NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Carrick brain center saved my life read for your own benefit!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/199413-carrick-brain-center-saved-life-read-own-benefit.html)

rjbillsfan2013 01-07-2014 04:04 PM

Carrick brain center saved my life read for your own benefit!!!

Carrick brain center in atlanta georgia saved my life, my life was hell where i had every symptom in the book from extreme visual dysfunction, nausea, balance, headache, insomnia , depression, anxiety, vertigo you name it! about three weeks later i barley have any of that besides minor glitches in my eyes which are improving daily from the precise exercises program they have for me. please youtube carrick brain center, i assure you its no placebo, its nothing like youve tried, these doctors are the smartest in the world and saved me from wanting to kill myself to loving life again in 1 week, after 5 months of no improvement. i had around 7 concussions in my lifetime, 3 in a years time playing rugby that really messed me up to where i couldnt leave my room at all , only sit in the dark and listen to audio books. i am now hanging with friends and watching tv all that.
do not sit and wait, i would of never got better and would of killed myself.
please ask me any questions i would love to share the blessing that i have encountered!!!
GET TO CARRICK!!!!!

This is the message i sent on facebook after returning, if someone can instruct me on how to transfer images on here, the pictures of my eyes physical appearance changing in one week will make you a believer. or go to my face book if that link works

God is amazing people, after four months of being in the dark with sunglasses on, unable to leave my house, watch tv see, or sometimes even talk, a week at carrick brain center I'm sending this message from a busy resturaunt with my uncle and parents.

The work they are doing there for brain injury is nothing short of miraculous, and if it weren't for major money corporations like the NFL trying to cover up concussion issues, you would of already heard of it. You soon will. The man who developed these techniques has an I.Q of 197, Einstein was around 160. I have learned more about brain injury in a week then 99% of doctors in the world know I can say honestly.

I may head into this field myself it's so amazing and rewarding for the doctors.
I just want to reach out and share what i know with all the other people suffering.
They have really found a cure for concussion. I'm not a hundred percent quite yet, but I am well on my way.

Thank you so much to everyone praying and bieng supportive , I can't wait to see y'all and enjoy The holiday with my family.
And friends, god bless and merry Christmas.

And seeing is believing you say? Take a look at my eyes from last Monday and how they are now.

http://https://www.facebook.com/ryan.brennan.180

rjbillsfan2013 01-07-2014 04:09 PM

my fb

scroll down to the pic of my eyes

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.brennan.180

Mark in Idaho 01-08-2014 10:35 AM

I am glad to hear that your struggles and symptoms were helped by Carrick. Not everybody who suffers a concussion has the same problems as you. Many do not get the same relief from the Carrick protocols.

cyclist569 01-12-2014 11:15 AM

Unfortunately I'm on the east coast. In order to view the picture I would need to send you a friend request. Is that okay?

rjbillsfan2013 01-15-2014 04:05 PM

Absolutely

cerebellarmaniac 01-16-2014 07:19 PM

Hi,

Thanks for discussing this and sharing your experience. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the following:
  • How much does the program cost?
  • How long did it take you to get into the program?
  • What types of exercises/tests were involved?

I am currently experiencing a movement disorder of the eye called nystagmus, and it is difficult more me to read and complete simple tasks. I also experience cognitive issues (primarily attention and memory). These issues are all related to a brain tumor I had that was located in the cerebellum.

I realize many people think Carrick is a quack. However, I think it might be worth a try. His methods also sound reasonable to me. Do you think I would be a good candidate or this program or a similar chiropractic neurology program? Thanks

cerebellarmaniac 01-16-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerebellarmaniac (Post 1044009)
Hi,

Thanks for discussing this and sharing your experience. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the following:
  • How much does the program cost?
  • How long did it take you to get into the program?
  • What types of exercises/tests were involved?

I am currently experiencing a movement disorder of the eye called nystagmus, and it is difficult more me to read and complete simple tasks. I also experience cognitive issues (primarily attention and memory). These issues are all related to a brain tumor I had that was located in the cerebellum.

I realize many people think Carrick is a quack. However, I think it might be worth a try. His methods also sound reasonable to me. Do you think I would be a good candidate or this program or a similar chiropractic neurology program? Thanks

I should note that although I had a brain tumor my other symptoms are quite similar to your's (nausea, vertigo, balance, auditory discrimination, etc). Interestingly enough NHL star Sidney Crosby head was hit in a similar region as my tumor, and he complained of similar issues as well. He ultimately saw Carrick, and is now having a great season and looks as good as new. Some of Carrick's methods seem comparable to my neuro-physiotherapist, only more rigorous and multifaceted. Maybe there is a method to his madness?

Mark in Idaho 01-16-2014 07:33 PM

cerebellarmaniac,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Carrick's protocol is oriented mostly to structural issues related to traumatic brain injuries. Your injury is disease related and likely does not fall within his protocol. Although, some of his neurochiropractic protocols may help with ancillary issues you may be experiencing.

Carrick's clinic is expensive. I have heard starting costs of $8,000 to $10,000. He has established clinics in other locations.

As I said previously, his protocols may be helpful to some and completely useless to others. It is an expensive experiment.

Please tell us about the ongoing symptoms you are experiencing. What therapies and support have you received to help you accommodate them ?

I have a fine nystagmus in my left eye. It is almost imperceptible. It takes a trained eye to notice it. I also have memory and attention issues. They are much easier to address with work-arounds and other accommodations. Memory and attention issues should not stop you from pursuing a full life. Maybe I can give you some tips for work-arounds. Tell me about how your memory and attention issues manifest.

btw, My memory skills rate in the bottom 5 to 12% of the population so I have had some serious memory challenges to overcome.

My best to you.

cerebellarmaniac 01-16-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1044013)
cerebellarmaniac,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Carrick's protocol is oriented mostly to structural issues related to traumatic brain injuries. Your injury is disease related and likely does not fall within his protocol. Although, some of his neurochiropractic protocols may help with ancillary issues you may be experiencing.

Carrick's clinic is expensive. I have heard starting costs of $8,000 to $10,000. He has established clinics in other locations.

As I said previously, his protocols may be helpful to some and completely useless to others. It is an expensive experiment.

Please tell us about the ongoing symptoms you are experiencing. What therapies and support have you received to help you accommodate them ?

I have a fine nystagmus in my left eye. It is almost imperceptible. It takes a trained eye to notice it. I also have memory and attention issues. They are much easier to address with work-arounds and other accommodations. Memory and attention issues should not stop you from pursuing a full life. Maybe I can give you some tips for work-arounds. Tell me about how your memory and attention issues manifest.

btw, My memory skills rate in the bottom 5 to 12% of the population so I have had some serious memory challenges to overcome.

My best to you.

Thanks for the response. I'm currently enrolled (since January 2014) at a outpatient rehab hospital and am meeting with an OT once a week. I am going to start an Attention Process Training Program next week. Additionally, I am likely going to work with a speech pathologist. This is in addition to a private neuro-physio work I am doing.

Luckily for me I am only 11 months post-op and am fairly young (23). However, it would be nice to know if there is any program out there that could help me out. I have reason to suspect that my vestibular issues might be responsible for, or possibly amplify, some of my cognitive issues. Perhaps Carrick's program will help my brain compensate (only one side was affected as far as I know).

rjbillsfan2013 01-16-2014 11:12 PM

i know my brain inury was directly vestibular, if ur problems are caused by ur brain stem misinterpretting info, carrick may help. Anyone who thinks hes a quack is an ignorant fool. its hard for me to say if he could help because of the tumor, i know they can help vestibular injuries from concussion. its 5000 dollars for a week, thats it.

rjbillsfan2013 01-16-2014 11:14 PM

it took me a week to get in, and since going my memory, and attention have improved exponentially along with my actual vision and balance and lessoning of all symptoms. the testing involved balance, reaction times, and a plethera of saccade movement , gaze stabalization and pursuit tests as well as VNG. the results were numerical and extremely accurate, my balance went from 49% normal to 81%. my eye moevements were numerical tracked and measured and improved greatly over the week, essentially giving me life back. their exercises consisted of literally electrocuting my tongue, temple and forehead to stimulate neurons in the fore,hind and mid brain. then doing saccade training very similar to what u would see at a vestibular rehab, except for tailored to what is actually wrong with my specific brain, so basicaly following bars and dots. they would charge up my brain to learn, then recalibrate it essentially. amazing

cerebellarmaniac 01-16-2014 11:42 PM

Thanks for the response rjbillsfan2013. One last series of questions. Which clinic did you go to? Was Carrick present?

There's a program on Canadian TV called The Nature of Things. There was an episode from two years back called The Brain That Changes Itself that I highly recommend. Incidentally, it was hosted by the author of said book.

The episode is about neuroplasticity and neurological recovery. It also covers the tongue thing you talked about. However, unfortunately you might need a Canadian IP address to watch it.

*edit*
Unfortunately most doctors I have encountered (in Canada) are not into / educated about neuro-rehab. Most of them simply tell you to rest. For example, my family physician said only people with severe head injuries are referred to rehab programs.This simply isn't true. My neuro-surgeon was able to get me into a highly regarded rehab hospital.

rjbillsfan2013 01-17-2014 09:07 PM

I went to Georgia, and it's carricks top doctors he himself travels the world and gets people out of comas, true story

QUOTE=cerebellarmaniac;1044071]Thanks for the response rjbillsfan2013. One last series of questions. Which clinic did you go to? Was Carrick present?

There's a program on Canadian TV called The Nature of Things. There was an episode from two years back called The Brain That Changes Itself that I highly recommend. Incidentally, it was hosted by the author of said book.

The episode is about neuroplasticity and neurological recovery. It also covers the tongue thing you talked about. However, unfortunately you might need a Canadian IP address to watch it.

*edit*
Unfortunately most doctors I have encountered (in Canada) are not into / educated about neuro-rehab. Most of them simply tell you to rest. For example, my family physician said only people with severe head injuries are referred to rehab programs.This simply isn't true. My neuro-surgeon was able to get me into a highly regarded rehab hospital.[/QUOTE]

soccer715 01-31-2014 05:01 PM

Thinking of trying gyrostim in colorado...do you know what percentage of people this works for? I've heard from many who said it worked but none who tried and said it didn't. Please let me know!

hockeymom1998 09-07-2014 07:59 PM

did you go tothe clinic in colorado

anon1028 09-07-2014 08:12 PM

will it help my sleep issues? my pain and severe weakness? My left side only issues, like chills and sweating? I acquired vertical nystagmus. I would put it on credit card if i had to. The pain is in head neck and ribs, shoulders and spine. Would it help with bowel/bladder issues, damaged nerves causing trouble typing sometimes? how much better would i get if i spent the 10000

Mark in Idaho 09-07-2014 08:15 PM

soccer715 has not posted since last January.

I think you are going to just have to try it to see if it works for your son. It is very difficult to compare how different people respond to a specific treatment.

hockeymom1998 09-07-2014 08:29 PM

does rest after four months of headaches make any difference at all

Hockey 09-07-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerebellarmaniac (Post 1044016)
Thanks for the response. I'm currently enrolled (since January 2014) at a outpatient rehab hospital and am meeting with an OT once a week. I am going to start an Attention Process Training Program next week. Additionally, I am likely going to work with a speech pathologist. This is in addition to a private neuro-physio work I am doing.

Luckily for me I am only 11 months post-op and am fairly young (23). However, it would be nice to know if there is any program out there that could help me out. I have reason to suspect that my vestibular issues might be responsible for, or possibly amplify, some of my cognitive issues. Perhaps Carrick's program will help my brain compensate (only one side was affected as far as I know).

I did APT and found it very helpful. I hope you have similar results. However, don't be surprised, or alarmed, if you find it absolutely exhausting at first. Good Luck.

Mark in Idaho 09-07-2014 09:54 PM

Sure, rest will always help the brain. If he hasn't been resting, it should help. If he has been resting, it would appear he needs more. The brain needs rest so it can re-establish control over fluid pressure. Then once his head aches subside, he can slowly reintroduce activity. He wants just enough activity to keep a modest blood flow through the brain.

hockeymom1998 09-07-2014 10:14 PM

he is only doing one class at school. he is not running or raising his heartrate now. he has been doing this for 12 days now. he did heavy workouts all summer with headaches. the low grade headache is still constantly there. any idea how long this takes to subside? he goes for walks with friends to get air and out of the house. no tv no xbox he still texts. his mood is pleasant. has not taken an advil for flare up in 6 days. listens to music alot. he says music doesnt worsen headache

underwater 09-07-2014 10:18 PM

I'm going to see one of his mentee's next week in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Zeilinski. he doesn't take insurance, and the visit will cost $5-600 but my local chiro hasn't charged me copays all this time so i can save up. he's been very generous and thinks Zeilinski can help more. We'll see. Certainly willing to try.

I'm in pretty decent shape compared to a few months ago, so i'm not sure i'll see a dramatic improvement.

Mark in Idaho 09-08-2014 02:00 AM

The type of music he likely listens to is not beneficial. It is too stimulating. He likely needs weeks of rest. Texting is also something he should slow down with. It creates an anxious mindset as he waits for the response.

Recovery is boring. At his age, it is hard to get him to be disciplined.

hockeymom1998 09-08-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbillsfan2013 (Post 1042020)
Carrick brain center in atlanta georgia saved my life, my life was hell where i had every symptom in the book from extreme visual dysfunction, nausea, balance, headache, insomnia , depression, anxiety, vertigo you name it! about three weeks later i barley have any of that besides minor glitches in my eyes which are improving daily from the precise exercises program they have for me. please youtube carrick brain center, i assure you its no placebo, its nothing like youve tried, these doctors are the smartest in the world and saved me from wanting to kill myself to loving life again in 1 week, after 5 months of no improvement. i had around 7 concussions in my lifetime, 3 in a years time playing rugby that really messed me up to where i couldnt leave my room at all , only sit in the dark and listen to audio books. i am now hanging with friends and watching tv all that.
do not sit and wait, i would of never got better and would of killed myself.
please ask me any questions i would love to share the blessing that i have encountered!!!
GET TO CARRICK!!!!!

This is the message i sent on facebook after returning, if someone can instruct me on how to transfer images on here, the pictures of my eyes physical appearance changing in one week will make you a believer. or go to my face book if that link works

God is amazing people, after four months of being in the dark with sunglasses on, unable to leave my house, watch tv see, or sometimes even talk, a week at carrick brain center I'm sending this message from a busy resturaunt with my uncle and parents.

The work they are doing there for brain injury is nothing short of miraculous, and if it weren't for major money corporations like the NFL trying to cover up concussion issues, you would of already heard of it. You soon will. The man who developed these techniques has an I.Q of 197, Einstein was around 160. I have learned more about brain injury in a week then 99% of doctors in the world know I can say honestly.

I may head into this field myself it's so amazing and rewarding for the doctors.
I just want to reach out and share what i know with all the other people suffering.
They have really found a cure for concussion. I'm not a hundred percent quite yet, but I am well on my way.

Thank you so much to everyone praying and bieng supportive , I can't wait to see y'all and enjoy The holiday with my family.
And friends, god bless and merry Christmas.

And seeing is believing you say? Take a look at my eyes from last Monday and how they are now.

http://https://www.facebook.com/ryan.brennan.180

i added you on facebook to talk about this.. thank you

hockeymom1998 09-08-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underwater (Post 1094854)
I'm going to see one of his mentee's next week in Portland, Oregon. Dr. Zeilinski. he doesn't take insurance, and the visit will cost $5-600 but my local chiro hasn't charged me copays all this time so i can save up. he's been very generous and thinks Zeilinski can help more. We'll see. Certainly willing to try.

I'm in pretty decent shape compared to a few months ago, so i'm not sure i'll see a dramatic improvement.

will you be doing gyrostim - do you know?

underwater 09-08-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymom1998 (Post 1094977)
will you be doing gyrostim - do you know?

i certainly hope not! i don't really have balance issues, and i would surely puke if they put me in that thing. i plan to say "no" if they try...

:)

dawneve 09-17-2014 11:56 PM

tell us more!

[QUOTE=rjbillsfan2013;1042020]Carrick brain center
What is theor protocol??/I have all those symptoms...how can they fix you so quickly?? I am so happy for you. Please tell us more. Thank you, Dawn

hockeymom1998 09-18-2014 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=dawneve;1097323]
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbillsfan2013 (Post 1042020)
Carrick brain center
What is theor protocol??/I have all those symptoms...how can they fix you so quickly?? I am so happy for you. Please tell us more. Thank you, Dawn

I am making the trip to atlanta with my son in october. i do not want to regret not exploring every avenue when it comes to his health.

PCSfog2012 09-27-2014 09:58 AM

good morning to everyone. This is my first post although I've been lurking around this forum for well over a year.

I suffer from PCS which started in Jan of 2012 following an additional concussion. I had a severe concussion about 14 months prior that resolved on its own; however the last one, which was thought to be very mild, has not resolved. Unfortunately, the symptoms of vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, neck pain, and severe ear pain (left side for all symptoms) have all worsened to the point of now being diagnosed with occipital neuralgia, atypical trigeminal neuralgia, and geniculate neuralgia.

I've been evaluated by more than 15 physicians, worked up for brain surgery for neuralgias mentioned above; and surgery for cervical spine is now recommended to free up a compressed nerve root. All of these neuralgias developed after my concussion which led to postural changes.

I've tried PT, vestibular therapy (moderately effective), acupuncture, massage, acupressure, chiropractic, and scores of other vitamin and alternative treatments without any significant improvement. I've regressed to resigning from a lucrative job, and I'm unable to do very much having been told that it will take a miracle for me to return to work or a pain free life.

First, I've been reluctant to post b/c so many of you have it so much worse than I do which my heart and prayers go out to you. I hate to come across as 'poor me' on a website where I have read gut wrenching stories of debilitating injuries.

Secondly, I've noticed that folks with 1 post following a Carrick appt seem to rave about it, but they come out of nowhere. I'm not that person. That said, like hockeymom(who I wish all the best with her trip and continued treatments for her son), I am in a position for a last chance attempt at recovering to a degree that is 'tolerable.' I just scheduled a visit to their facility in Atlanta and will be leaving tomorrow having made the appt yesterday since they had a cancellation.

I will post my honest feedback of my experience realizing that all are unique; and that one of my primary issues is vestibular injury with difficulty tracking with my eyes. It's been hypothesized that my neck injury has left my body compensating which created these pinched nerves and pain.

Sorry for the long post. Regardless of my experience there: pro or con - I pray you all find a better day for yourselves and your families.

Lara 09-27-2014 01:55 PM

Hello PCSfog2012,
Welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups. :)

Kitt 09-27-2014 03:38 PM

Welcome PCSfog2012. :Wave-Hello:

allday310 09-27-2014 04:12 PM

Yes please the more information on Carrick institue the better. I have heard it is expensive so every avenue must be studied. Hockeymom best of luck please let us know how it goes. I have been suffering since january and have heard many things but its hard to distinguish from real and scams.

Mark in Idaho 09-27-2014 05:44 PM

There are treatments that work for some people but not for others. It is the nature of concussion injuries. Just because it works for one person does not mean it will work for the next person so any testimonials of how well it works must be considered with that in light.

anon1028 09-27-2014 07:34 PM

I cant even make it over the bridge to Mount Sinai or NYU.. So travelling that far is out for me but I am very interested to see someone who has some posts to their name, come back and give us the full scoop.

hockeymom1998 09-27-2014 10:09 PM

we leave oct 12 start treatment 13th for a week. i am hoping for the best. i dont want to get too excited about it because i know every concussion is different.

cerebellarmaniac 09-28-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey (Post 1094844)
I did APT and found it very helpful. I hope you have similar results. However, don't be surprised, or alarmed, if you find it absolutely exhausting at first. Good Luck.

I found APT benefited me a lot. As a matter of fact, my most recent neuro-psych showed marked improvement in my attention and memory (some areas are still sub-par though). I also feel like I have more energy day-to-day and recovery a lot more quickly.

I'm not sure if I can attribute it all to APT, as a lot of is due to natural compensation and adaptation. However, at the very least it made me a lot more cognizant of the issues I face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCSfog2012 (Post 1099511)
one of my primary issues is vestibular injury with difficulty tracking with my eyes. It's been hypothesized that my neck injury has left my body compensating which created these pinched nerves and pain.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding the Carrick Center PCSfog2012. Also, could you please expand on the eye tracking thing please. Do you primarily have trouble making smooth movements (like tracking a moving car or fixating on a sign while moving), or saccades (like reading or counting lines on graph paper), or both? Thanks,

PCSfog2012 09-28-2014 10:44 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome and well wishes.
Mark - thanks for clarifying what I tried to say in my post about us all being unique in our injuries, recoveries, biology, etc. 1 person's experience (pro or con) by no means should be extrapolated to the population at large hence clinical trials vs. anecdotal experience. That said, I don't see a whole lot of trials 'for us.' Hell my first 6 docs didn't even diagnose PCS and they were from prestigious academic institutions.

Regarding visual tracking issues: I have both with horizontal nystagmus. I also continue to have intermittent challenges with convergence; however it was much, much worse prior to doing therapy.

Marknell1212 - I feel your pain in a big way. I'm booked to fly to Atlanta tonight and I've had insomnia for a few weeks. I can barely make it to the bathroom today; and I have no idea how on God's green earth I will make it down to Atlanta. My amazing fiancé is coming with me otherwise I would cancel b/c I can't imagine making it down the block, let alone through an airport, 2 hour flight (flights destroy me with worsening symptoms), and all of the stimuli associated with the trip. I'm working very hard at staying in the moment and taking this one step and hour at a time. Otherwise, I just want to give up.

i'm very cautiously optimistic since so many have promised 'curing', 'fixing', improving, dramatically affecting my condition and life. that said, this is my last unexplored avenue despite the lack of any data (which I'm doubtful we will ever see given the complexity of our brains and involved physiology --- at least not for several years).

I hope you're all having a better day. Thank you again for your well wishes.

Marknell1212 - FWIW - I know exactly what you are saying and that awful feeling where you just can't move. Depression? fog? Fear? dizziness? exhaustion? all of the above here. Hang in there, brother.

PCSfog2012 09-28-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markneil1212 (Post 1099625)
I cant even make it over the bridge to Mount Sinai or NYU.. So travelling that far is out for me but I am very interested to see someone who has some posts to their name, come back and give us the full scoop.

i'm curious if they will make me sign some non-disclosure forms regarding feedback given the 'proprietary' protocol they use.

If my post-treatment reply is limited in nature, I will do my best to honor any potential agreements (and I'm purely speculating) with them while being true to myself and the rest of those suffering. Worst case, I have no gains, in which case I would never blame them for trying to help, but I would post that I'm still in the same boat but just have a sizable credit card bill to pay.

allday310 09-28-2014 04:04 PM

Yeah i hear all of you. I would have to travel thousands of miles and pay a hefty price. Everyone is different but sometimes what works for one can also work for you. With that being said getting to attached with hope will lead to a big fall if things dont go right. Im just curious because so little is said of that place

dawneve 09-28-2014 10:23 PM

Do you know if anyone on here has tried the Fisher Wallace stimulator??