NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   How did your pet get... (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/1547-pet.html)

Rocking4Epilepsy 09-24-2006 06:38 PM

How did your pet get...

his/her name?
How did you decide on what to name him/her?

Our dog is named PO after the Teletubbies
Cat is Ayha because my son was 1 when we got him and that is what he called him and we went with it.

Two birds I can't remember...
Love bird is Telly after sesame street
Finch is beep beep because it always says beep beep

Hugs

Jyes 09-24-2006 06:55 PM

Our dog is easy, Shorty - Shorty name from prior owner, but also very appropriate for a Corgi :) My nickname for him is Smilin George

Cats - Munch is short for Munchkin, she was the runt of the litter, but I like to think of Munch being she likes to munch on my hand :)

- Dillon - we had two kittens at the same time, one was called Miss Kitty, so it was only appropriate to name our male kitten Dillon - if you remember a certain TV show

- Hidey - easy one, she was a dumped unwanted kitten, I live at the end of a deadend street and someone dumped her there, for a week she lived in a brush pile at the end of the street, and I finally caught her after many attempts. So since she was always hiding and still does in our house the name fit. My nickname for her is "Brushpile kitty" :)

Jyes

Chemar 09-24-2006 07:32 PM

Millie=Millenium cos we got her in Jan 2000

Snowball.......my son took one look at the tiny little white ball of fluff and beamed her name out

Gravy, Snowball's daughter is a gray tabby

before that we had our dearly missed feline friends:

Snowy and Igloo, Snowball's other 2 daughters whom she has outlived

Moonface who had big yellow full moon eyes in a black face (Snowball's son)

BatCat....yep you guessed....,.looked like he was wearing BatMan's mask (Snowball's son)

Odette cos my husband said she reminded him of Proust's Odette in Remembrance of Things Past

Nelson...in honor of Nelson Mandela

Jellaq....a marvellous jellicle cat

oh the wonderful memories just came flowing back:)

Julie 09-24-2006 08:28 PM

Simba is Robert's kitty and he was named after the Lion King.

Ranger is Michael's kitty and he named him after the Power Rangers

Bitsy is actually Princess Bitsy because for some dumb reason I thought as Himalayan she'd be some royal beauty...she's just dumb as dirt.

Poochy was named Brooklyn by the staff at CAPS...I wanted to name her Honey, but Michael named her Poochy.

jingle 09-24-2006 08:52 PM

Kittens Jingle and Belle came to live with us early on Dec. 26, 1987. They were in a wicker basket decorated with fake holly and plaid ribbons which was carried by DH's boss and his wife.
I think the date they came into our hearts shows how they got their names.

Jingle is still with us but we lost dear Belle this spring -- just after I had breast surgery and learned that my brain tumor had been malignant.

Snoopy 09-25-2006 07:09 AM

Chrissy ~ she needed a name that sounded "girlie" and "delicate."

Bear ~ it just fit his personality ~ he was on the smaller side so we did get looks when calling his name.

Mickey ~ she was whining when we were bring her home so to keep her happy my dh started singing the mickey mouse song to her and the name stuck.

Midnight ~ she's a black cat:rolleyes:

Sassy ~ Her registered name...Krisna Kala, it means mouthy

Doody 09-25-2006 02:51 PM

Well I won't go into any of them but the current companions. Too many precious ones gone. One very recent and my heart is still broken. That was my long-haired tortie, Sweetie Pie.

I have 3 cats.

Tink (orginally titled 'Cleo' and then Stinker). My daugther and I adopted Tink 15 years ago and at that time the vet guessed her to be a couple of years old. She was found just roaming around. My daughter wanted to name her Cleo (something about a goldfish I think, not sure). But when we took her home it was so funny.

The first week or so when we came home she would be cowering in her litter box - she was very frightened. Well now, I try to keep my litter boxes clean but geesh, you can only lay around in one for so long, ya know!? So she was stinky. And we started calling her Stinker.

As she has grown into her senior years I have given her back her dignity by just calling her Tink. She is all black with long fur and very loving. She lives now to sleep, eat, give and get love. I think she's about 17.

Chewie (Chewbaca). Chewie is a polydactyl. You would adore this cat. Of all the times to find a cat, we found Chewie on an evening of a day my Sammy had been hit by a car and died. I was beside myself. My daughter and son-in-law came to stay with me I was so beside myself in grief.

A flash of fur went running by and my daughter chased it, finally coaxing it out from under the car. And she brought him to me and said, "MOM, look at him! I'm sure an angel sent him this way for you!" Yah sure, can't you see I'm grieving.

But upon further investigation of course I couldn't resist him and we discovered his feet looked odd. Well the little guy had (has) 6 big toes on each front foot and 7 big toes on each back foot, and 2 pads on each foot.

In other words, his feet are HUGE! And he has thick thick fur. We named him Chewbaca. He's an extremely large black and white cat. Has trouble with his feet and has a limp. He was very damaged when we found him. The vet guessed him at 7 weeks old. Now he's about 4-1/2 yrs old.

Annie. Annie just because she looks like an Annie to me. A feral. Just happened to be hanging around my porch each day and she was mighty skinny. Couldn't get anywhere near her. Put food and water out each day and she'd eat it. It took weeks, but finally got her to let me touch her nose. It was getting cold. Winter coming on. She was pregnant and I couldn't stand it, so I managed to catch her and brought her in. Been an indoor cat since. She had 3 beautiful little kittens and then got fixed. She's about 4 now.

So, right now I just have my 3 cats. You can see them here.

Kira 09-25-2006 11:01 PM

Well, their "real" names aren't that interesting... just "people" names that seemed to fit them.

The real story is in their various nicknames.

Archie (a Bichon Frise) is no longer with us. But my stepdad used to call him "Archie Bunker," which got abbreviated to "Bunker," which somehow morphed into "Dunker."

Toby (a Golden Retreiver mix) will turn 2 in October but is still very much a puppy. A BIG puppy (83 lbs), but a puppy nonetheless. My mom started talking to him in baby-talk and saying stuff like "Toby, wooodoo (would you) come in pleeeeease?" "Toby, wooodooo knock it off?" etc. Somehow she started calling him "Toby WooDoo," which turned into "WooDoo." Also the obvious "Tobe," short for Toby. I mostly call him "Toby" or "Tobe," though.

We had a dog named Dakota when I was a kid. He was a big, hyper shepard/lab mix. The only nickname he had, I think, was Kota, which is obvious where that came from.

Other pets... I had a string of small mammals, two gerbils, then a dwarf hamster, then a teddy bear hamster. They were: Ramona and Emma (the gerbils), Cowboy (dwarf hamster), and Dorothy (teddy bear hamster). I honestly don't know how I picked the names. I do know that Cowboy ended up being a girl, so that was kinda confusing for her, I'm sure.

I have also had various parakeets throughout the years. When I was a kid, I had a very smart yellow/green parakeet named Najee. We had two parakeets when I was in college, a white one named Sid and a blue one named Sergei. Sergei was named after my brother's then-favorite hockey player, Sergei Federov. Sid was short for "Obsidian," since Sid was plain white and Obsidian is black and somehow we thought that was funny. I had a pair of parakeets a couple of years ago named Monkey and Lucy. My brother named Lucy; I'm not sure why. Then most recently I had a pair of parakeets named Hannah and Maya. They got the nicknames "Hannah Banana" and "Maya Papaya."

I've had a whole bunch of fish, too. Most of them didn't have names. I just gave my fishtank to a friend and her kid a few weeks ago (kid is 4), and he promptly gave them all sorts of names. I can't remember what all he named them, though. All of the danios were named "Fast." One of the coris was named "Sucker Up." The other cori is named "Striped." There are two dwarf frogs in there that he named, too. I can't remember what he called them though.

crytears 09-26-2006 08:47 PM

Funny cats name...

5 Attachment(s)
We named him Tish....a play on words because he was a naughty cat who liked to poop in the house.
He was a huge Siamese cat...stubborn and errogant.
Tish saved my life back in the fall of 1973.
I was sleeping/snoozing with TV on in our apartment bedroom.
We lived in a small apartment complex, ground floor down the street from a pretty seedy area where a larger apartment complex housed all sorts of charachters....some very scarey people too.
It was well past midnight...and my husband was working doing his electronic inventions. My 3 year old son was in his bedroom fast asleep.
Tish was on my bed as he arched his back and groweld loud enough to wake me. He started hissing and groweling as he stared at our open window.
I had sheer curtains but offered minimal privacy, but our back area was fenced, secure and private...or so I thought.
Then I heard a ripping sound at the screen as a knife was slowly cutting the screen.
I stiffled my screams and rolled off my bed.
I craweld into my sons room, again trying to keep quiet as I stepped on Legos in my bare feet.
I peered out into the darkness straining hard as I could trying to see who or what was by my window.
My nose pressed against the screen when all of a sudden a person stood up right in front of me.
Talk about a nightmare come true!
Terrified beyond imagination....I screamed in shear terror.
Luckily this person ran off and climbed over the fencing.
What did this person have in mind for me?
He had a knife....was I going to be raped and killed?
There was a serial rapist in the area....but would I have been his first murder victim...I would have fought him off to the death as I'd been through sexual abuse as a child...then when I was 14 my girlfreinds father kidnapped, drugged and raped me. I continue to suffer the long term effects to this day.
God only knows!~ What if I hadn't had this cat?
He was my favorite cat despite his being a naughty kitten a few times.
But Tish was a fitting name when he did his doody on my sons bed!
I could write a book as I've been through a lot of life experiences.
One time I had a bear stick its head in my window! Talk about terrifying!

We now have 3 cats....one chose my husband to be his best bud. Her name is Tilly-tail, and her other siblings that looks just like her....Princess (she very snobby) and Bitty-Boo.
Tilly-tail has the hair on her tail bobbed so we can tell her apart as she looks just like Princess. All 3 cats are jet black, long hair gold and green eyes.
Bitty-Boo. He's my babay! He snuggles under my covers...often "nips" my legs...but I've curtailed this habit a bit. He knows the word "NO!" and he has 6 toes on each paw, his hind legs are sorta awkward looking... and he still nurses on our 12 year old mama dog Black Lab, Satin.
And we have a very old, very fat Scotty dog named Thistle.
Our very favoritist cat was Mittey. She rode in our car like a dog, went everywhere with us. Coyote got her the afternoon we let her out in our back "yard". Then Coyotes got our horrid nasty mean Tabby cat named Freeway. Freeway was found on her namesake 14 years ago.
She hissed at everyone, even when we petted her.
I had to kennel her when kids company came over.
I always said I'd take her for pet therapy to the Mens Prison....she was the meanest cat! Vet said she had a few screws loose upstairs.
Can't beleive we fed her 2 cans of cat food a day....on top of her dry food. Very spoiled cat!
In the winter we put a heating pad in her weatherized cat-house.
But she kept the mouse population down for us.
The photo is of Mitty all dressed up by my grand monkey...she played "dollies" with Mitty all the time.
I'm also including some photos of just a few of my "family" here on "Witts End Farm"
Blessings, cheryl

always-aching 10-04-2006 06:57 AM

How my furbabies were named . . .

I have two little Minpins. When I went to the breeder, only two little girls were left. I had my heart set on the teenie, tiny little one. She was approximately 10 weeks old and she barely weighed 1.5 pounds. Her sister was twice her size weighing in at 3 pounds. I fell in love with the 1.5 pound little girl -- she was so little and so delicate.

I collect art and antiques and thought the little one, being so small and delicate should be named Tiffany. Of course, I couldn't leave her 3 pound sister behind so I adopted her too. It took me a while to come up with a name for her sister. She went about a week before I gave her a name. After observing her, she reminded me so much of my beautiful Labrador who had passed away the month prior to my adopting the two Minpins. My Labrador's name was Mindy. When I adopted Mindy, her name was actually Gucci. I didn't think Mindy looked like a Gucci and decided to change her name from Gucci to Mindy. So I thought, I can't call the new little one Mindy and decided to honor Mindy by calling the 3 pound little one, Gucci.

That's how Gucci and Tiffany came to be.

spoons 10-06-2006 04:03 PM

How Did Pet Get Name?

I HAVE A RESCUED NEUTERED MALE BISCHON FRISE - MY GIRLFRIEND FOUND HIM IN THE MIDDLE OF A 4-LANE HIGHWAY :eek: SO, AFTER SEARCHING FOR OWNER, I "ADOPTED" HIM, AND I NAMED HIM SCOOTER (AFTER MY ELECTRIC SCOOTER:rolleyes: )

HE IS ADORABLE AND NEVER LEAVES MY SIDE!:) :) :)

spoons

jccgf 10-13-2006 04:01 PM

I actually thought we were being clever to name our Golden Retriever Ginger. It had also been a family name (my dad grew up with a "Ginger"..not a golden), and then with her ginger colored coat...it seemed perfect! Turns out "Ginger" is not very unique for a Golden...lol.

We are about to get a new Wheaten Terrier. Almost made the same mistake by naming it Bailey, and I bet we wouldn't be the first to think of that. (There is an Irish heritage and cream color coat...)

So, I think we've settled on

heheheh.....

I'm going to make a poll, and see what name wins HERE :D.

Cara

jccgf 10-13-2006 10:45 PM

Our pets, in order:

A cat named Toni (after my Nana... Antoinette).

A canary named Henry.(my hubby's childhood dog's name)

A hamster named Henry. (my hubby's childhood dog's name)

Our Golden Retriever Ginger.

A rabbit named Snuggles. (my daughter named...and it was a sweet sweet snuggly rabbit)

A parrot named Cal. (hand me down...already named)

A parakeet named Budgie.

Another parakeet named Bach.

A cockatiel named Beethoven.

A chinchilla named Chinny. (obvious...lol)

A scorpian named ... Sambo (my son named it)

Two rats named Gracie and Roxy. (my daughter's named them)

A goldfish named Goldy. (my son named...a toddler then)

A Gray/Yellow/Orange Tang fish named Doc (and he ate food from our fingers). We named a few others, but I don't remember.

We are downsizing.... One child at home, ONE dog ;).

annelb 10-14-2006 07:31 AM

Wishy - a kitten. I was wishy-washy about taking in a kitty at that time. As we got use to each other the name was shortened to Wish. Sadly, she got out of the house and disappeared.

KC - a Carin Terrier. I got her when she was about 7months old from a woman who did not realize that terriers were so "active". Her name was Kayla's Cupcake and she did not look like a cupcake to me. Took the initials to make her name. She is 10 years now.

Shadow - an older adopted mutt that was always under my feet.

Anne

mrsD 10-14-2006 09:53 AM

OMGosh...

Cara...you had a scorpion? ick ick

two gerbils-- litter mates, one black and white, and one buff with pink eyes....
we named them Inky and Pinky

Our black and white kitty was named when we got her by her original family, so we kept that..it was cute= Oreo

Our middle black cat had ears that tipped down when she was little..so
we called her Tippy. (she grew into this name like we would never believe).

Our oldest cat is very into alpha behaviors, and is all black too.. so she became Sheba. (this is not a very original name for a black cat either.).

When I was a kid, I had a parakeet...named Willie

And our red cocker spaniel then was named Reds

But I have never named a fish, except for Oscar (sorry Doody:p )... we bought him 1 inch long and he grew to own his own tank..he got over 12 inches long! One time when I opened the top to feed him he leaped out and hit me in the chest. I was so startled, and screamed and my husband heard it all the way out in the yard--a ways away-- and came running.:o

Here are the current pics of our 3 cats.
Oreo is first
Sheba second
Tippy 3rd

jccgf 10-14-2006 01:12 PM

Yep, my son had a Scorpian, and "Sambo" had baby Scorpians (but they all died :( ). I guess that makes her Sambina?

Lara, what a beautiful bird a Lorikeet is!

Cara

Ripplegirl99 10-14-2006 10:55 PM

My Seeing Eye Dog Ripple

Ripple- She is a yellow lab. She got her name from Guide Dogs For the Blind in San Rafel Calafornia, Because that is where I got her. All of the dogs in her litter had the letter R for names. The give each litter a letter and think of names for each dog.

Ripple- my Guide dog
Ryder
Rice
Reba
Roseavelt
Those are all the names of the dogs in the litter I think

Ripplegirl99

bizi 10-14-2006 11:11 PM

hey ripple,
you from broadripple in Indy?
hubby's family still live there if you do:)

Cats-
Hobbes- male fluffy charcoal gray cat with white boots and bow tie...very distinguished! Got his name from the prior owners at the animal shelter. He has chronic kidney disease and eats K/D diet dry cat food and is very thin.

Harriet- female calico part siamese...very talkative! WE got her from a neighbor while living in Arizona.....WE got her to keep hobbes company...she likes to eat all of the time and is getting to be a bit heavy..she waddles!

we used to have a cockateal bird named baby that was my brothers bird...he just died one day...very sad....never really knew why......
anyway...

LOVE LOVE LOVE our pets!
they bring us so much joy.
bizi

BlueLakeBlue 10-21-2006 12:24 PM

Hello,

We called our dog Puff, my son was playing with her when she came to us as a 12 week puppy. My son was rolling around the floor with her and said she is just like a puff ball. So the name Puff was born! I did not care for it at first, but her name has grown on me. She is an Shelty mix, (she looks like a small Lassi dog) we got her from animal aid. Her pervious owner took the mother dog and three puppies to the local super market and dropped them in a shopping cart. (How cruel), some people saw what was going on and saved them and called animal aid. We went to our local pet store where animal aid shows the animals they have for adoption. We were luckly the first ones in the store to check out Puff and her brother, we filled out an application, had a home study and they called our vet to see if we would be a good home for her. Animal aid called and said we got the puppy and the lady brought her right over. She loves to go for walks and check out the squirels. When we walk she will look around for them taking her time to look everywhere, even up in the trees. I never had a dog that is obsessed with getting squirles, ground squirles, squirles in the trees and on the ground. When we take a walk in our park, and if no one is around, we see a squirel on the ground we are able to let her off her leash and she runs as fast as she can to catch that squirel. The squirel all ways runs up the tree, then she runs around the bottom of the tree barking at it until we catch up with her and get her leash and tell her lets go catch some more squirels. After our walk she comes home exhausted! She has her halter on and is barking for me to get up and take her for a walk with dad. So more squirel stories later if you like, we have a few.

JD 08-24-2008 04:40 PM

My newest service dog is Dood Caleb Columbo _____ ( insert my last name there) I enjoy giving a few names or such, as purebreds have. (My first was a purebred black Labrador," JHL Figaro.")

He is a Golden Doodle ("Godoodle") so the title Dood

Caleb comes from the Old Testament of the Holy Bible, of 2 who spied out Caanan and brought back good reports, Caleb was the only one of the two who stayed on track for God.

Columbo because after I received him, he went into everything and dragged it out but for seemingly no reason as he just left it there. It reminded me of Detective Columbo who asked all sorts of seemingly meaningless questions and did such crazy things. LOL

BTW After I researched the name Caleb in Hebrew, I found out that it does mean faithful and is thus the word they use for "dog." So it turns out I named my dog, "Dog." lolol

Doody 08-24-2008 05:26 PM

Aw, A Godoodle!!! Don't know them but I bet it is a sweetie. LOL at taking everything out. Columbo fits well! Enjoy your new pooch. :hug:

Momma's Kids 08-24-2008 05:30 PM

Chazz...our 10 yr old jack russell is named after the Chassahowitzka river in Florida where I went fishing on weekends when I lived in Florida.

Coconut...our 3 yr old mini chihuahua is named after a coke commercial because he is dark brown and has this funny personality. He also weighs about 5 pounds and is grown.

Catfish River Rising...call him Catfish Charlie is a rescue dog and was named before I got him. Catfish is a boston terrier and will be 2 years old in November.

Garfield...a rescue cat that is a huge orange ball of fur that is 3 years old and loves to roam the neighborhood and terrorize all the birds.

They each have thier own personality...Chazz is quiet laid back, more like a human that is very wise, if you look in his eyes you can see it. Coconut is still the young up start, likes to cause trouble and expects Chazz to back him up...and Chazz does. Catfish...is young energetic, very protective of his Momma and loves to chew things up and take them outside.

Garfield, is quiet, lovable at his request and the wanderer at heart.

JD 08-24-2008 05:33 PM

Caleb's pic :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doody (Post 353813)
Aw, A Godoodle!!! Don't know them but I bet it is a sweetie. LOL at taking everything out. Columbo fits well! Enjoy your new pooch. :hug:

He doesn't have the curly standard poodle hair, but it swirls when it gets wet. lol It's silky soft though (except along the spine, which can stand straight up when he's protecting.) He'll be 2 on Oct 21 :) He's a good half foot taller than my labrador was.

:) I call him Caleb, unless he's acting out, like trying to play while it's night night time, then he's DOOD CALEB COLUMBO -------!!! :D

Doody 08-24-2008 05:48 PM

LOL well...I especially like the 'dood' part. :hug:

Hi Momma!!! Your companions sound wonderful. 3 dogs and a cat! LOL that is cute. I have 4 cats and a dog. I'm surprised at how well they have gotten used to Bruna. My senior citizen Tink (she's 18 now) wasn't happy at first but she's finally come around.

I also have Chewbaca (Chewie) rightfully named by my daughter after the character in Star Wars. He's HUGE! 28 toes and 2 pads on each paw. His feet are absolutely, categorically gigantic! He is huge and very overweight. Last I checked he was 27 lbs and my vet had a fit. I just cannot get him to lose weight.

And Annie, a feral. She's about 6 and very sweet. And Gracie who is 1-1/2 years old and looks like she's 6 months. That little girl just does not get bigger! Don't know why.

One of my best friends has a Cockapoo? Labradoodle? LOL I can't remember but he's just gorgeous. He's a chocolate brown with a mocha colored nose. She calls him Mocha.

How the heck do you feed 4 cats when you're trying to get one of them to lose weight!? :thud:

CoolAngel26 08-24-2008 10:38 PM

I couldn't resist responding to this thread.

When I was little-we had a cat named "Mistletoe" but,Santa didn't want her to get teased..so,about 2 days later she was renamed "Missy". She was known as the "Christmas cat". :D

Kristin

dahlek 08-25-2008 08:38 PM

While/Altho I am currently

'creatureless'? I do believe that one will find the best name for a good creature by the way that any beast responds to any given 'name'.
All of my creatures [large and small] had prior names before 'finding' me...but they CHOSE the name to answer to on their own. All but one who was older and had an established moniker, and the one- which so happened to have a new name VERY like the one I'd chosen and he'd answered to....Go figger?
Granted each would also answer to some 'pet' names as well, but the main moniker was THEIRS and theirs alone. No mistake about it.
I mean, after all, do you respond to a generic 'HEY YOU"???? I think it's part of their dignity. Oh well. - j

Momma's Kids 08-25-2008 09:14 PM

Doody...my dad has a cat named Tink short for Tinkerbell, male, part bobcat. He is a very overweight cat and mean. He hates kids, and has scratched me about three different times...I just pop him on top of the head. lol My dad lets him get away with everything. lol

Garfield tolerates two of the dogs, but avoids the Boston Terrier. lol I did rescue another Jack Russell, but I found a home for her...she was a terror. lol

PolarExpress 08-25-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doody (Post 353826)
How the heck do you feed 4 cats when you're trying to get one of them to lose weight!? :thud:

If you figure out a way to do that, Doody, let me know, cuz we have the same problem. 4 cats, 1 dog..The youngest cat (and the only girl) was abandoned by her farm cat mom by a litter box on a friends porch. She was only 3 weeks old, very tiny. A calico with a Mickey Mouse shaped gray patch on her side..We named her Squirt. My daughter fed her with a syringe, and she'd crawl up on her shoulder and..well..squirt.:o Now, she's 15 pounds and gives the guys a run for their money. Everyone knows who's in charge. The middle two are brothers, also rescue cats, and part Maine Coon (fortunately they didn't get the huge size). They're both a deep gray, the long haired brother is Shadow (very sneaky, always underfoot). He's nearly deaf and has a high pitched girlie voice :). His brother's the short hair, same color and markings. My daughter named him Smokey. Neither of them have ever bitten or purposely scratched anyone. So sweet. The oldest is an orange tabby called Pumpkin. Besides the color, we got him at Halloween, so it fit.
The dog is a Buff/White Lhasa named Hobbit (short with big hairy feet), and definitely a "Mama's Dog"..

Koala77 08-26-2008 12:53 AM

We had a cat named Esky 'cos he was a fatty and we had to keep putting food into him. Some of our other animals were named after people, or what they looked like.

One bird we had was Smokey because she was blue/grey in colour. Her partner had a black mask so then we had Smokey and The Bandit....(*boom, boom*)

I had a little dog once who was smaller than the palm of my hand so I called her after the biggest monster I could think of....Frankenstein, but shortened it to Frankie. She was ever so cute!

Kacey was named after my father who's initials were K.C., and the list goes on.

Turtle Power 08-26-2008 01:13 AM

I have a 2 year old Japanese Chin named Yoshi. (I just thought he needed a Japanese name)

And I just got a little Fox Terrier puppy last week & named him Tommy. I didn't really mean to, but when I was trying out different names for him, my two year old daughter heard me say Tommy & it stuck. After she started calling him Tommy, I couldn't change it. It's as good a name as any, I guess.

FeelinGoofy 08-26-2008 08:06 AM

We have a very old bunny named Butterscotch which we rescued from a photography studio.... he was used as a prop for Easter pictures and they were going to take him to the pound because the Easter season was over and they had no use for him anymore :eek:

In November a friend of ours had a friend who was moving in with their parents and had to get rid of their dog so we adopted a 9 year old Sheltie named Caspian... He was named from the the C.S. Lewis books "Chronicles of Narnia" specifically "Prince Caspian"

ali12 08-26-2008 01:18 PM

Great topic!!

My Russian Dwarf Hamsters are called Honey and Coco because one really lightly coloured and the other is really dark.

My Springer Spaniel puppy is called Jack - not sure why we called him that but we just loved the name and it seemed to fit with his personallity

My chinchilla is called Tabatha - she was already called that when we adopted her

My Chameleon is called Gizmo because he looks like a Gizmo!!

My African Grey parrot is called Sparky because he was born on Bonfire night and the name Sparky reminded me of the fireworks and sparklers etc.

JD 08-26-2008 02:28 PM

Oh I forgot about my bunny DOH! "Namaste" it's sanskrit for "the energy in me honors the energy in you" type thinking.

He certainly has a personality, and communicates quite well for a bunny! LOL

I got the bunny when my service dog was aged and I knew in his last year or so... and didn't think I would get another one. As it turned out, the bunny and my new dog were born within a week of each other! (And will last about the same number of years...oooo I'm not going to think about that now.)

Peace

lovetherams 09-02-2008 07:04 PM

Hello there. I am new to this board. But I love this thread. I have 4 dogs. I started with Kylie who was a Sheltie. She was my girl for 13 years. It was a cute name that suited her. While she was still alive I got:

Nikki Wikki - female Papillon I raised. She is now 3. She is such a love bug. I just wanted something that rhymed and Wikki just went with Nikki.

Speedy Petey - male Papillon I raised and he is now 2. Little Commander Speedy boy. It really suits him and I was going with the rhyming thread.

Kylie then died of old age. So I adopted:

Gladdie Maddie - grey Italian greyhound female. She is 4. She is so funny and not a thing bothers her. Again with the rhyming theme and it really suits her too.

And last but not least I just a couple of months ago got:

Wyatt Earp - 5 month old red stag Min pin with natural ears. I couldn't think of something to call him and with his sweet and enjoyable but very spirited personality. It really fits him.

That's my little people family. I also have 2 teenage sons Seth and Nate.

Have a great night.

Hugs,

Danielle

Koala77 09-02-2008 08:50 PM

Hello Danielle, and welcome to NeuroTalk.

It's lovely to hear about all of your pets from another pet lover. Our house has been a bit of a menagerie over the years as well, but never quite as much as your's. :D

We don't have any animals at the moment because like your own, our's have died of old age over the years.

Do have a look around the board and feel free to join in any of the forums where you feel comfortable. It's lovely to meet you. I hope you stick around.

weegot5kiz 09-02-2008 11:11 PM

the two adopted cats some sub human tossed them out of a car in front of me anyway, at maybe 4 weeks one Trouble aka trouble lou lou, was to the tops of our drapes, and here after named Trouble, I voiced my opinion on naming it spaz but was veto, I might add they all wished we had named him spaz because this cat in just that walks from rug to floor surface and has to touch it to make sure its solid:Bang-Head: am sure the tossing them did some damage he has a depth perception problem i think and so his sister she jumps on a counter grabs at the end and pulls any and every thing off the cabinet, the clumsiest cat i have ever had

the other one, Toubles sister, was so small vet said after 3 days of no eating she would be lucky to live that night i held her and used a baby's spoon and got her to drink then to an eyedropper she was so tiny fit in palm of my hand and we named her Lucky

our other cat a three legged version was named Angel because of her misfortune of losing a leg

the wolves now ...Cheyenne was named when deb got her
her two pups, that we kept, a female the first born i received her and named her LaDakota aka Dakota
the male well was my shadow and thus named Shadow

I keep seeing this post on the main index page of forums and finally looked, this is neat how our pets get named, thanks have enjoyed reading these

jsrail 09-03-2008 10:47 AM

Our cat is named Liza ("leeza") which my wife named. She is a half Main Coon and half orange tabby. Hates people and keeps to herself except for bringing birds and geckos into the to play with then kill and eat some of.

Our dog is named Samantha and was named by the rescue we got her from. She's an ACD (australian cattle dog) and is just a great loving dog. She has been great with my son since he was an infant (he's now 5 yo). She was abused when they found her in Alabama, but now enjoys a loving home here in Arizona.

We haven't named the large black beetles and the scorpians outside, they're not really good pets! LOL

braingonebad 09-07-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetherams (Post 360311)
Hello there. I am new to this board. But I love this thread. I have 4 dogs. I started with Kylie who was a Sheltie. She was my girl for 13 years. It was a cute name that suited her. While she was still alive I got:

Nikki Wikki - female Papillon I raised. She is now 3. She is such a love bug. I just wanted something that rhymed and Wikki just went with Nikki.

Speedy Petey - male Papillon I raised and he is now 2. Little Commander Speedy boy. It really suits him and I was going with the rhyming thread.

Kylie then died of old age. So I adopted:

Gladdie Maddie - grey Italian greyhound female. She is 4. She is so funny and not a thing bothers her. Again with the rhyming theme and it really suits her too.

And last but not least I just a couple of months ago got:

Wyatt Earp - 5 month old red stag Min pin with natural ears. I couldn't think of something to call him and with his sweet and enjoyable but very spirited personality. It really fits him.

That's my little people family. I also have 2 teenage sons Seth and Nate.

Have a great night.

Hugs,

Danielle

Hi Danielle!

I have a male papillion too, nice to meet another pap person!

Mine is Rudy, he's a rescue. A local agency picked him up from a shelter where he'd been dropped off (a kill shelter, no less :mad:).

He had a different name when I got him, but I thought Patches was awful, considering those people treated him like something patched, worn, disposable.

His eyes are so intense, I decided to name him Rudy after Rudolph Valentino, the old movie star. He literally has eyebrows and he'll raise one when you talk to him.

:p

We adopted a male Pomeranian before that. He's black, and dd named him Ozzy. She's an Ozzy Osbourne fan, and when she found out Sharon loves Poms, that seemed to fit.

My Jenday conure (parrot) is Jake Murphy. Jake because we kept calling names and that was the only one he liked, and Murphy he just started saying one day. I asked if that was his last name and he nodded.

I've been calling him Murphy ever since.

We had his sister, Goldie, until she passed away. When we got her, they looked at each other like they were freaking out because they looked almost identical. Then Goldie said "Murphy?"

And jake said "MURPHY???"

And they yelled Murphy back and forth, it was too funny.

Typical brother and sister, they hated each other.

Jesse the cockatiel did not take sides, but Minnie the lovebird, who detests Jake, LOVED Goldie. When Goldie died, Minnie sat in the corner for a week making the saddest sounds. My heart broke for her. Nothing I could do to get her to eat. I was afraid she'd die, too.

I went in there for days and played music for her, and she is still a little sad. But it seemed to help. Let it Be got me through some tough times, and it seems to soothe her too. She whistles along when I play it. And sometimes I hear her whistling a bit of it in the morning before I feed them.

Doody 12-27-2008 07:22 PM

Well, since I last posted in this thread apparently I gained a cat and a dog!

Most already know about my Bruna. She's a red dachsund and she came with that name and I kept it. She was one of 47 dachsunds rescued from a dilapidated chicken shack high on a bluff in Missouri. Hearts United for Animals, the folks who saved her, said she was the most fearful of all the 47. Plus, they almost couldn't take her. The 'owner' wanted to keep her and her baby, Inga. HUA did some fast talking and got her too. She was the last one to leave that horrible chicken shed and the cage that was bound together by wire. None of those 47 had left their cages ever. It took a lot of tools and time to get them all out of those little cages.

Today she's a happy baby here in my home with my 4 cats. This is Bruna.
And here is her baby Inga.
And, her sister Amalie.

Also, my newest cat baby is Gracie. She's a feisty little girl. She was born on Valentine's day in 2006. I don't think she'll ever get big! She's still the size of a teenage kitty.

My other 3 I posted about are still here with me. Chewie, my polydactyl, Annie, the feral I took in, and Tink, my elder cat. She's 18 yo+.

Koala77 12-27-2008 08:55 PM

Gosh Doody....they're all so adorable. I'm so glad that you rescued these little darlings, and I can see that have a most wonderful, loving home with you.

The last pet we rescued from a similar place, was a long haired German Shepherd male. Unfortunately cancer took him from us while he was still quite young, but he was just beautiful and we loved him so very much.

We adopted cats and kittens as well, and the German Shepherd just loved them. He let them crawl all over him, and he was so very gentle with them all.

Thank you everyone for sharing your pets with us.