NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Wheelchair batteries (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/120818-wheelchair-batteries.html)

kicker 04-28-2010 02:43 PM

Wheelchair batteries

How long do batteries live? Chair is 15 months old, battery will not hold charge past 4 dots. Afraid to go far, expect to get stranded any moment. Back-up chair battery died totally. Guy with new battery coming Friday. Making bathroom runs only!! Thursday is going to be long.

Aarcyn 04-28-2010 04:59 PM

Do you charge the battery every day? not that I have an answer as to how long a battery lasts!

wkikta 04-28-2010 08:34 PM

It was always generally believed that a gel cell, most wheelchair, will last about 100 charges. You may get more, but they may not be to a full charge. This comes from using the batteries to power the lights used by cave divers.

SallyC 04-28-2010 10:32 PM

My scooter batteries are not holding a charge for long either. I think I'll ask SSon to order some more for me. :cool:

kicker 04-29-2010 06:59 AM

Sally!!

I'm being so cautious and conservative! I have my manual chair where hopefully I can get it (I have use of only one hand, tend to go in circles in it), the door unlocked, my cell phone in chair pocket carrier and will call fire dept, if it comes to it (cute guys too!!) I can watch Netflix films on computer, have my new Kindle close (arrived yesterday as other one broke Tuesday and transferred my books on easily - love my Kindle), DH to check on me around 1, kids home by 2:30, so hope to make it through day. Batteries expensive and a pain but Mobility is priceless.

gonnamakeit 04-29-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 649546)
Sally!!

I'm being so cautious and conservative! I have my manual chair where hopefully I can get it (I have use of only one hand, tend to go in circles in it), the door unlocked, my cell phone in chair pocket carrier and will call fire dept, if it comes to it (cute guys too!!) I can watch Netflix films on computer, have my new Kindle close (arrived yesterday as other one broke Tuesday and transferred my books on easily - love my Kindle), DH to check on me around 1, kids home by 2:30, so hope to make it through day. Batteries expensive and a pain but Mobility is priceless.

Which chair do you have and how much are the batteries? I have an Invacare, M61 which I bought last July and so far the batteries are fine.

I only use it when I go out though, so I don't have to charge it more than once or twice a week.

Just remembered that the guy who sold it to me said the batteries should last between 2 and 3 years.

gmi

kicker 04-29-2010 04:36 PM

I'm in my chair 24/7, out on deck, down 800 ft drive, into neighborhoods, around the pool, here, there, everywhere. Up and down inclines. Recharge every other night about. Kids like to go joy-riding in chair when I'm not in it. Push heavy furniture with it when things get out of place (ok, sometimes it's me and the chair that pushed them out of place) I guess it is time for a new battery.

kicker 04-29-2010 04:41 PM

I have an Invacare TDX Spree and have no idea what it will cost to have a guy come with new battery, install it and fix a few other things. But have to do it,

AfterMyNap 04-29-2010 06:38 PM

I never pay for the gimp store's high-priced batteries. I go straight to Batteries Plus and they even install them into the pack for my stupid fingers. It's about half the cost of the dealer's same batteries; there are only a small handful of battery manufacturers in the world, chances are, you're buying the same ones under a custom label*.

Sal, many types of batteries have an expected number of charge cycles whether fully or partially charged each time. Some types can be re-calibrated by running them completely out (TOTALLY DEAD) and then charging (uninterrupted) for about 16 straight hours. It's not the same for different types so find out if yours are lead acid, lithium ion, cold gel, etc. when you get them and make sure you ask for the best way to ensure maximum lifetime.

*Mattresses are another one of these parity products with custom fabrics or labels, that's how all the big sellers can offer their famous "if you find the same one elsewhere for less..." Good luck finding the same one elsewhere. ;)

SallyC 04-29-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 649710)
I'm in my chair 24/7, out on deck, down 800 ft drive, into neighborhoods, around the pool, here, there, everywhere. Up and down inclines. Recharge every other night about. Kids like to go joy-riding in chair when I'm not in it. Push heavy furniture with it when things get out of place (ok, sometimes it's me and the chair that pushed them out of place) I guess it is time for a new battery.

Sheesh, Kicky, you gadabout rascal.. I live alone, so, a bit skeered to get out and about, without a rope tied to the house..:p

I used to charge once a week, but it's once a day now. I have been doing a few more miles around the house, lately, but batteries are not up to snuff..:mad:

I have an outdoor scooter sitting out in the garage, gathering dust, so, when DD gets my Cell back to me, I may get out more. :rolleyes:

I don't have the same confidence in myself, as I usta..:(

SallyC 04-29-2010 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info on the diff. batteries, Nappy. I'll certainly look into that. :hug:

kicker 04-30-2010 09:17 AM

I'm fine now, but was crying before. IF you're dependent on a chair or scooter, have a charged portable phone or cell phone. The fix the chair guy came. He said my insurance company had to be contacted before I'd get a battery ("I need one NOW" I protested , "I'll pay." But he had none for me. I'd clearly told my problems when I called. DH had not plugged cord firmly into box it turns out, that's why it didn't charge, so that was corrected. He fixed my joy stick so it wobbles no more, yanked seat belt out of frame where it was stuck so now the Wheelchair special bus will pick me up, tie me down and I can be seatbelted and take me where-ever I want in county. No charge for anything!! I was happy. Guy left, I went to go to computer but chair won't move, Repair icon keeps flashing. I am stuck in middle of kitchen. I call DH, he is close by, he gets here within 10 minutes. I cried whole time in frustration. As I was stuck I could hear repair van pull away!! Turns out guy had put levers from motor to push. Of course they are where a caregiver can reach them, not the person in a chair. All works now but realize how dependent on chair and the kindness of strangers I am. Of course now I know no one can leave until we make sure I'm fully functional.

AfterMyNap 04-30-2010 11:56 AM

Oh, Kicky, don't those moments of helplessness last forever as they gnaw at your very core? What a fiasco! I'm glad you're okay now and hope the nightmare is over. :hug:

SallyC 04-30-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 650007)
Oh, Kicky, don't those moments of helplessness last forever as they gnaw at your very core? What a fiasco! I'm glad you're okay now and hope the nightmare is over. :hug:

Me Too, Kicky. I was just bragging at your fiesty independence....I hate this disease..:mad:

:hug::hug:

SandyC 04-30-2010 02:56 PM

Sorry Kicky. Jim called me in a panic in Springfield. He was at the van stranded, I was in the Capital about 1/2 mile away. His chair wouldn't go fast at all in drive 3. We'd just had it in the shop. I rushed down thinking oh crap and when I got there he accidently turned the joystick from rabbit to turtle. :p

tamiloo 04-30-2010 03:29 PM

The batteries on Craig chair won't charge all the way and what little charge he gets goes before we get to where we wanted to use it...how much do new batteries run?:confused: I guess it depends on the model...just being blonde!

SandyC 04-30-2010 03:59 PM

Jim gets his through the VA but I have been known to buy them off Ebay when we bought Jim a spare power chair. If you go this route go with a Ebay store and not an individual because you want to be sure your can return the batteries if they are bad. When I bought two from Ebay they ran about $110 each. Not cheap at all but every chair is different and so are the batteries.

gonnamakeit 04-30-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiloo (Post 650049)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DimGray]The batteries on Craig chair won't charge all the way and what little charge he gets goes before we get to where we wanted to use it...how much do new batteries run?

Go to "Batteries Plus" and put in your model and you will get a price. I just did that for my little Z-Chair (Pride) and it was only $49.95, so I was very pleased.

It is 3 or 4 years old (bought it used) and the battery has to be charged every day even though I am not using it. I am going to stop in to the store and buy new batteries next week so I have a back up chair again.

gmi

kicker 05-01-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 650055)
Jim gets his through the VA but I have been known to buy them off Ebay when we bought Jim a spare power chair. If you go this route go with a Ebay store and not an individual because you want to be sure your can return the batteries if they are bad. When I bought two from Ebay they ran about $110 each. Not cheap at all but every chair is different and so are the batteries.

$110 each!! I think Jim and I have same chair (Invacare TDX Spree) except mine doesn't elevate. My mistake is usually Turtle to Rabbit!!! OMG! Zoom!!!

SandyC 05-01-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 650244)
$110 each!! I think Jim and I have same chair (Invacare TDX Spree) except mine doesn't elevate. My mistake is usually Turtle to Rabbit!!! OMG! Zoom!!!

He has the TDX SP and he gets the super batteries. LOL

I cannot tell you how many times Jim has ran into the wall and doorways. That darn thing gets away from him at times. I looked up reviews and yep, pateints who have these chairs are saying the same thing. I wish you were closer. I have the programer to change speed and torque and all kinds of goodies. :D

kicker 05-01-2010 04:45 PM

I have the cheap non-programmable joystick and still wham doorways, I am not fat but this thing is wide. Being able to recline or rise means it extends out into a "Big butt". I like to put it on ultimate fast rabbit in the wide open space of the long downhill drive. ZOOM!! (Like the buddy system when swimming, never when I'm alone)

kicker 05-01-2010 04:59 PM

If you were closer I'd just challenge Jim to a race and we'd drink and end up having to join an AA message board. I can hear it now, "Hi, I'm Sandy".

SandyC 05-01-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 650421)
If you were closer I'd just challenge Jim to a race and we'd drink and end up having to join an AA message board. I can hear it now, "Hi, I'm Sandy".

LOL Or end up with a DUI! :p

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2...ir%20Drunk.jpg

jprinz99 05-06-2010 05:44 AM

Too funny Sandy- that picture made me spill my coffee!!!:D

*Batteries Plus or local boatyard parts dealer are places I found to purchase &/or order chair bateries.

kicker 05-06-2010 07:13 AM

I'm a Electric wheel chair newbie, Do Medical insurance companies help pay for "consumables"?

PS - Nice picture Sandy. Some days feel like that!!!

tamiloo 05-08-2010 11:52 PM

Craig mostly operates at the Rabbit end of the speed...though a few times he has somehow turned it to turtle and I wondered what was wrong. He is so good a marking up every wall door frame or just about anything he drives by while in his power chair. Right now its not allowed in the house because of that Rabbit setting! His nephews want to have flames painted on the sides....:D

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j.../36_12_231.gif