NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Disability Update Report - Short Form - question #5 (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/196669-disability-update-report-short-form-question-5-a.html)

SandiR2 11-03-2013 07:41 PM

Disability Update Report - Short Form - question #5

My 25-yo son has been on SSDI since age 21. This is his first time receiving the update report form. His disability codes shown on the first scanline indicate approval for autism and organic mental disorder. He sees a psychologist every 2 weeks for therapy and social skills and also sees his primary care physician aprox every 2 years for routine checkups and lab work. He does not take any medications, so there are no doctor visits for that.

Would it be best to only list the last 3 psychologist visits, or should I list the last 2 of those and then his PCP visit for a checkup which was in Oct 2011. The form covers Oct 2011 - present. (And, it's possible that his visit was actually Sept 2011, which would eliminate it anyway -- I need to verify the date with the clinic this week.)

I'm thinking that just the psychologist visits would be the best course of action since that directly relates to his disabling condition, but I thought I'd see what others' opinions on the matter were since ya'll have experience in these matters and this is our first go at it. Thanks!

finz 11-05-2013 01:56 AM

Even if his last PCP visit did fall within the correct timeframe, I would focus on the visits that address your son's disabilities, his psychologist visits.

Aspie 08-09-2014 06:14 PM

I just received an update report form for the first time today... after receiving benefits for about 15 years.

My diagnoses was made by a psychologist about two years prior to that and I have not and have no reason to see such a doctor.

Janke 08-10-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspie (Post 1088237)
I just received an update report form for the first time today... after receiving benefits for about 15 years.

My diagnoses was made by a psychologist about two years prior to that and I have not and have no reason to see such a doctor.

So what will happen is a consultative exam with * an SSA appointed doctor* will be used to determine whether or not benefits continue.

Aspie 08-11-2014 02:09 AM

I would think and hope a copy of the diagnoses report I received in 1999 would be adequate. They knew when I was evaluated in person, in 2000 that my case wouldn't change.

There is a possibility that a situation I had with the Health Agency in my state in the last three weeks caused speculation, as I am understanding that random updates on certain individuals cases are reviewed years less than 15 years.

Jomar 08-11-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspie (Post 1088551)
I would think and hope a copy of the diagnoses report I received in 1999 would be adequate. They knew when I was evaluated in person, in 2000 that my case wouldn't change.

There is a possibility that a situation I had with the Health Agency in my state in the last three weeks caused speculation, as I am understanding that random updates on certain individuals cases are reviewed years less than 15 years.

It might be wise to make a check up appt. with same dr if you can , just to save yourself some possible red tape issues. I'm sure SSDI would like to see a recent evaluation as proof.

LIT LOVE 08-11-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspie (Post 1088551)

Agencies aren't linked that way. It is possible they reported that they didn't believe you should qualify.

Did you receive the long or short form?

SS does expect you to keep up with your med/psych care. You need to go back to your former doc asap. New therapies and meds are introduced that could make a difference for some.

We are all subject to reviews and SSI/SSDI isn't awarded permanently for anyone.

Aspie 08-11-2014 11:38 PM

Social Security deals with Social Security Income and MediCaid.

The doctor may not even be still practicing and he is in another state. I saw him one time when I was evaluated and he made the diagnosis soon after.

The determination that I was eligible for, and them knowing that day that I have what I have since birth, then oddly to come up fourteen to fifteen years later.

If everyone is periodically reviewed, then I should have been so eight and/or ten and/or twelve years ago.

There has been ongoing issues with individuals receiving benefits they are not entitled for.

Aspie 08-12-2014 08:37 AM

I'm not sure whether it's the short or long form.

Jomar 08-12-2014 12:35 PM

Might be good to get your records if you can from that dr or whoever has the records now.. If the office totally closed sometimes the affiliated hospital may have the records..
I think with the aging baby boomer generation and the slowed economy - SSDI is having to tighten up the purse strings, you may have slipped through the other times.

If you can't get to the same dr find out who replaced him & has his records now?
Or make appt with another dr, just to have a visit on record for now.

echoes long ago 08-12-2014 01:26 PM

the short form would be six questions the long form is much longer.

you are getting good advice. get an appointment as quickly as possible with someone so that you can how a visit. if you have no visits in the last 14 years, then you are going to have problems with the review.

my review period was 3 years but i didnt get one until 7 years, so you probably just slipped through the cracks.

Aspie 08-12-2014 04:40 PM

I don't see why sending them the report that the doctor made wouldn't be as equal as the doctor that diagnosed.

Aspie 08-12-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1088836)
you are getting good advice. get an appointment as quickly as possible with someone so that you can how a visit. if you have no visits in the last 14 years, then you are going to have problems with the review.

You're making it sound like no matter what is filled out on the form, I will be denied.

LIT LOVE 08-13-2014 04:28 AM

If you received the short form and haven't seen a doc about whatever qualified you for SSI or SSDI, then you will likely be sent the long form CDR in the next 6 weeks or so. (Or perhaps, you already have the long form.)

The long form CDR process is comparable to going through the original application process to qualify for SSI /SSDI. SS will likely send you to a consulting doc/s paid by SS. Sometimes applicants/recipients are very unhappy with the results of those exams. Sometimes the exams are very rushed.

SS used to have less stringent requirements for SSI recipients that qualified as children, and allowed them to continue receiving benefits as adults. For certain conditions, it is now much more difficult to continue receiving benefits.

So, there are lots of factors that could make the CDR process more complicated than you'd imagine. The suggestions given here by several of us are to try and prepare you for a worst case scenario, so that you are not blindsided. If your benefits are ceased, you will be able to appeal, but having current medical records would likely be necessary.

Aspie 08-13-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1089012)
Sometimes applicants/recipients are very unhappy with the results of those exams. Sometimes the exams are very rushed.

SS used to have less stringent requirements for SSI recipients that qualified as children, and allowed them to continue receiving benefits as adults. For certain conditions, it is now much more difficult to continue receiving benefits.

So, there are lots of factors that could make the CDR process more complicated than you'd imagine.

It didn't seem very rushed and they approved fairly quickly from what they believed the case to be, which is true.

I was 23 years old when I applied and was granted assistance. I am now 37 with this review update.

The DSM on my condition changed, that shouldn't make it more difficult for those of us that have it. Social Security is obviously aware of the change.

Again, the evaluation report I have would be what the one that diagnosed me. Not like the information in black and white would miraculously change.
/

LIT LOVE 08-13-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspie (Post 1089063)
It didn't seem very rushed and they approved fairly quickly from what they believed the case to be, which is true.

I was 23 years old when I applied and was granted assistance. I am now 37 with this review update.

The DSM on my condition changed, that shouldn't make it more difficult for those of us that have it. Social Security is obviously aware of the change.

Again, the evaluation report I have would be what the one that diagnosed me. Not like the information in black and white would miraculously change.
/

You are free to ignore any info we provide, but understand we are trying to help you.

http://autisticadvocacy.org/wp-conte...ASAN_final.pdf It appears that SS will not consider your older diagnosis valid and will expect you to be retested.

Janke 08-13-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspie (Post 1088897)
I don't see why sending them the report that the doctor made wouldn't be as equal as the doctor that diagnosed.

I do not think that SSA will even read a seventeen year old medical record for a CDR in 2014. If SSA just needed the diagnosis from seventeen years ago, they would not be contacting you at all.

That is my observation.

LIT LOVE 08-14-2014 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspie (Post 1089063)

/

When you qualified for SS benefits, Asperger's was included as a "Listed Impairment" but since the DSM has changed, that is apparently no longer automatically the case.

Your condition is possibly the same, it might be better, or it might be worse. So long as you're alive, you're susceptible to change--both negative and positive. And I'm not saying that your Asperger's itself has changed, but rather your ability, or inability, to adapt to your disability--and therefore your ability to work. Some people have found that going to college or utilizing Vocational Rehabilitation Training, has helped them learn to adapt in the workforce.

I would not personally trust a Consultative Examiner to spend the time to adequately diagnose me. If SS decides you need to be retested, and IF you no longer qualify with a "listed impairment", you may still qualify via SS's 5 step process to determine SSI/SSDI eligibility. But that is process is not as easy as what you dealt with previously.

"Exceptions to the Medical Improvement Standard

The SSA does not need to show that your impairment has medically improved if:

•you are working over the SGA level
•you have had vocational training that makes it possible for you to return to work (for example, your RFC limited you to sedentary work and you are now qualified for sedentary work because of a class you took)
a new method for evaluating the severity of your condition shows you are not disabled, or
•there was an error in the initial determination and you should not have been found disabled (for example, clear evidence was found in your file that shows you didn't qualify for disability, or new evidence clearly refutes prior evidence that you were disabled).

In these cases (called Group I Exceptions), the examiner does not need to find medical improvement in your case. However, the examiner still must find that you are not currently disabled to deny you benefits; that is, that you are capable of performing substantial gainful activity."

link quoted directly above:
http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/dne...ss-social.html

link to forum about Consultative Exams:
http://ssdfacts.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

link about 5 step process:
http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify5.htm

sable081 05-01-2015 03:16 PM

SSDI Disability update report

Hello everyone im new to this site I have been on disability since 1996 in 2010 I received a disability update report I fill it out and I received a letter a month later telling me that they didn't have to contact my doctor at this time and my next review is 7+ yrs which would be 2017 im trying to understand the coding they use on a disability update report does anyone know on the front of the scanner on disability update report if it say L/0048 is that consider low and I don't know what profiling score of 0048 meaning does it mean not expected to improve I just hate these reviews it bad enough that people on SSDI are sick and not feeling will we have to stress about the medical reviews if anyone can help me with the the code thank you and im glad to be here as a new member:grouphug:

sable081 05-07-2015 11:20 AM

How come no one can help me I posted a question about a week ago im new to this site and I don't know where to post so people can see it to reply HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

sable081 05-07-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sable081 (Post 1140768)
How come no one can help me I posted a question about a week ago im new to this site and I don't know where to post so people can see it to reply HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wondering being on disability for 19 yrs now and had 1 short 2 page form( disability update report) in 2010 and was sent a letter a month later that they didn't need to contact my doctor just wondering if anyone knows when the time comes for my next review in October 2017 does anyone know if it would be the same short form first (disability update report) or the full medical report or does everyone get the short 2 page first and if they need any further medical records then I would get a full medical review calling SSA this morning they are so rude and know nothing so if anyone knows anything I would appreciate the information :)

echoes long ago 05-07-2015 03:01 PM

I replied to you several times sable

Lara 05-07-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sable081 (Post 1140768)

Hi sable081,
If you're losing track of replies or posts, you can always click on your user name to the left of your posts and you will see a tab "Find more posts by sable081".

You can also subscribe to threads
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/fa..._subscriptions

If you need any help with posting and reading, you can check in the
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Hope that helps some :)

sable081 05-08-2015 01:29 PM

Thank You so much echoes and Lara ill see if I can figure this out im so lost Thanks

Del6 06-23-2015 03:51 AM

Question 5, short form disability update form

I have a question about the reasons for seing doctor. I see a therapist weekly and a pschiatrist every 3 months. So in June I saw them both. Therefore I should put PTSD Therapy June, PTSD psychotherapy June and PTSD Therapy May? Will two visits in June trigger anything. Techincally I could put PTSD medications for June also but then this would be June for all 3 places. Or I could put an appointment for April, May, and June. All are correct. Not sure which ones to put but dont want to trigger a long form. Please advise.

Thank you!!

LIT LOVE 06-23-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del6 (Post 1150136)
I have a question about the reasons for seing doctor. I see a therapist weekly and a pschiatrist every 3 months. So in June I saw them both. Therefore I should put PTSD Therapy June, PTSD psychotherapy June and PTSD Therapy May? Will two visits in June trigger anything. Techincally I could put PTSD medications for June also but then this would be June for all 3 places. Or I could put an appointment for April, May, and June. All are correct. Not sure which ones to put but dont want to trigger a long form. Please advise.

Thank you!!

You will not trigger a Long Form by going to therapy too often. I would list your last 3 visits, even if all in the same month.

It is a reality that SS has changed policy recently and some people might receive the Long Form more often. It might be inconvenient, but for those that are continuing treatment and compliant with taking their meds, and not working, your benefits should continue without a problem. Don't write in the comments section. Don't change any personal info on the form. Etc. That is all you can do.

You can't control how long the letter takes stating benefits will continue. For some it's a few months, for some it's as many as 9 months. Mail it back and try to forget about it.

Del6 06-23-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1150172)
You will not trigger a Long Form by going to therapy too often. I would list your last 3 visits, even if all in the same month.

It is a reality that SS has changed policy recently and some people might receive the Long Form more often. It might be inconvenient, but for those that are continuing treatment and compliant with taking their meds, and not working, your benefits should continue without a problem. Don't write in the comments section. Don't change any personal info on the form. Etc. That is all you can do.

You can't control how long the letter takes stating benefits will continue. For some it's a few months, for some it's as many as 9 months. Mail it back and try to forget about it.

Thank you. I read my med records and it is PTSD MDD Therapy, etc. So as far as these 16 boxes go, it will look like this, correct? PTSD MDD THERAPY, PTSD MDD PSYCHOT, PTSD MDD MEDICAT. That's enough for the comouter to read, correct? Thanks again!!!!

LIT LOVE 06-23-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del6 (Post 1150179)
Thank you. I read my med records and it is PTSD MDD Therapy, etc. So as far as these 16 boxes go, it will look like this, correct? PTSD MDD THERAPY, PTSD MDD PSYCHOT, PTSD MDD MEDICAT. That's enough for the comouter to read, correct? Thanks again!!!!

Yes, that should be fine.

echoes long ago 06-23-2015 09:35 PM

Lit Love what is the policy change you were alluding to with the long form

Del6 06-25-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1150187)
Yes, that should be fine.

Well I sent in the form and looked at it today.amd while I wrote in the doctors visits in question 5,.I forgot to check the box for yes. So, I guess I should expect the long form. God I hate this forgetfullness sympof PTSD!!!!

LIT LOVE 06-25-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del6 (Post 1150707)
Well I sent in the form and looked at it today.amd while I wrote in the doctors visits in question 5,.I forgot to check the box for yes. So, I guess I should expect the long form. God I hate this forgetfullness sympof PTSD!!!!

Forgetting a check mark might not trigger a Long Form trigger. A human will review the form and you could very well still be fine. The instructions to avoid human interference is the most ideal situation, but don't worry prematurely either. ;)

sable081 08-07-2015 01:27 PM

who sends out medical reviews

Hello does anyone know who makes the decision on the disability medical reviews and or mails these medical reviews out would it be your Local Social Security Office or a Social Security Headquarter located somewhere like Baltimore or PA I live in New JERSEY and when I call for information they are so nasty and know nothing so hoping I didn't open up a can of worms with my Local Social Security Office But no one knows nothing at this office in my town Im perm Disability been on Disability for 20 years just wondering where these reviews come from Local Office or anyone knows Thank You

LIT LOVE 08-07-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sable081 (Post 1160855)
Hello does anyone know who makes the decision on the disability medical reviews and or mails these medical reviews out would it be your Local Social Security Office or a Social Security Headquarter located somewhere like Baltimore or PA I live in New JERSEY and when I call for information they are so nasty and know nothing so hoping I didn't open up a can of worms with my Local Social Security Office But no one knows nothing at this office in my town Im perm Disability been on Disability for 20 years just wondering where these reviews come from Local Office or anyone knows Thank You

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabi...sa-sa-mowl.htm

"A state agency may be requested by SSA to conduct a medical review of a claim based on disability that was previously approved. The purpose of the review is to determine whether or not the disability still exists, and therefore whether disability benefits should continue to be provided by SSA."

You can receive the request from out of area if your region too backlogged.

Why are you calling exactly? Once you've received the paperwork, you have to complete it if you want to continue receiving benefits. If you haven't received a CDR, you can trigger one by calling.