NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Amitriptyline (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/189517-amitriptyline.html)

mouse1 06-05-2013 09:03 AM

Amitriptyline

Anyone used this and how did they find it?

My doctor is switching me to this medication at 10mg today to replace Cymbalta.

jac3sr 06-05-2013 10:17 AM

Not great for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 989550)
Anyone used this and how did they find it?

My doctor is switching me to this medication at 10mg today to replace Cymbalta.

I was on it for the first two months to help me sleep...which it did, but that was all I felt like doing and it made feel like a zombie. I also had a lot of nightmares.

This was just my experience. I have not taken Cymbalta, so I don't know what the difference would be.

mouse1 06-05-2013 10:38 AM

Cymbalta has been great for mood and pain, but it gave me an upset stomach so I am reluctantly stopping it. I hope Amytriptyline isn't as bad as you say, otherwise I will be asking for an alternative medication because I am 90% better and quite active.

Consider 06-05-2013 11:06 AM

Are you feeling nauseous from the Cymbalta? If so, there are ways around that. Because Paxil gave me an upset stomach, I was put on Remeron as an addon, and I noticed a HUGE difference. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and stop Cymbalta if it works. Plus since you've only been on it for a short time, the upset stomach may be a side effect that will wean away with time.

NormaW 06-05-2013 11:09 AM

Tried it for 6 weeks

Hi Mouse,

I tried it for 6 weeks (10 mg) to see if it would get rid of my headaches. My headaches are still here so I went off of it. Boy did I sleep. I was probably sleeping 12 hours at night and sometimes a nap in the afternoon.

I actually find the 100 mg of gravol (I think it is 12 hours) helps me sleep and of course deals with the nausea.

Not sure if this is a recommended course of action.....

You can always try and if not go off, I need to start talking something for headaches and depression/anxiety but so many of the drugs have the same side effects as pcs and I have a hard enough time figuring out how I am feeling and why.

Good Luck.

mouse1 06-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consider (Post 989601)
Are you feeling nauseous from the Cymbalta? If so, there are ways around that. Because Paxil gave me an upset stomach, I was put on Remeron as an addon, and I noticed a HUGE difference. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and stop Cymbalta if it works. Plus since you've only been on it for a short time, the upset stomach may be a side effect that will wean away with time.

I have been thinking the same thing, Cymbalta definately works. I have been working today, cooked dinner for the family and did 2 hours weeding in the garden this evening and I feel fine.

It makes me wonder if it is wise to stop it and replace it with a tablet that might not necessarily stop headaches and makes me sleep.

Diarrhea throughout the morning is the issue, but as you say this could be temporary so I probably will not change things around yet, and I have 4 months scripts for medication.

mouse1 06-05-2013 04:17 PM

I really don't want to stop something that is helping the PCS, so I did a little bit of internet research.

I found out that for some people Cymbalta causes excess stomach acid which leads to diarrhea.

Just gone to get some over the counter remedies for excess stomach acid and I have taken them. Hopefully this will do the trick!

I will therefore be skipping the Amytriptyline tonight.

Mokey 06-05-2013 05:40 PM

I tried it for only a few days and it made me feel like a zombie too. Apparently nortryptilene is less of a zombie drug but similar.

dare2bdifferent 06-05-2013 11:02 PM

I also tried amitriptyline for headaches and insomnia. It didn't alleviate either of these symptoms for me.

berkeleybrain 06-05-2013 11:09 PM

I took it as well. Maybe it was too early after the accident, but I felt very numb and disconnected from myself, my thoughts and feelings. A zombie.

I also found that valium was horrible as well. It didn't provide enough deep, REM sleep. I slept but wasn't rested. A zombie.

I have found propanolol and trazodone work for headache and sleep.

Best of luck!

mouse1 06-07-2013 03:13 AM

It looks like I wont be needing the Amitriptyline now.

The Cymbalta was causing excess stomach acid, so regular use of Gaviscon seems to has settled the diarrhea. Now I can continue on the minimum dose of Cymbalta which is enough to erradicate some of the lingering symptoms of PCS.

MsRriO 06-10-2013 12:37 AM

I've been on it for months with good results. Improved sleep and reduction of headache, slowly, paired with other therapies.

mouse1 06-10-2013 01:42 PM

MsRIO that is good to hear, but I am going to avoid switching meds because I have one which really works. Did you also get back to work?

xanadu00 06-10-2013 07:55 PM

I just started this med a few days ago (10 mg), and so far I can't tell whether it's making a difference. I haven't noticed any negative side effects, which is good, but I'll need more time before I can say whether it's helping with sleep and/or headaches.

MsRriO 06-10-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 991003)
MsRIO that is good to hear, but I am going to avoid switching meds because I have one which really works. Did you also get back to work?

My start date is June 17.

That's after six weeks of (in my opinion) gruelling rehab. I'm so exhausted I ache. Barely can post here anymore. Fried.

mouse1 06-11-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsRriO (Post 991115)
My start date is June 17.

That's after six weeks of (in my opinion) gruelling rehab. I'm so exhausted I ache. Barely can post here anymore. Fried.

Good luck with work, and pace yourself because it is tiring.

I firstly did 1 day, then 2 per week and stayed at 3 days for 2 months, before eventually settling on 4 days per week.

I am coping pretty much, but still have some symptoms all be it to a lesser extent.