NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Norfolk baby eagle is ILL !! (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/46141-norfolk-baby-eagle-ill.html)

mrsD 05-20-2008 11:47 AM

Norfolk baby eagle is ILL !!

I am making a separate thread for those interested.
The details of this new unfortunate development are on the
Baby eagles in the nest thread on this page.

Alffe 05-20-2008 12:18 PM

:( What next for this family!! Thanks Mrs.D. ~sigh

Doody 05-20-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 283348)
:( What next for this family!! Thanks Mrs.D. ~sigh

:( hearing about this and Ted Kennedy on the same day. *sigh is right. :(

mrsD 05-20-2008 03:17 PM

I am worried...

I Googled avian pox... and this is a serious disease.

The parents can catch it. It is transmitted via mosquitos, and also bird to bird.

I have noticed the parents keeping a distance now from the chick. But I thought that was a move toward independence. Last I looked the mother eagle was watching the chick from a nearby branch...staring at it actually.

Now there is a terrible storm there, and the cam is down.
Severe storms (in the red zone) for a while now.

I am thinking they will take the chick... to a place to raise it.
I wonder if that happens, if the parents leave? Or will they wait for it?

mrsD 05-22-2008 07:25 AM

Another sad event~~

The Santa Cruz eagle cam has also had a terrible event.

It appears that other eagles attack nests! ??

Both chicks there were attacked and are now recovering from their injuries.

It was caught on video too... it is hard to watch...sensitive people here may
wish to not view this:

And the video feed for Norfolk appears down this morning. I'll check the chat room around 9am, to follow the removal of the Norfolk chick for examination by the vet.

It is 9:02 and they will start soon...the vet has been delayed by traffic at a tunnel.
the chat room has a record # of people logging in... 207 so far. It is read only on the special events portion.

9:29--the vet has arrived...there are 300 in the chat!

10:11am The eaglet is in the vets hands, and he is taking a biopsy. The growth has appeared to have grown very rapidly.
It may not be Avian pox. The parents are in the air circling the nest. There are 340 people in the chat!

Chemar 05-22-2008 09:16 AM

life can be so sad sometimes huh...

I havent been eagel cam watching this season as I get too absorbed, and am time - strapped multitask mode since my hubby's recent illness flares......

I hope those little injured ones heal well, and my prayers for the Norfolk eagle family, especially the sick lil one, plus that the others wont have or get this. :grouphug:

mrsD 05-22-2008 09:22 AM

Sad :(

The Vet has decided to NOT return the eaglet to the nest.

They are taking it away to a rehab center.

The parents will then leave the nest. It is over for the cam.

But we can hope the vets can save this little tyke!
Quote:

Norfolk Botanical: The eaglet will not be going back into the nest today
Norfolk Botanical: The eaglet will be taken to a rehabilitation center
Norfolk Botanical: it will probably be to the Wildlife Center of VA at Lyndhurst (near Waynesboro). What the course of treatment will be depends on the extent disease.
Norfolk Botanical: Dr Jonathan Sleeman is the vet performing the examination today. He works with the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
more:
Quote:

Norfolk Botanical: The growth seems large and agressive and is starting to interfere with his breathing on his left nostril
Norfolk Botanical: It may interfere with eating soon
Norfolk Botanical: He is being put in a transport box now
Norfolk Botanical: They have taken tissue samples and will send to make a correct diagnosis
Norfolk Botanical: Blood samples were taken as well
As disappointing as this situation is....I expect the biologists will learn alot from this situation.
And if this condition is contagious...all the more reason to remove the chick to protect the parents.

mrsD 05-22-2008 12:33 PM

Here is some more info from the chat...

I had to leave this morning... so I found it posted:

Quote:

Norfolk Botanical: VDGIF biologist will address the media about the situation.
Norfolk Botanical: Biologist is Stephen Living
Norfolk Botanical: He will also post more details in his blog at the VDGIF site
Norfolk Botanical: According the vet - the mass is growing rapidly and needs an operation
Norfolk Botanical: It is not sure that this is Avian Pox - the mass has grown faster than thought
Norfolk Botanical: Ideal treatment would include removal of mass and complete recovery and release to the wild
Norfolk Botanical: the baby will not likely be returned to the nest - recovery will probably take too long but release will most likely be in this area
Norfolk Botanical: Biopsy was taken from the tip of the mass
Norfolk Botanical: Parents may show some stress but these birds have proved resilient and should return to normal in a few days. Will continue to hunting in the area
Norfolk Botanical: These were comments made by Dr. Sleemand and Stephen Living
Norfolk Botanical: The mandible was starting to become deformed due to mass and needed care
Norfolk Botanical: The adults will hang around for several days before leaving the nesting site
wvec-moderator: Thank you to the Norfolk Botanical Garden staff for giving us the play by play of the events this morning.
Norfolk Botanical: Dr. Sleeman does not think this is avion pox
Norfolk Botanical: This has a larger mass than avian pox
Norfolk Botanical: He will wait to see what lab results are before stating disease
Norfolk Botanical: He will ask that the testing be expidited
Norfolk Botanical: Thank you to WVEC and VDGIF for their help in this project
I just checked the cam and it shows the parents sitting on a branch in another tree near the nest.

mrsD 05-23-2008 07:25 AM

the Wildlife Center...

Here is a link to the place they took the chick:

They will post on the website, updates about his treatment.
It is a pretty interesting website for nature lovers.

For example I just read about an injured duck, taken there, that died.
It had duck osteoporosis, from poor nutrition. I.E. depending on human
feeding of bread and popcorn! NOT good for ducks! How many people know THAT?

The Norfolk eagles are spending time in their "love"tree. It is close to the
nest, and I have seen a picture of it. Looks like they are waiting to see if the humans bring the chick back! They are familiar with removing from the nest,
since their previous chicks have been banded. (removed for 1/2 a day).

The Wildlife Center has said that they will allow pictures and updates -- so I will post these on this thread as
I find them.

mrsD 05-23-2008 10:20 AM

News story on the eaglet--with pictures and video!

here is a very new/interesting story on the eaglet:

mrsD 05-24-2008 09:45 AM

X-rays of the baby:

Here is an update on the baby:

The Xrays show that the bone on that side IS different!
But the sinuses are clear, so far.

So now he gets an MRI....
I sure hope it is NOT cancer! I think we can all guess what that means if
it turns out to be.

One has to wonder... do you think it is possible to be some parasite from
the squirrels who lived below?

FeelinGoofy 05-24-2008 11:48 AM

I was wondering that exact same think Mrs D!!!!!!!! LOL
I've been keeping up on the latest with little guy/gal and have been praying its not cancer.... :hug:

mrsD 05-25-2008 08:38 AM

new article on the Eaglet:

There is a new article out on the progress and testing of the eaglet:

The wording is ominous... invasive, etc....

Quote:

Saturday’s scan was the third time in the last nine years Augusta Medical Center has donated the use of its MRI facilities for a wildlife center patient, said Al Jones, MRI supervisor for the hospital. After minor difficulties adapting the bird to the people-sized machine – a knee brace was used to stabilize its head – the bird, sleeping soundly after a dose of anesthesia, slid into the cavernous machine while three veterinarians anxiously looked on.
A complete diagnosis of the cause and nature of the walnut-sized lump won’t be available until early next week, but the initial results of the MRI were mixed, said Dr. Dave McRuer, director of veterinary services at the Wildlife Center of Virginia.
“The growth is invasive, but it’s not as bad as it could be,” he said.
Results from a biopsy sent Thursday to a specialized, regional laboratory in Georgia will help determine whether the growth is a viral or bacterial infection or a tumor, McRuer said.
“It could be a number of different things, including the virus Avian Pox,” McRuer said. “But I’ve never seen [Avian Pox] look like this: This is much bigger and more aggressive ... This is very rare. I’ve never seen a tumor like this in a bird of any species.”
While the prognosis for the little eaglet remains dangerously up in the air, a number of factors are working in its favor, said Edward Clark, president and co-founder of the Virginia Wildlife Center. To begin with, he said, it will receive the finest, most advanced medical treatment available.
I guess we will know more next week!

BJ 05-25-2008 09:22 AM

I hope this little guy/girl will be okay. I've been following them since December. I saw the others MrsD being pushed out of their nest. I hope they make it too. :hug:

mrsD 05-25-2008 03:39 PM

results of MRI....

this is depressing. It doesn't sound good.
Quote:

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Update
May 25, 2008

This report was filed by Dr. Dave McRuer, Director of Veterinary Services at the Wildlife Center of Virginia:

The Bald Eagle nestling was taken to the Augusta Medical Center in Fishersville on Saturday afternoon [May 24] to undergo an MRI on the soft-tissue mass located on the upper beak. The purpose of this diagnostic test was to allow the veterinarians to better evaluate the extent of the mass and to better estimate how invasive it had become. The eagle was intubated and placed under general anesthesia in order to keep it perfectly still for the MRI scan. The scan took approximately 20 minutes, with the bird asleep for approximately 25 minutes. Speed was of utmost importance in order to avoid complications.

The MRI indicated that the mass had not only grown out and away from the beak, but also internally into the nasal sinus. Thus far, the mass is localized to just the front aspect of the sinus and has not crossed the septum into the front right sinus. Nonetheless, the mass has invaded both the keratin surface of the beak and the associated underlying bone. This information will be used, along with the biopsy results expected on May 28 or 29, to determine prognosis and potential treatment options.

The eagle was returned to the Wildlife Center following the MRI and was heartily eating within one hour of the trip.
also snipped:
Quote:

“We’re getting financial support and inquiries about this bird from as far away as British Columbia,” Clark said. “We would give this kind of care to any patient, but the fact that this bird is a celebrity provides some incentive to really go the extra mile.”
It also provides a priceless opportunity to promote the wildlife center’s underlying agenda, he said.
“We take care of individual animals, and that’s an important part of what we do,” Clark said. “But clinical care is also a
vehicle: Each case gives us a window to see larger environmental problems affecting wildlife.”
The eaglet’s condition is a prime example of this principle he said: Whatever caused the extraordinarily rare growth –
possibilities include pesticides, pollution, toxins in the food supply – could easily impact other animals in the Norfolk area,
including humans, he said.
The fact that people around the world feel an emotional link to this particular bird will certainly help raise awareness of larger issues as well, he said.
“That’s what sets the Wildlife Center apart from most other centers that care for wildlife: Just fixing the eagle isn’t enough – we’ve got to figure out what made it sick.”
I hope this last quote means, that they will try to treat him/her....and not just euthanize him/her too quickly.

This link will show pictures of the MRI procedure....they are very interesting...

Corkybird 05-25-2008 10:27 PM

I never thought of it possibly being something from the squirrels, they WERE visiting the nest one day. This little guy/girl has surely been in the thoughts of so many people all over North America..even before he was even an EGG many of us were hoping that Ma & Pa Eagle would lay another successful one.

FeelinGoofy 05-27-2008 10:24 AM

Heres another article about the eaglet..... :(

mrsD 05-27-2008 12:19 PM

I keep hoping....

That a treatment will present itself! It is so sad to watch this happen. :Sob:

You know, everything in that eaglet seems to be growing very fast...like the tissues are programed for that. He has doubled in size since last Weds!
He's eaten 14 mice in one day! WOW...

So maybe when he reaches full growth, the tumor will stop too?

I also wonder if the parents inadvertently fed him from a diseased bird or fish and the cancer cells from that food, took root on the beak? That is where
the contact would have been.

I hope they don't euthanize him too soon. As long as he seems happy and is eating etc, I think they could learn alot from him.

Corkybird 05-27-2008 09:00 PM

As of Tuesday Morn...

I read this on the eagle blog for the Norfolk Bot. Garden.....

The young eagle was examined first thing this morning and appears to be in normal chatty spirits. The bird is gaining weight dramatically and takes food without hesitation.

The mass has again increased in size since Saturday and now protrudes below the cutting surface of the upper beak. :(:shocked::Bawling:

We've all followe this eagle family for months now, through all their mishaps of trying to mate and have an eaglet actually HATCH...now the one and only one that LIVED has been taken into rehab with not the greatest chances of survival without some human assistance for a LOONNNGGG time.

Much thanks to each and everyone that works and involved in the rehab of the little one (vet says it MIGHT be a male, comparison to some indications that they commonly use).

Hugs,

Marilyn

mrsD 05-29-2008 06:14 AM

Update....

Quote:

UPDATE: May 28 2008, 3:00pm
by Dr. Dave McRuer, Director of Veterinary Services at the Wildlife Center of Virginia

We performed an in-house test of the eaglet's blood for lead (a common contaminant that brings Bald Eagles to our Center). The levels were below detection, indicating that this is not a contributing factor causing the mass on the beak. Blood was taken today for several other tests aimed at ruling out an environmental source. These tests include a panel looking for heavy-metal contamination and organophosphates, a common group of chemicals used in pesticides. Results should be in by the end of the week.

The mass itself continues to grow. A swelling has recently developed on the roof of the mouth, directly under the soft tissue mass. This swelling was not present when the bird arrived at Wildlife Center and is not encouraging. In addition, the top beak has begun to deviate in the direction of the mass leaving the tip of the beak at least 1/4 inch to the left of the same point on the bottom beak. Our theory is that with the disruption in the bone under the mass, the growth of the beak has slowed down compared to the same bone on the right side of the beak. As a result, the healthy right side is literally pushing/curving the upper beak to the left.

Our current treatment plan includes antibiotics to help fight secondary bacterial infections, antifungal drugs to prevent the occurrence of aspergillosis (a common fungal disease in raptors that are enduring stress), and medications to help boost the immune system. The mass is also being scrubbed daily with iodine to slow its growth and help keep any open wounds clean. We are still awaiting authorization to release biopsy results from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

mrsD 05-29-2008 10:20 AM

More news....

They have released the biopsy results:

Avian Pox:

Quote:

Avian pox caused growth on eaglet's beak

06:20 PM EDT on Wednesday, May 28, 2008

By 13News

WAYNESBORO – Veterinarians at the Wildlife Center of Virginia say the mass on the beak of the eaglet taken from Norfolk Botanical Garden was caused by avian pox.

Avian pox is a viral disease generally spread through mosquitoes, but it can be spread from bird to bird.

Wildlife Center of Virginia

Tests confirm the eaglet has avian pox.

Now, officials are working on a course of treatment. Options include antibiotics to fight secondary infections, antifungal drugs to prevent secondary fungal diseases common to raptors in captivity and medications to help boost the immune system.

Additionally, the month-old eaglet will likely need surgery, officials say.
This at least means they will try to treat him....there is some experience with Avian Pox.
Perhaps he will survive but live in a wildlife sanctuary situation.
I'd hate to see him euthanized!

There is a photo of the slide of the biopsy here:

mrsD 05-30-2008 02:30 PM

here are excerpts from a chat held today:

This is part of the transcript from WVEC chat room:

Quote:

[2008.05.30 13:38:47] Lefty: It was mentioned about the soft swelling on the roof of the mouth. Has this increased and gotten worse?
[2008.05.30 13:40:09] Ed Clark: Yes, it has gotten worse. We are now treating this virus using some of the same protocols and drugs used to treat HIV, including interferon. At $500 per bottle, we don't keep it on hand, but the drug arrived today and the treatment has been started. We hope this slows the growth of the lesion
[2008.05.30 13:40:55] Bee: What type of surgery is contemplated at this time? How extensive will it be (possibe removal of some of the beak)?
[2008.05.30 13:42:30] Ed Clark: The surgery will be extremely invasive to the side of the beak. What we don't know is the condition of the underlying bone. That is the real question at this point. A lot of people have suggested prosthetics, but that is unlikely to be our first choice, and may not be an option at all if the bone has eroded
[2008.05.30 13:42:52] bird watcher2: Is the eaglet in any pain or is he suffering in any way?
[2008.05.30 13:44:24] Ed Clark: No! The bird is comfortable and has actually been started on an anelgesic to control any pain. We have reason to believe that prior to the use of this pain control drug, the bird's beak had become sensitive. Pain is a stressor that can affect immunity so we want to control pain, just like controlling infection
[2008.05.30 13:45:17] TracyLynn: Whats the probability of nest being infected, and would it affect the next clutch next year
[2008.05.30 13:45:21] Ed Clark: I'm good to continue another 30 minutes if you like....beyond the hour
[2008.05.30 13:45:51] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 13:46:10] Ed Clark: I really don't think that is likely to be the case, even though theoretically it is possible. This virus is in the environment anyway.
[2008.05.30 13:46:24] Artsy Mom: Is this chick in danger of expiring due to its condition and is it being quarantined to prevent spreading the virus?
[2008.05.30 13:48:05] Ed Clark: I am taking that as two questions..... Yes, the little bird's life still hangs in the balance. Just because we know what the problem is does not mean it is not still extremely grave. Second, it has been isolated to keep it away from other patients and insulated from stressful activities and noise
[2008.05.30 13:48:32] Ed Clark: good....let's go until 2:30 or until we run out of questions
[2008.05.30 13:48:54] Ed Clark: Shall we announce that?
[2008.05.30 13:49:13] Louise: Is it possible that some contaminants are in the area where the chick was born. also what about the possibility of tainted food he has been eating
[2008.05.30 13:49:14] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 13:49:45] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 13:50:42] Ed Clark: You have hit on a point that goes to the larger conservation concerns raised by this case. Yes, it is definitely possible that other pollutants or contaminants have cause this bird to be weak.... We are conducting tests for metals and pesticides now
[2008.05.30 13:51:04] tweety: Is there any possible connection between avian pox and the behavior of the paretns towards the intruder earlier this season? It seemed to be less agressive than expected.
[2008.05.30 13:51:45] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 13:52:10] Ed Clark: I'm not sure we can make that leap of logic. There are lots of reasons for birds to react aggressively or not. I don't know enough about what happened to speculate
[2008.05.30 13:52:27] kathy: How long can it be kept in captivity before being released into the wild becomes impossible?
[2008.05.30 13:53:01] Ed Clark: That is not our limiting factor. We have held eagles for more than a year before returning them to the wild.
[2008.05.30 13:53:41] ostrich: Ed, one news report stated there are some new anti-viral therapies that might be used in this case. Can you elaborate on this at all, as I understood normally the options for directly treating the virus itself are limited (i.e. treatment consists of preventing other complications until the bird's own immune system can ward off the virus)
[2008.05.30 13:55:38] Ed Clark: We are using what are certainly unusual therapies for veterinary medicine....i.e. interferon, a human drug. We are investigating other things as well. There have been interesting studies showing that echinacea helps with immunity in raptors and we're even using that
[2008.05.30 13:56:02] HARDCOREEaglelover: Did you get the question about if the eaglet is likely to get more pox on him or if this one is the only one he will have to fight?
[2008.05.30 13:57:29] Ed Clark: We believe that, like most viruses, the body will develop anti-bodies to defend against future infection, much like people only get chicken-pox one time. I'm not sure that has been tested and proven, but we have no reason to believe otherwise
[2008.05.30 13:58:02] CatLuver: Untreated, what is the natural progression of AP?
[2008.05.30 13:59:34] Ed Clark: Untreated, and in "normal" cases, the lesions form much like warts, become inflamed and sometimes cause problems with vision or breathing, but eventually will subside if they do not overwhelm the victim. Eventually, the "warts" and lesions go away and leave only scars. It can take quite a while though.
[2008.05.30 13:59:57] Chris: Is the avia pox cutaneous or diptheritic
[2008.05.30 14:01:07] Ed Clark: The test identifying it as pox did not "type" the virus. It makes no difference to us in the treatment protocol whether it is "dry" pox or "wet" pox. Treatment is identical.
[2008.05.30 14:01:27] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 14:01:58] tweety: Have any results been released on the two eggs removed from the nest? Were they tested for avian pox?
[2008.05.30 14:02:31] Ed Clark: I do not know. That question will have to go to the state agency or to the Center for Conservation Biology. We were not involved in that.
[2008.05.30 14:03:19] christina: When treatment is done and hopefully sucessful will the eaglet be relesaed back in this area?
[2008.05.30 14:05:18] Ed Clark: It is too soon to speculate, but the release site will likely be determined by where we can find a concentration of other young eagles. They learn a great deal from each other.....and they steal food from each other until they learn to fish on their own. For young birds like this, we often choose the bald eagle refuge on the James River where a very large number of juveniles concentrate.
[2008.05.30 14:05:29] Ed Clark: We are a long way from planning that event, though
[2008.05.30 14:06:02] EagleWatcher: is he being watched 24hrs a day
[2008.05.30 14:07:13] Ed Clark: No, there is no reason to do so. Watching him actually ads stress to the bird. He really just eats, sleeps and poops, so it is not much for spectators at this moment. He is checked regularly, but is not under constant surveillance.
[2008.05.30 14:07:32] Skipper: If the virus has affected the growth of the eaglet's beak, once the growth is removed, will the beak "fix" itself or will they have to do some kind of reconstructive surgery? If the surgeons have to reconstruct the beak, will the eaglet be released to the wild?
[2008.05.30 14:09:24] Ed Clark: Great questions, but we can't really answer them yet. If the beak is not too badly deformed, we can correct it somewhat by grinding the tip of the beak to put pressure on the short side...much like an orthodontist does with braces. If it is really bad, something more will be required. We don't know yet
[2008.05.30 14:09:46] jwnix: Is it in a location where it can at least hear the adult bald eagles in the center? and once you determine no longer contagious, might they share space....and adults could teach him "life skills for eagles"?
[2008.05.30 14:11:32] Ed Clark: No, the bird is insulated from outside sounds, including eagles. Unlike songbirds who must learn vocalizations, eagles don't really need that. We may move him to a cage with other eagles in the future, but for now, we are working to be sure he even has a future.....
[2008.05.30 14:12:17] Hardcore Heart: do you have any idea how long chick has been infected then ( or has this already been addressed?)
[2008.05.30 14:12:31] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 14:13:02] Ed Clark: We were told the lesion was noticed on day 14, but that means it may have been infected during its first few days of life.
[2008.05.30 14:13:16] jbcaprine: Is he being fed with an "eagle puppet," to insure that he's not being imprinted by humans?
[2008.05.30 14:14:32] Ed Clark: This bird is too old for the "imprinting" process at this stage. We are looking for a feeding puppet, but have simply been feeding him "blind"....that is using long tongs and not allowing him to see humans much at all. ...................
[2008.05.30 14:20:55] Ed Clark: It is a very real possibility that environmental factors may have contributed to the problem, though we have not identified any specific smoking gun. We are awaiting results for heavy metals and pesticides as we speak.
[2008.05.30 14:21:14] hardcore jamie: Since he was the 5th egg for our pair, would this have any possible relation to his being sick or prone to sickness?
[2008.05.30 14:21:59] Ed Clark: No, it is not the "runt" of the clutch. Immunity is usually conveyed to the chicks after they hatch, not before.
[2008.05.30 14:22:12] bev: I f he cannot be released into the wild will you keep him as and educator bird(what a ambassodor he is already}
[2008.05.30 14:24:16] Ed Clark: If he cannot be released, we will evaluate his future at that time. I do not want anyone to think that euthanasia is not among the possible outcomes of this case. We are trying desperately to save this little bird and get his back to the wild. If we can't life in captivity is possible. However, we will not condemn him to 30 years of suffering. He will have to have a good quality of life
[2008.05.30 14:24:28] Message sent to moderator(s)
[2008.05.30 14:24:34] Ed Clark: That is what makes our jobs so hard.....options
[2008.05.30 14:24:41] Ed Clark: and lack of options....
[2008.05.30 14:24:51] dee: Mr Clark, is this little eaglet the most famous you have cared for at the Center today?
[2008.05.30 14:26:24] Ed Clark: I would have to say that of our 50,000 patients treated, none ever came with a fan club before! It doesn't really affect our decisionmaking, but it does add significance to the outcomes. We want to save the bird, and avoid breaking the hearts of all who care so much about him
[2008.05.30 14:26:33] Ed Clark: including all of us!
[2008.05.30 14:26:48] MJ: Is the avian pox linked to West Nile?
[2008.05.30 14:26:54] Ed Clark: No, not at all. ...........
[2008.05.30 14:28:02] Ed Clark: We have treated avian pox, and variations of it, for many years. However, we have never seen anything like this. It almost grows before our eyes....
[2008.05.30 14:28:16] HARDCORE TRACY: is it possible to put cam on baby so we can monitor him?
[2008.05.30 14:29:53] Ed Clark: At this point, we are discussing it, but we have not determined how to do that, or honestly if it really is the best thing for the bird. He is being kept in a very low light environment to keep him sleepy, so a cam is not likely to be very effective. If we get through the surgery and have a prospect of recovery, we might consider it.
[2008.05.30 14:30:09] Ed Clark: keep in mind we'll admit 500 other patients this month as well!
[2008.05.30 14:30:34] HARDCORE TRACY: Do you think the parents new something was wong with him?
[2008.05.30 14:31:26] Ed Clark: This is the last question. I do not think the parents had any reason to be aware of the problem with the baby. He was eating well and growing normally.
[2008.05.30 14:32:02] Ed Clark: Thanks to everyone for joining. We'll talk with WVEC and see if another special chat can be arranged if there is more to tell. Thanks to all of you.
[2008.05.30 14:32:16] wvec-moderator: Thanks to Ed Clark from the Wildlife Center of Virginia for taking the time to answer some questios about the eaglet today.
[2008.05.30 14:32:29] wvec-moderator: Next week, we will hold another live chat session with Stephen Living, wildlife biologist from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
[2008.05.30 14:32:38] wvec-moderator: Steve will recap the eagles’ 2008 season at Norfolk Botanical Garden, and answer your questions about Eagle Cam and other ecological issues.
[2008.05.30 14:32:45] wvec-moderator: Check the Eagle Cam page on WVEC.com later for the date and time of the next chat session.

mrsD 05-31-2008 03:49 PM

video...

Here is a very interesting video clip of the eaglet getting the MRI.

Shows him being handled, and getting the anesthetic, etc.

Zayne 05-31-2008 06:36 PM

That was intersting to watch. I knew they are large birds but I was still surprised at the size of this baby. And the feet!!

mrsD 06-01-2008 04:49 PM

New YouTube...

By Duane.

He is a very talented and persistent photographer at the Norfolk Gardens.

Many of these photos are NOT from the WVEC videos, and are his own
work.

They are moving and well worth the time it takes to view.

There are some pauses in them, so don't turn them off.

I've seen Duane's equipment and it is impressive. He certainly has a
unique talent for wildlife photography!

Please watch!

It is a beautiful tribute to the Gardens, the Eagles living there and the people who
have become attached to them.

Zayne 06-02-2008 01:23 AM

I found 16 pages of beautiful pictures if this is what you were talking about? I loved them all and thought the ones with two sitting side by side were really special and the one hunting with a flight bird along also.

I wish I could see an eagle in the wild. I'm certain I did once but it was so far way it was difficult to tell. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a chicken with some white feathers even at that distance, lol.

mrsD 06-02-2008 07:17 AM

Oh, I am so sorry....

I forgot the link! I do that sometimes now....getting old.

Yes, there are many YouTubes now with the Norfolk eagles!

We've had nesting eagles up North in the summers now for about 5 yrs.
They nest about 3 islands over. One summer a chick fell out of the nest and
the DNR guy climbed back up with it.

We only see the newly fledged young ones flying with their parents to learn
how to catch fish. One year there was a "fight" or altercation right over us
where two eagles engaged their talons and fell...all the while screaming.
We don't know if it were a territory dispute or a "practice" fight.
We often see lone adults with white head fishing in front of our dock. The presence of the eagle seems to upset the gulls and other birds like crows
considerably. There is always one or two following the eagle and making a loud fuss. The Terns are good at this.

BTW... I just checked my sources... and it appears that the little guy is refusing food. He has lost weight too,
and that is a very bad sign.

Zayne 06-02-2008 11:22 AM

Oh those were all just breath taking pics.

It is not sounding good for the ill one. I was so pleased to see a young ones picture though. I don't know what I expected but this one was so plump looking and sorta comical with its fuzzy growth. It makes it nice when those that can get close and take pictures share with the rest of us. Thanks again for your sharing too. :)

mrsD 06-03-2008 03:07 AM

some improvements!

This was posted at the Norfolk Gardens forum:
Quote:

2pm EDT 6/2/08

Hi Sandi,

I suspect you’ll hear this soon enough, but we have seen a slight reduction of the growth on the eagle’s beak. The little bird is now able to breathe out of both nostrils. That is a small victory, but suggests that the drugs are working. We have now also reached all three of the eagle experts we needed to reach about the case. Surgery is definitely in the plan now, and we have two surgeons identified who can perform the procedure. We are in touch with both to see who is willing and at what cost.

We are still dealing with a really sick little bird, but this is the first day when we have not had to report a worsening of his condition. That is no small accomplishment. We believe the Interferon may be starting to work.

We’ll keep you posted.

Ed
I guess a press release will be coming soon.

Doody 06-03-2008 09:48 AM

Thanks for keeping us informed about this ((Mrs. D)). I haven't had a lot of time to keep up. I sure hope this little guy comes through this. It's encouraging the growth is getting smaller and that there are surgeons who can operate.

Zayne 06-03-2008 11:59 PM

I've got a lot to learn about getting news. When I googled, I got this thread, lol. But it is sounding hopeful for the little one.

mrsD 06-05-2008 08:37 AM

for those would are interested:

I just got permission to link to the Norfolk Botanical Gardens forum and to a new
fund-raising idea to help pay for the eaglet's medical care (which is turning out to be VERY expensive, including a delicate future surgery). Thanks to DocJohn and Chemar for the go-ahead!

This is the fund-raising site, the photos donated by one of the gifted photographers who visit NBG daily. These photos are not part of the WVEC commerical cam.

The forum is small but it does have a wonderful thread of photos too, as well
as two threads on the Gardens/eagles and a separate one for the chick.

This forum is where I pick up many of my news updates.
Soon, I will be leaving the internet for my summer vacation (where we do not have electricity, etc). So I will be unable to keep the news up to date.
I am not sure yet exactly when we will be leaving, but it will be within a month. It might be right when the eaglet gets his surgery.

So readers here who are interested can keep up with the progress by reading that forum.

mrsD 06-06-2008 12:43 PM

progress:

Here is a progress report on "Poink"... this is a nickname someone at the garden forum gave him... piggy + oink-- based on his eating habits in the nest (he'd eat until he fell over). Some others call him Buddy.

And pictures here:

page 14.

He now has real feathers, but his beak is deformed. But the mass is shrinking,
going away out of his nostril/sinuses, and roof of the mouth. He is eating better too, and toxin screens have been normal. His pain meds were increased and that helps him eat. (it is the same pain medication given to one of our cats after a surgery and is a narcotic)

So his prognosis is much better.

Zayne 06-08-2008 01:23 AM

I was away for awhile and will be going back soon also. Same senario, no tv but do have electricity. All of our islands are underwater this year and will likley stay that way all summer.

Miss having a computer really bad!

I was glad to see more pictures of him. It really gives you a sense of how big he is in the one where the two men are holding him, well one but he is BIG bird for a baby.

I'm partial to Buddy myself, is a special nick-name. But if he keeps gaining weight and eating that much, Poink is best! Only can hope he gets to be really big and healthy!

Thanks for the links mrsD. Enjoy your vacation!

mrsD 06-10-2008 08:52 AM

Baby eaglet get well cards--take a look!

In the wake of a scathing response in one newspaper --

(some viewer comments are very negative)

This first grade class at Hillside Elementary is very welcome!

Zayne 06-11-2008 01:04 AM

Bless that school teacher. All the cards were so cute.

Today's update sounded hopeful still. I got excited when they said they stopped the antibiotics. But further reading showed they had to start back up again.

The mass is still shrinking. :) No date for surgery named yet.

mrsD 06-15-2008 08:45 AM

here is an update with pictures...

(with some bathroom humor included) :p

Doody 06-15-2008 12:05 PM

Oh bless his little heart.

A poop shoot huh? Smart little thing!

Zayne 06-15-2008 10:40 PM

Feathering out nicley. No baby fuzz now - longer feathers so he'd best be careful while at the cage door aiming :D

Zayne 06-20-2008 11:09 PM

Last time I checked there was no date set for surgery yet. The mass is getting smaller and the baby bird bigger, weighing in at 7.5 pounds!:D