NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Medical Alert tags (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/21450-medical-alert-tags.html)

Hippyhair 06-09-2007 08:34 AM

Medical Alert tags

Hi to all! I hope your day is a good one!
I was wondering what info should be added to a medical alert bracelet? Should I just say RSD/CRPS? Should I somehow state something about injections?
Thanks!
Hippy

Abbie 06-09-2007 08:53 AM

Good question!!
I've been thinking the same thing.
I'm not quite sure what to put on one as so many in the medical profession have never heard of RSD/CRPS.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,
abbie

Desi 06-09-2007 01:31 PM

Hi Hippie and Abby. My surgeon who diag. me said the Dr.'s will know what RSD/CRPS is. A lot of them never heard of TOS.. including my pain doctor. I would suggest however, if ya don't want to put this on your medical bracelet.. that we can ask our "Good understand doctor's what to put down". Mine would say.. surgery only if NEEDED.. I have RSD!!! Love, Desi:hug:

Abbie 06-09-2007 01:47 PM

Hey Desi,
Thanks for the GREAT IDEA... I'll ask my doc what he thinks should be on a med alert tag!

Funny about some docs knowing and some not... My doc had heard of it but had never treated anyone before me. He now uses me to teach other docs in the area about RSD

Maybe it's a geographical thing about docs knowing one disease/syndrome over another... could that be possible??? (things that make ya go hmmm?)

Gotta love it when my doc brings in a group of docs and says look at this girl, she's the one I've been telling you about... (For some reason I always get the feeling like Jeff Foxworthy says...HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS.) I have yet to meet one of these doctors that has seen someone with RSD...some have heard the name but that's all---they don't know anything about it. I tell them as much as I can about it and show them what it looks like on me with hopes that if they see it again..they will have a heads up.

Anyway... sorry to go off in a wierd direction here... but THANKS AGAIN for the suggest to ask doc!!!

:hug: Abbie

Hippyhair 06-09-2007 02:18 PM

Abbi & Desi...

Thanks for the input, I have to take the form to the Doc to fill out a section anyway, and he can help me decide.
Thanks again!
Hippy

Hippyhair 06-09-2007 02:36 PM

From an RSD site..

SURGERY AND RSDS

SURGERY AFTER A PATIENT HAS RSDS CAN CAUSE AN EXACERBATION OF THE DISEASE. NOT IN ALL CASES THOUGH.

IF SURGERY MUST BE PERFORMED, PROPER PRECAUTIONS MUST BE TAKEN, SUCH AS MAKING SURE YOUR PAIN DOCTOR IS HEAVILY INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS AND THAT SYMPATHETIC BLOCKS BE USED BEFORE AND DURING THE PROCEDURE.

JUST ONE MORE REASON WHY DRS SHY AWAY FROM RSDS PATIENTS, IT'S UNDERSTANDABLE BUT TRAGIC.

Maybe, on the tag, it should just say, RSD, sympathetic block maybe be reg'd, consult Dr. (I don't know how many words can fit on one little tag! hee hee

Joselita 06-09-2007 02:49 PM

I have one....

Hi Everyone.

Unless things have drastically changed from when I got my Medic Alert bracelet (I got one that is titanium plated, because I am allergic to other metals), they can only fit so much info on the back of the emblem. The person that you talk to on the phone when ordering your Medic Alert thingy will help you figure out what is the MOST pertinent info that should actually be engraved on the emblem. Other info can be put on their file for you, and that the Paramedics or EMTs will hear about/get when they call. They are supposed to call AS SOON as they see your emblem.

This is what I have on the back of my emblem:

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.
Takes Anticonvulsants
Allergic Wasps
(and then my reference number is engraved below all of that)

When/if you call to order a bracelet or necklace emblem (they have both available), they will tell you that they won't put initials like "RSD" or "CRPS" or "MS" or whatever else on the back of the emblems. They say that is because in an ER situation it is just best to have the actual WORDS there for the ER folks to see, and not leave ANYTHING to any "Guess work" or "assumptions" as to what a disease is.

In my FILE that they have, it has the other stuff, about my metal allergy, other meds that I take, used to have that I had my SCS implant (when I did...that has been taken off when I did an update), other allergies (like to Morphine..I cant have that stuff, it makes me horribly sick), other conditions and problems that I have, and who my doctors are. When an ER worker sees your Medic Alert emblem that are supposed to call right then (the 800 # is also engraved on the back of the thing) and get all of the info that you have on file.

Pretty much, you have to think about what is the MOST important info that you might need communicated to the ER folks if you were not able to talk for yourself. In my case, it is pretty important that they know about my Wasp Allergy, because that could very possibly be the cause of my not being able to communicate. They need to know about my RSD (rather they KNOW what it is right then or not....they will have to start figuring it out. BTW, I have had LOTS of medical folks ask me about my bracelet and what "Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy" is....so it is a way to help educate folks too), and they need to know about the anticonvulsants, because that is pretty important (incase of them NOT giving it to me, or giving me something that interferes with it. When I put that on there, I was taking Neurontin. Now I take Topomax). Like I said, once they call the 800 #, they will get the entire list of meds that I take.

I think that it is only smart to have a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace to help us take care of ourselves as best we can. I hope that I didn't make matters more confusing by butting in here, but that maybe it helped a little to hear from someone that already has one of these things.

I hope that you all have a good weekend.

((hugs))
Jose

theoneRogue420 06-11-2007 03:39 AM

I just happen to have Michael and my applications for Medic-Alert right here in front of me ;) I, too, believe it's important to wear one... especially for people like us, who have aids. I'm not so worried about myself, but I'd hate for anyone who tried to help me to get sick from doing so. That's my worst nightmare. Just let me die, please! Don't touch me!

If there is a financial problem, the kind folks at Medic-Alert have what they call "sponsored memberships". Just about anyone on SSI or SSD qualifies to get their tags for free. Way to go Medic-Alert! You people rock! :D

But I do have a question for everyone... I will be sending out these apps in the next day or two, so I need advice quick, please. Should I go with RSD, or should I use the soon-to-be more recognizable term CRPS? I know they have to write it all out, no initials, so wondering if crpsII would even fit?!?

artist 06-11-2007 05:10 AM

Hi Rogue,

Specifically for you,what about "Causalgia"? No confusion, and it's short.
all the best :)

InHisHands 07-25-2007 06:42 PM

I am about to get one, and I am putting:

"Vanessa **** *****
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
Medication list in wallet"

What do you think? There are too many meds for me to list them on the bracelet.

Also, where is a cheap way to buy one (a $20 one'd be fine and I keep finding $40+ ones!)?

TIA! :hug:

InHisHands 07-25-2007 08:40 PM

Ahh... just found this site:
http://www.americanmedical-id.com/ma...ocationinvoked

They have sport bands too, so they won't irriate the RSD wrists so much by sliding back and forth like a bracelet type would. I am planning on one of these (though they do look more "childish"- I don't care! Comfort means more to me!)... HTH someone!

lostmary 07-25-2007 08:42 PM

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. it has Reflex Sympathic dystropy, the neurontin, allergic to metal..then my number. they keep all the med info and all on file. I got a sports band and I can't wear the real nice ones. they are only 19.00. I got mine in all black. take a look at them
Mary

InHisHands 07-25-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostmary (Post 128491)
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. it has Reflex Sympathic dystropy, the neurontin, allergic to metal..then my number. they keep all the med info and all on file. I got a sports band and I can't wear the real nice ones. they are only 19.00. I got mine in all black. take a look at them
Mary

Found ones just about that price, Mary:
http://www.medicalert.org/Home/HomeC...Catalog=Sports

Thanks for the help!

I decided on:
my full name,
Reflex Sympathetic
Dystrophy (CRPS)
Medication list in
Wallet *** *** **** (phone number- gee, I forgot that first time around! :o)

HTH someone... I went with the first site I posted, I loved the purple with light blue.

Desi 07-25-2007 10:05 PM

I have a Red thick rubber one with soft snaps that say; RSD awarness.. but Ness, I LOVE THIS!! thank you!! Love, Desi

lostmary 07-26-2007 07:33 AM

Ness,
that is the same one that i have. My watch is a black plastic band that I wear on my left wrist. I wear my medi one on my right, and it really doesn't look to childish. I don't think I would wear it to a formal, but for me, it look ok with most things. it is very comfortable also. Give it a try. I love mine. also, mine came with a card for my purse with the same infomation on it, and a sticker for the car window saying that someone in the car has a medi alert problem. that way, if in an accident, they would see it on the window. I feel much safer now that I have it. good luck on yours.
Mary

dealingwithtos 07-26-2007 08:48 AM

Hi Everyone.

Just want to comment. I just ordered mine also. Most doctors don't know what RSD stands for - surprisingly enough. I put Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy - See meds. Then I have the printout of my medications in my wallet. Because my medications could change - I didn't want to put any specifics.

Also - just a note - I used to work at an ambulance company. They are trained to look for a bracelet in case of an emergency. If you have something that says to see medications, they will look in your wallet. They will probably look in your wallet anyway - well the Police will in the event of an emergency. So, if you have your medications along with your DL in the same place, they'll get all the information they need. I am able to get a printout of all information - including surgeries - from my physician on their website. So, I can print an updated sheet anytime I need to - without needing to engrave it on my bracelet.

Just a thought.

dreambeliever128 07-26-2007 12:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

My thought is that you have to be lucky enough to get ambulance people and Drs. to even know what to do if they see the bracelet or if they care.

When I was taken to the hospital by ambulance 2 weeks ago, my daughter handed the ambulance guys my magnet for my VNS, it's a bracelet, and they thought that it was the VNS itself. I was puking my guts out and Susan wasn't with them to explain that it shuts down my VNS.

When I got to the hospital the Drs. in the ER could have cared less also. I never stopped throwing up the whole 6 hours to tell them what to do with it. She also gave them the card I carry and they didn't bother to call anyone to see what to do about it.

Of course, all of you might not have a hospital that has the last name of Moore and people changed it to Morge. LOL

It's great to have that info. but man getting Physicians to give a s**t is another thing.

Ada

Imahotep 07-26-2007 03:10 PM

I have a card in my wallet which says "extremely sensitive to pain, noise, and light", I should add "do not revive" but that's a little too scary.

It lists the medication and condition so any doctor should have some sort of idea of the problem and at least perform an epidural if necessary.

frogga 07-26-2007 04:11 PM

I have just got one that you can write on as my meds and condition change as time goes by.

I'm going to write

RSD, HMS, Dystonia, Osteoporotic. Has conscious fits.
Takes Ketamine, Diazipam, Dihydrocodeine, Nortriptylene, Paracetemol, Ibuprofen, Domperidone, Baclofen, Trihexyphenydryl. DO NOT PLACE IN WITHDRAWEL.
EXTREMELY SENSITIVE TO LIGHT, TOUCH, SOUND. DO NOT TOUCH UNLESS ABSOLOUTLY NECESSARY.
Hoist dependent. Fixed joints.

Contact Pain management clinic before any procedures are done as preventative measures are needed to prevent worsening of the condition.

etc etc etc

What do you think?

Love ya

Froggsy xxxxxxxx

theoneRogue420 07-27-2007 04:33 AM

I got mine a few days ago, here's what it says:

AIDS,CRPS
ASTHMA,
EPILEPSY,
IMMUNOSUP-
PRESSED

Then has the ID# below. No name, addy, or personal info at all. That idea bothered me.

They will NOT put "DNR" (do not resuscitate) on it... I asked.

As far as anyone ignoring the bracelet.... oh well! The main reason I wanted it was to protect any would-be rescuers. I wanted them to know I have aids before they do anything they might regret. If their own ignorance keeps them from figuring that out, then I at least am blameless.

My big issue is with the clasp on the bracelet. I guess you are supposed to put it on and leave it permanently, but I only leave the house twice a month,
so wearing it every day seems ridiculous. But that clasp is a huge pain in the you-know-where.

I guess the answer is to make my own bracelet, using the clasps I want that are easier to open/close. But will anyone recognize it as a Medic Alert bracelet if I make changes to it? Hmmm.

Curious 07-27-2007 08:02 AM

rogue

here is thread that shows some of the alert bracelets ellie made:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=5237

aren't ems trained to look for the symbol on the tags? just me being curious again. :wink:

dreambeliever128 07-27-2007 08:18 AM

Hi curious,

I think they have to want to take the time. They have to care what the special orders are for a patient. Some donot.

We go through that with hospitals all of the time where they don't listen to what the patient says about sensitivites to meds, tapes, even after being told.

I see people on here talk about how the Nurses rip their tap off even after they say they are sensitive to pain.

They aren't all like that but a lot of times they have this, I know what I'm doing attitude.

I read the back of my card yesterday and it says that the VNS can be shut down by taping the magnet over the area where the box is. They didn't do it.

I've had Drs. to give me valium after telling them I can't take it.

They still aren't educated enough at times on certain things to think it's important enough to do those things asked of them.

Ada