2 nights ago)! The first time in 1 1/2 yrs.

Abel_in_Fl 11-05-2012 10:51 AM

well about to get a sample of lunesta, hopefully itll work tonight, is it safe to take it with topamax? my dr told me to get back on the topamax,

I stopped because i thought it caused my insomnia to get worse. only took 25mg last thursday and friday but thats when i noticed i didnt get any sleep at all and alls it did was numb my "migraine" as he called it even though i told him it was pressure like and dull , it never went away

im pretty sure thats because its a preventative not for relief but who knows maybe itll work at 50mg?

baultista 11-05-2012 01:23 PM

I would agree that letting your mind relax is the best way to go. Try to clear your head as best as possible. Focus on your inhales and exhales... long inhales, longer exhales. This will help slow your heart rate down as well as your body gets ready to sleep.

If you're still struggling, try to stay away from electronic devices (TV, cell phone, computer, etc) 1-2 hours before bed and try to get a dimmer, more yellowish light in your bedroom if you have a bright white one.

kpc458 11-06-2012 11:49 PM

Also, most meds take 1 to 2 weeks for you to really see the effects. So, stick with it and journal your days.

Mark in Idaho 11-07-2012 01:44 AM

SSRI's SNRI's and other such meds may take a few weeks to take effect but Lunesta is quick acting.

Doh:-0 11-07-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 929400)
SSRI's SNRI's and other such meds may take a few weeks to take effect but Lunesta is quick acting.

Just to give you some encouragement. I've had multiple brain trauma from cons , and menegitis , overdoses even. I hear you tho as the sleep thing goes. I have found a certain body position does allow me to sleep. [mines left side only.
Take Care, Best Wishes.

katmae 11-07-2012 12:03 PM

sleep?

hello again,
have you tryed tylanol pm.? and a breath right nasle stip they work grate for the cloged up thing, there are also some aromatherapy sleel oils that work fantastic I use them for my grandson who has Add and Odd and the meds. make it hard for him to sleep his mother realy did not want to add even more meds.for him to sleep so I make him relaxation baths and sleep oils for the defuser we got for his bedroom these work fantsatic for him I coud give you some recipes if you would like to give them a try:hug:

Abel_in_Fl 11-07-2012 12:35 PM

well the lunesta didn't work, I don't know what to do anymore, Called my neurologist and he keeps telling me the same thing, your getting more sleep than you realize you can't sleep deprive yourself, and he says I should make a full recovery, how can I do that with no sleep?

I know its only been a alittle over a month since I hit my head but I haven't slept almost at all since then, how am I suppose to even begin to recover?

pcslife 11-07-2012 01:22 PM

You tried temezapam which should have helped you to get some sleep since it is a Benzo. If Lunesta doesn't work can you try Ambien?

Have you tried Elavil or Trazadone? Especially Trazadone.

Abel_in_Fl 11-07-2012 01:55 PM

thats whats scary, the fact that the temezapam and the lunesta didn't work, the only other things ive tried ar meletonin and valerian root extract, both did nothing

I haven't tried any of those other sleep aids and probably won't be able to because I have no money, and my parent's who have been helping don't either, plus I would have to go see a different dr anyway to get them prescribed because my current one is a joke

Im worried about dying from lack of rem sleep because its been a over a month since ive had it, I know the constant worrying about not just the sleep but about if ill ever feel myself again is compunding the problem but I can't help it

Its scary when you go from an upbeat outgoing care free indvidual to a point where I lost pretty much all emotion and don't find joy in anything that i used to

sorry that got off topic about the sleep

ginnie 11-07-2012 02:49 PM

Hi abel

sorry the lunesta didn't work. I take ambien, but not often. Also in the past I have taken meds. in the vallium class such as zanax. Those can be addictive, so I try very hard to stay with ambien. Strange as it is, an over the counter, put out by Walgreens works quite well. To get sleepy, without any meds. I read until I nod off, works like a charm.
You will get better Abel. Just try to relax, take a soothing shower, turn off the PC and all electronics a few hours before bed, and keep your lighting low. Get interested in a magazine, or something like that and just try not to think about sleep. stess can do a number on us, so keep your mind on something more pleasant OK? Let me know if I can do anything more for you. Dr. Polanko did help me with sleeping issues. ginnie:hug:

Theta Z 11-07-2012 03:54 PM

Re: lunesta, etc. --- I have been on Rxd lunesta since Feb. 2012.
It must be taken once you've "unplugged" from everything in your day, right before you go to bed to sleep, approx. 30-45 mins before sleep. I highly recommend good sleep hygiene habits and to be in your 'in-bed, ready to go to sleep mode' doing nothing else, i.e. no iPhone, no websurfing, no stimulating tv or video games --- relaxing while it is taking effect. From my own experience, if you persist in activity, --- it will indeed not take effect.

Abel_in_Fl 11-07-2012 04:14 PM

yea thats the thing, im never tired, i took it and just laid there, nothing happened, i understand that somethings don't work for some people but it dosen't seem anything is working for me

ginnie 11-07-2012 07:02 PM

Hi Abel

It is not great that you don't get tired. I wonder if a medication you are on is making you feel like that. What meds? I turn into a pumpkin just from normal stuff during the day almost as soon as it is dark. the cool weather, makes me sleepy too. Is the PCS preventing you from doing any activity? Just trying to help. ginnie:hug:

Abel_in_Fl 11-07-2012 07:44 PM

no im not taking any medication currently, I go for a walk during the day and don't do much else but play solitaire because Im afraid of prolonging this even more, although I do spend way too much time on the computer

Im tempted to just go and exert myself until I feel like passing out and see if i can force myself to sleep but that dosen't seem like it would be a very good idea

ginnie 11-07-2012 07:52 PM

Hi Abel

If you can, get down to the beach and take an extra long walk. Lots of fresh air, stuff like that. Not sure how much you can do with PCS, so I can't tell you to do your floors and chores etc....that wears me out quick. Eat pasta for supper some night, it always makes me want to curl up. Try not being on the PC in the evening, or the TV. I think if you do try to wear yourself out, do it in a way that it does not hurt your recovery from PCS. That other post was right, really get calm before taking it. Also have a fresh and comfortable bed. Little things like that make a big difference. Let me know how you do. ginnie:hug:

Abel_in_Fl 11-08-2012 08:51 PM

sleep has still avoided me, this is quite perplexing

I spose ill give the melatonin another shot

ginnie 11-08-2012 10:25 PM

Hi Abel

Maybe do as you did as a kid. Milk and cookies with that melatonin. Hope something works for you. Get that fresh air. ginnie:hug:

Abel_in_Fl 11-09-2012 10:31 AM

ok its been over a week with absolutely no sleep, who would I go to even try to explain this? is there anything anyone can do?

I feel like im getting weaker and weaker everyday, this along with not eating its like my body just wants to shut down, has anyone ever gone through sleep loss this bad for over a month?

ginnie 11-09-2012 10:43 AM

Hi Abel

This must have something to do with the TBS. Ask Mark from Idaho, and see if he has some suggestion. If not, seek Dr. Emese Simon, she is on Robinhood lane in sarasota. she is a physiatrist, who works with people at a cellular level. It would be worth an office call to see her. ginnie:hug:

pcslife 11-09-2012 10:57 AM

You need some serious help. I went through Insomnia for about 3 days when I took Cymbalta and I did get suicidal. A week is very rough. In some other TBI forum some one mentioned they didn't sleep for a month despite Benzos, Ambien etc., I can't even imagine that. Even there was a movie called Insomnia.

Since you have not tried any tricyclics like Elavil, Trazadone etc., you can give a shot. Elavil is not expensive (may be $10 for a month supply and depends on dosage I think). Trazadone can help with anxiety induced sleep disorder I heard. Another option is you can get these meds from online pharmacy in Canada which is legal.

Some meds are far more cheaper there compared to U.S. and manufactured by the same company. Once I bought some eye ointment which costs $170 and I paid copay $50. Next time I got the same medicine from same company for $25 in Canada.

There are other extreme measures and probably you have to be like Michael Jackson who took propofol (he got ODed on that btw).

katmae 11-09-2012 11:28 AM

no sleep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abel_in_Fl (Post 930071)
ok its been over a week with absolutely no sleep, who would I go to even try to explain this? is there anything anyone can do?

I feel like im getting weaker and weaker everyday, this along with not eating its like my body just wants to shut down, has anyone ever gone through sleep loss this bad for over a month?

have you ever tryed aromatherapy? there are oils that you can put in a defuser and bern in your bedroom that will help you relax and sleep there is also a bath that you could take before you go to bed that will help you relax I have some recipes if you would like them let me know they realy help my Grandson sleep and he has ADD andODD:hug:

Neurobrain2000 11-11-2012 12:44 PM

To alert

Not if your suffering from a manic episode of undiagnosed bipolar. Distractibility, decrease need for sleep, irritibilty etc

Theta Z 11-11-2012 01:22 PM

While for me also x 9 mos this year "nothing else is working for me to get to sleep", I am by now out of my rx lunesta.

I am after dinner through the evening sipping on 2-3 cups of hot Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea, with milk and sweetener --- either a granulated coconut nectar or stevia natural, no-cal sweetener, e.g. Pure Via available at grocery.

Also during the daytime I am using Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer tea for calming --- hot or iced, again with either a bit of coconut milk or a sweetener such as Pure Via.

Note: Be sure to boil the water and steep the tea strongly; *do not microwave*.

The extra calcium & the tryptophan of the warm milk seems to help me.
Also taking the magnesium supplement before bedtime, suggested by Mark.

Good luck.

rmschaver 11-11-2012 09:55 PM

Try Benadryl, just read post that said it helped with headache. There are neurologists that help with sleep dysfunction

Abel_in_Fl 11-13-2012 11:50 AM

Ive tried benedryl, or atleast the walgreens equivalent wal-som, I tried 2mg of xanax and it had no effect on me whatsoever tonight im gonna try an ambien, somehing has to work

ginnie 11-13-2012 12:52 PM

Hi Abel

You really have tried. If xanax 2 mgs. didn't work, I am not sure ambian will either. That is a really high dose, that would knock most people on their butts. Outside a neruologist for PCS, there are sleep disfunction clinics in Fla. I even think there is one in Sarasota. I would head there, and after this long without sleep, get someone to drive you. You reaction times would be way off, and the tourists are back. Look into this Abel, this isn't good for you. I am sure you are frustrated, but you need to go get some help at a higher level. ginnie

Abel_in_Fl 11-13-2012 01:05 PM

yea I thought about getting a sleep study done, but the fact is I have no money for one and they won't be much help if i can't get to sleep while im there doing a test

they would more than likely send me home with results inconclusive

ginnie 11-13-2012 04:16 PM

About sleep study clinics

Actually it is OK if you cannot sleep while at the sleep study. They measure brain waves to see just what your cycles are if any. This is a good thing to do, and they can get to the bottom of it. As far as money goes, can you borrow from a family member to get yourself back on track? I would ask my local church, do what ever it took, to be able to have a half way normal life.
Do you have a supportive family who could do this for you? If you can't hold a job, you couldn't pay them back. If you got well, then you could do for them the way they want and pay them back. My mom did multipal loans for me, and I did pay them back. It is worth a consideration. Sleep clinics do find cause, and if you don't sleep, that is what you are there for anyway. Just think about it. ginnie

Abel_in_Fl 11-13-2012 05:19 PM

oh I didn't know that, I heard of people being sent home from a sleep study with no results because they couldn't get to sleep

looks like I may have to look into that more seriously then, thanks again ginnie for the suggestions

rmschaver 11-14-2012 03:05 AM

Unrelated but in my youth I went thru a period of severe insomnia. Being very poor and having two absentee parents going to a doctor was out of the question. I learned to meditate. Can't recall where I read it but when you meditate deeply it mimics the same state the brain goes into during sleep.

Don't know if it is true or not. What I did learn is that once I was able to settle myself and meditate I would feel very much better after. Not refreshed as sleeping did but not that mental exhaustion that accompanies lack of sleep. While learning meditation can be taxing without being guided you will need to be more patient because of your PCS.

Try to find a location with minimal distractions. Seat yourself in a position that supports your body well. Remember to accommodate any back or neck injury. I prefer cross legged on the floor on a pillow. Closing your eyes is good for novices. Now here is the really hard part. Focus your mind on nothing. It's OK when thoughts intrude that is normal.

For those just learning it can be helpful to think of the mind as a white slate that is written on by thoughts. Just keep wiping it clean. Do not expect to be able to last very long initially. 30 minutes or so is OK. Make sure no clocks are in sight. Like many things meditation is a learned skill but one I find very valuable. Practice everyday. When you get the hang of clearing your mind, and you will. Then meditate one a single point in your chest, stomach, groin or head. No thoughts just a single point.

As you become more comfortable with this type of meditation your ability to stay longer in this state and the depth you go will increase. You will feel much better and calmer afterwards. If you try this remember not to expect too much to soon. Meditation is not an immediate skill. It requires dedication and practice but I found the benefits were huge to me.

Hope you feel better soon.

katmae 11-14-2012 10:57 AM

sleepy

I am sorry that you still have not found an answer to your sleep problum, I hope that you find something soon:grouphug:

Theta Z 11-14-2012 12:39 PM

Hope the Ambien helped you last night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abel_in_Fl (Post 931092)
Ive tried benedryl, or atleast the walgreens equivalent wal-som, I tried 2mg of xanax and it had no effect on me whatsoever tonight im gonna try an ambien, somehing has to work

Abel, my neighbor friend is a nurse, who works 12-hr shifts.
She has recently tried several of the over the counter sleep meds at Walgreen's and found that one in particular does work for her & then over time, will grow ineffective --- despite all varieties/brands list the same active ingredient of diphenhydramine, which is essentially, yes, benadryl.

What mg. dosage of lunesta did you try?
(You may require a double-dose?)

And what mg. dosage of Ambien are you trying?
Hang in there.

Abel_in_Fl 11-14-2012 12:53 PM

Ive tried 3mg of lunesta one night then 6mg the next night and still had no effect which after calling my neuro he told me never to take more than one

I haven't tried the ambien yet because Ive yet to get a hold of one but hoping today I will even though im having serious doubts that it'll work

I don't understand all this because I don't ever seem to be fatigued which I thought was supposed to be one of the main symptoms

Theta Z 11-14-2012 02:33 PM

Hmm ... I'm petite 119 lbs and 3 to 4 mg rx lunesta is what worked best for me. However I was on it longterm for 9-10 mos.

Abel_in_Fl 11-14-2012 03:36 PM

Yeah its so weird that nothing seems to make me even drowsy, everyone I talk to says that all the stuff ive been trying would have knocked anyone else out, admittedly my sleep schedule wasn't rigid before i hit my head but I would always get tired eventually

its like everyday i get up is the worst day of my life, not complaining just stating fact, Im not sure if its the feeling in my head all the time or what but I would be safe to guess if I did get one full night of sleep I wouldn't be in such bad shape

I guess I can only keep trying

Theta Z 11-15-2012 10:28 PM

New Rx for Lunesta

Thinking of you there in FLA., Abel.
My dr. approved today for a new Rx lunesta, 2mg.
I am in hopes that since I have been out of it for about 10 days, that it will work effectively for me, albeit it's a lower dosage for me.

At any rate, thinking of you there, and hoping that you are doing everything that you can to be self-supportive in your sleep hygiene habits, bedtime routine, and that you get a good night's sleep tonight, or very soon.

Please keep us posted on what you're doing "with it all", what changes you've made, the changes you are encountering, and how it all is going for you.

Did you contact a TBI Support Group there this week?
Do let me know if the weblinks I sent to you were helpful or not.
It's difficult not knowing if you are located in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa --- or what county there. If you'll private message me your location, I can better help you with contacts for your area.

Sincerely,
Theta