NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Books, Movies, Music and TV Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/books-movies-music-and-tv-talk/)
-   -   Movies: Top five favourite films (https://www.neurotalk.org/books-movies-music-and-tv-talk/209254-top-five-favourite-films.html)

Andy_Pablo 09-09-2014 08:08 PM

Top five favourite films

Top five films

1- 'Waltz With Bashir'. A subtitled film about memory repression after the Lebanon war. It is Beautiful but harrowing. Amazing film.

2- 'Donnie Darko'. Complicated film that encourages individual interpretation about the events as they unfold. Some fantastic visual metaphors in it.

3- 'Any Given Sunday'. As a College Football & NFL fan, a film with such fantastic cinematography, is a must to see. Not all about the game either & some good performances.

4- 'Watchmen'. I have read the graphic novel & I have to say, how I imagined one of the first scenes with the button to go, is exactly how it happened.

5- 'Sin City'. Purely for the fact that it is visually stunning. Love a bit of 'film noir' effect & with a very subtle use of colour, it really is an aesthetic pleasure.

anon1028 09-09-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_Pablo (Post 1095347)
Top five films

1- 'Waltz With Bashir'. A subtitled film about memory repression after the Lebanon war. It is Beautiful but harrowing. Amazing film.

2- 'Donnie Darko'. Complicated film that encourages individual interpretation about the events as they unfold. Some fantastic visual metaphors in it.

3- 'Any Given Sunday'. As a College Football & NFL fan, a film with such fantastic cinematography, is a must to see. Not all about the game either & some good performances.

4- 'Watchmen'. I have read the graphic novel & I have to say, how I imagined one of the first scenes with the button to go, is exactly how it happened.

5- 'Sin City'. Purely for the fact that it is visually stunning. Love a bit of 'film noir' effect & with a very subtle use of colour, it really is an aesthetic pleasure.

Any Given Sunday was very good. Donnie Darko I read the spoiler to, still might watch. Sin City was great, Missed the most recent one because speakers at theatre blew out lol. Figures, the one time I leave the house in weeks Watchmen never heard of. Will have to look up.

My five,
The Godfather I
The Godfather II
Goodfellas
A Steetcar Names Desire
Citizen Kane, Jane Eyre, and All about Eve lol couldn't decide

Andy_Pablo 09-10-2014 03:17 AM

All excellent choices sir...

KnowNothingJon 10-07-2014 04:12 PM

A few favorites-

V is for Vendetta- striking how close fiction can be to truth's edge

The Empire Strikes Back- 8 year old KNJ learns the good guys don't always win and also how horrific paternity reveals can be long before Maury Povich made it a money maker

The Princess Bride- One of the great movies of the 80s

Cloud Atlas- it just resonated with me in every way it didn't for those who panned it

Pidge 02-21-2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowNothingJon (Post 1101754)
A few favorites-

V is for Vendetta- striking how close fiction can be to truth's edge

The Empire Strikes Back- 8 year old KNJ learns the good guys don't always win and also how horrific paternity reveals can be long before Maury Povich made it a money maker

The Princess Bride- One of the great movies of the 80s

Cloud Atlas- it just resonated with me in every way it didn't for those who panned it

1. Star Wars
2. The Abyss
3. Indiana Jones Movies
4. Back to the Future
5. Bourne Ultimatum

EnglishDave 02-22-2015 09:59 AM

All time favourite:
The Italian Job (original, not atrocious remake)

4 of many I will watch any time:
Heaven Can Wait (1978)
Star Wars (original trilogy as a marathon cheat)
Wargames
Trading Places.

Can you guess when I grew up?

Dave.

Lara 02-22-2015 02:14 PM

It's hard to pick only 5 favourites. Some movies I love just because of the costumes or the sets and not for any other reason.

Out of Africa
Gandhi
Dr Zhivago
Moulin Rouge
The Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen & Faye Dunaway one)
The Remains of the Day
Big Wednesday
Pearl Harbor
Rosemary's Baby *spooky but incredibly made.

I could go on, but that's more than 5 already. ;)

SkimbleShanks 03-05-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_Pablo (Post 1095347)
Top five films

1.EverAfter
2.Eddie And The Cruisers 2
3.Harry Potter
4.MASK ( With Cher)
5.Son In Law

bluesfan 03-05-2015 10:57 PM

Days of Heaven (with a young Richard Gere before he became a star and when he bothered to act well - some excellent cinematography)
Local Heroes
Charles et Lucie (French comedy)
Shawshank Redemption
The Run of the Country (Irish Comedy/Drama)

mrsD 03-06-2015 10:11 AM

My ultimate favorite movie is The Piano.

Second is Simon Birch

then Avatar,
The Jackson remake of King Kong.
and The Abyss.

Gunny Fitz 03-06-2015 10:48 AM

Rudy, rudy, rudy, rudy !!! :)

EnglishDave 03-06-2015 05:10 PM

I see! We all get on well here, but if we got together we wouldn't be able to decide which GENRE of film to watch, let alone a Title :D

Lara 03-06-2015 05:57 PM

We could have a really incredible movie marathon.
Lots of top 5 from other people are some of my favs too.
It's too difficult to only pick 5.

Andy_Pablo 06-28-2015 04:20 PM

Some interesting selections that I will keep an eye out for...

caroline2 06-28-2015 07:28 PM

So many, but the ones to come mind quickly are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Chocolat
MILK
Pretty Woman
Misery
Brokekback Mountain

Auntie Audrey 06-28-2015 10:03 PM

Off the top of my head:

Casablanca
The African Queen
The Music Man
Bringing Up Baby
The Pink Panther (all of them)
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (my nephews’ favorite when they were kids)

EnglishDave 06-29-2015 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1151446)
So many, but the ones to come mind quickly are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Chocolat
MILK
Pretty Woman
Misery
Brokekback Mountain

Well, Caroline,

I don't know MILK, but your other selections surprise me. A Stephen King Chiller and Pretty Woman and Brokeback both caused a stir on release.

I would have pegged you for sprawling Classics like Gone With The Wind. That's what I like about our Community, you can really get an insight on your fellow Members.

Dave.

Auntie Audrey 06-29-2015 09:37 AM

Hi English Dave, MILK is a biography of gay activist Harvey Milk as portrayed by Sean Penn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_(film)

caroline2 06-29-2015 11:34 AM

Dave, I'm an activist at heart and flaming liberal for the most part...life in Calif opened my soul and being. I've been here 50 yrs from the East and a totally changed person from my birth life. I was raised by a closed minded set of parents, SO.....I've worked long and hard to change my mind. It wasn't hard work, I just hung with people who helped me. It is freeing and liberating. And I wanted to CHANGE. I'm really not into the classics that much....

Also, when I found or it found me, probably mutual, Science of Mind teachings/principles changed my life...I learned to do my best to "walk in other's shoes" instead of being stuck in my own shoes..

Everyone counts, no matter...no one is better than anyone else. I could live in anger from my first teachers, my parents, but let it go as I've had a wonderful journey to get rid of my birth tapes. And open my mind to ALL.

I follow the laws but break some rules that hurt no one and do try to help others who are stuck in the "systems"... C

As for classics, I own a few CD's and one is Ladies In Lavender with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith...a dear movie. A modern day classic type movie.

EnglishDave 06-29-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Audrey (Post 1151546)
Hi English Dave, MILK is a biography of gay activist Harvey Milk as portrayed by Sean Penn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_(film)

Hi Auntie Audrey,

Yep, I looked it up. Reminds me somewhat of The Naked Civil Servant, John Hurt's portrayal of Quentin Crisp. A film which caused sit-in protest at my boarding school as the powers tried to bar us from watching it.

Dave.

Littlepaw 06-29-2015 10:10 PM

What a fun topic!

in no particular order...

The Intouchables - I would like to dance like Omar Sy
Amelie - and create mischief like she does
Forbidden Planet - and have a robot
Nacho Libre - and know characters as great as the extras
Pride and Prejudice - and what girl doesn't love, love, love Mr. Darcy?

Mari 06-30-2015 12:18 AM

Saw Moonstruck again recently on Netflix

Oh, Wow, Littlepaw. Another Jane Austen fan!

Saturday Night Fever -- The 6:00 p.m. dinner scene early in the movie reminds me of my family.
Raising Arizona -- Still a fun smart movie after all these years.
Moonstruck -- Great writing with good actors.
Witness -- The photography, the story line. . . Harrison Ford singing and dancing to "What a Wonderful World This Would Be."

Pulp Fiction -- I saw this as a Christian parable. My sis can quote lines from this and other films of Q. Tarrantino.
Pride and Prejudice -- Just as good as the book.
Gatsby -- In many ways better than the book. The music by Jay-Z is superb.
The Notebook -- Yes. I admit to being a Ryan Gosling fan.

------------

I liked Brokeback Mountain too.
I watched it on television years after it hit the theaters.
It has the devastating loneliness of writer Annie Proulx's other movie,
The Shipping News except that The Shipping News ends with some happiness.

I liked Any Given Sunday, especially for Al Pacino's lines like these
"On any given Sunday you're gonna win or you're gonna lose. The point is - can you win or lose like a man?"
and
"You find out that life is just a game of inches. . . .The inches we need are everywhere around us."

I went over my five. Sorry about that.

M

Andy_Pablo 06-30-2015 09:13 AM

Great quotes. Relative to more than just American football too...

caroline2 06-30-2015 12:28 PM

Oh yes, Moonstruck and The Notebook..

I forgot Forest Gump!!!!!!

Auntie Audrey 06-30-2015 07:56 PM

We get a lot of reruns of Forrest Gump on tv in our area. Life is like a box of chocolates ......:)

Here are two more that I really like:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre – a classic tale of friendship corrupted by greed, with Bogart turning out to be the bad guy in this one.

Addams Family Values – a really creative comedy, with little Wednesday Addams having most of the good lines.

KnowNothingJon 06-30-2015 08:14 PM

Saving Private Ryan- good films cause you to feel, in my mind. When Oppum didn't save Melsch and he gets stabbed by that German soldier near the end I felt violent and betrayed.

It passed, and there were certaiy many other moving scenes in the film, but the rage I felt at that moment = gripping storytelling to me.

janieg 07-03-2015 03:31 PM

In no particular order, and solely based on the fact that I still watch them whenever they're on despite the fact that I've seen them a jillion times already.

Saving Private Ryan
The Shawshank Redemption
Good Will Hunting
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (original)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

and I have break the rules and add ET as well.

Mari 07-17-2015 03:31 AM

Good Will Hunting -- oscar for screen play

OMG! I watch Good Will Hunting every two or three years because of the dialogue.

Three favorite scenes:
First One:
They buy fast food and then stop the car to pick a fight in a playground.
Casey Affleck: "We just seen the guy 15 minutes ago at the park. If we was gonna fight him, we should fight him then. We got snacks now. "

Second One:
Robin Williams and Matt Damon discuss in detail Game 6 of the 1975 World
Series of the Red Sox vs the Cincinnati Reds, a game that neither one had seen. Williams had tickets but missed the game:
Williams: "I just slid my ticket across the table, and I said, 'Sorry, guys; I gotta see about a girl.'"

Third Scene: Heartbreaking when Matt Afleck convinces Matt Damon to leave town to follow his future:
Matt Affleck: "Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way but, in 20 years if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house, watchin' the Patriots games, workin' construction, I'll kill ya."

Diandra 07-17-2015 07:02 AM

Room with a view
Favorite line....
Lucy Honeychurch:
" Mother doesn't like me playing Beethoven. She says I'm always peevish afterwards."

Heat
Very violent, not my style but watching a young Al Pacino play detective against Robert Deniro running his last crime before leaving his criminal life....a Robert Mann film,
is worth it

Traffic
Love Benicio Del Toro

Things we lost in the fire
...another Benicio Del Toro film

Out of Africa

KnowNothingJon....Princess Bride is also one of my all time favorites...thought I was the only adult who liked that film. I stole Westley's line "as you wish" and annoyed my friends and coworkers for weeks!

Great choices everyone....love this thread!
D.

KnowNothingJon 07-18-2015 04:25 PM

Diandra- RE: The Princess Bride- Inconceivable.

Diandra 07-20-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowNothingJon (Post 1155925)
Diandra- RE: The Princess Bride- Inconceivable.

OK Jon...we are going to make everyone crazy with Princess Bride quotes....

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

(Folks...indulge Jon and me...you have to watch the movie to know why that line is funny)

When I watched Mandy Patinkin on Homeland, that line just kept going through the back of my mind. I will forever see him as Montoya! It is also the first time I saw Robin Wright in anything.

I am so glad you reminded me of Princess bride...I have to find it somewhere and watch it yet again.

Littlepaw 07-20-2015 06:21 PM

I can't resist jumping in the Princess Bride theme...

"Dear God, what IS that thing!"

Did anyone else feel the ending where she jumps out the window and her gown is billowing evoked the final scene of Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast?

KnowNothingJon 07-21-2015 01:15 PM

I never picked up on that, however since this started (peripheral neuropathy being this) I smirk thinking of how often I blave when not wanting to talk about it. It especially comes up with weight loss. Oh how I wish it indicated I was feeling well, alas Fat Jon was like Fat Elvis, pretty happy by some accounts.

I also feel a lot like Wesley in the Humperdink stand off near the end, posturing at fine, ready to take a seat though.

It would take a miracle, indeed.