NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   What's on your plate? (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/183538-whats-plate.html)

Alffe 02-05-2013 10:12 AM

What's on your plate?

I heard on the news this morning that there is some discussion about Dr.s returning to making housecalls...reminded me of our pediatrican coming to our home armed with a scale and his little black bag...surely saved me, who didn't know how to drive yet, toting 4 kids on the bus! How things change...reminded me also of many years later taking a couple of our visiting grandchilden on the bus just because they had never ridden one. :D

Went out to fill the bird feeders this morning and loved seeing all the icicles on our house...I know I know..but I still enjoy them....I remember sucking on them as a child..these are too high to reach or I'd give it a try.

I enjoyed seeing the movie Lincoln so much it sent me to our bookcase that has some of my dads books in it...just starting Abraham Lincoln..The Prairie Years by Carl Sandburg and am already hooked!!

Heard some new stats about verteran suicides that I have to question..said the average age is 60....?????

I'm supposed to meet Barbo for lunch tomorrow...hope I can get out of our driveway! :grouphug:

What's on your plate???

Wren 02-05-2013 10:42 AM

After noon I'm going to a new pharmacy to TRY to get a "Brand Name Only. No generics" prescription filled. That's almost impossible.
And I'm waiting for a bird feed order to arrive. I finally found a online site that sells the Peanut Nuggets my woodpeckers want. I'm still looking for a place that sells mealworms for an affordable price. Buying this stuff online cost a fortune in shipping. Bird feeders are a joy but a costly one.
We have no snow ----- we need it for drought conditions but it's so miserable for driving.

Wren 02-05-2013 12:39 PM

My best friend just called me ........... her brother killed himself last night.
I told her I was sorry, that I'd be praying for her and her family, that I'd be beside her, that I'll be there with food when relatives started arriving. I'll start baking cookies this afternoon.
I can try so hard to help amd feel like I can't do a darn thing. There is no help, is there?

Wren 02-05-2013 12:42 PM

On this planet there aren't 4 people who know what happens around here ... there aren;t 2 that care and my closest one just lost her brother. aaggg

FeelinGoofy 02-05-2013 02:48 PM

so sorry wren.... :hug:

on my plate is trying to feel better.... sinus infection and bronchitis has knocked me down. i haven't felt this weak in a long time..

Mark56 02-05-2013 03:00 PM

The Plate

Hmmmm...........

Made decadent chocolate chip cookies the other night.....
they were on the plate............ until everyone ate them

Studying for a professional exam to extend my licensing..... going well it seems

Trying my best to do my best.............. and even offer help here because I care

Wishing we had something from whch icicles would be formed on our house, but the tiles are bare of moisture......... maybe should get the Christmas lights out again to inspire some smiles?

Waiting for our daughter to join me for eats for lunch in my office as she works on another floor in this building....:)

Reaching out to Wren, who has to feel the need for comfort right now. Prayers on the way:hug:

Wondering do I have to CLEAN THIS PLATE?????? or are leftovers OK?

:D:grouphug:

Lara 02-05-2013 03:18 PM

Wren, I'm very sorry. :hug: :(

Goofy, get better fast... go to the doctor!!! ;)

No one ever has to clean the plate in my home. I've always figured one eats what one can and if there's some that can't be eaten, then that's no bother at all.

Plate. Well, daughter's doing gluten free trial to try to see if it's gluten causing some problems she's having. Therefore... not much on her plate. LOL :eek:

I tried making a loaf of gluten free bread. Sheesh, was a shocker. Powdery white crumpet looking thing. yuk.

Summer rains still falling here. Gently this time. That'll happen until April. I love it, but it's probably hampering clean-up efforts in the disaster zones. The temperature has dropped a little as well which sure is a relief. My bones are tired from all the yard work and cleaning up after the deluge last week.

I notice that the word "vintage" has come to mean something entirely different from how I use it. I figure that I must be very, very ancient or something because items from the 60s and 70s and even the 80s are being called vintage. weird

;)

Alffe 02-05-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wren (Post 954440)
My best friend just called me ........... her brother killed himself last night.
I told her I was sorry, that I'd be praying for her and her family, that I'd be beside her, that I'll be there with food when relatives started arriving. I'll start baking cookies this afternoon.
I can try so hard to help amd feel like I can't do a darn thing. There is no help, is there?

You know that the most important thing you can do is encourage her to talk about it and your job is to LISTEN. It doesn't matter how often she repeats herself, and she will repeat herself, just listen. If you can get your arms around her that would also be good.

I know what you have meant to me all these years wren and we have never laid eyes on each other....real life warm hugs are the best medicine. :hug:

Alffe 02-05-2013 04:08 PM

Powdery white crumpet looking thing...what is a crumpet?? Like a scone??
Must look and see if I have a recipe for this.

Spent the afternoon making dog food....whole chicken in the crockpot w/carrotts, celery, green beans...as I've said before, we could eat her dog food. lol

Goofy...I told you to go to the doctor!! Mr.Alffe did not get over this until he did and I nursed him for weeks with over the counter meds, love, and b**ching. :cool:

Mark how nice to have your daughter in the building! :)

Burntmarshmallow 02-06-2013 11:12 AM

my plate is full of prayers for wren:hug: her friend:hug: and her friends family:hug:... and full of prayers for everyone here. :hug:

:smileypray::smileypray::smileypray::smileypray:

:grouphug:
PEACE
BMW

Mark56 02-06-2013 03:01 PM

Oh I like that...........

Please pass me a "plate of prayer" if you will? This is a nice table around which to sit.:grouphug:

Abbie 02-06-2013 06:03 PM

Before I forget.... here Mark, here is a plate of prayer. But there are many,many more scattered around should you need more.

My plate is filled with either a stomach bug or gallbladder problems.
Either way it's no fun!!!!!

I'm off to bed now...mostly just to lay not to sleep.

Hugs to all!!
Love you bunches!!!
Abbie

Mark56 02-06-2013 10:56 PM

I got it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbie (Post 954877)
Before I forget.... here Mark, here is a plate of prayer. But there are many,many more scattered around should you need more.

My plate is filled with either a stomach bug or gallbladder problems.
Either way it's no fun!!!!!

I'm off to bed now...mostly just to lay not to sleep.

Hugs to all!!
Love you bunches!!!
Abbie

Thank you so! Hope you had a decent rest laying down Abbie,
Prayin for ya too,:hug:

Lara 02-07-2013 02:59 PM

Abbie, get better really fast!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 954516)
Powdery white crumpet looking thing...what is a crumpet?? Like a scone??

No, a scone and a crumpet are different.

My gluten-free bread was flat and bubbly and weird like a giant crumpet lol. I probably could have described it better. The white powder on my bread probably looked more like an english muffin. :D

Crumpets
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/13124/crumpets

Homemade English Muffins
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1791...h-muffins.aspx

Buttermilk Scones
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19423/buttermilk+scones

hmmmm, 5.59am here. Must be breakfast time. Can't eat any of those things at the moment. drat!

Alffe 02-08-2013 05:23 AM

thank you Lara..might give the muffins a try but what is copha?

made sourdough bread yesterday (((moi)))

still shaking head over Calif. Excop-:(

Lara 02-08-2013 06:58 AM

copha

Alffe, I'd replace the copha with something else.

Copha is a solid coconut oil. 100% fat. 98% of that is saturated fat.

It's traditionally used here in things like chocolate crackles or white christmas treats because it's melted before mixing and then it solidifies when it goes cold.
I don't know why they have put the copha in the muffin recipe really because you're not actually trying to set rice bubbles as one would in choc crackles. Then again maybe it's the coconut that gives them their unique flavour. :confused:

For muffins I guess you could just use butter or marg or a pure organic virgin coconut oil or what you call "shortening". It's a 1/4 cup. I saw something called Dr. Schlinck's Palmin which is apparently the same as copha and maybe available in a good deli there, don't know. I wouldn't bother really.

Wren 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

I make an incredible, fantastic, wonderful ;) white fudge with unsweetened coconut MILK. But I've never heard of copha - or seen it in a store. It sounds good to me! I like anything coconut ..... I like anything fat.

Mark56 02-08-2013 10:01 AM

Copha..... Vegimite......

Things maybe available somewhere, not necessarily everywhere, and definitely not nowhere [had to throw in Nowhere as Pooh_AC of SCS fame hereabouts claims to be from Nowhere:)]. I had not heard of Copha either. Will have to take a look, as I also like coconut stuff. Been saving a single piece of coconut candy from Christmas until I just cannot wait any longer.... before eating it. Maybe today.

Vegimite.... learned about that one up close and personal. Not a favorite in our house [a friend from New Zealand thought we needed to know about it].

I tried making gluten free, egg free, banana bread for our daughter...... what a FLOP!!! It was awful, worse than scones, not even suitable as a doorstop as folks tend to use fruitcake....

Hi Alffe, yes the Calif cop issue is way awful and off of the rational meter.... but then awful things are happening all around this land.

Prayin for all,:hug:

Alffe 02-08-2013 10:11 AM

Hmmmmmmm...wren you told me about pure coconut oil which I got at Walmart and has now solidified. :o

Lara, I think buttter would be a wonderful substitute..like Julia Childs, I love butter!

Moi, on FB, wants me to try bagels from the same cookbook as the sourdough bread...but of course he changed their recipie...:D

On a serious note I was saddened to read about the Fashion student who leaped to her death from the Washington Bridge because she had been bullied. I didn't know that the Washington Bridge was a "popular" site...

We knew about the Golden Gate Bridge from the movie. ~sigh~

Hugs for the room...just been to the store for bread flower and sugar...I'll bet mine don't end up looking like Bagels! :rolleyes:

Burntmarshmallow 02-08-2013 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My plates if full of making cupcakes to sell at our cancer relay yard sale tomorrow. set up tonight and working it tomorrow. and also this picture.. for WREN a pair has come back to build nest on my porch this year .. 2 ed year they have come to same exact place. and with that WREN my prayers and healing thoughts to you and your Friend and family. And Abbie low pain and prayers...everyone the lurkers and those on the sidelines ... :hug::smileypray:
and i used my new box of note cards sent them out a couple days ago but did NOT have enough to finish my postie list soo mark pooh dmom and a couple others getting more note cards next week and mailing the rest. God Bless , be safe if your in the blizzard . Need to get working on my plate. and back to lurking.
the flip side isnt here yet.
PEACE
BMW

Mark56 02-08-2013 02:42 PM

Ohhhhh.....and

Dare I wonder at the protocol regading when we are to send the posties? I know this is not the wonder thread... but now I am stuck like a scratched record [dare I wonder whether anyone here knows what a scratched record may be?]:eek::)

Wren 02-08-2013 05:31 PM

Thank you BMW ---- I love all wrens ...... well, I love most birds.
Did I tell you that I;ve been trying to feed blue birds for 30 years and finally succeeded

Alffe 02-08-2013 05:35 PM

They don't eat in my yard wren but they do take baths.....I'm ready for the orioles to return. :hug:

Alffe 02-08-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark56 (Post 955476)
Dare I wonder at the protocol regading when we are to send the posties? I know this is not the wonder thread... but now I am stuck like a scratched record [dare I wonder whether anyone here knows what a scratched record may be?]:eek::)

LOL..I know I know. :D

Burntmarshmallow 02-08-2013 07:50 PM

BMW knows .... Anytime is the right time . Two af a time till the list is done or all at once ,half now half later ... thats why this is so fun . Peace

Alffe 02-11-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wren (Post 955527)
Thank you BMW ---- I love all wrens ...... well, I love most birds.
Did I tell you that I;ve been trying to feed blue birds for 30 years and finally succeeded

What do you feed the bluebirds?? (what's on their plate wren?) :hug:

I had a flicker on the suet cage this morning...surprised me because I thought they were ground feeders.

Wren 02-11-2013 05:31 PM

Blue birds -- some of the most beautiful, most magnificent, most wonderful creatures God made -- want insects.... they want worms... meal worms. My Walmart now has meal worms in their bird feeding dept. They're right at $7 for 7 oz...... worth ever cent.... er, ah, worth every dollar.
If your Walmart doesn't have them, look at this mail order site ...
http://www.duncraft.com/index/page/c...ategory_id/244
Their price is much higher and you have to add on shipping but they always have them.
That site, Duncraft, has wonderful, wonderful calendars for every month...
http://www.duncraft.com/Desktop-Calendar
The blue birds always come in as a small flock and it's a joy. My feeders are on the tiny deck on the back of my condo .... (just a few yards from the back of the condos on the next street) and just 6 feet from my glass doors. It's amazing what sort of birds I get here. And my cats love them as much as I do.
One big single gorgeous mocking bird spends his winters here. I always have downy and red belly woodpeckers ... ever so often a flicker.
Wanna' hear more?:o

Wren 02-11-2013 05:37 PM

Here I am again --- if you buy some Peanut Nuggets for the woodpeckers they will never want suet again. They all really love this stuff
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...onstraint=5428

Alffe 02-11-2013 05:42 PM

Ok, gonna look for Peanut nuggets at Walmart...but I make the suet at my feeders. :o Hope I don't feel rejected. lol
And what kind of feeder do you use for meal worms? :hug:

Wren 02-11-2013 06:51 PM

Walmart has little wooden feeders about hmmmmm 7 or 8" tall and 4" wide, two clear plastic sides about 5", with a wooden "lid" that lifts off so you can add the worms. I thought the blue birds had too much trouble to get a worm so I enlarged the lower openings --- easy for me since I have that scroll saw. Very expensive feeders - $5.97 each!! :winky:
For me they fell apart very quickly and the cord that secured the box came out within days. I bought new ones and secured everything with super glue and more nails.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennington...eeder/20713364

Abbie 02-11-2013 07:49 PM

Ultra Sound tomorrow.....possible gallbladder problems....this is for my GP.

EMG/NCV/BLE & CT Scan on Wednesday ....these are for my pain doctor.

I am NOT looking forward to any of this!

Sigh...
Abbie

Mark56 02-11-2013 10:14 PM

I so understand

Prayers for YOU! My plate is not too full to add this one.
:hug::grouphug:

Mark56 02-11-2013 10:16 PM

And what of......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wren (Post 956398)
Walmart has little wooden feeders about hmmmmm 7 or 8" tall and 4" wide, two clear plastic sides about 5", with a wooden "lid" that lifts off so you can add the worms. I thought the blue birds had too much trouble to get a worm so I enlarged the lower openings --- easy for me since I have that scroll saw. Very expensive feeders - $5.97 each!! :winky:
For me they fell apart very quickly and the cord that secured the box came out within days. I bought new ones and secured everything with super glue and more nails.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennington...eeder/20713364

The DUCT tape... I could take some from my plate to share!:hug:

Wren 02-12-2013 03:48 PM

Abbie - are you home yet? Any test results? We're all waiting/hoping to hear good results. :grouphug:

Alffe -- any new bird feed yet? I can't wait to hear that you have blue birds!

Mark --prayer wins ... we always are certain He is listening.

Abbie 02-12-2013 06:36 PM

No results yet...... The did an ultra sound of my gallbladder, kidneys, liver, and spleen.

Tomorrow is another round of tests..... I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THESE!!!!! I KNOW THEY WILL FLAIR MY RSD!!!!! Then I will have an hour drive home.....sigh....

I will let you know as soon as I know.
Hugs,
Abbie

Mark56 02-12-2013 10:58 PM

Prayin and Prayin

As the Lord is so aware....:hug:

FeelinGoofy 02-12-2013 11:56 PM

sometimes i wonder Wren :(

Abbie 02-13-2013 05:38 PM

Tests done!!

Results wont be known until the 27th.
I will share as soon as I am able.

Hugs to all.
Thank you for caring!!!!
Abbie

Mark56 02-15-2013 09:41 AM

As you await

As you await the test results Abbie may peace like a river flow over and around you so you may rest and abide in the knowledge we surround you

with

prayer

:smileypray: :hug: :grouphug:

Abbie 04-02-2013 09:29 PM

Remembering Ashley.

I made through the day!! Wasn't easy. We released smiley face balloons after we wrote notes to Ashley on each side.... just letting her know we love her and miss her.

Some of them looked like they were headed for the trees but all of a sudden the wind blew and the balloon was on a diffierent track. We all noticed that they disappeared from sight in the same area. If it's possible, we believe she got her balloons!!!

Her sister was there, a friend of hers and Ashley's, a family friend that I went to kindergarten with, and myself were there. We let go of the balloons and shared stories of Ashley....some I had forgotten. It was a beautiful day weather wise too!!!! No tears at the cemetary and only a few at home. I KNOW SHE LOVES ME AND MISSES ME TOO!!!!

Just wanted to share!!!
Love,
Abbie