NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Storm Etc Check In (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/257950-storm-etc-check.html)

Chemar 09-26-2022 05:28 PM

Storm Etc Check In

There's been a lot of stormy weather so here is a thread for members to check in from wherever in the World you may be after a weather event.

We are bracing for Hurricane Ian impacts - and I know many are still dealing with Hurricane Fiona's destruction

I hope NT members are OK :grouphug:

Lara 09-26-2022 07:44 PM

All fine here but I'd like to add that my thoughts are with you all who are dealing with these storms at the moment.

Keep safe everyone.

I read news about the Hurricanes up north there and in Puerto Rico. Unbelievable. Also in Pakistan and Japan and elsewhere.

Something is brewing here in north east Australia. You can feel it. We're just heading into our Cyclone/Hurricane season and we're in for the third La Nina in a row. We had La Nina conditions for the past two Summers which is really unusual and here we have another coming this summer. So many flooded from last Summer still haven't recovered. It's really terrible.

You keep safe there too Chemar. Thinking of you.

Lara 09-28-2022 04:52 AM

Looking at satellite right now that's one very scary looking hurricane. It's Cat 4 and the eye is huge. Pressure at 942 millibars. :eek:

I sure do hope you relocated Chemar and I hope others who live in that large area are safe. Very worrying. I look forward to when we hear that you're all doing alright. At least it's close to daylight again soon and it's not a full moon.

Lara 09-30-2022 01:35 AM

I see it's strengthened a bit again and now heading for South Carolina. I hope all our friends will be safe there, especially one particular family who live near the ocean and what looks to be right in the path.

A big virtual hug for Chemar too. ugh. Gosh, we're thinking of you in that mess.
:hug:

Chemar 10-01-2022 06:57 AM

We are safe but flooded with impassable roads- no power- thankful no damage other than lower back room where water entered- thankfully waters receded- our situation minor compared with the scale of devastation and loss😢
This storm harmed Cuba Florida and now Carolinas moving inland
Hope other NT members ok💜🙏🏻

Chemar 11-08-2022 09:43 AM

Just a month past Ian with many areas still waterlogged and swathes of damage and debris still piled up ....... and here comes Nicole :eek: :(

It's November when storm season usually winds down - but sea temps are way too high, so fuel for this very large storm.
Climate change in action.
Even the "experts & authorities" were caught off guard by the rapid appearance of this storm.

Say a prayer for Florida as it is forecast to zigzag through the state, impacting many - then Georgia, Carolinas and upward to ?

:Sinking:

Lara 11-08-2022 01:26 PM

Keep safe and strong there. This must be very unsettling for you and it's so late in the year as well.

:grouphug:

Lara 11-09-2022 02:00 PM

How's it going there Chemar?
This one is less intense than Ian by the look of it, but the ground would still be waterlogged and the mess not dried out.

I imagine there would be lots of mosquitoes around are there? Maybe it's cooler now and not too many hopefully. Need to be careful with these mozzies.

Thinking of you all.

Chemar 11-09-2022 08:44 PM

Expected overnight here as it makes landfall likely just N of West Palm Beach area as a Cat 1 Hurricane- already strong storm surge ahead of it. Then crossing NW toward Tampa and up into Georgia etc.
Problem is so many areas still waterlogged or damaged from Ian and so Nicole's 75+ mph winds with another potential 6+ inches of rain and surge coinciding with high tide - the coast is suffering.
Thankfully it is moving faster, so hopefully less flooding inland

Hope we keep power on!

Chemar 11-10-2022 10:29 AM

Still very very windy and rain squalls but we are safe and still have power. Should begin to improve now that eye has passed us.

Lara 12-13-2022 08:08 PM

I see bad weather over there. Snow storms, tornadoes etc..

I hope everyone is dealing well. If it's not drought, it's floods and if it's not snow, it's a heatwave.

It's a heatwave here and I'm melting.

I read in the news that down south here in Australia it's going to be cold and maybe some places will have snow for Christmas.

How nice for them.

Honestly, I feel as if anything above the Tropic of Capricorn just doesn't exist for journalists. It's been flooding terribly down south in Australia. Just shocking flooding on a massive proportion and so the news keeps saying it's going to stop raining in Australia and La Nina will go away. It's not raining in the tropics yet. No monsoon yet. The ground is dry. In fact, it's a long drawnout heatwave in the tropics. Night time temperatures are the same as day time temperatures. Bodies can't revitalise. Things are melting. The shampoo is hot. The ground water is even hot. I keep having to put water out for the birds and wildlife but I have to run the hose for 20 minutes before it's cool enough to put in the baths.

Well, take care everyone. I just had to vent a little about the weather. :o

Chemar 12-23-2022 02:29 PM

News reports for those experiencing the worst of this arctic "bomb cyclone" are indicating power loss in many areas now.
Thinking of everyone in extreme cold (and the animals too) as we prepare for our temps here in FL to fall below freezing overnight, with more of the same till Monday!
Even south Florida has a "falling Iguanas" alert!

Lara 12-23-2022 02:44 PM

Good grief. Keep warm. had a look at Oregon weather the other day and couldn't believe it. I was telling someone else here how I was over there in 98 at this same time of year and there was just a tiny dusting and how pretty it all was etc. etc.. Next day I saw how much snow had begun to fall. It was unreal. Only time I ever saw falling snow was that year. I hope our friend bizi is ok driving through all that on the holiday trip. Doesn't look safe enough. Yikes. :eek:

keep safe everyone. I feel for all of you with pain. I couldn't deal with it if cold. I wonder how the homeless survive. sigh

Jomar 12-23-2022 04:05 PM

In NW Oregon, pretty chilly, 27 degrees @ mid day...weird ice/snow mix making frozen layers of slippery stuff.
West of Portland we are getting less of the strong and very cold east winds this time.
Traffic is light, most are staying home since it looks to be only a 2-3 day event for here.
The Pacific coast effect moderates a bit for us compared to Central and Eastern USA.
That huge sag of extremely cold temps from Canada is crazy.. How much area it covers and the whole size of it .

agate 12-23-2022 04:24 PM

Also in NW Oregon and can only echo what Jomar said.

The building I'm in runs on electricity, and so it gets cold here pretty fast if the power fails. Yesterday the power went out twice--9 hours and then 3. It was a cold night for me, and now I'll be replacing quite a lot of food in my fridge because I understand it's not safe to keep some dairy items more than 4 hours unrefrigerated.

Nobody is going into or out of this building. I took a few looks at the parking lot/entrance area and see no vehicle tracks in the snow. Everyone is staying put.

I hope Instacart might be able to make it through by tomorrow afternoon so I can get replacement dairy items.

This building should have a backup generator but doesn't. It's a 4-story building, and there are people on the upper floors who can't use the stairs. Everyone here is a retiree, and there are over 60 of us, some people well over 90, some quite disabled.

The office is open only on weekdays during office hours. There's nobody from the staff here otherwise, but there's a number we can call in an emergency.

Lara 12-23-2022 06:54 PM

Take care there Agate. You don't want to have a fall again.
That's a lot of people and a worrying situation to have no back up generator for you all especially for the lifts. I hope someone else there is able bodied enough to get around and do some welfare checks. Keep warm. You're probably hurting.

agate 12-23-2022 09:29 PM

Thank you, Lara!

It was in December of last year that I had two falls, and my back hasn't been the same since. A person gets too busy sometimes in December, and I think that's why I had the falls. This year I've been trying to be more careful and do less.

Power outages make things dicier because it's hard to sleep when cold.

One woman here has a daughter staying with her, and that daughter very kindly put up a bulletin board notice offering to help anyone who can't manage the stairs during a power outage. That was so nice. People do tend to step up to the plate and help one another.:)

Chemar 12-24-2022 12:06 PM

I do hope your power comes back and stays on reliably agate.
Hopefully the cold may have kept most of the food safe?
That's so kind of that lady visiting her mom to offer help.

Knowing how cold we feel here today makes me really feel for those of you in the worst of this chill.
Stay safe everyone

agate 12-24-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 1302241)
I do hope your power comes back and stays on reliably agate.
Hopefully the cold may have kept most of the food safe?
That's so kind of that lady visiting her mom to offer help.

Knowing how cold we feel here today makes me really feel for those of you in the worst of this chill.
Stay safe everyone

About the food, I went looking for information on food storage during a power outage, and everywhere I looked (FDA, CDC, several health Websites) I was told sternly that many dairy products (and other foods--there's a long list) should be tossed out if a power outage lasts more than 4 hours. So I'm hoping to be able to replace my milk, cheese, yogurt and eggs very soon. Butter is OK, and the good news is that frozen food is good for 24-48 hours, depending on how full the freezer is.

This food I'm tossing out may be OK but the rule is: "When in doubt, throw it out."

Jomar 12-27-2022 05:05 PM

Well ifreezing ce and snow is gone away..
Now rain and wind storm . Some minor flooding in low areas, power was out but restored after a few hours for us .
Still gusty winds and quite heavy rain .

Chemar 12-27-2022 05:58 PM

Be safe there Jomar, thankful your power is back.
Hope Agate has power too.

We are still chilly here for FL but tomorrow should warm a bit and now they are forecasting some thunderstorms ahead of above average winter 80s here for New Year. How is that for a weather rollercoaster! Coldest consecutive days I have experienced in my many years here!

But oh my how I feel for the areas still dealing with what this winter storm has brought.
Hope NT members there are safe
Thinking of you too Lara and others dealing with Southern Hemi extremes as well

agate 12-27-2022 08:07 PM

Chemar, what is a "falling iguanas" alert? Do they freeze and fall off their perches?

Chemar 12-27-2022 10:06 PM

Yes, they do. The cold leaves them unable to grip. or even move.
Most recover once the weather warms. They can injure themselves, and people, in their falls...and because so many, in some areas, quite hazardous I am told.

Lara 12-27-2022 10:18 PM

Good to see you posted Agate and Jomar and Chemar.

Oh the poor little Iguanas. :(

I had to look up about the Iguanas after you posted the other day. I looked up some Florida news sites and it showed them falling and trying to turn over.

Your area would be full of tropical type flora too I suppose and that wouldn't deal well with such intense weather especially after all the flooding not long ago.

Heatwave passed in my area. They don't last so long. I'd rather be overheated for a week than deal with what you're all dealing with actually. Everything fine here although I feel it brewing and there's a monsoon trough looming up further north. I started stocking up on water yesterday. Get it delivered. If the pump goes out I have no water and I don't drink the ground water. Can't wait to move and have my own home again. If a cyclone heads my way, and it just may, I'm out of here somewhere, somehow. Not sure how really. As you know there's not much notice.

Photos I've seen in the news are horrific really. Some out of Buffalo. Just shocking :(

Hope everyone else is OK and doing the best they can. I'm not sure where a few regular posters here actually live. Hope they're safe.

Lara 01-17-2023 06:26 PM

Wet season has arrived.

640mm in 6 days. Just over 25 inches.
Some areas nearby have had over 1000mm (39inches) in 6 days.

Lara 04-02-2023 01:58 AM

Just a quick note to say I was very saddened to see such devastation from the tornadoes across the USA. I hope everyone we know is safe. It surely has been a very few years of weather catastrophes and odd events. Doesn't seem to be letting up.

Keep safe.

Lara 08-21-2023 04:22 PM

Everything's so different here now. I don't like the feeling.

Anyway, that aside, I am hoping that everyone, in all geographic zones, are safe and well. I read an article recently about our fires of 2019/2020. They were just as the pandemic began and the memories and assistance for that petered out. I read how they were so massive that the amount of ash that was spread triggered global temperature changes in the ocean which in turn lead us to have three La Nina (wet for us) events each year since. Now the tide is turning and the oceans are heating up again and we will have an El Nino event (hot, drought for us). Hopefully things will normalize soon, it's all freaking me out a bit. :confused:

I feel for everyone in situations that are so frightening especially with fires and floods and the dangers involved and the horrific clean ups ahead.

take care everyone. I miss seeing you around.

Lara 08-21-2023 04:28 PM

Hello agate, so good to see your thanks there. I hope you are doing well. :hug:

agate 08-21-2023 04:45 PM

Oh my, I don't visit here very often any more because it was just too sad to find no new posts.

Thank you for being here, Lara.

I'm doing all right but like you finding it hard to adjust to drastic changes in climate such as most of us are encountering. It was 108' here the other day, breaking yet another record.

But we're lucky not to have been badly affected by the wildfire season (yet) though the air hasn't been good. People losing their entire homes and everything they own in fires are so sad.
Or in floods. Or in hurricanes or tornadoes.

Lara 08-21-2023 06:20 PM

I pop by everyday I can to check. If you ever need to chat do it here or in pm or wherever you want it doesn't matter.

I've had a tough few months with a problem showing up on my last 3 monthly PET/CT but after MUCH ado it's all fixed and it was not melanoma so I'm very lucky. Everytime something like this happens I have another existential crisis mode set in until I know I'm ok. In the middle of all that i had a shocking fall but didn't break one single bone but shook me to the core for nearly 6 weeks. Anyway, I'm doing better now. I remember how badly your last fall was and I hope you're taking care there so it never happens again.

Terrible in Canada and Maui with fires. I've been up the Okanagan valley there. It was quite the paradise environment with lakes and grapes and happy looking place to live. I hope those fires are out soon as possible. Maui. Well, never would have expected that in my wildest imaginations. So sad

I live in a very hot area so it's basically hot all year. Last year I said I don't think I can live though another hot year like that again. I can imagine the imapact the heat would have on your MS. and I'm sorry. It's also so expensive to cool environments these days. Use every trick you can think of to keep your body cool enough Agate. We can't deal with 108f temps, it's brutal.

You take care there and keep in touch hey?

agate 08-21-2023 07:08 PM

Too bad about the fall! Falls are no easy thing, are they? We don't always just pick ourselves up and move on so easily. And you've been through quite a medical mill already, I'd say. So glad you got cleared on the melanoma question at least.

Lara 08-30-2023 10:04 PM

Dear Chemar,
I hope you're not flooded again? I hadn't looked at much news in the past few days because it's filled with distasteful politicking of late here and then I just read there was another freaky hurricane.
Hoping everyone else is alright in their areas. Never hear from wren or kit lately either. Also wondered about Jomar and if the rain made it up your way. Hope you're doing alright too Twinks.

I hope you all get some calm weather soon. You're heading to Autumn/Fall next month. For us the opposite of course. It's September the 1st tomorrow in Australia and technically that's Spring for us. Where I am we had no winter at all this year. It's frightening really. They're harvesting cane all around me again already and snakes are here again. It only seems as if it was a month or two that i didn't see a snake. Caught one warming itself or shedding its skin on the hot water heater under the house yesterday. Frightened the living daylights out of me even though I could see it was not a venomous one or dangerous to humans. It was however a good 6 FOOT LONG. Still, I can't deal with it anymore. I'm so over it. :eek:

Sorry about the vent...

Jomar 08-30-2023 10:47 PM

Weather is fairly normal here.
Has been a long dry spell, but only a few 4 day heat waves. So that is fine
Might start to get measurable rain this week and temps around 70F.

Lara 08-30-2023 11:17 PM

Good to hear from you.
take care