NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Shoes (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/166425-shoes.html)

Kitty 03-12-2012 05:39 PM

Shoes

I miss being able to wear the shoes I used to wear. :( Heels and sandals. I used to have an embarrassing number of shoes. :o

I loved shoe shopping. When I worked I think I spent more money on shoes than clothes.

Now, my shoe wardrobe consists of:

2 pair of flat Sketcher Mary Janes (one black, 1 tan)
1 pair of Keds (white)
1 pair of Grasshoppers (kind of like keds) (navy blue)
1 pair of Clark's slip on sandal type (black)

I wear the Ked's and Grasshoppers almost exclusively.

I was just watching a commercial for cute summer sandals and thought "wow, I'd break my neck if I tried to walk in those!".

Blessings2You 03-12-2012 06:00 PM

I gave up wearing the "pretty" shoes years ago because of problems with my feet and ankles, but I have a boat load of "sensible" shoes that I can't wear anymore. I hold on to them because my feet change, but I gave quite a few to my granddaughter.

I have a couple pairs of Merrells that I wear if I have to dress up (very loosely speaking), otherwise I wear Crocs or my Teva sandals. Or boots, which are Merrell mocs.

I watch people prance around in those heels and think, "Well, there's a sprained ankle waiting to happen!"

TheSleeper 03-12-2012 06:04 PM

" I loved shoe shopping. " LOL, if you are female that is expected!

Kitty 03-12-2012 06:11 PM

I never wore really high heels.....like the stilettoes.....but maybe as high as 2 1/2". I'm already 5'7" so I couldn't wear them too high.

I tried on some of my work shoes that I still had a year or so ago and found that I could not walk in them. I packed them up and donated them.....but it was hard to do. I know.....I should be thankful that I have shoes to wear even if they are "sensible".....and I am thankful for them. But I used to love to get a pedicure and be able to wear the strappy, open-toed cute summer shoes.

Dressing up now has a totally different meaning (and look) to me now. :o

SallyC 03-12-2012 07:23 PM

Shoes used to be my big thing too. I never wore the spiky ones either, because comfort was always important....Beauty with comfort.:)

When I dressed up, I DRESSed up.. never wore slacks on a date. Of course, I was dating in the late 50s to mid 60s, when wearing a dress was in..LOL.

Dressing up now is a new pair of pull on slacks, tee, blouse and a pair of slip on shoesys.:D

TwoKidsTwoCats 03-13-2012 12:08 AM

I have always been about comfort with my shoes. Sneakers, loafers and simple dress shoes. I even wore ballet slippers with my wedding dress. I would have been barefooted, but it was Dec 28th! :D

.....oh, and I hate shoe shopping with a passion.:Head-Spin: LOL

mochagirl13 03-13-2012 08:36 AM

I refuse to get rid of my heels. I pray some day to just be able to stand in them. I find (few) cute flats so I'm a sneakers gal now and in the summer it's either flip flops or very low heeled sandals, we're talking 1/2 inch.:(

Debbie D 03-13-2012 09:38 AM

I hate shoe shopping too...mainly because I take an 11N, almost impossible to find except for Nordstrom's.
I'm 5'9" so stilletos were out, even with DH standing at 6'2"...he misses me in heels, because I'm afraid to wear any over 1 1/2"...it's sad the fun things we've given up:(

Nanc 03-13-2012 12:54 PM

Like all of you, I miss my shoes :(

At the moment I am in sneakers because of a foot problem. Before I got married, my best friend would come visit me and we'd shop mostly for shoes...so much that we got in tight with a shoe store manager, oh the deals! Loved shoes so much! My family called me Imelda Marcos because I had so many LOL! I am 5'9", so I didn't wear anything very high.

A couple of years ago I switched to wearing Danskos at the doctors recommendation, now they hurt my feet! I hate shopping for shoes now :(

I look at the styles out now and know that I would fall off of them and hurt myself!

Kitty 03-13-2012 01:10 PM

I guess it's a blessing in disguise that I can't wear most of the new shoe fashions that are out there now. I couldn't afford it! :p

ANNagain 03-13-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochagirl13 (Post 860590)
I refuse to get rid of my heels. I pray some day to just be able to stand in them. I find (few) cute flats so I'm a sneakers gal now and in the summer it's either flip flops or very low heeled sandals, we're talking 1/2 inch.:(

I swear, if I end up in a wheel chair, I am going to wear some killer shoes & heels! :D

ANN

ANNagain 03-13-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanc (Post 860651)
A couple of years ago I switched to wearing Danskos at the doctors recommendation, now they hurt my feet! I hate shopping for shoes now :(

I look at the styles out now and know that I would fall off of them and hurt myself!

Bun & I took a walk around our neighborhood yesterday (it was like summer). We found a new Dansko's store. I could not believe how heavy one shoe was. I didn't even try them on.:eek:
ANN

ewizabeth 03-13-2012 09:49 PM

I order six or more pair at a time from Zappos and return those that don't fit. I can't wear heels higher than 1.5 inches and they have to have comfort soles. It is a real chore for me to find shoes, and I have to stand all day as well! I got some winter boots by Timberland that fit well and took me forever to find. I highly recommend Zappos because they have free shipping both ways and great customer service.

Nanc 03-14-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNagain (Post 860774)
Bun & I took a walk around our neighborhood yesterday (it was like summer). We found a new Dansko's store. I could not believe how heavy one shoe was. I didn't even try them on.:eek:
ANN

Some of them are pretty heavy and sturdy! But they have some styles that are not quite so heavy. They definitely take some getting used to and my feet loved them once they adjusted to them. Then this past fall/winter they made my feet hurt even more - bizarre! Makes me made because they are so expensive!!

mochagirl13 03-14-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNagain (Post 860773)
I swear, if I end up in a wheel chair, I am going to wear some killer shoes & heels! :D

ANN

You've got the right idea, not hoping you end up in a wheelchair.

kicker 03-19-2012 10:27 AM

I loved shoes. I had some great ones. Sometimes I "visit" them. I'm in a chair but I transfer so heels are out! If I we going out, I might wear one when in the chair, flats for the travel and transfer.

Since shoes are out, I indulge my self with neat slippers (silk and velvet and neat) and silk scarves. Don't smoke, don't drink, what can I do?

tkrik 03-19-2012 10:41 AM

I love shoes! I miss wearing all the pretty shoes. I mostly wear flip flops and slippers now. On my good days, I can get away with wedges. They are more stable than heels. I have a few pair of wedges and love them but only where them when I am stable on my feet and am going somewhere.

Kitty 03-19-2012 10:44 AM

I can't wear flip flops....or anything that can potentially come off my foot. I do have a pair of Clark's slides and wear them around the house but they tend to make me even more unsteady. Keds and Grasshoppers are the only things I wear now. Guess it's a good thing 'cos I couldn't afford to buy shoes now like I used to.

agate 03-24-2012 11:49 AM

I can't say I miss the shoe scene. Shoes I liked tended not to fit well and caused blisters.

In my teen years I worked in a hospital giving EKGs to patients and I was struck by how many women's feet were deformed--probably from wearing shoes that pinched their feet. Often when I was tempted to get stylish shoes, I thought about those women and how I didn't want my toes to be all bunched over one another.

Since MS came along, I've stuck with only lightweight shoes. For many years my shoe wardrobe consisted of one pair of Keds (for outdoors) and a pair of slippers with flexible soles for indoor wear.

Diabetes came along, followed by a podiatrist. I was having back pain problems. They were mostly solved when I followed the podiatrist's advice and stopped wearing the Keds and the slippers and switched to "diabetic shoes" that give more support, especially for the arches.

The catch here is that it's hard to find these shoes in a lightweight type but I insist. If a shoe weighs more than 7 or 8 oz., I won't consider it.

I don't wear shoes out fast--one good thing about limited mobility. I now have 3 pairs of diabetic shoes, with "custom orthotics" (= pricey insoles) that I rotate. I've had two of those pairs of shoes for years, though the third pair is almost new. None of these shoes shows any signs of wear in the heel or sole.

Kitty 03-24-2012 11:55 AM

You know, it's kind of nice (in it's own way :rolleyes:) not to be so concerned and consumed by "being stylish" and "in style". I don't want to look frumpy but I do want to be comfortable....and safe. And being comfortable - and safe - trumps being fashionable now! :p I now look at shoes and clothing in a different light. :)

SallyC 03-24-2012 12:07 PM

I think almost all shoes look frumpy and weird now a days anyway, so I go barefoot. I wear my frumpy black easy spirit/whatever to the Docs/wherever..:D

And I agree with Kelly and others, it's nice not to have to worry about it. My DD keeps me as up to date as I care to be..

Kitty 03-24-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 863625)
I think almost all shoes look frumpy and weird now a days anyway, so I go barefoot. I wear my frumpy black easy spirit/whatever to the Docs/wherever..:D

I know!! :eek: Some of the styles that are advertised nowadays are just horrible! Plus, I do not see how anyone could walk in them. I don't feel so left out now....'cos I wouldn't wear what's "in" anyway!! :p

agate 03-24-2012 12:17 PM

I don't have much use for the whole fashion scene. Some of the shoe designers must hate women. I keep waiting for women to wise up and refuse to wear some of this stuff that we're being sold--at ridiculous prices.

There's nothing pretty about someone who trips and falls and goes splat on the sidewalk. Some women wearing shoes that hurt them are going around looking as if they're in acute pain. Nothing pretty about that either.

If you're comfortable in your shoes and clothes, you can smile. No one would even notice your shoes because your smile can be so dazzling.:)

Kitty 03-24-2012 12:23 PM

Agate, you are so right. :)

Now, try to remember what shoes someone was wearing the last time you saw them? Can't remember? Probably because nobody looks because nobody cares!! :p