NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   I'm going back to working out! (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/185421-im.html)

MiaVita2012 03-14-2013 10:02 AM

I'm going back to working out!

At this point knowing that the past 12months I been on do nothing status for a total of 8months!I am done letting this physical battle win...It is time to start pushing the physical activity before I lose all my muscle mass(very close).

I got some 3pds weights yesterday and going to start with working with those and starting a lite Zumba class for beginners and start riding bike (indoors).

I still cannot run because of balance,jaw,head,back,neck(I used to run 2miles a day)

I had talked the other day with vestibular therapist about how I pushed myself threw all the really bad symptoms until Nov when my brain shut down from school and my biz and got a diagnosis.We agreed we are going to push baby steps and there will be some pain but we aren't doing to make too much pain....I suppose to wait for her but I cannot....I got to start NOW!lol:D

MiaVita2012 03-14-2013 02:25 PM

Well

I did a 30min beginner zumba class with real good stretch to just get blood circulating and then went home and walked 5blocks, then jogged lite 2blocks(I could not resist)!Every 3 blocks I walked I stopped and stretched and did this routine 5times:D so about 3miles:eek:My body& mind was not telling me to stop!!!:wink:

I finished with of course real good stretch and hot shower 25min.....no pain at moment.

I stayed on flat surface no incline....Don't need incline....I know how a incline did just from a walk before.

***I guess I am pushing and feeling/thinking good***:grouphug:

mouse1 03-14-2013 02:37 PM

Good luck with this, I know there is absolutely no chance I could manage what you have done. Walking and light swimming still provokes symptoms, I can only dream of running!

MiaVita2012 03-14-2013 02:57 PM

Mouse

How far are you Mouse?

cyclecrash 03-14-2013 03:06 PM

Wow! Congrats on getting through that and realising you were able to do far more than you thought possible! I can't help thinking though that that sounds like an awful lot to do for your first time exercising in a long time. I hope I'm wrong and you're ok with it.

wouldn't want anyone else on here to think that what you accomplished today is a good amount of activity if they're thinking of starting back up some exercise. Slow and steady with lots of success and few setbacks might be better.

I'm sorry I don't mean to sound negative.... congratulations on the start to your new fit you!

Thanks for sharing!
CC

mouse1 03-14-2013 03:20 PM

Fine thankyou, symptoms reducing all the time, just being very careful all the time so I don't provoke anything. Thinking of returning to work on a phased basis, 1 day first week, 2 days second week etc. So things looking up thanks.

MiaVita2012 03-14-2013 03:25 PM

CC

I was doing lite walking since September and upped it to faster walking and more times a week and for longer times.I did not just jump up and say I am going to do this as first physical exercise....

Before I knew what was my diagnosis when in school in September I was having major problems with physical and cognitive shut downs on my brain doing homework...so from my studies I knew that to get blood flow and build more brain cells I would have to stop every 30min and take a slow walk around the block to finish any homework or papers.

NO BY ALL MEANS I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS TO ANYONE THAT IS UNDER A YEAR AND HALF OF PCS!

I HAVE A ADVANTAGE WITH THE VESTIBULAR BECAUSE I SKI & SNOWBOARD SINCE I WAS 5YEARS OLD.

ANOTHER THING I WOULD LIKE TO TRY TO PHYSICALLY TRY TO IMPROVE MY BODY THEN TO JUST DO A SURGERY FOR MY NECK & BACK

I will be going on 2years very soon and I cannot baby this PCS anymore!!!I want to do this only 2 days a week and other days just walk!

Yes my MDs are probably going to spazz out but my mind set rite now is if it does not kill me then it makes me stronger!

I was one that had no choice to find out I had a concussion directly after accident so yes I been pushing threw ALL the symptoms and doing every house chore,grocery shopping etc for myself for a year and half sick as ****.I am still young and out of the subacute stage....so I am going to push that there is a little pain but not a lot!

***ALSO I AM NOT WORKING OR GOING TO SCHOOL SO I DO NOT HAVE THAT STRESS ON MY BODY***

MiaVita2012 03-14-2013 03:30 PM

Mouse when did you have your concussion?Or do you suffer from multiple concussions?
Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 965895)
Fine thankyou, symptoms reducing all the time, just being very careful all the time so I don't provoke anything. Thinking of returning to work on a phased basis, 1 day first week, 2 days second week etc. So things looking up thanks.

mouse1 03-14-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaVita2012 (Post 965898)
Mouse when did you have your concussion?Or do you suffer from multiple concussions?

Early November last year, but had another blackout/concussion January when I collapsed. Still waiting for a symptom free day, but medication is helping me greatly to deal with my mood, I got very down and worried about the whole thing. Dealing with this head on has in turn seemed to have changed my outlook, I am more positive and I feel this has reduced my symptoms.

MiaVita2012 03-14-2013 05:27 PM

Mouse

That is the first step is acceptance to this syndrome I believe and with acceptance you can focus on inner peace which sounds like you are by trying to stay positive....be kind to yourself and you are still in the very subacute stage but in your future things will get better....as to regards to work if it is stress I would leave it alone...I know oh do I know that is easier said then done!

Can you brief me about your initial concussion?And why did you pass out?What MDs are you seeing?Where are you located if you don't mind?

mouse1 03-15-2013 04:41 AM

Hit my head on the metal corner of my car door very hard due to a strong gust of wind. I drove 30 minutes before passing out, and I dont know how long I was out for. Started getting very dizzy, then fuzzy with headaches and then full blown PCS symptoms. I started feeling a little better around Christmas, but by increasing activity I provoked migraines and insomnia bout for 3 days which concluded with a collapse at 530 am in the morning. I haven't felt as well since this collapse, but things have started to improve. Symptoms started coming and going, but after a bad weekend provoked by stress the migraines and symptoms came back. After this I decided I needed medication, and since taking Cymbalta my mood, sleep and pain are all better and all symptoms are reducing even further, although I have very tired legs. Still am exercise intolerant though, but there are signs this is improving and I don't know when this will change back again. I have had two clear CT scans and I am in the UK.

MiaVita2012 03-15-2013 06:09 AM

Mouse

I totally understand I have been there trust and believe!Mine was prolonged because I kept relapsing because I was pushing to much.I was doing to much because I could not get a diagnosis!And I even landed on bed rest!My advice to you is to take it easy and in time you will be able to go back to activities and this is a slow process that pays off.:hug:

MiaVita2012 03-15-2013 06:21 AM

No Symptoms

I have no symptoms from jaw MRI that my mouth was open for 2hrs the other day.

And no symptoms from yesterdays workout except the normal body soreness from from using muscles nothing serious...Kind of a good pain after all the horrible pain I been threw in past year and 9months:D

I will only do this type of workout 2times a week and other days do fast walking.:winky:

mouse1 03-15-2013 07:36 AM

Good luck with your exercise regime. I am taking it easy, but going back and doing things where I previously failed or provoked symptoms. E.g: today I hoovered the whole house wearing earplugs and mopped the downstairs. This is something that would have made me very ill two weeks ago but doesn't now. This is not only rewarding, confidence building, but also improves my stamina. I need to build my stamina to go back to work, and it is a stressful job, but its something I have to do. This afternoon I am heading for the shops! I am going to beat this!

cyclecrash 03-15-2013 07:59 AM

I'm sorry I misunderstood! By reading your title and your first post I thought you were going back to exercising after about 8 months of doing nothing. Glad you're still feeling well and getting back out there!

I'm heading out for my first yoga session soon. It's "gentle yoga for mature adults" so I'm hoping I'll be able to do the 75 minute session. She said that nobody has ever had to stop and that it will probably be too easy for me. I'm looking for successes to bolster my confidence moving forward so I'm ok with easy!

I hope you're still having a good day!
CC

mouse1 03-16-2013 10:33 AM

I am delighted to say I just walked 2 miles, just have a mild headache, so things looking up. Symptoms have been greatly reduced all week, even though I have been more active than ever. Had my first day yesterday with minimal noise/light sensitivity, and that didn't come until 830pm when I was tired. I am going to keep up with this walking and step up the pace over the coming weeks. Will be back at work soon.

MiaVita2012 03-16-2013 01:28 PM

That is GREAT!!!

I am so happy that you did a little push and hope you continue to take baby steps forward:DNow remember that it takes 24hrs for symptoms to rev up....And remember to try to stay on flat land and grass for padding is even better in days to come....I would also recommend the best orthopedic tennis shoe I found is the Reebok ZIG.... keep us posted:hug:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 966532)
I am delighted to say I just walked 2 miles, just have a mild headache, so things looking up. Symptoms have been greatly reduced all week, even though I have been more active than ever. Had my first day yesterday with minimal noise/light sensitivity, and that didn't come until 830pm when I was tired. I am going to keep up with this walking and step up the pace over the coming weeks. Will be back at work soon.

mouse1 03-17-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaVita2012 (Post 966577)
I am so happy that you did a little push and hope you continue to take baby steps forward:DNow remember that it takes 24hrs for symptoms to rev up....And remember to try to stay on flat land and grass for padding is even better in days to come....I would also recommend the best orthopedic tennis shoe I found is the Reebok ZIG.... keep us posted:hug:

After my walk, I swam 6 lengths yesterday evening. Just done another 2 miles this morning up and down hills on the road with trainers on, and will swim another 6 lengths tonight. I have a bit of fullness in my head and very sore legs, but that's it so far, other symptoms are going and staying away. Previously I couldn't have walked this far, and even at half the distance would have made myself ill for several days.

Mokey 03-17-2013 09:55 AM

Exercise is important
when you can tolerate it. All the research on brains and dementia support getting aerobic exercise.

Check out the Univ of Buffalo research ( Dr Leddy):

http://www.brainline.org/content/201...r_pageall.html

I am reading a great book called 'Spark' which examines this issue (not just in relation to brain trauma).

Keep it up! I am not there yet but slowly are trying to get the heart rate up after 18 months of not doing so!

camyam73 03-17-2013 10:20 AM

WOW! So happy for everyone who is moving on to exercising... I tried a VERY slow walk, two weeks in a row.. first week I went just over a mile, second week, 2/3 of a mile, had lasting headaches after each workout, which endured for nearly a week each time.

I'm not sure how I could tone down the workout... I was walking at .8 miles per hour, barely a saunter! Other than exercise and lifting I am low symptom for the most part, but the moment I lift, strain, exercise, or otherwise get my BP up, I am in trouble... Any ideas from the veterans here would really be appreciated!

cyclecrash 03-17-2013 10:41 AM

Hi Camyam,

You don't mention whether you have dizziness or not but my guess is that your headaches and problems with walking are eye related. Have you had your eyes looked at? To increase your stamina and oxygen to your brain, try non-moving exercise like stationary bike. I was able to do this but not able to walk. Start out for 5 or 10 minutes if that's all you can do and don't go fast or have the tension set high.

Since starting vestibular therapy, and starting to get my dizziness under control, I have again starting trying to walk. I'm going by time and not by distance. Right now I'm doing 5 minutes. My eyes have gotten a little better over time but I still think they are the main source of my dizziness, headaches and nausea.

I tried "gentle yoga for mature folks" on Friday. I'm only 39 but was told this was the best yoga for folks recovering from illness/injury. It was basically stretching and meditating. I still felt worse for that day and the next even with this basic exercise but I will do it again because I knew I wasn't go to immediately feel better.

ANY exercise is going to cause a little more fatigue or a bit of a headache or some fuzziness because we've been inactive for so long. Give it a day or two and then do it again. It will get easier and better.

About 15 years ago my fibromyalgia was at its worst and I was literally sleeping 20+ hours a day. Any movement (doing up a button, brushing teeth, eating) was exhausting and painful. I would fall asleep eating dinner. After about a year of this, and with no answers from doctors, I said enough is enough and started "exercising". I started with a 5 minute walk for a few weeks. Then 7 minutes, then 10, etc. Very slowly going up. I kept at it and eventually got back to working full time, going to school part time and again taking care of my young son. Last year I ran a half marathon and was training for a full marathon.

Every time there was a flare up of symptoms but I kept going knowing that I was not doing any physical harm to myself and eventually my body got used to it and the confidence that I could do it helped. It is possible to get moving again but sometimes you have to take it REALLY REALLY slowly. Better to be doing 5 minutes then nothing at all.

One other thing I learned back then was to do things you REALLY REALLY enjoy because you will pay less attention to the symptoms. If you just go out for a walk by yourself you will be thinking, oh is that a headache starting, I think I'm a bit dizzy, my stomach feels weird, etc. but if you're doing something you want to be doing you won't notice the symptoms as much. Just don't over do it.

I'm sure I got really off track here.... hope something helps!

CC

mouse1 03-17-2013 02:37 PM

I did even more than planned today, after my two mile walk this morning, I walked another mile this afternoon, and finished off with 12 lengths in the pool this evening. The result is just a mild headache.

Two weeks ago I got severe symptoms from swimming 5 lengths that lasted 2 days. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, and I will keep walking tomorrow.

MiaVita2012 03-17-2013 02:53 PM

Mouse

MOUSE~I NEED TO CATH UP WITH YOU!You are even going up hills that is great!!!!(I can't do hills because my jaw is dislocated for the moment).I am VERY HAPPY for you:D I have a question for you...how many days a week are you going to do the intense workouts?

mouse1 03-17-2013 04:37 PM

I am not sure, it seems that each day I am getting better and I want to build up my stamina. Very little reaction to swimming and walking so I will continue with this daily, it is making me stronger. If this starter programme works out ok, I might go try the gym in a months time.

MiaVita2012 03-17-2013 04:40 PM

Very positive

GOOD ATTITUDE!!!Just remember to keep level headed (just incase) but that is not even in the plan but you know how life goes:hug:

MiaVita2012 03-28-2013 08:18 PM

Update

Me and my certified V therapist agreed that I was ok to do this workout 2 times a week just like first page post with the walking/stretching/jogging. She just told me what I told myself listen and feel body symptoms and do not over push.And on other day a week I suppose to just walk the dog.So I guess I will see where this goes and how I manage. I know I have enough anger that I need to blow off to do this.lol

Now I need to find time with all this rehabilitation that is starting up and the deal breaker will be when I get word from my jaw MD:eek:

I do not suggest ANYBODY DOING THIS THAT IS NOT PAST A YEAR AND OK IT WITH MD

Stacyrose 03-28-2013 10:17 PM

If your body can handle a little physical activity I think that's great! My husband just started going back to the gym (9 months since his accident) 3 days /week and I already notice a difference. He is actually seeming happy. It's great to see. I know for him he can't do anything with impact, like running, or he will get migraines. Good for you for starting this next step in your recovery.