NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   April already!!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/234446-april.html)

bizi 04-04-2016 09:21 AM

April already!!!!

Well I forgot to start a new thread so here goes.
Thank you my friends for your on-going support.
Jeff and I started planning our trip over seas.
To celebrate our 20 wedding anniversary we are going to go to italy and paris.
I am contacting a travel agent recommended by a friend of mine.
We will be flying to Indy this year/trip, renting a car to use for a couple of days then back to the airport to drop off the car and leave for our big trip, probably about 11 days or so. Then fly back to Indy rent a car for a couple of days then fly back to Lafayette. We save 4 days of driving this way and I just did not want to have to drive home 2 days after the trip. And I did not want to inconvenience anyone to have to take us to the airport 45 minutes from his moms house. That puts us gone about 20 days.

I just got off the phone with a travel agent and he is going to figure out some travel options and email itineraries.

Very exciting!
bizi

bizi 04-05-2016 06:52 AM

Travel plans changed when we really looked at it.
We are not combining it with an Indy visit this year.
Since we will be gone about 2 weeks just for the europe trip, jeff decided to visit his mom later in the summer: july or august.
I will not be making the trip this summer., can't really afford to take off another week's work.
I will just see my family at christmas time.
We are using my sisters, S-I-L who is a travel agent so am happy about that!
I spoke to her yesterday and emailed her our basic itinerary last night.
She will work on flights today. She is traveling in a couple of weeks and will be gone 2 1/2 weeks so she has time right now to arrange things for us.
She will even help us reserve rooms.
Very excited about doing this.
This may be our last trip over seas due to heighten security issues getting worse with time.
bizi

bizi 04-05-2016 06:59 AM

I got up early because I could not sleep.
Am already starting to get geared up, thinking about our trip.
I will really need to be careful.....
getting ready to have a second cup of coffee.
bizi

OhKay 04-05-2016 07:27 AM

I am so happy for you Bizi! This is so exciting!

You have been down for a little while and planning this trip could be just what you need right now. And when you take this trip, you will literally be widening your world.

I can see how planing the little details and looking forward to it over time could be activating too, though. But you are aware of the potential and I know that you have a very good friend (I'm sorry I forgot her name) who is in tune to your mood changes. Between the both of you I'm sure that you can keep an eye on things.

bizi 04-05-2016 08:30 AM

Italy-3 nights in rome, including a side day trip to pompeii (maybe)
2 nights in florence
2 nights in venice
fly to paris for 4 nights.
wow!
bizi

Mari 04-05-2016 11:35 AM

This is the plan so far from the travel agent?

It looks fun.

M

bizi 04-05-2016 05:27 PM

This is what I gave to her, diane is working on getting flights for us.
She is to call me tonight.
bizi

kiwi33 04-05-2016 07:15 PM

Bizi, that sounds like a great trip - I hope that you and Jeff enjoy yourselves :).

bizi 04-06-2016 09:48 AM

We are working with a travel guide to arrange our trip to europe this june.
I was on the phone with her last night and we finalized our itinerary, flights.
We are going to fly to Rome spend 3 nights including a day trip to pompaii , train to florence for 2 nights then train to venice for 2 nights then plane to paris for 4 nights including a day trip to versailles.
Hubby and I have saved 10 years for this trip celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this year.
I am a bit concerned about my drinking. Our drink of choice is craft beers, me a stout/porter and jeff an IPA.
Wondering if therre will be any good beers there?
Wine is not my favorite but will do I suppose.
I am a fast/binge drinker and can easily get trashed on wine if am not careful.
Should I start drinking wine here to get used to the taste of it?
bizi

mymorgy 04-06-2016 11:53 AM

i don't think you should drink. what if you get out of control and miss the trip. what a waste it would be
bobby

Mari 04-06-2016 06:26 PM

Paris has every thing we have

https://foursquare.com/top-places/pa...st-places-beer

http://thesavvybackpacker.com/guide-...beer-in-paris/

bizi 04-06-2016 07:08 PM

Thank you mari,
you are right bobby.
This last time with the uncontrolled drinking was because I was hypomanic and we had to increase my geodon. I am back to being in control again.

I will stick to my current drinking goals,
they have worked for me for the past 3 weeks.
Only drinking on the weekends and no drinking and driving.
So....no stopping by whole foods for a beer after work.
I pulled my upper back out in between my shoulder blades. I walked on the tred mill yesterday and maybe pulled it some how, woke up with it hurting.
Jeff is resting right now, he has a bad head ache, poor guy, nauseated too. My last client fed me shrimps and a potato. He owns a restaurant and usually I get it to go but ate at the bar today. It was good, salty but good.
bizi

Diandra 04-06-2016 08:22 PM

Have a blast!

Hi Bizi,
The trip sounds fantastic. It is so much fun to plan and look forward to such a great vacation. Have you been to Italy, Paris before?

My hubby and I went to Europe(Italy) in 2014. It was our first, ever trip abroad and we had the best time. To answer your question, we did not see a lot of beer in Italy, at least not in the smaller villages but I am sure in Rome you will find beer. There was a lot of wine in the smaller villages. We went to Cinque Terre for 6 days and Lake Como(Varenna) for 6 days. I HIGHLY recommend travel books and videos by Rick Steves.
We bought his newest Italy book. We followed his advice across the board and it was all excellent advice. Where to stay, what to see, where to travel, exchanging money, cell phones, tipping, etc. You have a wonderful resource in your sister in law so I am sure she will be very helpful.

The biggest tips I can give you is to leave on a flight in the evening so you can sleep on the flight over( I took an Ambien). I am not a good flyer...rather a big chicken, actually. so it worked great. For comfort reasons, we could not afford first class tickets but we did buy the seats with just a bit more space(American airlines) and that was worth the extra fee. Also, we were warned that pick pocketing can be an issue, especially on the trains and in big crowds. We had vests with insides zippered pockets and my hubby had a belt with a little silk pocket that zippered and you wear it under your clothes. We only did this on trains and airports, not every day. I did wear cargo shorts with zippered pockets so I did not have to carry a purse every day. We were also advised to make copies of important documents like passports and license and hide in a safe place. Call your credit card companies before you go to tell them when and where you are traveling so there are no problems. Also, write the customer service numbers for your credit cards in case of theft. These are just precautions...don't worry about anything.....just be like a Boy Scout...prepared :)

I am very excited for you both. What a lovely way to celebrate your 20th anniversary.
My best,
D.

bizi 04-06-2016 11:00 PM

OMG.....
How are we ever going to be able to do this trip.
IT is overwhelming.
our travel agent diane said we should not spend 2 nights in venice. she said it was really expensive for everything, we should just spend extra time in florence and take a day trip to venice. So that got us thinking and changing our minds about the trip. We could spend more time in paris 5 nights
And more time in rome 4 nights, florence 2 nights with a day trip to venice.
looking at the tour books is so overwhelming to me.
How the hell are we smart enough to do this?
I want to take a tour for the entire trip.
jeff said no.
I told diane that I would call her sunday night, we need more time to think about all of this.
We should have been planning all of this long ago.
sigh
bizi

Mari 04-07-2016 04:43 AM

Bizi,

Listen to your agent.
You will be o.k.

M

OhKay 04-07-2016 09:38 AM

Mari is right. You will be fine. Diane has been doing this for a long time. Use her as a resource… Do you really have to let her know by this Sunday, or can you wait a few extra days so that you don't feel like you're under so much pressure to make a decision?

Ask her how much one or two nights in Venice will actually cost you. You have been planning this trip for years, and Venice was part of it. It may be worth the expense to you.

Where you decide to spend the extra time should depend on where you would rather be and/or what there is there to do there. There's a lot to do in Paris…

This may be overwhelming right now, but your itinerary will be solidified soon and you will have tons of time to plan out the smaller stuff, and I really think you will have fun doing that. You'll have a lot of time to research the travel tips too, so you and Jeff will be safe traveling abroad :)

bizi 04-07-2016 06:48 PM

I enlisted the help of my dad today. He came up with a couple of good ideas and thru his credit union another travel agent who can help us.
I was grateful to have him to verbalize my self doubts.
bizi

Diandra 04-07-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1207248)
OMG.....
How are we ever going to be able to do this trip.
IT is overwhelming.
our travel agent diane said we should not spend 2 nights in venice. she said it was really expensive for everything, we should just spend extra time in florence and take a day trip to venice. So that got us thinking and changing our minds about the trip. We could spend more time in paris 5 nights
And more time in rome 4 nights, florence 2 nights with a day trip to venice.
looking at the tour books is so overwhelming to me.
How the hell are we smart enough to do this?
I want to take a tour for the entire trip.
jeff said no.
I told diane that I would call her sunday night, we need more time to think about all of this.
We should have been planning all of this long ago.
sigh
bizi

Hi Bizi,
It IS overwhelming...having so many options to consider.
Just go with your gut feelings. If you have always dreamed of exploring
Venice, and it is a once in a lifetime experience, then spend the time you want.
Life is short and an extra day in Venice is not going to break the bank.
You can listen to all the travel agents but let the final decision be what you and Jeff are most comfortable with, what feels right.

I found tripadvisor a great resource. You can post questions to fellow travelers,
like, is it worth it to spend two days in Venice? Or just search the tripadvisor forums.

In the end Bizi, you will have a great time no matter what your itinerary.
My best,
D.

bizi 04-07-2016 11:21 PM

thank you D.
((((HUGS))))
bizi

OhKay 04-09-2016 07:31 AM

I'm so glad your father is helping you and you have another travel agent to consult with. I hope this means you are going to give yourself some more time to think about what you want to do to take some pressure off yourself…

:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 04-09-2016 01:14 PM

Bizi,

Are you putting pressure on yourself to make sure you get to see everything?

M

bizi 04-09-2016 05:04 PM

thanks you guys.
I just bought 4 books called the top 10 rome, paris, venice and florence. Dad recommended them. they look great!
Jeff read a bunch of stuff today about how many thieves there were at the train stations etc. lots of bad reviews....
sigh
There are many people mugged in the states, do we decide to not travel because of horror stories? The idea of taking a tour guided trip sounds even better.
bizi

Mari 04-09-2016 10:18 PM

Bizi,

The difference between travel in the US and in Europe is that
when most of us travel in the US, we blend in.
Some Americans, when they go to Europe, can standout immediately as Americans with cash in their pockets.

If you want to make things easy for yourself, cut the trip by a few days so
that you can afford a tour. Or join the tour on a tricky part of the trip so that
the company can do all of the work for you.

M

bizi 04-10-2016 07:19 AM

We discovered www.airbnb.com for a small bed and breakfasts thru out each place that we are staying. Cheaper rates and locals who can help guide us.
Looked at the train station earliest train to venice from florence is 830am, have decided to spend 2 nights there like we originally planned.
Getting excited for this trip.
I will look like an american with my fanny pack, and bright neon purple running shoes!
lol
bizi

OhKay 04-10-2016 07:34 AM

I'm so glad you found that site and things are starting to come together! I'm also very happy to hear that you're not giving up on your plans to stay in Venice! It's great to hear your anxiety has lessened and you are just excited about the trip again because it is really exciting and a wonderful thing :):):)

Even though lots of Americans get mugged because they stand out, there are plenty of tips out there on how to safeguard your valuables when you travel. I'm sure you and Jeff will be experts at protecting your cash, cc's and passports by the time your trip comes around.

bizi 04-12-2016 11:33 PM

Hi there!
We just booked our room at the hotel caron in the area of marmais, paris 4e.
It was very expensive but this is where hubby wanted to stay and this may be our last trip overseas.:)

I just wrote to waves to tell her of our trip....I hope to hear from her....being in europe she may have some ideas for us????
I would love to hear from her. I really miss her on the forums.

bizi

Mari 04-12-2016 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1207800)
Hi there!
We just booked our room at the hotel caron in the area of marmais, paris 4e.
It was very expensive but this is where hubby wanted to stay and this may be our last trip overseas.:)

I just wrote to waves to tell her of our trip....I hope to hear from her....being in europe she may have some ideas for us????
I would love to hear from her. I really miss her on the forums.

bizi

It is beautiful!

http://www.hotelcaron.com/uk/index.php

http://www.hotelcaron.com/uk/index.p...-du-marais.php

M

OhKay 04-13-2016 07:41 AM

It is fabulous! I know that you will be in Paris for a couple of days, and I'm so glad that you are spending the money to treat yourselves. This is a once and a lifetime trip and your 20th wedding anniversary such a special milestone!

bizi 04-13-2016 08:19 AM

Today
Showers and thunderstorms before 1pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 1pm and 4pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 72. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

It started storming at 5am, loud thunder!
bizi
my magnolia tree needs the rain!

bizi 04-13-2016 08:22 AM

I have been holding down no drinking monday thru thursday and then drink too much on the weekends.
Have not drank and driven at all!
so that is good.

planning our trip has been exciting, kind of scared about it though....lots of horror stories.
I need to make sure my bipolar doesn't get out of whack so I can stay sane.

doing pretty good right now.

bizi
151 this am down 5 pounds in a few weeks.

Mari 04-14-2016 08:36 AM

Have a good day, today, Bizi!

Mari 04-15-2016 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1207840)
I have been holding down no drinking monday thru thursday and then drink too much on the weekends.
Have not drank and driven at all!
so that is good.

planning our trip has been exciting, kind of scared about it though....lots of horror stories.
I need to make sure my bipolar doesn't get out of whack so I can stay sane.

doing pretty good right now.

bizi
151 this am down 5 pounds in a few weeks.

Good work on the weight loss, Bizi.

The trip will workout. You are accomplishing good things.

M

OhKay 04-15-2016 09:02 AM

You're sticking to your plan of only drinking on the weekends, and no D/D… that's awesome!

Congrats on the weight loss! :)
Do you think stopping the midweek drinking helped at all?

I think I would worry about the trip at times too, and get butterflies in my stomach from excitement! I'm glad you're being vigilant about your BP sx.

You're doing great Bizi! :):):)

bizi 04-15-2016 09:18 PM

thanks kay!
bizi

bizi 04-17-2016 08:11 AM

drank 3.5 beers friday night and 2 beers saturday/last night.
not bad for moderation!
still no drinking and driving.
plan being met! going on 4 weeks since first day of spring 3-20-16.
bizi
Had sustainably farm raised off of florida coast lemon pepper talapia, fresh steamed brussel sprouts and a bean and rice dish for dinner with my friend.
She kind of judges me about my drinking.
I speak of my moderation plans working.
In the past, She has called me an alcoholic to her daughter who told me that. That kind of hurt. I told her daughter that I was not an alcoholic but had issues.
sigh
anyway....
This makes me watch especially what I drink when I am around her. I guess that is not a bad thing.
bizi

OhKay 04-17-2016 08:31 AM

While I'm sure your friend is only concerned about you, it's a shame she said that to her daughter and I'm sure that was very hurtful to hear :hug::hug::hug:
I can understand why you would watch your drinking in front of her.

I think this is a good plan for you since your objective is to control your drinking better, not abstain :)

bizi 04-17-2016 09:13 PM

2.5 beers tonight.
how I figure in the half a beer is this way:
the 2 beers are in 14oz glasses so more than a normal 12 oz. plus they are a bit more alcohol content. So I call it 2.5 beers.

just in case you thought that I was leaving half a beer!:eek:

WE have been planning our trip this weekend.
So far we have scheduled:

Thursday 10am arrive in Rome, limo to bed and breakfast, lunch then
2pm a 3-hour guided walking tour of the Roman forum and colliseum with underground tour and palatine hill.

Friday
The Vatican:
1;30pm 2-hour walking tour thru st. peters basilica(worlds largest church) tour to the top of the dome.

friday 7:30pm the vatican museums night tour with sistine chapel

saturday Rick Steves walking tour to the spanish steps and trevi fountain.

sunday train to florence. so we have rome settled. train arrives to florence roughly 1pm lunch check into the B&B then Pitti palace and gardens and accademia (michealangilos 17 foot david).

monday Santa Croce(think west minster abby), Duomo cathedral climbing the dome and seeing the baptistry then walking to the piazzale michaelangilos area to look over the whole city, it is supposed to be breath taking.

tuesday Train to venice Try to find our B&B in the cannargio area. boat ride down the Grand Canal 2.5 miles long. We were told to plan on getting lost in venice!

wednesday St. Marks cathedral and square, Doges/ducale palace ( a 75 minute tour of the palace including the secret itineraries: entrance to restricted areas and torture chambers. page 379. gondola ride at sunset.

thursday early train to airport flight to paris, stay in hotel carmon in the marmae area 4e. 4 nights including a day at the art museum the louve to see the mona lisa, eiffel tower, arc de triompe, a day trip to the chateau of versailles, notre dame to see the roof top gargoles, Les catacombs/cemetary tour.
Monday early train to airport to catch a 2 pm flight back home.
whew!
bizi

bizi

OhKay 04-18-2016 06:16 AM

That sounds wonderful! And you were worried you didn't have enough time to plan?! :)

bizi 04-18-2016 08:25 AM

I added some stuff for the rest of italy and then paris. :)
bizi

Dmom3005 04-18-2016 02:37 PM

Sounds great.

Donna :hug::grouphug: