NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   I have a doozy of a VCR question (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/143469-doozy-vcr-question.html)

MelodyL 01-19-2011 10:27 PM

I have a doozy of a VCR question

And I bet NO ONE knows the answer to this.

In my bedroom I have two set-ups. Two VCRs attached to two cable boxes attached to two tvs.

On the right, I only record. On the left, I do both.

So during the evening, (as it's doing right now), I'm recording channel 4 from 9 to 11 and then my cable box will switch to another channel and I'll record from 11 p.m. to midnight.

On the left I will watch something that I have recorded.

Oh, and this is important. Both vcrs are Panasonic and share one remote. I have the other one, but who needs it. I can use the remote on both of the vcrs.

So you might be asking "How on earth can she be recording on the right one and watching another program on the left tv. Wouldn't the remote be interrupting the VCR on the right set-up.

For example, if I'm recording on the right, and aim the remote at the left one to press play, and then stop, wouldn't the remote affect the right VCR?

Well, I solved (or at least I thought I did for 5 years or so), that problem.

On my right tv, I have a big cardboard box fitted over EVERYTHING. There is no line of site. So when I program the VCR on the right set-up, I place the box over it and I go about what I want to do and the remote HAS NEVER triggered a stop, a play or anything on the right VCR.

I even put a towel over the box just to make sure

Well, today, I was watching a tape on the left, I pressed stop and I heard the right vcr stop. I checked and yes it stopped.

So how come (if there no line of site from the remote to anything), how come if the tv, vcr etc, is completely covered, would the remote affect it anyway.

Does it function by frequency, so it wouldn't matter if I covered up the tv and vcr on the right?

I just put a brand new VCR that a friend had up in her closet and never took out of the box. I bought it from her and it works perfectly. It's exactly like the one it replaced.

I don't understand why the remote would affect a vcr that is completely covered by a cardboard box and then a towel.

And if I'm mistaken, and a remote works by frequency so a cardboard box and towel won't make a difference, then how come nothing like that happened in 5 years. I always had the same kind of VCRS recording and playing and used one remote and it never interferred with the running of the vcr on the right?

What kind of thing can I place over the VCR and tv so the remote can't possibly interfere?

If any of you are engineers out there, here is your chance to shine.

And I'm not getting any dvr thing so don't tell me to upgrade etc.

I'm perfectly happy with my vcrs, they all work just fine but I would like to still have them side by side. It makes for easy operation.

Thanks much

Melody

Jomar 01-19-2011 11:42 PM

Sometimes our remotes will work even if aimed away from the TV ...but I can't say if it would or wouldn't if the infrared portal area was covered.

MelodyL 01-20-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 736672)
Sometimes our remotes will work even if aimed away from the TV ...but I can't say if it would or wouldn't if the infrared portal area was covered.

ooooooh, infrared portal.

going to go and check on that right now.

Love you

Melody

MelodyL 01-20-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Jo, I just did the most interesting experiment. I sat down in front of the two vcrs. Turned both on.

I put a piece of metal in front of the remote (so there would be no line of site) I pressed POWER, and the two VCR's went off.

So even behind a metal thing, the remote will control both vcrs.

I then took a BIG pillow (No cardboard cover on the right one at this point), and I propped the pillow so it just stood against the right set-up.

the remote had no effect on the right vcr.

Now I don't know what this means, but I don't need the cardboard box anymore. I'll just prop a big pillow on the nightstand so it covers the entire right set-up, and I'll be good to go.

I did not find the sensor thing on the vcr. Don't even know what it looks like. I would like to know where it is.

Going to do a search on google to find out where the sensor is on a vcr.

Thanks for your help

Melody

MelodyL 01-20-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Well I solved it.

I had two things to solve. The changing of the cable box channels because I use the same cable remote to change cable channels.And finding the solution to my vcr remote problem.

I had this big giant cardboard box (with cutout) to fit over the whole right set-up. That worked fine, but ever since I replaced the vcr on the right, my remote would always affect the right vcr no matter WHAT cover I put in front of it, on top of it, over it, under it, etc. NO MATTER WHAT I DID.

So I just sat there devising ways to cover the panel of the vcr. I know I would have to still use the cardboard box because I don't want to change the cable channel.

so what did Melody do about the VCR?

I remembered that when I PROGRAM the vcr and select timer, it locks up the whole system so it will turn on, record and shut itself off.

And I know that the only way I can INTERRUPT this process is to press PLAY AND STOP and the same time.

So all I have to do when I want to record ANYTHING, is I have to rememember that I can't just press record. If I just press the record button, the VCR on the right will record and anytime I try and use the remote on the LEFT set-up, even though I have things in place to interrupt the remote signal, the remote will still be able to control the VCR because it has nothing to do with line of site.

But....when I PROGRAM the VCR and it starts to record, the remote will have absolutely no effect, UNLESS I STOP THE PROCEEDINGS BY PRESSING POWER AND STOP.

So from now on, I shall program my vcr to record anything I wish, put the cover on top of the whole thing (so the cable box won't switch channels), and I shall be able to lie on my bed at night, use my remote (both cable and vcr,) change channels, watch a recording, stop the recording and it won't affect the right VCR.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'm Macguyver!!!lol

You should have seen me with aluminum sheeting, plastic cutouts, cardboard, FOAM, I tried everything. The signal went through.

I am now back to being able to enjoy my shows.

Life is good.
lol lol lol

Melody

MelodyL 01-20-2011 06:35 PM

I WAS WRONG.

Problem NOT solved.

Today, I was watching a recording on my left tv, and my right vcr turned on, started taping All My Children, and in 5 minutes, as soon as I hit the stop button (while I aimed it at the left set-up) I knew immediately that the right vcr stopped recording. I checked and I was right.

So not even programming it will stop the remote from working on the right set-up.

So if anyone knows what I can buy to fit around the vcr so the remote can't reach it, I would really appreciate it.

I feel like going out and buy lead sheeting or something.

lol

Melody

Jomar 01-20-2011 08:33 PM

If you can find where the infrared sensor is .. what about layers of tape over that -electrical tape or duct tape - masking tape might get dried out and messy - maybe the signal is getting around & between any gaps in the boxes/towels etc??

The manual should show exactly where it is if you can't find it.
or google online for the brand/ model and find the manual that way.

they are usually right on the front, a small smooth section.

That's about the only thing I can think of.

MelodyL 01-20-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 736941)
If you can find where the infrared sensor is .. what about layers of tape over that -electrical tape or duct tape - masking tape might get dried out and messy - maybe the signal is getting around & between any gaps in the boxes/towels etc??

The manual should show exactly where it is if you can't find it.
or google online for the brand/ model and find the manual that way.

they are usually right on the front, a small smooth section.

That's about the only thing I can think of.

Okay!!!!!!, I have the manual. I found the remote sensor. It's right on the front of the panel (right next to the time indicator). Earlier I tried putting aluminum foil, and other stuff right on top of the whole vcr. But now that I know exactly where the remote sensor is, I'll put some tape directly over it. Maybe some black electrical tape.

Got to try SOMETHING.

lol
thanks much
Melody

Lara 01-21-2011 12:55 AM

... otherwise wouldn't a universal remote work? Just guessing.

MelodyL 01-21-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 737007)
... otherwise wouldn't a universal remote work? Just guessing.

First of all, I AM using a universal remote. Says so on the remote.

Second, and think about it. Let's say I go to my local store and buy another universal remote and program it to use on the left vcr.

The left VCR is the same as the right vcr.

So any remote that works on the left one would work on the right one.

What I need is some kind of material, some kind of sheeting, some kind of SOMETHING that I can place in front of the panel 9on the right VCR),that would interrupt the frequency (because obviously it's not line of site).

So if any of you (and I bet none of you have ever faced this dilemma), well, if any of you know any engineers, or frequency experts LOL LOL LOL

Well, I am not going to stop until I find the answer and be assured, I'll post it here.

lol

Thanks much

Melody

Lara 01-21-2011 03:16 PM

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Hand Held Remote Controls
Version 2.94

Where Multiple Pieces of Equipment Use the Same Codes

Good luck, Melody. lol

MelodyL 01-21-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 737162)
Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Hand Held Remote Controls
Version 2.94

Where Multiple Pieces of Equipment Use the Same Codes

Good luck, Melody. lol

wow, they actually had an answer to my problem.

And if you think I understood one word of what I just read "changing the light frequencies, changine wavelengths, ??????????

Should have went to remote school.

I am going to go back and read all the information that was in your link.

Hey, you never know.

I AM a kind of Macguyver!!!!

lol
Melody

Lara 01-21-2011 07:17 PM

Hey Melody, I just did something to find a simple answer for you that I wouldn't do for many people. LOL I phoned my ex-husband. :icon_twisted:

He can't understand that it would still work when it's covered up properly either.

He's sold electrical equipment for nearly all his life, and his father before him. He said some of the newer, more expensive Panasonics have a function on the remote where you can set your priority. e.g. could made one VCR No 1, the other No 2, and so on.

However, he said if you can't do that then what he usually does with his DVD players side by side, is just grab a magazine, or a leaflet, brochure, junk mail, anything, and fold it over the front and just lift up the machine and rest the legs on it so it's quite tight. Works for him. Has to be really tight though. I wouldn't use material like a towel.

He also said you could turn it sideways but said that there are so many variables that may not work. He said the remote might still bounce off the walls but that depended on a lot of things too, like how shiny the paint is etc.. Beats me.

Anyway, that's what he does with his multiple, same model DVD players. Just a magazine or a brochure. He said it works for him and it's easy to remove when you want to use the player.

Basically he can't understand that if your one player is covered up properly that it could still work like that either.

MelodyL 01-21-2011 10:08 PM

wow, here's a hug for calling your ex. :hug:

And please thank him for his help. When you say fold a magazine over the vcr, well, that is not ideal because I use this vcr every single day and record on it every single day. I don't watch the tapes on it because the right set-up is only used for recording. So I'd be putting the magazine over it, and taking it off and it would drive me nuts.

However, I did HAVE A IDEA. While I was reading the information on that link you provided, it indicated that light and colors have an effect.

You know those old 3 d glasses (this is just for an example), You know when one side is red an the other side is blue? Well I don't have an of those, but what if I went to a stationery store and bought a few pieces of various colored transparent papers? What if I do an experiment by putting the red transparent paper in front of the panel. Let's see if the remote won't get through.

And if the red doesn't work, I'll try other colors. Or I'll put several colors together. Since remotes work by frequencies and light and colors, WELL... IT'S A SHOT!!

And tell you husband that the remote worked THROUGH A TOWEL, THROUGH A PIECE OF STEEL, THROUGH A PILLOW, etc.

I must have a super remote!!

lol
melody

Lara 01-22-2011 03:21 AM

Oh gosh, good luck with that then.

In my last message I said "some of the newer, more expensive Panasonics have a function on the remote where you can set your priority. e.g. could made one VCR No 1, the other No 2, and so on."

I should have said ''some of the later models". Not "newer". :o

Have you tried the other remote?

Have you got a booklet to explain the Universal remote you are using at the moment?

You always have the most complex and unusual things going wrong, Melody. :D

MelodyL 01-22-2011 09:33 AM

Hi.

You said: "You always have the most complex and unusual things going wrong, Melody."

You got that right!!!!

lol

And I know about the remote thing with programming it to have vcr 1 and vcr 2, or A and B. I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

But you know me. I'LL LEARN HOW!!

And I will try and find the colored transparencies.

I'll make a video if I find that they work.

lol
Melody

Sheltiemom18 01-22-2011 03:52 PM

Melody,

Sorry, but I'm not a "technical" person. But in reading your last post, think it might be worth a try for you to use the remotes that your cable company provided and the ones that came with the TVs.

Didn't read this entire thread, so don't know if you've been in touch with the tech support guys/girls.

My husband constantly messes up his TV/VCR viewing because he thinks he has to use remotes that have no business being used.

I've stuck only with the remote that the cable company gave me and the remote that came with the VCR. Never had one single problem.

Granted I only have one TV and VCR that I'm dealing with, but if you keep everything separated, that might be your answer - including getting a second cable box.

Good luck,

Sheltiemom

MelodyL 01-22-2011 09:37 PM

Okay, here's a good question for you. Even I programmed the cable remote to use the vcr, IT WOULD AFFECT THE VCR ON THE RIGHT BECAUSE IT'S THE EXACT SAME PANASONIC VCR.

So using the cable remote would do the same thing . Using any remote on the left would also affect the right vcr. They are exactly the same. Same panasonic, same everything.

And you suggest getting a second cable box. Why would I do that? I already have two in my bedroom. The set-up on the left, and the set-up on the right.

I use the right set-up ONLY for recording (so I am free to either watch a tape or record on the left set-up.

I have a total of three cable boxes in my house. The other one is in the living room (also attached to a vcr and that's where Alan watches tv.

So in summation. 3 cable boxes, 3 vcrs (all the same), and 3 tv's

Hope I cleared this up.

Actually, while typing all of this, I myself got confused.

lol

Melody

Rickey 01-23-2011 11:19 AM

Hi Melody,
You are definitely MacGyver material. I would think that the universal remote you use could be programmed to recognize 2 different VCRs even though the VCRs are identical that is if it’s not too old. We have Dish Network setup in our house in the living room and the bedroom with identical DVRs. I am a channel surfer; my wife likes to watch soap operas in the bedroom. I guess the cat got on my remote in the living room one time and reset it. The wife was enjoying her shows in the bedroom and all of a sudden she comes storming into the living room where I was channel surfing and said that her DVR was possessed. It just keeps changing channels without her even touching the remote. We called tech support and they helped me reprogram my remote so it only worked on my TV in the living room. So that proves that the signal from a remote will go through walls and everything.

Sheltiemom18 01-23-2011 11:20 AM

Was only suggesting. As I said, am not a technical person and didn't read the entire thread as it really does make one's eyes cross. So didn't know you already had two cable boxes going plus another one.

Adios,

Sheltiemom

MelodyL 01-23-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheltiemom18 (Post 737733)
Was only suggesting. As I said, am not a technical person and didn't read the entire thread as it really does make one's eyes cross. So didn't know you already had two cable boxes going plus another one.

Adios,

Sheltiemom

Hey, I'm grateful for ANY suggestions, but I know that any remote that works on the left will also affect the right one. So my plan is to try and find a way to shield the sensor from my remote, so that when I hit play or stop or ff on my left vcr, it won't have any impact on my right vcr.

I WAS thinking of moving the 2nd tv and vcr and cable box across to the other side of the room, but now that I found out that remotes can operate through walls, well, I'm not moving anything until I know for sure that it won't impact the second vcr.

This was simpler when I had a Panasonic on the left and a JVC on the right.

But the JVC broke and then I got this brand new beautiful Panasonic so I put it on the right.

Things would be much simpler in my life if I could get a dvr but my husband is having none of that. He can't even use a vcr correctly. He just knows how to press play. He calls me in to press the record button. You just can't press record, you have to walk over, press the record button, and the play button and if you press it the wrong way it doesn't work.

I figured out how to work it. It's an old vcr, and it works fine (as long as I do it).

lol
Sigh!!!!

Mel

MelodyL 01-24-2011 08:34 PM

hi All

I thought you would all be fascinated to learn about my latest experiment. I went to the local store that sells all kinds of stationery and they sold various colors of transparent folders. I bought 6 for under $2.00

I cut them to fit over the front panel of the vcr. I got all excited because the colors were purple and orange. So picture 6 pieces of transparent plastic sheeting in purple and orange.

So I sat down in front of the vcr and pressed play.

The tape played. So that was a no-go.

I then rearranged the colors. Same story. The remote worked even through all those colored things.

Then, I had to program it to go on at 1 p.m. and tape my soaps.

I used the 6 colored things, over which I placed the cardboard box. I figured, this remote won't get through.

As I'm pressing the play option on my remote (I was watching a movie on the left vcr), all of a sudden I heard a noise on the right one.

The remote got through.

I immediately took off the cardboard box, lifted up the 6 plastic things, pressed the record button, replaced the 6 plastic things, put the cardboard box over the right set-up, took a thick towel, placed it over the cardboard box and then took a blanket and placed it over THE WHOLE THING, warning it that if it dared to NOT WORK, I would then shoot it.

So far so good.

So from now on, I have to use 6 colored transparent plastic sheets, a cardboard box, a thick towel and a blanket.

SO I CAN RECORD.

I never laughed so hard in my life.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm getting a dvr

lol

Melody

Lara 01-25-2011 03:20 AM

You ever have a Rubik's cube, Melody?
You would be so good with that.
You persevere.
Never give up. lol

:hug:

MelodyL 01-25-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 738285)
You ever have a Rubik's cube, Melody?
You would be so good with that.
You persevere.
Never give up. lol

:hug:

I have had MANY a Rubik's cube. Never could master any one of them.

I love that when I go on youtube, there are 10 year old kids who do this in one minute flat.

Their minds are like puzzle solvers (like autistics). They can look at a Rubik's cube, know how many steps it will take to solve it, and bingo, they do it.

I even saw a guy do it under water.

I wish he would come to my house and solve my remote problem.

lol lol lol

Melody

Rickey 01-25-2011 09:40 AM

I think Melody would make a good "Rocket Scientist".
She definitely has the determination to succeed.
Don't give up on that VCR Melody.
Someday soon, you will prevail.

MelodyL 01-25-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlj1959 (Post 738345)
I think Melody would make a good "Rocket Scientist".
She definitely has the determination to succeed.
Don't give up on that VCR Melody.
Someday soon, you will prevail.

If I used the brains I was given (when I was young), well I would have had a different outcome.

But I say "BETTER LATE THAN NEVER"

So I am at the stage of my life where I like to learn, I have two god legs, so I can walk, my brain still functions, so I CAN learn, and I'll go down fighting.

I really thought that the various colors would interrupt the signal being transmitted from the sensor to my remote. I really thought this. I said; "Well we are talking light spectrum (learned that from Star Trek), lol, "we are talking frequencies "learned that from Star Trek too), etc.

I thought that if I put colors in front of the panel on the VCR that THEN my remote would have no effect.

Boy was I wrong.

Maybe it's the towel, the cardboard box, and the blanket?

lol

And since I'm the only person I know that even uses a vcr (all my friends in my age group, not only do NOT use a vcr, they don't use dvd players, computers, dvr's, etc. or they do have cable, and their cable box is a dvr and when I ask them "what do you use your dvr for?" I am hit with "What the heck is a dvr?"

When one of my friends said that to me I responded "What do you mean, what is a dvr, you have a dvr right on top of your tv, it's your cable box, and you can record anything you want because your dvr is a sort of hard drive and it's like a mini computer sitting on top of your tv and you don't need tapes, or anything, you can just program it and you can even program a whole series of episodes and you can watch them whenever you wish"?

This is the response I got:

"A hard drive? what the heck is that?, I have a mini computer in that thing?, really??, why would I need to record episodes of anything?", and I think you're wrong because this is a cable box"

I was even asked to hook up someone's phone once and asked the person to bring me a phone line so I could connect the phone to the wall jack.

He came out with an extension cord. I said "are you serious?" and he said "oh, you can't use this?" I said "it's an extension cord for god's sake, are you serious?"

I got a blank stare. Then he brought out ALL THESE WIRES AND LINES AND CORDS that he has collected over the years and says 'pick one"

I found what I needed.

So that's why I learn whatever I need to learn, and I try to rig up stuff when I don't know how to rig up stuff.

I'm going to find out how to fix this remote problem, or I will shoot the sensor (oh I wonder if I can remove the sensor???) lol

Probably not!!!

lol
melody

Rickey 01-25-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 738366)
If I used the brains I was given (when I was young), well I would have had a different outcome.

But I say "BETTER LATE THAN NEVER"

So I am at the stage of my life where I like to learn, I have two god legs, so I can walk, my brain still functions, so I CAN learn, and I'll go down fighting.

I really thought that the various colors would interrupt the signal being transmitted from the sensor to my remote. I really thought this. I said; "Well we are talking light spectrum (learned that from Star Trek), lol, "we are talking frequencies "learned that from Star Trek too), etc.

I thought that if I put colors in front of the panel on the VCR that THEN my remote would have no effect.

Boy was I wrong.

Maybe it's the towel, the cardboard box, and the blanket?

lol

And since I'm the only person I know that even uses a vcr (all my friends in my age group, not only do NOT use a vcr, they don't use dvd players, computers, dvr's, etc. or they do have cable, and their cable box is a dvr and when I ask them "what do you use your dvr for?" I am hit with "What the heck is a dvr?"

When one of my friends said that to me I responded "What do you mean, what is a dvr, you have a dvr right on top of your tv, it's your cable box, and you can record anything you want because your dvr is a sort of hard drive and it's like a mini computer sitting on top of your tv and you don't need tapes, or anything, you can just program it and you can even program a whole series of episodes and you can watch them whenever you wish"?

This is the response I got:

"A hard drive? what the heck is that?, I have a mini computer in that thing?, really??, why would I need to record episodes of anything?", and I think you're wrong because this is a cable box"

I was even asked to hook up someone's phone once and asked the person to bring me a phone line so I could connect the phone to the wall jack.

He came out with an extension cord. I said "are you serious?" and he said "oh, you can't use this?" I said "it's an extension cord for god's sake, are you serious?"

I got a blank stare. Then he brought out ALL THESE WIRES AND LINES AND CORDS that he has collected over the years and says 'pick one"

I found what I needed.

So that's why I learn whatever I need to learn, and I try to rig up stuff when I don't know how to rig up stuff.

I'm going to find out how to fix this remote problem, or I will shoot the sensor (oh I wonder if I can remove the sensor???) lol

Probably not!!!

lol
melody

As they say in the movies, YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Jomar 01-25-2011 12:31 PM

Mel,
That story is funnier than all get out LOL:D

whispers 01-26-2011 03:27 PM

I am so confused. I can't even think of a reply. Since the change from analog to digital, my VCR has done all kinds of things. At first, we could record if we were watching that same channel... Big advantage! Now, if I try, the Cable takes over to record and I have no control of the TV. Also, I have no freaking idea where (or if) the Cable recorded anything.

"Confused in TV Land and not liking it"...:mad::(

MelodyL 01-26-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancinginthesun (Post 738849)
I am so confused. I can't even think of a reply. Since the change from analog to digital, my VCR has done all kinds of things. At first, we could record if we were watching that same channel... Big advantage! Now, if I try, the Cable takes over to record and I have no control of the TV. Also, I have no freaking idea where (or if) the Cable recorded anything.

Okay, first things first, when you say "I have no idea if the cable recorded anything" I assume you are talking about the Cable BOX??

Is your cable box a dvr? It really shouldn't matter. If your VCR is set to channel 3 (like all of mine are),and let's say you want to tape American Idol, which is shown on Channel 5, you would put your cable box on Channel 5 and and press the record button on your VCR. And you should the be recording American Idol. So when you put your cable box on a particular channel, and press the record button on your vcr, IT SHOULD BE RECORDING.

Is this not happening?

melody

pooh_ac 01-31-2011 06:53 PM

Mel, did you try just plain old black electricians tape over the sensor on the new VCR that you do not want to change??:)
Just asking:hug:z

MelodyL 01-31-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancinginthesun (Post 738849)

Someone just posted a question asking me if I used Black electrical tape over the sensor. I got an email notification about this question but when I tried to find it on this forum, it dissappeared.

But here's my answer.

Haven't tried it (at least I don't think I did). I have tried so many things, I forgot what I tried already. lol

I don't have any black tape left, but it's worth a shot. I'll buy some tomorrow (oh, I don't think I'm going anywhere tomorrow because we are supposed to be hit with the blizzard of the century for the next two days)

But so far, I have my cardboard box and a pillow propped up against the whole thing. That works.

thank god

Melody

pabb 02-05-2011 03:35 PM

oh melodious one......lol
I am wondering if you are getting a bounce on the light beam?perhaps the beam from the remote is bouncing off of something and sneaking under the covers, and when you put a LARGER cover it couldn't do that anymore?

MelodyL 02-05-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabb (Post 741726)
oh melodious one......lol
I am wondering if you are getting a bounce on the light beam?perhaps the beam from the remote is bouncing off of something and sneaking under the covers, and when you put a LARGER cover it couldn't do that anymore?

Hi. Melodious one here!!

I don't know about any light beams. The only beams I know about are the beams in Star Trek when Captain Kirk said "Beam me up 'Scotty"

Any other beams, well I don't know NOTHING about beams and light!!!!

However, I have made progress. Now, when I want to watch on the left and record on the right, not only do I use the cardboard thing which fits over everything, but I have an aluminum cookie sheet that I prop up against it and THEN I PLACE A PILLOW IN FRONT OF THE ALUMINUM COOKIE SHEET.

Nothing is beaming anywhere.

lol lol lol lol

Melody

pabb 02-05-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 741778)
Hi. Melodious one here!!

I don't know about any light beams. The only beams I know about are the beams in Star Trek when Captain Kirk said "Beam me up 'Scotty"

Any other beams, well I don't know NOTHING about beams and light!!!!

However, I have made progress. Now, when I want to watch on the left and record on the right, not only do I use the cardboard thing which fits over everything, but I have an aluminum cookie sheet that I prop up against it and THEN I PLACE A PILLOW IN FRONT OF THE ALUMINUM COOKIE SHEET.

Nothing is beaming anywhere.

lol lol lol lol

Melody

lololol.... the remote emits a 'beam' of light, that is what i am talking about....
I am wondering if it was ricocheting off of some other surface and hitting the spot on the front of the VCR...and since you blocked a LARGER area, it can no longer do that????? whatever works!

MelodyL 02-05-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabb (Post 741785)
lololol.... the remote emits a 'beam' of light, that is what i am talking about....
I am wondering if it was ricocheting off of some other surface and hitting the spot on the front of the VCR...and since you blocked a LARGER area, it can no longer do that????? whatever works!

Oh heck, I know the remote emits a beam of light, but is there a way to see if this beam is bouncing off of anything? I really don't think I can ever find this out.

but today I did something cool. Since I watch tv on the LEFT thing, I was laying on the bed and because my bed is somewhat higher than my tv, vcr, etc, I found that when I aimed the vcr remote at the vcr to fast forward, well, I had to sit up to get this done.

I immediately had an AHA moment and said "Oh, I have to raise the vcr and tv up HIGHER.

So what was I to do? I had to find something big, flat and sturdy to place the vcr and tv on. My tv sits on my vcr and the cable box sits on the tv.

Been this way for 20 years. No problems.

So today I went up in my closet, found an old flatbed scanner that I no longer use, IT IS THICK. I said PERFECT.

I carefully moved the cable box, tv and vcr around, put the flatbed scanner on top of the tv stand, then I placed everything ON TOP of the flatbed scanner.

VOILA!!!! Higher tv and vcr up in the air and now I can lay there, aim my remote and no problems.

They should have named a tv show after me.

Melody Maguyver!!!!!

lol

snookie12303 02-05-2011 10:09 PM

three to four layers of hospital tape over sensor area works on my electronics. keeps the signal from being received by your machine.

MelodyL 02-06-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snookie12303 (Post 741814)
three to four layers of hospital tape over sensor area works on my electronics. keeps the signal from being received by your machine.

Oh, Now I'm excited.

What the heck is hospital tape??

lol

Melody

whispers 03-11-2011 08:26 AM

Sorry it took so long (re:VCR)

With the VCR on 3 and the Cable Box on 3, it will record 3. With the Cable Box on 5, it will record 5, so long as we don't decide to watch another channel at the same time...

MelodyL 03-12-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancinginthesun (Post 752056)
With the VCR on 3 and the Cable Box on 3, it will record 3. With the Cable Box on 5, it will record 5, so long as we don't decide to watch another channel at the same time...

I know that it will only record the channel on the cable box. I've had cable boxes for over 20 years. What I need to know is how to block the VCR signal.

I constructed something new. I took some Reynolds Wrap silver foil. I then took some cardboard. I covered the cardboard with the silver foil. I then cut out the opening of a box. So I don't cover the top of the cable box, I cut out the top of the box.

So I have a piece of a box covering the whole thing (with opening up on top), and on the front there is this silver foil. Kind of looks like the aliens landed on my tv set. Didn't work. The vcr remote still affects the right set-up.

so I now am recording something and I have a pillow propped up to completely cover the right set-up.

That works just fine.

So my remote goes through everything but pillows??

lol

Melody