NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   RSD After TOS surgery - yes again.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/5813-rsd-tos-surgery-yes.html)

LisaM 11-08-2006 10:20 AM

RSD After TOS surgery - yes again....

I think I asked this on the old forum, but doesn't hurt to ask it here....

Those of us who ended up with rsd after the tos surgery...and ESPECIALLY those of us who were told PRIOR to the surgery that we had a pre-existing rsd condition, yet weren't given blocks to prevent the rsd from spreading...can the surgeons be held responsible for the spread, do you think?

Additionally, is there a chance we all had the same surgeon? Cuz i do know of at least one or two ppl who had the same surgeon I did and ended up worse...and he's on the Drs list, but I didn't think I was "allowed" to tell I don't recommend him (publicly that is).

Hugs
LisaM

Gromlily 11-08-2006 02:06 PM

Great Question LisaM !!!

...and I do feel that telling others whether by P.M. or other means is exactally what this forum is for !!

As patients, we do need to help each other in wht ever way we can. The Dr.'s (see my thread to SAW on the other forum) as we all well know, stick together. We need to be able to do the same! ;)

Excellent question!! :D

G~:)

LisaM 11-08-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gromlily (Post 36069)
The Dr.'s (see my thread to SAW on the other forum) as we all well know, stick together. We need to be able to do the same! ;)

Excellent question!! :D

Ah...I just looked at it. Okay...to expand on the "dr's stick together" issue...yes, I have found they do. Do you know how many times I have asked the question of different surgeons, "Should my surgeon have done blocks proir to the TOS surgery if he knew I had rsd, in order to prevent the spread or exacerbation of the rsd?" only to get the answer, "Well, um, er, well...it's really a, um...a kind of personal preference really...it's not MANDATORY, by any means, but it's what *I* would have done...personally that is."

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY will ever come out and say, "ABSOLUTELY he should have! That's common knowledge! I'd be willing to testify to that 1000%!" and until I hear that, more than likely I won't be able to sue him...which means he can never be held responsible for this.

Hugs
LisaM

dreambeliever128 11-08-2006 03:35 PM

Lisa

I mention Dr. Sanders on here when ever I talk about my surgery. He's my pick just like others have theirs. That's ok though, we all find Drs. that we either trust or we don't. There are also times when we trust a Dr. and then find it was misplaced.

You should be able to mention your Dr. on here. I think we have talked about the good or bad of some of them anyway but again we don't have to turn them into arguments.

Drs. do stick together. We see that so much. I have one Dr. though that says he doesn't trust Drs. and he has argued with some and even told one that he didn't like the way he did surgery. So there are some out there that disagree but 99% do stick together.

It's ironic I think that I went to the Vascular Institute for my surgery and he sent me to Dr. Sanders to do my surgery and even called him buy his first name. I think they are all tied together in a lot of ways and they really don't care which one we go to for surgery. They aren't competitive that's for sure.

A lot of Drs. also tend to not say a lot of things. I think they are taught in school the old saying " The less said the better". It saves their buts when things go wrong.

A lot of people were made worse by surgeries and I think it's from not telling a patient everything up front. It's great that we have this website because we can learn from each other and hopefully head of any mistake that a Dr. might make in the future by what we know.

I'm kind of wondering if a block shouldn't be done before any TOS surgery. It seems to be one of the biggest things that brings it out. I do ask my Drs. for blocks and I have ran up on several that won't touch me because of the RSD but I do believe that there are times when you have no choice but to have a surgery and some have the common sense to know that and will ward off any more pain then we already have

I hope you do start having some better days.
Ada

Gromlily 11-10-2006 12:39 PM

Ada and Lisa..

In my experience , and the key words here being my experience, (..mine, just mine...) it works both ways regarding the DR.s.

Some of them do work together because they realize it can be for the good of the patient to consistently work together. The have an opportunity to learn each others philosophies and techniques. I used to work in Oral surgery for a while where the Oral surgeon was doing reconstrution cases. We would go to lunch with the General Dentist, the Periodontist, and if possible the Primary Dr. or Oncologist and the prosthedontist to discuss the case and come up with a treatment plan (one of the joys of living in a smaller town).

I have also worked for specialty practices as well as General Dentists that have been extremely competetive; so much so that they have felt compelled to dig into their main competitors trash to compare fees charged, and/or compare the size of their ad in the phone book to others.

It is a shame that discussions do turn into arguments at times. I will add that I did not intend for things to take the twist that they did. I had e-mailed the now anonymous person many times, p.m.'d him, spoken with him on the phone. P.m'd him again and received excuse after excuse until I lost my patience and posted the now infamous and at the same time, nonexistent post. The bold print and "mad" faces I used were supposed to convey frustration, not to elicit the response it did. In hindsight. I see I should have known better than to post that way over there. There doesn't seem to be any room for disagreement with out it turning into an all out war. It's the same few, always has been, hopefully won't always be. I'll never know. I'm not going back.

When I came onto the B.T. forum almost 5 years ago, I began threads with questions of "Have you heard about DR. So and So. Some responses were posted. Others were P.M.'d.

I suppose that it would best to keep negative information you might have to share about your personal experience with a Dr. private, but then what's accomplished? Are we really here to protect and preserve Dr.'s reputations, or other TOS sufferers from negative outcomes ?? Isn't the purpose to educate others about our experiences?? Or is it only the good ones we share??

G~

LisaM 11-10-2006 02:01 PM

The surgeon who did my surgery was in one state. I spoke on the phone with TWO of the Denver surgeons who are recommended here, and BOTH of them told me that they believed this surgeon was wrong in what he did to me. That if THEY had done my surgery, they would have done blocks prior to the surgery. They also would have gone in thru my armpit rather than thru my clavicle. Now, I understand that the location they go in thru is a personal choice...and that's not my issue. My issue is that the surgeon TOLD ME prior to surgery that I had RSD. I had no idea that I did. ONE WEEK LATER I was scheduled for surgery. I think I posted here what he had said, and someone tried to tell me not to have the surgery if I had RSD...but by then, I was already there and under the knife...so it was too late.

One of the Denver docs also informed me he had done "several redo's" of patients who had already had surgeries by the same surgeon I had. Yet when I asked that Denver doc if he would testify to that, he hemmed and hawed around and said basically it was a "personal preference" on whether or not the blocks were done prior to surgery.

Yet when I read ANYTHING on the web having to do with surgeries on someone who has rsd, it appears to be COMMON KNOWLEDGE that this is the approach taken. I don't think my surgeon was particularly worried about it because he planned on doing my left side also, about 6 months later, and figured he would also do a sympathectomy at that time "if the issue didn't resolve after the right side surgery was done." Which, now, I know what a STUPID remark. Cuz surgery doesn't make rsd BETTER...it makes it WORSE...so that comment he made was all horsehockey! He just wanted to get more money, in my "assumption," for the sympathectomy he planned to do when I came back for the surgery on my left side for the TOS there.

Yet, insted, my RSD spread...so now I STILL have TOS on my left side....and in addition, have RSD in more places than I did before...so I'm in even worse shape...and can't do anything to hold him responsible cuz no other surgeons are willing to state that what he did was NOT generally practiced.

This just doesn't seem right.

I CAN, however, see how the periodontists and dentists, etc will all work together as a team for a patients common good. But when it comes to a situation such as that whcih I'm talking about...where the two Denver docs openly admitted to me that the surgeon I went to did me wrong...that they've redone some of his surgeries in the past and don't agree his methods are right, yet he continues to practice that way, and that he really did perform in a manner which is KNOWN to do more harm than good...yet they won't testify for me...that just doesn't sit well. That's "covering for" someone in their own field...and equal of theirs. Even though they KNOW that surgeon has done other patients BESIDES JUST ME wrong in the past. But, they do his "re-do's" so maybe it's a money thing for them, too. Who knows.

Jomar 11-10-2006 02:15 PM

I think a simple statement of "This was my outcome" or " this happened in my case" ect , should be fine.

Especially if you think there was a blatant disregard or mistake made - I would definitely make a short note about it and post "for more info PM me" - in the Dr list sticky.

Something like that??

I am sure all drs & surgeries can have good & not so good outcomes - especially with TOS.

I can't help to feel that if any underlying posture -or any other- issues aren't addressed long term -symptoms may return.

Gromlily 11-10-2006 03:20 PM

Yes,

I see your point and I agree.

My understanding is if you are working with an HMO here in CA,and haven't had the outcome you expected, the patient can file a complaint with the Department of Managed Healthcare ( I don't know if this applies to all situations, or states).

My husband filed a complaint after being denied a procedure he wanted at our HMO. He was concerned because he had filed a complaint against the Surgeon who was to do his his cancer surgery as he wanted a different type of treatment. They ruled that the procedure the Surgeon had reccomended doing was fine and an acceptable treatment. Rather than allow the cancer to continue to grow, he went ahead and had the procedure done. His worst fears were realized and he had major radiation damage from the procedure.

My husband's second case is now being filed with the board, and in this one he is filing charges against his HMO for his radiation burns. We were told we had to go this route first before we could pursue legal charges. You go before a Independant Medical review board and present your evidence or have an authorized representative present it; it doesn't cost you anything to file or appear before the board.

Maybe others can tell you if they have taken that route and had a good outcome.

This is supposed to be a way to have the Surgeon disciplined, or his liscense revoked with out having to involve another Surgeon who may be unwilling to voluntarily participate.

I hope that maybe this time I have better understood your question and been able to help some,

dreambeliever128 11-10-2006 03:25 PM

Lisa,

Jo is right sometimes surgeries done by the no. 1 Dr. in the US can turn out wrong but it was very wrong for that Dr. not to address your RSD. As for a sympethomy. I have heard that even with them the RSD can come back and be worse.

My surgery was done at the neck area and let me tell you I am so happy with where I'm at with my surgery. I fell again and messed myself up but I am still not as bad as I was before the surgery. I felt like I was 75% better after my TOS surgery.

I think on the old forum we did try to discuss Drs. but it got so out of hand it finally had to be stopped completely. It could not be discussed rationally. Some Drs. are put up on a pedestal and as I said before our trust can be displaced. I have only found that with one or two Drs. I have some great Drs. on my team now but believe me I went to at least 75 before I got the ones that stepped up to the plate and did my surgeries and followed through with good care and stuck by me.

I hate it when a Dr. does a procedure and just throws you out in the cold and leaves you as you are. They are not going to admit their mistakes though. I have only had one Dr. tell me he was sorry for the way he handled a problem. That is very rare.

They very seldom testify against each other and unfortunetely it has been made harder to sue Drs. by laws that have been past in the past 6 years. I have talked to several lawyers and they said that it is very hard for them anymore to sue a Dr. or a pharmaceutical company.

I think though in a way it's sad that we can't tell our stories on here to keep other people from going to the wrong Drs. Here in our little town Drs. have reputations that precede them. People here have a story to tell on a certain Dr. and they do. After you hear so many people tell horror stories about one Dr. then you know not to go to that one. We even have a hospital here that has such a bad reputation that people tend to go out of town. I feel like people have a right to know the truth and then make their decision.

I am an advocate for trying to get the truth out around here about certain Drs. I listen to peoples stories and I have my own story to tell and I use it to try and make other people aware.

I realize here we most likely can't do it peacefully so I know what jo is saying. Maybe people can PM you for the facts and name of the Dr.

Ada

Gromlily 11-10-2006 05:01 PM

Ditto...

I agree with Ada and Jo both.

I do what Ada does as well, when asked my view or experience in the town that I live in.

And in the future, I will do as Jo has suggested and post a stickie.;)

((Hugs back Lisa))
G~ :)

DiMarie 11-10-2006 06:30 PM

Rsd

Just my thoughts but with TOS and RSD (CRPS I & II) there seems to be so many schools of thought. Two surgeons deemed top in the field will automatically do a sympathectomy if you have symptoms of RSD. However, the same patients that corresponded with me were concerned because of the sympathectomy being done, made them worse now.

The blocks may help make the erve sleep during surgery, but blocks only last a short period of time. I think there are a lot of varibles to discuss with the surgeon pre op during the "informed consent" your right to know. The doctor has to tell you the risk, what will be done to reduce the risk and if the worse happens what they can do to reslove or address it.
For example: if a nerve in the arm is nicked, some surgoens explain that they will cut the enrve completly. This is because the nicked nerve will burn and hurt like he!!, but if the nerve is then cut it stops and will feel like novacain at the dentist instead.

One thing that hapens to some is the arm being placed with a tourniquet in the sling held up for long can bring on a whole new problem or escalate the old one; there are several nerves in the area that can be nicked, damaged in stretching, or cut too.

When I had knee surgery in 1997, I developed RSD in my foot. But still had a second surgery to again do the miniscis tear, clean up osteo arthritis that affected under the knee cap and removed a bakers cyct that formed. I did not get any exageration in my RSD in my foot. Opposit side of my body.

There is the conversation with the doctor, by signing away the permission consent a lot of side problems unless neglagence are signed away in the risk. As the doctor explained the risk.
I am not sure wht the research shows or tht there is any information of using blocks is protocol or would help. That is an area I have not researched, but will.

Just doing some thinking out loud and sharing some personal experiance.
IT is always best to call our surgeon and speak to them and ask all the questions you can think of and try to understand and reslove what happens in surgery and post op healing
Di

dreambeliever128 11-11-2006 07:44 PM

My blocks have lasted each time after surgery. When the Dr. did my shoulder surgery the second time they did a block on me right after I went to sleep. I know because I thought he was going to give it to me before and when I saw that needle coming at me I just paniced but I was on my way out and he said he was going to wait until I was out.

When Dr. S done took out my muscle underneath my left arm he had a block done first. The RSD didn't come out at all. I honestly believe that if there is a chance that the RSD can be kept in then we have to ask for that block.

The Drs. don't always disclose everything. I don't think any of them discussed RSD as a possibility with me but by being on this forum could help some. I was so out of it I just never went to any other forum but the TOS forum at the time and later after I developed the RSD I went to that forum.

I think also RSD is being discussed more now on this forum then it use to be and that is helping people to ask questions about it and learn about it.

I can't imagine a Dr. wanting to do a sympathectomy so quick without talking to a patient about the things that can be done to help get the RSD calmed down. I never was offered that by anyone that I saw about my RSD. I did think it might be a good ideal at times but Deb helped me understand the consequences of one. They only work for so long and then from what I have heard the RSD comes back worse.

To me there are very few Drs. care about their patients and only see the dollar signs on them. The better the insurance the more they want to do to them. I also think they are taught to distance their self from patience and only keep it in strictly professional. Luckily some Drs. are not like that and you really have to research the Dr. and see them more then once before a surgery to get some ideal of what they are really about.

I do believe in blocks though. I also wanted to say that Dr. Hooshmand in Florida wrote a book about RSD. It cost 85. but it was the best 85 dollars I have ever spent. I learned about triggerpoint injections and other things we can do to fight the RSD. It also tells what all RSD can do to the body.

Lisa, I do hope you start feeling better. It's always been a tossup to me which is worse my TOS, RSD, or Fibro. I am so sorry that you did have such a bad experience. I had one with an Osteopathic Dr. so I know where you ae coming from.

I hope you start seeing some better days.

Ada

flippnout 11-13-2006 02:29 PM

Hey LisaM, and everyone else I had TOS surgery and a sympathectomy done at the same time I first had test done to see if I was positve for CRPS (RSD) wich I was. I was told everything by this doctor (Same as LisaMs') I was told the risk factors nothing surgar coated for me, this doctor let me know my options at the time since I had not recieved any treatments for so long, for TOS and CRPS no meds no anything I had nothing to lose since I was living in a constant pain scale of 10, my eyes where shut all the time and my head was on shoulder all the time, surgery was my only option. I did not rush into this I talked to a Pain Mng. doc recomended by RSD'rs and a Top Ortho in the country befor deciding this, all where in agreement on me a sympathectomy and TOS surgery was the only option.

I will say this Doctor exsplained everything to me, as well as the other doctors all the negatives and positives wich where few a 20-30% chance it would work is all and even less by other docs, it is too soon to say if RSD has spread since my nerves are going through alot after my TOS decompression and sympathectomy , I will say Doc said I was the worst TOS decompression he has seen , he was amazed how I could even function like he said I was living in just survive mode. I hurt but I haft to see where this takes me now I will let my body heal and go from there I know I may my CRPS come back worse or it may be gone or spread, and my TOS as well.

LisaM 11-14-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippnout (Post 37696)
Hey LisaM, and everyone else I had TOS surgery and a sympathectomy done at the same time I first had test done to see if I was positve for CRPS (RSD) wich I was. I was told everything by this doctor (Same as LisaMs') I was told the risk factors nothing surgar coated for me, this doctor let me know my options at the time since I had not recieved any treatments for so long, for TOS and CRPS no meds no anything I had nothing to lose since I was living in a constant pain scale of 10, my eyes where shut all the time and my head was on shoulder all the time, surgery was my only option. I did not rush into this I talked to a Pain Mng. doc recomended by RSD'rs and a Top Ortho in the country befor deciding this, all where in agreement on me a sympathectomy and TOS surgery was the only option.

I will say this Doctor exsplained everything to me, as well as the other doctors all the negatives and positives wich where few a 20-30% chance it would work is all and even less by other docs, it is too soon to say if RSD has spread since my nerves are going through alot after my TOS decompression and sympathectomy , I will say Doc said I was the worst TOS decompression he has seen , he was amazed how I could even function like he said I was living in just survive mode. I hurt but I haft to see where this takes me now I will let my body heal and go from there I know I may my CRPS come back worse or it may be gone or spread, and my TOS as well.

I think the difference though...is even though we had the same surgeon, he did NOT explain any of this to me, as he did to you. I saw him one week, we scheduled surgery for the next. We did NO TESTS other than a physical exam. All that included was him testing how I raised my arms, and my strength and poking me in a few areas to see when symptoms occurred. He also did NOT explain to me what RSD was, and did NOT explain to me that it could get worse because of the surgery. I brought all of my mri's, emg results, etc...and he didn't even look at anything I brought. Now, I suppose part of this is my fault....but we all know what it's like to FINALLY hear someone say, "Yep...this is what you have, and I can certainly help you,and this is how!" So I jumped at the chance to finally feel better, after a long road of doctors telling me that I was basically nuts.

Maybe he was different with you BECAUSE of what happened with me? Or maybe because you were a WC case? I don't know. All I know is I am SO GLAD, and SO HAPPY that he didnt' treat you the way he treated me...and I so hope that you have a much better outcome than I did. I wish he'd have asked me to have more tests done. I wish he'd have explained to me what RSD was. I wish I'd have had the opportunity to read here on the forum the person who told me not to have the surgery if I had rsd also (but it was too late...I got that message after I'd already had the surgery). i wish a LOT of things. All I know is your experience with this doctor and my experience with him wre totally and completely different. he told me that 75-80% of my symptoms would be resolved with surgery. So, perhaps I had Dr. Jekyll and you had Mr. Hyde LOL!

gibbrn 11-14-2006 11:13 AM

Test for crps????

ok guys showing my ignorance.......what test for CRPS or rsd...been told I have crps 1....which is now supposidly all lumped into crps no deliniation as to which type so the whole of the medical community worldwide can get the wording correct and know what the heck each other is talking about.......

anyhoooo....want to know the test I had the nerve blocks after 6mths of no pain post op and was almost fully functional until physio killed me and put me back to where I was pre op........damn it all to heck......but anyhow again.......I am stll in pain and want to know what type of blocks you guys have or wish to have had.....I have had trigger point bupivicaine (anesthetic sp??) and not sure it helped at all and if it did it only helped in a few spots....think I want marcaine....I know it lasts longer we used to give it to our post op below or above knee amputation oncology patients right into the nerve......they had no pain at ALL and could move until we took the pump out but it lasted for another day at least!!!! so....agian info would be nice guys>????

thanks
LOst....oh I mean Victoria.
hugs

dreambeliever128 11-14-2006 01:36 PM

Hi Lisa,

I believe the way they test for RSD is to do a block and if you see changes in the pain level and symptoms that shows you have it. That's how they tested for me and also they listen to a person explaining their symptoms.

There are color changes in the limb that has RSD and temperature changes. It's been so long since I was diagnosed I can't remember.

As far as a Sympathectomy, very few people get them. I find it hard to believe that a Dr. would do one without trying things like triggerpoint injectons, blocks, and meds before going on to that major step.

I have heard so many horror stories about Sympathectomy. I talked to many Drs. that wouldn't even think of doing them. The RSD comes back full force in most people after about 9 months is what I was told by Drs. and don't think it wasn't something I didn't think about at times.

I don't know if I as you Lisa, but do you have a pain management Dr. Also an Anesteologist is the best person to do blocks I believe although there are some pain Drs. that do. I finally gave up on finding a good PM Doctor. My PCP does everything to manage my pain but the blocks.

I absolutely know what you are going through. When I came on this forum back around 98, I was in so much pain, suicide stayed on my mind most of the time. The pain was unbearable.

I do believe that there are some find Drs. out there that can do TOS surgery but we have to be very careful who we put our faith in. I do know that that is hard to do also so I don't want you to think I'm saying you didn't. There are list on the Internet of Drs. in different states that their names are mud so you can go into Dr.s list and find that info. Some websites charge for the info. I tried to find info for a Dr. here in Colorado for a friend and they took her 10. and she got nothing from them. So that's a hazzard also.

I do hope you start feeling better and find some good health care to help you get through what you are going through.
Ada

LisaM 11-14-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibbrn (Post 37983)
ok guys showing my ignorance.......what test for CRPS or rsd...been told I have crps 1....which is now supposidly all lumped into crps no deliniation as to which type so the whole of the medical community worldwide can get the wording correct and know what the heck each other is talking about.......

No, no, no....test for TOS...and the blocks for RSD.

Sorry for the confusion. LOL!

And as for blocks....UPPER rsd is usually helped with Stellate Ganglion Blocks - my PT doc wanted to do one immediately upon seeing the rsd setting in (about 6 weeks post op) but my surgeon said no way...said it was "too soon after surgery" and the area was way too sensitive/swollen and the area that the needle needs to go in is right there...so there's no way they could have hit the right "spot." So...I didn't. Now, my current pain doc says it's "too late" and they won't help me.

However, I've heard others with upper rsd say they COULD...though the docs all say no...

But...for upper body, it's the SGB's. I will see if I can find the link I had showing how one is done. It's either posted here or on the RSD board. I'll go see if I can find it.

flippnout 11-14-2006 03:33 PM

Hey LisaM and everyone else I hope we are doing well today, me I had PT today and it is wet and cold here so imagine the worse. LisaM sorry for what you are going threw mabey it was the WC because everything has to be in black and white for them. I went to Our doctor with opinions from other docs WC sent me to and one I paid for saying possible for RSD after all anyone dealing with WC knows doing a IME,AME, so on it is just opinions right so our doc had to prove or disprove CRPS (RSD) so I was sent to do a series of SGB's to see if I had this, of course it came back positive not what I wanted. LisaM you say now that your pain doc says it is too late the same with me see I had a chance for them to be usefull to me early in this I had a doc who said possible for RSD he recomended SGB's to be done guess what it was in the 6 month window, in fact 3 months since injury and the WC/IC played the odds and tried to disprove it saying it was all in my head and I was cured.
I know it is way to early for me to say my CRPS is worse or moved, I was told in 6 months we will see where we are 1 year to see full affects of surgery, I kid you not when I say I was the worse case this doc has seen my nerves where so compressed he was amazed how I even functioned, he even questions me on knowing how much pain I'm in, he says I'm not showing him all my pain, I wish I was given 75-80% chance he never said that to me nor did the other docs I seen after him befor surgery I know why have the surgery than? any one dealing with WC would know they can use the report against me, they can claim I'm refusing treatment so I would haft to go to a hearing so I wait several months, without pain meds or help of anykind and just about time to go to hearing they the WC/IC would say hold on need more info so depos and more waiting for months again all the while I'm getting worse playing theyre game of stalling. I blame the IC/WC for my mess.
Who knows if I get better or I may get worse like evryone says it is too early that is all I want to say it has not been 6 months or a year yet I'm in for a hell of a ride though.
I hope and pray for everyone to have a pain free day, LisaM no matter what we have a long road ahead of us all OK buddy OH I just had a wierd moment there Pauley Shore saying OK Budd-ddy LOL

beth 11-14-2006 03:47 PM

Vic,

CRPS I is RSD with no known nerve injury, CRPS II is what used to be called causalgia, or RSD with major nerve injury. And yes, a stellate ganglion block is what you want done as a diagnostic test for RSD, and a series of these should be done as they can help reduce the pain and MAY be able to put the RSD into remission if done early enough.

Lisa, Have you actually spoken with a Pain Mgmnt Dr or Anesthesiologist who is really knowledgeable about treating RSD? I think there is no reason not to try the SGB's to see if they help, while it may be too late to put the RSD into remission, I've heard of many Dr's who do them for patients in order to reduce their pain level. Seems to me they can't know how they will work for a person until they at least give them a try, from what I've heard. I know there are a couple of really good RSD Drs in Chicago, don't know if that is a possibility for you, but think you might benefit from another opinion completely apart from this group of Drs you've been seeing.

I know after my vaccine injury my Dr's group was not helpful, they were more concerned about helping him keep his you-know-what covered, I had to go to Dr Togut in PA (I'm in IL) to get a dx , really most of the help I've gotten has been outside this medical group as they have tried to deny my dx and appropriate treatment due to the risk management people (lawyers) .

I think you would probably get better treatment by going elsewhere, if a Dr or hospital "messes up" on a patient once, their lawyers will basically tell them not to offer any tests or treatment that could confirm that they messed up - even though it may be treatment you need. They're looking out for their interests first. I learned the hard way you have to look out for your own, by finding Drs who are not associated in ANY way with the original Dr's medical group.

Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you want!

beth :)

dreambeliever128 11-14-2006 08:23 PM

Hi Lisa

FIRST OFF, I PM'ed you to talk to you and said also that you could email me if you ever want someone to talk to.

I just wanted to say something on the blocks being to late to help. That's so wrong.

I talked a girl into having blocks after having RSD for 30 years and she couldn't believe what a difference they had done. She had never had one offered to her before and I gave her the name of my Anesteologist and she was so happy.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it's too late. Go to a good Anesteologist or a good Pain Dr. and get their opinion. Don't take just one Drs. opinion either.

I urge you not to listen to a Dr. that tells you that's it's too late for blocks. I never had any for over a year or so after I got RSD and they worked. The story is that you need them within the first 3 to 4 months, that is just not always the case. Don't go for a sympethectomy before you go this route.

Beth, I don't mean to dispute your word on the blocks being to late but I know better by the people I have seen around here with RSD. A lot of people do have that ideal because we have read it a lot but again it is just not always the case.

You do usually have a series also. I only had 3 because of complications but they helped. The Dr. wanted to do a series of 15 on me but what he did helped.

Ada

LisaM 11-15-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beth (Post 38056)
Lisa, Have you actually spoken with a Pain Mgmnt Dr or Anesthesiologist who is really knowledgeable about treating RSD? I think there is no reason not to try the SGB's to see if they help, while it may be too late to put the RSD into remission, I've heard of many Dr's who do them for patients in order to reduce their pain level. Seems to me they can't know how they will work for a person until they at least give them a try, from what I've heard.

....... if a Dr or hospital "messes up" on a patient once, their lawyers will basically tell them not to offer any tests or treatment that could confirm that they messed up - even though it may be treatment you need. They're looking out for their interests first. I learned the hard way you have to look out for your own, by finding Drs who are not associated in ANY way with the original Dr's medical group.

Hey Beth...yes, I'm seeing a pain doc now. And he's not associated in any way with my TOS surgeon. That surgeon wasn't even in my state. I had my TOS surgery in December of 05, so next month will be one year. Supposedly I had RSD also at that time, cuz the surgeon is the one who told me I did, based on some color changes and sensitivity to slight breezes and light touch during my exam. AFTER my surgery, and back home here in Michigan, I went to PT...and when I went, I asked the therapist why my hand was so badly "shedding" - I mean, the skin was so HORRIBLY dead that it wasn't just regular dried skin...it was actually flaking into POWDER. She took one look at it and said, "Lisa! This is RSD!" and immediately made me an appointment for the Dr there - and I can't remember what his title was, what TYPE of doctor. But he is the one who wanted to do the SGB. He contacted my surgeon, and the surgeon said ABSOLUTELY NOT! He said it was way too soon after the TOS surgery. It's my understanding that when doing the SGB, they put the needle somewhere into your neck, and since I had 2 scalenes removed, and the top rib, and I was still very, very swollen and sore in that area, as were the "internal things," it would be almost impossible for the person giving the block to get the needle into the right place...and I guess it has to be pretty precise. So, that was cancelled. (This was only about one month after my surgery).

The doctor at PT said he considered at that time that my having the block was an "emergency" and he was quite disappointed that my surgeon nixed it. My surgeon also told him he did not, under ANY circumstances, want me having the blocks until at LEAST 6-9 months after my surgery. PT doc was extremely upset...But he said that he had to go along with what the surgeon wanted...that when he and his office were treating post surgical patients, they had to go along with a surgeons treatment protocol. And especially when it came to TOS, cuz it's such a rare disorder, and my surgeon had STRICT instructions for what I was and was not to do.

I was in therapy for about 4 or 5 months. We did what we could as far as the RSD was concerned. WE did desensitization, they taught me about it, we did tendon glides, and they explained to me that if I did not keep these tendons and muscles, etc active that they would eventually shorten and I'd end up with a "claw hand." So I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with what they did as far as therapy goes.

When going to therapy, the pt doc was also taking care of my prescriptions. They determined they had done as much as they could do....gave me a 2 week break, and had me do some exercises at home, and go about my daily business then measured me again after that. Found that I was making the same (minimal) progress I was making there (I had hit a wall, where I was making SMALLER progress than I was in the beginning) so they discharged me. The doc gave me my final rx's and told me to find an md near home (cuz I had moved from where I had been originally). I did...and FINALLY I found a doc who recognized my pain and my illnesses and sent me to a pain doctor immediately.

I am EXTREMELY comfortable with this pain doc. The first time I saw him, I was a bit "put off" by his cold bedside manner. It was a "wham, bam, thank ya ma'am" type deal...but after seeing him a few times, I realize now it's only because he knows what he's doing. I didn't have to go into detail with him, explain to him like a little kid (like all the other docs) what this disease is, how it makes me feel, how it's really NOT all in my head, and it really DOES hurt and all that...only for them to tell me I'm nuts. And I've seen 3 different docs at this place...and every one of them have said the same thing..."it's too late." They all say that since I had rsd BEFORE the surgery, and I had TOS for over 5 years, chances are I've had the RSD for much of the time I've had the TOS, cuz much of the time it goes hand in hand, and I also recall the sensitivity to light breeze and touch for that entire time. So they all feel that with me having the both conditions (presumably) for so long (though the rsd for SURE for at LEAST a year) that it's "too late" for the sgb.

And quite frankly...the thought of needles in my neck scares the BEEJEEZUS out of me.

LisaM 11-15-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambeliever128 (Post 38131)
FIRST OFF, I PM'ed you to talk to you and said also that you could email me if you ever want someone to talk to.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it's too late. Go to a good Anesteologist or a good Pain Dr. and get their opinion. Don't take just one Drs. opinion either.

You do usually have a series also. I only had 3 because of complications but they helped. The Dr. wanted to do a series of 15 on me but what he did helped.

Ada

Hello Ada...I got your PM...and tried to mail you back yesterday. Though I did, but when I checked, I guess I didn't. When I was closing down my puter yesterday, my email hung up, so all the mails I had responded to that were ready to send, didn't send...and didn't save either. So I responded to you thru the pm's here today :) I appreciate the offer to talk if Ineed it. You're a sweetheart :)

See...thing is, I didn't listen to just ONE doctor though. In fact, out of 3 pain docs, one surgeon, and another another doc (my PT doc, I want to say he's a psyiatrist maybe???) only ONE recommended the block...and that's the pt doc right in the beginning (I posted the whole hoopla to Beth in my really long winded post to her if you feel like reading a novel!). So I don't get it really.

I dunno. I also don't like needles that much. I can handle them in my arm, but to see one coming for my neck just totally freaks me out. I dont know if I'd be able to handle that, or even to relax enough to be able to go thru it.

dreambeliever128 11-15-2006 04:23 PM

Lisa,

When you have a SGB you are usually under general anestetic. You will not see that needle coming at you. I do believe some people have said they have been awake when it was done but it's not usually the rule.

With a SGB you usually wake up sounding like Donald Duck for awhile and you have a sore throat and sometimes no voice for awhile but it it works and you are asleep you might want to think about it.

I do know what you are saying about shots. I'm had those IV's put everywhere in me, even my feet. I have had 100's of triggerpoint injections maybe close to 1000. I got 28 in my stomach twice at one time and that hurt. I do have a Dr. though that can do those tp shots and I can't even tell I'm getting them. He says I have a high tolerance to pain but I don't. I cried and cried for about 5 years with the worst pain I thought a person could ever deal with. When you get that bad then it's hard not to say do anything to you.

I can't believe that you are able to work, that is wonderful. I always am happy to hear that a person can work. They have to be extra strong to do that.

Keep looking for the right Drs. because if you don't give up you will find them. I use to think there was no such thing as a good Dr. but I have a very good team now.

Have a good evening girl, hopefully with very little pain.
Ada

LisaM 11-16-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambeliever128 (Post 38451)
I can't believe that you are able to work, that is wonderful. I always am happy to hear that a person can work. They have to be extra strong to do that.

Have a good evening girl, hopefully with very little pain.
Ada

Ada, don't be thinking I'm that strong. I work in an office, doing all the bookkeeping, but this place is so small, it's just me, the owner and one other guy. So that tells you how much work I do. And....my filing hasn't been done ALL YEAR. I have GOT to do that. But my hands hurt so bad that by the time i'm done internetting and typing shippers, I'm spent and cant do anything else...so I just don't get the filing done. Maybe if I'd do THAT instead of typing HERE I'd get it done???? Nah! why shoul I do that? Dr said typing IS good exercise for my hands, right? So this is THERAPY! Surely my boss would agree! LOL!

See...thing is...I've been here 8 years (day after Thanksgiving will be 8 years). My boss is a friend of my Mom and Stepfather's. And he's almost like a father to me. And he's said on several occassions that when he retires (and he's going to be 67 in Feb on Groundhogs day and is already collecting SS) that he's going to give the company to me and my coworker. GIVE! Not SELL, but GIVE. Now, granted, he's said that at times after a "liquid lunch" but at other times when he HASN'T had that...and we DO know for sure that he's willed the company to the two of us with 51/49 ownership - with me having 51% because I'm a woman and hopefully that would get us some benefits with it being "minority owned." The building is already paid for, all the equipment is paid for, etc. We are well known all over the area, and this company has been in business over 40 years. He bought it from the previous owners (he used to work for them). So IF THAT HAPPENS, then I really can be here in an "owners" position which would be more "sales" and actually be able to hire someone PART TIME to do what I do (cuz what I do really COULD be done only part time if it weren't for the phones). Plus...the insurance is GREAT.

So how can I give up? Luckily my doctors are all for someone with RSD to continue working...so they are doing all they can to help me to CONTINUE working. Everyone in my family and SO's family are trying to get me to apply for SSD, but I'm trying NOT TO...cuz what I "may" stand to lose in the longrun, which is part ownership of this company, is too much...

Does this tell you why I sufffer thru and why i really shouldn't be considered "strong"? LOL!

DDayMBB 11-17-2006 08:14 AM

OT... Di, I hope you, buried in books and the rest of us in N.E. Pa., escaped onscaved in our recent storm... seem like the year is starting to end the way its started !!!

~MARK-n-GOOBER~~~