NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   surgical removal of lower left 2nd molar,? sore (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/106084-surgical-removal-lower-left-2nd-molar-sore.html)

cvcman 10-19-2009 08:23 PM

surgical removal of lower left 2nd molar,? sore

Almost a month ago I had to have my 2nd molar removed by an oral surgeon due to a root crack. I had a real hard time dealing with this mentally but its done.

The socket is not closed up 100% but probably 95%. I was having trouble with my tounge twitching but that stopped about a week ago.

I have a small white sharp pc of bone or something on one side of the socket but that seems better too.

My ? is this, every once in awhile when biting on the 1st molar in front of the extracted 2nd molar it feels sore. I can eat pretzles etc no problems but something real firm like over cooked hard pasta in lasagana I will get a dull pain not a sharp nerve like pain more like pressure for a second.

Can this be due to me not eating on that side for the last 3 weeks or from the surgery of having the 2nd molar have to be cut out in pcs ??

I am scared to death that now I have another cracked tooth or something and I will loose this tooth.

The 1st molar has a very small cheak side filling but no top crown filling and I dont see any crack.

ewizabeth 10-19-2009 08:35 PM

Welcome to NT CVCMan. :) This is a great forum with lots of nice and caring members.

I hope you'll find the answer to your question soon and maybe even make some new friends in the process. Take care and feel better soon.

Bryanna 10-19-2009 10:05 PM

Hi cvcman,

It is not unusual for a tooth next to the extracted one to feel sore when chewing for the first 2-3 months after the surgery. The area has been traumatized by the surgery and also that tooth may have been used as an anchor to push up against with the surgical instrument when extracting the tooth behind it. So the soreness would be expected.

However, because it has been a month and there is still significant discomfort on that tooth when chewing hard things, it may be wise to not eat on it for a few more weeks if possible. The gum tissue may be closed over about 95% at this point but the jawbone will take several months to a year to fill in completely. So the surgical area still has a long way to go before it is healed.

If you develop a toothache in that first molar or if you are concerned that there may be a problem with it, then have your dentist take an xray to see if anything abnormal shows up. Chances are it is just tender from the surgery but to ease your mind, a quick visit to the dentist may be helpful to you.

Thanks for asking your question here..... hope my answer has been helpful to you! And welcome to our community...... please let us know how you are doing :)

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 580127)
Almost a month ago I had to have my 2nd molar removed by an oral surgeon due to a root crack. I had a real hard time dealing with this mentally but its done.

The socket is not closed up 100% but probably 95%. I was having trouble with my tounge twitching but that stopped about a week ago.

I have a small white sharp pc of bone or something on one side of the socket but that seems better too.

My ? is this, every once in awhile when biting on the 1st molar in front of the extracted 2nd molar it feels sore. I can eat pretzles etc no problems but something real firm like over cooked hard pasta in lasagana I will get a dull pain not a sharp nerve like pain more like pressure for a second.

Can this be due to me not eating on that side for the last 3 weeks or from the surgery of having the 2nd molar have to be cut out in pcs ??

I am scared to death that now I have another cracked tooth or something and I will loose this tooth.

The 1st molar has a very small cheak side filling but no top crown filling and I dont see any crack.

cvcman 10-20-2009 06:59 AM

Thank you, I sure hope you are right I sure do NOT want any other problems with the teeth !

Again its not a sharp pain but rather a firm pressure feeling with certin foods, pretzles are ok more like oatmeal pcs that are hard/firm etc. and then only sometimes.

I do grind and have been back to wearing a mouth guard. I stated that I was having tounge twitching probles that went away, now my left lower eyelid is twitching, related ??? Not constant..

Bryanna what is your med background ??

Thanks

mrsD 10-20-2009 07:28 AM

There can be alot of referred pain in the mouth.

I just had a root canal yesterday, on an upper bicuspid, and my whole jaw hurts today on that side! (probably from keeping it open during the drilling etc). The gum where the anesthetic shots were done, also still hurts, but the vague pain over the broken tooth in the cheek is gone. I have a temp on it now, and go back in 2 weeks for the impressions for the crown.

I have had crowns that took several months to settle down (not all of them tho). Only 3 of my crowns have root canals.

My dentist tells me it is "referred" pain...and may be due to
deep tissue damage, or inflammation. He said there are proprioceptive nerves in the gum, and these may be irritated for a while. My first root canal took several months to stop hurting.(that tooth had been dying for several years due to another dentist's error in filling it too deeply). I have learned to be patient with tooth pain after procedures, because of that experience.

I use Aleve liquigels for the pain, and they works very well. The liquigels seem more effective than the tablets for some reason.
I learned that with my arthritis issues. I guess they are absorbed better and faster.

cvcman 10-20-2009 01:07 PM

Again, NO pain in tooth ony a pressure like dull pain if you will when biting certin things a certin way, not a sharp nerve like pain.

Otherwise tooth feels normal

Bryanna 10-20-2009 04:05 PM

Hi cvcman,

A dull pressure pain in that tooth may be from chewing on it without the support of the tooth behind it. In other words, this tooth is taking the brunt of your chewing with the other tooth gone. The area is still healing and the more you chew there, the more trauma you may be causing. It's like having a broken arm but still using it. The jawbone is (for lack of a better description) like a broken bone. There is a void/hole in the jawbone where the roots of the tooth use to be. The gum tissue closes long before the bone fills in. The hole in the bone takes several months to a year to fill in with new bone.

If the tooth continues to be uncomfortable even without chewing on it, then have the dentist take an xray of it.

To answer your other post......
I am a chairside dental assistant and dental radiographer. I've been in dentistry for 30+ years.......

Let us know if you have more questions...... :)

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 580408)
Again, NO pain in tooth ony a pressure like dull pain if you will when biting certin things a certin way, not a sharp nerve like pain.

Otherwise tooth feels normal

cvcman 10-20-2009 04:16 PM

Bryanna,

Thank you. again there is ZERO pain and ZERO discomfort in the tooth when not biting on it and even when crunching a hard Dutch pretzle it seems of unless you wedge a hard pc of salt between the 1st molar and the tooth in front of it.

Only a very slight dull pressure SOMETIMES when biting something very firm like the hardened Lasagana and then only sometimes,otherwise you would never know the tooth is there.

I still feel slight pings of pain from the extraction hole.

Here are my ?'s

1) you feel then that it probably isnt a crack its more just needs to settle ?

again I see no signs of a crack in the crown and there is only a very small cheek side filling nothing in the crown.

2) the tounge twitching went away completly and it was happening everyday but now the eye on that side is twitching, related ??

3) should I try not to eat on that side at all and if so for how long ??

Thanks so much I am so gun shy now every little ping is going to send me to the Pshy ward,lol

cvcman 10-20-2009 04:22 PM

Opps also should I keep doing the salt rinse and if so for how long ??

Thx

cvcman 10-20-2009 04:48 PM

opps again, also what do I do about those white kinda sharp edges by the socket. They dont bother me just curious

Bryanna 10-20-2009 07:01 PM

Hi cvcman,

You're welcome...... hope to be helpful as much as I can be ;)

I understand you are having NO pain or discomfort in that tooth without aggravating it with some hard piece of food that gets in between the teeth. However, it is not a good idea to eat anything hard or chewy directly on that tooth until the area heals more thoroughly from the extraction. The surgical procedure itself and the hole in the bone (the socket) from the roots of the extracted tooth cause a weakness and inflammation in the surrounding jawbone in that area. Just like a break in an arm would cause the same situation in the area near the break. Avoiding any further trauma to that area would be wise. Wait a couple of months before you eat anything hard on that side and if it still feels abnormal but you have no other pain, then avoid eating hard things on that side for awhile longer. It's hard to tell how long exactly. You have to be the judge of that.

Do you plan on replacing the missing tooth with an implant or a bridge?

It is normal to feel pings of pain in the surgical area as it is healing. Do not worry about that.

The tongue twitching could have been caused by several things. It's good that it subsided. The eye twitching may be a nervous tic or something else. Here is an informative website on that...
http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...-twitching.htm

I would avoid eating anything hard or chewy on the affected side for another month or so. Soft foods should be fine. You have to be the judge as to how it feels ..... if it feels abnormal, don't do it :)

The sharp edges at the extraction site could be bony spurs that are basically bone splinters. These sometimes work themselves out of the gum on their own, other times they have to be removed. MOST of the time bone spurs are no big deal to remove because they are so very close to the surface. It could also be a rough edge on the socket which sometimes heals on it's own and other times it doesn't. If these areas become a nuisance, then see your dentist to evaluate them.

The salt water rinsing is imperative the first 4-6 weeks post op the extraction. Once the gum tissue has closed over completely, you can stop the rinsing.

I hope this has been helpful to you........ please feel free to ask what's on you mind!

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 580472)
Bryanna,

Thank you. again there is ZERO pain and ZERO discomfort in the tooth when not biting on it and even when crunching a hard Dutch pretzle it seems of unless you wedge a hard pc of salt between the 1st molar and the tooth in front of it.

Only a very slight dull pressure SOMETIMES when biting something very firm like the hardened Lasagana and then only sometimes,otherwise you would never know the tooth is there.

I still feel slight pings of pain from the extraction hole.

Here are my ?'s

1) you feel then that it probably isnt a crack its more just needs to settle ?

again I see no signs of a crack in the crown and there is only a very small cheek side filling nothing in the crown.

2) the tounge twitching went away completly and it was happening everyday but now the eye on that side is twitching, related ??

3) should I try not to eat on that side at all and if so for how long ??

Thanks so much I am so gun shy now every little ping is going to send me to the Pshy ward,lol

cvcman 10-20-2009 07:17 PM

Well the dentist said I couldnt do an implant due to closness of nerve and curve of jaw etc. I am also missing 1st lower molar on the right side due to a hole in the root below the gum and extraction 20 plus yrs ago, doesnt bother me.

I asked about a bridge and he cringed, said do nothing or do an implant. I have read SOME horror stories on implants. I sure hope i dont loose any more,lol

I am 50 yrs old non smoker but do grind, again im wearing my mouth guard again.

The 2nd molar I had removed had a big filling that was a silver then replaced with a white one about 10 yrsa ago. Crack went into root, OUCH !

There is still a slight open gap in the socket so maybe I should keep using the salt.

You honestlly think I will be ok and its not a crack ?? Again I can clearly see he whole crown as there is no filling and I see no signs of a crack unless its just in the root.

Thanks again

Bryanna 10-20-2009 10:09 PM

Hi cvcman,

I think you should avoid over chewing on that tooth for awhile longer and see how it feels. Also it will not hurt to continue rinsing with the warm salt water until the gum closes completely.

The tooth can be cracked (fractured) below the gumline and you wouldn't see that by looking in the mirror. Sometimes these fractures show on an xray and sometimes they don't. But at this point, it just may be a tender tooth from the surgery and from chewing hard foods on it......so just let it rest a bit.

Try not to worry....... take one day at a time and try to be aware of what you are eating so you can avoid aggravating it.

Let us know if you need to talk about it some more...... perfectly ok if you do!

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 580559)
Well the dentist said I couldnt do an implant due to closness of nerve and curve of jaw etc. I am also missing 1st lower molar on the right side due to a hole in the root below the gum and extraction 20 plus yrs ago, doesnt bother me.

I asked about a bridge and he cringed, said do nothing or do an implant. I have read SOME horror stories on implants. I sure hope i dont loose any more,lol

I am 50 yrs old non smoker but do grind, again im wearing my mouth guard again.

The 2nd molar I had removed had a big filling that was a silver then replaced with a white one about 10 yrsa ago. Crack went into root, OUCH !

There is still a slight open gap in the socket so maybe I should keep using the salt.

You honestlly think I will be ok and its not a crack ?? Again I can clearly see he whole crown as there is no filling and I see no signs of a crack unless its just in the root.

Thanks again

cvcman 10-21-2009 02:05 PM

Bryanna, not too likely thats its a crack though right ?? Seing as how there is no major work done to the tooth, Also it isnt a sharp nerve like pain.

If and believe me I hope NOT it is a crack under the gum how would they know for sure ?? If so that would mean another extraction ???

Man Im not feeling good about this

I ate chicken/shrim on it today and no problem. When my other tooth was cracked I could NOT eat pretzles ar anything even close to that.

I understand my other tooth cracking due to the large filling etc but why would a good molar carck.....????

I really hope its ok..:(

cvcman 10-21-2009 02:19 PM

Oh also, do you agree with not using an implant ?? Also is there a bridge that can go there ?? There is NO tooth behind it wisdom never came in.

I also am missing 1st lower molar on the right side , what would be best to do there ?? Its been gone 20 years and NO problem

Bryanna 10-21-2009 07:33 PM

Hi cvcman,

I have no idea if your tooth is cracked or not. I just think it's wise to avoid aggravating it by eating hard or chewy foods on it. A tooth does not have to have a large filling to end up with a crack or fracture. Biting down on hard crunchy food can crack a tooth or a misaligned bite can cause tooth fractures because certain teeth are hitting against each other in an abnormal pattern. Our teeth are designed to be in a row with other teeth so there is even pressure on most or all of them as we chew. Most of the time when there is a tooth missing, the bite becomes misaligned. This does NOT mean that you are going to fracture your teeth because you have some missing. It just means that your bite is not exactly lined up as it was intended to be and you should be cautious about chewing hard things on the teeth that "stand alone" next to an empty space where a tooth use to be.

A tooth can be fractured any place on the tooth, above or below the gumline. Sometimes the crack is microscopic and very hard to detect. Other times it can be picked up on an xray. Depending on how deep the crack is, determines the course of treatment. Sometimes nothing needs to be done.... you just have to be careful not to make it worse by eating hard crunchy foods on it.

I think you are worrying yourself for nothing. If the tooth is comfortable when chewing normally on it, then just continue to do that and see what happens.

Please don't dwell on this tooth ...... it will let you know if there is a problem and if there isn't..... you've just saved yourself alot of unnecessary concern!

Re the implant.......if the surgeon says there is not enough bone for the implant then don't even consider doing it. You are not a candidate for a bridge because there is no back tooth to anchor it to. If you want to replace both of your missing lower teeth, talk to your dentist about a partial denture.

Hope this helps..............:)

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 580889)
Bryanna, not too likely thats its a crack though right ?? Seing as how there is no major work done to the tooth, Also it isnt a sharp nerve like pain.

If and believe me I hope NOT it is a crack under the gum how would they know for sure ?? If so that would mean another extraction ???

Man Im not feeling good about this

I ate chicken/shrim on it today and no problem. When my other tooth was cracked I could NOT eat pretzles ar anything even close to that.

I understand my other tooth cracking due to the large filling etc but why would a good molar carck.....????

I really hope its ok..:(

cvcman 10-21-2009 07:52 PM

Bryanna, I can tell you I had NO trouble with this tooth before the extraction, so my worry is did the oral surgeon crak it by prying on it ??

I asked her if she had to do that and she said NO she sectioned and the tooth came out n pcs, I figured she would say that anyway LOL

I am sorry to be absessing its just I do NOT want anymore problems, again I eat a pretzle and no prob and if I did that on the one they extracted I would have that nerve pain big time.

If she did crack it by prying wouldnt it be more likely it would crack the crown not just the root ??

Aren't most rooth cracks in endo treated teeth or teeth with big resto's ??

I worry terrible about my teeth as I do NOT want to loose anymore. If I did a partial which I asked him about and he said " thats a lot of hardware in your mouth for 2 teeth "

As far as an implant for the 1st molar on the other side whats you feeling on that as far as complications, pain doing it etc ??

I wonder how many dentists and dental assts are missing molars ??:confused:

Thank you

cvcman 10-22-2009 08:36 PM

Bryanna where did ya go ?? Hope I didn't scare you away with my OCD:hug:

Bryanna 10-22-2009 10:49 PM

Hi cvcman,

Anytime a tooth is extracted the teeth on either side of the extracted one become vulnerable due to the lack of teeth to chew on. As I've said before, teeth are designed to line up in a row next to each other as a group, each tooth shares the burden of chewing food. When a tooth is missing in between 2 other teeth, those two remaining teeth are taking the force of chewing without that middle tooth for support. This puts abnormal pressure on these two teeth making them vulnerable to fracture. Whether or not this tooth was disturbed during the extraction may or may not be a factor in why it feels the way it does.

Teeth that have been root canaled are more prone to fracture compared to teeth that are healthy because a root canal procedure cuts the nerves that use to supply the tooth with blood/nutrition. Without blood/nutrition the tooth becomes decrepit just like any other part of the body. A root canaled tooth is also prone to fracture because during the procedure, the walls of the large canals are reemed (scraped) abrasively causing microscopic cracks inside the canals causing the tooth to be an ideal candidate for overgrowth of bacteria. The bacteria causes chronic inflammation.....etc.

Teeth with fillings are also more prone to fracture compared to unrestored teeth because any size filling causes a weakness in the anatomy of the tooth. The larger the filling the weaker the tooth.

Partial dentures can take the place of one or more teeth in an arch. They can be made very minimally without alot of hardware when replacing 2 teeth.

Dental implants require healthy, adequate jawbone or they will fail. Post operative pain from implant surgery depends on many factors and it differs from one person to another.

To answer you question about dentists and assistants missing molars.... MANY of us are missing molars. We all have been patients all of our lives and most of us do not have perfect mouths.

Your ocd has not scared me away. I don't have access to a personal computer during the day while at work. Also, I just think I am repeating myself at this point. But if you have other concerns, please feel free to ask for help!

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 581025)
Bryanna, I can tell you I had NO trouble with this tooth before the extraction, so my worry is did the oral surgeon crak it by prying on it ??

I asked her if she had to do that and she said NO she sectioned and the tooth came out n pcs, I figured she would say that anyway LOL

I am sorry to be absessing its just I do NOT want anymore problems, again I eat a pretzle and no prob and if I did that on the one they extracted I would have that nerve pain big time.

If she did crack it by prying wouldnt it be more likely it would crack the crown not just the root ??

Aren't most rooth cracks in endo treated teeth or teeth with big resto's ??

I worry terrible about my teeth as I do NOT want to loose anymore. If I did a partial which I asked him about and he said " thats a lot of hardware in your mouth for 2 teeth "

As far as an implant for the 1st molar on the other side whats you feeling on that as far as complications, pain doing it etc ??

I wonder how many dentists and dental assts are missing molars ??:confused:

Thank you

cvcman 10-23-2009 09:03 AM

Branna, thanks AGAIN ! I sure hope im NOT dealing with another crack im not sure I can handle it,lol

Its weird because when my 2nd was cracked I could not bite anything like pretzles etc, this one doesnt have the sharp pain or Zing and its stuff more like pickles,oatmeal, not pretzles.

I really dont want to go back and have them start digging and hitting the tooth etc, I am very gunshy at this point to say the least. So you really dont think they broke it by prying on it to pull the tooth behind it ??

If so would they admit it ?? If you were me would you wait it out a while longer or go back and start the search now ?

Again never a problem before pulling the 2nd molar and I really havent bitten anything hard to break it myself and I am wearing my mouth guard every night ??

Thanks for your understanding

Bryanna 10-23-2009 10:29 AM

Hi cvcman,

Have a moment to peak in on this site........

The tooth can be in an aggravated state from the surgery, which temporarily disrupts that entire area of the jawbone, and/or from chewing on it while it's in this aggravated/vulnerable state.

If it were me, I would not chew on it for a few days and then chew something soft on it and see if it feels better. If it is still uncomfortable, avoid eating on it for several more days then try it again. If after giving it a good rest without chewing on it for a few weeks it still feels uncomfortable or you develop any further symptoms let your dentist take an xray of it. As I've said, sometimes fractures show up on xrays and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the tooth needs treatment and sometimes it doesn't.

A dentist is not going to tell you that they used unnecessary force on your adjacent tooth during an extraction. Depending on how difficult the one tooth is to get out can determine how much leverage they need from the adjacent teeth during the surgery. There is no telling at this point whether that tooth has a problem or not. Let is rest for a few weeks and see how it feels.

Also, does your mouthguard fit properly? Sometimes when a tooth is removed, the mouthguard needs to be adjusted to accomodate the new bite with the missing tooth. So it may be a good idea to see your dentist to have the fit of the nightguard evaluated.

Hope this is helpful to you....... I understand how worrisome our dental issues can be and no one on this planet enjoys dealing with dental problems... not even those of us in the profession :)

Have a good day and let me know if you have other concerns.......

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 581614)
Branna, thanks AGAIN ! I sure hope im NOT dealing with another crack im not sure I can handle it,lol

Its weird because when my 2nd was cracked I could not bite anything like pretzles etc, this one doesnt have the sharp pain or Zing and its stuff more like pickles,oatmeal, not pretzles.

I really dont want to go back and have them start digging and hitting the tooth etc, I am very gunshy at this point to say the least. So you really dont think they broke it by prying on it to pull the tooth behind it ??

If so would they admit it ?? If you were me would you wait it out a while longer or go back and start the search now ?

Again never a problem before pulling the 2nd molar and I really havent bitten anything hard to break it myself and I am wearing my mouth guard every night ??

Thanks for your understanding

cvcman 10-23-2009 12:11 PM

My mouth gaurd is a hockey one I made, I trimmed it after extraction. It seems to be only on one corner when it happens, its the front cornr where it touches the tooth in front of it.

I havent had it do it today but a pc of that bone I did pick out, it blead a tiny bit, I will keep up with the rinses.

Thanks so much and I sure hope its nothing, sure seems if it was cracked the pretzle would put me thru the celing.

worse case if it is a crack I hope it isnt down in the root and I loose the tooth,
not sure I can handle that

cvcman 10-23-2009 05:26 PM

Also ( you knew id have another ? ) if they look at and xray the tooth and nothing shows then what ??

My tooth that was removed had a sharp pain when biting and a large white filling in the crown, the only way he saw the crack was to drill into the pulp chamber and see the crack going into the root.

Bryanna 10-23-2009 10:36 PM

Hi cvcman,

I believe that a homemade mouth guard can cause more harm than good because irrlevent of what you do to it, it does not fit into your bite properly. These guards are meant to be used during sporting activities and have one purpose.... to protect the teeth if you are hit in the mouth. They are not intended to correct any occlusion problems and can make matters worse. If you are grinding your teeth and need a night guard, have the dentist make one for you.

I also would not recommend that you pick out any bony pieces from the extraction site unless they fall out themselves. At this point yes, I would suggest you keep rinsing with the warm salt water.

Fractured teeth can have different symptoms and they can occur in virgin teeth. Therefore, if you have a tender tooth with no swelling ..... avoid chewing on it for a few days and see what happens. Teeth can get traumatized for different reasons and many times the trauma is not permanent if we give the tooth a rest.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 581700)
My mouth gaurd is a hockey one I made, I trimmed it after extraction. It seems to be only on one corner when it happens, its the front cornr where it touches the tooth in front of it.

I havent had it do it today but a pc of that bone I did pick out, it blead a tiny bit, I will keep up with the rinses.

Thanks so much and I sure hope its nothing, sure seems if it was cracked the pretzle would put me thru the celing.

worse case if it is a crack I hope it isnt down in the root and I loose the tooth,
not sure I can handle that

Bryanna 10-23-2009 10:40 PM

If the tooth looks healthy on the xray.... they can have you bite on a bite stick which is specially designed for teeth. So don't go biting on just any stick! The bite stick can sometimes detect a fracture. Other times if a fracture is not diagnosed, but the tooth is fractured, there will eventually be signs and symptoms that something is wrong.

However....... stop stressing over this tooth because you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Let is rest, keep the area clean, have a new nightguard made and give the area some time to heal.

I'll be checking in over the weekend....... let me know if you need me!

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 581786)
Also ( you knew id have another ? ) if they look at and xray the tooth and nothing shows then what ??

My tooth that was removed had a sharp pain when biting and a large white filling in the crown, the only way he saw the crack was to drill into the pulp chamber and see the crack going into the root.

cvcman 10-24-2009 08:09 AM

I will try and take your advise about stressing, it isnt easy though , lol

I hope it isnt cracked and if it is I hope a crown will fix it so I dont have to get another removed:(:(:(

Bryanna 10-24-2009 09:39 AM

cvcman...... I'm a stresser too and have to know all of the details about anything that has to do with my body. I think of the what if's more than I should and sometimes it makes matters worse. So I do understand your concerns and reassure you that this is one of those times that it's ok to just let it be and recheck the situation in a few weeks if no other symptoms arise :)

Have a happy weekend...... hope it's drier weather than here!

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 581981)
I will try and take your advise about stressing, it isnt easy though , lol

I hope it isnt cracked and if it is I hope a crown will fix it so I dont have to get another removed:(:(:(

cvcman 10-24-2009 11:52 AM

nope, raining like a bugger here in the North East.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom. I do appreciate it. I just feel at 50 years old I shouldnt have lost ANY teeth except maybe Wisdom. Now im down to 27. I have all the tops but am missing 2nd molar lower left and first molar lower right.:(

cvcman 10-26-2009 02:08 PM

Bryanna, stress time again,lol

I know I am getting ahead of myself but IF this 1st molar IS cracked and has to ( God forbid ) come out and I have to make a decision what to do.

1) would you do an implant if possible ??

2) how to fing the best implant surgeon ??

3) partial ??

can I do a partial now for tooth # 18 and 30 ?? There is no tooth behind #18 so my neighbor said you cant do a partial because there is nothing to anchor it to ?? I swear I have seen people with a partial that were missing 1st and second molars on both sides in bottom ??

Given im 50 yrs old would a partial ruin my other teeth that they attach to ??

I really really hate this....I am avoiding the 1st molar on your suggestion but preparing myself for the worst..

Also if it is cracked can a crown repair it for a long time IF its not into the root ??

Thanks again and again and again

cvcman 10-28-2009 05:10 PM

where did my advisor go :(

Bryanna 10-28-2009 05:47 PM

Hi cvcman,

Your questions are all valid and believe me, I'm always more steps ahead of myself than I need to be..... so I understand :)

To answer your questions....

<<1) would you do an implant if possible ??>>
Sure! If you are a good candidate for doing one. A good candidate is someone who has adequate size healthy bone (in the area in question), no periodontal disease, good oral hygiene, non smoker, non alcoholic and no uncontrolled autoimmune disease.

<<2) how to fing the best implant surgeon ??>>
Referral from your dentist or someone you know that had a good experience with a dentist when they had a dental implant done. Some general dentists have taken special training to place dental implants and if they have done alot of them, they can be very good at it. Oral surgeons and periodontists also place dental implants. I would not choose the dentist because his/her fee was less expensive than someone elses...... their experience in performing the procedure, their willingness to answer my questions and the cleanliness of their operatories would help me make my choice.

<< 3) partial ??>>
Partial dentures are designed to accomodate a variety of missing tooth scenerios. It is ideal to have a tooth behind the missing one(s) to clasp the denture onto, but it is not always required. When there is no back tooth, the partial is designed to clasp onto other existing teeth and rest on the gum area of the missing tooth.... in your case #18 would be the area where the partial would rest on the gum. I have seen many patients who have NO posterior teeth and wear a partial just fine. It really all depends on your own anatomy, your bone level and the craftmanship/artistry of dentist and the lab fabricating the appliance.

You are 50 yrs young!! A well fitting partial denture would not ruin your other teeth.

If your tooth is cracked above the gumline and the crack is not deep, then a crown could serve to protect that tooth for a very long time.

I have a suggestion........ go see your dentist for an xray. Ask them to use the tooth sleuth (bite stick) to check for fractures. Neither of these are 100%accurate but the results may put your mind at ease or give you some options of what you could do at this time.

Ahahahaha....... this advisor is usually not too far away :)

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 582810)
Bryanna, stress time again,lol

I know I am getting ahead of myself but IF this 1st molar IS cracked and has to ( God forbid ) come out and I have to make a decision what to do.

1) would you do an implant if possible ??

2) how to fing the best implant surgeon ??

3) partial ??

can I do a partial now for tooth # 18 and 30 ?? There is no tooth behind #18 so my neighbor said you cant do a partial because there is nothing to anchor it to ?? I swear I have seen people with a partial that were missing 1st and second molars on both sides in bottom ??

Given im 50 yrs old would a partial ruin my other teeth that they attach to ??

I really really hate this....I am avoiding the 1st molar on your suggestion but preparing myself for the worst..

Also if it is cracked can a crown repair it for a long time IF its not into the root ??

Thanks again and again and again

cvcman 10-28-2009 08:38 PM

Hey your home ! I am still being carefull and again normal food its ok, pickles, or something firm it feels uncomfortable not a sharp nerve pain like my removed tooth felt rather a dull pressure, hard to explain.

My regular dentist is back in a week and a half. I may go to the oral surgeon who did the ext and ask her opinion, I am sure she will not admit to prying on it IF she did but she may xray etc.

Then I may go to my reg dentist too if I dont feel comfortable with her answer. If it is determined that its cracked what then ?? Should the oral surgeon cover the cost of the crown or whatever??

If the bite stick, xray show nothing what then ?? Will they just start drilling into the crown looking ???

Im stressing again:grouphug:

Bryanna 10-29-2009 10:59 PM

Hi cvcman,

Still being careful with that tooth is good :)

I agree to have the dentist take an xray.......I think it can wait until your GD gets back. Chances that the oral surgeon caused the tooth to fracture during the removal of the other tooth are pretty slim and if that had occured you would most likely have more intense symptoms than you have mentioned here.

It would be normal for this tooth to be uncomfortable when chewing on it from the stress on the jawbone from the other tooth being removed and because it is a single tooth in an area that should have other teeth to chew on. So the least amount of stress you put on this tooth as the bone heals, the better the outcome.

If the tooth looks ok clinically, nothing shows on the xray and the bite stick test is normal...... the dentist will check your bite (occlusion) with a piece of carbon paper to see if you are hitting that tooth harder than others. If you are, then he will adjust that tooth so it's in balance with the others. If the occlusion is ok, then he will tell you to NOT chew on that tooth for a little while longer :)

Anytime a tooth is removed, it is common for the bite to shift just enough to cause undue pressure on a tooth/teeth. This can be easily checked with the carbon paper.

Ok stop stressing now.....make an appt when your dentist comes back and take it from there. OK??

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 583717)
Hey your home ! I am still being carefull and again normal food its ok, pickles, or something firm it feels uncomfortable not a sharp nerve pain like my removed tooth felt rather a dull pressure, hard to explain.

My regular dentist is back in a week and a half. I may go to the oral surgeon who did the ext and ask her opinion, I am sure she will not admit to prying on it IF she did but she may xray etc.

Then I may go to my reg dentist too if I dont feel comfortable with her answer. If it is determined that its cracked what then ?? Should the oral surgeon cover the cost of the crown or whatever??

If the bite stick, xray show nothing what then ?? Will they just start drilling into the crown looking ???

Im stressing again:grouphug:

cvcman 10-30-2009 08:36 AM

ok, hey if thats the only problem with the tooth when I , by accident, had the bottom of my tooth brush, on the hard plastic, hit the point of the inside rear cusp I felt a twing, normal ??

I sure hope you are right and the tooth just needs more time, its been over 5 weeks..

:eek:

Bryanna 10-30-2009 12:16 PM

cvcman......... yes, that would be normal in most cases. Be gentle with that area of your mouth.... clean it thoroughly but not aggressively. Think of it as being wounded like a broken bone. It takes TIME to heal....

If any other symptoms occur or you get a toothache in that tooth, then you know there is something definitely wrong.

So...... Did I read somewhere on here that you are from Northern New Jersey?? Are you a baseball fan..... yankees or phillies??

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 584265)
ok, hey if thats the only problem with the tooth when I , by accident, had the bottom of my tooth brush, on the hard plastic, hit the point of the inside rear cusp I felt a twing, normal ??

I sure hope you are right and the tooth just needs more time, its been over 5 weeks..

:eek:

cvcman 10-30-2009 02:26 PM

nope dont follow baseball just work and pay dentists !

It seems as though when I brush across the top of the crown of that tooth when brushing my teeth there is some tingling there also, I dont like having this ....

I am hopefull YOU are correct, If they had to pull this one I am not sure how well I will handle that:mad:

cvcman 11-04-2009 05:25 PM

byanna, still feeling pain/pressure when biting certin ways/things.

I made an appt with both my GD and the oral surgeon that pulled the tooth for next week. I am scared to death that the tooth is broken and will need pulling, I HOPE I am wrong..

What do you think the chances are that the problem is just the tooth moving and the area behind it is causing the pain ??

The socket is sore if you press on it near the tooth in front of the socket.

I have to go for a colonoscpy Friday so I need to deal with one day at a time....

IF it is cracked what would you do as far as talking to the surgeon that pulled it, again I NEVER had a problem with this tooth before..

Bryanna 11-04-2009 06:04 PM

Hi cvcman,

So I guess you have continued to eat on that tooth since it still hurts to "chew" on it????

I think it's wise to have it evaluated and it can wait until next week since you are not having a toothache and there is no swelling. You said that the socket is sore if you press on it near that tooth..... that could be a part of the normal healing.......or gum recession...... or an accumulation of plaque along the gumline ...... or you could have irritated that area with food because you really should not be eating on it.

If the tooth is cracked, it does not necessarily mean that the oral surgeon caused that to happen when he was removing the other tooth. The tooth could have been cracked before and you didn't realize it because it shared the chewing forces with the tooth behind prior to the extraction. Now it stands alone and is taking a beating every time you eat on it.

The treatment options for a cracked tooth depend on where and how deep the crack is and if there is decay. MANY times the cracked portion of the tooth can be drilled away and either a regular tooth colored filling or an onlay or crown can be placed over the tooth. Again it depends on where and how deep the crack is.....

At this point, please try not to worry about this tooth. It sounds like you have more pressing issues to deal with and the tooth can take a back seat
right now. I would however, try not to eat on it until it is evaluated ~'.'~

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 586184)
byanna, still feeling pain/pressure when biting certin ways/things.

I made an appt with both my GD and the oral surgeon that pulled the tooth for next week. I am scared to death that the tooth is broken and will need pulling, I HOPE I am wrong..

What do you think the chances are that the problem is just the tooth moving and the area behind it is causing the pain ??

The socket is sore if you press on it near the tooth in front of the socket.

I have to go for a colonoscpy Friday so I need to deal with one day at a time....

IF it is cracked what would you do as far as talking to the surgeon that pulled it, again I NEVER had a problem with this tooth before..

cvcman 11-04-2009 08:21 PM

I am trying NOT to eat there but sometimes a pc of crust etc will end up there I m trying hard not to and I havent gotten anything hard on the socket.

I can feel the socket is somewhat sore the upper one where the wisdom tooth was is slightly sore also but the lower one where she did the most work is more tender.

Is there really any other answer other than a crack that would cause a pain when a small pc of firm food lands on it ?? There seems to be only one area of the socket that is tender and that is right up against the sore tooth.

No pain if no foos gets there but this morning eating oatmeal I didnt realize a pc was there and when I bit down I felt it.

If and again I hope not it has to come out would a partial be an option, I think you said it would. Would a regular dentist do that ??

The colonoscopy is jut the 50 year old Dr advise...

Again I am TRYING to stay away from it and the dentists:eek:

Bryanna 11-06-2009 07:22 PM

Hi cvcman,

I hope everything went well for you today.........

I really cannot tell you exactly what is wrong with your tooth because it could be a number of things. I think the dentist will give you the answer when he examines it. Hopefully it is something that is easily remedied.... so keep an optimistic attitude until you know for sure otherwise!!

Have a nice weekend...... please try not to worry ~'.'~

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvcman (Post 586217)
I am trying NOT to eat there but sometimes a pc of crust etc will end up there I m trying hard not to and I havent gotten anything hard on the socket.

I can feel the socket is somewhat sore the upper one where the wisdom tooth was is slightly sore also but the lower one where she did the most work is more tender.

Is there really any other answer other than a crack that would cause a pain when a small pc of firm food lands on it ?? There seems to be only one area of the socket that is tender and that is right up against the sore tooth.

No pain if no foos gets there but this morning eating oatmeal I didnt realize a pc was there and when I bit down I felt it.

If and again I hope not it has to come out would a partial be an option, I think you said it would. Would a regular dentist do that ??

The colonoscopy is jut the 50 year old Dr advise...

Again I am TRYING to stay away from it and the dentists:eek: