NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Medical Marijuana (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/182252-medical-marijuana.html)

Leo48092 01-11-2013 12:20 PM

Medical Marijuana

What are your thoughts should I give it a try I know it wont take away the pain but it just might make it a little more bearable thank you

eva5667faliure 01-11-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo48092 (Post 946590)
What are your thoughts should I give it a try I know it wont take away the pain but it just might make it a little more bearable thank you

hello
it is my personal opinion
it does ease the mind
answer to the question is
yes yes yes any relief welcomed
when in pain 24 hours a day
7 days my concern would be are
you a carrier of the gene of addictive
personality

no substitutes

someone who cares

Rrae 01-12-2013 01:25 PM

If it's available by legal means and ok with Doc, heck why not!

Rae
:grouphug:

Spiney95 01-12-2013 11:16 PM

Just a thought

I have had a few friends who live in "legal" states and have tried it with permission from their pain doc and experienced actual increase with some nerve pains. The doc said that was not uncommon. So much for the magical, mystical silver bullet. :rolleyes:

Jazziecat 01-18-2013 03:07 AM

My intention is to ask my primary care physician to prescribe it for me. Parkinson's Disease is listed as an "allowable" condition. My concern is that I have not smoked cigarettes in 10 years and hope MM will not trigger a craving for smoking again. I'm someone who loved smoking (40 years) and happy to be no longer addicted because of the insane price of cigarettes.

Actually my state voted to legalize marijuana, not just MM. It will be legal to purchase and smoke it here, but not legal if you cross the state's borders.

eva5667faliure 01-19-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazziecat (Post 948497)
My intention is to ask my primary care physician to prescribe it for me. Parkinson's Disease is listed as an "allowable" condition. My concern is that I have not smoked cigarettes in 10 years and hope MM will not trigger a craving for smoking again. I'm someone who loved smoking (40 years) and happy to be no longer addicted because of the insane price of cigarettes.

Actually my state voted to legalize marijuana, not just MM. It will be legal to purchase and smoke it here, but not legal if you cross the state's borders.

dear friend

i a smoker a pack a day over 40 years
gave it up it is over a year now
and smoking MM did not give me the urge to smoke
cancer sticks

1-9-12 one year since my double mastectomy
i wasn't exempt

take good care and do your homework

much care

that someone who cares

Morgan Herritage 01-20-2013 04:47 PM

CBD, another chemical in cannabis, is very good for nerve pain.
But in general, cannabis has many advantages, but everybody handles it differently. I don't have to take benzos or anti-anythings because pot eases my mind. I still take pain meds, but low doses. If the quality of cannabis is good (I live in northern Ca) it makes a difference.

peeper 01-21-2013 06:11 PM

is canabis actualy lagal on script in the us for parkinsons and the like ? wont be long till we get the same hear in the uk
:)

Morgan Herritage 01-25-2013 08:52 PM

Parkinson's would be a perfect candidate. In Ca it is basically what helps the patient. Anxiety, to spark hunger, for pain, PTSD ect. Just as long as the physician agrees and writes the perscription.

Jazziecat 05-05-2013 01:47 AM

I have been using MM about six weeks now. I am happy that it has not triggered a desire to smoke cigarettes again. I'm not sure how it's helped the Parkinson's but some other discomforts such as upper arm pain is greatly reduced.

Since I was not familiar with using marijuana, it took me a little bit to learn how to best use it. I ended up finally with a vaporizer and that did the trick for me.

GinLee 05-26-2013 10:08 AM

After nearly 4 years of post- surgical pain following a 9 level spinal fusion I finally decided to try MM for the pain. I've never smoked anything before and my lungs were definitely unprepared. I coughed violently for hours after only a few puffs. Wasn't worth it. I also tried lozenges and tincture - nothing. Not even a "high."
Then recently I was in such pain I was willing to try again. This time it definitely helped but I was so stoned I was worthless. I had to go to bed to keep the word from tilting. Again, only a few puffs.
If you try, try it more than once. It was the 5th try before I got relief.

Jazziecat 05-27-2013 03:08 AM

You can get MM in pill form; you might find that's better for you. Also my doctor warned me MM edibles are stronger than other forms of use. I tried a brownie, at first felt nothing...but then it hit me. Was very pricey but I wanted to try it once. I'm a sweet lover so maybe it's a good thing it costs too much cause that brownie was good tasting.

Also...I am still learning....different strains of marijuana give different results. Some are better suited to relieve pain or anxiety, energy, etc. I reallywish I knew about marijuana years ago when I used to suffer panic attacks. There wasn't a lot of help available years ago and the only option was hypnosis. That helped some but when I finally started on amitriptyline, that got me the relief I needed. I've been on that med for 30 years and thankful every day for the relief it gives me.

eva5667faliure 05-27-2013 06:59 AM

yes it does help just be responsible
especially if taking meds
never drink ANY ALCOHOL EVER
i need it for pain and nausea
be responsible
it should be given
to patients how could
benefit any relief in any
way

Amen!

someone who cares

leoski11 06-11-2013 10:25 AM

Medical Weed

I've been a "medical marijuana" user for the past 10 months. Since I quite drinking, marijuana is an excellent stress reducer and I feel much better for you than alcohol. I find marijuana to not have any contraindication with the Effexor and Mirapex that I am taking.
Good luck and happy high.....

Nightlightrepairman 07-14-2013 02:14 PM

Question about MM and elivil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazziecat (Post 987072)
You can get MM in pill form; you might find that's better for you. Also my doctor warned me MM edibles are stronger than other forms of use. I tried a brownie, at first felt nothing...but then it hit me. Was very pricey but I wanted to try it once. I'm a sweet lover so maybe it's a good thing it costs too much cause that brownie was good tasting.

Also...I am still learning....different strains of marijuana give different results. Some are better suited to relieve pain or anxiety, energy, etc. I reallywish I knew about marijuana years ago when I used to suffer panic attacks. There wasn't a lot of help available years ago and the only option was hypnosis. That helped some but when I finally started on amitriptyline, that got me the relief I needed. I've been on that med for 30 years and thankful every day for the relief it gives me.

Have you experienced any MM and elicit interactions?

razzle51 07-14-2013 03:50 PM

where do you get the pill and what is it called

Dr. Smith 07-15-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzle51 (Post 999946)
where do you get the pill and what is it called

Marinol is probably the best known. It is available by prescription only, and only for very specific conditions.

Sativex is a sublingual spray that has been approved in Canada, UK and others.

See: Pharmacologic THC and THC derivatives

Doc

eva5667faliure 07-15-2013 11:48 AM

No high here

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoski11 (Post 991218)
I've been a "medical marijuana" user for the past 10 months. Since I quite drinking, marijuana is an excellent stress reducer and I feel much better for you than alcohol. I find marijuana to not have any contraindication with the Effexor and Mirapex that I am taking.
Good luck and happy high.....

I happy to hear is helps you
I however don't get that high that I
am aware of and have experienced it
Legal here in N.J. but in the manner it is
written for it to be difficult to obtain
It does help no doubt
All my doctors are informed
None have an issue rather
helpful sharing

Someone who cares

eva5667faliure 07-15-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1000038)
Marinol is probably the best known. It is available by prescription only, and only for very specific conditions.

Sativex is a sublingual spray that has been approved in Canada, UK and others.

See: Pharmacologic THC and THC derivatives

Doc

Just a hello
Hope your doing well
and enjoying life

Someone who cares

MicheleN 08-29-2013 10:45 AM

I know this is a kind of old thread, but I take Marinol! I use it off label for pain, seizures, and nausea. Prior to that I was on Cesamet, a synthetic cannabinoid that was taken off the market for some reason. Feel free to ask questions if anyone has any.

Preemptive answers to two questions that will probably come up: It's no where near as effective as eaten or smoked medical marijuana. It's available in a generic, so it's inexpensive.

Dr. Smith 08-29-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MicheleN (Post 1011035)
I know this is a kind of old thread, but I take Marinol! I use it off label for pain, seizures, and nausea. Prior to that I was on Cesamet, a synthetic cannabinoid that was taken off the market for some reason.

I hadn't heard of Cesamet (nabilone) previously, but in looking it up I find that it has been available in the US since 2006.

Does this agree with your experience?

Doc

ginnie 08-29-2013 04:58 PM

Hi leo

I have a strong opinion about this. I am allowed Morphine, percocet, but not MJ? Now really, which drugs would cause the most damage?. I can't die from MJ and it may even help. However in my state is it not allowed. So, I involved myself with the legislation in this state, getting some petitions going. I am 61 and feel I most likely will be dead before it is approved in this state. Maybe for future progress this fight must go on. I would try this if it were legal and see for myself if it did me any good. Micro managing of our lives is getting pretty scary.
I'm a big girl now, and would make a choice based on my own experience. I have questioned my doctors, neither would approve of a script even if it was legal. There is a long way to go on this subject. Many many medications are derived from plants, so what is the beef with this one? Is it all about money and who gets it? I think that is part of the issue. Tax it and national debt would go right out the window! ginnie:grouphug:

Dr. Smith 08-30-2013 09:51 AM

Different issues—both political

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 1011111)
I have questioned my doctors, neither would approve of a script even if it was legal.

I think at least some, if not most, might change their answers after it became a legal medical option. It depends partly on their personal politics and partly on keeping their opinions private in a hostile environment. ;)

Quote:

There is a long way to go on this subject. Many many medications are derived from plants, so what is the beef with this one? Is it all about money and who gets it? I think that is part of the issue. Tax it and national debt would go right out the window! ginnie:grouphug:
Indubitably. It is perplexing, and while attitudes are changing as Boomers age, some changes take more time than others. According to my former college professors, societal change takes (on average) a generation (~30 years) to substantially realize. Of course some (like racism) take longer, and others take less. IMO organized activism makes a huge difference.

Now that 2 states have legalized marijuana, undoubtedly more will follow.
Quote:

Democratic [Pennsylvania] state Sen. Daylin Leach compared marijuana legalization efforts to the debate over legalizing same-sex marriage: once a few states act, it will disprove "all the horror stories" perpetuated by opponents.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/marij...g-other-states
Doc

ginnie 08-30-2013 11:41 AM

Thanks Doc.

I just hope that this issue gets onto a ballot. I wish this would happen in my lifetime, so that I have an opportunity to determine what is good for me. I think if a tomato plant showed some properties that the Gov. didn't like, they would make those against the law too!:eek:ginnie:grouphug::eek:

MicheleN 08-30-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1011104)
I hadn't heard ofCesamet (nabilone) previously, but in looking it up I find that it has been available in the US since 2006.

Doc

I was first prescribed 1 mg Cesamet/2 X daily in August of 2011. I was told by my pharmacist--and later verified by doctor after I brought it up--that it went off the market sometime in 2012 (I can't recall the exact date, but I do remember needing a Marinol 'fridge in my hotel room for my wedding in April 2012). That pharmacist proved to be an immoral jerk, but my doctor is a good "outside of the office" friend who wouldn't have lied to me. (He would also be very blunt if he thought I was abusing a medication.)

It appears, however, that the Internet says it's still available... I wonder what's up? My insurance website says that it costs $50 for my previous prescription, so I'll ask my doctor if something's changed! If it has, I have an immeasurable amount of gratitude towards you. :hug:

MicheleN 08-30-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1011104)
I hadn't heard of Cesamet (nabilone) previously, but in looking it up I find that it has been available in the US since 2006.

Doc

I can't edit my post because they're moderated due to my post count, but I also recall my doctor calling a pharmacist friend to ask him about the availability of Cesamet. (I was with him in his office, so I heard the call on speakerphone.) The pharmacist also looked it up and saw that it wasn't available. Could it have been/be related to my insurance--or perhaps my location? My doctor is in Kew Gardens, NYC and I live just south of Newark, NJ, if that helps. (Though I just looked at the FDA approval history and see no mention of any changes since 2008.)

Dr. Smith 08-30-2013 10:48 PM

"Unavailable" is different than "off the market" (not disbelieving what you say you were told! :)) I get "unavailable" quite often, and insurance companies do change what they'll cover and what they won't, and that's different still. Then again, DEA is different than FDA, and that regulation may have changed. From Cesamet's website:
Quote:

...there are laws about how doctors can prescribe it. Prescriptions for Cesamet should last for just a few days.
Given nabilone's potential for neuropathic pain, it's too bad it isn't prescribed for that more often.

Doc