NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Weight Loss & Healthy Living (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/)
-   -   South Beach (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/45916-south-beach.html)

Curious 05-17-2008 11:17 AM

South Beach

shelley and i are starting SB on monday.:yahoo:

anyone else interested?

we are going to be very dedicated and serious. we are determined to lose the weight and be healthy. (ok...looking good too :D)

this will include daily food and exercise logs. weigh in's. taking measurements. being held accoutable.

SB book is copyrighted, so parts of the book can not be posted, but we can send pm's. pm's can be sent to 25 people at a time. share recipes and such from the book. that can also be used for more sensitive information that we don't want posted. like weight.

for us, it's time to get real. we want to invite others who are totally ready to join us. also those who are on it already.

watsonsh 05-17-2008 11:25 AM

Whuh????:confused::confused::confused:...I thought you said we are going to South Beach :p:p

The monkey is right! Its time to get real and dedicate ourselves to taking care of us! We are so good at taking care of others its time for us!

Yep food diaries and measurements and even pictures!....hopefully before and after :eek:

So starting Monday we are here to support each other. We are gonna eat right and exercise!

I am so serious about this today I am going to storage to get my bike out so I can start riding!

So who's in? C'mon now....dont make me do this alone...that monkey will kill me :D

Curious 05-17-2008 11:40 AM

:I-Agree:

don't make her do this alone. i'm a tough one. :D

all who join us will be held acountable.

intentional exercise is a must. burning more calories than consumed everyday.

we will do it!

bizi 05-17-2008 12:57 PM

ARe you going to post some things like food groupings...I don't want to do this thru PM"S...thanks.
bizi

Curious 05-17-2008 01:07 PM

we will post as much as we can. just have to watch the copyright. :wink:

the big thing will be to stay on topic and to stay on the diet and exercise.

i have held online and in person support groups.( had a private forum on my webs site) i was the fascilator. they worked out very well. it did help that most of us could meet, but those that couldn't really stuck to it.

we figured some wouldn't want to post their actual weight. so that is where pm's will come in. that is an option.

Alffe 05-17-2008 04:00 PM

You're kidding...right?:D I'm gonna pm you my weight? LOLOL!! Can I start with what I have already lost on So Beach diet? I love this diet and it really works...my exercise consists of climbing on ladders while painting, cutting the grass while riding around, raking, bending.....:p

Curious 05-17-2008 04:06 PM

:D

since you have a scale now..i figured you'd be proud of the number you are at now.

ok..so we know from you not even bother with the fake bacon. anything else not worth the calories? you are the queen of sb. :D

you do get lots of exercise.

intentional is adding things like stepping or marching in place while brushing your teeth..or doing squats. legs lifts or arm circles while watching tv. or doing the bike or treadmill. adding exercise to your daily routine.

i think we should add intentional cutting back. skipping dressing on a salad..stuff like that.

ideas?

Alffe 05-17-2008 04:15 PM

I don't think I could squat if my life depended on it, oh I could get down but not back up! :D and what is this lunging I read about. I have learned to love chemical eggs if you add f.f.shredded blue or feta to them. And V8 juice..small glass. Don't need dressing if you wilt baby spinch in walnut oil..throw in f.f.cheese and course salt. It's also great under a piece of fish..looks pretty....good for you.

I'll try marching while brushing my teeth but shudder to think of Mr.Alffe's reaction. LOLOL! Gonna be fun ladies...I am in this. If/when I lose ONE more pound it will be a new decade....unit?

Curious 05-17-2008 04:23 PM

pracitce doing squats or lunges holding on the kitchen or bathroom counter. it helps with balance. same with doing a modified push up.

you can also practice like you are going to sit on a chair or the bed...and just not touch your rear...and stand back up. start with doing 1 or 2.

heheehe alffe..what about doing the twist? dance a little while brushing your teeth? remember those little tiles/squares that swiveled?

Alffe 05-17-2008 04:28 PM

I can do that unless gravity drops me like a stone! This is gonna be fun!

Curious 05-17-2008 04:37 PM

whelp..i pm'ed you my weight. no hiding my fat **** now. :eek:

seeing my measurements was a big eye opener. ugh. ick. gross. hour glass smouer glass.

Curious 05-17-2008 06:19 PM

on pm'ng weight.

we have some options. (please add any others you think of)

1. just pm them to me and i will keep track of weight loss. same thing with measurements if you want to take them.( even taking just the waist measurement can really help judge if you are losing fat or muscle) i can then post the loses.

2. they can be pm'ed to the whole group and shared.

3. you don't have to do either, but please keep track for yourself.

it is encouraging and motivating to group to have weight and inches lost. when you support someone and they see results, it is gratifying. this is just another opportunity for us to support one another.

:grouphug:

ps..but please don't feel obligated or left out if you choose not to. we will still be posting on the daily thread.

Jomar 05-17-2008 10:42 PM

I'm gonna give the Fat Flush Plan a try while you guys do SB OK?

I just got the Fat Flush Plan book, the Fat Flush cook book and their Fat Flush exercise book:cool:
I can start it on Monday also - might have to make a grocery run on Monday morning- but that won't take long.

starting wt 173 :eek:
5'3" :eek::eek: medium frame
worst problem is belly fat:eek:

I dare ya to post your stats:D

Alffe 05-18-2008 05:05 AM

Not going there....LOL but I do admire the heck out of your courage.

I haven't seen my tape measure in years..must be with my iron. *grin

Curious 05-18-2008 10:49 AM

i'll post my height...5' 5". my BMi is 27.3

anyone else want me to do theirs?

i'll start a thread on monday to include both SB and FF jo.

i'll have to see if hubby has the fat flush books. he has sooo many at the club.

oh..alffe..if you find your iron...just measure with the cord. :p

weirdo here..i have 2 irons. :eek: :o but...i have a food processor that i only used once. :wink:

watsonsh 05-18-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 281796)
i'll post my height...5' 5". my BMi is 27.3

anyone else want me to do theirs?

i'll start a thread on monday to include both SB and FF jo.

i'll have to see if hubby has the fat flush books. he has sooo many at the club.

oh..alffe..if you find your iron...just measure with the cord. :p

weirdo here..i have 2 irons. :eek: :o but...i have a food processor that i only used once. :wink:

And a very tired vaccuum.
OK I will find the tape measure and measure and weight myself today.

I know yesterday I was 147.2 and I am 5'4 1/2 and last time I had my BMI done I think it was over 35% :eek::eek::eek:, maybe 40% I wil look that up too.

Belly fat and thighs the worst.

JO I'll be interested to hear more about the program you are doing parallel to us. And I'll be a bit modified SB. I dug out all of my menu lists last night. I used to do a food program here in LA. They would prepare the food daily and deliver. It wa more atkins based but very healthy and all organic. I lost 30 pounds in like 5 months. Each meal was 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. Carbs and fat were healthy like veggies and olives etc. There was a lot of turkey based food, like turkey chili and turkey meatballs etc. And the portion size was perfect and it was all 1200 calories a day.

One thing that has been helping me a bit is that at night I have been doing a small meal of fresh turkey slices and mustard with some olives and some melon. I thik I have lost a bit on that in the last two weeks.

And folks dont forget the multi vitamins so we are not losing nutrients.

P.S I got my old bike out of the storage locker yesterday. Its being tuned up at the bike shop. Even hubby might buy a bike. That will be my exercise.

Anyone watch the Biggest Loser last season. We need a cheer

Pride on three Pride on three....1 2 3 PRIDE!!!

Alffe 05-18-2008 12:03 PM

*whispers....BMI??? OH, and I did some squating while holding on and pulling myself up...does that count?

watsonsh 05-18-2008 12:06 PM

Duh Alffe..its the code for the Baltimore airport. :D

Hey monkey whats BMI? I don't remember. I just know mine sux.

Great job on the squatting Alffe.!!!

Alffe 05-18-2008 12:10 PM

LOLOL!! Psssst...is Rod married? :D

Curious 05-18-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 281846)
*whispers....BMI??? OH, and I did some squating while holding on and pulling myself up...does that count?

YES!!!!!

push ups can be done by using a sink or counter top too. just step back a little ways.

Curious 05-18-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 281848)
Duh Alffe..its the code for the Baltimore airport. :D

Hey monkey whats BMI? I don't remember. I just know mine sux.

Great job on the squatting Alffe.!!!

Body Mass Index

Alffe 05-18-2008 12:15 PM

BMI = Big Mama Idiot? Big Mean Indiana?

Alffe 05-18-2008 12:16 PM

Well, who gets to judge that? :confused:

Is that why I need the tape measure?

Geesh...I already bought a diet book, a scale, new smaller sized clothes....oh yeah, I liked that part. *grin

watsonsh 05-18-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 281851)
LOLOL!! Psssst...is Rod married? :D

LOL..he is now but maybe when I lose all this weight....ya nevah know :eek: I do believe I have converted you to a Michigan fan...what will Mr. Alffe say when he catches you rooting for them against Notre Dame.

Hey btw I always am more motivated if we get prizes....so if I lose 10 lbs..no wait 5 lbs in the next two months can I get the new shoes I am eyeing...shhhh dont tell hubby.:p (I already got in trouble yesterday for going to nike store to get bike pants....sheesh I told him I cant get on that bike without em - even if I don't lose weight I will look good on that bike)

Curious 05-18-2008 12:20 PM

alffe BMI : 29

shelley BMI : 25.2

jo BMI : 30.6

curious BMI : 27.3

underweight BMI Below 18.5
normal BMI 18.5 -24.9
overweight 25 -29.9
obese 30 or higher

What Is Adult BMI?
Body Mass Index or BMI is based on your height and weight. Doctors often use BMI to determine if a person is underweight, at a healthy weight or is overweight. While BMI is accurate for most people, it doesn’t work for everyone. It’s important to remember that:
  • You could have a high BMI but be at a weight that is considered healthy if you’re muscular or athletic.
  • You could have a normal BMI and have poor nutrition.
  • It’s important to talk to your doctor about weight-related health risks.

watsonsh 05-18-2008 12:21 PM

Wait how did you get mine? I swear its over 30? Not that I wont take it lower. :D

Curious 05-18-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 281859)
LOL..he is now but maybe when I lose all this weight....ya nevah know :eek: I do believe I have converted you to a Michigan fan...what will Mr. Alffe say when he catches you rooting for them against Notre Dame.

Hey btw I always am more motivated if we get prizes....so if I lose 10 lbs..no wait 5 lbs in the next two months can I get the new shoes I am eyeing...shhhh dont tell hubby.:p (I already got in trouble yesterday for going to nike store to get bike pants....sheesh I told him I cant get on that bike without em)

how about for those who feel ok about it...we exchange addresses and send cards or post card? or little fun stuff?

Curious 05-18-2008 12:22 PM

alffe..if i quote the post you deleted it will still show. hahahahaha. you need to undelete it. it is FUNNY!!!

watsonsh 05-18-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 281867)
how about for those who feel ok about it...we exchange addresses and send cards or post card? or little fun stuff?

Great...and can I get the shoes? :rolleyes:

Curious 05-18-2008 12:25 PM

go to www.eastbay.com

see what they have there. i have gotten very expensive tennis shoes there on clearance for 80% off. i bought all of jordan shoes there for soccer and other sports for years.

watsonsh 05-18-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 281875)
go to www.eastbay.com

see what they have there. i have gotten very expensive tennis shoes there on clearance for 80% off. i bought all of jordan shoes there for soccer and other sports for years.

Wow great site...DH is gonna kill you for introducing me to it. :wink:

THe other shoes I want as my goal were pretty flats with brown and a smidge of black at the toes. Ooooooo pretty. Saw em yesterday at the macys next to the nike store. Shhhhh he does not know I went there. :p

Hey if I lose weight will my feet get smaller?

Alffe 05-18-2008 12:37 PM

Obese is an ugly word!! I much prefer pleasingly plump! :D And I have no clue what I deleted! :p my short term is shot! but now I can squat! :D

Curious 05-18-2008 12:42 PM

yeah..it sucks. real eye opener for me to see my BMI. :(

i did testing at my kids schools for years. it was sad how many were in that catagory.

we have $10 a month memberships at the club for kids. one boy has lost 20lbs. he's a friend of lil'monkey's. getting his BMI done made him and his folks realize how unhealthy his weight was.

watsonsh 05-18-2008 12:45 PM

I have decided that I am only going to weight myself once a week. No more daily stuff for me.

Jomar 05-18-2008 12:45 PM

Can I fudge my numbers LOL to be 29.9 :D

Curious 05-18-2008 12:47 PM

go pee and weigh yourself again...

yup..sounds good to me jo. :hug:

Alffe 05-18-2008 01:59 PM

What Is Adult BMI?
Body Mass Index or BMI is based on your height and weight. Doctors often use BMI to determine if a person is underweight, at a healthy weight or is overweight. While BMI is accurate for most people, it doesn’t work for everyone. It’s important to remember that:
You could have a high BMI but be at a weight that is considered healthy if you’re muscular or athletic.
You could have a normal BMI and have poor nutrition.
It’s important to talk to your doctor about weight-related health risks.

Can I get a senior rate? :rolleyes:

"(I already got in trouble yesterday for going to nike store to get bike pants....sheesh I told him I cant get on that bike without em) "
He can't possibly expect you to ride a bike without new pants! :D

Dmom3005 05-18-2008 04:30 PM

Not sure why I got the quote

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 281325)
You're kidding...right?:D I'm gonna pm you my weight? LOLOL!! Can I start with what I have already lost on So Beach diet? I love this diet and it really works...my exercise consists of climbing on ladders while painting, cutting the grass while riding around, raking, bending.....:p

Wanted to add, I am not one to weigh foods. Because I'm
on a calorie diet per my doctor. So I'm kind of lost as how to change
this.

But I can give you my weight and my heighth. And I'd like the support

I'm not doing a South Diet or another exactly. Right now I'm doing
what I can that is healthy for me.

I am very much overly obese, and I do know that. I had lost 6 more
lbs, and its back for no reason. So its for sure not idea why.

But my weight is 239, and it fluctuates all the time, it can go to 244 in
the same day. I really have no clue why. I really did mean to post
this.

I've weighed in the morning and then the evening and weighed 3 lbs
different. And had no clue why on the same scales.

I'm 5 8 or 9 I'm honestly not sure, I believe its 8 now. I think I shrunk.

Donna

Curious 05-18-2008 06:25 PM

donna, your BMI is 36.2

many times it is food choices that will put on weight. most pre packeged stuff is full of fat and sodium. the sodium and sugar content of many of the low fat products is sky high.

we can help you. it will help us if you list exactly what and how much you eat. measuring your food is important. that way you are getting the right portion size.

i know in other posts, you said you love peanut butter. it's vey high in fat and sugar. it's not something you should eat very often or very much of.

it's a learning process. my brain is full of this stuff, since i have been doing it for a living forever.

Curious 05-18-2008 06:26 PM

HELP alffe...blech..i can't stomach the v-8 juice. so far in the book i can't find a substitute for it.