NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   "Bruised Fingers" (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/124347-bruised-fingers.html)

Mere 06-10-2010 05:31 PM

"Bruised Fingers"

I have been riding-out a dysautonomic flare for the past week - still on the couch with no energy and when I get up, I feel like my legs are not going to take me anywhere.

Now, I know I am starting to sound like a hypochondriac, but this is bothering me... The weird thing is I have nerve pain in my upper left arm (the mid-outer area) and my fingers are tingly and sometimes numb. This has been bothering me for a while - about one year now. But since this flare, my arm has been hurting more and the last 1/2" of my finger and tips feel as if they are bruised. It does not matter if they are touching anything - they feel bruised.

Has anyone experienced this? What does it mean? I am wondering if it is just another type of nerve pain or does it indicate nerve damage? Anyone know...?

Mere

nide44 06-11-2010 08:02 AM

It happens to me in my toes.
Bruised feeling, deep, bone-bruise type.

I say I've either been stepped on by an elephant, or my feet
have been run over by a truck- a BIG truck!
It just happens some days.

No triggers that I can tell- just happens.
(Well.....maybe sometimes..... at the end of the day,
& I've been on my feet a lot)

Ain't PN grand?

Mere 06-11-2010 08:38 AM

Yes, so grand! Never a dull moment, always something new happening...

Thanks Bob. Sorry you have this too.

Mere

mrsD 06-11-2010 08:41 AM

I sometimes get "throbbing" in my fingers, usually at night when I go to bed. I don't know what this is, but my doctor said it might be because of my blood pressure medications. (I also use a calcium channel blocker-- not verapamil, but diltiazem). My hands tend to swell, and go back down alot. They are often worse in hot weather.

When I was briefly taking Imdur (a nitrate) I had the throbbing more often, since this dilates blood vessels, too.

Mere 06-11-2010 02:45 PM

Yes, Mrs.D, I would imagine that Imdur would induce throbbing...

In general, the Summer weather also seems to make things worse for me...

nide44 06-12-2010 08:20 AM

I am definitely more miserable in hot weather, than in cooler.
I use the A/C all the time in the summer, whereas my wife likes to open
the windows when its 85-90++ outside. I keep fans (both ceiling & box) going all the time (especially at nite to cool my 'footsies') anytime the weather is over 65-70 degrees.

Mere 06-12-2010 09:16 AM

Yes Bob, me too. I always feel hot, even when my husband is cold. It is like my thermostat is stuck on high. When I go out in the heat and humidity, my face gets bright red. (it's very attractive :mad:).

Mere

malawigirl08 06-12-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mere (Post 663773)
Yes Bob, me too. I always feel hot, even when my husband is cold. It is like my thermostat is stuck on high. When I go out in the heat and humidity, my face gets bright red. (it's very attractive :mad:).

Mere

My thermostat is stuck on high and has been since after I had my son 11 years ago, it is as if the pregnancy overheating has continued - my pain consultant has asked to get my thyroid checked again - is your thyroid ok?

Mere 06-12-2010 06:43 PM

Yes, as far as I know my thyroid is fine. The function and hormone levels have been tested many times and the tests are always normal. I think I have trouble with my internal thermostat. Sometimes when I am in a flare I get a fever.

Mere

nide44 06-13-2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mere (Post 663773)

Mere

I just sweat a lot, profusely in hot weather-
always have, even as a child .
It takes a while for my core heat to level off
and I feel cool and comfortable again.
The slightest exertion seems to set it off again.

daniella 06-13-2010 07:18 AM

Well my condition in the limbs legs inner ankle/foot/calf and now sometime knee. I get a throb feeling like my foot has been run over. Anyhow to the point sometimes I feel the nerve is connected for ex if I touch my knee in a certain place I can feel it in my ankle. So I wonder if your arm pain is radiated to the fingers? Or if you are moving in a way to protect it and it is making your fingers hurt. These are just some thoughts that came to mind. Do you have any doctor apt soon cause I would explain to him your new symptoms. I always get fearful for myself I will brush something off as nerve pain or a flare and then it will be something different. I hope you feel better

Mere 06-13-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella (Post 664188)
... So I wonder if your arm pain is radiated to the fingers?...

I think that may be the case. Also, If I tip my neck backward, I feel the pain in my upper arm. At the start of a terrible flare last year, the opposite arm (my right arm) hurt in the same exact place and also produced numbness in the right hand fingers. It did however improve and has never bothered me since that time.

Mere