NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   copaxone and skin tags (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/145155-copaxone-skin-tags.html)

Dejibo 02-17-2011 07:21 PM

copaxone and skin tags

while on copaxone I developed several skin tags, and then ended up with some eye stuff that really got me upset. My eyes were so dry I could hardly blink, and then I got a few skin tags along the lash line along with blocked oil ducts. miserable time.

Since going off the copaxone my eyes have improved alot, and I snapped off a few of those tags on my own, but had one humdinger left behind. I had an appiontment with the eye surgeon today as a check up and she said my ON is improving and she is happy, but then offered to remove that thing on my lash line.

Long story short, I let her numb me up and cut the thing off. OUCH!!! :eek:

anyone else get skin tags while on Copaxone? Mine have stopped now that I stopped taking it, and the MDs told me I was off the beaten path to blame C for them, but its right there in their own literature! skin tags! funny, never had um before C and havent had um since! im glad this huge thing is gone, but wow o wow is it sore!

SallyC 02-17-2011 10:25 PM

I had to look up skin tags...lol. Yes I have them, but I didn't know it was caused by Copaxone.:mad:

I tie a thread around the base/stem and pull it tight. Sometimes they come off at once and sometimes they fall off later. I had a big one on my booby.:eek:..It finally came off.

I noticed that after starting LDN, I didn't get them anymore. Others on LDN noticed it too.

Erin524 02-18-2011 02:33 AM

So that's where that thing on my left arm came from...

I already had one on my ummm....chest...that's been there since my middle 20s, it's not as bad as the one on my arm and I'm not letting anyone cut it off.

I wonder if duct tape would help removing it? I removed a wart on my ring finger about 7yrs ago by putting a little dime sized piece of duct tape on it, with a bandaid around the tape so people wouldnt ask why I had duct tape on my finger. Took about two weeks, but the wart disappeared and has never come back. (saved me a doctor's visit to get it burned off, and I dont have a scar)

Dejibo 02-18-2011 10:32 AM

I noticed when on copaxone that I started getting them. my back, my underarm, my booby, and then on my face! it ended up that I had several along the lash line of my eyes. I snapped several off by grabbing them with tweezers, and courage. This last one was wide and flat and it was quite painful to grab. I didnt have the courage. The eye surgeon told me it was on top of 2 blocked oil ducts which were quite swollen under it and that was why it was so painful for me. She numbed me up and worked for several minutes with the teeniest pair of scissors I ever saw. Im so glad that thing is gone.

Alot of the sx I had with copaxone were right there in the literature, but of course the MDs would just pishaw at me when I would bring it up. Well, dangit! if its in THEIR literature, it must be something, yes? Im happy to be done with it.

Kitty 02-18-2011 10:38 AM

Sometimes the side effects from the medication are worse than the symptoms of the illness you're trying to treat. :rolleyes: What gets me is the ridiculous cost of these meds.

Catch 02-18-2011 12:00 PM

I've got skin tags, but nothing like that, and I had mine before starting copaxone. Now I will be watching for them. Cool, yet another side effect I was not aware of. Cross my fingers I don't start getting them on my eyes:eek:.

tkrik 02-18-2011 12:17 PM

Wow! I'm sorry to hear you had to have them removed from you eye area. OUCH is right!

I know that the older we get, skin tags are part of the "wonderful" aging process and I do have a couple on my neck but I never associated it with C. So, I don't know if I got them because of the C. *tkrik trying to think back to 5 years ago and what her neck looked like. OOOPPPS! tkrik blew a fuse thinking that far back.*:D I am going to venture and guess that the ones I have are not from the C but from my normal aging process.

I am interested to hear what others have to say about C and skin tags.

TwoKidsTwoCats 02-18-2011 01:45 PM

I have a few, but the condition tends to run in my dad's side of the family anyway. So I can't blame the C for all of them. They are exactly where the elastic parts of my bra rub too.. rib cage and underarm area. Come to think of it the really small ones on my neck disappeared after stopping C. hmmmm??

SallyC 02-18-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoKidsTwoCats (Post 745661)
Come to think of it the really small ones on my neck disappeared after stopping C. hmmmm??

Me too, come to think of it or maybe the LDN? Who cares, they're gone..:D

doydie 02-20-2011 12:08 AM

One time I had a small skin tag on my neck. My daughters love the kind of pet shop that allow the birds in the aviary to be free and you can put your arm out and they come to you. Well one day we were in her favorite pet shop and a bird came and sat on my shoulder and picked my skin tag off!!!!!

wkikta 02-20-2011 01:49 PM

From what I have read I think the Duct Tape removal like for warts should work, the adhesive on the tape kills the virus that causes warts. Not the cheap plastic tape, the real fabric tape. Works like a charm, covering the tape with a band-aid to conceal it would reduce questions. Only takes a small piece of tape.

dmplaura 02-24-2011 10:20 PM

My Mom has sooooo many skin tags (and isn't on any long term prescription medications, nor has been). Her mother had them as well. It's a lovely 'feature' that I've surely inherited. :rolleyes:

Erin524 02-24-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkikta (Post 746292)
From what I have read I think the Duct Tape removal like for warts should work, the adhesive on the tape kills the virus that causes warts. Not the cheap plastic tape, the real fabric tape. Works like a charm, covering the tape with a band-aid to conceal it would reduce questions. Only takes a small piece of tape.

When I killed the ginormous wart on my finger a few years ago, I used real duct tape. It stays on the skin fairly well. Didnt really need to put a band-aid around it, but I did because I didnt want people wondering what the duct tape was for.

I just cut out a small dot of tape, just big enough to cover the wart securely and would take it off every few days to check the progress. Changed the tape about every day because it kind of grossed me out a bit. I'm seriously considering trying the tape on the 2 skin tags that I have to see if it works as well as it did for the wart on my finger.

dmplaura 02-26-2011 07:33 PM

If you try Erin, let me know how it works out. I'm going to make this suggestion to my Mom to try. :)

Erin524 02-26-2011 08:28 PM

I have to go get some real duct tape. We had construction work done on our house, and my roll of duct tape seems to have wandered off out of my desk drawer where I had it.

You never know when you'll need duct tape, this is one of those things that I learned from watching MacGyver...at least I still have my Swiss Army knife.

ewizabeth 02-26-2011 09:43 PM

I have two skin tags that developed during the births of my two sons. I think I pushed so hard some extra stuff needed to get out. :D They are both on my upper left front shoulder area where my bra strap goes.

I haven't had any others show up since being on Copaxone. My sister also gets skin tags and she doesn't have MS and has never taken Copaxone.

SallyC 02-27-2011 01:38 PM

WIZZZZZ!!!:Wave-Hello: :heartthrob:

missj 02-27-2011 03:57 PM

I had them before and now during copaxone. When studies are done, every event is recorded while on the trial. I tend to think that folk who reported the skin tags while the study would have developed them in any case.

My hair is grayer now since the copaxone, but I doubt it is a side effect from the med..... just sayin' :)

Becca44 02-28-2011 05:35 PM

oooh, you guys - don't do the duct tape thing. Most GPs have a zapper, guess it freezes the tag, the tag gets all crusty and scabby, and then falls off on its own after a few days. It's painless after the initial freeze sensation.

I had it done to one that was under my arm pit. It's really routine these days.
(those little tag things are SO weird) Doc said if I ever could find the cause of 'em I'd be a rich woman. Let's put our heads together, if it's a side effect of medication, let's tell them so and lay claim to the cash prize. :) ;)

Erin524 02-28-2011 05:41 PM

yeah, but if it works, the duct tape costs probably less than $10 (not sure how much a small roll would cost), and you save the money it would cost just to go to the doctor, much less having the doctor remove it.

Dejibo 02-28-2011 05:46 PM

duct tape works for warts, not skin tags. sorry. :(

dmplaura 02-28-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 748805)
duct tape works for warts, not skin tags. sorry. :(

Ahhh carp, you serious? :(

Dejibo 03-01-2011 07:42 AM

well, I did some research and there are soooo many different stories but some folks swear you can, and others swear you cant.

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-remove...and-painlessly

The above link seemed reasonable and they say you can. They also say you can use TeaTree Oil and other remedies at home.

Mine was at my eyelash line bumped right against my eyeball, so I was kinda stuck unless I could pull it off. Since it was across 3 oil glands it was terribly sore and upset all the time, so way too painful to pull on. Im so happy its gone!

Anyone try any of those remedies?

Becca44 03-01-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 748804)
yeah, but if it works, the duct tape costs probably less than $10 (not sure how much a small roll would cost), and you save the money it would cost just to go to the doctor, much less having the doctor remove it.

Guess it depends on the doc. Mine didn't charge anything to zap me with the freezer stick-thingy. Maybe because I was already there for my annual exam already, and because I hadn't made a special appointment for it.

After the zap, he didn't 'remove' anything, just told me to "wait a few days, let it dry up and fall off". GROSS!!!!!

If my doc were to charge me, I might try the duct tape approach I suppose - especially if I had no doubts as to the nature of the 'thing'.

SallyC 03-01-2011 08:04 PM

I'm starting to go Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww at this whole thread..LOL..:eek::D:p

agate 03-04-2011 02:05 AM

I didn't know about skin tags until I read this thread.

When I was on Copaxone I started getting something the doc called "inclusion cysts"--kind of like pimples, mostly on my hand. I also developed a few "seborrheic keratoses" (the doc's term) which I understand go along with age.

I still have the keratoses but the inclusion cysts went away, with no new ones, since I quit Copaxone.

I also had crippling pain episodes in the left groin area. These stopped when I stopped Copaxone.

Then there was the "bowel urgency" problem but nobody wants to know about that. Sally is already saying "EEEeeew.":D

Dejibo 03-04-2011 09:31 AM

many many of my complaints and issues cleared up when I stopped taking copaxone. Unfortunately that skin tag remained on my eye lash line and sat ontop of 3 oil glands. it was really sore, and would swell and become raw. I am thrilled to have it gone.

Has anyone tried the duct tape yet? how did it go?

ewizabeth 03-05-2011 09:33 PM

I've used duct tape for many things but not that. So, you put it on the skin tag and just wait for it to rot so you can pull it off? :icon_eek: