NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   How do I stop certain e-mails??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/13708-stop-mails.html)

MelodyL 02-17-2007 11:05 PM

How do I stop certain e-mails???

I have Outlook Express, and I am going crazy. And this is no joke. I get about 7 of these stupid e-mails every single day. Alway from different people with different e-mail addresses. I find out what the e-mail addresses are by clicking properties and the addresses come up. It is alway the same stock information about CHINA FRUIT CORPORATION. When I reply to them saying STOP SENDING ME THESE EMAILS!!!! I get "mailer daemon", no such address or something similiar. I can't block these on my Outlook Express because the subject matter is always different and the sender is always different.But the body of the letter is bascially the same. Take a look at the one I just got today!!!!

Then take a look at the nonsense that always accompanies the information after they give me the Symbol CHFR and how much it closes at. And there is absolutely no way to "unsubscribe" to these emails.

I do not for the life of me understand anything that is written after the stock information. Does any of this make any sense to anybody. and more important, WHAT ON EARTH CAN I DO TO GET PEOPLE TO STOP SENDING ME THIS ABOUT CHINA FRUITS CORPORATION?

This is a challenge. Anybody know what I can do?
Thanks, Melody
================================================== ======
Merrill Lynch Analyst Expects 50% Increase In Cost Of Oranges!

China Fruits Corporation
Symbol: CHFR
Close: $0.99 UP 17.86%

The orange crisis continues to mount as analysts' project the effect in
the market. The '91-'92 seasons loss of $760 Million caused a 60%
increase in oranges and this season is already estimating at $960
Million in losses. CHFR is a hot investment with unaffected crops
available to a desperate market. Act now and set your buy for CHFR first
thing Tuesday morning!

New employees are screaming for their system ids and have no way of
checking their id creation status. Other RFCS discuss security concerns
as well.
Summit, an annual conference that brings together the top video game
designers and developers and business leaders to discuss the state of
the industry.
This document focuses on the tools that can help you overcome any
learning curve that you face in performing LDAP queries.
Title: Comets and the origin and evolution of life Statement of
responsibility: Paul J.
Those questions and more are all quickly answered by Sherpa. Concerned
with security and performance aspect of search. After looking around a
bit, I see plenty of information on this topic.
Unfortunately, they are probably your approvers and will likely give you
the least amount of time and attention.
The result of this run will be various summary statistics which can be
used as part of your analysis. I used to test Coral Directory with LDAP
servers other than OpenLDAP. Results are currently stored in a LDAP
directory as well. " At the bottom of the top box select "Other Article
Options. I know we are still early in the recovery stage, and only God
knows what the outcome will be.
Vendors include Microsoft, Sun, IBM, Computer Associates, Critical Path,
Novell, and many others. To sign up for the Mac beta program or to view
the list of international countries Myst Online is currently available
in, please visit www.
This new adventure-driven take on the massively multiplayer online game
genre features the ongoing release of new content, including all-new
Ages and puzzles. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc.
Work: Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and the outer solar systemForm: text-
EnglishTitle: Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and the outer solar system
Statement of responsibility: Linda T. Business opportunities are being
missed.
Here is our modest attempt to correct this and provide suggested
solutions as well.
Some of the shows they list are:Discovery NewsEarth and Sky: New Radio
ShowsNature PodcastThe New Scientist PodcastScience FridayRead the full
article in the library.
I can't function, don't know what to do. Also, you may experience
"champion burnout" - where past champions who unsuccessfully tried to
sell the upgrade no longer wish to do it again.
Long-term fixes may be more directory servers, an improved replication
design including application modification, and better monitoring using
real-time detection of when the replication first fails.
They chip away at the blocks overhead, then jump up through the
resulting hole to the mountain's next level. Do I specify the benefits
of purchasing this product? Thanks in advance for your help.
To emphasize the multiplayer nature of the game, Wii Play comes packaged
with a Wii Remote. Some recommendations include: Benchmarking the Sun
One 5. Sadly, many products have not been updated in some time.
Deleting a key attribute, value, or entry.
It will return statistics such as number of search operations performed.
Once you have a full disk, you will have no logs of any problems, and
LDAP operations will shortly fail because there is no space left to
write to the database.
How are these future release features captured? Before relaxing in bed I
have been drinking 1-2 large mugs of strong Chamomile tea to relax The
low pressure makes me feel so weak and gives me feelings of faintness.
To sign up for the Mac beta program or to view the list of international
countries Myst Online is currently available in, please visit www.
Can you place a post-print copy of your paper on your website?
" At the bottom of the top box select "Other Article Options.
Using the LDAP Search URL format from a web browser address line.
Any suggestions on tappering off at this level of consumption?
All About Recovery What is Recovery?
Happy Marketing and good luck! Players play as Pit, a young angel
trapped in the Underworld, and Palutena's only hope.
Just keep at it and you will achieve your goal.
Akim ; translated by J. Browser address line not ideal for editing long
lines.
Each of these can potentially cause problems for LDAP administrations.
These threats can be thwarted by more challenging authentication
methods, using access control lists to limit authorizations, disabling
anonymous access, encrypted sessions, and more.
This continues the list discussed last month.
The release appears to be more stable then when previously reviewed.
"To see honors given to games as varied as Twilight Princess, Wii Sports
and Brain Age tells us the industry hungers for new ideas and great
games.
" At the bottom of the top box select "Other Article Options. For more
information about Wii Play, visit Wii. Published by GameTap and
developed by Cyan Worlds, Myst Online: Uru Live is the most recent
addition to the GameTap originals label. Also, the company may be
reluctant to hire outside consultants to perform the upgrade for various
reasons. Jeffrey Taylor, Stephen Mackwell, James Garvin.

Brian 02-17-2007 11:33 PM

If you can't block them at all, i would ask for another email address off my provider and be carefull who you give it out to, if i don't know who the email is from, i block the sender & delete them straight away.
Don’t give a Web site any personal information until you have checked the site’s privacy policy. If the policy provides a procedure for “opting out,” you may prevent your personal information from being shared with others or used for promotional purpose

Jomar 02-18-2007 02:30 AM

You can get a spam filter program or possibly your internet provider or email provider can help you set up a spam filter at their end.

Don't reply to those at all or try to unsubscribe from them because then you are just verifying that it is a active email account that they are sending to.

Chemar 02-18-2007 07:49 AM

Melody
I use the free version of mailwasher and it works really well
http://www.mailwasher.net/

you open up mailwasher first and all emails are listed, and you then can delete, block and bounce back any that are spam etc

after getting their emails bounced back at them unopened, the spammers get the message:winky:

mrsD 02-18-2007 08:14 AM

I delete everything from my spam box

Once in 100 or so a valuable mail gets put in the spam folder...

So I do scan sender a bit first. But I do not open ANYTHING when I do
not know the sender clearly. And never ever answer or unsubscribe!
That will get you so much grief.

I looked at a content once...and it was more psycho than yours.
Just disjointed words all jumbled up. I figure these have no purpose but to
carry a worm or virus into your machine. So I don't open anything anymore and just
delete delete delete... I was using the new Beta Yahoo and the spam got so
bad...I went back to the old version and it cleared up. I get spam in waves anyway.

MelodyL 02-18-2007 09:33 AM

Mrs. D. I'll do the mailwasher thing.

For some nutty reason, in my Outlook Express, there is NO SPAM FOLDER.

I tried calling up Verizon but they told me "we don't handle any questions about outlook express"

Bah humbug!!!!

But I shall try the mailwasher thing.

thanks so much.

melody

MelodyL 02-18-2007 01:36 PM

Mrs. D. I downloaded the mail washer. The Free one.

I installed it. Okay, no problems there.

Then it asked me to give my user name and password.

my user id was already there but when I put in the password (I never use a password to access my outlook express, so I have no idea why they are asking me for a password but I remember when I initially set up verizon dsl and my outlook express, I used the password I always use for stuff and so I put in the password an I get the following message.

"Authentication failed Bad Username or Password

So what on earth do I do now?

So mailwasher is still on my computer. I cannot access it so I can learn how to use it.

Thank goodness I can still access my Outlook Express.

any info????

melody

Jomar 02-18-2007 10:00 PM

If your email address is *****@verizon.com
you probably need to use the password for that.

I haven't used mailwasher but it must access and clean your email first before passing it on to Outlook express.

hopefully someone will have a better idea for you about the mailwasher set up.

MelodyL 02-18-2007 10:35 PM

Yeah, my e-mail is ****@verizon.net and I remember the password I first set up outlook express with. At least I think I remember it!!!!The dsl lady over the phone helped me set up my dsl line and my outlook. It's so long ago, who on earth remembers what I put in.

I never use a password to get any of my outlook mail.

I'm screwed....boo-hoo
And I just got 3 more dumb e-mails about the China Fruit Corporation.

I'm going to go there and hit somebody over the head at this China Fruit Corporation. I have no idea what my husband did but he is on SOMEONE'S MAILING LIST FOR THESE THINGS.

The odd thing is they are always from different people. And the subject line is something dumb that has nothing whatever to do with the subject matter.

This is very annoying. I keep hitting delete, delete delete.

I don't open anything. But honestly I don't have to open it. When I click on outlook express, the e-mail is already there on the bottom of my screen.

AAAARRRGGGHGGH!!!!

Jomar 02-18-2007 11:04 PM

you can go to the verizon website and do the" forgot my password " thing. they will send it to you or you will have to reset with a new one.

the link to it-
http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/site/msa/

look for this section-

Member Center

Services Area

You can change your password, view your bill, block spam from your inbox, create a personalized user name, and more. Learn more about Member Center.

Account Management Tools

* I forgot my password
* Change your password
* Change your account settings
* Change your secret question
* Manage your sub-accounts
* Parental Controls
* Check trouble ticket status

Manage Personal Settings

* Change Personal Information
* Marketing Preferences
* Change Publicly Viewable Information

Email

* Online Protection
* Account Linking
* Manage Mail Options

Billing Tools

* View your bill online
* Check your online usage
* Update your credit card information

MelodyL 02-19-2007 10:03 AM

You would think I would know these things. But since I use Outlook Express, I never remember that I have a Verizon account because I never go there to view my e-mail. I only use Outlook Express.

Well, I clicked on the link you provided me. I re-set my password.

Now, before I go and try to use the mail wash thing, there is one thing I have to know.

I have two outlook express accounts on my computer, one for me and one for my husband.

When I set up the mail washer thing, I only gave my information.

Even though I couldn't do the check mail thing, I did set up whatever I had to set up. So the software is installed and hopefully (because I have a new password), it will let me check my mail, etc.

Now here's my question. CAN I STILL (JUST IN CASE I DON'T WANT TO USE MAIL WASHER), CAN I STILL CLICK ON OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND CHECK MY MAIL THAT WAY??? And can my husband click on his mail and check his???

What I really want to know is does this mailwasher thing prevent me from accessing outlook express. Or will I always have to do the mailwasher thing?

I'm a bit confused about that?

Alan doesn't care about spam and stuff and the mailwasher thing would only confuse him so I downloaded it for me, not for his e-mail.

So if you can be so kind as to answer my couple of questions, I would be eternally grateful. You are a doll!!!

Thanks,
Melody

Chemar 02-19-2007 11:55 AM

Melody

yes, you can still view your mail direct in Outlook even tho you have it connected to mailwasher,,,opening your outlook first, before mailwasher, will download all your mail to your inbox on outlook automatically

and the free version is for one account only, so your husband's account is not affected

once you view your mail in mailwasher, and delete and bounce spam, you simply click "process mail" and it automatically opens and transfers all mail you have allowed into your outlook box

MelodyL 02-19-2007 12:45 PM

OOOHHH I love this. I hope it works. Going to give it a try.

Will get back and update.

THANKS SO MUCH.

Melody

MelodyL 02-19-2007 12:47 PM

Nope!!!! Didn't Work!!!!

since my user id was already in the place where user id's are, I put in my new password. Same thing popped up

authication failed - bad username or password.

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW???

MEL

Chemar 02-19-2007 01:10 PM

Melody
I would recommend uninstalling mailwasher and then downloading it again, this time using your new password when you set it up

there may be an easier way....but that is what I would do

Jomar 02-19-2007 02:00 PM

If that doesn't work go back to the verizon link and set it up there online to block the spam before it even gets downloaded to Outlook Express.
If you need help setting it up on verizion website they should be able to answer questions.
That should work also with out adding any program to your computer.

I have Verizon also but I only use that email address for important things {banking, pay bills etc.} - so i don't get any spam on it.

but they do have the option of setting up toss away email account names- so if it starts to get spam you just toss it and make a new one.

I use a free email account for forums and surfing the net and logging on to sites - just to keep my verizon email clean.

Only a few let you check email with Outlook Express anymore {called POP mail} though- otherwise you need to go to their website to get mail.{webmail}

spam blocking & email FAQ page info -verizon-
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/verizon/mail/
http://netservices.verizon.net/porta...box_protection

MelodyL 02-19-2007 03:54 PM

I Got It To Work!!!

Glory Be. I figured out that when I enter my user id I had to put @verizon.net in also.

Put me right through.

So I saw a whole bunch of mail. (I had done a friend's list) so there were two or three e-mails with friend marked in a column.

All the other stuff was spam. So I just clicked on the left side where it said delete, then I clicked process mail and went to my outlook express mailbox and only my friend's e-mails were there.

Now here's a stupid question. What is this really helping me do? If I went to outlook express straightaway, I would delete the same e-mails.
So isn't this having me do the same thing?

I think there should be a way that I can only get mail from my friends and everything else is bounced or blocked or something, right?

I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

One step at a time.

BUT AT LEAST I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!

Pat me on my head please.

Melody

and a big thanks to all of you

Jomar 02-19-2007 04:23 PM

basically i think it is so you don't have to go thru them one by one to delete them and the whole message isn't loaded so no possible viruses get passed on to your computer.

But this is just my general thought on spam filters - since I haven't used mailwasher myself.

you still can go to verizon and set up blocks - but usually the spammers don't use the same address or name to send the spam with - so it's hard to block all those when they keep changing them.

you can set up keywords to sort out the spam and block it or delete it right away with out you having to see it - just have it deleted or sent to trash folder.
Mailwasher might have settings for that - options or tools section?

nide44 02-19-2007 04:45 PM

Mel,
Its bothersome, but most spam filters have a setting that says :
'only allow mail from these addresses'.
Then you will only get stuff from your friends- but if you contact someone else, or do a business transaction and forget to add them to your list.........well ........they won't get through.
I don't know of any filter that can detect all spam- as spam, if the addresses keep changing (and they do- because the spammers
know how to do it. They keep defeating the system[s]).
My AOL spam filter does a fairly good job with the settings I have set, but I still have to go to the spam box to see if any real mail I wanted, got blocked. Then I retrieve it as 'not spam' but the program doesn't automatically learn from that action.
My medicaL insurance company, and a few of my clients are
always in the spam box.
Technology really hasn't made things all that easier,
they just claim it has.;(

greek geek 02-19-2007 07:48 PM

I hope your problems are resolved.

Outlook is NOT the actual email receiver/sender. It is a MS(Microsoft)based program that acts as an "interface" for you to make your life simpler(yeah, right!)

In other words...

"hotmail" "yahoo" "msn" all have their email accounts. The only difference is that your "outlook" is served by (usually) your ISP provider, which in your case, is Verizon.

Meaning-you are actually using a "verizon" account that uses the OUTLOOK interface.

If you were to have an "earthlink" account. You would use "outlook" as your interface.

Now, some people prefer using the Mozilla(firefox) email interface that is called "Thunderbird"

they claim to have additional filters and safe guards.

If you were to use "thunderbird" as your interface. You would still have "Verizon" as your email provider.

Bob is right about there are no absolute ways to filter out all spams. They are always a step ahead. I really doubt you are getting emails from the China Corp. More than likely, you are getting scrambled emails that uses other names to "phish" you.

For example. People send out spams using "Citicorp" but they are not affiliated at all with "Citicorp" but will tell you that you are pre-approved for a credit card. Once you've replied to them or go to their website, you've been "hooked" as a "phish"

And yes, you can have your filter setting to what Bob suggested and he's right in that anyone new that you want to exchange emails with, you'd have to make sure you add their names before hand. Otherwise, it'll goto the spam filter.

It sucks, doesn't it? *shrug...:cool:

greek geek 02-19-2007 07:51 PM

(nevermind...LOL)

Chemar 02-20-2007 07:54 AM

Melody

if instead of only deleting the spam emails, you use the BLACKLIST & BOUNCE features....the blacklist blocks them for future and the bounce send them an email saying your email addy cannot be accessed for delivery

both blocking and bouncing PREVENT those people from future spamming you, something just deleting doesnt do

also

on mailwasher at the top right you have a little box saying "show headers" when you want to look at an email Iyou view them in maiwasher by double clicking on the subject)

anyway, sometimes people send phising or masked emails pretending to be from say eBay or a bank...with the show headers feature, you can see where the emails truly originate from

MelodyL 02-20-2007 01:31 PM

These China Fruit Corporation e-mails I receive, well, I know they are NOT from the China Fruit Corporation. These emails (see the one I posted as an example in my initial post on this thread), these emails are from all different individuals that would like me to purchase the stock. I am always given the latest price of that stock. And when I try to reply, the mail comes back to me.
Now this could be the same guy using different e-mails (but why on earth is he doing this).

I get plenty of phish e-mails from ebay, banks, I know what to do with them.

I am going to learn this mailwasher thing.

Very interesting.

And I can't believe that at the age of 59 I'm talking about interfaces.

What a hoot!!!!!!

lol

Melody

Jomar 02-20-2007 02:30 PM

Melody
you can block the words China Fruit Corporation
probably with the mailwasher or you can do it with the outlook Express
or you can do it at the verizon website e-mail end.

so anything coming from China fruit corporation would totally be blocked and you wouldn't even see it -
don't even try to reply to that stuff it is all computerized phoney stuff.

the best way to block it would be directly right from the web site at verizon

CheCG 02-20-2007 03:03 PM

These are looking to prosper on your $$

These e-mails are looking to prosper on your investment in the stock since the spammer has likely invested in this stock and hopes that the people receiving the spam will buy it and the price will go up.

I get these types of emails all of the time for various companies, but all are listed under the pink sheets (i.e. penny stocks) that are not as regulated as the NASDAQ or NYSE, so they can get around some the laws that were setup to stop this type of fraud. Most of the companies that are advertised this way do not even know about it unless you let them know. If you ever decide to look into buying these types of stocks, I would strongly advise you to talk to a investing professional since a significant number of these companies doing some interesting accounting in order to make their companies look better than they really are. If you look at some of their financial statements that are available these companies often have negative balances meaning they are just waiting for the right time to file for bankruptcy or do a "reverse-merger" (something I still can't figure out). My advice for these companies, stay away until they prove themselves by moving up to the other markets.

As for all of the unintelligible junk at the bottom of the emails, these are ways that spammers use to get around the spam filters. Most filters look for specific words or phrases and determine if this is likely a spam or not and then routes the message to a specific folder.

I use google's g-mail which is able to get most of the spam into the spam folder where I look about once a week to clean up and find anything that was put there that is not really spam. After about one day I normally have at least 20 messages in my spam folder trying to get me to buy a stock, buy my medications from India or Canada, meet Russian women or some other ridiculous thing.

Finally, if you are successful in changing your e-mail address make sure it is not published somewhere on the internet. The spammers have devised software that scans the internet for what they believe are emails and create a list from that. This list is then sold to every other spammer in the world and you end up right where you started from.

Good luck with this.

Salvator 02-20-2007 07:49 PM

Blocking SPAM et.al.

Melody,

I'm a real newcomer to NeuroTalk; just started today. I am fairly proficient with computers but when it comes to blacking ALL SPAM from your eyes and still letting anyone with a valid reason get an e-mail to you, I don't think even Bill Gates can stop it!

You have gotten a lot of good advice from others. It should help you reduce SPAM, but there are two reasons why you can't completely stop it:
  1. The SPAMers keep changing their names and addresses in a way that you can't define a SPAM blocker rule that can detect all unwanted e-mail,
  2. Many of the SPAMers are using graphics based messages instead of text based messages and graphics is almost impossible to filter.
What I mean by graphics based is they are sending a picture of their message instead of a typewritten message. While your brain can read a picture as well as typewritten or handwritten messages, e-mail programs (at least the ones I'm aware of) can't do that.....yet! There are optical scanning programs that can read and convert graphical letters and numbers, but they are not 100 % effective and would be easy to trick by SPAMers.

So for the time being, at least, all of us are stuck with some SPAM, unless you want to limit receiving mail from only a specific list of adresses.

Good luck.

Salvator

MelodyL 02-20-2007 10:15 PM

Chemar:

You said the following:

if instead of only deleting the spam emails, you use the BLACKLIST & BOUNCE features....the blacklist blocks them for future and the bounce send them an email saying your email addy cannot be accessed for delivery

both blocking and bouncing PREVENT those people from future spamming you, something just deleting doesnt.

How do I do this?? I can't find anywhere to blacklist and bounce any of my emails. I opened up the spam tools and opened up the blacklist panel, then I tried to drag and drop an e-mail into the black list thing. Nothing happened.

I don't see any place where it tells you to bounce anything.

All it really gives me the option to do is put a check in the box under the colum marked DELETE, then when I hit process mail, my outlook express opens up and none of the unwanted emails are there. So that part I get.

Maybe I can't bounce because I'm using the free version of mailwash and not the mailwasher pro?

Do you think I 'm doing something wrong?

melody

P.S. Thanks for the information, Salvator

Chemar 02-21-2007 09:16 AM

Melody

along the bottom line of Mailwasher should be columns for Delete, Blacklist, Bounce, Status, Size, From, Subject, Sent, Account
and there should be checkboxes for Delete, Blacklist, Bounce and then the rest of the info is filled out automatically re the email

that is what my version looks like and I too use the free downloaded one for a single account:confused:

MelodyL 02-21-2007 10:02 AM

Chemar:

Okay, all the things you say are at the bottom of your mailwasher, well, they are AT THE TOP OF MY MAILWASHER. I figured out that I had to go to tools, options, display and I checked where it said BLACKLIST, AND BOUNCE.

Now, I opened up and checked my mail and it let me blacklist stuff, BUT IT WOULDN'T LET ME BOUNCE ANYTHING.

When I checked an item in the bounce column, a little window popped up informing me that "bounce is not an option", or something to that effect.

Now if you have a free mailwasher, and I have a free mailwasher, and you can bounce, THEN I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BOUNCE, RIGHT??

So tell me WHY CAN'T I BOUNCE ANYTHING?

It must be something I'm doing, or not doing.

So I got everything I need, but I just need to know how to BOUNCE???

Kind of like rock n roll!!!!

I LOVE LEARNING THIS STUFF. KEEPS ME YOUNG.

Melody

Chemar 02-21-2007 10:24 AM

Hi Melody

sorry, by bottom line I meant the bottom line of the three lines at the top of mailwasher:o

I have no idea why it isnt allowing you to bounce? Very puzzling as I have never had a problem with bouncing any emails...it always shows that option

Maybe check your options in case you have that turned off...or check their "help" section to see if that gives any clues....you can also contact them thru their website for assistance.

MelodyL 02-21-2007 01:07 PM

Will do, matey!!!

Thanks so much

Melody

MelodyL 02-21-2007 01:34 PM

Verizon can't help me!!!!!

First I went (by myself) to the Verizon home page and looked up my account and went to my emal and clicked on options and block senders, etc. and it only allows me to block an e-mail.

Since all these people (who send me stuff on China Fruit Corporation), well, they never use the same e-mail address, and I kept looking to see if there was an option that would allow me to stop getting e-mail from people who have the word "foreclosure", or "survey" or "free gift", in the subject matter, well it does not indicate this.

So I called up verizon dsl technical support and she tried by remote to see ho we could do this but she admitted that there is no way.

I can only block emails by indicating an e-mail address. I told her that they use different e-mail addresses and isn't there a way I can block by subject matter or certain words and she said "no, it doesn't work that way".

So I'm screwed.

So unless you know how I can block e-mails by subject matter or by certain words, I guess I'll keep hitting the delete button.

But really, THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO NOT GET AN E-MAIL WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER "FORECLOSURE" IN IT, right?????

Thanks,
Mel

Jomar 02-21-2007 03:10 PM

hmm - well if verizon can't help - i would have thought they could.

I use the McAfee total protection software,
and I also use the Outlook Express settings and set it to divert any stuff like that that gets thru.

when you get one of those messages highlight it and then go up to the message section up top and go down to
create rule from message

then follow the steps to do that.
you can set it to send those straight to junk or trash folder.

MelodyL 02-21-2007 03:43 PM

REALLY????

I LOVE YOU!!!!

will try.

melody

Jomar 02-21-2007 06:59 PM

well I just got a china fruit spam too - what I said earlier doesn't work because it is a image - at least the one I got is.

-like Salvator mentioned {Many of the SPAMers are using graphics based messages instead of text based messages and graphics is almost impossible to filter.}

the china fruit co part is in a color/tinted box, and the rest of the message is about the weather.

sooo - i guess all we can do is just delete them ourselves.
unless someone else has a idea.

Curious 02-21-2007 07:05 PM

ok...the bad monkey hasn't read the entire thread. :o

but don;t you have a "report spam" button with your email?

i never open emails from anyone i don;t know. i hit the repost spam button. my isp will block all emails from those carriers if they get enough reports.

i also have "keywords" that i can enter and it blocks all those.

good luck melody. i know spam emails can be a pain and you never know if they have a virus.

MelodyL 02-21-2007 10:20 PM

Guess what I did!!!

I followed the rules give to me about the "create a new rule" or something like that and I put in keywords etc. etc. and from now on (if this thing works) I won't be getting anything with China Fruit Company, or anything about mortgages, or refinancing.

And I learned how to bounce. The mailwasher people replied to my email and told me how to re-set the options so now I can bounce.

So I guess all I can say is thank you so much to all of you who have shown me how to CONQUER SPAM!!!!!!

At least untl Spam conquers us!!!!!!

lol

thanks much

Melody

MelodyL 02-22-2007 12:14 PM

You Will Never Guess What Happened!!!!!

I woke up, walked over to the computer and there are three green lights and ONE RED LIGHT where it says INTERNET, on my modem.

I go to myself UH OH!!!!

I start my computer, everything is working fine, I click on "internet explorer" and the software loads up but THERE IS NO INTERNET CONNECTION.
The light that is always green is now clear. NO RED, NO GREEN, NO COLOR.

I knew immediately I had no signal going through.

I call Verizon and listen to a message that "there was an outage in parts of New York, but that it is all fixed now". I look at my computer and go "oh really? I don't think so"

I call up Verizon and tell the tech guy what's happening and he goes. No, New York is running just fine". I go "so what is happening to my dsl line".

He has me put in all sorts of addresses in the url place. He has me go to start, run, typing in this and that. NOTHING WORKED. I'm going, oh my god, my modem broke or New York Is down, etc. etc.

Then I tell him "Oh, I recently changed my password to my verizon account (about 2 days ago). He goes "that's it"!!!

I said "what's it"??? this was 2 days ago and I've been accessing my mail, etc. going online". He goes, Believe me, that's it", when a person resets their verizon account password, they have to reset their modem".

I had no idea what he is talking about. So he walks me through all these steps. Then (and this is the important part because nothing was working, he had me hold down the control key (that was blocking the pop up stuff) and finally a MODEM SET UP WIZARD comes up on the screen.

This whole thing from beginning to end took one hour. I was so excited to see the green light come back on, I can't tell you.

Then I go to mailwasher pro AND IT DOESN'T WORK. Took me one minute to figure out I had to go to accounts, put my new password in, ETC. ETC.

All I can say is 'WHEW"!!!!!

I may be getting old but I CAN STILL LEARN AND DO STUFF!!!!

http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif

mel

Jomar 02-22-2007 12:22 PM

yeah for you your learning it !!

- I thought they would have you reset your dsl modem.
to do that you turn it off for 30-60 seconds and sometimes turn computer off too.
then start it all back up

i do this when internet connections seems to be dragging and slow

MelodyL 02-22-2007 01:25 PM

Oh, I never thought of doing that. So the next time I see that the internet is running slower than it is supposed to, do I re-set the modem?

Do I unplug the modem for 60 seconds and re-plug it in? Or do I do what the tech guy had me do? He had me take a pen, and go to the back of the modem and hold in the red thing for 30 seconds.

That is the same thing as re-setting???? Am I correct?

Melody

P.S. What else does re-setting the modem do? Do I have to re-enter any passwords or anything like that?