NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Some blood test results (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/174248-blood-test-results.html)

billygee 08-03-2012 01:53 PM

Some blood test results

Gotta a call this morning.My appt for 8/9 was rescheduled again for the 2nd time, now it's 9/20. So i made a few calls and what i found out was
Anti-Mag-Neg
Vit E- normal
Copper-normal
Cpk- Normal
other blood test she couldn't read.
I already knew my 3hr glucose #'s
12 hr fast 103
1/2hr after drinking that sugar drink 162
1hr 151
2hr 89
3hr 58

One thing thow i might be able to view the other blood test and nerve & biospy results online next week. maybe.

Nervous1 08-07-2012 08:14 AM

Test Results - Negative?

Quote:

Originally Posted by billygee (Post 902930)
Gotta a call this morning.My appt for 8/9 was rescheduled again for the 2nd time, now it's 9/20. So i made a few calls and what i found out was
Anti-Mag-Neg
Vit E- normal
Copper-normal
Cpk- Normal
12 hr fast 103
1hr 151
2hr 89
3hr 58

One thing thow i might be able to view the other blood test and nerve & biospy results online next week. maybe.

Billygee,
I am going through the same thing that you are right now. I have had 9 different blood tests all of which come back as normal and I have a skin biopsy scheduled for this Friday. I have all the symptoms of some type of Neuropathy but not a Dx. I am assuming that the nerve biopsy I will have will be negative as well and then I am left to continue the fight on my own while my neuro scratches his head like Colombo!
Has anyone else had this issue with the tests? Do I have to sit around waiting to get worse before I get a Dx?
Any suggestions or responses are greatly appreciated!

billygee 08-07-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nervous1 (Post 903895)
Billygee,
I am going through the same thing that you are right now. I have had 9 different blood tests all of which come back as normal and I have a skin biopsy scheduled for this Friday. I have all the symptoms of some type of Neuropathy but not a Dx. I am assuming that the nerve biopsy I will have will be negative as well and then I am left to continue the fight on my own while my neuro scratches his head like Colombo!
Has anyone else had this issue with the tests? Do I have to sit around waiting to get worse before I get a Dx?

I know how you fell.At least with me they found something with my biospys. Now i can read all my blood test online from 2001 to now.They all look good.Last dec my Ac1 was 5.2 My b-12 is low 379 and in 2001 my LEUKOCYTES was high 12.1. All my blood test done last may all look good.??? and i had a doctor said something about poor circulation. lol Nervous1 i hope the skin biopsy helps.

ShannEL 12-14-2012 07:12 PM

Yes you are not alone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nervous1 (Post 903895)
Billygee,

You are not alone I saw a neurologist and told him everything and he is also stratching his head, but unlike your doc he refuses to do anymore test because quote unquote the one emg/ncv came back normal so you are fine. Or he accuses me of researching etc.. How can I be researching when I am asking questions and describing how I feel I am not the doc he is... I m not making things up or have some sort of conversion disorder. If you have any luck or any further luck with doctors let me because I would like to see that doc.. IF anyone finds any doctor to is able to not only admit other docs mistake and see someone from the head don nd fully examine a person let me know because I would like to see that doctor.

Stacy2012 12-14-2012 08:25 PM

Your blood glucose numbers look high to me....what did your doctor say?

billygee 12-15-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy2012 (Post 939616)
Your blood glucose numbers look high to me....what did your doctor say?

They use 70-105 range.No more deep fryed foods and i've been taking Barleans fish oil swirl omega 3,6,9 and great news i was retested 11/2 and my glucose is 90 plus my cholesterol went down from 198 to 188.My HDL was138 now is 121 and my LDL was 45 now is 47

mrsD 12-15-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billygee (Post 902930)
Anti-Mag-Neg
Vit E- normal
Copper-normal
Cpk- Normal
12 hr fast 103
1hr 151
2hr 89
3hr 58

Your tests show a reactive hypo- glycemia which can indicate insulin resistance. You can get another blood test... fasting INSULIN level, and see if that is elevated. That would confirm.

You should be watching your carb intake, and avoiding sugar, which will swing you high then low. (sugar stimulates insulin excess). Lows also affect nerves, lows starve them.

Stacy2012 12-15-2012 08:34 AM

I agree with MrsD.

I would be watching those blood glucose numbers, especially 1hr post meal numbers, as that is when it spikes. Spiking numbers can cause damage to body, organs, cause PN long before a doctor ever gives you a diagnosis of diabetes.

Anytime your numbers spike above 140, damage can occur.

Doctors don't care until it's too late.

mrsD 12-15-2012 09:15 AM

I think you accidentaly reversed your cholesterol LDL and HDL numbers, Billy.

Fried foods? There are studies coming out now showing eating fried foods increases stroke risk. This was done in Southern states that commonly have fried food more often than Northern ones.

This was done only in women for some reason, but I'd apply the warning to men as well.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...ts-stroke-risk

Size of meals also affects blood sugar levels, so keeping meals smaller, and having good snacks in between will give you better numbers as well.

These treatment protocols change very rapidly today, many doctors may hold on to older ranges and ideas, so people receive very different responses from doctors today.

I am NOT seeing test results for the two most important vitamins involved with PN pain:

B12
Vit D

Did you have them done?

billygee 12-15-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 939692)
I think you accidentaly reversed your cholesterol LDL and HDL numbers, Billy.

Fried foods? There are studies coming out now showing eating fried foods increases stroke risk. This was done in Southern states that commonly have fried food more often than Northern ones.

This was done only in women for some reason, but I'd apply the warning to men as well.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...ts-stroke-risk

Size of meals also affects blood sugar levels, so keeping meals smaller, and having good snacks in between will give you better numbers as well.

These treatment protocols change very rapidly today, many doctors may hold on to older ranges and ideas, so people receive very different responses from doctors today.

I am NOT seeing test results for the two most important vitamins involved with PN pain:

B12
Vit D

Did you have them done?

9 months ago my B-12 was 379 , Vit D 34 , copper 88. I'm being retested . for vit B-6, B-12, copper,and these are new > RPR, hemoglogin, immuno fixation, Serum Protein Electrophoresis, and another that shows how the blood clots at differant temperatures. I should know the results in a few weeks. In the past yr they done at least 30 blood test, too many to count.Also they found a problem with my blood cells when the did a nerve biopsy and i have issues with my back to boot.

Stacy2012 12-15-2012 09:56 AM

Your B12 is low.

B12 is something you should try asap.

billygee 12-15-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy2012 (Post 939698)
Your B12 is low.

B12 is something you should try asap.

Yes i know.Been taking B-12 tabs for over 6 months.

Stacy2012 12-15-2012 11:09 AM

well then I guess you are satisfied with your blood test results. :)

billygee 12-15-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy2012 (Post 939716)
well then I guess you are satisfied with your blood test results. :)

i'll know in a few weeks what my new B-12 results are plus other blood test.I'm hoping its higher from 9 months ago which was 379 at that time.

billygee 12-19-2012 11:52 PM

Got back some blood tests.
Immunofixation Electrophoresis -Neg -Not sure what this means> Comments: see SPEP report (SYSC 12 38719)
ALBUMIN 4.64 g/dl Reference Range>4.0-5.1
ALPHA 1 GLOBULIN/PROTEIN.TOTAL 0.17 g/dl Reference Range>0.11-0.32
ALPHA 2 GLOBULIN/PROTEIN.TOTAL 0.58 g/dl Reference Range> 0.5-1.0
BETA GLOBULIN/PROTEIN.TOTAL 0.64 g/dl Reference Range> 0.5-1.0
GAMMA GLOBULIN/PROTEIN.TOTAL 0.66 g/dl Reference Range>0.5-1.3
PROTEIN 6.7 g/dl Reference Range>6.2-8.0
Normal serum protein electrophoretic pattern. No paraprotein identified after immunofixation electrophoresis.

COPPER 114 ug/dL Reference Range>72-166 Was 88
HEMOGLOBIN A1C/HEMOGLOBIN.TOTAL 5.0 Was 5.2
Vitamin B12 -727 pg/ml Was 379

glenntaj 12-20-2012 07:23 AM

This, actually--

--is a very good set of blood test results a lot of us wish we had.

The most important thing is that your immunolgobulin profile came back normal--they did the more sensitive immunofixation electrophoresis and identified no monoclonal or m-proteins which might point to various blood diseases and cancers. And you quantitative immunoglobulin levels are quite normal.

Wish I had those hemoglobin A1c numbers. (I'm due for another test myself in three weeks.)

That's a nice jump in B-12 levels compared to the last series of tests, but with neurological symptoms you may want to get in up even higher--how much B12 are you currently taking, and in what form?

mrsD 12-20-2012 08:24 AM

Billy, did you stop taking the B12 for a week before the tests?

If you didn't, then your higher number may reflect your intake and not be stable.

billygee 12-20-2012 08:28 AM

glenntaj Thanks. I'm taking 1000mg in tablet form.I know thats a big jump in my B-12 & my cooper went up as well i'm happy with as well as the rest of the blood tests..My glucose used to be in the high 80's. A1C 5.0=101 avg that still needs more work.They didn't check my Vit D this time last april it was at 34. Still waiting on 3 more blood tests.Going for new round of MRI test today for my lumbar & thoracic spine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 941089)
--is a very good set of blood test results a lot of us wish we had.

The most important thing is that your immunolgobulin profile came back normal--they did the more sensitive immunofixation electrophoresis and identified no monoclonal or m-proteins which might point to various blood diseases and cancers. And you quantitative immunoglobulin levels are quite normal.

Wish I had those hemoglobin A1c numbers. (I'm due for another test myself in three weeks.)

That's a nice jump in B-12 levels compared to the last series of tests, but with neurological symptoms you may want to get in up even higher--how much B12 are you currently taking, and in what form?

billygee 12-20-2012 08:36 AM

mrsD, no.I'm pretty sure i didn't take any the day of the test and may not of taking any a day or two prior.I'll bring that up to my doctor and when i get retested for my cholesterol in march i'll have my B-12 recheck again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 941096)

If you didn't, then your higher number may reflect your intake and not be stable.

BlueSkyBaby 12-20-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy2012 (Post 939690)
I agree with MrsD.

I would be watching those blood glucose numbers, especially 1hr post meal numbers, as that is when it spikes. Spiking numbers can cause damage to body, organs, cause PN long before a doctor ever gives you a diagnosis of diabetes.

Anytime your numbers spike above 140, damage can occur.

Doctors don't care until it's too late.

My damn doctor has drawn a line in the sand at 7.0 HBA1C for any intervention. That's an average blood sugar of around 170 I believe, and I am paying dearly for it. Can't believe I bought his indifference.

Stacy2012 12-20-2012 06:05 PM

Sadly most doctors are way too late to the game. It's usually out of control by the time a dr will give a diabetes diagnosis.

My moms husband gets spikes of 200 and above and the dr said since it comes back down to lower numbers in 2 hours he should just try to change his eating habits....WHAT?

Sometimes its the dang doctors that kill us. That and our stupidity to simply believe everything they say.

billygee 12-20-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSkyBaby (Post 941198)
My damn doctor has drawn a line in the sand at 7.0 HBA1C for any intervention. That's an average blood sugar of around 170 I believe, and I am paying dearly for it. Can't believe I bought his indifference.

BlueSkyBaby, once my cholesterol hit 88 my doctor put me on cholesterol meds>simvastatin which who knows i might be paying the price for taking a simvastatin then changed me to pravastatin.I need to talked to my doctor to put me on a cholesterol thats a non statin.

billygee 12-20-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 941096)

MrsD, talked to nurse today and i have to update my med info with what Vits i'm taking and if i didn't take a B-12 pill that day then the 727 is a real number.Basically with B-12 the body will only absorb what it can and the rest goes out when you urinate.I wonder what caused my copper to go up from 88 to 114

mrsD 12-20-2012 08:13 PM

The B12 takes 72 hrs to be removed from the blood ....
This link says 6 days...but I have a pharmacology text that says 72 hrs. The 1/2 life is in the far right of this link and on other from medical sites on Google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12
Half life is one half of the total time it takes the vitamin to leave the serum.
This is another link:
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...rm+@DOCNO+2850

You have to discontinue it at least 3 days or more to get an accurate reading when taking supplements. Supplements being taken always give a higher than normal reading when tests are done, because the ranges were made with NO SUPPLEMENTS present.

I wouldn't expect a nurse to know what the absorption or excretion of B12 would be. Only about 13mcg are absorbed anyway from the GI tract. I have the studies on the B12 thread here.

People taking their B12 correctly orally often get levels of 1000 or more on testing after several months.

billygee 12-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 941266)
The B12 takes 72 hrs to be removed from the blood ....
This link says 6 days...but I have a pharmacology text that says 72 hrs. The 1/2 life is in the far right of this link and on other from medical sites on Google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12
Half life is one half of the total time it takes the vitamin to leave the serum.
This is another link:
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...rm+@DOCNO+2850

You have to discontinue it at least 3 days or more to get an accurate reading when taking supplements. Supplements being taken always give a higher than normal reading when tests are done, because the ranges were made with NO SUPPLEMENTS present.

I wouldn't expect a nurse to know what the absorption or excretion of B12 would be. Only about 13mcg are absorbed anyway from the GI tract. I have the studies on the B12 thread here.

People taking their B12 correctly orally often get levels of 1000 or more on testing after several months.

Thanks MrsD, Thats why i love this board lots of good info. I'll retest in march.

glenntaj 12-21-2012 06:01 AM

Btw--

--though that hemoglobin A1c number translates into an average blood glucose number of 101, a 5.0 would be much better in terms of fasting blood glucose; the average would be of all states over time, including after eating. It probably points to a fasting blood glucose in the low/mid 80's, which I'd take any day. a 5.0 level is quite commendable. (Mine is around 5.7 right now, which is listed at the borderline for impaired glucose tolerance, and my fasting blood glucose is right around 100-105. I'm fighting to get it down below that level and have lost about 10 pounds with modifications in diet and lots of exercise since the last draw--I'm just hoping the holiday season doesn't cause too much compromise.)

mrsD 12-21-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billygee (Post 941259)
BlueSkyBaby, once my cholesterol hit 88 my doctor put me on cholesterol meds>simvastatin which who knows i might be paying the price for taking a simvastatin then changed me to pravastatin.I need to talked to my doctor to put me on a cholesterol thats a non statin.

88? Is that LDL? Do you have a stent or cardiac bypass?
That is really low IMO. Please research the posts here... type "statin" into out search engine, for recent discussions on side effects etc.

billygee 12-21-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 941405)
88? Is that LDL? Do you have a stent or cardiac bypass?
That is really low IMO. Please research the posts here... type "statin" into out search engine, for recent discussions on side effects etc.

Mrs.D, sorry i meant was my glucose use to be 88.When my total Cholesterol hit 223 they put me on a statin now its 188.One doctor did make a comment about the use of a statin and the timing of whats going on is suspect. Yes i did search about statins and i emailed my doc today and i want off of them.

billygee 12-21-2012 09:37 AM

Got results on one more blood test.Cryoglobulin Qual Blood>None Detected at 72 hours.I starting to think my problem is from the statin i'm taking.Waiting on 2 more test i think, plus what my new mri might show.

mrsD 12-21-2012 10:03 AM

That is a relief that those cryoglobulins are normal. This is an untreatable condition and can be very debilitating, and some have to even MOVE to warmer climates etc.

Do you know what your cholesterol was before the statin?

You will be interested to learn a new form of drug that is NOT a statin is being investigated, and is supposed to be better. We'll see on that. According to some new research lowering cholesterol at all by any means is not a good idea.

This researcher is working independent of drug company money and is finding out interesting things.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/

There are some very interesting YouTubes with her too.
I suggest you watch them when you get a chance.

billygee 12-21-2012 10:41 AM

Mrs.D Thank you for the link. And yes i'm also happy that cryoglobulins is normal.My cholesterol was ranging from 213-233, HDL from 49-50, LDL from 148-163 and my triglyceride was as high as 173 thats when they put me on Simvastatin. They switched me to Pravastatin when Simvastatin was black flap by the FDA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 941426)
That is a relief that those cryoglobulins are normal. This is an untreatable condition and can be very debilitating, and some have to even MOVE to warmer climates etc.

Do you know what your cholesterol was before the statin?

You will be interested to learn a new form of drug that is NOT a statin is being investigated, and is supposed to be better. We'll see on that. According to some new research lowering cholesterol at all by any means is not a good idea.

This researcher is working independent of drug company money and is finding out interesting things.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/

There are some very interesting YouTubes with her too.
I suggest you watch them when you get a chance.

billygee 12-24-2012 10:55 AM

Got my last two blood test back this morning.
PYRIDOXINE-Vitamin B6 6.7 ug/L Reference Range>5.3-46.7
Rapid Plasma Reagin-Result: >NonReactive
Not sure why i was tested for RPR unless its VAMC policy.I'm no doctor looks like my B-6 is low.

mrsD 12-24-2012 11:21 AM

Yes, it is low. You might try some P5P, which is activated form of pyridoxine to see if it helps.

This one is enteric coated which is the best, since P5P is unstable in stomach acid.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-P-5-P-Co...=pd_sbs_misc_2

I had trouble finding this brand this morning! It may be discontinued soon?

I did find the identical formula made by San company.

There was a FDA calling for opinions, because a Big Pharma company was making a P5P RX drug and wanted all OTC's taken off the market. I sure hope that is not the reason!

One of these a day for a month, will reveal if you needed it, you should feel better on it. If no response just take it every other day or so.

Sometimes labs make mistakes, esp on vitamins. They seem to not calibrate often or accurately the machines. Vit D has had a terrible past with erroneous results from Quest. Twice now.:rolleyes:

billygee 12-24-2012 11:48 AM

What i might do is wait to see my Doc to see what see might recommend when i see her 3/7/13. Plus go over my mri's and what her lab found or did not find in my nerve & muscle biopsy results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 941995)
Yes, it is low. You might try some P5P, which is activated form of pyridoxine to see if it helps.

This one is enteric coated which is the best, since P5P is unstable in stomach acid.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-P-5-P-Co...=pd_sbs_misc_2

I had trouble finding this brand this morning! It may be discontinued soon?

I did find the identical formula made by San company.

There was a FDA calling for opinions, because a Big Pharma company was making a P5P RX drug and wanted all OTC's taken off the market. I sure hope that is not the reason!

One of these a day for a month, will reveal if you needed it, you should feel better on it. If no response just take it every other day or so.

Sometimes labs make mistakes, esp on vitamins. They seem to not calibrate often or accurately the machines. Vit D has had a terrible past with erroneous results from Quest. Twice now.:rolleyes:

mrsD 12-24-2012 12:00 PM

Just don't expect your doctor to know about P5P, activated vs regular pyridoxine, and enteric coating.

If your doctor agrees to some B6, do take the best one available.

We get considerable B6 from fortified foods today. Being low is not typical of posters here. Not many report lows. Really low B6 causes neuropathies.

billygee 12-24-2012 12:26 PM

MrsD, trust me i'm taking notes.Alot of questions to ask her.Also about P5P.Didn't know being low B-6 is not typical for posters here wonder why if it can cause neuropathies or i'm i the odd one with it being low..This is the first time they check my b-6 level.Question when they tested my B-12 last yr they also tested B12/Folate Panel-Result: 11.1- Reference Range: 4.6-34.8
MrsD Thanks Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 942003)
Just don't expect your doctor to know about P5P, activated vs regular pyridoxine, and enteric coating.

If your doctor agrees to some B6, do take the best one available.

We get considerable B6 from fortified foods today. Being low is not typical of posters here. Not many report lows. Really low B6 causes neuropathies.