NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Depression (https://www.neurotalk.org/depression/)
-   -   New to forums (https://www.neurotalk.org/depression/227317-forums.html)

ddaniel3230 10-13-2015 03:29 PM

New to forums

I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for last 10 years it seems to get really bad once a year I have really been properly diagnosed with anything but really scared atm I won't be able to provide for my family

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

caroline2 10-13-2015 03:58 PM

Hi, that 10 yr comment hit me. I went 10 long years with depression back in 1991 and finally in 2002, got on descciated thyroid support and that depression lifted pretty quickly. I went 10 yrs with anti depressant drugs and my gut kept telling me it was a sluggish thyroid...but the doctors lab numbers told him and me I was normal...not so as I know now years later. Later in 2006 I was feeling a lowness and it was Vit D deficiency.

There is help out there, seek it.

Lara 10-13-2015 04:00 PM

Hello and welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups. :)

I'm not sure if you meant to say that you weren't diagnosed.

I wonder if you've seen your general practitioner or a psychologist at all over the 10 years about the anxiety and depression.

You also mention that you feel worse once a year. Have you been able to pinpoint any reason that might happen.

I'm sorry you have such serious concerns about your family. Are your anxiety and depression affecting your work situation?

ddaniel3230 10-13-2015 04:22 PM

I haven't been diagnosed I'm on 20mg fluxotine I have hard time talking about it I own a small company and I worry I won't be able to handle it when I'm like this then it goes away and I'm fine like it never happened then every year around this time I worry so much about it coming back and it does it's almost like I bring it on myself really just don't know what do I'm scared it's something that I will never get over when it's going on sorry for bad typing lol

ddaniel3230 10-13-2015 04:30 PM

Yes it does effect my work I feel weak and achy and headaches. It is all I can focus on when I'm going threw it very weird I'll get in a good mood and then think y bother I'm just going to feel like this agin. And scary part is I don't know what it is first happens with a panic attack when in was about 22. I love my family and job just worry about losing them cause I can't get over this but I always do.

EnglishDave 10-13-2015 05:27 PM

Hi ddaniel,

This really is something you need to speak to your GP about and perhaps look into Therapy.

When I read that you suffer at this time every year my mind immediately went to SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Seasona...roduction.aspx.

This could be something worth reading up on to see whether the symptoms fit. At least then you will have a starting point.

Your Anxiety could well be linked to your Depression, but that, too, does need addressing by a Professional. We can talk about it here, and suggest Meditative Practices, breathing techniques, etc at the same time as an aid to the help you are getting in the Real World. Of course, we are here for you instantaneously, but we can only offer opinions based on our own experiences.

Stay calm, try not to worry.

Dave.

Lara 10-13-2015 05:48 PM

If it was me I'd probably start by going back to whomever is prescribing the 20mg Fluoxetine (Prozac). They must have diagnosed you with something to prescribe it although they've maybe not talked with you about their reasons. Not sure how long you've been on that dose. It may not suit you although it is a fairly low dose.

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/fluoxeti...for_Depression

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/fluoxeti...lsive_Disorder

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/fluoxeti...Panic_Disorder

ddaniel3230 10-13-2015 05:58 PM

I really think the anxiety is the worst think can't really tell tho just constant worry when I'm not busy

kiwi33 10-13-2015 06:15 PM

Hi ddaniel

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

I endorse what Dave wrote (I live with Major Depressive Disorder). In my experience a combination of medication (from my psychiatrist) and "talk-therapy" (from my clinical psychologist) has been more helpful than either in isolation.

I also agree with Lara about Prozac. Often matching the "right" anti-depressant to the "right" person is a matter of trial and error. If anti-depressant medication is indicated for you (this might not be the case), then going back to your GP to discuss trying something else with a different pharmacology is worth considering.

All the best.

caroline2 10-13-2015 06:50 PM

I also agree getting into some talk therapy. Got to work to let go of your thoughts. We so often worry about something that never happens and I know that one. Learning meditation and doing it can also do wonders, it's free and one can do it laying down if one wants to.

The drug Prozac is one of the drugs that contains fluoride which is also in abx drugs like cipro, levaquin and that class. We just talked about those drugs and all the side effects. Did you read up on the possible side effects of the drug?

I tried prozac back in 1991 and it did nothing for me...that's when I first got so depressed and suspected thyroid which is was for me. Let go...

ddaniel3230 10-13-2015 06:56 PM

Just started taking it again last week I go to doctor when it gets bad then just stop taking them when it goes always I Prolly should just always be on them but. I reall never explain how bad it is when I'm having it they kinda just say take this and off I go ivreally just wish I new what it was

kiwi33 10-13-2015 08:17 PM

A few thoughts:

Often anti-depressants take a while (up to a couple of months) to kick in fully.

If you decide that Prozac is not helping you then it is fine to discontinue. However, quitting cold-turkey is not a good plan - it is best to taper off slowly - your doctor should be able to advise you of a schedule for this.

Prozac is a member of the SSRI class of anti-depressants. I am not meaning to second-guess your doctor but trying one of the SNRI anti-depressants is something that you could discuss with him/her.

RSD ME 10-14-2015 05:20 AM

welcome daniel. i am sorry you have depression but with the proper counseling and sometimes meds you will be able to function in life the way you want. i have suffered from ciinical depression since i was little and now i suffer from a chronic illness (rsd) which isn't helping my depression. but i see a psychiatrist and pm dr for them and take meds that they prescribe to me for the pain and depression and it helps a bit. i am sending positive vibes and caring thoughts your way.

ddaniel3230 10-14-2015 06:54 AM

Ty u guys so much for the advice helps knowing people care

ddaniel3230 10-14-2015 06:56 AM

I am going to make a doctor appointment and try and get a proper diagnosis instead here take this see u in a month

ddaniel3230 10-14-2015 06:58 AM

But having ok morning letting truck warm up for work. Hope everyone's day is a good one

ddaniel3230 10-14-2015 11:26 AM

Doctors appointment at 2 feeling very nervous. But I know I need to tell them how I've been feeling hope it's not to bad and can be treated[emoji2]

St George 2013 10-14-2015 11:48 AM

Hey there

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaniel3230 (Post 1177496)
Doctors appointment at 2 feeling very nervous. But I know I need to tell them how I've been feeling hope it's not to bad and can be treated[emoji2]

Please let us know what the doctor says.

We care about you :)

Debi from Georgia

ddaniel3230 10-14-2015 02:58 PM

Doc raised my fluxutine to 40mg and said it sounds like I'm having a lot off anxiety and I should stay on the meds not just stop taking them when I think I'm fine

St George 2013 10-14-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaniel3230 (Post 1177539)
Doc raised my fluxutine to 40mg and said it sounds like I'm having a lot off anxiety and I should stay on the meds not just stop taking them when I think I'm fine

I was on 20 mg of paxil and then when this small fiber neuropathy set in I really had a bad time mentally. She raised me to 40 mg a day and that's what I am on now. I believe it really helps me. I'm off that roller coaster of emotions now. Well mostly :D

Debi from Georgia

Lara 10-14-2015 03:46 PM

Well done on your going to see the Doctor. :)

Also, if you have a look on the Anxiety Forum as well, you may find some tips and ideas to help ease your anxiety.

Thanks for letting us know.

EnglishDave 10-14-2015 05:08 PM

That is solid advice from your Doctor, you really do not want to stop your meds when your Mood and Anxiety stabilises without medical instruction.

Dave.

ddaniel3230 10-14-2015 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice u guys are amazing people. Good feeling to know that people care about people besides themselves.

ddaniel3230 10-18-2015 02:56 PM

My anxiety is so overwhelming I don't no what to do

Lara 10-18-2015 04:10 PM

I'm sorry it's so bad.

Was there anything in particular that happened to make it so bad today or is it is bad all the time?

If you drink coffee or drinks with caffeine in them during the day it might be a good idea to stop that.

Most of us, if not all, who deal with anxiety problems tend to stop breathing properly. Learn to breathe. The link below has 3 techniques all on the one page so that's why I'm posting that one.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521...exercises.html

For the present, is it possible to find a quiet place to lie down and try a relaxation exercise?

Once you're lying down, close your eyes and starting at your toes, tighten the muscles. Hold the muscles tight for a count of 10 but not that long if it hurts. Start at the toes and do this slowly with all your muscles.
http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACF3C8D.pdf

kiwi33 10-18-2015 06:15 PM

Hi ddaniel3230

I am sorry to read about your anxiety.

I strongly endorse Lara's suggestions about breathing and muscle relaxation.

I use both of these methods daily as part of my mental health self-care.