NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Sanctuary for Spiritual Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/sanctuary-for-spiritual-support/)
-   -   Inspirational Quotes (https://www.neurotalk.org/sanctuary-for-spiritual-support/12483-inspirational-quotes.html)

KathyM 02-01-2007 06:34 PM

Inspirational Quotes

Feel free to post your own. :)

"Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out." -- Vaclav Havel

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." -- Carl Jung

"When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure." -- Peter Marshall

Alffe 02-02-2007 06:15 AM

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~~~Edmund Burke

BJ 02-02-2007 07:20 AM

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.

Louisa May Alcott

Chemar 02-02-2007 08:40 AM

~~You must be the change you wish to see in the world.~~
Mahatma Ghandi

~~When one door closes another opens.
But often we look so long so regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us.
~~
Helen Keller

KathyM 02-03-2007 12:44 PM

Thanks Alffe, MeBP and Cheri - good thoughts to ponder. :cool:

Here are a couple more... :)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop our inner happiness and peace." - Dalai Lama

BJ 02-03-2007 08:51 PM

Mother Teresa has always been a great inspiration to me.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.

watsonsh 02-03-2007 08:56 PM

Shining Stars have no need to prove the strength of their light by competing with fluttering candles

- You are all shining stars at NT!

BJ 02-04-2007 09:45 PM

Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person
who has nothing to eat.
Mother Teresa

Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you plan to stop peddling.
Claude Pepper

AlmasDaddy 02-08-2007 11:35 AM

"In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul."
Psalm 94:19

InHisHands 02-22-2007 08:55 PM

Cool topic here! Thought I would chime in... :)

Character is what you are in the dark.
Dwight L. Moody

Faith makes all things possible... love makes all things easy.
Dwight L. Moody

I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man.
Dwight L. Moody

We can stand affliction better than we can prosperity, for in prosperity we forget God.
Dwight L. Moody

Cathy 02-23-2007 10:04 AM

Quotes

Hi all and Happy Friday...since I thought yesterday was Friday, I'm really happy it's finally herel

In His Hands - I shared your Booker T. Washington quote with one of my daughters yesterday and she really appreciated and understood it so thanks from both of us.

BP - I also love Mother Teresa and I think that we can all smile when someone so close to God can say - I wish he didn't trust me so much.

St. Theresa of Avila used to tell God that if this (lots of stories here)is the way you treat your friends, it's no wonder that you don't have more!!!

One of my most favorite quotes from (I think) Brennan Manning's The Ragamuffin Gospel. is "What he will not protect me from, he will perfect me through". I think all of us on these pages can benefit from this - I know many have who do not have the challenges that we have, benefit very much from thinking it through.

Have a wonderul day my new friends!
Cathy aka Silky ;)

Alffe 02-23-2007 10:38 AM

What is grace? I know until you ask me; when you ask me, I do not know.

*Saint Augustine

Calm 02-23-2007 11:34 AM

Thank you everybody for posting these quotes. :)

AlmasDaddy 02-23-2007 01:54 PM

Author unknown

Laughter is the only thing that'll cut trouble down to size where you can talk to it.

Chemar 02-26-2007 08:27 PM

"It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart."

~~Mahatma Ghandi~~

Chemar 02-27-2007 08:30 AM

The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.'
One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity.
In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

~~John F Kennedy~~

Chemar 02-28-2007 07:47 AM

One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
~~Will Durant~~

Chemar 03-14-2007 08:35 PM

You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.

~Lewis Smedes~

InHisHands 03-25-2007 02:11 PM

"Storms make the oak grow deeper roots." -George Herbert

“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.” -Peter Marshall

“Give us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to stand for- because unless we stand for something we shall fall for anything.” -Peter Marshall

lou_lou 03-26-2007 12:44 AM

quotes from a poet -ella wheeler wilcox

Be alive, from crown to toe. Breathe deeply, filling every cell of the lungs for at least five minutes, morning and night, and when you draw in long, full breaths, believe you are inhaling health, wisdom and success.

Anticipate good health. If it does not come at once, consider it a mere temporary delay, and continue to expect it.

Regard any physical ailment as a passing inconvenience, no more.

Never for an instant believe you are permanently ill or disabled.

LarryLDN 03-31-2007 08:15 PM

Friday, March 30, 2007

This is a great day

If it seems you're having a difficult day, that's not really the case. Though today you may have experienced certain difficulties up to this point, those difficulties do not have to define the day.

The rest of this day will be what you make it. You can choose right now to make it positive and productive.

Those difficulties and frustrations that had you thinking this was a difficult day can quickly be left behind. You can in fact make this a truly great day.

Take a deep breath, and be sincerely thankful for the experience and the wisdom you've already gained today. Then point your energy in a positive direction.

Choose to make this moment a turning point. Instead of allowing random events to control your attitude, select an attitude that will move you forward.

This is a great day. Beginning right now, you have what it takes to live that reality.

-- Ralph Marston

lou_lou 04-01-2007 07:42 AM

hello dear LarryLDN

thank you, dear Larry! - :circlelove:

Although we often question why bad things happen, there's usually no satisfying answer; sometimes life just throws us a lemon.
and annoying as it seems -my father's motto was -
when life throws you a lemon - make lemonade. :Clever:

Though hindsight may eventually provide a positive outlook to what now appears to be a negative, that possibility probably won't provide the comfort we're seeking right away.

These interventions will help lift your mood, elevate your spirits, and get you moving back toward a positive attitude:

Communication - In times of stress and anxiety, sharing your feelings with a supportive person helps to lift your spirits. The act of verbalizing what you're thinking and feeling is often enough to help you get past initial negative feelings.

Meditation - Meditation calms, energizes, and diminishes stress. Find a quiet place to sit comfortably and focus on breathing deeply and slowly. This basic meditation will help.

Exercise - Physical exercise calms the mind and redirects thoughts and energy away from worries and concerns. Take a brisk walk, tackle some housework, or go to the gym; any form of exercise will help cheer you up.
Three good things - Identify three good things that have happened in the last 24 hours. Even the most routine positive event is helpful in lifting your mood, such as a good meal, a safe commute to work, or a cheerful hello from a friend.

Gratitude letter :Writting: - Take a few moments and jot down a brief note of gratitude to someone who has been helpful to you recently. Again, this need not be an extraordinary helpful gesture, but a kind word, a supportive presence, or a sincere attempt to cheer you up are worthy of your gratitude.

Acts of kindness - Providing a kind act toward someone else not only helps that person but lifts our spirits in return. So even though you might be feeling down, strive to do something kind and helpful to another person.
The next time something bad happens in your life, try one or more of the above interventions. Though you can't remove the negative situation with these interventions, they can help you regain a positive, problem-solving attitude more quickly

LarryLDN 04-09-2007 10:45 AM

snips 040907

The past is finished, it is no more. The past lives within you in this now only as wisdom. That is what it has gained you. That is why in this now you are the greatest you have ever been in all of your lives. For in this now you have progressed into knowingness further than your yesternow.

You are this moment the cumulative whole of all your knowledge-knowledge gained through experience, and experience gained through the virtue called life. And every moment you express, you are creating anew- a new adventure into emotion and the pearls of experience, called wisdom."

Ramtha by JZ Knight

Love, compassion, and tolerance are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it if you have love, compassion, and tolerance.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

One of the tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon, instead of enjoying the roses
that are blooming outside our windows today.

Dale Carnegie

trekker 04-09-2007 08:32 PM

A lot, I know, but I collect the darn things...

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
~Cherokee wisdom~

"Just let go. Let go of how you thought your life should be, and embrace the life that is trying to work it's way into your consciousness...
~Caroline Myss "

"Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind. Did you think you were put here for something less?"
--Chief Arvol Looking Horse

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle
.... Albert Einstein

"Don't take life too seriously,
You'll never get out alive".
Bugs Bunny, circa 1955

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.—Dame Edna Everage
------------

Instructions for Life in the new millennium from the Dalai Lama:

Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
When you lose, do not lose the lesson.
Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions.
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
Do not let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
When you realize you have made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
Spend some time alone every day.
Open your arms to change, but do not let go of your values.
Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
Live a good, honorable life. Then, when you get older and think back, you will be able to enjoy it a second time.
A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Do not bring up the past.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Be gentle with the earth.
Once a year, go someplace you have never been before.
Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
-----------------

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
- George Carlin

and finally...
"Not a day passes over the earth, but men and women of no note do great deeds, speak great words and suffer noble sorrows." ~ Charles Reade

ChattyLouise 04-10-2007 01:56 PM

Hi Trekker and All!

Hi and {{{{HUGS}}}} to all caregivers!

Trekker, if you get a chance please email me at luvscoobgirl@yahoo.com.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
Arthur C. Clarke

trekker 04-10-2007 09:25 PM

Hi ChattyLouise

I tried to email you but it won't go thru. Is the above email addy correct?

LarryLDN 04-14-2007 10:54 AM

snips 041307

Nothing happens by chance. We are a part of a universe that is forever giving us definite messages and signals, often in the form of problems.

It is not an accident or coincidence that a particular problem is happening to you at any given point in your life; our difficulties are signposts waiting to be read.

Ask yourself: What is the problem I'm experiencing telling me about myself? What is it telling me about my thoughts? Beliefs? Actions? Choices? Lifestyle? What is this problem trying to tell me?

Look closely, and see if you can find the real cause. If you always feel sorry for yourself or helpless when a problem comes your way, you'll miss the important messages it brings you.

John Kehoe

Notice the acts of kindness other people do rather than their wrongdoing. We are all good, decent, loving souls who occasionally get lost.

Wayne Dyer

A bird does not sing because he has an answer. He sings because he has a song.

Joan Walsh Anglund

InHisHands 05-10-2007 01:03 PM

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -Booker T. Washington

theoneRogue420 05-11-2007 02:10 AM

My sig is my favorite quote, but I have one other. I cannot give the proper person the credit they deserve, because it's on a button I bought in an antique/junk store, lol.

"All bigots will be reincarnated as gay, homeless people of color"

LarryLDN 05-28-2007 06:33 PM

05/23/07

It is time for us to look at the things we say we want out of life and then see what beliefs and thoughts we harbor that are keeping those things away from us. We are powerful beings. The power of our mind is awesome. We can learn to harness that power and have it work for us rather than against us. All it takes is our taking the time to pay attention to what we REALLY think and focus on changing those thoughts to supportive ones.

Marie T. Russell

People who are generous live the richest lives. People who love, are the most loved, and people who give joy are the most joy-full. Life is a circle - so what we give to others comes pouring back into our own lives.

Edward Viljoen

The game of life is a game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds, and words return to us sooner or later, with astounding accuracy.

Florence Scovel Shinn

LarryLDN 06-04-2007 08:19 PM

06/04/07

From the site: http://greatday.com/

Monday, June 4, 2007

Life changes

Even the most pleasurable experience can become dull and unpleasant if it continues on and on with no end. Even the most magnificent surroundings can feel like a prison if you're unable to take a break from them.

Life thrives on variety and change. When you keep yourself stuck in a rut, no matter how satisfying that rut may be, it gets old and can be very draining.

When you're constantly fighting against change, even if you succeed in keeping things the same you render yourself unable to enjoy them. Because you're always worried that they will not last.

When, on the other hand, you accept that change is part of life, you will enable yourself to enjoy and to fully live every moment you're in. You'll also be able to look more confidently and enthusiastically toward the future instead of dreading it.

Yes, with change there is risk, yet there is also enormous opportunity. Change gives life richness and meaning, and makes possible all sorts of achievements that no one has yet even considered.

Embrace and celebrate the dynamic, changing nature of life. And you'll find each day to be a unique and joyful blessing.

-- Ralph Marston

JD 07-08-2007 06:42 PM

We are known not by what we do, but by the choices we make.

I shall not die but live and declare the works of the Lord.

Darlene 07-09-2007 01:32 AM

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile,
nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

LarryLDN 07-17-2007 05:33 PM

Sometimes in life it appears that we are at the end of our trail, when we are really at the beginning. If you take your direction from social signs, you will just follow the herd and be programmed by other people who think for you, and are guided primarily by fear. But if you follow your joy-inspired inner voice of guidance, you will be led to experiences that far surpass any the sign-makers post. Buddha said, "To see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone."

Alan Cohen

In the depth of your hopes and desires lies your silent knowledge of the beyond; And like seeds dreaming beneath the snow your heart dreams of spring. Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.

Kahlil Gibran

The past can't tell us what we are. All it can tell us is what we are not, this instant.

Hugh Prather

LarryLDN 07-26-2007 11:07 AM

This may shock you, but I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude. It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances, or my position.

Attitude is that "single string" that keeps me going or cripples my progress. It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope. When my attitudes are right, there's no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me.

Charles R. Swindoll

Our paths are revealed in small increments, just as small as they need to be for our personal comfort and ability to assimilate. It's not possible for us to view everything; however, we can prepare, healing fear, making responsible choices, day by day, moment by moment; what comes to us in the opportunities offered are designed to direct us to higher purpose and identity. We are on the Path of Beauty.

Maria Yraceburu

A cardinal principle of the Spiritual Warrior is: It is not what is happening that is important;

what is important is what you are doing with it. Thus the Spiritual Warrior says, "Regardless of what it looks like, regardless of my perception, I will use everything for my advancement, upliftment, and growth."

John-Roger

InHisHands 07-27-2007 01:16 PM

"God allows our faith to be tried, and He permits troubles to crowd into our lives. Sometimes they seem more than we can bear, but Christ can bear them. The first step towards 'parted waters' is to frequently remind ourselves that the Lord has either put us in this difficult place or has allowed us to be there for reasons perhaps only He knows." -Unknown

"Sovereign Sustaining Grace: Not grace to bar what is not bliss,
nor flight from all distress but this,
the grace that orders our trouble and pain and then in the darkness is
there to sustain." -John Piper

"He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

Darlene 07-28-2007 01:11 AM

Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting. ~Author Unknown

What a bargain grandchildren are! I give them my loose change,
and they give me a million dollars' worth of pleasure. ~Gene Perret

Grandmothers are just "antique" little girls. ~Author Unknown

Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.
~Welsh Proverb

A proud gammaw,
Darlene
:hug:

LarryLDN 08-11-2007 08:54 PM

Some August SNIPS

The past is over and done and cannot be changed. This is the only moment we can experience. Even when we lament about the past, we are experiencing our memory of it in this moment, and losing the real experience of this moment in the process.

Louise Hay

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can be great.

Mark Twain

Stop trying so hard to control things. It is not our job to control people, outcomes, circumstances, and life. Maybe in the past we couldn't trust and let things happen. But we can now. The way life is unfolding is good. Let it unfold.

Melody Beattie

Wisdom is like marinade. First you take what a book said or what a teacher said, and then you mix it with your own ideas. Then you add experience and pour in a few buckets of tears. Add memories of lost love, a pinch of personal humiliation and a teaspoon of deep regrets. Add to that a cup of courage. Leave it to soak for a few years and voila! - darn it if you have not become wise.

Marianne Williamson

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."

John Schaar

LarryLDN 09-25-2007 05:24 PM

We do not always know why things are happening the way they are. We do not always know how a particular relationship will work out. We do not always understand the source of our feelings, why we've been led down a particular path, what is being worked out in us, what we are learning, why we needed to recycle, why we had to wait, why we needed to go through a time of discipline, or why a door closed. How our present circumstances will work into the larger scheme of events is not always clear to us. That is how it needs to be. We could strain for hours today for the meaning of something that may come in an instant next year. Let it go. We can let go of our need to figure things out, to feel in control. It will become clear. For today, being is enough.

Melody Beattie