NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Google Chrome Browser (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/67401-google-chrome-browser.html)

Chemar 12-24-2008 08:12 PM

Google Chrome Browser

I just downloaded it and wow!!!! it is fast and nifty :D
http://www.google.com/chrome

who moi 12-25-2008 12:55 PM

I played with the beta version and it needed tweaking...

haven't tried this one yet...

how do you like it compared to firefox or IE, cheri??

:)

who moi 12-25-2008 12:57 PM

PS, I do want to make a WARNING

it is ONLY for Windows XP SP2 and later only and for Windows VISTA

if one doesn't have their XP updated to SP2, please do NOT download this browser...

:)

going to go try it now...:)

who moi 12-25-2008 01:09 PM

OK, I am using it now...it's good, it's fast...

they really tweaked it well from the beta version... :D

the page display is a little different and can get some taking used to...

the brightness is a little bit harsh on the eyes....maybe it is just me....

but it is FAST....

and in reading the specs and thanks to it's affiliates, it's going to have major security on the browsing system...probably even better than firefox

cool features: it's got built in spell check so as I am typing it is highlighting everything that I've misspelled....uh oh, Frank and Alpho, you two are in trouble....LOLOLOL

I like the incognito mode....and you get MORE page vs. the IE and firefox browsers (they take those up with the menu and tool bars..

nice!

who moi 12-25-2008 01:19 PM

OK, more cool features...

thumb nails on the tab so we don't have to guess what page that tab is...! LOL Cool!!

incognito browsing is pretty cool whenever you want to vew something without it in your history...that means you don't give away your cookies! LOL

who moi 12-25-2008 01:29 PM

OK, this is going to sound weird...I am comparing IE and Chrome side by side

and it might be just me, but chrome has made my IE faster...:thud:

who moi 12-25-2008 01:31 PM

this is the FAQ page

Dixie_Amazon 12-25-2008 01:35 PM

I will be glad when has a few more Plug-ins I am fond off. I think I read on LifeHacker.com that when tested it recently and it came in faster than the other popular browsers.

who moi 12-25-2008 01:39 PM

yeah, I am testing those out right now also...

I think it'll get more support with the plug-ins if people start to support the browser...

there are still stuff to be tweaked, but I am really digging it right now... :)

I just went to a known unsecure site (phishing) on purpose using the browser, it didn't let me through...so, the security seems up to par with firefox. :)

Lara 12-25-2008 09:04 PM

G'day Moi.
You still use a Mac as well these days?

Dixie_Amazon 12-26-2008 12:21 AM

I use AI RoboForm and it is not supported, although the RoboForm site says they will look into the possibility of integration. I am not going to hold my breath since they said the same about a Mac version that has never come to pass. I guess if Chrome gets popular enough they might accelerate their plans.

SandyC 12-26-2008 01:02 AM

Thank you!

who moi 12-26-2008 04:51 PM

LOL Lara, I wish I was still on a Mac, got converted to the PC world a few years back...then got MS certified (basic) and now I am talking with moss about our next puter being a MAC...but I keep on fixing the puters...:mad: LOLOL

sure do miss my old Mac...that Bondi Blue! :D

SandyC 12-26-2008 05:43 PM

Well, Google didn't work for me. It keeps shutting down my IE. Flash is doing that too. Pfft!

who moi 12-26-2008 05:47 PM

you made sure you have SP2 on your XP, Sandy??

SandyC 12-26-2008 06:23 PM

I have Vista babay!

weegot5kiz 12-26-2008 06:48 PM

it is faster, trying to figure out how to make yahoo my home page:Doh:

transferred all my links from firefox, I am not a google fan, generally not found of having my searches catalogged and or distributed

i got it running on vista neener neener neener lol j/k Sandy

weegot5kiz 12-26-2008 07:17 PM

I have it running on our tower (XP)and its not bad it is faster than FF, but shall see as the carpadm gets loaded on it, but so far I do like it

weegot5kiz 12-26-2008 07:18 PM

oh and it has an incognito window for when you are in a secretasian man mode

weegot5kiz 12-26-2008 07:22 PM

Sandy why are you using IE with the google? or did I miss what you were saying

SandyC 12-26-2008 10:34 PM

My IE is my default web browser, always been. My neighbor has the same problem with his IE. Comcast says it's something with them. Who knows. It's all good. I'll live without it. lol

Koala77 12-27-2008 04:40 AM

I use Firefox and I must say this sounds good.

I do think I'll wait a while though, until more of our "computer wizards" have had a say about it! :D

Just waiting on more information......

weegot5kiz 12-29-2008 01:25 PM

well so far it is quicker but I must say I and or my system and the new browser do not like the spell check thingy, any one else with spell check issues?

Dixie_Amazon 01-02-2009 10:35 AM

I know it doesn't work with ieSpell and I am very dependent on it.

ewizabeth 01-02-2009 11:18 AM

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 at work. Would that support it? :confused: I have Vista Home Premium at home so that's not a problem.

ewizabeth 01-02-2009 11:22 AM

Ok, so this replaces Internet Explorer... Or you can use it in addition to IE, right? I'm just thinking that lots of the business websites I have to use might have compatibility issues with a new browser. :confused:

Chemar 01-02-2009 01:43 PM

Hi Wiz
I keep IE (version 6 as I have too many bugs with 7 &8) for some of my biz sites that arent compatible with firefox or chrome and use the other 2 for when i need speed. I am finding chrome especially good for the forums and media stuff, but prefer ff for listing on ebay and my other sites

Jomar 01-02-2009 02:44 PM

You can have as many browser programs as you want on your computer & just open/use the one you like at the time.
Unless there is some sort of system restriction or issues.

I have had IE, FF, Flock and daughter wants me to try Opera next. I think I did yrs ago..
I haven't got around to trying Chrome yet though.
One of these days...

Peter B 01-03-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo55 (Post 437715)
You can have as many browser programs as you want on your computer & just open/use the one you like at the time.
Unless there is some sort of system restriction or issues.

I have had IE, FF, Flock and daughter wants me to try Opera next. I think I did yrs ago..
I haven't got around to trying Chrome yet though.
One of these days...

I tried Chrome as a result of this topic, but discarded it and went back to Firefox.
Chrome seems to be very basic, and without the useful features of IE and firefox.

LavandulaCanadensis 01-03-2009 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
that's interesting to see everyone's feedback...

i have windows xp with service pack 3… my actual browser is internet explorer

2 weeks ago, i had downloaded firefox (3.0.4.) (french version ) but i found that the brightness was really bothering me too much… it was kind of very slightly glittering… i had both browsers opened on the same webpage to compare...

when i realized that it was not the last version available… which is 3.0.5., i uninstalled it… i’m planning to install the newest version this weekend…

i must say that i’m very photosensitive (i have epilepsy petit mal) and can’t look at a regular screen (computer or tv) unless it’s LCD !

we have to keep IE, as some sites will only work it it, like the miscoroft updates... from what i understood on another forum… i'm still learning... and i'm glad to hear some good comments on firefox...

i’ll report after installing… and using it a bit… :p i'll check if we have a thread specifically on firefox... not to stain this chrome thread with firefox hair ! :D

i wish you all have a wonderful 2009... keeping in mind that when having fun with our computers it releases endorphins… our natural morphine… without any other side effects… than addiction !! :D

Attachment 4258

Jomar 01-03-2009 02:54 AM

Lavandula,
Firefox has lots of themes that you can add on very easily by using the Tools on the menu bar and going to the Add-ons section.

here is the link to the themes and other add ons if you want to see what styles/colors there are-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...=100&sort=name

I also downloaded the nvidia driver program for my video card - with it I can really fine tune adjustments -the color/contrast/brightness/clarity of my display so it is easy on my eyes too. Much easier than adjusting with the monitor buttons.

you might have a different video card/brand but if you know the brand name you can go to the website and see if an update/upgrade is available.

LavandulaCanadensis 01-04-2009 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jo55,

Quote:

I also downloaded the nvidia driver program for my video card - with it I can really fine tune adjustments -the color/contrast/brightness/clarity of my display so it is easy on my eyes too. Much easier than adjusting with the monitor buttons.
this is particularly interesting... i also have a nvidia card, so i'll download this if i don't already have it (i'll check that later today)... i'll try to read everything we have on firefox on this forum... then download it probably later on today... i browsed through the add-ons and skins yesterday... some are really interesting... and some comments mades by users are quite useful to read before downloading the add-ons!

thanks a lot... :D

Attachment 4262

weegot5kiz 01-04-2009 08:05 AM

i am leaning to my firefox still there is no search window on the chrome and or have not figured how to use it and the spell check thats a serious issue with me and my perfect spelling:yikes:, there are so many features to firefox i will take the few seconds slower it is and use firefox, me thinks, maybe if they get some good add ons and a few more tweaks, we will see