NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   acidic based synthetic poisons wont fix the problem. (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/173723-acidic-based-synthetic-poisons-wont-fix.html)

shopster 07-24-2012 01:10 PM

acidic based synthetic poisons wont fix the problem.

hi,

worth the time and effort to view.
mark hymen m.d. knows his stuff.
a white coat writes a script he would not give his dog to eat and you blindly dump it into your body.............?
i think not.

it is all toxic poison that is slowly killing your liver and cures nothing.
watch them all and get your heads fully wrapped around this.
cheers,
s

start here.
here is the intro. to his u tube channel.
he also had auto immune .
*edit*
he is what medicine should be in north america.
sadly, the pill pushers are still the status quo.

a few more choice vids.
milk
*edit*
the FDA and big pharma exposed.
*edit*
200 more vids in his channel on u tube.
you are all being sold down the river by the white coats and big pharma.
i have full blown MG and am slowly getting the toxins out and regaining my health.
change your lifestyle.
stop eating processed garbage in a box or a can.
you can get better without the meds. and i am walking proof that it worxs.

Brennan068 07-24-2012 03:21 PM

Mmmm... yeah.

While there is nothing wrong with eating better, (and we all can eat better) just eating better will not cure what ails most of us. Dr. Hymen is selling something too.

Did you know that there is a community in the Himalayan mountains that has never seen cancer? .... nobody lives to more than 30, but they don't have cancer there.

I don't think it is very fair of you to try to sell this snake oil to people who are willing to grasp at anything. Just my opinion of Dr. Hymen's pitch... if it works for you, great.

shopster 07-24-2012 03:44 PM

i am not selling anything.

southblues 07-24-2012 04:35 PM

To tell sick people to stop taking all drugs is selling something.
It is selling a philosophy. One that can be hazardous.
Some of us will die without drugs.
If the MG doesn't get me, the hypertension will. No drugs. No me.

alice md 07-25-2012 12:18 AM

Like everything, this requires a balanced approach.

Diseases are the combined result of genetics and environmental exposure.

Our genetic work-up dictates the way in which our body will respond to certain nutritional deficiencies and certain substances in our environment.

Many times it is a multi-step process in which a certain gene leads to the way we respond to a certain substance. this in turn leads to minor changes we are not even aware of. Those changes now make us more susceptible to a certain substance that didn't harm us before. This in turn can lead to mutations in other genes, which now make us more vulnerable to numerous other substances.

The disease manifests itself clinically only after the body's own repair mechanisms become overwhelmed by those gradual changes.

At that stage we can't repair it just by changing our nutrition or other environmental exposures. This is where pharmacological agents and other medical interventions have a role.

Yet, if we only use pharmacological agents without changing our environment, the same process is likely to occur again.

Also, occasionally correcting the nutritional deficiencies and environmental exposure (if one is able to figure out what they are among the numerous substances we are exposed to every day) may lead to a gradual reversal of the pathological process.

A good example is celiac disease. Once gluten is eliminated from the diet most people will become healthy within a relatively short period.

But, not everyone is gluten sensitive. There are numerous other substances we are exposed to on a daily basis.
The modern world created an enormous amount of neurotoxic and carcinogenic substances which are added to our foods, soaps and cleaning detergents in "safe amounts".
But, what are "safe amounts"? what may be safe for one person can cause significant harm to another because of his/her genetic build-up.

The enormous advances in modern medicine over the last century have given many (physicians and patients) the illusion of "happiness in a bottle".
The message was- eat what you want, live as you want, if you take a certain pill you will be fine.

Yes, physicians did advocate a "healthy life style" but they did very little to find out what this life-style should be for their specific patient.
Very little time in medical school is dedicated to understanding nutrition or to learn what kind of toxic substances are abundant in our environment.

In fact medical students learn that they should be very contemplate about such environmental exposures. They are immersed in formaldehyde in anatomy class. They work with numerous toxic substances in the lab. and they are ridiculed if they show any concern. They are allowed to smoke. The are encouraged to skip meals. They are exposed to sleep deprivation on a regular basis etc etc.

So, the message that is conveyed to them is- If you can endure this, so can your patients.

Modern society is quite happy with the kind of training that future physicians are getting. Very little changes have occurred over the years.

Patients are being blamed for not living a "healthy life-style" when no one ever prescribed one for them. "Exercise more and eat a healthy balanced diet". is the mantra physicians are taught to say. A "one size fits all" approach they would never use in the medications they prescribe.

Red meat is essential for some people and less so for others, Exercise is beneficial for some people and harmful for others, detergents in soap and cleaning material may be well-tolerated by some but lead to serious consequences in others etc. etc.

The need for proper individualized activity and nutrition was well recognized by ancient Greek physicians, but completely abandoned in modern medicine.

Patients are treated according to their diseases and not according to who they are. A patient that had a heart attack should stop eating red meat, take statins and exercise more. And what if this patient requires red meat, what if he/she is sensitive to statins, what if he/she belong to those people who do not benefit from exercise?
Then the patient is being blamed for being "non-compliant" and refusing to live a "healthy life style". Or that he/she has "depression", "anxiety" etc.

I think patients should follow the medical advice of their physicians, should take their medications, but they should also insist on what they know is right for them. They should ideally have an on-going dialogue with their physician so that together they can find the optimal approach.

Or else more and more people will feel in the way described in this poem, and more and more quacks will be able to fill this growing gap.

alice md 07-25-2012 01:22 AM

BTW,

As far as I could see Dr. Hyman http://drhyman.com/ is not advocating to abandon conventional pharmacological treatment, but like Terry Wahls http://www.terrywahls.com/ and many other physicians he thinks we should combine this treatment with life-style and nutrition changes to promote healing.

shopster 07-25-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice md (Post 900426)
BTW,

As far as I could see Dr. Hyman is not advocating to abandon conventional pharmacological treatment, but like Terry Wahls and many other physicians he thinks we should combine this treatment with life-style and nutrition changes to promote healing.

Alice,

nice to see an M.D. who is not a cookie cut neuro. waving a script pad.

you also walk in a pair of chronic shoes like the rest of us.

Hyman will get you thru his lab and off all meds. as quickly as possible.

he does not mix therapy and try to balance it out with synthetic toxins.

i sent you the links.

perhaps you can post them in this thread so we can start getting to the meat of the matter.

s

btw: i had to remove the link you posted to reply to this message.
really pathetic.

Chemar 07-25-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

btw: i had to remove the link you posted to reply to this message.
really pathetic.
shopster, as has already been explained to you in PM, our system is set to automatically block all links by new members as we, like most other forums, are inundated with spammers trying to post links, some of them to pretty disgusting stuff.
I am sorry you find this "pathetic" but we would rather be thought of that way, and have a system in place that protects our members. Most new members understand this, and are willing to make the required number of posts in order to reach linking status. All this is clearly explained in our guidelines as well.

Stellatum 07-25-2012 12:02 PM

Thanks to Alice for a balanced explanation.

I just received a photocopied book chapter from my brother-in-law about how to cure myasthenia gravis with good nutrition. The disease was explained as a deficiency in acetylcholine, and the recommendations for diet and vitamin supplementation were designed to help the body produce more acetylcholine. I was surprised that the antibodies that block the receptor cells weren't mentioned until I checked out the footnotes, which were all over 60 years old. Evidently the book was written before it was known that MG is an autoimmune disease. There were all these testimonials about how nutrition had cured this or that case. Some of the cases sounded like vitamin deficiencies (prisoners of war, for example--probably B12) that were mistaken for MG.

There is a notorious quack on the web that all my friends are always recommending to me. He runs a huge site, on which he sells his own products. He believes that all diseases are caused by poor nutrition and (which as Alice shows is different) that all diseases can be cured by proper nutrition. Even AIDS. He thinks that the AIDS virus doesn't make people sick; what makes them sick is worrying so much about being HIV+. This is the level of quackery we're talking about, and yet he has a huge following. People don't trust Big Pharma because it's run by greed. Yet Dr. Quack is certainly making tons of money off his empire--somehow that doesn't count.

I think that chronic illness terrifies people. Here's a woman who last time I saw her was filled with energy, doing all sorts of stuff, the picture of health. Now she can hardly walk. She has been stricken, out of the blue. That's scary, because it makes people realize that it could happen to them. So they think of reasons why it can't happen to them--if I just eat right or exercise or use organic cleaning materials...it's a comforting thought to believe that you're in control. Unfortunately, the corollary is, "if you're sick, it's your own fault."

Abby

bu452000 07-26-2012 09:10 AM

Touche Abby

shopster 07-28-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 900315)
To tell sick people to stop taking all drugs is selling something.
It is selling a philosophy. One that can be hazardous.
Some of us will die without drugs.
If the MG doesn't get me, the hypertension will. No drugs. No me.

the Gestapo Nazi FDA police.

War on Health - Gary Null's documentary exposing the FDA

search it out on youtube.

still dumping that fda double blind placebo manipulated results poison in your arm..........?

think again.

alice md 07-30-2012 01:42 AM

Yes, think again...

What you do not understand is that people who use those kind of arguments stand in the way of those who truly want to make constructive changes.

When serious people discuss the importance of nutrition, the effects of exposure to toxic substances in the environment, the wide-spread use of genetic engineering and synthetic food to animals in agriculture, they are seen as belonging to the same group of lunatics who put those movies on you-tube.

modern medicine has saved and prolonged the lives of numerous people from birth to octagenerians. Diseases that were once lethal can be put under good control for many years.

But, progress has its price, and no doubt that greed also plays a role in the turns the practice of medicine took over the years.

Regulation in general is complex. who, how and when should regulation be implanted. this is true for food, medications, movies and weapons.
Regulation means that the individual may pay a price in his freedom for the benefit of the entire community.
Also, there is always the risk that you will be putting the cat to guard the cream. The thought that disclosure of conflicts of interests solves the problem is indeed quite naive and extremely misleading. I for one, am very suspicious regarding studies in which the authors disclose being paid consultants of the same company which produced the study drug.

Even on the internet, some sites put an emphasis on freedom of speech and others put more emphasis on protecting the members from disinformation.
Each of those approaches has its prices and benefits.

As to the risks and benefits of modern medicine, I have a bigger and more balanced picture than you. Like you, I have mostly been harmed by certain treatments and medications. At the same time, as opposed to you, I realize that I belong to the small minority who have a paradoxical response to a medication which is very effective for many people.

The physician who gave me this medication and insisted that I keep on taking it, had a very black and white view in which all patients could only benefit from this treatment and if I "feel" that I am doing worse it is because of some fault in my character which prevents me from understanding that I am much better and near remission.

You, on the other hand, have the mirror image of that black and white view by which no patient could benefit from such treatment.

William Osler said-the more the ignorance, the more the arrogance. *edit*

The reality is that every treatment (natural or synthetic) can lead to benefit or harm, and one has to cautiously weigh one against the other in the specific patient so that the optimal management approach can be found. Physicians should not make decisions based on pamphlets given to them by drug reps. but on careful and critical reading of the pertinent medical literature.

Both your black and white approach and his black and white approach lead to harm and the exact opposite of what you want to achieve.
Physicians like him lead to people understandably lose their trust in modern medicine, and people like you lead to understandable doubts regarding other management approaches.

This, instead of combining the best of both worlds.

In this forum there have been serious, balanced and fruitful discussions regarding conventional medical interventions, avoidance of toxic substances (keeping in mind that one man's food can be another man's poison) and nutritional interventions.

Some patients here has significant improvement with very aggressive treatments , others have found various natural remedies more helpful and yet others have found the way to combine both. Myasthenia is a very complex disease, and can't be managed with a "one size fits all" approach.

I am glad that you have found what works for you.

Possibly, if you would share with us the specifics of your treatment, it may help others as well.

Telling people to stop trusting their physicians and the treatments they are given will not be helpful and may cause potential harm.

shopster 08-01-2012 09:23 PM

Alice,

not one synthetic drug ever invented in a lab helps the human metabolic process to build new cells and move you forward to better / improved health.

all drugs slow the process down and also surpress the immune system.

drugs mask symptoms and do not get to the root cause of the issue.

the side effects warning is always 2 pages deep and death is usually one of the options listed.

run synthetics in the blood stream so the liver can slowly become toxic and the game is over.

if the disease doesn't kill you , drugs will over time.

it is not all black and white, but this much is true.

north american society thinks the white coats have the answers and the big pharma powders are the cure.

just make the pain go away.

modern medicine today is a script pad in your back pocket and a set of golf clubs in the trunk of the merc. with wed. afternoons off.

" ask your doctor if this poison is right for you............"

when i play golf with these guys and they are not bad people, i always ask about the corruption in big pharma and the fda.

the answer is always the same...........
a round of silence.

so i move on.

s

shopster 08-01-2012 09:43 PM

i asked two smart young neuros running separate MG practices at 2 Canadian teaching hospitals what they thought of predisone.

answer:

it is one of the nastiest drugs on the planet.

my second question......

would you personally ingest this drug if you had MG.............?

answer: no comment.

playing thru.

s

shopster 08-01-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice md (Post 901671)
Yes, think again...

William Osler said-the more the ignorance, the more the arrogance.

there is no science to back up the false claims,skewed / twisted placebo trials blattant lies and deceit of big pharma.

when i get to the magic 10 count, a legal link from a washington lawyer who has taken on arrogant big pharma and won 7 times will show how rampant and deep the corruption actually runs.

s

alice md 08-02-2012 03:46 AM

All I can say is that, sadly modern medicine has become the victim of its own success.

Because of the enormous advances: the cure of previously incurable diseases , the prolongation of life (turning previously fatal diseases into chronic diseases) and even prevention of some potentially fatal diseases there are unrealistic expectations (of physicians, patients and lawyers) regarding its abilities.

Those unrealistic expectations lead to numerous unwanted consequences.

As you did not share your personal experiences, I can only guess what made you lose your trust in modern medicine and turn to other treatment options.
You are one of many (physicians and patients) who are unhappy and frustrated with the current health care system.

Quote:

i asked two smart young neuros running separate MG practices at 2 Canadian teaching hospitals what they thought of predisone.
As I did not personally speak to those neuros I can't comment on what they said or how smart they are.

No doubt that corticosteroids (which is by the way a completely natural substance produced by our own body, but given in much larger doses) have significant side effects. At the same time those are well-known and can be recognized and addressed. When used wisely this medication can save lives.
When used unwisely, it can lead to serious harm. But, this is true for any substance (natural or synthetic) that has pharmacological properties.

Quote:

not one synthetic drug ever invented in a lab helps the human metabolic process to build new cells and move you forward to better / improved health.
This is utter nonsense. There are numerous such substances that have saved many lives. Furthermore, a drug does not have to help the metabolic process. It has to effect what has disrupted it. The body can then heal itself.

If you seriously want to criticize and possibly improve the practice of medicine, you have to learn what you are talking about. No one is going to take what you say seriously if you have no serious data to support what you say.

teresakoch 08-02-2012 09:56 AM

Shopster, do you actually HAVE Myasthenia Gravis?

I KNOW the downside of Prednisone, but for me personally, the benefits of the job that it does to suppress my immune system to the point that it slows the progression of this disease far outweigh the side effects of the drug (I am also taking a low enough dose that the side effects are minimal).

For most MG patients, it is a delicate balancing act, but we all make an INFORMED choice. Last time I checked, it's a free country, and we are allowed to make our own decisions.

My doctor has let me know what the risks of taking Prednisone are, and she is very careful to monitor my health so that if a problem does crop up it can be taken care of. I know what I feel like when I take it and when I am off of it, and for me PERSONALLY, I know which one I prefer. I cannot presume to tell anyone else what is "right" for them, and neither can you.

Forgive me for saying this, but from the tone of your posts, it almost sounds like you are trolling for malpractice clients....

suev 08-02-2012 02:00 PM

Shopster, you are entitled to your opinions as is everyone else on the board. But you sound so angry! Does it derive from some negative personal experience or a vendetta of some kind?

I do hope you have other things going on in your life that bring you genuine pleasure and joy. I also hope that your body never requires (or would benefit from) pharmaceuticals as it would undoubtedly be huge drama for you.

southblues 08-02-2012 02:33 PM

With any treatment option, you have to weigh the risk versus benefits. My cousin felt the same way that you do about drugs. She stopped taking her blood pressure medicine and started relying on herbal remedies to make her healthy. Well, this plan didn't work out so well for her. She died quite suddenly as a result of uncontrolled hypertension. Rather than enjoyinging her retirement, she is dead. Her husband is enjoying the benefits of her retirement with his new wife that is 20 years his junior.

shopster 08-02-2012 02:37 PM

end game..........

the tome.

i have MG.
muscular and occular.

it has been 18 months since the computers were hooked up to my body and the testing was done in 2 diff. MG labs in Canada by 2 of the best neuros in the country running clinics for said issue.

woke up one day with double vision, could hardly sit up and felt like crap.
droppy eyelids x 2
repetitive motion with the legs or arms was almost non existent.
pins and needles / tingling in my arms and fingers.
both hands were pretty well useless.
very sensitive to heat and all bright natural or indoor lighting.
bending over was impossible without fainting.
jaw for chewing was not firing on all cylinders

the family doc had no clue.
the eye doc could not find anything wrong.

so we hit the net and self diagnosed it until big medicine could slot me in.

got it narrowed down to MG or MS.
went for body scans to check out the brain for lesions and the thymus for growths.
no lesions, so i ruled out MS.

single fibre emg tested positive.

next up, the 2 hour full lab testing connected all the dots.

i was fit, active and eating mostly organic before the MG trainwreck put me flat on my back.

both the neuro lads whipped out their script pads and went to work.

the " pred. and mest. dynamic duo" was instantly prescibed x 2 to blast my weakened immune system even further with a smack up the side of the head for good measure.
hit him while he is down.
the neuro's answer to life.

i even offered to have their " script pads preprinted with the toxic cocktail " so they would not waste time or pen ink for the next MG victim coming down the pipe.

already did the homework on the toxic powder about to be prescribed and knew the side effects list by memory.

a side effect of death was a big turn off.

so was cataracts, weight gain, facial swelling, blurred vision on top of the double MG vision, insomnia, cushing's , possible infection issues , depression et al.

steroid induced osteo was another no no.

and the hits keep coming.

i have degrees in science and business.
was a bootstrap startup guy for vencap and an angel investor since 1982.

i also have over 3 decades of forex, equity and futures trading.

i had time to research MG and the funds required. getting to the truth was the focus.

in trading financial markets the retail herd always gets slaughtered.
it is all smoke n' mirrors.

professional money is always unloading product to retail players.
just the way it is....

the defacto standard in medical disease management is the same.
sell the poison to retail, en masse.

a pharma owner once said..........
" we are not into heath care but we can do disease management very well..."

"ask your doctor if this poison is good for you........."

unbelievable.

got nothing new in the chemical pipeline...............?

crank up the lab rats for a new submission along with a cheque for $860M and run it over to the feds.

in the meantime, start skewed placebo tests and only submit corrupted data
there is no third party to refute your claims so we trust you to tell the truth.........:)

a 6 week period is all that is required to see if anyone drops over from immediate liver failure and the third world is a great place to pick up bodies for the first round of 2 legged testing.

.................................................. ......

knowing all of the above, i went to work to get stabilized, sans the chemical cocktail.

once you start down that rabbit hole you do not get an exit pass.

first up..........

i had both neuro scripts mounted and framed.
they now hang on my office wall
never to be handed to my brother in law, the local retail pharma king.

he told me without the meds i will surely die, i told him he could have the merc. and the harley's if i do.

i also phoned in my cancellation for the 6 week return clinic visits to the lads.

they both said they expected to see me wheeled in on a gurney if i did not heed the medical protocol prescibed.

second........

i studied Gerston therapy on plant food raw therapy and phyto nutrient chemistry.

also found 2 other lads my age.

both approx. 60 years young who were cured of MG on their own terms without the use of the suspect white powders.

fired up the lear and did a face to face to dig into the nuts and bolts of the game plan.

third ...........

did a 180 reverse on all north american nutrition.

bought a new vitamix and a gear driven juicer.

i dumped all meat, coffee, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, refined sugar, and dairy.
no processed anything.

nothing baked, fried or bbq'd.

anything cooked past 118 deg. F and all the enzymes are toast.

nothing from a takeout window or in a box.

i went full organic and raw.

apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil was the dressing.

75 % simple carbs and 25% protein was the mix.
almonds , walnuts, chia, hemp and ground up flax seed.

rice milk , frozen organic fruits .

big bags from costo and locally picked in season.
keep the freezer full.

" vega and sun warrior " both plant based protein powders with no issues.
search 'em out.

" whey " protein powder is a no no.

.................................................. ......

the low spot was 3 months in .
was almost ready to pack it in and cave for acidic powder

then the juicing of veggies and the salad cart 3 x per day, started to kick in.

slowly got more stamina
more sit up hours,
more waking hours
the droppy eye lids slowly started to return to normal function.

i started to walk with less help and to get right hand function back

repetative motion in ther arms and legs, slowly returned.

20 lbs of weight dropped off over 6 months with zero effort and i was not overweight to start.
my body found its own weight balance.

9 months
i was walking with very little help.
( my gait is still not a perfect alignment.)

the double vision straight on and to the left slowly started to fade at 12 months.
i still see double to the extreme right side .

currently i can walk unaided for 2 miles, ride a bicycle for 30 minutes on the flat and do arm strength exercise on a levered home gym.

am i totally back to full speed.......?
no.
but damn close.

you have to feed the body raw and organic alkaline fuel, drink a ton of water , get the gut flushed out with a hose , get off any and all toxic powders over time if you wish to get to the finish line.

you can see the flag waving in the distance.

once you are raw, you never go back.

the standard NA diet is all toxic , eating Montsanto GMO grains and glowing in the dark.

i do know some excellent malpractice attoneys if you ever need one......:)

s

" Skate to where the puck is going to be ......."
wayne gretzky

shopster 08-02-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suev (Post 902644)
Shopster, you are entitled to your opinions as is everyone else on the board. But you sound so angry! Does it derive from some negative personal experience or a vendetta of some kind?

I do hope you have other things going on in your life that bring you genuine pleasure and joy. I also hope that your body never requires (or would benefit from) pharmaceuticals as it would undoubtedly be huge drama for you.

You will be able to see what should cause anyone to show anger toward the " fraud and deception assoc. " better known as the FDA and the " american malpractice assoc. " better known as the AMA.

web links will be avail. at a 10 post count.

i have been down the chemical road a few times in my younger years, when i did not know any better.

i am over the hump on MG at 18 months in and hopefully a few who are on the current chemical train will ask some hard questions, do some navel gazing about standard therapies proposed and venture off in a new direction.

not really interested to argue the fine points of what works or does not.

the links from a few accredited people on auto immune will go up in this thread and you can decide what you want to believe.

it is really is that simple.

s

Anacrusis 08-02-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopster (Post 902654)
i have MG.
muscular and occular.
i was fit, active and eating mostly organic before the MG trainwreck put me flat on my back.

Why did that train hit you when you were already taking such good care of your nutritional needs?
NUTRITION? What ever happened to a good ATTITUDE ?

Spontaneous remissions are extremely rare in MG but thatīs a possibility and can happen to anyone regardless of the physical or mental constitution they find themselves in at the time.

It looks like itīs not just the toxic cocktails doing the poisoning around here.....

southblues 08-02-2012 04:11 PM

If I have to give up coffee, forget it.

shopster 08-02-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anacrusis (Post 902685)
Why did that train hit you when you were already taking such good care of your nutritional needs?

Spontaneous remissions are extremely rare in MG but can happen to anyone regardless of the physical or mental constitution they find themselves in at the time.

It looks like itīs not just the toxic cocktails doing the poisoning here.....

Good NUTRITION? What ever happened to a good ATTITUDE ?

my attitude was fine until i started to see how slanted, corrupt and poisoned the medical playing field really is.

you cannot change it as the culture runs deep.

full metal jacket exposure is the only tool left in the box.

s

Anacrusis 08-02-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 902688)
If I have to give up coffee, forget it.

Well Exactly! And nor should anyone give up what works for them ...ie MEDICATION!

Stellatum 08-02-2012 04:26 PM

Re: the raw, vegan diet: are you taking B12 supplements, and if so, are you sure you're absorbing them properly? You can go for a while without B12, but after a few years a deficiency can cause extreme neurological symptoms (some of them are similar to the symptoms of MG). These can creep up on you gradually. If you start to get symptoms like you describe again, don't just assume it's the MG coming back--consider the possibility of a B12 deficiency as well. There are easy blood tests for that.

Vegans recognize that their diet doesn't provide B12, and that raw-food vegans are at special risk (because processed food marketed to vegans is often fortified with B12). This is not controversial. Please be careful. I think the gut destroys B12 before the body can use it, so you need a sub-lingual variety, and you should have blood tests to make sure you're absorbing it.

Abby

Stellatum 08-02-2012 04:33 PM

I just wanted to say: it's unfair to judge all drugs by the side-effects of Prednisone. We all know it's nasty stuff. You and I are lucky: our MG symptoms aren't life-threatening, so we have the luxury of turning it down.

Yes, death is a possible side-effect of Prednisone. It's also a side-effect of not being able to breathe. When you can't breathe, or can't swallow without choking, you need a treatment that is likely to work, and work quickly. You can put up with double vision for six months while waiting to see if the raw-food diet is going to work, but you can't put up with not being able to breathe for six months.

I'm on Imuran. No side effects yet that I know of, though I realize I'm taking a risk. It's made me a lot better. My doctors have not recommended Prednisone for me because of its side-effects. Your doctors should have discussed other options with you, too.

Abby

shopster 08-02-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anacrusis (Post 902695)
Well Exactly! (Iīve had cappuccinos every day for 3 months now :)) And nor should anyone give up what works for them ...ie medication!

I think I for one have to give up on this thread go and eat a few bags of chips with a really good cold beer or two :winky:

sounds fair, carry on ........:)

Starchy fried foods such as French Fries, potato chips, some baked goods, and many other items contain a chemical called acrylamide that has been shown to cause cancer and neurological problems in animals.

s

shopster 08-02-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellatum (Post 902696)
Re: the raw, vegan diet: are you taking B12 supplements, and if so, are you sure you're absorbing them properly? You can go for a while without B12, but after a few years a deficiency can cause extreme neurological symptoms (some of them are similar to the symptoms of MG). These can creep up on you gradually. If you start to get symptoms like you describe again, don't just assume it's the MG coming back--consider the possibility of a B12 deficiency as well. There are easy blood tests for that.

Vegans recognize that their diet doesn't provide B12, and that raw-food vegans are at special risk (because processed food marketed to vegans is often fortified with B12). This is not controversial. Please be careful. I think the gut destroys B12 before the body can use it, so you need a sub-lingual variety, and you should have blood tests to make sure you're absorbing it.

Abby

already there, and thx for the info. update....

s

shopster 08-02-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellatum (Post 902702)
I just wanted to say: it's unfair to judge all drugs by the side-effects of Prednisone. We all know it's nasty stuff. You and I are lucky: our MG symptoms aren't life-threatening, so we have the luxury of turning it down.

Yes, death is a possible side-effect of Prednisone. It's also a side-effect of not being able to breathe. When you can't breathe, or can't swallow without choking, you need a treatment that is likely to work, and work quickly. You can put up with double vision for six months while waiting to see if the raw-food diet is going to work, but you can't put up with not being able to breathe for six months.

I'm on Imuran. No side effects yet that I know of, though I realize I'm taking a risk. It's made me a lot better. My doctors have not recommended Prednisone for me because of its side-effects. Your doctors should have discussed other options with you, too.

Abby

they did and i turned it all down.

i agree with what you are saying but the problem is getting off the cocktail bandwagon.

most never do..........

once the liver blows out from years of filtering chemicals thru you do not need to worry about it any longer.

as soon as they allow me to post weblinks, another side of real heath care will be revealed.

s

s

Jomar 08-02-2012 05:13 PM

Just a reminder for all to stay on the main topic here and avoid negative personal remarks.

shopster 08-02-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellatum (Post 902702)

Abby

Imuran .........

" Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant, that is, a drug that is used to suppress the immune system.

The exact mechanism of action of azathioprine is not known.
Safety and efficacy of azathioprine in children has not been established.

The most common serious side effects of azathioprine involve the cells of the blood and gastrointestinal system.

Azathioprine can cause serious lowering of the white blood cell count, resulting in an increased risk of infections.

All patients taking azathioprine require regular testing of blood for blood cell counts and liver toxicity testing....."
.................................................. .........

As i previously stated in this thread, all drugs surpress the immune system and slow down / stop the metabolic process.

" The exact mechanism of action of azathioprine is not known.......... "

so its ok for adults to take it even though we really do not understand what it does in the body but do not give it to smaller versions of the human race because it will probably be toxic and kill them.

carry on.

s

southblues 08-02-2012 05:40 PM

I thought that the whole point was to suppress the immune system. Autoimmune disorders are the result of an overly ambitious immune system.

shopster 08-02-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 902726)
I thought that the whole point was to suppress the immune system. Autoimmune disorders are the result of an overly ambitious immune system.

t he human body is a sea of metabolisms.

anything that helps this process, strengthens your immune system and reverses disease.

but............
the " fraud and deception assoc. " aka the FDA, is fully responsible for getting a " safe food and drug sytem " in the USA.

they need to be fired.

" metabolic syndrome " is fully alive and well in america and it is linked to over 75% of all diseases.

if metabolic syndrome is present, there will be high levels of lipids( fats), high sugars, high proteins and high triglycerides in the blood of all americans.

every cell in the body is dependant on the quality of the blood.

high proteins gives you kidney disease. ( undigested proteins )
high lipids gives you heart disease and stroke. (undigested fats )
high sugars gives you diabetes (undigested sugars )

so all undigested nutrients = toxic blood.

if your blood is healthy, your body will be healthy.

if your blood is sick and toxi, you get to die early.

health is when your body can build cells faster than it can break them down.

sickness and disease is when you are breaking down faster than you are building up.

pure and simple, that's it.

.................................................. ........

so we remove the metabolic enzymes from healthy fresh raw food by processing it.

the digestive enzymes are now gone.

in order to make this " inert garbage " taste better for retail consumption
the FDA allows a neuro toxin that punches holes in your brain and makes it look like swiss cheese to be added in.

we all know it as MSG or 35 other " covert under the table names " allowed by the fraud and decep. lads in order to disguise it to the consuming public masses.

so now we have enzyme devoid franken food with neuro toxic additives going into the body with zero enzymes.

the body is starving for real food with enzymes, cannot find any, so it starts to break down.

if you go to your heath care professional and he tells you he is going to " strengthen you immune system............"

you then say " wow, that's a damn good idea.........where do we start......? "

but if he says " you have xyz disease, hi blood pressure or high blood sugar, take this drug ....."
you then need to fire him and run for the exit door.

that is not health care.
every medication slows or stops the metabolic process.

metabolism is your body building up
every drug breaks you down faster than you build up, bar none.

if you supress the immune system with any drug , you are rolling backwards, not forwards.

the " standard american diet " is 90% processed food that is enzyme deficient with no nutrients so you body cannot rebuild.

processed food should be labelled " not for human consumption........"

and it is not fit for your dogs either.

university of cal. irvine study:
children who eat 3 hot dogs a week have a 12 fold increase in lukemia and brain tumours.
a 1200% increase.

you read that right, look it up.

all hot dogs and fast food national chain burgers and chicken nuggets are made from hormone laden, genetically altered beast and fowl that is fed grains with a ton of antibiotics added in to keep them standing up just long enuf to get to the slaughter house.

not in my gut.

s

southblues 08-02-2012 08:27 PM

Actually I grow a lot of my own food and it is all natural. It hasn't cured me yet. I do believe in avoiding fried foods and processed foods.

It really is my understanding that autoimmune disease are the result of your immune system attacking your body. It reminds me of the family dog biting the kids. Well that dog may need a muzzle. I am not on any immune suppressants at this time. If I get worse, it may happen.

I am not only in this life for quantity of time. I want quality. If I can't do the things that I want to do, then I'll take whatever drugs help me, even if they only help for a short while.

As far as diet, I used to eat fried foods. I never ate vegetables. I ate bags of chips. I was too fat. I drank way too much liquor and beer. And I was perfectly healthy. This dang myesthenia gravis came on two years after I improved my lifestyle. Maybe I should go buy some beer and fried chicken.

shopster 08-02-2012 09:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/ultrawel.../1/ZAhu6oa_2Ss

Mark Hyman, MD is what medical care should be in north america.

sadly, the pill pushers are still the status quo.

shopster 08-02-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 902759)
As far as diet, I used to eat fried foods.
I never ate vegetables.
I ate bags of chips.
I was too fat.
I drank way too much liquor and beer.

And I was perfectly healthy.

..........................:)

alice md 08-03-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

health is when your body can build cells faster than it can break them down.
Exactly, that is why patients with cancer are so healthy.

It's only the treatment with chemotherapy (which stops this process) that makes them sick.

Unfortunately, I have met a few patients who had this belief.
Fortunately, they came to their senses before it was too late.

Quote:

processed food should be labelled " not for human consumption........"
I agree with that.

alice md 08-03-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Not exactly, it is the result of dysregulation of the immune system.
Patients with untreated HIV have autoimmune diseases and a very suppressed immune system at the same time.

The aim of treatment is immunomodulation not immunosupression.
Better and more targeted treatments are being developed for many autoimmune diseases, leading to more effective and less toxic treatment approaches.

Nutritional supplements are also being used, but unfortunately only in small and few studies, because it is very hard to fund such studies.
This is a true problem, for which no solutions have yet been found. If you want to test the effect (and side-effects) of a certain agent you have to give it to numerous patients, fully document every minor change in their condition and then have a relatively independent regulatory authority supervise this process. Doing this costs enormous amounts of money. For a medication it will pay back once it is approved and on the market, but you can't do that with a nutritional substance as no one is going to pay 10 times more for something he/she can freely buy in the market.

Also, when you are testing a new medication, you can know for sure that your patients are not getting it from a different source as well. When testing nutritional supplements, your patients may differ in their usual exposure to this substance in their normal diet.

Even small and innovative drug companies, find it hard to fund this process and usually sell their products (that passed successfully the pre-clinical and early clinical phases to larger drug companies).

The incentive to find new treatments for rare diseases (for which there is going to be a relatively small market, even if the medication is approved) is very limited.

I do believe that because of the extremely high expanses of the regulatory process there is a large incentive to "push" approval of medications.
So, it is possible that some less safe agents will fall between the cracks.
That is why I am personally more cautious with "better" agents that replace older drugs. (see the example of vioxx).

Also, drug companies have an incentive to find new indications for their medications, as it makes the patent longer.

I am very suspicious of pharmaceutical company funded studies in which there is a significant gap between what is written in the results section and the discussion.
The results have to be accurate and always are, but in the discussion section you can write what ever you want. Many physicians will read the abstract and at the most the discussion. Most will not bother to look at the small details of the results. No one can blame the authors of the paper for trying to find reasons for why their original hypothesis was correct (even if the results do not seem to support it). You can only blame those who don't read the full paper thoroughly as they should.

For instance: The results of two studies on cellcept in MG clearly showed no difference from placebo. The discussion section explained why it is effective and why the study failed to show this (this may or may not be true, but it requires that they do a new study to prove those points). The results section showed that one patient in the study group died of infection and none died in the placebo group. As this was only one patient it could have been a coincidence.
But, I personally was not going to take a medication with a significant side-effect profile, that did not show any effect over placebo in two (relatively large) studies.

The problem is not with modern medicine, but with the way it is practiced by some physicians.
Many physicians properly read the medical literature, have a good and deep understanding of their field of practice. Such physicians will honestly discuss with their patients, what is known, what is controversial and what is yet unknown. Such physicians will be ready to respect other opinions (including those of their patients) and will always be ready to learn.

There are other physicians who trust what is written in pamphlets given to them by drug reps. know better than their patients what is good for them (even if it is based on flawed clinical trials), treat their patients according to convenient guidelines and protocols (without thinking if those do or do not fit their individual patient).

As a physician, I try as much as possible to belong to the first group. As a patient I try as much as possible to find physicians like that to take care of me. And every time I was tempted to ignore my instincts and follow the advice of someone who belonged to the second group, I paid a significant price.

I can easily understand how someone with no medical knowledge, experience or understanding can reach wrong and sad conclusions regarding modern medicine in general and the entire health care system after encountering such physicians.

I can easily understand how he/she would be ready to believe any quack who treats him with human understanding and compassion.
I can also understand how he/she will develop a very black and white picture of the medical profession.

Anacrusis 08-03-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 902759)
ate bags of chips. I was too fat. I drank way too much liquor and beer. And I was perfectly healthy. This dang myesthenia gravis came on two years after I improved my lifestyle. Maybe I should go buy some beer and fried chicken.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!

In my case I used to eat healthily. And now, although I agree I shouldnīt, I eat all those foods described above. And yet after many months of eating that much garbage - for some strange reason I somehow am not able to metabolically provoke a serious myasthenic flare up!!!!!!

On top of that, a year ago I went into spontaneous remission of severe generalized myasthenia whilst actually using non-MG related acidic based synthetic poisons.

In the beginning I found some posts quite provocative but I ended up getting really useful information regarding the effects and value of medication and some other useful information.

Thanks for my time on this thread - though I ended up getting high blood pressure from reading it! - And that is not good for my health! So Iīm leaving it.......

:sunchair: