NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   More on d chiro inositol (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/55865-chiro-inositol.html)

Monica de Lara 10-08-2008 11:20 AM

More on d chiro inositol

I promised i would give a follow up on d chiro inositol. I have been suffering from acne ¡, painful menses and irregular periods eversince i was twelve. I also have cyst in my ovaries and breasts. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS when i was 21, but decided not to try contraceptive medication due to its side effects. About a month ago i decided to star taking the d chiro inositol supplements that promised to be helpful for people suffering from PCOS. I have to say that, unfortunately ( i say unfortunately because i never get benefits from placebo) i am a very skeptical person. The suprise here is that IT HAS WORKED. I can tell you that for the first time in my life i dind't have a painful menstruation and my acne is clearing up (is that correct) little by little. I can tell you that it has decreased by 80% or more. I still have some, but VERY little and i hope it clears up completely soon. My pore size is very reduced and my skin in general feels softer and looks better, and its only been about a month. I cannot talk about menstruation being regulated yet because it’s only been one period so far. It came on the 30th day which is good, but i will tell you its effect on my period frequency. I am very satisfied with the results i have gotten from it, specially its efects on acne, since i have been suffering from this all my life. I know i am under risk of sounding superficial, but i do care about my appearence and this improvement has alleviated one of my concernes. It was very expensive but defenetily worth it. I hope it also has an effect on health issues. I remeber a post, don’t know if it was here or in the pn forum, but it was by mrsd. She mentioned how insuline resistance prevented tissue from healing. Perhaps now that i am taking d chiro inositol my nerves will also have more chance to heal and to be normal nerves, as they used to be before… Thank you everyone. I hope this information is useful to someone.

mrsD 10-08-2008 11:29 AM

thanks for the update....

That is wonderful to see improvements!

Is this the only new thing you are using now?
What else are you taking?

What dose is working for you? Are you using the
DCI product?
http://www.chiralbalance.com/?OVRAW=...D=106336766021

I found another:
http://d-chiro-inositol.com/
If you only take 1 cap/day, this form is less expensive.

suzi 10-08-2008 12:20 PM

Thanks for the links

I checked out both products and they look the same?

So I'm confused why you said the 2nd link
is cheaper if you only take 1 a day?

mrsD 10-08-2008 01:49 PM

the second link is $99.00 for 60 600mg
first link is 149.00 for 60 .

So if you take one a day, the second link is 50.00/month,
instead of $75.00 a month.

With time this should come down in price some.

I am concerned however, since I looked for powder sources after I made that post, from bulk suppliers. What I found was that some d-chiro inositol is made from buckwheat in CHINA.

And given what China has been up to lately, I am worried about THAT.

suzi 10-08-2008 01:59 PM

How About??

So are you saying the 2nd Link is cheaper either way?

I guess I'm just confused as you said it's only cheaper if you take 1 a day versus 2. I take 2 a day and I was buying from the 1st link. But I'm looking for a cheaper source and think I will buy from the 2nd link next time. I just wanted to make sure it was cheaper. It sounded like you meant it was only cheaper for people taking 1 a day?

I hope I'm not confusing you:)

watsonsh 10-08-2008 02:14 PM

HI,

I am glad this is working so well for you.

Can someone give me some insight as to what or why someone should add this to your supplement reigmen. I am borderline insulin resistant but no PCOS but my periods are painful.

Also given whats going on in China I agree that buying supplement from there is probably not a good choice

Monica de Lara 10-08-2008 02:48 PM

Ok. I am worried now. What is going on in China? Where did you find out this buckwheat is produced in CHINA. What if e mail the people from the web page and ask them who is their supplier?. I emailed them once to ask them about its side effects, they answered within some days. This supplement is so great to let it go.... Should i be concerned about the china thing??

Curious 10-08-2008 02:52 PM

monica, where did you buy yours from?

i'm very interested. i'm getting hit with adult acne. :o

mrsD 10-08-2008 02:54 PM

yes, I would ask where it comes from.

and for Shelley...

d-chiro inositol has been touted on the net for YEARS, as a potential cure for Type II diabetes.

I have been posting about it for so long I have forgotten some of the initial links. I found it on PubMed years ago.

I have PCOS, and insulin resistance, and have always thought I would try it, someday.

I do inositol hexanicotinate, just as an insurance. But within the last year or so, the DCI, has been made into a supplement. It still appears to be very expensive. And that is rather a surprise to me...since the compound is relatively not expensive. So the money grubbers are on it now.

Monica de Lara 10-08-2008 02:55 PM

I got it from the chiral balance web page:

http://www.chiralbalance.com/

I don't live in the us so a friend of mine ordered it from me and took it to me.

mrsD 10-08-2008 02:58 PM

China...

The extraction of the d-chiro inositol is from buckwheat hulls.
The links I found in the past were from Korea.

Today I found more than one indicating China as a source.

Right now China has tainted milk powder which has sickened tens of thousands of babies in china with kidney problems and death. China has tainted wheat gluten to US for pets.
Has tainted drugs to treat leukemia in children in US and Europe and has tainted heparin that was exported around the world. So I am concerned about anything coming from China that is health oriented.

So yes, call or email your supplier and see if their d-chiro inositol comes from China!

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this problem supercedes what we would like to use here.

suzi 10-08-2008 04:14 PM

Ok here we go

I emailed
They said there's is extracted from Carob
Also, does NOT come from China

Great news since this supplier is the cheapest I've found!:):)

Monica de Lara 10-08-2008 04:51 PM

Suzy, the one you emailed, is it chiral balance?

suzi 10-08-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzi (Post 384736)
I emailed
They said there's is extracted from Carob
Also, does NOT come from China

Great news since this supplier is the cheapest I've found!:):)

No, it was not. It was d-chiro-inositol . com
I don't know what happened to my post I put it in there but it did not show up?

Curious 10-08-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzi (Post 384765)

suzi, you are a new member. as our guidelines state, your first posts have to be approved. after you posted you got a pop up stating that.

this keeps spammers away.

suzi 10-08-2008 05:13 PM

Oh, Ok Thank you. Now I know!:)

Chemar 10-08-2008 08:58 PM

we also have a rule about no links (as urls or spelled out) by new members...again anti-spam....so that is why it did not appear in your post

suzi 10-12-2008 08:38 PM

Ok, I got my DCI

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzi (Post 384765)

Well I went ahead and ordered from this company
Got my DCI today! The price also went down so I called and they gave me credit. Has anyone else seen results?:confused:

Monica de Lara 10-14-2008 10:47 AM

I emailed them too and they answered. They said is not extracted from buckwheat,it is extracted from pinitol, and pinitol is obtained from soy.

Good!! I love my d chiro inositol :)

mrsD 10-14-2008 11:49 AM

let me know

If you start to lose weight on it!

Monica de Lara 10-17-2008 09:24 AM

Sure Mrs. D. Evaluating weight could be a bit hard this time. My average weight is 54 kilos, which is about 108 pounds. I am tall so that means i am very thin. When i was on prednisone my weight went up to 68 kg which is 136 ponds, almost 30 pounds more, I certainly looked chubby. When i was off prednisone i started loosing weigh and i reached 55 kilos-110 pounds. I started loosing more weight because i had some major worries in my life due to personal issues. I am 52 kilos now. That is 4 pounds less than my average weight, but i dont know if it is because of d chiro inositol or what. I generally eat healthy nutrituous food most times, though i am chocolate lover and i eat sometimes, i also eat tacos and lots of mexican food that is greasy, so i cannot say that my diet is exactly strict. But i am thin....

I am currently on lyrica so perhaps that could neutralize the loosing weight effect of d chiro inositol.... Just a thought.

So i will definetely kep you informed if i notice any important weight changes.

mrsD 12-18-2008 08:04 AM

Well...

Today is the day for me...to order DCI and hope it will
prevent diabetes.

I had a jolting fasting blood sugar at the doctor's yesterday, but my A1C is 6 so we are wondering if this is an error on the lab's part.

I am getting retested in 3months. My lipids are coming down nicely with red yeast rice. So I am starting the d-chiro inositol that I have had my eye on for the last 4 years.

We'll see.

Monica de Lara 12-22-2008 10:43 AM

Good luck on it Mrs D!, tell us about the results.

mrsD 12-22-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monica de Lara (Post 431989)
Good luck on it Mrs D!, tell us about the results.

yes, you can be sure of that! ;) I have been a guinea pig more than once on these boards!

I ordered it last week...hope to have it this week.

I figured out a culprit for the higher sugar... I think it was the non-flush niacin I was using for cholesterol. Niacin raises blood sugars! duh! And I knew that too, deep in my brain!

I've switched to plain inositol now, until the Chiro comes.
I might use both.

I have also started curcumin, for my leg pain and arthritis. So far it seems to be working! I am getting a newer more potent and better absorbed type today in fact.

mrsD 12-24-2008 03:32 PM

still waiting for my chiro inositol...

Hasn't arrived yet.

But the Curcu-Gel Ultra came already!
Epic4Health was really FAST.
this is the bioenhanced formula of curcumin.

This product claims an ORAC score of 13,000!
This is what ORACs are:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-orac-score.htm

watsonsh 01-05-2009 10:48 PM

OK thinking about starting the D chiro..any suggestions on the brand?

Also I see you talking about the Curcugel. I think that has fishoil in it. Since I take Lovaza I would rather not add any more fishoil in. Any suggestions on a different brand of curcumin?

THanks
Shelley

mrsD 01-06-2009 07:25 AM

I'd go with Chiral Balance for now.

The Discover Nutrition took ages to come. 3 weeks.

When it did come, the capsules are rather poorly filled.
This makes me uneasy. Also I tried to find out where they are located, and it appears to be a closely guarded secret.
Finally using Whois domain search I found an address for the website in a strip mall in Las Vegas!

Chiral Balance seems more forthright and above board.

Chiral Balance just lowered their prices too and are more competitive with the Discover brand.

Chiral Balance uses buckwheat as a source and is somehow affiliated with the New Zealand company who extracts it in bulk.

If you go to Chiral Balance website and click on testimonials, there are links there to a PCOS forum with interesting comments.

The DCI Discover Nutrition is made from carob. I found this site and I suspect they are the supplier of the bulk DCI that Discover distributes:
http://www.cyvex.com/detail_sig.asp?...ame=Chirositol
Discover Nutrition gives an Irvine Ca location on its label.
And so does Cyvex. Discover does not give a street address and that bothers me. I don't like places that keep secrets!

Some of this may be dancing around the FDA. And of course they cannot make claims. At one time there was talk of making a "drug" nutraceutical, but I don't know if that is panning out. Because studies are showing equivalence to metformin, the thought is that DCI will not be developed.
IMO metformin is a brutal drug, and DCI is very easy to tolerate and I'd spring for it any day after my experience with metformin!

The PCOS community is really where most of the information can be found. Compared to fertility drugs, DCI is very benign and they don't mind the cost compared to the tens of thousands the doctors charge at those fertility clinics!

The last time I searched for DCI it was not available in capsules. So times are changing regarding it.

Given the new push by the FDA for Big Pharma to develop nutraceuticals...we may see DCI removed from shelves like they are trying to do with P-5-P (activated pyridoxine) now. The FDA did in the past remove Cholestin (at the behest of Merck) and tryptophan (when Prozac came out). We will have to see how the future goes.

mrsD 01-06-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 439668)
OK thinking about starting the D chiro..any suggestions on the brand?

Also I see you talking about the Curcugel. I think that has fishoil in it. Since I take Lovaza I would rather not add any more fishoil in. Any suggestions on a different brand of curcumin?

THanks
Shelley

No, there is no fish oil in the Curcu-gel. I just stated that I was taking it with my fish oil to improve absorption.
Maybe I confused you?

this is the vehicle to enhance absorption:
Quote:

Other Ingredients:
Medium chain triglycerides, gelatin, glycerin, high PC lecithin, hydroxylated lecithin, purified water and yellow beeswax. Contains soy.

Free of milk and milk by-products, egg and egg by-products, fish and fish by-products, shell fish, tree nuts, wheat and wheat by-products, peanuts and peanut by-product, artificial colors and preservatives.
Lecithin is a good source for choline, BTW.

mrsD 01-08-2009 09:21 AM

Just a note...

The Chiral Balance was delivered yesterday.

It was a swift response compared to the other brand from Discover Nutrition.

It also had a REAL return address on it. Discover did not.
It had a return address to a UPS hub. (I don't like secrets).
Both companies shipped via UPS ground BTW.

I have started the Discover product at 300mg twice a day. I will be increasing later this week to 600mg twice a day. I decided to start slowly in case of any side effects. Also figuring my body is
pretty depleted... starting slowly would give some time to wake up the systems that use this supplement.

suzi 12-28-2009 12:11 AM

I am wondering if you have any updates on how this ? I have been on it for a while and I am very happy with it.

mrsD 12-28-2009 08:01 AM

I am happy with it too. I am still using 2 a day. The androgenic facial hair is 90%gone, and what is left is thin and slow to grow. That is a big plus. I've also noticed a large reduction in skin/hair oiliness.

It also helps with my blood sugars. My A1C is very stable and remaining low.

Chiral Balance has reduced the price further too. I really appreciate that.

I wish this had been available when I was younger ..I could have had more children! sigh.

suzi 04-16-2010 10:00 AM

I agree, it is like it has given me a health makeover, my hair looks healthier, my skin looks healthier, I dont crave sweet things anymore and my belly just keeps shrinking, it is interesting stuff. I get mine from the http://d-chiro-inositol.com place you mentioned and take 2 a day.

mrsD 04-16-2010 10:23 AM

I am still on it too. I love it. It is stalling type II diabetes for me.

Chiral Balance just reduced their prices...I am using them now and for quite a while. They often give a 15% coupon for next purchase too.

The improvement in my facial hair from the androgen issue is totally wonderful. And you are right...skin is softer, nicer too.

Thanks for the update!

I wish I could rave about the "belly" like you are having, but alas, not for me! Maybe age has something to do with it?
I am taking 1200mg a day.

AmandaJones 10-18-2010 06:18 PM

How do we private message on this board so I can request the D Chiro coupon

Chemar 10-18-2010 06:38 PM

Hi Amanda

new members are not able to use our private messaging feature until they have made a few posts.

This thread originated in 2008 so I am not sure the coupon is still available, but perhaps one of our members here can provide info for you on it

mrsD 10-19-2010 02:04 AM

Yes, this is an old thread. Since then, Chiral Balance has come down considerably in price. But it is still relatively expensive. It is a bit more than SAMe IMO.

If you continue to purchase it from them, they may send you a coupon good for your next purchase. They do not run general coupons for everyone, that I know of, like iherb does.

Occasionally they have a free shipping offer too. If you join them, and get a password, etc, then that is when they send you the coupon code.

edit to add-- I just went to their website and there IS a coupon code for new customers. Here is that explanation:
http://www.chiralbalance.com/knowled...albalance-com/

mcwick94 12-13-2010 07:02 PM

mrs d
i see you've been taking the d chiro for some time now and was wondering how its helped you..I just started 5 days ago and am only taking one a day at 300 mg. My symptoms are irregular and heavy menses, acne (mostly on lower half of my face), facial hair and a few cysts on ovaries. I'm also taking Aldactone(Spironoalactone) it is supposed to help with the increased androgenic hormones. I am 43 and premenopausal and was wondering what your thoughts were on this products and how soon you saw results..Is 300mg too small a dose to start with? thanks

mrsD 12-13-2010 07:23 PM

d-chiro inositol is very good for facial hair. That was my biggest result. I didn't see much in the way for insulin resistance as they claim however for me. I am getting new blood work, this week, to see if my A1C has come down any. If it hasn't I most likely will quit this, as it is very expensive each month.

It also reduces oiliness of the skin, and that helps with acne too.

You'll just have to try it, and see. I didn't have any side effects of any type with it.

If it can help with the androgens for you, it would be a good idea to stop the Aldactone. That drug may cause cancer with long term use, and has a black box warning to that effect. So if the d-chiro can work for you that way, you may be able to discontinue the Aldactone.

happyisme09 01-13-2011 07:14 PM

Just received the order I placed for my daughter. She took it for awhile - and was feeling pretty good so she stopped.

We were given a $6 discount for purchasing two and free shipping. The amount came to $112.

She decided it was time to start back up when she noticed her face was getting fuzzier.

zeeclass6 02-01-2012 08:44 PM

Dear Mrs. D or anyone -

If you have been taking D-Chiro Inositol for PCOS, I would like to hear more information about how it has or hasn't helped you.

My 15-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with PCOS. She has high testosterone, facial hair, acne, and as of today hasn't gotten her period in almost 3 months and is miserable with a lot of PMS. Her cholesterol and glucose looks great, although her A1C is borderline normal (5.5, and problems begin with 6.0). Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's run on my side of the family. My husband has hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. So obviously we are on the lookout for those types of things in our daughter. We've had her thyroid tested and so far she is negative for antibodies and her TSH and Free T3 are ok (although frankly I think her Free T3 could be higher).

I came across info in D-Chiro Inositol on the Web and thought it might be something my daughter could try. The GYN wants to put her on oral contraceptives. I think that would just be a band-aid and I want to get to the root of her problems instead. My daughter also suffers from an anxiety disorder that causes "De-Realization." So I would not want to give her anything that made her anxiety worse.

In doing research on the Web, I see that a lot of D-Chiro Inositol comes from legumes and soy. Well, my daughter is ALLERGIC to those things. She is also allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (as in: possible analphalytic reaction...she carries an Epi-Pen and wears a Medic Alert bracelet). So, if she is not eating ANY legumes and is avoiding soy, it would make sense that perhaps she is low in D-Chiro Inositol. She never eats buckwheat. I think maybe I've made it once (as kasha) and maybe she's had buckwheat noodles once or twice in her life. I don't think she is allergic to buckwheat.

I want to add that my daughter is NOT allergic to soy lecithin. The lecithin does not contain the protein that invokes the allergy. She eats various baked goods and things that contain soy lecithin all the time.

Anyway, I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this supplement. Success? Failure? Caveats?

Thank you!!!!