NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   My First 911 Call. (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/114309-911-call.html)

SallyC 02-09-2010 11:35 PM

My First 911 Call.

Well, I slipped and went boom, on my new floors and could not get up. I first called DD....NO ANSWER..:mad:. Called 911 and they sent a nice officer hunk and 3 firemen hunks.:o:o:o

One firehunk got on one side of me and one on the other side and lifted my 185 lbs, like it was nothing.:eek: I am so totally embarrassed and really feeling down now. :(

Having a damn cold doesn't help. It just made me weaker. I am going to have to get something, Non-slip for places on this new floor, where I transer to and from my scooter.

Thanks for being here to listen..:grouphug:

EricP 02-09-2010 11:39 PM

Was it due to MS?....Well I'm pretty sure, but maybe there was a banana peel on the floor?...ha-ha

I hope it doesn't happen again to you....

((huggs)))

Twinkletoes 02-09-2010 11:51 PM

Hello, Sally -- I told ya not to wear those Christmas "slippers." :rolleyes:

Or was it b/c of those darned "throw" rugs?

Got any pics of those firehunks? :D

Glad you didn't injure anything more than your pride.

Be keerful!!! :hug:

SallyC 02-09-2010 11:53 PM

It was due to slippery new floors. I slid right to the floor, didn't hurt, but because of my weak left side and no traction and nothing sturdy to hold onto, I couldn't get up..:mad:

ewizabeth 02-09-2010 11:56 PM

Oh Sally..... :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry you fell. I hope you're ok. I'm glad you got hunks to come and pick you up. (You pay taxes for that you know.:p)

I have that problem now and then. I hope this is a one time occurrence. Can you get your construction hunks out there to check the situation and make sure it doesn't happen again? Take care dear... :hug:

SallyC 02-10-2010 12:02 AM

Yes, Im going to e-mail my const. hunks right now, so they will bring mr something non skid for me, when the come tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me..:hug:

Kitty 02-10-2010 12:30 AM

Glad you're okay, Sal. Geeze......the things some people will do to get big, strong men to come to their house! :rolleyes: You just had the construction crew there. Wasn't that enough?! :cool:

Seriously, though, I know that must have been scary. Get some socks with those little traction thingys on the bottom. I have some because of the hardwood floors here. I'd have them...MS or not. They're great!

gonnamakeit 02-10-2010 01:06 AM

Sally, this is very scary. Am glad you are OK, and hope you find a way to deal with your new floors.

Be really careful when getting out of bed if the flooring is there too.

gmi

RedPenguins 02-10-2010 02:05 AM

So sorry to hear about your fall, Sally...but glad you aren't "too" hurt...and that you could find your humor...and yeah, it doesn't suck to have hunky guys lay their hands on you, right? ;)

Judy2 02-10-2010 05:05 AM

Awwwwwww Sally, I'm soooo sorry this miserable disease took a swipe at you. :( I KNOW the feeling -- it's so embarrassing having to call someone to rescue you. Personally I felt like a "beached whale" sitting on the floor waiting for help to arrive.......but then a fall can happen to anyone. Hope you're feeling okay today since a fall can really shake you up. Please be careful and hang on!!! Take care....:)

legzzalot 02-10-2010 08:21 AM

awww sal I am glad you are ok. be thankful you don't live here. our firemen tend to be big ugly boys. Total sweethearts, but you won't find them on the fire fighter calendars! Yup no slip socks rock!

Dejibo 02-10-2010 08:30 AM

:hug: dont be putting dents in my friend! we love her. I know you want to see a wide variety of hunks, but what lengths are you willing to go to?! :hug:

barb02 02-10-2010 09:54 AM

Sally, Sorry to hear about your fall. :hug:

A more serious question -- How did the firemen hunks get into your place? I have always worried about that if I ever have to call 911.

soxmom 02-10-2010 09:57 AM

:hug:s to you dear Sally.:hug:

Kitty 02-10-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 620198)
Sally, Sorry to hear about your fall. :hug:

A more serious question -- How did the firemen hunks get into your place? I have always worried about that if I ever have to call 911.

Me, too, Barb. I keep my doors locked (storm doors and house doors). Unless you have a key you're not gettin' in!! I've thought about hiding a key somewhere outside and then telling the 911 operator where it is. But what if I can't speak? What then? We need a solution to this.....especially those of us who live alone (or are alone most of the time).

EricP 02-10-2010 10:08 AM

I imagine if your doors were locked and they couldn't get in, depending on how severe the emergency, I imagine they would bust a window or chop your door down.

If you say you're ok, just fell..then they may wait until someone can open the door properly or if you say you're bleeding, they'll most likely come through a window.

Either way, they will get in no matter what. It's what they do;)

SandyC 02-10-2010 10:12 AM

Awww Sally I am so sorry. :hug:

You sure it wasn't the earthquake we had around 4am? :D

And next time you want to see sexy men in uniform they have calenders you know. :p

tkrik 02-10-2010 10:22 AM

I never thought of calling 911 to get a cheap thrill. *tkrik grabbing phone and dialing 911. Dang! They aren't answering - must be part of the budget cuts they are making around here.*:D j/k

I am sorry you fell and hope you are doing better today. :hug:

Yes, no slip socks are a great idea and talking with your contr. guys is good too. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Maybe they can put down some clear non-skid tape in the areas that you need it the most such as next to your bed. Do they even make the tape clear? I'm going to go check. . . .

EDIT: They do make it. http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Col.../i20-3006c.htm Of course, I don't know if you want to put that on your new floors but . . .

gonnamakeit 02-10-2010 11:05 AM

I bought something called a "Knoxbox" and put it on the top of my front door. It contains the key to my front door and firemen have the key to open the box and gain entry to my house.

In order to order the Knoxbox I had to go to the local fire department and fill out a form so that the fire station gives the company permission to sell the box to me.

I then faxed the form to the company that makes the box and the company shipped it to me. It cost me about $150, so it is not cheap. At least I know if I need the firemen or police they can get into my house without breaking down my door.

gmi

SallyC 02-10-2010 11:19 AM

Great idea, GMI!! :hug:

Oh BTW, I slid my butt over to the door and unlocked it, but 911 said that they would break in..

kicker 02-10-2010 11:24 AM

Sally.
I hate what happened to you!!

I got a brand new floor in my brand new 1st floor bedroom. My transition into bed from chair was slippery and scary. I put a clear tub mat mat that hat suction cups down and stepped on that. Have your construction hunks put a grab bar
(into a stud if possible) to grab to make transfer. I use bed post to transfer. After a year and a half, the floor is not so slippery (it's hardwood, Laminate may not act the same).

Aarcyn 02-10-2010 12:01 PM

Hi Sally. I am sorry you fell and had to have hunky firemen come to your rescue. At least that is a good part of a not-so-good post.:hug:

ewizabeth 02-10-2010 12:05 PM

How are you today Sally? Any bruises or aching? Did you call the hunk squad yet? They need to come over and check this out for you. :hug: (And we want pictures this time...) :Popcorn: :lookaround:

AfterMyNap 02-10-2010 12:37 PM

Wow. Some women will do anything for a little hottie attention! ;)

I hate when it happens, Sal, I know exactly what you are talking about. I give you high marks and big kudos for making that call, it's definitely hard on the pride but with your sense of humor, I'd take bets that you made those guys' days; think of how often the call is for a tragedy.

How are you at butt scooting and wall walking? My trick is to scoot my bootie to the stairs where I can shove my legs down a couple steps then yank myself up with the bannister and rail. It takes an insufferable long time to get back to safety, but I can do it when I have to.

Instead of modifying your floors, could you modify your indoor footwear?

Stay safe, ole gal, it just wouldn't be the same around here if you broke your typing fingers. ;) :hug:

SallyC 02-10-2010 01:14 PM

No achy breaky from the fall, Wiz, thanks for asking. :)

The only stairs I have are to the basement, Cindy....too precarious. :eek: I think if I wasn't sick and weak with this bug, I may have been able to pull myself up onto the sofa??

Floor hunk, Marc called this morning to check on me..;) He said they'd think of something.:confused:

I have some non-slip slippersocks on order from Dr Leonards. I do have a pair of non skid moccasons, but they keep falling off of my feet..:rolleyes:

News at 11.00..:D

Jules A 02-10-2010 01:25 PM

Oh Sally I'm sorry this happened but relieved that you are ok.
:hug:

wkikta 02-10-2010 02:44 PM

It could have been worse, a friend of mine fell in the tub. Had to have Paramedics come to help him out, naked of course.

Debbie D 02-10-2010 02:46 PM

Are your floors laminate or hardwood? I have both...hardwood in the kitchen/fam. room, laminate in my study. The laminate is scary slippery...
I've begun wearing non skid shoes in the house lately.

I hope you're feeling better, Sal...:hug:
But please...next time, get pics!!;)

SallyC 02-10-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 620329)
Are your floors laminate or hardwood? I have both...hardwood in the kitchen/fam. room, laminate in my study. The laminate is scary slippery...
I've begun wearing non skid shoes in the house lately.

I hope you're feeling better, Sal...:hug:
But please...next time, get pics!!;)

Pictures of me fallin on my ***? Oh, no, you mean the eye candy. :D

My new floors are laminate over hardwood.:eek:

SallyC 02-10-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkikta (Post 620328)
It could have been worse, a friend of mine fell in the tub. Had to have Paramedics come to help him out, naked of course.

OH, NO!!!!!:o:o:o

Kitty 02-10-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkikta (Post 620328)

Oh, Lordy......don't give her any ideas!! :cool: :D

freeinhou 02-11-2010 01:48 AM

I haven't read this whole thread (I'm drinking some potent alcoholic beverage near Bourbon street in NO), but...

I've called 911 twice. I also told a co-worker to call the Johnson Space Center medical emergency response unit once (same as 911).

All 3 times were bad experiences.

The first one resulted in open heart surgery for a tear of the aortic artery where it comes out of the heart.

The second one was shortly after that surgery - a transient blood pressure anomaly.

The third - ended up getting surgery to bypass the left/right/aortic artery in the abdomen.

I HATE ambulances. I HATE their bills. My wife's credit rating is like 780. Mine is like 650 - because ambulance companies are not happy with the insurance company payments and I say bull****. I'll drive myself the next time!!! Maybe I'll run one of the suckers off the road!

Sorry - I've had MS for 22 years but it's not my main medical concern.

Wow. I'm impressed. I didn't use the F,S,C,B,M, or any other cuss words once! Well, maybe one of the B words...

Tom

kicker 02-11-2010 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=freeinhou;620615]I haven't read this whole thread (I'm drinking some potent alcoholic beverage near Bourbon street in NO), but...

Were you at the Superbowl? New Orleans is on my WANT wish list of places to visit. Thinking of riding the Delta Queen. (river Cruise ship)

SallyC 02-11-2010 01:22 PM

Thanks Tom, but if you were really concerned, you'd have air shipped some of that NO's Bourbon, to me. :D

Jomar 02-11-2010 06:46 PM

I feel bad, I said they weren't very slippery...:(

My floors probably got dirty fast, plus our laminate flooring is over 10yrs old now. Maybe I just didn't remember them being slick...
Dogs, kids, cat & dh & I all tracking in & out...

Lady 02-11-2010 09:21 PM

Sally, that is a darn shame slipping like that. One minute your up the next second your on the floor . It happens so fast. I am sooooo glad you didn't hurt anything except your pride.

How about one of those buttons thingys you wear around the neck, to push for emergencies? Good thing you got to a phone. :)

How is the cold/flu bug coming along? Did it break with the fall? I think we will send you a Playgirl calendar, just for luck. :D

I think about falling in the shower nak-ked.:eek: Maybe we should shower with a bathing suit or something, ya think?

I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

SallyC 02-11-2010 09:36 PM

Thanks, Lady. Right now, the only thing that has me down is the dang cold. :( I feel sooo tired and yucky.

The good news is, my floors are beautiful and almost finished. :) My Hunks are bringing me a non slip pad for the floor, where I do most of my transferring, for now. :cool:

I hope you are well. :hug:

Lady 02-11-2010 10:15 PM

Rest Sally and drink fluids. You know the drill for a cold or flu bug. If it gets worse, you have to see a doctor, okay? Do you have fever?

Make some tea, not for you only, :D but to get the hunks to sit down with you for some tea and cookies, or milk if they are young enough. ;)

I still have carpets, I slip around on my Son's flooring, like yours. So I stick to rugs, wall to wall. I use two ROOMBA, robot vacuums so I don't have to do the work. Vacuuming tires me too much.

Are you taking anything for the aches and sniffles?

NurseNancy 02-12-2010 07:08 PM

i'm sorry you had to go thru that sally.
i hope the fireman fix helps.

you know the chicken soup drill. i hope your cold goes away soon.

i'm glad you're ok.

agate 02-13-2010 01:28 AM

That's such a shame, Sally!

I hope you can get a nonslip surface of some kind for your floor. There are ways of treating surfaces to make them nonskid. I've seen a couple of examples but don't know much more about them.

Yes, the 911 people would have broken in. For years I lived right across the hall from a guy with severe MS who was often falling out of his wheelchair, and the 911 people broke his door open so often that the management had to get him a new door.

In case anyone is worried about getting "that bad," I should add that he had quite a drinking problem, and many of the falls were caused by it.