NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Exhausted (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/186545-exhausted.html)

mouse1 04-07-2013 01:10 PM

Exhausted

I am absolutely exhausted, I haven't done anything this weekend apart from sit around but no let up in being tired.

I did two days last week in work, and had to get up at 645am for this, and worked 8-1. I over did things after work on Friday and still haven't recovered, my legs are like lead. Yesterday I was in pain so ended up taking Imigran and Nurofen on top of my Cymbalta for right sided facial pain. I wonder if this drug combination increases fatigue, it really pushes up serotonin levels anyway.

I have been pain free today thankfully. I have to do two 8-1 days and one 8-5 this week, so am now wondering how I am going to do it when I feel so bad now. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow when I have work, I am still optimistic about things, but didn't realise that trying to get back to normality would be so tiring.

Brain patch 04-07-2013 01:24 PM

Mouse,
I am so sorry you are feeling so bad. I am also so proud of you for trying so hard. You are really doing a lot. Maybe if you need to you can cut back a little. 8 to 1 sounds do-able for you but 8 to 5? I don't know. I don't want you to get frustrated. You are doing so well and so much. Take it easy on yourself today. Get plenty of sleep and rest. Drink a lot of water. Never underestimate the power of water. I use something called emergen-c, it is a packet that you mix with your water that has a lot of vitamin c and b vitamins and just makes you feel really perked up. It tastes good too. Helps me a lot. Gives me an energy buzz. Maybe this can help you at work when you start to drag.
I am really proud of you. Please be kind to yourself. If you need to do less there is no shame in it. You are giving it your all.
Brain :hug:

mouse1 04-07-2013 01:52 PM

Thanks for your support. I am just going to concentrate on getting through my work week and do nothing else. As soon as I get home I am going to rest, and tonight I am having a hot bath to try and lift the fatigue and have an early night. I was due in for 4 days the following week with two 8-5 days, but depending on how I get on I might have to cut back. I have an understanding employer and good colleagues so this helps.

Mokey 04-07-2013 01:55 PM

It feels awful to be exhausted! I have had a similar bad time of it this week....not functioning well....and then my spouse who is stressed from my injury opened a box of new knives and somehow one went through the top of his hand. Rushed to emergency...and he waited ten hours...came home at 4:30 am. I didn't sleep and finally tried a muscle relaxant and melatonin and still didn't sleep but have been groggy ever since!!
I guess muscle relaxants don't work on nerve pain behind the eyes. Now i know! And melatonin has not worked for me since my MTBI.....live and learn. I don't even feel safe enough to drive or use a knife myself!
Having said all that, we need to just get through this bad day and wake up hopefully feeling a bit more energetic tomorrow!
Healing is hard work, Mouse, and it sure takes a lot of deep down strength and commitment to keep up the healing struggle. Keep digging deep inside yourself to find your strength...and keep on going.

Su seb 04-07-2013 08:41 PM

Your health

I have been struggling for six months with balancing rest and work. I think I have slowed my healing because I have worked too much. If I could go back, I would rest more, your brain is more important! If you are experiencing symptoms, back off. Especially if your employer is understanding.
Interestingly, grocery stores and shopping in general is one of the worst things for me. So if I need to get through the work week I make sure to stay away from them.
Good luck
Su seb

Brain patch 04-07-2013 10:00 PM

Good luck at work tomorrow

Just wanted to give you some encouragement for work tomorrow. Hope you have a good day and make it through without any problems. Remember to come home and take it easy. Don't push yourself too hard too fast. This is coming along for you. Slow and easy brother. Slow and easy. Take plenty of breaks. Drink lots of water. Keep a positive attitude. If you need to leave early or can't make it that is ok. You are doing great. Proud of your progress. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there with a head injury. Sounds like you have some good people that you work with. Let them help if needed. Good luck! Will keep you in my prayers.

mouse1 04-08-2013 08:50 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, work went very well today, I took extra pain meds at breakfast (which I haven't done for a very long time) and this worked great. I was in a 2.5 hour meeting and was able to follow and contribute well, without worrying about eye, ear and facial pain. Getting a good nights sleep is so important as well to get you through a working day. I am becoming a lot more optimistic and positive about the future and don't feel so tired today. Down time all day today though to prepare me for work tommorow, when I am away from work I am taking it really slow.

cyclecrash 04-08-2013 09:54 AM

So glad to hear today went well! I was worried for you. I hope to hear that the whole week went well come Friday! So great to have a success posted as it's happening!

Thanks for sharing and get some rest.

CC

Brain patch 04-08-2013 10:00 PM

Glad to hear work went well for you today mouse! You are doing a great job. Hope tomorrow goes just as good. It is very hopeful and positive that you are doing so well. You have made amazing progress. Keep up the good work. Don't feel badly if you need to take it slower. Sometimes it is one step back and two steps forward. I am proud of you. You are facing these difficulties like a champion.

mouse1 04-09-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks, I just did my 8-5 and this went well, dealt with quite a lot of problems in work, really tired now. Just wish the facial pain would go away, I think it is nerve pain so might have to go back to the doctor about this. Then again my pain could be up because I am trying to work again.

MiaVita2012 04-09-2013 12:15 PM

Good Job

I am very happy for you that you are moving along with work.I would see the M.D. about facial pain.What is your facial pain like? Is it like muscle spasms?If so I know ALL about those.

mouse1 04-09-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaVita2012 (Post 973399)
I am very happy for you that you are moving along with work.I would see the M.D. about facial pain.What is your facial pain like? Is it like muscle spasms?If so I know ALL about those.

Thanks. It is like a aching pain, but it is in the right sided of my face in my nostril, cheek, gums, teeth, forehead, temple, eye and ear. It comes and goes. I used to get head pressure on the left and then right side of my head but this has gone now, and migraines if I did too much. Cymbalta has really helped to reduce these symptoms though, and I just top up with regular nurofen and paracetamol. I understand that anticonvulsant medication might be an option for trigemenal neuralgia, I hope I don't have this, but it could be possible.

mouse1 04-11-2013 09:42 AM

Got through my third week in work, off tomorrow and then the weekend. Don't feel so tired today, but have three full days next week which will be a challenge. Still going very slow, and not working at my previous pace, but the more I do then the more confident I am becoming. I have an excellent manager and work colleagues so this is a great help.

cyclecrash 04-11-2013 10:25 AM

That is so great for you! I do agree that part of our problems is not THINKING we can do something and the more you try little things and realize they are ok, the more you are able to continue doing.

It's so exciting to see you succeeding at this! I hope to be there sometime this year myself. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great, restful weekend!

CC

Brain patch 04-11-2013 01:07 PM

Great job Mouse! You are doing wonderful. I am so proud of you. You are really making it back. Sounds like you are not only making it back but also being an asset to this company. You are giving input and holding your own. That is amazing. I know you must be tired. I am glad you have some days off to recover and relax. Keep up the good work. It is great to see your confidence up.

poetrymom 04-11-2013 02:19 PM

Great accomplishment!

You're back at work and that is a **huge** accomplishment. No doubt you're exhausted, but you're making it. This, for me, is encouragement.

ninelives 04-11-2013 03:13 PM

Gosh you have done so well am really pleased for you. Some times we need to push ourselves through the boundaries and see where we are . You also seem to know your limits and when to stop pushing. So very well done, I do hope things continue like this for you. Some times we hold back afraid of what might happen, when in fact we should test the water and see. Well done you. Am so happy for you xxx
Cx

mouse1 04-16-2013 01:28 PM

I have kept pushing myself this week, I have done two 8-5 days on the trot, trippled my computer work and upped my all round activity. Guess what? I feel much better than this time last week. I think I have been pushing/testing myself but this was at the wrong time, now I am pushing myself and I am getting more done without the old symptoms coming back. There is clearly a right and wrong time to push yourself, I just hope it lasts.

Virginia in Canada 04-16-2013 07:07 PM

Glad to hear this. Hope you keep improving.

mouse1 04-18-2013 09:08 AM

Thanks, that's another week over with 3 x 8.5's, and I am gaining energy all the time. My plan is now:

Week 5: 3 x 8-5
Week 6: 3 x 8-5
Week 7: 3 × 8-5 + 1 × 8-1
Week 8: 3 x 8-5 + 1 × 8-1

Mokey 04-18-2013 10:28 AM

Great news! Take is easy, though. I have ramped up sometimes and then had a period (weeks) of dysfunction.

mouse1 04-18-2013 02:02 PM

Mokey, your advice is a bit late. I actually went to the gym early this evening and did 25 mins on the Crosstrainer, jogged 15 mins on treadmill (a first since injury)and did 10 mins on stationary bike. I felt I was up to it and have so far have been proved right, as its 3 hours later and I am not fatigued and have a mild headache. I think when I can do this level of exercise without any reaction I will be completely better. So its maybe fair to say I am nearly better.

Mokey 04-18-2013 02:49 PM

Wonderful!!!! Keep it up!

GingerandBella 04-19-2013 10:05 AM

Feel Better

[QUOTE=mouse1;972783]I am absolutely exhausted, I haven't done anything this weekend apart from sit around but no let up in being tired.

Sorry to hear about you being so exhausted - it sounds like you are doing too much - can you reduce your workload?

I think being tired is normal - as my 8:30pm bedtime dictates.

I really wish there were more studies done - sounds like many are suffering.

Hang in there:)

mouse1 04-19-2013 10:42 AM

Thanks for your concern, but there is no need. I really am getting better and can even go to the gym without getting too tired or provoking symptoms. I hoovered the house today (without earplugs) and mopped all the floors, if I did this month ago it would have made me very ill. I am back working and things are really starting to look up, but this will be an ordeal I will never, ever forget!

Tpont21 04-19-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 976545)
Thanks for your concern, but there is no need. I really am getting better and can even go to the gym without getting too tired or provoking symptoms. I hoovered the house today (without earplugs) and mopped all the floors, if I did this month ago it would have made me very ill. I am back working and things are really starting to look up, but this will be an ordeal I will never, ever forget!

Mouse, I feel the same way. This will be an ordeal I will never forget. Even though it seems you are a little further along in your recovery, I know when I get out of this it will be a life-changing experience. I know I'll appreciate life so much more and not take anything for granted. I may never snowboard again, I don't know. I just know I never want another concussion in my life. I wish you the best in your recovery and I hope you keep heading in the right direction!

poetrymom 04-19-2013 12:50 PM

Life chaning event!

Goodness yes

So glad you are feeling better and can work out Mouse.

My husband makes wine. I have enjoyed his wine over the years, but I doubt I can ever enjoy alcohol again the way I did. I am really at peace with that thoug, because if I never have another concussion again and then PCS-- it will be a small, minor, manageable thing not to drink wine or any alcohol.

I find I am so grateful for so many things now. Clean sheets, good food, herbal tea (no caffeine for me either -- and that is a permanent change for the good) my plants, my husband, his cooking, our daughter,,,it goes on and on

Life is a blessing. How we interpret what happens to us, how we go forward with the setbacks, the joys, everything -- this is what matters.

Keep on healing mouse and let us know more about it.

Sincerely,

Poetrymom

mouse1 04-19-2013 02:48 PM

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you, and would say that there is actually something good that can come from PCS. As you come to the end of it you appreciate what you have and indeed all the things you have missed and indeed taken for granted.

I will appreciate life more than ever, I intend to get fitter and healthier than I have ever been before. I used to drink quite a lot of wine at weekends, but I don't drink now either, I think abstaining has helped my recovery. I hope I can have a glass of wine or two again, but I am in no rush either as there are more important priorities in my changed life. PCS has given me a new perspective because I thought all I had was lost, but thankfully it isn't. I hope you all get better too!

Virginia in Canada 04-19-2013 07:27 PM

Great news

Glad to hear that you're doing better.

mouse1 05-15-2013 02:01 PM

Just to let you know that after working a 3 day week for two months, I am finally moving up to a 4 day week.

This will consist of 3 x 8-6 days and 1 x 8-1 and I have agreed with my employer that this will be my working hours from now on. I am not going above this, and will have 3 days off Fri, Sat, Sun. I also look after my 3 young children by myself for two afternoons. I am leading a pretty full on life again.

I am going full pelt in work now, but since stopping the SNRI Cymbalta I have more fatigue and headaches. I have given up on exercise - I have enough going on already! The headaches grow as the day goes on and only go away with Imigran. I am going to speak to my doctor about getting a preventative medication.

I am approaching 7 months post injury and am probably functioning at 90% these days as long as I don't exercise or push myself too hard.

Good luck to you all, PCS recovery will come - it just takes patience, rest and a whole lot of time!

poetrymom 05-15-2013 03:26 PM

Thanks!

Man it's good to read news like this.

It just makes my day -- so keep us all updated. We all need hope.

yay!

I just feel happy today.

Sincerly,

pm