NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Seizures? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/122752-seizures.html)

daisy.girl 05-23-2010 08:15 AM

Seizures?

Anyone here with seizures as well as MS? I have a long history of severe migraines and recently this:

I had a one EEG that showed spikes on my left pareital lobe.

I have periods of zoning out/blank stare, loss of words, rolling thumbs, jerking body movements (like when you're cold, or just falling asleep) I have awaken in the night with my teeth tightly clenched, confused, bitten the inside of my cheek, and a bad taste in my mouth.

I just completed a 72 hour ambulatory EEG that was normal! Now I am real confused! Does this stuff happen with MS?

I was just DX with MS in Jan.

Victor H 05-23-2010 09:23 AM

Daisy,

If your neurologist has not provided Dilantin to you for this condition, I would demand it. It is an anti-convulsant and works very well.

Ask the neurologist about it.

-Vic

daisy.girl 05-24-2010 08:00 AM

The doctor did prescribe topamax (an anti-convulsant) before the results of the 72 hour EEG....he said it would work for the migraines too.

I am just wondering if anyone else deals with seizures and migraines along with their MS?

SallyC 05-24-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy.girl (Post 657500)
I am just wondering if anyone else deals with seizures and migraines along with their MS?

Not I, but many here have complained of both.

:hug::hug:

FinLady 05-25-2010 09:34 AM

It can happen. My mom, in her later years, would suffer seizures almost every MS relapse.

Also some of the meds we are prescribed (Baclofen is an example) can't be suddenly stopped because those also have been known to cause seizures if discontinued too fast. Those are things we need to wean slowly off of.

Glad to hear that the latest EEG came out ok. Hope the med keeps working. :hug::hug:

freeinhou 05-25-2010 10:38 AM

I had grand mal seizures 1993-1994. They occurred during the beginnings of MS relapses so the only conclusion we could come up with is that they were related. I took depakote for 1994-1998. Haven't had a seizure since 1994.

One of the seizures happened at a rest area. Someone timed it at 8 minutes. I have zero recollection of the period. The others happened when I was alone.

I've had MS since 1988.

Tom

tkrik 05-26-2010 11:41 AM

I have experienced 2 seizure like episodes. The 1st EEG they did, I did not get in to a good REM sleep during the test, which apparently you need to for a complete test. Therefore, the results came back normal. The 2nd test the insurance co. dragged their feet on and I never had it done. Both times, I was not allowed to drive until either after the test or 6 months of no more episodes.

I from time to time have experienced things similar to what you described - woken up in the middle of the night with my teeth clenched, bitten my cheek, and total body stiffness (only legs, back, and neck - never my arms and hands). Since my EEG was normal, I now just attribute this to spasms and/or some sort of tension.

It is rare, but MSers can have seizures. As mentioned, discuss your concerns with your neuro. I hope you start feeling better soon.:hug:

freeinhou 05-27-2010 06:20 AM

Oh yeah. tkrit brings up a very valid point. You do not want to be reported as seizure prone to a state entity. They will take away your driver's license. In Florida it's like a 3 year ban. Physicians are required to report seizures in Florida. They don't always abide by the requirement (fortunately for me).

Tom

SallyC 05-27-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeinhou (Post 658608)
Oh yeah. tkrit brings up a very valid point. You do not want to be reported as seizure prone to a state entity. They will take away your driver's license. In Florida it's like a 3 year ban. Physicians are required to report seizures in Florida. They don't always abide by the requirement (fortunately for me).

Tom

Just reporting that you have MS could force you to have to take an annual driving test, to keep your license.:eek: I never reported it, when I was able to drive and when I was not, I simply didn't renew my driver's lic.

jprinz99 06-04-2010 11:53 AM

I have seizures (had them for decades, pre MS stuff). Take anticonvulsants to help control them. Can't get a licennse as some MD (while I was in hosp for something unrelated) decided it was "his duty to society" to report me as uncntrolled to DMV. Ugh!

They can be related or jsut a cooincidence. Your neuro can handle both usually (some neuros only see a lot of X type of disorder and prefer to send you to another neuro for anyhting not X disorder reated, which is at least honest of them)

Seizures are really no big deal to me as I and my family are used to them. I do strongly suggest a Medic-Alert ID bracelet that says you have seizures - as this is important for ER and 911 crews to know in any emergency.

Lady 06-04-2010 09:43 PM

I had something totally different, yet called the same.:confused:

In the beginning of my dxing, limboland, journey, I had many EEG's in the hospital. They said I had myoclonic seizures and myoclonic jerks, with an odd tremor in many locations. Eye, tongue, hands, etc.

On Klonopin from the beginning for these, after trying many other meds. This worked for me. I still take it 3 times a day for 30 years now. I only get a myoclonic jerk when in relapse now, no myoclonic seizures since near the end of Limboland in 1980.

Klonopin has anti-seizure and anti-tremor properties too. I hope some of this info helps. :)

I will look for the site I found on this and add it later.

Gee, I just found out hiccups are myoclonic jerks, hmm

Edited to add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

daisy.girl 06-05-2010 06:50 AM

thanks....
I too have myoclonic jerks, and muscles twitches......thethey are common is both MS and seizures!!

anyone with auras?? I woke up the other night to a colorful light show...I was told that auras are actually simple partial seizures.

SandyC 06-05-2010 09:42 AM

They are daisy, my mom has those sometimes. Jim had seizures 7 years ago but we are now convinced it was drug related since he was on neurontin and was taken off it without weaning. He stayed on seizure meds for some time just to be sure. He's now seizure free and seizure med free. :hug:

MSacorn 06-06-2010 11:54 AM

I have had two grand mal seizures, one in 2002, the 2nd in 2009. Both times I dislocated my left shoulder. My EEG's have all come back normal. Last year, after the seizure, I was dx'ed as having epilepsy as a component of MS.

Currently I am taking Keppra because my neuro says it focuses more on controlling seizures then other meds. Previously I'd been on Trileptal and Dilantin for seizures. Trileptal was also able to give me a bit of releif for sensory sx in my hands, I miss that.

daisy.girl I'm sorry you are having to deal with the seizures, as if, MS isn't enough of a challenge. Be sure and find a good doctor and get yourself on the anti-seizure that is best for you. Good luck to you.

SallyC 06-06-2010 12:05 PM

:Wave-Hello: Hi Beth, nice to hear from you..:hug:

MSacorn 06-06-2010 12:14 PM

:Off-Topic:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 662137)
:Wave-Hello: Hi Beth, nice to hear from you..:hug:

Hi Sally :Wave-Hello: So nice to be back and remembered. :hug:
~Beth~

Lady 06-06-2010 01:54 PM

Hi Beth, welcome back. :) I am not sure if I remember you, but I hope you will continue to Join us.

You had two seizures and yet your EEG's came back normal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi again daisy.girl, Could the aura's be from migraine? Some migraine has silent pain. Actually called "Silent Migraines.: Flashing lights or aura's yet no headache.

It is so hard to decide what is MS related, or related to meds or other diseases/ disorders. It's like a big puzzle and we the people with them, have to try to decide which symptom belongs to what issue. (sigh)

daisy.girl 06-12-2010 07:30 AM

Hi....
I went to the neuro yesterday. He told me I have epilepsy/seizures, happens with MS.
He said my seizures are coming from my temporal, parietal and frontal lobes. And...Yes, it is very common to have normal EEG and still have seizures. He upped my topamax :(
I think I hate the meds more than I hate any of these terrible diseases!! but then again, no diseases no med!!!

EricP 06-12-2010 10:12 AM

One of my early symps was sitting down and getting a flash then almost fainting. my head would fall but I would catch it. The last time it was so scary that I knew something was wrong..hence I went through the MS proccess. I've had the jerking legs and arms too.

Is your Doc still trying to figure it out?....

daisy.girl 06-12-2010 12:51 PM

thanks for your reply eric....I was dx with MS in Jan. I knew I had been having zoning out/staring spells so the neuro ordered an EEG. My seizures have increased to night time waking light shows and occasionally jerks and twitches during the day too.

EddieF 06-12-2010 03:57 PM

I wonder if progesterone would do anything helpfull. I know it saves the brain if given within a few hrs of a TBI. Estogens might be outta whack too.
Tests here are $30/each if no insurance. Have the following checked and post. I'd love to know what those are in everone with MS male/female.
Progesterone
Estriol
Estradiol
Estrone
Testosterone (optional)