NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   What's on your plate? (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/30952-whats-plate.html)

Alffe 10-27-2007 06:07 AM

What's on your plate?

It's rainning on my parade this morning...I'd hoped to get a little yard work done...lots of leaves down and patio furniture to put away. There's a freeze in the forcast for tomorrow night so that will be the end of the tomatos..

My sister got a driveby flu shot...;) What a world we live in...she didn't even need to get out of the car.

I should just curl up with this stack of unread books and magazines..and maybe I will. :D

And what's on your plate?

Wren 10-27-2007 07:19 AM

hmmmmmmmmm.........
Let me think .............
It's Saturday, right ????

Well, there's laundry, then .........
hmmmmmmmm...........

er, ah ......
well .........

That's about it.:winky:

DMACK 10-27-2007 07:37 AM

Well apart from continuing in my head to invent a MAGIC pill, that will rid the world of peoples inner turmoil, and saddness.:wink:

Im going shopping with my wife and boys,Tomorrow watching football on tv, my teams playing ASTON VILLA [Recently purchaced by Randy Lerner, owner of the Cleavland Browns]

Have a peaceful weekend:grouphug:

Take care of you

David

Curious 10-27-2007 09:00 AM

taking lil'monkey to her bff birthday sleepover. ahhhhh...one less kids. :wink:

grandmonkey is having a very hard time. a little 5yr old from a neighboring school got hit by a train and killed thursday night. :( the little boy was at the farm with him. ( school field trip). we had heard the siren and knew it had been something bad. we live pretty close to wear the accident happened.

we are spending the evening making his hat for the hat parade on halloween. the kids don't dress up, but they make a decorated hat that repesents one of their vocabulary words. his is measure. big word for a kindergardener huh?

enjoy your day reading alffe. wren...ummmm...well....i just hope your laundry gets done fast. i did mine yesterday. :wink: david..make that chewable pill please.

:grouphug: butt squeeze for the room.

FeelinGoofy 10-27-2007 09:35 AM

We're going to see Scott perform in the "Oklahoma" play tonight :)
He said last night performance went off without a hitch. They've had matinees every day this week for the elementary and Jr Highs. We WERE going to go last night, but Rebecca coulnd't go with us because of cheer so we decided to go tonight instead. Cant wait to see him....:rolleyes:

Alffe 10-27-2007 04:33 PM

Oh I'm so excited for you Goofy...Scott is so talented. Let us know how it went.

the sun is coming out in time to set! :p Maybe the full moon will show up.

David.....football? I didn't know England cared about football. :D May I also have a magic pill?

Laundry done Wren? how about ironing?..I am philosophically opposed to ironing. :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry lil monkey is having a hard time...:hug:

Doody 10-27-2007 05:05 PM

I just got home from spending the night with grandoody, daughter and son-in-law. Son-in-law has been in terrible pain with something I'd never ever heard of and his doctor said it is very rare. Torsion epiploic appendagitis. If it doesn't stop hurting on its own in 14 days (7 left), then they will consider surgery. As if he doesn't have enough on his plate.

Soninlaw also won't be going to their grand annual halloween party but daughter is, so daddy staying home with little doody.

I'm going to take a nice long hot bath, put my jammies on and watch movies and that's about it. No cleaning for me today. :p

I hope Bamboo and BJ are having relaxing days and doing things that make themselves feel good.

I'm sorry for everyone's problems here. :hug:

DMACK 10-27-2007 05:09 PM

Allfe

IT'S FOOTBALL in the UK:cool: [ YOU CALL IT SOCCER in the USA:D]

David

Alffe 10-27-2007 05:32 PM

ROFL...I suspected as much! Enjoy whatever it is.

FeelinGoofy 10-27-2007 11:39 PM

The play was awesome... For a high school performance i was VERY impressed.... and of course my son, even though he did not have the lead role,was the star of the show :rolleyes:
{{{HUGS}}} to everybody and i hope you have a good night with plesant dreams...

Alffe 10-28-2007 05:43 AM

well of course he was! *grin...thanks for letting us know.

Doody, I'm sorry your son-in-law is having so much pain with this. I never heard of it either! Hopefully it will quit before he has to have surgery. It's just always something with families....worry is the name of the game. :hug:

Wren 10-29-2007 09:19 PM

What's on my plate?

Gratitude that it's finally bed time.
Good night all ...........

Alffe 10-31-2007 08:12 AM

I finally finished painting the guest room closet...barely fit into it with a ladder..thank goodness for rollers with extenders!

We are still seeing deer every evening at dusk and there are still 5 of them even tho it's bow & arrow season..with guns to follow next month. ~sigh

A young woman came to the back door in tears because she had car trouble, forgot her cell phone and no one would answer their doors to help her. Of course Mr.Alffe let her in to use the phone and after she left, I got the lecture about never taking my cell phone with me. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to drop a few pounds before my physical this month...pointless unless I get back on that treadmill. :p

What's on your plate?

Doody 10-31-2007 12:16 PM

Work per usual.

It's COLD here today, brrrrr.

However it isn't trick or treat night. Not here in Iowa! It's just forbidden to allow trick or treating on Wednesday nite! Church nite! w h a t e v e r :rolleyes: Everyone went trick or treating last night.

Including granddoody, LOL. His first. Once he caught on, he had a ball. Very polite and said thank you every time someone gave him candy and then he would wave and say goodbye.

One place they went to, the folks had left candy in a big bowl on the porch. Doody ran to the porch where these kids were pounding on the poor people's door. And he spotted the bowl that apparently the other kids didn't see, and started loading his little Elmo bucket with candy, LOLOL. THEN, when they went to a place where a bowl was sitting, empty, he looked around like, "HUH? WHAT? Where's the candy!?" So he saw a display of pumpkins and gourds and took a little gourd and shoved it in his bucket. LMAO!

Not a good pic because it's from his momma's cell phone, but still cute in his little Elmo outfit with matching bucket. He LOVES Elmo.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...alloween07.jpg

Curious 11-02-2007 09:24 AM

i wanna pinch those cheeks!!!!!! :D ty for posting his new pic doody. :hug:

i got a sick kid on my plate...errrr...couch. grandmonkey threw up at school. first thing.

i'm really ticked off. not at him...but his mother. :mad:

KathyM 11-07-2007 10:20 AM

I'm trying to find a way to get to Oklahoma City next week. A very dear friend of mine has organized a native protest of Oklahoma's Land Run Centennial celebration. I'm very worried about her because she is already facing racially charged threats of violence, and she won't be able to count on the police to protect her. :( The group who is protesting has NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER of becoming "hostile" - so I'd really like to be present to make sure they don't get arrested. I'm more like a Keystone Cop than I am body guard, but I'd try my hardest to protect her from harm. :o IMO, doing nothing would be as bad as turning my back on my friend. :eek:

Here's an article another friend wrote about the upcoming events next week.

http://www.indianz.com/News/2007/005729.asp

Alffe 11-07-2007 12:20 PM

It's enough that you want to and are trying to go. Please do not do this at your own healths' expense. She'll feel your support Kathy whether you are there or not. :hug:

KathyM 11-07-2007 01:10 PM

Thanks Alffe :hug:

I attended a few protests during the Univ. of IL "Chief Illiniwek" fiasco. I was a little amazed I held up so well. One time I stood for hours in subzero weather with the downtown Chicago wind blasting us. Another time I spent the night outdoors sitting in a chair with temps only in the 30s and a painfully broken tooth after eating a hamburger earlier in the day. :eek:

It worked because I kicked into "mother" mode. Yeah, it took a lot out of me physically and emotionally. I was pretty sick afterwards, but it was worth it to me to make sure my friends were safe. No one was harmed, and no one was arrested. :D

When another friend protested the 2004 Outkast "Hey Ya" Grammy performance, I desperately wanted to join him. I offered, but he knows of my illness and found it inappropriate to ask me to travel to MN and stand for any length of time. During the protest he was attacked by security guards, beaten and thrown in jail. A frail man in his 70s was also beaten. The local newspapers claimed my friend and his group were "hostile." THAT took more out of me than standing in windy subzero weather or sitting out in the cold all night long. :(

I REFUSE to let the same thing happen to my friend in OK, but I know better. If I can make it there, all I can do is try. If they want to get at her, they're going to have to go through me first! :mad:

Alffe 11-07-2007 01:53 PM

Ok...promise to keep us posted so I'll know how much I have to worry and how many prayers to send with you. :o

FeelinGoofy 11-07-2007 02:37 PM

never mind.... :(

Curious 11-07-2007 02:46 PM

:hug: (((((vicky)))))

Wren 11-07-2007 03:48 PM

:hug: ((( Vicky )))
Hopes and prayers, many prayers, being said for you.

(those prayers always include praise, thanks and request for blessings for Alffe)

Alffe 11-09-2007 10:40 AM

Well how did I miss this! Thank you wren. :hug:

KathyM 11-09-2007 12:00 PM

Hmmm, so we're plate huggers now huh? :cool: ((Vicky, Wren, Curious, Alffe))

Looks like I'll be stepping into the frying pan. :eek: I'm so worried about my friends. I'm hoping I won't get arrested because we'll have Geneva with us. I'm promising you now I won't do anything against the law, and I won't fight back if I'm attacked.

We're going to need a lot of prayers - a LOT. Think of it this way....

Imagine having to stand and smile on stage all alone while being triggered by EVERY painful memory you've EVER had. Your audience is the people who caused your pain, and they are taunting, laughing, and threatening to repeat their assaults.

What would YOU do if they started throwing stones at you? Would you continue to smile, or would you fight back? How many stones would it take before survival instincts kicked in? If you fight back, should you be considered a "hostile savage" and thrown in jail? :confused:

On a personal level, there are many triggers for me too. I'm STILL haunted by what I saw during the Civil Rights Movement as a child, and I didn't even know those people. I desperately wanted to see MLK when he came to town but I was too young. I was HORRIFIED when my "elders" threw rocks at him. If I see ANYTHING that resembles the marches that took place down in the south during the 60s, it will turn me into a child again. But this time the people won't be strangers - they will be my dear friends. :(

I appreciate your prayers. :hug:

Alffe 11-09-2007 02:55 PM

Well of course you have my prayers KathyM...I demonstrated with my fellow Unitarians for civil rights...I lived through the sixties..I'm just a lot older and tireder but I sure understand about taking a stand. ~sigh~ You be safe! :hug:

KathyM 11-09-2007 03:23 PM

Thanks ((((Alffe))) :)

I'm thinking of that video where police pepper-sprayed a mother with infant in arms because they felt threatened by the large gathering of Indians. The gathering was just a celebration after a kids soccer match, but still. Man-oh-man would that hurt my eyes!! :eek:

The police seem to be a little taser happy these days though. If I happen to get tasered, it would most likely kill me. :o It would also probably be reported as a justifiable casualty in order to keep the "peace." Weird, huh? :rolleyes:

"DON'T TAS ME, BRO!" :p

Alffe 11-11-2007 04:32 PM

my sister and I are working on shoe boxes....a feel good project.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/OCC_PackAShoeBox.asp

We can't have enough of those! *grin

Wren 11-11-2007 04:55 PM

~blush~blush~ forgive me

Alffe 11-12-2007 06:47 AM

You are a shy little thing...stop hiding your light dear lady! What kind of cookies will you be making...bet the oven is preheating even as I type. :hug:

I seem to have a critter in my house...I heard a litle thud and there was a baby flying squirrel staring at me from under the baseboard..the question is....where has he run to....and when will Cooper realize it....:o

FeelinGoofy 11-12-2007 08:32 AM

singing at another funeral today.... sigh.........

KathyM 11-12-2007 12:11 PM

((Vicky)) :hug:

You carry a tremendous burden, but you provide an invaluable service to others - at a time when they are in desperate need of a caring heart. That's all they need from you - that caring heart. They don't need you to carry their pain. It's painful to say good-bye, but know in your heart you served them well. Grieve for them in your own way, but be sure to include some smiles in having the opportunity to have known such great people - even the cranky ones. :D

Doody 11-12-2007 02:36 PM

I think I'm sick and started feeling that way Sat. night. Icky all over feeling but big time sore throat. I never know anymore if it's fibro related or not. I just feel like crap. Wish I didn't have to work.

((Kathy)) It's nice that now when I see your name, I also see the sweet person behind the name.

Alffe 11-12-2007 04:25 PM

It's no fun to be sick....crazy weather, hard to know how to dress this time of year. Feel better Doody. :hug:

~scrabble 11-13-2007 10:28 AM

I wondered where you were, Doody ..... I hope you are feeling better today. Take care!

:hug:

Did you find the baby flying squirrel, Alffe? Did Cooper?

:hug:

Cinnamon French Toast with Carrot Marmalade on my plate this morning ... :p

Tuesday is our busy day at my house .... I tutor after work and then rush home to get dinner going. Then the 3 of us head off in different directions for Jazz Band, ballet and my jazz dance class.

Gotta dash!

I hope everyone has a good Tuesday! :grouphug:

KathyM 11-13-2007 11:11 AM

http://newsok.com/article/3167928/1194804926

Here's an article about the centenial celebration where my friend's mother speaks up for the first time about her experience at the Indian boarding schools. My friend also spent time there, but she was allowed to stay with her family until she was 15. My friend's relationship with her mother is similar to the relationship I had with mine - bonds broken. It was nice to see both of them quoted together "on the same page." It would be nice to see them heal. :hug:

People talk about doing away with the reservation systems. For the unaware, it seems appropriate. From the outside, it may look like a ghetto. They don't realize it's the final act of genocide. It may appear to make us look "united," but we have treaties with these people. They are sovereign nations. Sovereign nations around the world are watching how we treat our own. Do we treat them with respect and dignity - or do we call them ugly names, try to pull the wool over their eyes and try to take away their crumbs? :(

Another friend said "They either hate us or they want to be us." It's no wonder their daily lives are such a struggle. :rolleyes:

Hey, I wasn't the one who pointed his finger at the camera and said "You know what happens to people who don't tell the truth!" Nope, not me. :(

Alffe 11-13-2007 06:10 PM

:mad: We can't change history..we can only acknowledge wrong doing. I would hardly call this cause for celebration..it's causing more hurt and anger.

Now KathyM...tell oldalffe the truf...was that really your finger? *grin

Doody 11-13-2007 06:51 PM

:thud:

WHAT!? Has Kathy been flipping people the bird yet again??? :D

Well, I think I either had a short bug or it's just that old fibro thing again. So weird getting sore throats and feeling like you have the flu so often is really weird.

KathyM 11-13-2007 06:58 PM

Alffe - Nah. :rolleyes: That was me throwing my baloney sammich at the TV screen because I was taught the same thing. :mad: I never could get away with telling lies - not for long anyway. :rolleyes: Besides, how do you lie to God? :confused:

((Doody)) - I hope you're feeling better soon. :hug:

Alffe 11-14-2007 06:08 AM

Scrabble the little flying squirel has disappeared as quickly as he arrived. I hope for his benefit he went back up thru the walls from whence he came. :o
We had a lot of them on the summer kitchen before we "tightened it up" along with a possum who ....well, played possum. Living in an old farm house is interesting. Mr.Alffe sets the traps, I empty them. :rolleyes:

I wonder how long I'll look like a "Got Milk?" advertisement! ;)

My sil is coming Friday so I think I'll make a pot of **** soup...it's that time of year!

And Wren......about those cookies???:wink: That reminds me, I have to make cookies for coffee fellowship on Sunday.

Curious, did you really take back the brownies? LOL!

Hugs for the room. :grouphug:

Wren 11-14-2007 07:43 AM

Today is long, hard trip to one of the "special" docs in the city to check how things are going since surgery...... six months ago today.

And then we're going to ~gulp~ go see mom at her new apartment in an assisted living place.

Have to rush home as fast as we can so husband can get his exercises done before dinner time ....... almost impossible.

Alffe -I haven't made those cookies yet. The deadline is sometime next week ............... Maybe next week will be better, huh?