NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   new weather thread #2 (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/189146-weather-thread-2-a.html)

bizi 05-28-2013 10:19 AM

new weather thread #2

starting a new weather thread #2. The other one took a long time to load said donna.

We took a nice hike around lake martin, only made it about 1/3 of the way around then turned back. It was warm and we had a good bit of shade but hubby still managed to get sunburned on the back of his neck.
It has been in the 80's here, rain off and on.
bizi

Dmom3005 05-28-2013 11:28 AM

:grouphug:Thanks Bizi

Rain and cool here. Really want some sunshine here.

Not sure if I'm going to get to take Will to practice tonight.

Darn weather.

Donna:hug:

Brokenfriend 05-28-2013 12:45 PM

It's 83 degrees here,and we have the 17 year cicadas singing like in a chorus. They are out from the far southern states,to the far northern states. They resemble someone calling"weeeee-whoe",or a steady"weeeee". Since I live way out in the country,they are quit loud here,but it's a peaceful sound. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 05-28-2013 02:02 PM

cicadas -- video of the bugs

Here is the sound of the 17-year cicadas. The chorus can be 90 to 100 decibels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QquuMDBToto
Billions of cicadas to emerge after 17-year absence

Mari

waves 05-28-2013 02:18 PM

yes. LOUD.

When I was little I lived in a place where these things were going full blast in summer - every summer. Sometimes the were really deafening.

Dmom3005 05-28-2013 07:41 PM

Okay, I finally got a humid evening. And a little warmer.

But I got hot finally. Wow,

I went to take Will to his baseball scrimmage.

And Derrick to help. Derrick got his run around in practicing.

We have a young boy that is in Will's class at school. And on Derrick's
track team. About 3 years I think older than Will.

Who doesn't like to leave Will alone. They have extra help. And someone
for each kid.

Well we had to switch Derrick and the girl that had Mitchell because it wasn't
working.

And then the girl that brought Mitchell had to do some trying.

I had also tried intervening too. Its just a hard one.

But at least Will with his new bat got a couple of hits tonight.

Donna:grouphug::hug:

Brokenfriend 05-28-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waves (Post 987430)
When I was little I lived in a place where these things were going full blast in summer - every summer. Sometimes the were really deafening.

Waves I know what you mean. I use to collect insects when I was growing up. Every summer there are the early summer ones that can get loud. There are also the end of the summer ones that go "Murr murr murr Murrrrrrrrr." Those are the biggest of the cicadas. There are large cicada killer wasps that hunt them. They are the big wasps with the yellow tails. I'll get off of this subject. It's possibly not pleasant to some people. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 05-28-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 987425)
Here is the sound of the 17-year cicadas. The chorus can be 90 to 100 decibels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QquuMDBToto
Billions of cicadas to emerge after 17-year absence

Mari

Mary. Thanks. That's exactly what they are. There are billions of them all around here,and where my sister lives. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 05-29-2013 10:04 AM

we have some frogs that are making noises around here, love that sound!
bizi

Brokenfriend 05-29-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 987598)
bizi

Me too. BF:hug::hug::hug:

waves 05-29-2013 10:52 AM

Froggies! Ribbett!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 987598)
bizi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 987609)
Me too. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Me three! :)

DiMarie 05-29-2013 12:44 PM

Yea! I put the airconditioner on, but am covered with a blanket in the recliner? I think it is still only 73* out, but it was muggy in here. Calling for high 80's and 90* the rest of the week until Sunday.

DiMarie 06-03-2013 01:35 AM

Okay No need for me to complain about the recent snow and frost last weekend, since midweek it's been at, near or over 90*'s.
I broke done and bought a portable air conditioner for the living room. Wow, did it help with my asthma flare. Really takes the humidity out of room. Bought it off HSN I think.
This week is going to be normal at 70's.

How terrible for Oklahoma residents, I was shocked watching them on TV Friday night. The loss and near loss of storm chasers was a traumatic loss for heir families and coworkers.
Di

Mari 06-03-2013 02:11 AM

Dear Di,

I think the best thing in the world is nice air conditioning. :)

M

Dmom3005 06-03-2013 01:06 PM

Yes it was awful for Oklahoma. And also the storm chasers families.

In my area of Indiana. It was confirmed there was a ES-0 tornado
touch down, about 5 miles from my house I believe it is.

We are all wondering why the alarms didn't go off.

Donna:hug::grouphug:

Mari 06-06-2013 03:26 AM

T.S. Andrea heading to hit north of Tampa

Hi,

Tropical Storm Andrea has been pounding us with rain here and we are under a tornado warning.

The storm is in the Gulf of Mexico -- mostly affecting the cities on the Florida Gulf Coast. . . .LOTS of rain and flooding . . .. 7-10 inches of rain (depending on how quickly it moves).

Stay safe.

Mari

bizi 06-06-2013 10:37 AM

OMG a tornado warning. so they are in the area?????
a watch is the conditions are ripe for a tornado.
bizi

waves 06-06-2013 11:47 AM

WATCH is the lower alert (conditions ripe).

Mari posted they were under WARNING. This means at least one tornado-like formation has already been seen or detected somehow.

Currently the area where I used to live and where my friends still live is under tornado WARNING. :(

I grew up with these things and I guess the watches and warnings would come and go so I am a bit desensitized to it. I am a little more sensitized now after seeing footage of the massive thing that whipped down on OK. I just about fell over backwards when I saw that thing. I could not believe my eyes.

waves

Mari 06-06-2013 01:45 PM

Hi,

Florida has more tornadoes than any other state:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...2-03-06?page=2
Quote:

"Several things contribute to there being a lot of tornadoes in Florida," says Dr. Forbes.
"It's surrounded by water so they can get tornadoes any month. Also, Florida is the thunderstorm capital of the United States. It has the most thunderstorms per square mile and some of those storms produce tornadoes."
Mari

Dmom3005 06-06-2013 04:09 PM

Yep, we see lots of warning and watches too.

We had a tornado touch down about 2 to 5 miles away from me the
same day as the 2nd Ok. tornado. It wasn't near as bad luckily.

It was a 0. But we want to know why we didn't get our warning sirens
to go off.

We had the pictures and video's going viral within 5 minutes. But no
sirens. It was really weird.

I have seen many in my day. Been through a few touch downs too.

Donna:hug::grouphug:

DiMarie 06-06-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 989822)
Hi,

Tropical Storm Andrea has been pounding us with rain here and we are under a tornado warning.

The storm is in the Gulf of Mexico -- mostly affecting the cities on the Florida Gulf Coast. . . .LOTS of rain and flooding . . .. 7-10 inches of rain (depending on how quickly it moves).

Stay safe.

Mari

Wow Mari, that is a huge amount of rain and no where to go. Do you flood, are you on an upper floor? Watch the roadways, very dangerous weather this year. Each year seems extremes, records brokers and huge tragedy's. the highest speeds and widest paths re order in Hesse storms.

Looks like east cast may again have the main path of hurricanes this year too.
Be safe everyone,

Brokenfriend 06-06-2013 07:02 PM

The path of that storm is unusual. It's coming up here from the Western coastal area near Cuba,and headed over Florida,and headed up the Atlantic coast.

The center of the Low pressure system is in the upper part of Florida right now at about 8 PM,and headed Northeast. I thought of Mari when this storm was headed toward Florida a day ago.

I hope that this isn't another weather trend. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 06-06-2013 10:16 PM

I hope everyone is safe and dry.
bizi

bizi 06-06-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 989941)
Hi,

Florida has more tornadoes than any other state:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...2-03-06?page=2

Mari

I did not know this.
I always think of florida as the sunny state.
bizi

Mari 06-07-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 990066)
I did not know this.
I always think of florida as the sunny state.
bizi

Hi, Bizi,

Florida is fourth in the amount of rain it gets -- right behind LA, MI, AL.

http://www.usa.com/rank/us--average-...state-rank.htm
Quote:

Rank Average Precipitation State / Population

1. 59.15 inches Louisiana / 4,533,372
2. 56.48 inches Mississippi / 2,967,297
3. 56.00 inches Alabama / 4,779,736
4. 54.73 inches Florida / 18,801,310
5. 51.85 inches Tennessee / 6,346,105
6. 50.33 inches Hawaii / 1,360,301

Storm Andrea crossed at Florida's big bend and is heading to Charleston S.C.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ast-coast?lite
Quote:

By later Friday, the storm was expected to affect major inland cities, including Washington and Philadelphia, bringing rain that could produce flooding, the National Weather Service said.

Heavily populated cities lie in the warning area that remains:
the Tampa Bay area and Jacksonville in Florida;
Charleston and tourist-packed Myrtle Beach in South Carolina;
Wilmington and the heavily visited Outer Banks in North Carolina;
and Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News, Va.

New York activated its flash flood plan — with possible alerts via mobile phone — and issued a hazardous travel advisory as moderate to heavy rain was expected through early Saturday.
Mari

DiMarie 06-07-2013 02:25 PM

Checking in on Steve to see if he is getting hit with the rain. My friend along VA coast is ready to build an Ark. I hope it's gone Monday past Phila, we are headed there on overnighter.

ginnie 06-07-2013 02:40 PM

Hi DiMarie

Lots of branches down, but no real damage on Anna Maria. Spent all morning picking up the yard. A few broken bushes and water in the street. Hope all is ok with you. ginnie

DiMarie 06-07-2013 09:52 PM

Oh Ginnie that is good to hear. Branches can be picked up, but flooding is scary. Glad you didn't have any more damage. The sat storms have come up the coast scary.

Mari 06-07-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 990244)
Lots of branches down, but no real damage on Anna Maria. Spent all morning picking up the yard. A few broken bushes and water in the street. Hope all is ok with you. ginnie

Hi, Ginnie,

That is good.
We are still getting rain from the storm and expect to get more on Saturday.
The rain has been coming doing in wild amounts . . .. one nearby city got 13 inches by 9:00 pm with more promised.

Mari

bizi 06-07-2013 11:35 PM

That would flood us for sure!
that is a lot of rain!!!!!!!!
sigh
hope everyone is safe.
bizi

Brokenfriend 06-08-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiMarie (Post 990242)
Checking in on Steve to see if he is getting hit with the rain. My friend along VA coast is ready to build an Ark. I hope it's gone Monday past Phila, we are headed there on overnighter.

Thank you Di. It's been raining for a couple of days,and I hope to see the sun soon. There was allot of rain,and large puddles in the yard. My NOAA Alert radio was beeping for quite awhile,with flood warnings.

I hope that you see the sun soon Di. BF:hug::hug::hug:

ginnie 06-08-2013 10:57 AM

Hi Mari

Yes, more rain today. We had a new sewer line put in a few years back. It has helped my corner not to flood. Seems to work pretty good. Hope you stay safe too as summer presents some issues doesn't it? xxginnie

Mari 06-08-2013 05:24 PM

Ginnie,
Yes! Having good drainage from the city is everything!

It appears that the rain from Storm Andrea is passed now.

Mari

Brokenfriend 06-08-2013 10:15 PM

The sun finally came out today. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 06-09-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 990616)
The sun finally came out today. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Steve,

And what a relief it was!!:)
'Glad to hear that you had nice weather.

Mari

DiMarie 06-10-2013 03:14 PM

After our week of 90* it creeps up to 70*. Now we are stuck in the rain band and 60*'s. I am glad I did not open the pool two weeks ago. I think it wouldn't hurt to fill the hot tub.
:cool:

waves 06-10-2013 03:55 PM

Wow Di.

I hope you do get to enjoy some summer temps later on, at least for a while... a taste of the season before it gets real cold again. :o

Here we are still waiting to see the temps hit the 80's which is pretty incredible. We've mostly been in the 60's which is verrrry cold for here this time of year. In fact, a significant portion of May was in the 50's and even colder at night.

I'm not actually complaining. Usually it gets hot (90's) and stays hot through September. Without AC, that is really awful and exhausting. Somewhat grateful to have been spared. Still running around the house with footies on lol.

Anyway it, should finally get up to the 80's in the next few days here too... we'll see.

waves

DiMarie 06-13-2013 12:18 AM

Waves, seems we are having similar weather lately.
Steve, hang on looks like. Bumpy ride along the east coats tomorrow. Be safe everyone in line of storms.
Di:grouphug:

Brokenfriend 06-13-2013 12:39 AM

Hey Di. Yes. We are suppose to get horatio wind gusts possibly,severe thunderstorms,and possible tornados. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 06-13-2013 06:06 AM

hope that you are safe and dry and that no tornadoes effect you.
bizi