NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   FireFox 6 (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/155480-firefox-6-a.html)

Chemar 08-16-2011 08:23 PM

FireFox 6

Is anyone using FF6 released today yet?

Is it working well enough to do the upgrade or should I wait?

Jomar 08-16-2011 08:36 PM

I'm still using 3.16 LOL

but zone alarm just did a major upgrade/update so maybe the new FF will be compatible with the force field browser from ZA.

might test it out later tonight or in the morning
have to pick/freeze some green beans shortly:cool:

Took a quick look for articles about it -
looks like might be best to wait a bit.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs...w=1360&bih=665

Chemar 08-16-2011 09:16 PM

Thanks Jo
yeah I figured prolly best to wait.

I keep getting that annoying popup telling me to upgrade but right now my computer is running so well that I do not want to risk anything that could upset that delicate balance lol and new versions sure have a history of doing that!:rolleyes:

Russell 08-16-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 796452)
Is anyone using FF6 released today yet?

Is it working well enough to do the upgrade or should I wait?

I'm using it now. Works just fine....

Lara 08-17-2011 08:48 AM

6?

lol Not up to that yet.

Going looking now.

Lara 08-21-2011 05:27 AM

It's really great for me!

zygopetalum 08-21-2011 11:10 AM

hard for old ladies

Could someone please give me the definitive answer whether or not FF update is going to disable my Norton? I have looked at some of the info but I see conflicting reports and am not computer literate enough to understand the reasons.

I have Norton 360, FF update said it said it would disable 2.0 (I think) and I think what I don't understand is if 360 is 2.0 updated or a completely different version. It disables the Norton tool bar?

I've read reports new FF not working very well, but they have fixed it? ok...is the FF update pop-up I've had hanging around for a long time going to give me the initial update or the new and improved version? Also Norton wants me to upGRADE, does that have anything to do with this? I read that they were also doing something about the compatibility but that sounds like they want to sell me something.
Thanks, Zygo

Jomar 08-21-2011 11:21 AM

Firefox usually says to check with your security software program provider - to find out about compatibility issues.

I found this about FF5 + Norton - hope it helps - I am staying with the older version of FF for now.
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...635EN&ln=en_US
and this-
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...ix/td-p/515574

I'm still running FF 3.17 due to my security program (Zone Alarm Extreme)- I lose the browser force field protection if I update to the newer FF.

zygopetalum 08-22-2011 12:54 AM

no laughing...

Well I looked at the link and thought I understood it. It said to update Norton first so I downloaded it...then it said to 'execute'....I had no idea what that meant, tried to find it but it was too esoteric, administrative tools? Device manager? Sacrifice a goat? I had no clue. So I decided to just leave it as my Norton runs out in 32 days and I was going to get it from internet provider anyhow and I ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE UPDATE BUTTON ON THE FIREFOX POP UP AND DIDN'T KNOW IF I SHOULD STOP IT AND IT UPDATED. My Norton toolbar is gone, does it matter? Do I still have Norton? I seem to.
I guess when I have to get it from provider there may be issues but hope the guys in India can take care of it?

It is really fast, my computer was becoming gimpy and I'm back to near wireless speeds with my cheapo dial up. Pleas tell me I'm not being infected with computer leprosy as we speak...I suppose I should uninstall it, do the Norton and then redo it? Don't think I can do that.

Thanks, Zygo

Jomar 08-22-2011 11:19 AM

did the execute part have a "OK " or "Run" button? - that usually is what you click for installing.

I found a thread on the Norton site that discusses this in more detail - I'm not familiar with Norton so I don't want to give bad advice.
here is the info that should help you -
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...le/td-p/512370

zygopetalum 08-22-2011 11:49 AM

thanks

Thanks, now I'm really paranoid! lol No, there was no execute or run button, just a window saying download and one saying save I think..don't think I missed one as I was looking for something that simple. Haven't decided if I should try to update Norton on top of FF which is backward and may not work, or if I should call India and see if they can fix it if I get their Norton a month early.

Later: found automatic live update in my Norton stuff (duh..) so did that. Still no toolbar but found FF 'whatever it is I forgot' that said Norton IPS was enabled but tool bar was not, also found a question at Norton site concerning that which said you are still protected with no tool bar SO WHO REALLY CARES ANYHOW!!! I know what its for but haven't really used it anyway. I suppose it was never mentioned that IPS was still on because it was assumed everyone knew it. huh..

Thanks, it does help to vent if nothing else, this makes me feel like I'm having to try to learn to be a mechanic when all I want to do is drive the darn car.
Zygo

Jomar 08-22-2011 12:54 PM

Ok - did you save it or run it?
if you saved it- you can find the location it saved to and then run it.

If you clicked run it should have installed - unless you exited out instead.
then you would have to re download it & redo the update.

It says they are compatible now -
[We have released a compatibility update to bring Firefox 6.0 support to Norton Internet Security 2011 and Norton 360 5.x.

To get the update simply run LiveUpdate from the Main User Interface of your Norton Product. A reboot will be required after the update has been applied.

If you are unable to get the patch, here are a few steps you can take to download the patch:

- Run LiveUpdate continuously until it tells you that there are no updates available.

- Reboot your computer, and then run LiveUpdate - The update may have already been applied by Automatic LiveUpdate.

- Please check the Norton Update Center to ensure you're running the latest version of Norton Internet Security or Norton 360. Most customers with a subscription will be eligible for a free update to the latest version. ] from -
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...ch/td-p/512482

follow their directions and see if that fixes it.

Jomar 08-22-2011 03:20 PM

saw this about the FF6 -
Menu bar re setting
missing tool bars

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...20is%20missing

zygopetalum 08-22-2011 05:31 PM

corrupted

I'm not too brave here, followed instructions of link in your last post, got as far as "Are you sure you want to disable all add ons?" Well, no, not really...

Will that take me to the screen shown in the link or was that an older fix and with the new update I won't even get that screen? I think I'm seeing some older fixes come up and it doesn't look like that is what they are doing with newer one. Paranoia....I saw one current where the person said it worked to go to FF Add On manager and click 'This add on still works', do you think I'll end up there? Tried to get add on manager in tools and just got getpersona.com for wallpaper or something.

Tool bar stops phishing, prevents hackers, etc? Doesn't the rest of Norton do that?
I could just call that poor mad guy in India again...then you get computer illiteracy PLUS a little bit of a language barrier for even more fun. lol
Zygo

Jomar 08-24-2011 03:55 PM

Well I just moved up to FF 5 and my Zone Alarm Browser Force field is compatible with it now... yeahhhh..:D

zygopetalum 08-25-2011 05:37 PM

jo*mar

Are ya zippy?:)

Jomar 08-25-2011 07:26 PM

Oh a bit faster, mainly I'm just happy the ZA browser protection is compatible with it now.

allentgamer 08-25-2011 09:04 PM

I have been using it since it was in Beta, and am updating as they continue Beta in the updates before they release them to the public as updates.

Im actually loving it! I never really liked the toolbars of any sort, and turn them all off anyways. If you know your not browsing in virus laden areas, then why would we need a toolbar to tell us it is safe. When I was using any of the toolbars I never noticed anything different the toolbar did that I wasnt already doing, and the toolbars were just cluttering up my screen as far as I was concerned.

So, so far it has been great! Less clutter at the top of the screen, and a bit faster at the searches. :)

zygopetalum 08-26-2011 03:02 PM

evil plot

Now it wants me to update to FF 6...and I'm not zippy any more.

Also ordered 'fine tune' from IP after I neglected to clean up stuff and computer froze to the point I couldn't open provider welcome page without restart. (haha)
Having second thoughts, should I install it, someone told me it may not be trustworthy and I"ve about learned how to do all the maintenance myself anyhow. Don't know if I can cancel it, probably.
Zygo...sigh

Kitty 08-26-2011 03:27 PM

I just upgraded to FF6 and my computer is running much better now. It had been crawling along.....almost like being on dial-up again.....and someone suggested that I upgrade FF. I did that, did the disk cleanup and restarted and now it's running very well. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by announcing this! :o :p

Jomar 08-26-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zygopetalum (Post 799494)
Now it wants me to update to FF 6...and I'm not zippy any more.

Also ordered 'fine tune' from IP after I neglected to clean up stuff and computer froze to the point I couldn't open provider welcome page without restart. (haha)
Having second thoughts, should I install it, someone told me it may not be trustworthy and I"ve about learned how to do all the maintenance myself anyhow. Don't know if I can cancel it, probably.
Zygo...sigh

A nice free clean up program is Glary Utilities - I've been using it for years now - it has a 1 click maintenance button - or you can go into the separate area's for more advanced settings.
http://download.cnet.com/Glary-Utili...-10508531.html

Chemar 09-01-2011 07:15 AM

well, I upgraded to FF6 by accident....and LOVE it! lol

was real tired last night and ready to shut down when the popup to upgrade started and I accidentally clicked the upgrade now button. Even though I stopped it (I thought)...seems this morning logging on it had upgraded me.

But I am pleased! All bookmarks etc intact and way way faster:)

Lara 09-01-2011 07:20 AM

LOL

Yeah, I told you, "It's great for me".

I love it when things like that happen by "accident" and they work out well. :)

Have no fear. It's great!

mrsD 09-01-2011 07:32 AM

Seems to be working well for us too. Just upgraded on return from vacation.

I appears faster than 5 was. We've had no problems so far.

mrsD 09-01-2011 08:37 AM

There is a nice feature in 6.0.. If you are like us, you may occasionally X out the wrong field and close down everything.
Your tabs are not lost however. Reboot FF and go to history,
and there is a "resume last session". Click on that, and bingo, you are back in business!

Both of us have done this error once since we got back home.
So RESUME is a very useful tool for US! LOL

Kitty 09-01-2011 08:44 AM

I've enjoyed it since I've downloaded it. Took a little while to become used to it but so far it's been great. No troubles.

Do any of you use colorful tabs? I love it since I always have multiple tabs open.

mrsD 09-01-2011 08:45 AM

Yes, we have the color tabs too. But the RESUME session is proving to be the best feature for us.... :Doh:

heebeejeebee 09-02-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 796475)
Thanks Jo
I keep getting that annoying popup telling me to upgrade but right now my computer is running so well that I do not want to risk anything that could upset that delicate balance lol and new versions sure have a history of doing that!:rolleyes:

I always upgrade my software as soon as one becomes available. Things like Adobe Flash and Reader and notorious for people running exploits against them, and you when you have a vulnerable version installed on your machine.

There's a freeware program called Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) that will scan your computer for outdated and end of life programs that I use regularly.

*admin edit* You can google it if you're interested.

Lara 09-04-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 801287)
Yes, we have the color tabs too. But the RESUME session is proving to be the best feature for us.... :Doh:

Just remember that the RESUME session won't work if you have "Never Remember History" clicked in Privacy in Options. !

Lara 10-19-2011 08:03 AM

Had to reinstall windows so had to download FF. Seems I'm up to 8! Looks the same as 7 to me. Hope I'm doing the right thing. :confused:

mrsD 10-19-2011 08:15 AM

We just did the FF update to 7 on the restored laptop! Gosh!

Lara 10-19-2011 08:25 AM

That's why I was wondering...

Seems only a month ago I got 7. I was worried I'd downloaded a dud or something, but heck here I am using it and it seems the same to me. It works! phew

zygopetalum 10-20-2011 09:32 PM

Mine wants to update to 8 too, I just got over the trauma of doing 7.
Zygo