NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Name for new puppy (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/3698-name-puppy.html)

jccgf 10-13-2006 04:03 PM

Name for new puppy

For the record, we think we've settled on a name for our new Wheaten Terrier pup due to arrive home just before Thanksgiving. But, I thought it would be fun to have a poll. I hope there are enough people here to have one....lol!

Cara

Jomar 10-13-2006 07:13 PM

I can't pick a name until I see a picture--LOL
I guess I would go with the benjamin james - cause I like to call my pets all kinds of nicknames.

jccgf 10-13-2006 07:39 PM

hope this works...

Curious 10-13-2006 08:16 PM

i voted for parker. :D

guess cuz there has already been a benji. too much to live up to. lol

Chemar 10-13-2006 09:31 PM

I like Merlin too but whatever that pupper gets for a name, I would call him a
so cute!!:D

hope you will show us a pic of your pup soon as he arrives Cara:)

jccgf 10-13-2006 10:23 PM

We thought Nova might not be too good.... because of "NO! NOVA!

Yep...boy dog this time around. We keep hearing their temperment is mellower, although our dear girl was a sweetheart. Just a little skitzy around company. They also say males bond better with females, and vice versa. Might be true, because our girl sure adored my husband.

Yes, it is an American coat.... light beige. They are darker as pups. "Mer"ry is a nickname for Merlin????

Of course there will be pictures! We saw the pups two weeks ago. They were only two weeks, eyes closed, and dark brown blobs. Not much to look at yet. They are an hour from home, but we are going to try to go back again before we bring him home.

Cara

mrsD 10-13-2006 10:46 PM

I am voting for Benjamin James and

the assorted nics.

I don't want to be a pet party pooper :p

But... I think it is important to live with the new pet for a while to see
what personality is present. Sometimes that really steers you to the
"right" name.

We have struggled as long as a week to get it comfortable.

And don't discount Harry... as it seems that is a common denominator here!;)
Harry short for Harrison, of course;)

annelb 10-14-2006 07:14 AM

I like Murry - cute name for a cute pup.

Of course since it is a WHEATen terrier you could name it Spelt or Triticale. ;)

I don't like Barney unless he is purple.
Anne

glenntaj 10-14-2006 07:27 AM

Yes, I'd been wondering about the irony--

--of Cara getting a WHEATen Terrier.

And I suppose the dog will like Milk (caesin?) Bones.

KimS 10-14-2006 08:37 AM

DO NOT call your dog BJ!!! :eek::eek:

Can you imagine being out in the park calling 'Beeeee Jaaaaaay! Beeeee Jaaaaaay!' (I don't personally mind it but there are some very rude people out there and kids... esp. 12 and up can be pretty rude to other 12 yr olds.)

I agree that Nova might be too confusing for the dog.

I like MrsD's thoughts about 'Harry'.

I also would probably go with what Anne said about waiting until the dog has lived with you for a while.

When we rescued our GS. He was about 6. We named him Sar, after the area he was picked up in. Later, we found he would sit, like a king at the top of the stairs and 'survey his kingdom'. Luckily we could just change his name to Czar so it still applied and didn't confuse him.

Our rottie rescue's name was "Rush" as in Mount Rushmore. But after spending a few days with us, we noticed that he just wasn't answering to it. We made a list of about 100 names, deleted the ones that each of us hated and ended up with three. We ended up not being able to decide and so called the dog by all three names... and he answered to George, so that was it. :cool:

It really seems like both names were out of our hands.:D

So, I didn't vote, but it was fun talking about it and telling the stories of our dog-naming-events. :)

Curious 10-14-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 25301)
the assorted nics.

I don't want to be a pet party pooper :p

But... I think it is important to live with the new pet for a while to see
what personality is present. Sometimes that really steers you to the
"right" name.

We have struggled as long as a week to get it comfortable.

And don't discount Harry... as it seems that is a common denominator here!;)
Harry short for Harrison, of course;)

well...somebody should have told my mom that when she had my brother. lol. named him. signed the birth certificate. got home...really really looked at him..and said...nope...he doesn't look like a _______. called him by his middle name his whole life.:cool:

jccgf 10-14-2006 12:56 PM

Thanks everyone.

Let's see. I really like Harry :D.

Anne, Spelt or Triticale would certainly be unique...lol.

We have been leaving it open....just have a definite favorite..well, a few favorites, but we will likely concede to whatever my daughter decides is her favorite. She has changed her mind once.

We like lots of nicknames. Ginger had tons...not all so glamorous (like poopers)...so we are definitely thinking of nicknames that might go with the names. Had not even thought about BJ :eek: ...and have to admit I had to really think about what was wrong with that....lol.

It is a little weird that we are getting a WHEATen terrier. I guess if you can't eat it, own one??? It was actually in the running the first time around, but the Golden won out.

Thanks for all the input... I'm having fun here.

Cara

annelb 10-14-2006 05:43 PM

I guess I am a bit dense. What is wrong with BJ?:confused: If it is bad, you can PM me with the answer.

Anne

I have been PM'ed - got it!

jccgf 10-15-2006 12:41 AM

haha... I was relaying this story over dinner tonight...we went out for my MIL 70th BD. Everyone except one sister in law got it. Like I said, it took me a while, but I'll pm you :o .

Cara

KimS 10-16-2006 09:50 AM

The first time I heard it, I didn't get it either. Someone had to explain it to me too. :o lol

However... I've never forgotten it!:eek::D

jccgf 10-22-2006 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Benjamin James has the lead in our home, too, but we will still feel it out for a few weeks after the pup comes home.

Here is a picture of Purple (rick rack) and Blue (rick rack). One or the other will be our pup!

Cara

mrsD 10-23-2006 05:30 AM

OH, how sweet...

really cute, they are!

It will be difficult to choose!

Silver Swan 10-23-2006 07:12 AM

Blue and Purple

Both puppies are just darling. I would find it hard to choose. Thanks for this day brightener.

Shirley H.

jccgf 10-23-2006 09:03 AM

I noticed very quickly after losing our golden retriever Ginger that my days weren't filled with smiles anymore. Of course, I missed her terribly which didn't help, but I also realized I used to SMILE and say hello each and every time she entered the room...even when she was an old dog slowly sauntering in.

Dogs make me smile!!! Some times I think I must have been a dog in a past life. I do like to go for car rides and look out the window;), and I just connect so deeply with them. I'm starting to really look forward to this next dog in my life...

I'm glad the pictures brightened your day. Check out the thread about Skidboot the dog!

Cara

Silverlady 10-23-2006 04:56 PM

None for me

Cara,
I took one look at those precious little faces and said "CHARLIE!!!" He's gotta be a Charlie. I am a real sucker for puppies. (Wonder why I've got three little ones?)

Billye

P.S. edited to add: Forgot to mention that Skidboot's a local celebrity. I've actually seen him perform.

jccgf 10-23-2006 05:18 PM

Oh...you are so lucky!! You KNOW Skidboot!

After seeing he's been on Letterman, Leno, and Oprah... I was surprised I hadn't heard of him...but then...I only rarely watch those shows...so...

Charlie..huh? I'll run that past my daughter. She is pretty set on Benjamin, but I think Charlie is a cute name! uh...I just shouted out to her "how about Charlie? Someone saw the picture and thought they looked like a Charlie".. She said, "oh...maybe". Somehow, I think she'll go back to Benjamin..but we are trying to keep it 'open'.

Cara

GUMBY 10-31-2006 12:27 AM

I have a wheaty, 12 years now. They are great dogs, loyal, playful. Mine is still peppy at 12 years. I am his care taker since my Dad passed. Great dogs. My Dad has him the way he is spoiled...Good luck, they are bright and easy to train. Enjoy and they are a beautiful looking dog.

jccgf 11-08-2006 10:13 PM

Thanks, Gumby! Sorry I didn't see this post until now. We have only 9 days left until our pup comes home! Thank you for such a positive picture!! I'll post some pictures when I have some.

Cara

GUMBY 11-12-2006 01:31 PM

I think you have 5 days left till the little guy comes home. Good luck and ENJOY him. They are so cute as pups. Mine looked like a little striped tiger. He then turned the beige, white, grey. Post pics when you can. They are great dogs, very loyal, faithful.Dogs are great, as my Dad would say, better than most people.We always had a dog. He will be a great joy for Thankgiving. Enjoy.

jccgf 11-13-2006 10:41 PM

Four days now :).

It has been a little bittersweet for me because I'm still sort of mourning the loss of our last dog..who was a wonderful Golden Retriever. But..I know the minute we bring this pup home, I will be in love again :). We do really miss having a dog in the house.

What I realized is that a dog gives me a reason to smile over and over all day long, each time they enter the room.

Cara