NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Oh, the HORROR!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/159527-oh-horror.html)

Kitty 10-21-2011 08:03 AM

Oh, the HORROR!!!

Got up this morning all ready for my hot cup of coffee and guess what? :mad: The button I press to make my coffee maker brew coffee popped off when I pressed it! :eek: Luckily, the thing still brewed a pot of coffee but I'm out of luck for tomorrow morning. Guess it'll have to be tea for me until I can get another one.

I'm sure I'll cave under the pressure and buy a cheap-o one at Publix until I can get a better one. But the one that just broke was a cheap-o one - well, it was a Mr. Coffee - but it only cost about $20 and it lasted for nearly 2 years.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good model that will last but doesn't require new car financing type payments?

kicker 10-21-2011 08:27 AM

OMG! Condolences.

Kitty 10-21-2011 08:30 AM

This sorta reminds me of when Cindy's coffee maker passed on and she got Joe! :D

tkrik 10-21-2011 10:24 AM

Kelly - Are you able to get the button back on somehow? Or are you able to still push where the button was? That way you can still have coffee tomorrow or hold you over until you get a new coffee maker.

As for brands, we've had both Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker. We just got a new one as our old one stopped brewing (Mr. Coffee). We got a Black & Decker one and so far like it. DD21 has a Keurig (sp?) and she loves it. She has the dispenser where you can put your own coffee in it as it saves her money.

karousel 10-21-2011 02:39 PM

No coffee -- Yikes!!!

I usually just buy the cheap coffee pots and when the break I end up going and buying another cheap one! Luckily I have my 8 cup one that I keep for family parties to fall back on until I can get to the store. I've had that one for 20 years!!! It's a Krup but much too large for just me. I did have a 4 cup Krup that lasted many, many years before it started to act up.

ginnie 10-21-2011 03:20 PM

Re: old standby

I found a great coffee maker with just one switch, on and off, very inexpensive at walmart and it does great. No fancy lights, timing or anything else. sometimes simple is the best. ginnie

Aarcyn 10-21-2011 05:13 PM

Cuisinart. Great coffee maker, has lasted for 5 years now. Mesh coffee strainer so no more expense except coffee, of course! no paper strainers.

We probably bought it at Kohls, or Bed, Bath, Beyond. It has more bells/whistles but other than a timer to start the coffee before we get up, don't use them.

The difference in a coffee maker was startling. I never knew how bad my other maker was until this one.

SallyC 10-21-2011 08:38 PM

Are you peeps talking about plain old ordinary coffee, or the fancy smancy flavored kind, like molcha supreme and stuff?

I don't like or drink coffee, anymore, but the flavored coffees taste pretty good.:)

aussiemom 10-21-2011 09:05 PM

I have a Krupps also. Love it! This one is about 3 yo, one prior lasted about 7-8 years.

TwoKidsTwoCats 10-21-2011 09:24 PM

I figured out a trick when our electricity was off for a week... we had to have coffee!! I boiled the amount of water we usually used for 2 mugs on the gas stove... put the coffee in the Mr. Coffee as usual. Mine has a lid that opens up on top, so I poured the hot water directly onto the coffee in the filter. It takes a little longer to do it that way, but gravity pulls the water through the coffee grounds and it drips into the pot.:)

nemsmom 10-21-2011 09:53 PM

I have a Bunn coffee maker that I have had for almost 11 years now and I love it! Of course I have broke more than a few carafes, but that's just because of my poor depth perception. ;)

It keeps a pot of water in a little tank at all times and keeps that hot so when you poor your water in coffee is done in about 2 minutes. As for filters, we buy them at the Dollar Tree. My hubby didn't like the idea of having the coffee pot using electricity to keep the water hot all day. So he put it on a timer. It comes on early enough to heat up in time for morning coffee and goes off around noon.

I'm out of grounds right now, so my morning will be coffee-less as well. :( So sorry for everyone around me because normally I shouldn't be talked to until I've had my coffee!:eek:

I hope you get a new pot soon! If you watch ebay my friend found one there once for 20 or 30 dollars. They are about $100 new in the stores.

Aarcyn 10-21-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 817165)
Are you peeps talking about plain old ordinary coffee, or the fancy smancy flavored kind, like molcha supreme and stuff?

I don't like or drink coffee, anymore, but the flavored coffees taste pretty good.:)

Ordinary coffee maker. We make our own blend though with Dunkin Donuts, a chocolate kind and a vanilla kind.

We used to buy the cheapest but I like a good cuppa in the AM to read with the newspaper.

I am at an age where a few good things are better than only splurging for company. And with MS, we don't entertain enough to deprive us of a good mug.

NeuroNixed Craig 10-22-2011 02:55 AM

Pleade, A Moment of Silence, No Percolating!

Dearest Kitty,

You have my most sincere non-heart racing condolences and jittery sympathies in light of the sudden and tragic loss.

In emergencies like this it isn't unexpected to dial 7-1-1 for emergencies services with liquid intervention. Sometimes requiring a daily dosage of 32 ounces for up to two weeks while locating a replacement coffee maker.

I've learned you do get what you pay for and when faced with a similar personal emergency and sudden loss, stepped up to a Cuisinart. There are many more options that I will use; but the included water filter system, five beep notification when the process is completed, quiet performance and outstanding aroma and flavor of my different coffees were worth the investment.

Selecting a qualified replacement for your sudden loss is not unlike selecting a new lover. You want it when you want it! Full of flavor, body and aromatic, all while being a hot experience.

May Flavor be with you during this time.

I remain your Caffeinated Friend,

Jodylee 10-22-2011 05:41 AM

Oh the HORROR, is right!!! I would be in a full-blown panic :eek:;).

I've had a TON of different coffee makers over the years. Sometimes 3 or so at a time :). I love my coffee. My favorite is the Bunn. My second choice is Cuisinart, my current coffee maker. I got it reconditioned from Amazon and saved a few dollars. I haven't had any problems with it during the four years I've had at.

Good luck, K! You have my sympathies ;).

tkrik 10-22-2011 10:07 AM

So . . . How did you do this morning without your coffee, Kelly? :p

Kitty 10-22-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 817314)
So . . . How did you do this morning without your coffee, Kelly? :p

I tried Pam's suggestion and poured boiling water into the coffee filled coffee filter (covered by another filter) and it worked fairly well. Better than no coffee at all!

I'm waiting for DS to get here so I can go to the store. I'll get a cheap-o model at the grocery store to use until I can get a "real" one!

The one that just broke was what I considered a cheap-o model and it lasted for nearly 2 years!

wkikta 10-24-2011 09:50 PM

I just got a cheap Mr Coffee at the Grocery Store a few weeks ago. About $16 and it makes 4 cups. If it lasts a few years then I am good. Last cheap one lasted 8 years. Use Folgers or Maxwell House Darkest, 3 measures for 4 cups, works great.

Kitty 10-25-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkikta (Post 818149)
I just got a cheap Mr Coffee at the Grocery Store a few weeks ago. About $16 and it makes 4 cups. If it lasts a few years then I am good. Last cheap one lasted 8 years. Use Folgers or Maxwell House Darkest, 3 measures for 4 cups, works great.

This is exactly what I got....a Mr. Coffee 4-cup. It looks so tiny but it's perfect for just me. I kept the carafe and filter holder thingy from the other coffee maker that broke. I figured I'd hold onto it in case I got another 12-cup machine. I'm known to break glass objects.....:o.