NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   tos surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/207673-tos-surgery.html)

16rhonda 08-03-2014 11:16 PM

tos surgery

Has anyone had worsening nerve pain n numb 6-7 mo postop tos surg w abnormal ncs of the Median, ulnar, radial sensory nerves?

kellysf 08-04-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16rhonda (Post 1087003)
Has anyone had worsening nerve pain n numb 6-7 mo postop tos surg w abnormal ncs of the Median, ulnar, radial sensory nerves?

I had worsening nerve pain and numbness 3 or 4 months after surgery, but I never had an NCS following surgery. I did have one before surgery but it was normal.

Eight 08-04-2014 08:37 PM

I had worse nerve pain following the pec minor release, but it is getting better. It is painful as it grows back is my understanding.

16rhonda 08-04-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellysf (Post 1087023)
I had worsening nerve pain and numbness 3 or 4 months after surgery, but I never had an NCS following surgery. I did have one before surgery but it was normal.

Hi Kelly, do u see a neurologists or a pain Dr.? Do u think u mite have scar tissue causing ur nerve p.? What does ur surgeon say? How long ago was ur surgery?

I was doing ok 6 mos postop. Thought I was ready to start doing 1 & 2 lb. Wts. Then woke one am w shooting pain from armpit down into fingers on the surgery side. Severe cramps in forearms n fingers comes on all of sudden just holding a plate or book in hands n picking up a pocketbook. Crazy!! I have sx of carpal for 2 yrs, cubital, radial tunnel syndrome for 8 yrs. n finally its showing abnormal on NCS! Drs are dumbfounded by all my Nerve comp.
Also have bilateral tarsal tunnel pain n sciatica.
Hope u can find some relief!

16rhonda 08-04-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eight (Post 1087213)
I had worse nerve pain following the pec minor release, but it is getting better. It is painful as it grows back is my understanding.

How many mos postop are u? What grows back? Dont understand?
Thanks Eight

kellysf 08-05-2014 02:04 PM

I had surgery nine years ago with Dr. Avery. I have scar tissue on my brachial plexus, shown by MRI 8 months after surgery. I now see a physiatrist -- physical medicine and rehab. I don't have any plans for further surgery though I am sometimes tempted as I continue to get worse.

Toronto,Canada 08-06-2014 10:51 PM

I had a partial right 1st rib resection May 2013, i'm still having issues with mine, it feels completely numb from my shoulder down (including my hand - with colour/temperature change). it was the same symptoms pre-surgery.

BUT... it could take up to 1-2 years for nerves to heal/regrow from an injury (or surgery).

everyone's body is different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16rhonda (Post 1087003)

Eight 08-07-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16rhonda (Post 1087247)
How many mos postop are u? What grows back? Dont understand?
Thanks Eight

8 months. The nerves grow bac at an inch a month. Measure the length of your arm. However many inches your arm is, it won't take longer than that.

It's painful because they misfire when growing back.

Jomar 08-07-2014 07:11 PM

I know the nerve grows back, and the rate it does..

but I just got to wondering...
The whole nerve doesn't have to grow back does it?

Wouldn't it be just the part that was damaged?:confused:

The rest of the nerve is still there right?

16rhonda 08-09-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eight (Post 1087868)
8 months. The nerves grow bac at an inch a month. Measure the length of your arm. However many inches your arm is, it won't take longer than that.

It's painful because they misfire when growing back.

My Dr never said anything about nerves growing back. Maybe that's why he said it takes a yr recovery. Idk but my arms are very long! I do know Dr said tos usually just affects the ulnar n. & antebrachial n., which was slowing on Ncs bf surgery.
I just think the Median & radial n. Compressions is compressed in the arms, which is showing on Ncs, not in BP or Cervical plexus. The Radial n. is rare. Just my luck!

I just had a steroid inject. In wrist for CT and pain is better, but whole hand is still very numb.
Take care

16rhonda 08-09-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1087875)
I know the nerve grows back, and the rate it does..

but I just got to wondering...
The whole nerve doesn't have to grow back does it?

Wouldn't it be just the part that was damaged?:confused:

The rest of the nerve is still there right?

Jo, that's a good point! Idk

16rhonda 08-09-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toronto,Canada (Post 1087717)
I had a partial right 1st rib resection May 2013, i'm still having issues with mine, it feels completely numb from my shoulder down (including my hand - with colour/temperature change). it was the same symptoms pre-surgery.

BUT... it could take up to 1-2 years for nerves to heal/regrow from an injury (or surgery).

everyone's body is different.

Sorry to hear this, feel better!
Rhonda

16rhonda 08-09-2014 11:33 AM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by kellysf (Post 1087362)
I had surgery nine years ago with Dr. Avery. I have scar tissue on my brachial plexus, shown by MRI 8 months after surgery. I now see a physiatrist -- physical medicine and rehab. I don't have any plans for further surgery though I am sometimes tempted as I continue to get worse.

Kelly, sorry to hear this! U should see a neurologist if u can, ur pain could be coming from somewhere else like ur C-spine or local nerve comp. in ur arm. Does ur physiatrist do ncs/emg tests, some do.
Feel better
Rhonda

kellysf 08-09-2014 02:22 PM

I was treated for many years by a neurologist, before and after surgery. I also had MRI of my c-spine, before and after surgery. I may have a compression of a nerve in my arm as well, but the problem is higher I think because I have pain from the top of my head to the bottom of my ribs. I have not had an NCS/EMG since early in this journey -- probably 10 or more years ago.

Take care,
Kelly

16rhonda 08-11-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellysf (Post 1088199)
I was treated for many years by a neurologist, before and after surgery. I also had MRI of my c-spine, before and after surgery. I may have a compression of a nerve in my arm as well, but the problem is higher I think because I have pain from the top of my head to the bottom of my ribs. I have not had an NCS/EMG since early in this journey -- probably 10 or more years ago.

Take care,
Kelly

Kelly, it can take at least 2 yrs sometimes longer for nerves to show abnormal on ncs/ emg 's. Mine did. U can also have a double crush, where the compression can be in neck/bp & in elbow or wrist. My tos surgeon said u can be more prone to compression in arm if u have comp. up above. Has Pec minor syndrome been ruled out? Rib pain is one of the sx. It affects the 3rd, 4 & 5th ribs. I have rib pain/soreness almost everyday, sometimes unbearably sore & burning. Sitting too long makes it worse. Crazy!!
I will be seeing my surgeon in Sept. for my 1 yr followup. Boy does time fly! I will? this Pec minor w him.
Sorry to hear u have been getting worse.

Donna4612 08-31-2014 11:17 AM

Nerve pain

Hi,
I Had a full 1st rib resection (full) April 2013 it helped with my symptoms but left me with alot of nerve damaged and i was told after ten months the nerves are done doing what they have to do so with that being said the nerves would not heal anymore and I just had a right Pectorails minor release 8-28-14 hoping this will help and to make sure i did not have another impingement because i was still having nerve firing in front chest that would go into back of right arm and up my chin.
I kept thinking it was going to get better but never did.
I had 6 or 7 Stellate Ganglion blocks done help for a very short time, a day or two then right back to square one. (It was a hit or miss) I felt i had no choice but to try everything and anything to help me and after this i can honestly say i have done everything possible to help me get better.
No drugs touch nerve pain and the ones they gave me to try would only make my head messed up. I got my injury back in March 2010. A very,very long road and afraid not done yet.

Kitt 08-31-2014 01:38 PM

Welcome Donna4612. :Wave-Hello:

Akash 08-31-2014 05:52 PM

InterX treatment

Hi all, I have been taking a lot of your advice & time for me to give something back in return.

Here is something which really worked for me - upto 2-3 months of pain relief after a week of treatment at one time. I'd rely on it more but the PTs & folks here are not too aware of how powerful it is & they dilute it with IFT & ultrasound (near worthless for TOS afaik)

I took it directly over my neck muscles & it really helped (in hindsight I should have realized I had TOS then).

http://www.interxtherapycenter.com/

Its basically a hand held "zapper" which acts like a powerful localized TENS. Hope for those of you in serious chronic pain & unable to take too much meds this works out.

16rhonda 09-01-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna4612 (Post 1093137)
Hi,
I Had a full 1st rib resection (full) April 2013 it helped with my symptoms but left me with alot of nerve damaged and i was told after ten months the nerves are done doing what they have to do so with that being said the nerves would not heal anymore and I just had a right Pectorails minor release 8-28-14 hoping this will help and to make sure i did not have another impingement because i was still having nerve firing in front chest that would go into back of right arm and up my chin.
I kept thinking it was going to get better but never did.
I had 6 or 7 Stellate Ganglion blocks done help for a very short time, a day or two then right back to square one. (It was a hit or miss) I felt i had no choice but to try everything and anything to help me and after this i can honestly say i have done everything possible to help me get better.
No drugs touch nerve pain and the ones they gave me to try would only make my head messed up. I got my injury back in March 2010. A very,very long road and afraid not done yet.

Hi, did u have a block or botox in the Pec minor muscle bf your Pec m surgery? Was this dx? I heard on here u can't lift your arm after this surgery. Is this true w u? How long is recovery supposed to be?
Curious who was your Dr? Was same Dr who did your tos surgery?
I have rib pain & outside armpit/shoulder/scapula soreness. Also pain & soreness going down back upper arm & forearm/hand. I have abnormal sensory in radial nerve on ncs, which I'm pretty sure starts in back of armpit & goes down back of arm.
Wondering why u only had rib removed not scalenes?
Did your surgeon say your nerves were damaged due to the surgery? Or just not healing?

Good luck with your recovery!!