NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Women's Health (https://www.neurotalk.org/women-s-health/)
-   -   GARDASIL VACCINE NOT PROVEN SAFE for young girls (https://www.neurotalk.org/women-s-health/7215-gardasil-vaccine-proven-safe-girls.html)

Chemar 11-25-2006 10:16 AM

GARDASIL VACCINE NOT PROVEN SAFE for young girls

very interesting article on the HPV vaccine from Merck and what it has not been upfront about with regard to the safety issues of giving this to young girls.........

a quote from the article
Quote:

Nobody at Merck, the CDC or FDA know if the injection of Gardasil into all pre-teen girls - especially simultaneously with hepatitis B vaccine - will make some of them more likely to develop arthritis or other inflammatory autoimmune and brain disorders as teenagers and adults.
here is the full article

http://www.inciid.org/article.php?cat=cancer&id=433

:rolleyes:

Curious 11-25-2006 12:00 PM

:eek: oh my goodness chemar! thank you soooo much for posting this. our dr has mentioned for lil'monkey to have it on her check up next month. i emailed him the link to the article.

Lara 11-25-2006 03:20 PM

Gardasil is one HUGE political hot potato here in Australia this month.

e.g. How's this for a headline on a govt. website ...
Australian Government Funding Of Gardasil® 15 November 2006

:rolleyes:

[p.s. just a note about giving it with hep B vaccine... The directions for giving Gardasil specifically state that they can be given at the same _time_, but must be given in separate areas of the body... not together in the one site. Not that it's any reassurance at present. ]

mrsD 11-25-2006 10:04 PM

Oh, Blech....

another vaccine nightmare (like LymeRix)

http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/ac/.../3680b2_17.pdf

Thanks for posting, Chemar!

That commercial on TV will sway many women to get the vaccine, and
I bet few if any research it first. Most don't!:(

Wittesea 11-26-2006 01:20 PM

My autoimmune problems started after getting a flu shot... so it's quite easy for me to believe that other vaccines can do the same thing.

jccgf 11-26-2006 07:04 PM

Thanks for the post! I was planning to pass on this for my daughter, but now I will do so with even more reason.

Cara

mrsD 11-27-2006 05:55 PM

Hi, Cara...

I'd suggest you wait 2 yrs... and by then all the crap will fall out if it is there to fall out. (until then, really stress and explain why to your daughter--use a condom!). The more partners, the higher the risk of HPV... which is epidemic right now. If women are conservative, careful, the risk is less for HPV.

Merck is really banking (literally) on this vaccine...for the reasons, legal, financial concerning Vioxx costs. (they have 30,000 lawsuits still pending).

Most of the bad news for LymeRix came out fairly quickly. Also certain genotypes seem to be affected. Check the LymeRix link, as the genotype that reacts autoimmune is listed there. HLA-DR4...not sure if that is the same genotype for this vaccine however.
Those people with that marker are more likely to react I would expect.

Here is some perspective:
Quote:

First, some history. The new vaccine, known as Gardasil, was approved earlier this month by the Food and Drug Administration, as the first ever designed to prevent cancer; it works by guarding against the human papillomavirus (HPV), which is thought to cause about three of every four cases of cervical cancer, the second most common cancer among women, and the third most deadly around the world. It kills close to 4000 women each year in the U.S. alone.
With pap screening, 4000 deaths is not a lot with cancer these days.
I would like to see figures on hysterectomy due to + paps.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...206813,00.html

Would this vaccine make people more casual with sex? would other diseases like Herpes, HIV, become more prevalent? Since people would stop safe sex with condoms? Or keeping partners exclusive?

So sensible activity...still is the best preventative, IMO.

Lara 11-29-2006 02:15 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1799987.htm

Quote:

Wednesday, November 29, 2006. 11:41am (AEDT)

PM announces cervical cancer vaccination program

The Federal Government has announced a national vaccination program for the cervical cancer drug, Gardasil.

From next April all girls aged 12 and 13 will be vaccinated, while a catch-up program will also operate through schools for those aged up to 18.

It will also be available through GPs for the next two years for women aged 18 to 26.

A decision on subsidising the drug was initially rejected by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee, but Prime Minister John Howard says a better deal has been reached.

"This represents an excellent outcome so that this great Australian drug can be made widely and cheaply available for Australian women," he said.

"It's a wonderful breakthrough treating cervical cancer, providing protection from cervical cancer."
bold in both articles added by me.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800460.htm

Quote:

Wednesday, November 29, 2006. 5:08pm (AEDT)
The Federal Government has given the go ahead for the $436 million immunisation program which will be carried out through schools from April next year.

~scrabble 12-02-2006 01:08 PM

I had an appointment this week with my GP and I asked him about this vaccine. He said it is a series of 3 shots and it costs $400. (I live in Canada) :eek: He also told me that he would wait a year or 2 to see how things go with it. My daughter is 14 and she and I talked about the vaccine as well as other info relating to HPV.

thanks

moose53 12-02-2006 02:11 PM

I've got a BAD-BAD feeling about this drug.

I posted in response to something Dr. John posted awhile back:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=7604

I think parents would be making a HUGE mistake on agreeing to this drug now. Maybe later -- after it's been tested.

Barb

Electra 02-26-2007 11:55 AM

Vaccination - the largest human experiement undertaking without our knowledge or consent.

So far VA has added Gardisil to the "required" immunization list, it's up for approval by the legislation. On the 2nd page, where it talks about exemptions they have added that the guardian can opt their daughter out after reading the materials and signing a special exemption separate from the 2 currently available for use in VA.

The problem with the exemption is that no one educates most parents that they exist and that vaccination is not mandatory.

Curious 02-26-2007 12:13 PM

the word is getting out about that electra. parent's are spreading the word that we do have a choice. mass emails.

if gov perry here in texas doesn't get over written on this...there will be masses of girls getting home schooled.

Lara 05-22-2007 05:08 PM

There's been a lot in our media the past 24 hrs regarding a number of girls from a high school in Australia who had some reactions to the vaccine. The government has been all over it saying that the reaction was basically anxiety. It's not mentioned in that particular story but one of the girls on TV last night with her mother said that she lost feeling in her legs. Her mother denied it was an anxiety reaction to receiving a vaccine and said the girl had received vaccines in the past. All very weird. Especially how adamant the Minister from the Govt. was about it only being an anxiety reaction. It all sounded very odd to me.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1930476.htm
Quote:

ast Update: Wednesday, May 23, 2007. 7:00am (AEST)
Six reactions to cervical cancer vaccine

ACT Health authorities say there have been six reported cases where teenage girls have had a reaction to the cervical cancer vaccine, Gardasil.

26 girls at a Victorian College have also become ill and some were taken to hospital earlier this month after being vaccinated.

In Canberra 4,000 school girls have been vaccinated since the national program was introduced four weeks ago.

Six girls were taken to hospital after feeling faint, but authorities say they were released soon after.

The ACT Acting Chief Health Officer Dr Charles Guest says the vaccination is safe.

"I believe at this point, anxiety and anticipation of a needle is most likely to be the problem," he said.

"Whether it's actually some component of the vaccine that will emerge over time, but I think that's very unlikely."

Lara 05-22-2007 05:12 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common...7/s1929912.htm
The World Today - ABC Australia
Abbott plays down Gardasil side effects
The World Today - Tuesday, 22 May , 2007 12:18:00
Reporter: Gavin Fang

<snipped quotes>

Quote:

MOTHER: Basically she had collapsed. There was no sort of reaction from her at all whatsoever. She was unable to move her limbs or arms, not able to talk to us for quite a few hours.
Quote:

Dr David says the symptoms that have been described are common responses to any vaccination. She says what people claim is paralysis is actually a panic attack, although the vaccine does have some side effects.
say what???

p.s. the Dr David mentioned in this article above is - Dr David is Director of Public Affairs at CSL. Manufacturer of Gardasil.

Calm urged over Gardasil vaccinations
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2007/s1930270.htm
PM - Tuesday, 22 May , 2007 18:31:47
Reporter: Samantha Donovan
Quote:

SAMANTHA DONOVAN: Professor Ian Frazer was named Australian of the Year in 2006 for his research, which led to the development of Gardisal.

Professor Frazer was unavailable to speak with PM this afternoon.

But in a written statement to the program Professor Frazer says that young women sometimes faint when given injections or vaccinations. He says mass fainting attacks are well described in young women, with or without administration of injections, and usually represent auto-suggestion.

Professor Frazer says that fainting after Gardasil is therefore to be expected, is well described, and isn't due to the vaccine so much as to the vaccination, and can be avoided by having a person lie down when getting the injection.

Chemar 05-23-2007 08:54 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

post vaccine fainting by "autosuggestion"????

yeah right!!

:Sigh:

Lara 05-23-2007 02:43 PM

I know. Can you believe that? How could they say such a thing. I couldn't believe these important people were sitting there saying this stuff as if we were all going to just believe them.

mrsD 05-24-2007 11:17 AM

new evidence for HPV for other disease...

This alarming article :

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20070512/fob1.asp
Quote:

"It's worth considering the possibility that some oral, oropharyngeal, and laryngeal cancers might be prevented by HPV vaccination," dentist Stina Syrjänen of the University of Turku in Finland says in the journal issue carrying the new study. Merck is currently marketing a vaccine against HPV under the name Gardasil.
suggests new criteria for Gardasil? Something to think about!

Ellie 05-25-2007 10:45 AM

I'm very hesitant with any shot that's 'new' along with taking 'new' medications. It seems to be a trend that a few years after the 'new' wears off I see a ton of commercials from lawyers saying, "If you took xxx or yyy, please call us right away" and then say how many people died or ended up with permanent problems due to said shot or pill.

My GYN offered me the 'new' shot to help prevent cervical cancer since I'm high risk. I passed. I've been with the same partner for a long time, and have no plans to end up with a new partner and I trust him just fine. I'd rather just not have sex than have one of these shots.

Granted, I'm pretty hesitant to take anything my GYN's offer me since they have been fibbers to me in the past. During my pre-term labor stint, my GYN told me the constant IV I had of Magnesium Sulfate for 50 some odd days was safe for me and my unborn child. The only side effect being that I'd feel groggy. If I had Google back then, I'd have gone home and hired a nurse to keep me loaded on saline.

With all of these problems coming up with these 'new' things, I can't help but to feel very awful for people without access to communities like these who share this information or even the internet/google to research things before trying them.

AfterMyNap 05-27-2007 11:49 PM

This is so frightening to me and I'm not even a mom. I just can't imagine sending my daughter into so potentially serious a situation without a mountain of information.

Equally frightening is VA, and aussie, Lara's gov't basically sanctioning it with the flavor of a new law.

I know many young girls in that age bracket and I will beg their parents to read these links carefully, soon. Thank you all, this is remarkable.:Thanx:

macgirl 07-28-2007 02:31 PM

They were considering making it mandatory in my area to attend school (well there was much talk of it), and I would never agree to it. I don't think it's safe myself, and this helps confirm my suspicions. Thank you for posting this!

mrsD 10-08-2007 08:55 PM

I'm bumping this up:

here is some more scary stuff on Gardisil:

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/1887
Quote:

Gardasil Linked to Blood Clots, Seizures and Even Death
Date Published: Monday, October 8th, 2007

Gardasil, the much-touted vaccine against cervical cancer, might not be as safe as once thought. The conservative group Judicial Watch has obtained documents that indicate that Gardasil may have been responsible for thousands of serious injuries, including blood clots and seizures, and possibly several deaths. The new Gardasil revelations are disturbing, as efforts are underway in several states to make the vaccine mandatory for young girls.
So much for mandatory compliance, IMO!

jccgf 10-09-2007 03:14 PM

Here is one that focuses more on Guillain Barre' Syndrome after Gardasil ..not sure if it has been posted yet~

http://www.aapsonline.org/nod/newsofday458.php

Jodispeaks 05-26-2008 08:47 AM

Beware Gardasil!

My 17 year old daughter had her first Gardasil shot in the end of Nov. She had the second shot in the end of Jan. On March 30th, she had her first seizure and they have been recurring ever since. We have see two neurologists, had CT scans, MRI's, EEG's -- all of which have been normal. She recently was hospitalized for one week and had video EEG monitoring, also which was normal.

There is no seziures or epilepsy in our family nor has my daughter ever had any head trauma. She has been taking different anti-seizural medications for about 4 weeks.

We believe this to be a direct result of the Gardasil vaccine.

We are desperate for help.

moose53 05-27-2008 11:49 AM

((((((Jodi)))))),

I'm so sorry :( I've had a very bad feeling about this drug and the speed with which it was rushed to market and also MANDATED by states to vaccinate our children.

This is some additional information about Gardasil and seizures (and other critical events): http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...dasil+seizures

I pray -- I pray that your daughter is OK. From hanging around in the Child Neuro forums for quite a few years, I have learned that diagnostics for seizure causes does not always register seizures that are deep in the brain. This may or may not be true in your daughter's case. Please-please stay on top of this and demand that the doctors find out what or if there is anything wrong with your daughter. It also might possibly be that the Gardasil activated some condition that was always there in a dormant form.

Parents are the best advocates for their kids and know their kids better than any medical person. Stay on top of this and watch out for your daughter.

I'd say too -- based on my heart- and gut instincts -- to not ever give her this crap again. But, I imagine you've already figured that out.

Bless you both. My prayers are with you and especially your daughter. Hugs.

Barb

Noidy 05-29-2008 06:02 PM

Makes me angry that some states forced people to have those shots and now this. Scary.

Noidy 05-29-2008 06:06 PM

One more thought on this.. i don't see what business states across the country have forcing a cervical cancer vaccine on anyone. After all, aren't vaccines to keep children from passing illnesses in school? Isn't cervical cancer thought to be caused by a std, known as HPV. So unless teachers aren't doing their jobs right, hpv shouldn't be a threat while a child is in school, so the vaccine should be the families decision to begin with. :mad:

Curious 06-04-2008 01:24 PM

:(
i talked with lil'monkey about this.

they are NOT educating the girls about this.

she said most of the girls she knows that got this shot became sexually active AFTER getting it. they think it protects them from ALL STDs.

it was scary reading some of the bullitins on her myspace. over and over posting about having "cold sores" and fighting with people saying cold sores ARE NOT herpes. :(

mrsD 06-04-2008 05:58 PM

The truth of the matter...

on the one side:

Human papilloma virus is an epidemic today. (more than 1 million new cases in US each year). Maybe more since I checked those stats last time.

BUT---
This vaccine is untried....there are no long term studies on it. And as vaccines go today...they tend to be dangerous.

I think proper education in the home is the only way to stop the spread of STDs in this country. It is the NUMBER ONE task of parents of teens, followed closely by education about drugs--recreational and RX.

Our kids spend alot of time with peers who influence them. My son had a terrible time resisting casual sex when he joined a band, in his late teens. He had to quit when drug use became apparent (it wasn't obvious at first) and the cruising for sex became more common. He ended up as designated driver
and finally got totally grossed out. He quit...and told me about it. I have to say he was strong, and I am proud. I did make him get testing in college--which was free and confidential. He passed as negative.

It is harder and harder for parents these days. And I guess there is NO substitute for parents not allowing kids to raise their kids!

Jodispeaks 06-21-2008 09:21 AM

Barb, thank you very much for the kind words... things are no better for my daughter. We continue to try to find a doctor to listen. My daughter continues to have seizures and has missed the last three months of her junior year. I have no idea what next school year will bring. We may have to inquire about a cyber school. This is a nightmare.

We are going to another neurologist on July 2nd...who will hopefully listen to our story and try to help my daughter.

moose53 06-21-2008 07:54 PM

((((((Jodi)))))),

This just breaks my heart :( Our kids are the one asset that we have that is not decreasing in value. You'd think that the medical society, as a whole, and our government would work to protect that asset with their very being ...

I know it can take a long time to diagnose the causes of seizures and longer still to find a drug combination that will work.

There are good Child Neurology and Epilepsy forums
Connect as much as you can with parents on both forums and read as much as you can. The strength of the parents working together is what's going to solve this for you.

There's incredible research being done in the field of epilepsy. Hopefully, through research and through friends, both real-life and cyber, and through your own strength and determination, you will get and keep your daughter strong and healthy so that she's ready for her miracle when it comes.

You have a ton of support standing with you, Jodi. Feel it and rely on it and use it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...orever-003.gif

We're all praying for healing and health for your daughter and strength for your Mother's heart, Jodi. Bless you both. BIG HUGS.

Barb http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...grouphug-d.gif

NewsBot 07-09-2008 05:20 PM

Questions Surround HPV Vaccine Gardasil (Topix)

(Topix) Some question the value of giving Gardasil to girls as young as 11; others fear the vaccine is responsible for thousands of reported "adverse effects" in recipients.

Read the full article...

(From Topix Health)

NewsBot 10-09-2008 03:30 PM

1 in 4 US teen girls got cervical cancer shot (AP) (Yahoo)

AP - One in four teen girls have rolled up their sleeves for the relatively new vaccine against cervical cancer, federal health officials said Thursday.

Read the full article...

(From Yahoo)

Idas 10-11-2008 12:48 AM

HPV'r

:crazy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewsBot (Post 385307)
AP - One in four teen girls have rolled up their sleeves for the relatively new vaccine against cervical cancer, federal health officials said Thursday.

Read the full article...

(From Yahoo)

Hi NewsBot,
Unfortunately I was told last year that I have the disease. I really don't know that much about it. I went on some web sites to learn what I could. And my Dr. wasn't very helpful when I asked her questions, she acted like it was no big deal. Said we would just watch it. That it could just disappear on it's own. (which I don't get:confused:since the news has made it such a big deal.) For me, having this disease is the least of my problems. When you've all ready been told you have a brain tumor among other things, you start to think well sure, why not! What's one more disease. . . bring it on! I'm not sexually active and don't ever expect to be again. And I've had my kids so I don't have much use for my cervix anyway.:crazy: Still, I do have a sexually active (adult) daughter and despite this hitting so close to home, I'm not sure I would want her to get the vaccine yet. I know this sounds crazy, but I just don't trust these drug makers any more. It seems like they are so anxious to make money, that they take shortcuts on the testing. And just today there was a commercial on TV that said people are sick & dying after receiving the vaccination:eek: Of course this is lawyers looking for clients, can't trust them either:mad2: I just don't know who to believe or trust anymore.:confused:

Chemar 02-07-2009 11:35 AM

new concerns over safety of Gardasil vaccine

http://www.wwj.com/pages/3806893.php...tentId=3484161