NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   do neuroscience supps (adrecor and travacor) work? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/115394-neuroscience-supps-adrecor-travacor.html)

nyc76 02-24-2010 10:35 PM

do neuroscience supps (adrecor and travacor) work?

does anyone have thoughts on the neuroscience brand supplements? specifically adrecor and travacor?

i have been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue and hashimoto thyroditis (hypothyroid) and my MD recommended a neuroscience protocol of adrecor and travcor.

the problem is, my neuropath dr. thinks the neuroscience science is unreliable. according to her, neuroscience tests measure markers of neurotrasmitters in the urine and claim that is a reflection of the action of these chemicals (serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, and a few others) in your brain, which is just not true.
the neurotransmitters are big molecules and they don’t freely pass between the body and the brain (unless there is a compromised blood brain barrier), so measurements taken outside the brain are not reflective of what’s going on in the brain.

what is a reliable test for these chemicals?

either way i'm now thoroughly confused and could use some insight if anyone has had success with these supplements for treating adrenal fatigue. i've read a lot of conflicting info from people using them for depression.

thanks.

nancys 02-25-2010 12:15 AM

I took my daughter to see my naturopath within the first couple of weeks of her concussion. Her recommendation was to put her on Travacor. We tried it for a few days and it made her headaches worse, so we stopped. I don't know if it would have helped long term. It sounded like a reasonable thing to try. She also wanted to get her neurotransmitter levels via the urine tests, but my daughter refused because she didn't like the naturopath.

My friend, who's daughter also had a concussion over the summer was put on a adrenal fatigue type supplement. I don't recall the name. She seemed to think it help some.

Mark in Idaho 02-25-2010 02:35 AM

My concern about the Neuroscience protocols is very simple. The testing lab, Pharmasan Labs, Inc , that gives the lab results suggesting the Neuroscience products is owned, operated and located at the exact same facility address and phone number as Neuroscience.

I think they call this "The fox is guarding the hen house."

I would suggest starting with good nutrition including B vitamins (B-2 B-3 B-6 and B-12), D3, niacin, folic acid, Omega 3 oils including EPA and DHA, thiamine, and a broad spectrum of minerals and other vitamins.

A good assessment of hormone levels is also useful.

By giving your body the proper nutrients it needs, especially if the brain is damaged and struggling to heal, you allow your body to heal itself. The nutrition therapy should show improvement within about 2 to 3 months.

You also need to avoid the excito-toxins that can be counter productive. Specifically, aspartame (Equal no calorie sweetener) , Mono Sodium Glutamate, and caffeine. They can over-stimulate the brain cells to a point of cellular death.

Good sleep habits and reducing stress levels are also important.

You will find that the nutrition therapy will need to be a lifelong habit. Falling off the wagon will be evident within a few days or so.

There are other posts here about suggesting the value of good nutrition.

mrsD 02-25-2010 07:15 AM

Travacor is a mixture of some simple vitamins in low amounts,
and a proprietary mix of 3 things:
taurine
5-HTP
Theanine

They lump these 3 together and give a final dose of 900mg!

So you do NOT know what you are getting. How much of EACH.

I never recommend that people consider products with this way of detailing the ingredients.

The taurine and theanine are not likely to cause headache or side effects. The 5-HTP is likely to be difficult to tolerate for some people. But we don't know how much of this is in this product!

I don't care WHO makes things like this....if this type of listing occurs on a label... proprietary mixture, then AVOID it.

Adrecor is similar, only it has FIVE ingredients listed in this combined way, so you still don't know what your are getting!

mhr4 02-25-2010 04:39 PM

I tried Nueroscience and it's crap. Your MD is probably a distributor for them and that is why he is pushing their products on you. You can easily get cheaper forms of these supplements on the internet or at your local health food store. And, as MrsD pointed out, the individual ingredients come with side effects and you need to find out if any of them give you side effects. I was a big fan of them until I figured this out.

Also, how bad are you adrenal fatigued? If it is just minor - moderate adrenal fatigue, then supplements and rest will work just fine. If it is moderate - severe then you will need Hydrocortisone treatment to give your adrenals the much needed rest they deserve. Typically this comes in the form of Cortef and sometimes Isocort. Go to your local library and get Dr. James Wilson's book on adrenal fatigue. It has a lot of good info in it that you need to educate yourself on. He does have a program you can do and it is effective for minor-moderate adrenal fatigue, but this program is very expensive and regimented. So, unless you have the next 4-6 months to do nothing but lounge around without any stress, I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, you can get a very general and vague idea of your neurotransmitter levels from a urine test, but this test is not accurate for therapeutic purposes. The only way to accurately measure them is to get a sample of your cerebrospinal fluid, but this is obviously not feasible. There are also written tests you can do that will also give you an idea of what you are dominant in and deficient in. You can also raise your levels through diet. Google: "neurotransmitter, diet" and you should be able to find diets that raise neurotransmitters.

Mark in Idaho 02-25-2010 06:50 PM

A qEEG can give you some info about your neurotransmitter levels. The P300 waveform is the one to have reviewed by a knowledgeable physician.

I still believe that getting nutrition up to par is the first step. Most of our brains have been polluted by the injury and resultant stress loads. You can treat the symptom ( low neurotransmitters) or treat the cause (poor nutrition). One the nutrition is up to par, then the neurotransmitter levels can be considered.

Mikeyy 02-26-2010 05:42 PM

I had great results with Neuroscience and its supplements
I guess its on a per patient basis...

baseball07 02-27-2010 10:55 PM

Is there any difference between these neuroscience products and antidepressants? From what I have been reading, these neuroscience products are used to raise your seratonin levels, which is what antidepressants do, correct?

Mark in Idaho 02-28-2010 12:59 AM

The Neuroscience products are Vitamin compounds with some neurotransmitter supplements also. They do not act on your serotonin or norepinephrine system like anti-depressants do, especially SSRI's or SNRI's. They would likely have much less in side effects.

My main concern is they may cause an improvement that will need long term use of the Neuroscience products to maintain. They are very expensive compared to other more basic nutritional programs.

It is no different than the concept of using premium gas in a car that will run fine on regular.

As I said, if you can resolve the problem without the expensive and specialized product, it is the logical and advisable place to start. It is much easier to learn to eat a healthy diet with some vitamins and other common supplements added than it is to be constantly ordering expensive supplements that do the same.

If you were to take:

BalanceD @2x2 times per day 60 for $29.00 = $2.00 per day
Travacor @3 x 2 times per day 120 for $60.00 = $3.00 per day
AdreCor @ 3-5X2 times per day 180 for $50.00 = $3.00 per day

Your daily cost will be $8.00 plus tax and shipping.
times 30 days per month and your monthly expense is $240.00

That is awful expensive for something that my body will likely convert from a sound and nutritious diet with affordable supplements.
My 24 pieces of vitamins and supplements cost me about $1.00 per day. That includes glucosamine and condroitin for my joints, Vit D3, Vit E, Calcium, Niacin, Magnesium, Omega Oil, Garlic extract, Folic acid, and three times as much of the B vitamins than are included in the Neuroscience products listed above, plus a bunch of trace elements that we all need.

So, do you guys see why I suggest starting with a sound and nutritious diet with supplements?

But then, I need to survive on a disability check that is less than 20% of my previous income.

Maybe those of you who can continue to make the mega bucks can afford $240 per month. Many of us can't.

mhr4 02-28-2010 12:07 PM

Just an FYI about vitamins supplements. Most of the multi vitamins, such as centrum and one-a-day, you can get at your local grocery store and/or health food store are not very good. Make sure that you are getting a quality multi vitamin that requires you to take 4-5 pills to get your daily dose.

Mark in Idaho 03-01-2010 02:17 AM

Personally, I would be hesitant to use a multi-vitamin. They are usually based on the FDA's RDA(Recommended Daily Allowance) This standard is considered as only a recommendation and is very low. It does not have much medical science behind it.

Multi-vitamins tend to have proper dosages for the trace elements but lack enough of vitamin B's, D3, C, E, folic acid, Omega 3's, thiamine, niacin etc for a brain that needs strong nutritional help.

There are a number of resources that will list more appropriate dosages. I have posted my dosages previously. I take about 24 pieces each morning. My dosages are more than would be recommended for a person without any symptoms specific to the brain.

Mikeyy 03-02-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball07 (Post 627075)
Is there any difference between these neuroscience products and antidepressants? From what I have been reading, these neuroscience products are used to raise your seratonin levels, which is what antidepressants do, correct?

im not a fan of prescription drugs at all
my theory is somewhat similar to marks in that there must be a natural set of vitamins that you can take that will have the same, or an even better effect on your body.

They prescribed I take anti-depressants prior to being diagnosed correctly with PCS and I did for 2-3 weeks until the only effect it was having on me was my inability to "finish" sexually.. sorry for the graphic nature but it was even MORE frustrating

after 4 days of taking my neuroscience supplements I noticed a difference... after 21 days of anti-depressants I felt the same if not worse

I was also clearly turning towards depression as a result of my PCS. As my symptoms got better so did my mood. The depression was obviously a direct side effect of the PCS...

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2010 05:07 AM

Sounds like your doctor prescribed an SSRI like Paxil/paroxetine or Prozac, etc. The "can't finish" is a miserable side effect.

I wish I could survive without my 60mg of paroxetine. I need it to function. My brain gets stuck on random thoughts, like the lines of a song, the spelling of a word, a license plate number I saw, etc. Without the paxil, these looping thoughts can last days.

I can momentarily get another thought going but the dominant though will inevitably come back. Sometimes, my mind get stuck in jukebox mode. I can switch songs if I try but I will have to have something playing in my head or the original will start looping again.

The doctors don't care to help me besides renewing my prescription. There is a therapist in Salt lake City who has suggested his therapy may help, but it takes six weeks or more at over $200 per week. Plus Salt Lake City is 300 miles away. Plus, I would need to wean off the Paxil which takes up to 8 weeks of misery.

You are very fortunate you stopped the anti-depressant in the early stage. You stopped at just about the time when the anti-depressant starts to work. Good for you.

You can buy the active ingredients in the Neuroscience stuff at any vitamin or health food store. It will save you a bunch. I'd still get the whole vitamin regimen going first for about two months. Then wean off the Neuroscience and see if you still need it. If you do, you can add the neurotransmitter ingredient back to your regimen.

I was at the store today and saw all of the ingredients in the Neuroscience products on the shelf in a number of brands (without the extra vitamins)

baseball07 03-02-2010 12:13 PM

I have not heard any talk about peoples using protein supplements as part of their nutrition regimene, which I I highly recommend and feel is essetial to proper brain function. Most whey protein products out on the market are loaded with BCAAs, taurine, and glutamine. Mark previously reported on the possible benefits of BCAAs. You can get a 2lb Body Fortress supply from Walmart for $12, and the quality of protein is very good. I take one scoop in the morning and one at night.

Mikeyy 03-02-2010 07:16 PM

effexor.....

baseball07 03-02-2010 10:56 PM

My doctor perscribed Effexor to me also for depression, he said I could not have received a concussion because I didn't get knocked out, and all my symptoms were depression related. In my opinion, Effexor is a terrible drug. The withdrawl effects are unbearable, I couldn't beleive FDA would approve a drug with such horrible withdrawl symptoms. If I went over a day without taking a dose, it gave me nasty headaches, irritability, and horrible anxiety. I then switched over to zoloft which I actually had no problems with, and would recommend to anyone who suffers depression/anxiety from PCS.

Mark in Idaho 03-03-2010 09:53 AM

So, have you found a new doctor to replace the concussion denier? This "no concussion unless you are knocked out" belief is very old and based on old wives tales and ignorance, if that can be.

I wonder if your doctor would let you hit him in the head with a baseball bat but not knock him out? With his logic of "no concussion unless knocked out," the baseball bat would not hurt him.

Julian Bailes, M.D. believes in the damaging effect of sub-concussive impacts. These are impacts that do not cause concussion symptoms but do have residual effects.

Here is part of an article that talks about sub-concussive blows.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/rese...8838451&page=3

Mikeyy 03-08-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 628254)
So, have you found a new doctor to replace the concussion denier? This "no concussion unless you are knocked out" belief is very old and based on old wives tales and ignorance, if that can be.

I wonder if your doctor would let you hit him in the head with a baseball bat but not knock him out? With his logic of "no concussion unless knocked out," the baseball bat would not hurt him.

lol I had one of these too.. I actually said pretty much this to her.

Heidi1996 05-18-2010 10:34 AM

Neuroscience products

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 626636)
I had great results with Neuroscience and its supplements
I guess its on a per patient basis...

After taking the neurotransmitter urine test, My doc has me on Neuroscience's theanaq, travacor, calm PRT, and Kavinace. I have terrible insomnia due to adrenal fatigue and I also am hypothroid due to hashimotos thyroiditis. I'm hopeful these will help with the insomnia. I'm also on several supplements as well as a new diet to correct adrenal fatigue.

I'd really appreciate if you could share with me anything more about how the neuroscience products have helped you.

Cheers!

Mark in Idaho 05-18-2010 07:24 PM

Heidi1996,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. What is your doctor treating you for? Do you have a concussion or other TBI?

Have you read the many nutrition posts from the past few months?

There are many nutritional approaches to try before getting too intense with neurotransmitter supplements. We have discussed Neuroscience extensively.

My approach is to get nutrition up to par and then treat any deficiencies that still persist. Most issues can be greatly improved with this approach.

Personally, I struggle to accept the undocumented claims of a person or organization that sells the tests (Pharmasan Labs) and then sells the supplements (Neuroscience Inc.). The lack of separation between the two companies creates a question.

Most of the supplements can be purchased at your local vitamin store in generic varieties.

Chemar 05-20-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 655992)

Personally, I struggle to accept the undocumented claims of a person or organization that sells the tests (Pharmasan Labs) and then sells the supplements (Neuroscience Inc.). The lack of separation between the two companies creates a question.

I cannot address the testing or supplements related to TBI or PCS but I do feel the need to mention that I know of a number of children with neurological disorders who have had very beneficial neurotransmitter testing done via Neuroscience, and whose parents feel the supplements have been very helpful to them

for many, the tests at Neuroscience have provided valuable information that has helped them find more effective treatments, whether or not they choose to purchase the company's products

Just because they do both testing and sale of supplements does not in any way negate the value of the service they provide. I think it only fair to present another side to this.

JMHO

karenh 08-07-2010 06:21 PM

I just joined this group so I could respond to this thread, although my issue is depression, not brain injury, etc. However, I want to share my experience w/ NeuroScience and their products.

After testing through NeuroScience my clinical nutritionist put me on Travacor and Kavinace. At the time I was on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin as treatment for depression. I went to this nutritionist for two reason. First, I didn't want to be on meds for the rest of my life if there was another option. And second, even being on two meds, having tried others, and being in therapy for eight years I was still battling depression.

About three days after starting on Travacor I started to feel better. By the end of a week I felt better than I had felt in years, maybe ever. This was last December. I went through the winter feeling great and in the spring started to wean off of Cymbalta. I had no problem doing so, in spite of the fact that my psychiatrist warned me that many people have a tough time getting off Cymbalta. I recently began to wean off of Wellbutrin as well and was beginning to feel the effects of being almost off of it. I talked w/ my nutritionist and he put me on another NeuroScience Product, ExcitaPlus, which addresses dopamine and norepinephrine. After a couple of days on it the cloud began to lift today.

You can say what you want about NeuroScience, but I am a firm believer. I know many will say it could be the placebo effect, but I know differently. I've struggled most of my life w/ depression and finally feel I have an answer. My biggest struggle now is the resentment that I have towards the insurance companies that will pay for drugs, but not for treatment that enables my body to make enough neurotransmitters itself. I am lucky enough to be able to afford the treatment b/c my husband makes a good salary. Others are not so fortunate. However, if I had to I'd get a job (I'm a stay-at-home mom) in order to pay for these supplements. That's how strongly I believe in them and how good I have been feeling since taking them.

As far as not being able to measure how much neurotransmitters are in the brain by measuring what's in the urine.......makes sense to me that if my body can make them in my gut it can in my brain, and if it can't make enough in my gut it can't make them in my brain. The testing showed I was low on serotonin in spite of the Cymbalta. I retested after several months on Travacor (and feeling better) and my serotonin was WAY up, not dangerously so, but way up. That must be why I could drop the Cymbalta w/ no problems.

My dopamine and norepinephrine was optimal when I tested b/c the Wellbutrin was working well. We assumed when I started struggling as I decreased the Wellbutrin that my body wasn't producing enough and added the ExcitaPlus. It's a little early, but it appears that is working as well. We will retest everything in a few months. I suspect we'll find all levels are optimal.

So, that's my story. I would recommend finding an excellent doctor or nutritionist to test and "prescribe" like I have. There are many out there who just want to make big bucks so that might be difficult. However, that doesn't mean that these products aren't a viable way to treat depression and probably other conditions.

Thanks!

Mark in Idaho 08-08-2010 12:32 AM

I am curious as to what other nutritional therapies your nutritionist has tried before the NeuroScience prescription?

My main concern about NeuroScience is it is used as a first resort. Good nutrition and diet should be first and the expensive anecdotally promoted but not scientifically tested methods later.

I was in a deep depression and was fully recovered in just 8 weeks with good nutrition and avoiding bad nutrition.

The human body is a garbage in garbage out system. It also responds to undue stress loads that result from poor lifestyle choices. The post concussion brain is overly sensitive to poor nutrition and undue stress loads.

I am waiting for NeuroScience and Pharmasan Labs to publish some research material. Just like Ochs labs, their research data is hard to find.

btw, I am not saying it does not work. If it does work, the research should be readily available.

cliffmail 03-03-2011 01:07 PM

My Testimony

I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I thought I would post my two cents. I suffered from a bought of debilitating depression about 10 years ago. It was brought on by stress which i don't handle very well. A year on prozac and therapy, and some major changes (getting rid of the crappy job i had) and I was pretty good. About 3 years ago I suffered another attack of depression. Could not get out of bed and miserable. Much worse this time.

Over the years I had gotten married, have two children, became self employed with a pretty good business - so this time the stresses werent things that could just be removed. My MD put me on Effexor XR. After about a week i started to feel better and then I took a nose dive and went back to the pit of despair. My MDs answer was more Effexor XR. He upped me to 225mg. For someone without medical insurance this was REALLY expensive.

I managed to climb to a point of being able to function but it was very up and down. I started seeing a therapist and things would stay good for about 6 weeks at a time followed by a not so bad period of depression. About a year later, I fell into the deep depression again. My therapist and I considered that I might be bi-polar or and we suggested to my medical doctor that I might try an add-on drug like Abilify. He was reluctant because of the nature of these drugs. My therapist offered two options. One was that i seek the help of a medical psychologist who could evaluate and better prescribe what was needed and the other was to see a friend of hers who was a naturopathic MD. I opted to try the naturopath first.

The Naturopath was AWESOME! She had a waiting list of 2 months but made room in her schedule to see me immediately. Diet and excercise were among her first recommendations and she gave me all kinds of nutritional info and a diet and excercise plan. I had put on about 35 pounds since I got on the Effexxor. She also put me on Adrecor and a 5HTP spray. I took the spit and pee test - and the results came back. Even with the Effexor I was producing almost NO seratonin. Several other levels were out of whack as well.

Based on this, she adjusted the amount of the Adrecor and the Spray that I was using and added Travacor. That was a year ago and I have been consistantly happy since. It was like a veil of clouds was lifted. I really missed me! And I gotta say - I have sorta gotten away from the diet and excercise plan. Thus, I have been unable to shed the additional weight. I see my MD later this month. I am still on the Effexor but I was to go off it and see what happens.

Conculsion - The natural stuff is expensive and not convered by insurance - but it is natural, has no long term effects and IT WORKS!

Mark in Idaho 03-03-2011 11:22 PM

Have you asked your ND about replacing the Adrecor with more common supplements such as the amino acids, vitamins and such that are in the Adrecor?

I have struggled with depression on and off since my concussion in 1965. In 1982, I was in such a depressed state that I could not put two thoughts together. An ortho-molecular psychiatrist got me on a supplement regimen that pulled me out withing 8 weeks. I follow as similar regimen to this day.

I have posted earlier in this tread about the big saving in setting up a supplement regimen that has most if not all of the same ingredients as the Afrecor for substantially less.

I am glad to hear your ND has prescribed a spray of 5-HTP. This allows better dose control to prevent the other risks associated with self-prescribing 5-HTP. L-Tryptophan is a precursor of 5-HTP and also works for the same result.

Ask your ND about the withdrawal from the Effexor since it is an SNRI (Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor). As you withdraw, she might want to increase your 5-HTP spray dosage.

johnhealth 03-14-2011 01:56 PM

The Research Says They Do

I did a little research on the manufacturer's website ** and it turns out they have done a lot of research to prove that the products really do work. They have a lab in Wisconsin I believe where they test all their products to make sure they really move the markers they are testing.

I know that if you are going to purchase their products, you should definitely go to a reputable online store. My sister orders from ** and keeps ordering from there, so they must get her what she needs.

Hope this helps!

-John

mrsD 03-14-2011 03:02 PM

I really do think the ingredients of these two products are valid.

What I take issue with is that the label does not inform the consumer as to the amount of each ingredient to be consumed.

They hide behind "proprietary mixture"... which is allowed on labeling by the FDA. But you do not know how much you really are getting of anything in that mixture.

5HTP IMO is almost a drug, in its actions. One step away from serotonin itself. People who consume it should be able to know how much they are taking.
For TravaCor:
http://www.pureprescriptions.com/pro...ProductsID=644

Therapeutic amounts of taurine range in the 1000mg area.
Theanine 100mg/dose
5-HTP 50mg or 100mg
N-acetyl Cysteine 600mg minimum
You can see this adds up to more than 900mg total in that mix.

Nonnie 04-06-2011 11:42 PM

I have just started using Neuroscience supplements. I was so glad to find this form, as I could not seem to find any helpful info. At great expense I started about a month ago. I have suffered from Depression and Anxiety for way to long. Things were going pretty good and then some of the supplements recommended caused anxiety to get worse. My Doctor says, I need to hang in there. Did u have to experiment, or were you good with first recipe? I guess with my test results, certain things were recommended. Looking for hope!

krisuk333 05-20-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonnie (Post 759875)
I have just started using Neuroscience supplements. I was so glad to find this form, as I could not seem to find any helpful info. At great expense I started about a month ago. I have suffered from Depression and Anxiety for way to long. Things were going pretty good and then some of the supplements recommended caused anxiety to get worse. My Doctor says, I need to hang in there. Did u have to experiment, or were you good with first recipe? I guess with my test results, certain things were recommended. Looking for hope!

What products are you taking, I quite like the liposome formula Endoplus, I use to find 5-htp horrible in a tablet form but I can take as much spray as I want.

Only problem is these products are expensive but I'm a big fan of any liposome products.

I have read 5-htp can take a few weeks to work and if you brain levels are low there maybe some adjustment needed which could be uncomfortable.

Mark in Idaho 05-20-2011 04:12 AM

krisuk333,

This thread is very inactive. The dates of each post is in the upper left of the post. The poster also has their number of posts listed.

Nonnie posted once on 4/6/2011 and has not posted since.

Are you living with PCS or some other traumatic brain injury or did you google for the NeuroScience products and find this tread?

The discussion is about using NeuroScience products for the symptoms of Post Concussion Syndrome.

Chandler 10-30-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 772058)
krisuk333,

This thread is very inactive. The dates of each post is in the upper left of the post. The poster also has their number of posts listed.

Nonnie posted once on 4/6/2011 and has not posted since.

Are you living with PCS or some other traumatic brain injury or did you google for the NeuroScience products and find this tread?

The discussion is about using NeuroScience products for the symptoms of Post Concussion Syndrome.

Mark, I am new here, and this is the first thread I have read, due to an internet search that brought me straight here. I read the entire thread, and noticed your pattern of recommending diet/nutrition and vitamin supplements, as an alternative to taking the neurotransmitter supplements which are intended to directly influence neurotransmitter levels.
But based on what I have studied, while certain foods do contribute to neurotransmitters such as serotonin, the amount is negligible, therefor requiring heavier dosages found in supplements like 5HTP.
And going from diet to vitamin supplements - I was not aware that any vitamins actually affected neurotransmitters much either.
So, could you clarify exactly what diet choices and vitamin choices are valid substitutes for specialized supps like Neuroscience's neurotransmitter support, and how they do it ?
Thanks

Mark in Idaho 10-30-2011 09:47 AM

The concept is getting the brain to work properly rather than using the neurotransmitters directly that may become a crutch for the brain.

There are foods to avoid to lessen the negative impact. Then there are the supplements to take to help the brain detoxify and work stronger. We are discussing vitamins, especially B vitamins on another top listed thread.

What symptoms are you dealing with?

Have yo had a head injury?

Chandler 10-31-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 819968)
The concept is getting the brain to work properly rather than using the neurotransmitters directly that may become a crutch for the brain.

There are foods to avoid to lessen the negative impact. Then there are the supplements to take to help the brain detoxify and work stronger. We are discussing vitamins, especially B vitamins on another top listed thread.

What symptoms are you dealing with?

Have yo had a head injury?

I have had several head injuries.
It started when I was an infant. I was told later in life, that my babysitter dropped by infant body onto the hard tile floor where I landed right on my head.

Then as an early teenager, I was playing neighborhood football, and was struck by someone literally almost 3 times my size, with his entire weight and force landing on my head. I was unconscious for several minutes.

Then, recently had a mild concussion where my head struck the side of a pool really hard, but was not unconscious.

As for my symptoms, I responded to your question about that, with a list of them in my introductory post/thread. ** ... the thread is titled "Introductory Post with Questions" : http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...588#post820588

Mark in Idaho 11-01-2011 02:44 AM

A concussion during the early teenage years can be the toughest to recover from. The brain and body is going through so many changes that healing is a struggle.

Have you ever had a NeuroPsychological Assessment?

It may help to define your symptoms. Then, you can develop strategies to work with those conditions/dysfunctions to get your life back. As you gain coping skills, your stress levels will decrease which will improve your chances of true healing. A brain overwhelmed with anxiety and such will struggle to heal.

The anxious and depressed brain is a toxic waste dump that needs cleansing. Strong vitamin and other supplementation worked wonders for me. I am a basket case without my supplementation regimen. Just ask my wife.

Chandler 11-01-2011 12:00 PM

Havn't had NeuroPsycholigical testing that I'm aware of. Does it go by any other name ? I've had the qEEG brain mapping done, which they told me was consistent with effects from a head injury, but I went through that same treatment center's 2 month program of neurofeedback, that but didn't help that much.

Can you elaborate on the vitamin supplementation, on what specifically needs to be taken ? Or is it tailor-made for the patient, based on his individual condition ?

Solesito 11-14-2011 02:32 PM

Stressed cause of constant contradictory informantion

So I tried the vegan diet then i began experiencing dizziness & then it lead me to other health problems... Found out i have both antibodies so i have hashimoto's, hypothyroidism, vitamin D deficient, & eveen though my Naturopath didnt say anything bad about my iron(said me normal) everyone that i show my results to said i am anemic.. The results are in range but the Iron in the high end & Ferritin in the low end. :( I did the adrenal test kit phrmasan labs & i am told they are a bit off even though steady. She gave me travacor & kavinace & naturethroid(thyroid med). So i started with the naturethroid & had heart irregularities & I added the travacor & kavinace & they increased & got worse. After 2 weeks+ of taking thyroid med i stopped cause it was getn worse! I continued with the travacor & kavinace (x2at bed time) & the heart issues seemed to get worse on 2x kavinace (2weeks+). I told my doc i wanted to stop all meds until i get rid of these heart issues! I am still waiting on them to go away. I am now left with symptoms i didnt' not have b4 starting these meds... like now i wake up at night :( heart irregularities, anxiety, bad sinus pressure & my dizziness/lightheadedness is worse than ever!! I am scared to go back on the travacor & kavinace :( . I add something that i learn is good for one thing but find out it only makes one of my other deseases worse :( so i am exausted with trying to do the right thing & fix myself. I have given up being a vegan & slowly tried to introduce meat into my diet... i will try to stick to grass fed organic meats etc... in hopes that i can raise my iron since my doctor doesn't want to put me on iron supplements cause it will turn toxic according to her. :confused:

I am confused cause one of the things she gave me ingreases gabba & but my gabba results are elevated... why would she give me more?

I currently take Vitamin d3, go out in the sun (i never went out) calcium mag, zinc, b12 liquid, & want to add vitamin b complex & any other suggestions? I would like to find something natural without the horrible side effects of travacor to fix my adrenals. PLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASE!!! HELP!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to eat a gluten free diet, I never eat processed sugar, i eat sea salt(real salt brand), Brown rice farina(2servings) in the morning with sea salt, raw vanilla, & org cinnamon, either a green juice(with red/green leaf lettuce, granny smith apple, 2-3 cellery, 1 carrot, 1\4 bell pepper, or cooked kale/collards/greens for the morning, & for a snack i eat 6 brazil raw nuts or org brown rice (salt free) cake with tahinni & raw tiny bit of org honney. . I
Either beans with romaine lettuce tomatos, onions, lemon, & avocado for lunch or brown rice gluten free pasta with sauteed onions, tomato, x3-4 squash(green or yellow or mexican), or instead of the squash i will add brocolli & cauliflower (limit this 1-2x a week) Or sometimes i eat two eggs cooked in coconut org oil & salsa with a gluten free brown rice bread. I am trying to eat meat too but I don't know how to cook it? i know i did a bad thing by eating at carl's jr but i am so desperate to get rid of this dizziness & get my life back. :( . I bought some free range grass fed org chicken patties & want to learn how to cook them betr than the crappy instructions say...i want to bake them.
Here is a link of some of the info that scares me even more into not taking

Mark in Idaho 11-14-2011 02:54 PM

Your questions might be better in the Nutrition forum at http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum49.html

Rod243 02-19-2012 10:03 AM

New Diagnosis

Hi,

I read your post and you seem to be very knowledgeable about supplements. I was recently diagnosed with adrenal fatigue/exhaustion and have been prescribed travacor and calm-prt. I'm very weary of taking any pills because I believe in the body's ability to heal itself with a little help from nature. I am concerned though. I took the Calm-Prt and I noticed my anxiety flared up to the same point it began when I first noticed my body was going into exhaustion. :eek: The Travacor makes me very sleepy and it is hard to stay awake at work. Which makes me a bit confused because the prescription was to take it in the morning. I stopped taking the calm-prt altogether :( I'm a young gal and I have never been this sick in my life! This experience has been scary because I have been on a roller coaster ride of symptoms ranging from panic attacks, constant anxiety, insomnia, depression, GI disturbances, menstral irregularities, it's been horrible and it's already been almost 2 months since I've had symptoms. I've been doing everything from acupuncture, massage, herbs; I was even prescribed anti-anxiety and anti-depressants which I've never needed in my life! :holysheep: I never took the anti-depressant because I knew that pills were not the solution. So I was wondering if you had any suggestions that may help calm these flair-ups and allow my body to heal :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 625842)
Travacor is a mixture of some simple vitamins in low amounts,
and a proprietary mix of 3 things:
taurine
5-HTP
Theanine

They lump these 3 together and give a final dose of 900mg!

So you do NOT know what you are getting. How much of EACH.

I never recommend that people consider products with this way of detailing the ingredients.

The taurine and theanine are not likely to cause headache or side effects. The 5-HTP is likely to be difficult to tolerate for some people. But we don't know how much of this is in this product!

I don't care WHO makes things like this....if this type of listing occurs on a label... proprietary mixture, then AVOID it.

Adrecor is similar, only it has FIVE ingredients listed in this combined way, so you still don't know what your are getting!

mrsD 02-19-2012 10:13 AM

There is a poster here that is using Vit B5 for adrenal issues:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread165169.html

And:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread156416.html

These are two of his posts.

Once you post a short while, you'll be able to PM (private message him).

But you can go on either thread I linked to here, to discuss things with him openly.

Rod243 02-19-2012 10:28 AM

I feel Ur pain

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with adrenal fatigue/exhaustion and I too have been getting told to try this and to try that. I was placed on herbal therapy which seemed to help for a little while but then it reached a plateau. I was prescribed anti-anxiety and anti-depressants which I never took because I've never needed such things in my life and the side effects are considerable. :mad: So recently I was placed on travacor and clam-prt which I had a horrible paradoxical effect with the calm-prt. Instead of feeling calm it induced a massive anxiety attack from sleep, which is one of the symptoms I was having in the first place! :eek: The travacor was prescribed to me to be taken in the morning but it makes me so sleepy, so it doesn't make sense to take it before you start your day! So I feel your pain :hug: I'm totally trying to take a holistic approach because I too don't believe in western ideologies. I think pharmaceutical companies are out to make a buck. The intention of the medications are good but the side effects just end up breaking down other organ systems that probably started off healthy and then where are you at? Back to square one, only this time something else is broken :( I just ordered this stuff called Happy-Calm-Focused. It is a completely natural amino-acid nutritional based supplement that is suppose to help dramatically with brain function and regulation. They have a web-site if you google it so I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solesito (Post 824658)
So I tried the vegan diet then i began experiencing dizziness & then it lead me to other health problems... Found out i have both antibodies so i have hashimoto's, hypothyroidism, vitamin D deficient, & eveen though my Naturopath didnt say anything bad about my iron(said me normal) everyone that i show my results to said i am anemic.. The results are in range but the Iron in the high end & Ferritin in the low end. :( I did the adrenal test kit phrmasan labs & i am told they are a bit off even though steady. She gave me travacor & kavinace & naturethroid(thyroid med). So i started with the naturethroid & had heart irregularities & I added the travacor & kavinace & they increased & got worse. After 2 weeks+ of taking thyroid med i stopped cause it was getn worse! I continued with the travacor & kavinace (x2at bed time) & the heart issues seemed to get worse on 2x kavinace (2weeks+). I told my doc i wanted to stop all meds until i get rid of these heart issues! I am still waiting on them to go away. I am now left with symptoms i didnt' not have b4 starting these meds... like now i wake up at night :( heart irregularities, anxiety, bad sinus pressure & my dizziness/lightheadedness is worse than ever!! I am scared to go back on the travacor & kavinace :( . I add something that i learn is good for one thing but find out it only makes one of my other deseases worse :( so i am exausted with trying to do the right thing & fix myself. I have given up being a vegan & slowly tried to introduce meat into my diet... i will try to stick to grass fed organic meats etc... in hopes that i can raise my iron since my doctor doesn't want to put me on iron supplements cause it will turn toxic according to her. :confused:

I am confused cause one of the things she gave me ingreases gabba & but my gabba results are elevated... why would she give me more?

I currently take Vitamin d3, go out in the sun (i never went out) calcium mag, zinc, b12 liquid, & want to add vitamin b complex & any other suggestions? I would like to find something natural without the horrible side effects of travacor to fix my adrenals. PLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASE!!! HELP!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to eat a gluten free diet, I never eat processed sugar, i eat sea salt(real salt brand), Brown rice farina(2servings) in the morning with sea salt, raw vanilla, & org cinnamon, either a green juice(with red/green leaf lettuce, granny smith apple, 2-3 cellery, 1 carrot, 1\4 bell pepper, or cooked kale/collards/greens for the morning, & for a snack i eat 6 brazil raw nuts or org brown rice (salt free) cake with tahinni & raw tiny bit of org honney. . I
Either beans with romaine lettuce tomatos, onions, lemon, & avocado for lunch or brown rice gluten free pasta with sauteed onions, tomato, x3-4 squash(green or yellow or mexican), or instead of the squash i will add brocolli & cauliflower (limit this 1-2x a week) Or sometimes i eat two eggs cooked in coconut org oil & salsa with a gluten free brown rice bread. I am trying to eat meat too but I don't know how to cook it? i know i did a bad thing by eating at carl's jr but i am so desperate to get rid of this dizziness & get my life back. :( . I bought some free range grass fed org chicken patties & want to learn how to cook them betr than the crappy instructions say...i want to bake them.
Here is a link of some of the info that scares me even more into not taking